Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520664 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #19320 on: November 01, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »
Watching the Cavs play is infuriating...

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19321 on: November 01, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
So bad. The defense is wretched. Kevin Love is one of the worst defensive players ever.

The offensive is bland, predictable garbage.

I knew Kyrie was good but I had no idea without him, the effect would be that this team looks wretchedly old, and slow.

It's really bad. These games aren't close. These teams are beating them wire to wire. And by good margins. And on the road.

Lue really is in danger of being fired even this early.

/end rant

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19322 on: November 02, 2017, 01:53:46 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19323 on: November 02, 2017, 02:06:44 AM »
is league pass broadband still shit? it's been some years since I had it, but think I remember it starting to actually improve the last year I had it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19324 on: November 03, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »
Took a super human effort from Lebron to drag them to a win.

57 points.

James shot 23-for-34 from the field, 9-for-9 from the free throw line and added a game-high 11 rebounds as well as seven assists. The 23 made field goals were a career high.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:23:54 PM by Stoney Mason »

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #19325 on: November 04, 2017, 12:36:54 AM »
is league pass broadband still shit? it's been some years since I had it, but think I remember it starting to actually improve the last year I had it.

highest res is 720p, i think only 30fps. I ended up buying through vpn... sad that "pirated" streams is better quality than the official.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19326 on: November 04, 2017, 04:57:16 AM »
When does IT come back? Seems like the Cavs will be fine when he's added.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19327 on: November 04, 2017, 04:06:54 PM »
When does IT come back? Seems like the Cavs will be fine when he's added.

No one knows. Most guess it won't be until after the new year.

etiolate

« Reply #19328 on: November 04, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
Cousins is having a monster year. I want to see the Pels push for a playoff spot so I can watch the NBA 'experts' who ran with the narrative explain how Boogie makes a team work despite that team being about 3 players deep. (And JRue has been awful this year.)

El Babua

« Reply #19329 on: November 05, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »
Heat look like a team that will end every game by either being up or down a score.

Not wrong lol

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #19330 on: November 06, 2017, 02:44:33 AM »
Porzingis is the greatest Knick ever.. Discuss

etiolate

« Reply #19331 on: November 06, 2017, 12:18:08 PM »
Philly has sorta fucked over Okafor. KP added off the dribble stuff to his game that wasn't as well known at the time of the draft.

People are kindly forgetting that every Philly pick and player was asked to lose coming in until the year Hinkie got ousted and Embiid/Saric could finally see the court.

benjipwns

« Reply #19332 on: November 06, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
It's funny how many teams are rumored to actually want Okafor yet the Sixers don't want to play him off the bench to showcase him as potentially one of those no-D scorers who wreck opposing benches like Maresse Speights or whatever. It's not like they have any other centers. Just stick him out there for the 20 minutes Embiid sits and flank him with shooters and ballhandlers which he hasn't played with. Or get really nuts and play Okafor-Embiid-Saric-Simmons-Covington to start the second half or fourth quarter of games just to watch other teams panic for a couple weeks.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #19333 on: November 07, 2017, 06:46:43 AM »
It's funny how many teams are rumored to actually want Okafor yet the Sixers don't want to play him off the bench to showcase him as potentially one of those no-D scorers who wreck opposing benches like Maresse Speights or whatever. It's not like they have any other centers. Just stick him out there for the 20 minutes Embiid sits and flank him with shooters and ballhandlers which he hasn't played with. Or get really nuts and play Okafor-Embiid-Saric-Simmons-Covington to start the second half or fourth quarter of games just to watch other teams panic for a couple weeks.

he can't be a blackhole on both ends of the floor. but nope, they are just going to let him sit. poor guy must have 0 to none confidence.

etiolate

« Reply #19334 on: November 07, 2017, 12:31:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/927949497711386625

Interesting. Decent haul for Phoenix considering the situation.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19335 on: November 08, 2017, 03:09:23 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19336 on: November 08, 2017, 03:21:02 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19337 on: November 12, 2017, 10:23:28 AM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19338 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/PeterVecsey1/status/930242659922391040

in case it gets deleted:

@PeterVecsey1
Like Kanter is gonna 2B intimidated by LeBron, guy who stood up 2 Tayyip Erdogan. Imagine him being scared of a n*****who breathes the same air as him

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19339 on: November 13, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »
Knicks collapse in the 4th.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19341 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:36 AM »
Embiid going off.

Ball can't get off the bench.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19342 on: November 16, 2017, 02:15:25 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #19343 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:52 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19344 on: November 16, 2017, 07:57:55 PM »
I didn't mean it as a defense of him.

Celts versus Warriors in like 30 minutes

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19345 on: November 16, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
Until that big 3rd quarter run it looked like it was going to be an easy win for Golden State. Celts defense is legit.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #19346 on: November 16, 2017, 10:57:02 PM »
I think it’s more like golden state pissed the game away by shooting like poop. The looks they were getting were fine just weren’t falling

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19347 on: November 17, 2017, 09:56:28 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19348 on: November 17, 2017, 08:00:58 PM »
He's right, they didn't hold them to 94 points!

I've always found Chuck's "broader" takes better than his more specific ones. He admits he doesn't really watch the games, Kenny's really always been the one who takes it seriously. Chuck's still better than Shaq usually.

Chris Webber was still one of their better guys they had on, always hate that they let him go for Shaq even if that's an obvious move. "Players Only" on Tuesdays on NBA TV is kinda entertaining even if Greg Anthony is terrible, Webber's a good host especially when they do the segments with Isiah, McHale and Steve Smith because a bit of his 80s fanboyism comes out and it'll start to bring Smith out of his shell. Apparently that's going to move over to TNT starting in January. Worst part of it is arguably whenever they say something they recorded for 2K and I get triggered.

Also I like the weird part where they're all in the same studio even while calling the game, but Dennis Scott is sent to all the game locations to report from the sidelines. Like nobody wants him there.

etiolate

« Reply #19349 on: November 17, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »
CWebb is good, but sometimes his color commentary screams "I got lit before this game".

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #19350 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Players only is rad. Just having a couple dudes shooting the bull watching the game not trying to detail everything happening in front of them on the court and not afraid to to call a player trash makes it a million times better than any normal broadcast crew sans Walton. I’m worried it’ll turn more conventional as the season progresses

benjipwns

« Reply #19351 on: November 17, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »
My second favorite running subplot is when Greg Anthony starts talking like he was an all-star or anything beyond a backup on a contender, and everybody else kinda tunes him out. Webber totally asked Isiah to talk about the same topic Anthony just finished rambling about a couple weeks ago as if Anthony never happened. :lol

Other cool thing is seeing Isiah actually get into it and involve everybody like a point guard, he was so bad the first time he did the broadcasting rounds years ago inbetween bankrupting the CBA/coaching/GM/coaching stints but now he'll pull McHale or Webber or Smitty into his answer or whatever to enrich it. Or get a whole conversation going beyond just the original question/topic.

Speaking of "players only shows" (?) though I only catch it on YouTube, and even if Snoop showed up and seemed like he wasn't high but 75 years old, KG's improved on Area 21. I think the extended 2008 Celtics reunion episode really helped him with that as he's asking better questions, letting people talk and doing less shoutouts about every single person he names or getting distracted by random things. Candace Parker was on that Snoop episode and KG kinda caught her off guard by actually asking her specifically about the WNBA, especially how they're doing the playoffs now (seeding teams regardless of conference, starting with single elimination first rounds, reseeding after each round) and what she thought about that keeping rivalries for the biggest games of the season and he seemed legitimately interested though she clearly didn't expect to be asked such a question with Snoop sitting next to her lol. I still want Sheed to be his permanent cohost and always dressed like a bum though.

etiolate

« Reply #19352 on: November 17, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
JWill would not come out of his shell when KG had him on.

A three headed monster of KG, Payton and Sheed would be nice.

etiolate

« Reply #19353 on: November 18, 2017, 12:48:38 AM »
The Clippers are 1-9 in their last 10.

Team most likely to get blown up.

etiolate

« Reply #19354 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:43 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19355 on: November 21, 2017, 03:22:09 AM »
This is pretty good:

But it's not The King:

benjipwns

« Reply #19356 on: November 21, 2017, 07:01:54 AM »
http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/21475314/golden-state-warriors-cleveland-cavaliers-houston-rockets-officially-enter-league-legends-championship-series
Three NBA franchises will be taking their talents from the hardwood to the virtual world of League of Legends this January, confirming earlier reports by ESPN. Riot Games announced Monday the 10 franchises to compete in the upcoming 2018 North American League Championship Series, including the three teams backed by some of the biggest names in basketball: the Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers and defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors.

etiolate

« Reply #19357 on: November 21, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
Milsap out a likely three months for wrist surgery. Clippers look like they're setting up to implode and cash out their roster.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19358 on: November 22, 2017, 12:23:14 AM »
I know Lonzo is a rookie playing on a bad team. And in 5 years none of this may matter. But his offense is just

:neogaf

bluemax

« Reply #19359 on: November 22, 2017, 01:39:03 AM »
The Clippers are 1-9 in their last 10.

Team most likely to get blown up.

They've been playing without their starting guards for most of that stretch, I think Beverly just got back but Teodosic is still out awhile. Galinari was probably hurt and I forgot about it as well.
NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19360 on: November 22, 2017, 01:50:42 AM »
http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/21475314/golden-state-warriors-cleveland-cavaliers-houston-rockets-officially-enter-league-legends-championship-series
Three NBA franchises will be taking their talents from the hardwood to the virtual world of League of Legends this January, confirming earlier reports by ESPN. Riot Games announced Monday the 10 franchises to compete in the upcoming 2018 North American League Championship Series, including the three teams backed by some of the biggest names in basketball: the Houston Rockets, Cleveland Cavaliers and defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors.

benjipwns

« Reply #19361 on: November 22, 2017, 01:53:01 AM »
Gallinari has been out since the start of November and won't be back until December. He has a strained buttocks. "Really."

Until Beverly came back they were starting something called a Sindarius Thornwell and relying on Griffin to be their primary play initiator with Rivers as backup until Lou Williams comes in the game. It's tanked Griffin's shooting.

It's actually amazing how good their offense still ranks considering Rivers is a complete disaster, Wesley Johnson is Wesley Johnson, and their gaggle of young guys they were hoping could shoot some have been even worse.

It kinda makes the Jordan/Reed offensive productions lack of drop off from last season remarkable. Since a lot of people just assumed Paul was driving much of that for Jordan. Reed's just building off the step he took last season in Miami of cutting out everything except shots he can make and then going nuts with it. Tyson Chandler being one of the great all-time examples after he got away from Chicago who kept trying to make him a sometimes small forward.

etiolate

« Reply #19362 on: November 22, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/933375558624391168

edit: ESPN now saying he's out for the season.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:20:25 PM by etiolate »

bluemax

« Reply #19363 on: November 22, 2017, 10:21:22 PM »
Yeah I saw the Beverly stuff this morning and said, "so much for that post I made last night."

They finally won tonight, but this feels like a team that's going to get blown up.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19364 on: November 23, 2017, 12:13:24 AM »

Stoney Mason

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19366 on: November 27, 2017, 08:16:04 AM »
That's the unspoken thing about leg injuries. You compensate for them and put undue stress on other parts of your body and they wear out faster than they normally would.

I'll guarantee Rose will have to have hip surgeries later in his life.

etiolate

« Reply #19367 on: November 27, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »
Last Night

Gasol's reaction after being benched in the 4th: "At the end of the day, I'm as competitive as anybody. I hate not playing, that's what I value most. If I'm not on the floor, that means I'm not valued. I'm sure they knew that would hurt me the most..I'm sure they wouldn't do it to Mike."

And Today

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/935257787717836801

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19368 on: November 27, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
As bad as the cavs looked early in the season, they look good now. Lebron is having another killer season in year 15. Leading league in per.

Wade seems comfortable now in leading the second unit. Defense effort seems increased.

And all with a lot of guys still hurt.

bluemax

« Reply #19369 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:28 AM »
NO

Syph

« Reply #19370 on: November 28, 2017, 01:47:00 AM »
wow
what a year for injuries in sports
XO

etiolate

« Reply #19371 on: November 28, 2017, 07:31:26 PM »
Expected two months at least for Blake.

Ausitn Rivers tank commander.

Good news is that we'll finally see some new teams in the Western Playoffs.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19372 on: November 28, 2017, 07:50:33 PM »
Unfortunate for Blake but probably good for the clips. They were only delaying the inevitable rebuild.

benjipwns

« Reply #19373 on: November 28, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
This was a post-career meltdown I didn't see coming:
Former NBA star Ben Gordon was arrested Saturday in Los Angeles on a felony robbery charge, the latest in a recent string of troubling incidents.

Gordon, 34, was accused of punching the manager of a downtown apartment complex where he is renting, pulling a knife on the man and taking money that Gordon said was his security deposit.

He spent the weekend in jail and was released on $50,000 bail early Tuesday.

On Nov. 20, Gordon was arrested in Manhattan for driving with a forged license plate. He was given a ticket and a court date to settle that matter.

In late October, he was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation after an incident with a woman in a store he owns in Mount Vernon, New York. Police summoned by the woman found Gordon locked in the bathroom of the store. The woman told police that they had gotten into an argument and he had become physical, throwing and destroying things and then locking her in the store. The store, Of Our Own, is a center for sports rehabilitation and recovery.

In June, Gordon was arrested in Los Angeles for pulling fire alarms at his apartment building when there was no indication of a fire.

benjipwns

« Reply #19374 on: November 28, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Call it the Marcus Smart paradox.

The Boston Celtics' backup guard is among the NBA's worst shooters this season -- connecting on just 31.2 percent of shots overall -- and yet the team's offense is decidedly better when he's on the floor. The more shots that Smart misses in a game, the more Boston's win probability seems to grow.

Consider this: When Smart shoots 30 percent or worse from the field in a game this season, the Celtics are 11-0. When he shoots better than 30 percent, Boston is a mere 5-4.

While more pronounced this season, this does not appear to be happenstance. Smart's career winning percentage in games he shoots sub-30 percent is .641. That winning percentage drops to .598 in games he shoots better than 30 percent.
:lawd

bluemax

« Reply #19375 on: November 29, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »
Call it the Marcus Smart paradox.

The Boston Celtics' backup guard is among the NBA's worst shooters this season -- connecting on just 31.2 percent of shots overall -- and yet the team's offense is decidedly better when he's on the floor. The more shots that Smart misses in a game, the more Boston's win probability seems to grow.

Consider this: When Smart shoots 30 percent or worse from the field in a game this season, the Celtics are 11-0. When he shoots better than 30 percent, Boston is a mere 5-4.

While more pronounced this season, this does not appear to be happenstance. Smart's career winning percentage in games he shoots sub-30 percent is .641. That winning percentage drops to .598 in games he shoots better than 30 percent.
:lawd

Someone needs to get LaVar Ball some of that.
NO

etiolate

« Reply #19376 on: November 29, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19377 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:15 PM »
I need to start watching some of their games. Curious as to why they are struggling like they are.

I thought they got so many steals in the off-season, they were going to be legit.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19378 on: November 29, 2017, 10:27:43 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #19379 on: November 29, 2017, 10:31:36 PM »
I need to start watching some of their games. Curious as to why they are struggling like they are.

I thought they got so many steals in the off-season, they were going to be legit.

They don't have an offensive system is best I can tell.