Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519564 times)

etiolate

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #19740 on: March 29, 2018, 12:41:04 AM »
What makes that game amusing is the twitch banter for PUBG he had with Ben Simmons. It was something like KAT saying he needed to go and coudln't play another game, and Ben telling him he doesn't need to go to bed because he's only playing the Hawks tomorrow.

etiolate

« Reply #19741 on: March 29, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »
After having to shutdown two games, the Kings org is preparing extra security to make sure fans can make it to the game today. Curious to see how it goes. Vivek swallowed the cost of the first protest actions and I think he was foolish enough to think it would create an understanding. Then they shut down the entrance on Tuesday's game and the Kings realized they had to do something different.

There's something very Sacramento about how this has played out. Everyone wants to look good in front of national attention, but that leaves them open to bad actors and exploitation. Al Sharpton has already consumed the grieving family. The protest groups wander around with little sense. It's felt like the idiot parade was on the ground before the victim's blood had dried.

Sac has this little brother syndrome that makes the city desperate for attention and adoration. Vivek is partly playing this as branding and hoping to get an all-star game. If the Thurs game goes wrong though, he ends up creating a bigger problem for the NBA.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #19742 on: March 29, 2018, 08:56:35 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #19743 on: March 29, 2018, 09:58:02 PM »
So many injuries. Otto Porter just went down. Not sure if its bad.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19744 on: March 29, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »
Westbrook is Iverson.

And that's not a compliment.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19745 on: March 30, 2018, 01:03:56 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19746 on: March 30, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »

etiolate

« Reply #19747 on: March 30, 2018, 01:10:04 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19748 on: March 30, 2018, 01:35:56 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19749 on: March 30, 2018, 01:42:38 AM »

:mindblown

Fifstar

« Reply #19750 on: March 30, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »

I looked up how some players TS%in clutch situations compares to their average TS%

Chris Paul +20% TS% (absolutly insane nummer)
Kd+10
Curry+6
Lebron +2
Westbrrok +/-0
Harden -5%

Gulp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19751 on: April 01, 2018, 04:42:31 AM »
Paul's makes more sense when you consider it's only six instances or so. And he's probably taking a good share of shots as FT's.

bluemax

« Reply #19752 on: April 04, 2018, 02:25:42 AM »
Tobias Harris w Clippers 19.5 ppg 47.8% FG 43% 3P 81.1% FT 6 REB 3.1 AST 1.1 STL 0.7 BLK
Blake Griffin w Pistons 19.8 ppg 43.3% FG 34.8% 3P 78.4% FT 6.6 REB 6.2 AST 0.4 STL 0.4 BLK
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19753 on: April 04, 2018, 06:13:40 PM »
Yeah, I think everybody realized a few seasons ago that Blake was a good player but not like one of the super top tier of stars that can elevate a team just by his presence.

Stan was just desperate and making any gamble to keep his job.

etiolate

« Reply #19754 on: April 04, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
I wonder if Stan regrets going to the Pistons over the Kings, considering he was trying to find a spot with a young center. I was always surprised at how many lesser centers got compared to Cousins despite Boogie's obvious advantages over them.

etiolate

« Reply #19755 on: April 05, 2018, 01:53:04 AM »
Odd HOT TAKE TORRID DEBATE DISCUSSION! x ! z ! ! !!

So George changes teams. Hayward changes teams. Melo does. Butler does so as well. And Kawhi hardly plays this year.

As Butler plays 2 for the Wolves, he is the exception. The exception to what? Many of the best small forwards in the league either changed teams or did not play (or both), and the impact has been minor. The Pacers are just as good if not better this year by replacing George with an all-star guard. The Jazz basically did the same thing, replacing Hayward with a RoY guard. The Knicks are worst, but that has more to do with the Porzingis injury. The Bulls are worse but they're tanking and Butler doesn't even play the 3 in Minny. And Kawhi's absence felt like a problem until Aldridge came back and the Spurs returned to the playoff hunt.

So is the SF now way less meaningful in the current game after the Lebron/Durant/Melo glory years?

You can even kick this down several talent levels with a team like the Pels. New Orleans had one NBA starter quality SF and he's been hurt almost the whole season, but it hasn't mattered.

bluemax

« Reply #19756 on: April 05, 2018, 02:24:49 AM »
It felt like SF has changed into everyone wanting a 3 and D guy there. Guys with the size and quickness to guard the other teams best non center, whose offensive contribution is shooting.

Could also be the fact that 4s are now expected to have more range than in the past as well.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19757 on: April 05, 2018, 02:26:45 AM »
It's been a frequent opinion this season, that the league is now guard dominant. Players like steph, harden, & lillard being the arguing point.

That being said, I would still take lebron and durant before anybody.

Nola

« Reply #19758 on: April 05, 2018, 02:49:12 AM »
I'd still take a hypothetical superstar SF over pretty much any other position on the court. They are just so versatile in the way the game has evolved. But I do think the proliferation of solid above average small forwards has lessened the scramble for most teams. Like has happened with point guards.

But just as a Pelicans fan, who's last good SF was Trevor Ariza and Aminu before he became decent, I think SF is still incredibly important. Since so many of the leagues best and most difficult to guard players are at that position, or at least require a person at that position to guard them. Our team has shuffled the decks on bigs and guards, but the lack of a quality above average SF has been a hindrance to this team for most of AD's career here, and this year is no different. I say this with all seriousness, but if the Pels had Bojan Bogdanovich like Oladipo has in Indiana, they are probably a lock for the 4 seed right now. They may not make the impact relative to superstar guards they once did, but lacking one certainly does impact your team as much as probably any position IMO.

Being a Pels fan and experiencing how criminally unaddressed our GM has been toward that position I think gives a real appreciation for how important it remains. Even if it is diminished a bit toward the guards like Harden and Curry.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:53:17 AM by Nola »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19759 on: April 05, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22884777/kyrie-irving-boston-celtics-undergo-procedure-ailing-knee

Hmmm.... That seems like an issue.

"minimally invasive"

:gurl

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
Follow Follow @wojespn
More
In the aftermath of left knee surgery, Boston Celtics All-Star guard Kyrie Irving will miss the rest of the regular season and playoffs, league sources told ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23040436/kyrie-irving-boston-celtics-season-playoffs

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: The NBA thread (Kyrie Irving done for season)
« Reply #19760 on: April 05, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »
That was the thing everyone overlooked in their excitement for Kyrie Irving. That he had spent much of his early career injured for good portions of many seasons.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1997485-injury-prone-kyrie-irving-a-major-problem-for-cleveland-cavaliers

He didn't even make it through his one college year without injury (missing 11 games).

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19761 on: April 05, 2018, 02:30:10 PM »
I've wanted to make this post for awhile but the recent run by the 76ers has made it obvious. If you are Lebron (or Paul George) and are serious about winning a title, I don't see how you don't jump to this team.

I mean I could see the argument for Lebron in the sense that you can stay in Cleveland and make the most money and be a beloved god for the rest of your career. The reality is that the cavs can't win a title as currently constructed. They can reach the finals in the east but they won't be able to beat the Warriors certainly and most likely the rockets. The 76ers have the potential to beat the warriors. 

The only real advantage the cavs have on the court is that Brooklyn pick and if that can swing into another superstar ala Paul George or something.

But the 76ers have so much potential and they have all those young guys on young player contracts.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19762 on: April 05, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »
Honestly other than his mouth Lavar Ball has little power and I think increasingly even that has less of an effect. And Lonzo's early career is pretty much dictated by rookie contract scales.

They aren't going to draft the other two brothers so the Lakers are fine. The just have to decide how they want to handle their cap space for the upcoming summer wisely.

etiolate

« Reply #19763 on: April 05, 2018, 07:48:50 PM »
Not unless ABC puts them up on their channel site. There's just NBA TV streaming or the people streaming their NBA tv.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19764 on: April 05, 2018, 09:31:58 PM »
Is there any way to watch the NBA streaming that isn't pirated live streams? Curious cause I feel like following the playoffs live for once.

I mean the pirate streams are pretty decent. sometimes I switch from my actual stream to them

https://www.reddit.com/r/nbastreams/

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19765 on: April 05, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »
Lebron just bitch-slapped the wizards. They were down by like 17 in the 4th quarter

Nola

« Reply #19766 on: April 05, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »
I've wanted to make this post for awhile but the recent run by the 76ers has made it obvious. If you are Lebron (or Paul George) and are serious about winning a title, I don't see how you don't jump to this team.

I mean I could see the argument for Lebron in the sense that you can stay in Cleveland and make the most money and be a beloved god for the rest of your career. The reality is that the cavs can't win a title as currently constructed. They can reach the finals in the east but they won't be able to beat the Warriors certainly and most likely the rockets. The 76ers have the potential to beat the warriors. 

The only real advantage the cavs have on the court is that Brooklyn pick and if that can swing into another superstar ala Paul George or something.

But the 76ers have so much potential and they have all those young guys on young player contracts.

Lebron and Simmons trying to share the court though  :larry

But if they could find a way to make it work without Simmons just moving around waiting for lobs or cuts, that defensive potential  :checkit

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19767 on: April 05, 2018, 11:19:39 PM »
Yeah the floor spacing would be a problem but that problem is one I would rather have than the existing cavs problems if I was Lebron.

Nola

« Reply #19768 on: April 05, 2018, 11:28:22 PM »
Yeah the floor spacing would be a problem but that problem is one I would rather have than the existing cavs problems if I was Lebron.
Yeah but thinking on it more, if you resign Reddick, if Embiid can be a little closer to rookie Embiid from three, and you get a ~40 3p% guard(doesn't have to be a traditional PG with Simmons/Bron around) that can defend....Throw in their young depth. Yeah, that is a crazy tough roster to beat in a 7 game series.

All of the sudden the spacing might not be an issue, just figuring out how to use Simmons and Brons ball handling skills together. But Bron has done it before with Wade so yeah.

I think I'm officially sold.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #19769 on: April 06, 2018, 09:04:45 AM »
I could honestly see bron over to the sixers. it's gonna be a fun offseason.

wild west playoff hunt, 6 teams within 2 games that haven't clinched yet while the east is sorted already. would love a bit of serendipity where pels can get out of those last two (three!) seeds and make the second round but honestly should be worried about them getting in at this point  :goty2

spoiler (click to show/hide)
mods pls this forum needs a good :pray emote.
[close]

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19770 on: April 06, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »
Lebron just bitch-slapped the wizards. They were down by like 17 in the 4th quarter

Wow, I turned that game off at the end of 3, I thought there was no way they would come back.

John Wall was killing them.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19771 on: April 06, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »

Wow, I turned that game off at the end of 3, I thought there was no way they would come back.

John Wall was killing them.

Teams were 2-461 this season when trailing by 16 with six minutes left, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/982100029803556865
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:36:10 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19772 on: April 06, 2018, 02:00:52 PM »
Yeah but thinking on it more, if you resign Reddick, if Embiid can be a little closer to rookie Embiid from three, and you get a ~40 3p% guard(doesn't have to be a traditional PG with Simmons/Bron around) that can defend....Throw in their young depth. Yeah, that is a crazy tough roster to beat in a 7 game series.

All of the sudden the spacing might not be an issue, just figuring out how to use Simmons and Brons ball handling skills together. But Bron has done it before with Wade so yeah.

I think I'm officially sold.

I also think Bron would be nasty in Portland

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19773 on: April 06, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
76ers vs Cavs tonight

:jawalrus

etiolate

« Reply #19774 on: April 06, 2018, 05:46:00 PM »
I don't think Portland has the cap room for LeBron.

An interesting scenario is the Kawhi thing getting to the point where they offer him in some sort of trade for Lebron.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19775 on: April 06, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »
76ers vs Cavs tonight

oooooh nice. 
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19776 on: April 06, 2018, 08:09:25 PM »
76ers vs Cavs tonight

Well this was an ass-kicking

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19777 on: April 06, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »
wow game got gud

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19778 on: April 06, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
good philly win. they snag third seed from cavs

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #19779 on: April 10, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »
Woo go Pels. I'd rather not get Houston in first round but what are you gonna do.

etiolate

« Reply #19780 on: April 10, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
If Pels beat Spurs then I think they can get the 4th seed.

Speaking of the Spurs, they look bad. I don't know how they're going to defend any of the playoff point guards. I don't know how they score if Aldridge struggles.

Nola

« Reply #19781 on: April 10, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19782 on: April 10, 2018, 08:26:33 PM »
Random thoughts:

Pacers were 42-40 last season. Everybody, myself included thought that Paul George trade was one of the worst things ever. They are currently 48-33. They are also the #5 seed which means they currently will play the cavaliers who they won 3 of 4 against this season. They gave the Cavs a lot of problems.

Despite the turmoil and hoopla, Cleveland will probably end the season with the same 51-31 record they had last season. Lebron really carried this team in a crazy way at his age and you have to appreciate that, because they are absolutely a worse team this season than they were last season.

Timberwolves and Nuggets basically have a play-in game on the final day for that last playoff spot. Pretty cool. (Also I think the idea of a playoff system for the last few spots that the nba has been floating and Bill Simmons seems to love is idiotic. Stop trying to inject your college basketball bs in the pro game)

The Utah Jazz are 29-6 over their last 35 games.

Nola

« Reply #19783 on: April 10, 2018, 08:54:20 PM »
Honestly, if I'm the Warriors, I throw the game tonight lol.

I would not want that scenario where they draw the Jazz in the first round without Curry. And while the Thunder are also a possibility, I think they basically have to lose to the Grizzlies for that to happen.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19785 on: April 10, 2018, 10:10:17 PM »
Who is everyone, because people in Indiana were ready to get rid of PG

It isn't really what people in Indiana thought its more that most people at the time thought they got back nothing at the time for a player who had more value in Paul George and who was highly regarded around the league. It was a value question. Cleveland almost certainly at the time was theoretically offering "more".

Nobody was really high on Victor Oladipo, nor did anybody really think he would turn in the season he has. But good on Indy. They were either incredibly lucky or saw something that nobody else did in the league at that time otherwise everybody would have been trying to acquire him. Oladipo I mean.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:19:46 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19786 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:53 PM »
I know the Warriors give no fucks about the regular season at the moment but jesus Christ, at least pretend a little.

Jazz 62-33 over Warriors at half time.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Warriors still gonna coast to another title.
[close]

El Babua

Re: The NBA thread (Win or Go home. Timberwolves versus Nuggets)
« Reply #19787 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:39 PM »
The Nets were 4-0 against the Heat with Lebron in 2014

Not that there isn't a chance, just don't see Lebron not continue deep dicking the east.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #19788 on: April 10, 2018, 11:19:53 PM »
Yeah lebrons innocent until proven guilty

e: in addition, it looks like Portland-Utah play for the 3rd seed and New Orleans-San Antonio play for the 4th/5th seed tomorrow
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 11:26:28 PM by jakefromstatefarm »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19791 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:40 PM »
Not as fascinating this season but westbrook averages a triple double again

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #19792 on: April 11, 2018, 10:17:39 PM »
Pels win, murder out in philly, Russ got it, fun night.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19793 on: April 11, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »
Wolves grab last slot

agrajag

« Reply #19794 on: April 11, 2018, 10:53:41 PM »
Heat made playoffs  :rejoice

El Babua

Re: The NBA thread (Playoffs begin aka Rise of the Warriors)
« Reply #19795 on: April 11, 2018, 11:05:55 PM »
Heat vs Sixers should be fun at least

Embiid and Whiteside gonna be sniping each other on social media all series.

benjipwns

« Reply #19796 on: April 12, 2018, 02:55:14 AM »
all the hoopla over LeBron playing 82 games for the first time in forever (prior high was 81 in 2008-09) i noticed another veteran "come back" year

Dwight Howard played 81 games, missing one for suspension, the most since he played 82 in 2009-10, he also averaged over 15/12 per game for the first time since 2013-14 (and 20/15 per 36 for the first time in his career, with most recent closest being 19/14 in 2011-12)

benjipwns

« Reply #19797 on: April 12, 2018, 02:56:12 AM »
Knicks will fire Jeff Hornacek apparently

their top targets are apparently Mark Jackson and David Blatt

etiolate

« Reply #19798 on: April 12, 2018, 02:58:27 AM »
Hornacek is a good coach that I think may be bad at managing locker rooms. 

Neither Jackson or Blatt improve on those matters.

Beezy

« Reply #19799 on: April 12, 2018, 06:04:00 AM »
Knicks will fire Jeff Hornacek apparently

their top targets are apparently Mark Jackson and David Blatt
Eh... we'll see what happens I guess...