Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519554 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #19380 on: November 30, 2017, 01:12:46 AM »
tough loss for Lakers. Ingram was balling.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19381 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:34 AM »
no dacos

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19382 on: November 30, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Forgot to mention last night that Lonzo needs to change that jumpshot. It's ridiculous.

It takes forever.

Nola

« Reply #19383 on: November 30, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
Call it the Marcus Smart paradox.

The Boston Celtics' backup guard is among the NBA's worst shooters this season -- connecting on just 31.2 percent of shots overall -- and yet the team's offense is decidedly better when he's on the floor. The more shots that Smart misses in a game, the more Boston's win probability seems to grow.

Consider this: When Smart shoots 30 percent or worse from the field in a game this season, the Celtics are 11-0. When he shoots better than 30 percent, Boston is a mere 5-4.

While more pronounced this season, this does not appear to be happenstance. Smart's career winning percentage in games he shoots sub-30 percent is .641. That winning percentage drops to .598 in games he shoots better than 30 percent.
:lawd

I wonder if it is one of those things where Smart feels the confidence to take more shots(and bad shots at that) when Boston is winning games? Like when you put in scrubs that are taking ridiculous circus shots because they are up 15 points in the last few minutes of a game.

Syph

« Reply #19384 on: November 30, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »
very entertaining game
unlucky for lakers they couldn't hit that last shot in regulation, and that beside the missed free throw, the warriors shot 100% in OT lol
chef curry

on another note, apparently lavar ball sent trump some shoes in an effort to bury the hatchet haha
 :trumps
XO

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19385 on: December 01, 2017, 03:12:38 AM »
I need to start watching some of their games. Curious as to why they are struggling like they are.

I thought they got so many steals in the off-season, they were going to be legit.
Their expected record is inverse of their actual one: 12-8. (We'd expect a team that wins by their average to hit 50 wins over a full season.)

They're winning by their defense though, in part because despite the odd looking lineups from an offensive perspective they can basically always switch defensively, they're 3rd in the league. 21st on offense.

The Big Three's ORtgs are kinda nuts considering everything we assume about usage and efficiency:
Westbrook: 103 (2016-17: 112, Career: 109)
Carmelo: 106 (2016-17: 108, Career: 108)
George: 106 (2016-17: 109, Career: 106)

Alex Abrines, Patrick Patterson and Josh Huestis have done a lot of damage too, 103, 98 and 78 ORtgs, and even though they only play 10-15 minutes a game, with the Big Three also league average or worse and the fact that Andre Roberson can't really shoot outside of three feet, that really kills them. They look like they have spacing problems like the Nets did when they assembled a team full of guys who all shot from the same areas. Melo's never been a three point bomber and George isn't being able to get to the line as much without the ball. Westbrook's oddly tanked to 72% at the line. George is also down to 81%.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The obvious comparison is Miami's first year, but that team won 58 games (expected: 61-21) and ripped through the East to the Finals with a 3rd ranked offense.
LeBron: 116 (2009-10: 121, Career to that point: 114)
Wade: 114 (2009-10: 113, Career to that point: 111)
Bosh: 115 (2009-10: 117, Career to that point: 113)
[close]

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #19386 on: December 02, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »
Get FUCKED Vivek, Pelicans are 8th and Boogie will probably go to playoffs this year while the Kings sit pretty second to bottom. Sweet fucking justice.
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #19387 on: December 02, 2017, 01:38:28 AM »
Pels have lost 3 in a row. They need to get back on track. They were playing really well when Rondo came back. Jameer and Miller were just enough bench production for them. Defense has fallen off lately though.

shosta

« Reply #19388 on: December 02, 2017, 01:40:13 AM »
We'll see how they do against the Trail Blazers tomorrow.
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #19389 on: December 02, 2017, 01:45:38 AM »
Depends on if Davis plays. A part of them losing is that AD hasn't finished the past two games. Got ejected vs the TWolves and hurt vs Jazz.

Though Cousins has put up huge numbers against the Blazers in the past.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19390 on: December 02, 2017, 02:18:13 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19391 on: December 02, 2017, 02:35:37 AM »
Korver's number is pretty impressive too considering how many years he came off the bench playing only like 20 mpg. Basically everyone else on the list was a starter for ten years plus and played 40+ mpg in many seasons.

Korver, Curry and J.R. Smith are the only guys in the top 15 under 30,000 minutes. Korver, Curry, Billups, Smith, Dirk and Rashard Lewis are the only guys under 5000 attempts. Curry is the only one under 4700 attempts.

Korver and Curry are the only ones over 40% too. Ray Allen is at exactly 40%.

James Harden will probably get into that top ten soon at his pace the last couple years. Klay Thompson might have an outside shot at surpassing everyone if he stays healthy and keeps up his pace and accuracy and plays until he's 40 like the top three did. Assuming Curry and Harden don't do the same obviously.

benjipwns

« Reply #19392 on: December 02, 2017, 02:55:00 AM »
The history of the three pointer has always had a fascination to me. When you consider that guys like West, Barry, and Maravich all regularly shot from out there but didn't have the line. And even after it was introduced nobody used it really, not even great three point shooters (winning the contest and all) we think of like Bird who rarely averaged even an attempt a game, until they moved the line in and then everyone started jacking em and made just enough to keep jacking em like Barkley and at the same time Glen Rice made himself into a superstar from it alone, Dennis Scott set all kinds of records, then the line moved back out and it quieted down for a little while but every good team by 2002 or so seemed to have at least one good scoring bomber to space the floor. 3 and D guys started to proliferate as an archetype, etc.

Yet it still had this stigma attached to it where pundits were siding with Phil when he was taking shots at the Warriors their first year under Kerr. Now every other major big seems to have at least a passable shot from out there. Even guys who didn't have one for their first six years in the league. Serge Ibaka's made this hilarious transformation from like a younger Horace Grant type into putting up numbers that look like they belong to a small forward. 44% of his attempts this year have come from three point land. He took six total in his first three seasons. The weirdest part is how it seems to have taken half his shot blocking away too which makes no sense. That started in OKC too, though the three point jacking really took off in Toronto.

Each of the last five seasons Curry has made more three pointers than anyone even attempted in a season until 1988.

benjipwns

« Reply #19393 on: December 02, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19394 on: December 02, 2017, 08:03:21 AM »
Wizards announced their G-League team:

That's actually baller as fuck.

Long Live Trouble Funk!

:aah

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19395 on: December 02, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
3 point stuff

I often try to explain/argue to my brother why the 3 pointer is important in today's game and the effect it has on spacing and what is considered a good shot and such but he is so old school, he can't really understand it, (or is unwilling to)

The Phil Jackson's and the Barkley types can't seem to understand that the game currently is not the same game they played. That doesn't take away from what they did. The game has just evolved into a different form because of the rule changes.

shosta

« Reply #19396 on: December 02, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
I guess Anthony Davis is out tonight. Bummer. I'm still gonna watch for Cousins but I don't expect them to win tonight.

I really hope the injury isn't too bad and he doesn't miss too many more games.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:59:07 PM by Shostakovich »
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19397 on: December 02, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
nugs retiring fat lever's jersey tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stoney Mason

etiolate

« Reply #19399 on: December 02, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »
Cousins destroying Blazers early on.

shosta

« Reply #19400 on: December 03, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #19401 on: December 07, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
Nets get: Center Jahlil Okafor, guard Nik Stauskas, the Knicks' 2019 second-round pick

76ers get: Forward Trevor Booker

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19402 on: December 07, 2017, 07:45:18 PM »
Lebron is low key having his best year ever.
püp

etiolate

« Reply #19403 on: December 07, 2017, 07:49:34 PM »
One of his most effecient. He gets 30 points on less than 15 shots.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19404 on: December 07, 2017, 11:57:26 PM »

Syph

« Reply #19405 on: December 08, 2017, 12:29:02 AM »
XO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19406 on: December 08, 2017, 11:24:56 PM »
Pacers are legit.

They ended the cavs streak tonight. 2nd time in a row they've beat the cavs.

Oladipo has a higher PER than Westbrook. He has been a revelation this season.

benjipwns

« Reply #19407 on: December 08, 2017, 11:42:28 PM »
ya but those new uniforms tho

most people like em I guess :yeshrug

spoiler (click to show/hide)
They should go all out on a variant and put the players first and last name in a circle around the number on the back.
[close]

shosta

« Reply #19408 on: December 08, 2017, 11:51:53 PM »
Spurs with a 3 pointer to break the tie with 5 seconds on the clock. Phew.
每天生气

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19409 on: December 09, 2017, 12:54:05 AM »

etiolate

« Reply #19410 on: December 09, 2017, 12:57:43 AM »
Pels being lax on defense finally costs them a game they should have won. The Kings offense is the worst in the league, but the Pels were soft from the start.

benjipwns

« Reply #19411 on: December 09, 2017, 01:08:48 AM »
https://streamable.com/dozy2

:leon
totally cheating, look at his shoes, he's using turbo the entire time

shouldn't be allowed to do that just because it's your birthday and it's the Bulls

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19412 on: December 10, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »

shosta

« Reply #19413 on: December 12, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
How do people in here feel about Shaqtin a Fool? I like Shaq and think he's funny but I know people got pretty upset over the JaVale McGee stuff earlier this year.
每天生气

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19414 on: December 12, 2017, 11:39:11 PM »
I don't especially like Shaq and especially on inside the nba. He's the reason I don't watch the show anymore. But that's just me.

:larry

For me he threw off the fun balance because of how thin skinned he is.

etiolate

« Reply #19415 on: December 13, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »

shosta

« Reply #19416 on: December 14, 2017, 04:40:07 AM »
https://streamable.com/pjtv1

Boogie Smash
just noticed the pels beat the bucks. Also went up from 8th seed to 7th. Reminder that last year they finished at 10. This move was really good for cousins and I'm happy to see him thriving on this team.
每天生气

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19417 on: December 18, 2017, 09:38:15 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:31:19 AM by Stoney Mason »

shosta

« Reply #19418 on: December 18, 2017, 09:48:36 PM »
 :whoo
每天生气

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19419 on: December 18, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19420 on: December 18, 2017, 11:52:19 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19421 on: December 20, 2017, 07:31:56 AM »
Cavs apparently might actually use their G-League team by sending Isaiah Thomas down to practice with them and perhaps play in a game or two to test the waters before sticking him back into the NBA.

Pistons did this with Brandon Jennings a few years back and I've always wondered why teams don't do it more with injured guys if they want him to get some lower intensity reps in first. (Especially now that the rules on all of that have been relaxed.) I know one other team did it though I can't seem to find who now, because I remember the player had like 30 points in the first half just jacking threes and left at halftime.

While I'm rambling about the minor league, I wonder if anybody's ever begged to not be called up because the team was in the Finals or something. Back when they were showing games on Versus the Rockets or somebody called up one of their affiliates key players during the D-League playoffs one year and then never even played him. :lol

Maybe it was some weird form of punishment.

benjipwns

« Reply #19422 on: December 20, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »
Other random aside, I like spotting late 90's/early 2000's players as assistant coaches on the bench. Especially because a lot of them from the fan perspective seem kinda random. Roy Rogers on Houston is a top favorite.

If you count Luke Walton, the Lakers could put an entire lineup out there. The Pistons are one short. Maybe they could rent Corliss Williamson from the Magic.

bluemax

« Reply #19423 on: December 21, 2017, 01:12:42 AM »
Danilo Galinari out until sometime in January because of course.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19424 on: December 21, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #19425 on: December 21, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »
I feel it should be noted that Michael Beasley is putting up 29 points off the bench against the Celtics.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #19426 on: December 21, 2017, 10:58:27 PM »
kyrie's elite defense
:neogaf

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19427 on: December 22, 2017, 10:39:29 PM »
Austin Rivers just had a career game.

Harden has scored 50 back to back and lost both of them.

bluemax

« Reply #19428 on: December 22, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »
Harden 51 points scored -11 +/-, how do you lose back to back games to the Lakers and Clippers this season.

How do you let Austin Rivers and Lou Williams combine for 70 points.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19429 on: December 22, 2017, 11:29:00 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19430 on: December 23, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »
HOUSTON -- James Harden didn't care to discuss becoming the first player in more than a decade to score at least 50 points in back-to-back games, but he made his opinion about the officiating known after the Rockets' second consecutive loss.

Harden fouled out with 26.6 seconds remaining after scoring 51 points in Friday night's 128-118 loss to the LA Clippers. He then was ejected after a testy exchange with referee Pat Fraher.

Asked the source of his frustration, Harden said, "Bulls--- calls."

Harden was called for four of his six fouls in the final 5:13 as the Rockets attempted to rally. He was twice whistled for offensive fouls late, one of which prompted coach Mike D'Antoni to draw a technical foul for arguing with 2:20 remaining.

"I'm tired of hearing, 'I made a mistake,' or 'I didn't see it,'" said Harden, who also scored 51 points Wednesday against the Los Angeles Lakers, who snapped Houston's 14-game winning streak. "That's frustrating when you hear it as a player. I know we all make mistakes, but it's just frustrating."

agrajag

« Reply #19431 on: December 23, 2017, 12:51:39 AM »
I feel it should be noted that Michael Beasley is putting up 29 points off the bench against the Celtics.

bluemax

« Reply #19432 on: December 23, 2017, 01:00:13 PM »
HOUSTON -- James Harden didn't care to discuss becoming the first player in more than a decade to score at least 50 points in back-to-back games, but he made his opinion about the officiating known after the Rockets' second consecutive loss.

Harden fouled out with 26.6 seconds remaining after scoring 51 points in Friday night's 128-118 loss to the LA Clippers. He then was ejected after a testy exchange with referee Pat Fraher.

Asked the source of his frustration, Harden said, "Bulls--- calls."

Harden was called for four of his six fouls in the final 5:13 as the Rockets attempted to rally. He was twice whistled for offensive fouls late, one of which prompted coach Mike D'Antoni to draw a technical foul for arguing with 2:20 remaining.

"I'm tired of hearing, 'I made a mistake,' or 'I didn't see it,'" said Harden, who also scored 51 points Wednesday against the Los Angeles Lakers, who snapped Houston's 14-game winning streak. "That's frustrating when you hear it as a player. I know we all make mistakes, but it's just frustrating."

You mean the guy whose game is practically predicated on drawing ticky tack fouls is upset about officiating? I guess Chris Paul is really having an impact on the Rockets.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #19433 on: December 24, 2017, 02:21:25 AM »
Morey and D'Antoni expected some early awkwardness. They thought Paul would need time to absorb the freedom and pace of D'Antoni's offense. Even role players do. In one of Raja Bell's first games under D'Antoni in Phoenix, he bricked a catch-and-shoot 3 early in the shot clock and sheepishly asked his coach: "Was that a bad shot?" the two recall. D'Antoni answered with a question: "Did you think you were gonna make it, Raja?" Bell did. "Make it next time, and it'll be a good shot," D'Antoni concluded.
coaching :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #19434 on: December 25, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19435 on: December 25, 2017, 08:02:34 PM »

:whoo

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber