Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520621 times)

El Babua

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #18600 on: February 18, 2017, 05:15:45 AM »
lmao Kyrie is a flat-earther

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

etiolate

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #18601 on: February 18, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »
To be fair, they don't offer that class until the second year at Duke.

etiolate

Re: The NBA thread (All-Star game Sunday)
« Reply #18602 on: February 18, 2017, 10:30:57 PM »
Maybe one of the worst All Star Saturday nights that I can remember. Sager bit saved it, but 3pt contest and dunk contest had a bunch of C tier stuff.

etiolate

« Reply #18603 on: February 19, 2017, 11:55:42 PM »
I'm done with the Kings. Might be one of the worst trades of all time.

El Babua

« Reply #18604 on: February 19, 2017, 11:57:16 PM »
No lie, I feel sorry for you man.

Holy shit, fire the entire organization.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #18605 on: February 19, 2017, 11:59:59 PM »
Pels need to get that 8th seed now, probably the only team that can stop the dubs

etiolate

« Reply #18606 on: February 20, 2017, 12:04:52 AM »
I want that new arena empty every game from now on.

etiolate

Re: The NBA thread (Cousins traded to the Pelicans)
« Reply #18607 on: February 20, 2017, 12:31:45 AM »
I hope the best for Boogie, but the way this played out is unfortunate for the Pels. This rather fucks with Cousins' head. He just dropped several interviews saying he wanted Sac, committed to the team and was mentally at peace for once.  The Kings had every reason to not do this.

So I expect he'll get more techs. I am sure he likes playing with AD. That's already one of the best frontcourts to ever play. The problem is that I think Gentry is not a good coach and Cuz doesn't like sudden change.

etiolate

« Reply #18608 on: February 20, 2017, 12:38:07 AM »
Apparently Vivek balked at paying Cousins the big contract.

From one idiot owner to another.

etiolate

« Reply #18609 on: February 20, 2017, 12:50:26 AM »
I got no explanation.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18610 on: February 20, 2017, 12:52:38 AM »
They're also getting the 2010 Rookie of the Year Tyreke Evans.

etiolate

« Reply #18611 on: February 20, 2017, 01:00:24 AM »
Philly owns their swap rights and they are probably now going to tank hard.

Cousins/Davis is insane as a frontcourt, but the Pels are only slightly less distinguished mentally-challenged as a front office. They get one decent wing player and they can actually scare the Dubs in a first round series. I just think Gentry is plain toast as a coach.

etiolate

« Reply #18612 on: February 20, 2017, 01:05:33 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #18614 on: February 20, 2017, 01:18:48 AM »
watch Kings flip Evans and the picks for Okafor

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18615 on: February 20, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »
God, let the Pelicans miss the playoffs and win the draft lottery.

Remember how the NBA felt like it had to step in cause of the way Sam Hinkie was running the 76ers?

Nola

« Reply #18616 on: February 20, 2017, 01:26:59 AM »
Wow, the Pelicans will be killing it big men wise now. Probably the shot in the arm they needed.

Lol Kings are dead.

8 of our 14 roster spots have players who's natural position is the 4 or 5.

First bench mob unit of all big men coming at you!

etiolate

« Reply #18617 on: February 20, 2017, 01:40:15 AM »
Nola will Gentry run a proper offense around Cousins and Davis? Cuz nobody is stopping that. You could literally run a a Davis/Boogie PnR with Cuz as the ball handler.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18618 on: February 20, 2017, 01:44:18 AM »
Remember how the NBA felt like it had to step in cause of the way Sam Hinkie was running the 76ers?

I was posting this to point out how there hasn't been any intervention with Sacramento, in contrast.

But now I've been reminded that thanks to Hinkie, the 76ers get to swap 1st round picks with the Kings this year, so even if the King's lucked into winning the lottery, they'd probably wind up picking around 4th or 5th.

AND the 76ers have the King's 2019 first rounder, which is completely unprotected, and probably more valuable now that they've reset the team.

AND the Kings didn't get assets back for those picks, they were part of a salary dump.

AND that salary dump was to clear space which they eventually used on Rajon Rondo, Marco Belinelli, and Kosta Koufos.

Lordy.

Nola

« Reply #18619 on: February 20, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
Nola will Gentry run a proper offense around Cousins and Davis? Cuz nobody is stopping that. You could literally run a a Davis/Boogie PnR with Cuz as the ball handler.

Gentry is the biggest ??? for me. But he's been that way for me since we hired him, so I am a bit biased.

On paper he is close to the opposite coach of what you would want building around two big men in their mold. A heavily system coach known for maximizing and emphasizing guard play... But how hard can it be to do like you just said lol?

But recent reports about the culture Gentry fostered does have me a bit worried. Lots of talk about how poorly prepared and unfocused the locker room is under Gentry.

etiolate

« Reply #18620 on: February 20, 2017, 01:54:42 AM »
Kings are probably going to start dumping vets. Might get a pick back that way, but it's such a mess that who knows. I feel bad for Joerger, who had righted the ship. I can only assume this comes from Vivek and left it to Vlade, and Vlade is just fucking terrible at trades.

etiolate

« Reply #18621 on: February 20, 2017, 01:59:21 AM »
I like Buddy too, but as a compliment to a star. Not to replace a fucking one-in-a-lifetime player.

You have to be so completely sheltered from reality that you have no finger on the pulse of things to think this move won't curse your franchise for years. They did this once already by firing Malone and I think this will do it again. They truly have no connection with reality.

Nola

« Reply #18622 on: February 20, 2017, 02:04:11 AM »
I think Buddy is going to be a much better player then a lot of the hot takes(not here but all over elsewhere) I am reading that haven't really watched him.

I would of gladly gave up an unprotected 2019 first rounder instead of giving up Buddy.

I think the Kings may actually be good for him because he won't be stuck in this weird role in New Orleans where I don't think Gentry was doing right by him. Though I agree he is ultimately not and never will be your #1 franchise player.

etiolate

« Reply #18623 on: February 20, 2017, 02:09:13 AM »
It's going to be funny if the NBA puts in that new rule to help small markets keep their stars and then George and Cousins get traded away.

Nola

« Reply #18624 on: February 20, 2017, 02:23:56 AM »

etiolate

« Reply #18625 on: February 20, 2017, 02:27:10 AM »
The good news on Gentry is that if he flubs it up, there will be a long line of coaches who want the job.

benjipwns

« Reply #18627 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:24 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #18628 on: February 20, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »
whatever happened to "basketball reasons"

etiolate

« Reply #18629 on: February 20, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
Yeah, if there ever was a case for stepping in, it's this. However, the basketball reasons happened while the NBA had part owernship of the team.They don't have that situation here. There's still major dysfunction a la the Sixers.

And Grant's a piece of shit weasel. He backed the Maloofs while they were lying to the fans and his audience base is pretty much racist old white men. He had problems with Webber, too. Said he was a cancer. Etc. Any expressive large black man the team has had, he's taking shots at. It's always been suspect as fuck.

etiolate

« Reply #18630 on: February 20, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
Vlade on the trade:

-had a better offer two days ago but it passed
-then worried he wouldn't get any better trade, went with NO
-Learned he can't trust agents
-Said he wasn't trading Cousins to Marc Stein cuz he wasn't getting offers (??????????)
-positions don't matter

Just sublime fuckery.

Nola

« Reply #18631 on: February 20, 2017, 07:11:04 PM »
Yeah, if there ever was a case for stepping in, it's this. However, the basketball reasons happened while the NBA had part owernship of the team.They don't have that situation here. There's still major dysfunction a la the Sixers.

And Grant's a piece of shit weasel. He backed the Maloofs while they were lying to the fans and his audience base is pretty much racist old white men. He had problems with Webber, too. Said he was a cancer. Etc. Any expressive large black man the team has had, he's taking shots at. It's always been suspect as fuck.

The irony in all this is the guy on the winning side of this trade is who that whole meme centered around. And his awful deal to send CP3 to the Lakers for over the hill leftovers and I guess Goran Dragic.

And it took an almost as incompetent organization as the Kings, in the Pelicans, to let Demps stay on and keep failing until he finally lucked into a home run a week after trying to offer nearly the same deal for fucking Jahlil Okafor lol.

benjipwns

« Reply #18632 on: February 20, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »
A front-office source familiar with the Kings' thinking said owner Vivek Ranadive's adoration of Hield was a key driver in the deal. "Vivek thinks Buddy has Steph Curry potential," the source told ESPN's Baxter Holmes.

benjipwns

« Reply #18633 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:31 PM »
Ever since his group purchased 65 percent of the Kings, rescuing them from Seattle's clutches, Ranadive's worlds have merged. Or collided, depending on the perspective. He speaks in slogans and hyperbole, a subset of the language he calls V-speak. In his speeches he talks about the world entering "Civilization 3.0," and in interviews he talks about the Kings being the forerunners of "NBA 3.0." He refers to the team's new arena, scheduled to open for the 2016-17 season, as "WBA" -- World's Best Arena. He says he intends for Sacramento to become the "basketball capital of the globe." It's basketball as TED Talk.

He has an affinity for leading groups in "Silicon Valley cheers." When Nik Stauskas was on a conference call with Kings executives after being drafted with the No. 8 pick last year, Ranadive led the room in a "1-2-3 -- Nik rocks!" cheer.
The Kings' collapsing season has made Ranadive the target of Internet snark for his suggestions that his teams play "positionless basketball" -- not a new concept -- and employ a four-on-five defense with one player hanging back for easy baskets.
"There are a lot of stories out there that I was telling players what to do and telling the coach what to do," Ranadive says. "None of it was true. They were saying I was advocating playing five-on-four defense with a cherry picker, and I never suggested that. One time we were lamenting the fact that our starters were really good, we'd go up 15 and then our bench would come in and we'd go down five points. And I just said, 'Has anyone ever thought about having four guys on defense and one guy cherry-picking, and if we get a stop we can get our two points back?' I thought in the last part of a quarter, maybe, when you're up 10 and you want to keep the lead, is that a strategy that could be used in the NBA?

"And by the way, I had a number of owners email me saying I wasn't the first guy to think of that. One said, 'I've asked that for years.'"
Ranadive wasn’t finished with this point. In fact, of the five, this is the one he says led to Malone’s dismissal.

“Defense is great, but we need defense and offense,” he said. “We need to go from a rules-based organization, which was important when you had chaos, to a values-based organization. From kind of a programmatic offense, to a read-and-respond, free-flowing offense. I like to use a music metaphor. We had a Sousa marching band, which was needed when there was chaos, but now we need to shift to a jazz band, where people can be individually showcased and improvised. What we need is a jazz director. I think that’s the kind of leadership moving forward.”
“I’ve been beaten before,” he said. “They said that Seattle had won, and we would never be able to keep this team. People said that Cousins was toxic, and he was a cancer and we should get rid of him. They said that Rudy [Gay] was terrible, and even if he came, he would never stay. They said if Isaiah [Thomas] left, the team would fall apart. So look, I’m surrounded by really smart people, and they give me great advice. They call the shots, and I support them.”

etiolate

« Reply #18634 on: February 20, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »
Sorry beni.

Reposting for emphasis.

“I’ve been beaten before,” he said. “They said that Seattle had won, and we would never be able to keep this team. People said that Cousins was toxic, and he was a cancer and we should get rid of him. They said that Rudy [Gay] was terrible, and even if he came, he would never stay. They said if Isaiah [Thomas] left, the team would fall apart. So look, I’m surrounded by really smart people, and they give me great advice. They call the shots, and I support them.”

etiolate

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18636 on: February 21, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
The Lakers are fucked. :lawd
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #18637 on: February 21, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »
The Cousins trade was so bad that it got Mitch and Jim fired for not taking advantage of Vlade. :lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18638 on: February 21, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
Drummond traded?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQx_zSFgLCD/

rumor pointing to Boston

etiolate

« Reply #18639 on: February 21, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
You still get Cousins for next year, which is a good amount of time to convince him to stay. If you win with him then he's on board.

The Kings got crap value not because of what Boogie is worth but what other teams thought the Kings were worth. You don't deliver your best offer to a guy who you're sure is an easy mark.

benjipwns

« Reply #18640 on: February 21, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
Somebody on twitter the other night noted that Andre and Buddy Hield are the same age.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #18641 on: February 21, 2017, 04:19:34 PM »
In a move that drastically reshapes the leadership structure of one of the NBA's most illustrious franchises two days before the league's trade deadline, the Los Angeles Lakers have named Hall of Famer Magic Johnson their new president of basketball operations while firing both longtime general manager Mitch Kupchak and executive vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18734012/los-angeles-lakers-put-magic-johnson-charge-fire-mitch-kupchak-jim-buss

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: The NBA thread (Buss Out. Magic In)
« Reply #18642 on: February 21, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »
Oh boy

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #18643 on: February 21, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »
Jimbo should've been purged years ago and was only there because Dr. Buss treated fail sons as equivalent to children who have been in the family business since age 18. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Mitch was probably collateral damage, but he'll look much better when we behold the horror that is President Magic.

Syph

« Reply #18644 on: February 21, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
inb4 Lowry to Lakers
XO

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #18645 on: February 21, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
Buss sucked but he basically he lost his job because he extended Kobe with that insane contract that delayed the rebuilding process.

I love Magic but the only really answer for the Lakers is to actually commit to the rebuilding process. The landscape has changed. The money is split around nowadays and the Lakers name doesn't mean the same thing it meant in the 70's, 80's and 90's. You can be rich and get paid anywhere. You can't just name brand your way through it like they could in the past.

benjipwns

« Reply #18646 on: February 21, 2017, 08:37:29 PM »
Magic getting to work:
The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to trade sixth-man Lou Williams to the Houston Rockets in exchange for swingman Corey Brewer and a first-round pick, sources told ESPN, confirming multiple reports.

Syph

« Reply #18647 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
as seen on thecoli:

"Damn two healthy whitemen got kicked out of their jobs by a nicca with HIV. This isn't the Trump America I was expecting"

:dead
XO

benjipwns

« Reply #18648 on: February 21, 2017, 11:08:05 PM »
Lakers confirmed that was Magic's first deal and he's the guy to contact in the front office for all moves. :doge
There’s been questions around the league of who to call with the Lakers in advance of Thursday’s trade deadline. It’s unequivocally Magic. Magic is the person who made the trade with Houston for Lou Williams. He’s the person working the phones.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18649 on: February 21, 2017, 11:45:10 PM »
A guy who just turned 30 with a 24 PER, for a complete garbage player and what will probably be the 26th or 27th pick in the draft. That's basically a second round pick at that point. Awful move.

If they were getting a pick from like Denver or Milwaukee or a team around that area of the standings, that would be a different story.
Alternately it's a 30-year-old guard with a career playoff PER in the middle of an outlier season.

They could have maybe gotten a slightly better pick, but I don't see this as a bad deal.

benjipwns

« Reply #18650 on: February 22, 2017, 04:36:59 AM »
Adrian Wojnarowski: Teams have told me in the last 24 hours that (the Knicks) have been really aggressive trying to move Derrick Rose for almost anything, to see if they can get any value back for him.
Adrian Wojnarowski on DeMarcus Cousins trade: Once (the Kings front office) they got Vivek on board, they didn’t want him to change his mind again. That was part of the reason they rushed on Sunday to get the deal done.

Syph

« Reply #18651 on: February 22, 2017, 04:46:35 AM »
Man I had such high hopes for D Rose and Carmelo. Real high. Wtf happened
spoiler (click to show/hide)
it's not their fault
[close]
XO

etiolate

« Reply #18652 on: February 22, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »
I know the Kings stuff only matters to me, but this is the same fuckery that happened with the Maloofs.

http://deadspin.com/sacramento-radio-guy-pulled-off-air-over-anti-vlade-div-1792654041

Not only did they suspend a guy for being critical of Vlade's presser, but their morning host who has been critical and was the guy at the Cousins goodbye part has been MIA for 18 hours. He wasn't on the morning show and has been silent on social media. He could just be exhausted, but he's not normally quiet on twitter. He was also fired from the same station in the past for criticizing the Maloofs and was rehired after the team was sold to the Vivek group.

benjipwns

« Reply #18653 on: February 23, 2017, 03:31:03 PM »
Oklahoma City Thunder get:
Taj Gibson, F
Doug McDermott, F
2018 second-round pick

Chicago Bulls get:
Anthony Morrow, G
Joffrey Lauvergne, C
Cameron Payne, G

Philadelphia 76ers get:
Andrew Bogut, C
Justin Anderson, F
Top-18 protected first-round pick

Dallas Mavericks get:
Nerlens Noel, F

Atlanta Hawks get:
Ersan Ilyasova, F
Future second-round pick

Philadelphia 76ers get:
Tiago Splitter, C
Draft considerations

Washington Wizards get:
Bojan Bogdanovic, SG
Chris McCullough, PF

Brooklyn Nets get:
Andrew Nicholson, PF
Marcus Thornton, SG
2017 first-round pick (lottery-protected)

Wizards spying on my Nets "MyGM" in 2K17 dealing for my starting forwards because of their hott play. :doge

edit: more!
Denver Nuggets get:
Roy Hibbert, C

Milwaukee Bucks get:
Protected future second-round pick

NEW ORLEANS -- In a move to add salary-cap space, the Houston Rockets traded forward K.J. McDaniels to the Brooklyn Nets on Thursday afternoon just before the 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, according to a source.

The Rockets also traded Tyler Ennis to the Lakers in exchange for fellow guard Marcelo Huertas, a source said. Houston is expected to waive Huertas.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:35:51 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #18654 on: February 23, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/demarcus-cousins-trade-baffling-way-164959196.html
But here is where it gets even uglier for the Kings. According to several NBA insiders, including Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical, the Kings lied to Cousins' agents about wanting to trade him, and NBA agents are not happy.

"We know that Vlade Divac, their GM, had been very, publicly and privately, had been pretty emphatic that they were not going to do this," Wojnaroski said on his podcast. "He came out publicly and said, 'I'm not going to trade Cousins at the deadline. He's going to be here. We want to re-sign him.' And he told that to Cousins and he told that to Cousins' agents, Jarinn Akana and Dan Fegan."
"Several agents have already told me that [Sacramento] has lost all credibility after assuring Cousins he would not be traded this year and extended,"

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18655 on: February 23, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
Nerlens Noel, save us!
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #18656 on: February 23, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
The Pelicans are now expected to waive Terrence Jones, according to sources, so that he can pursue other options.
The Mavs have told Deron Williams they will pay off the full remaining amount of his deal if he wants to be a free agent, league sources say
rumor was he wanted to go back to Utah

benjipwns

« Reply #18657 on: February 23, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
apparently Phil was demanding picks along with Rubio for Rose and then at the last minute offered to do it straight one-for-one but the deadline was past

NEW YORK KNICKS BASKETBALL

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #18658 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
地平線

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #18659 on: February 23, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »
apparently Phil was demanding picks along with Rubio for Rose and then at the last minute offered to do it straight one-for-one but the deadline was past

NEW YORK KNICKS BASKETBALL

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/446043004756062208
©@©™