Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519562 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Playoffs begin aka Rise of the Warriors)
« Reply #19800 on: April 12, 2018, 07:06:59 AM »
The gods are smiling on the warriors by granting them that first round matchup. Going up against anybody else on the western side without curry would have been interesting. Against OKC or the Jazz, you could even envision a crazy upset.

Instead they go up against the weakest team in the west in the playoffs imo. I highly doubt Leonard is coming back and even if he did, he'd be rusty. So they get a nice first round bye and then curry will be back.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19801 on: April 12, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23131355/orlando-magic-fire-coach-frank-vogel-two-seasons

Not surprising. Always thought he should have took time off after Indy instead of  jumping into that job. The Magic would be the team I would follow.... If they weren't  unwatchable.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19802 on: April 12, 2018, 10:35:31 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19803 on: April 12, 2018, 11:10:49 PM »
Vogel forgot to look at the Magic's front office situation, he was replacing the front office's desired coach in Scott Skiles while the front office viewed both Skiles and Vogel as essentially being the guy to come in and make all the pieces they had assembled work, thus why they went after vets like Ibaka and Jeff Green, defense guys like Biyombo, etc. which is the kind of guys a Skiles would want, and Vogel somewhat, for when he needed guys he could trust as the young guys finally started to put it together

only for that front office to be shitcanned because they were taking too long and rather than hire a clear authority, the team did the classic hire an old hand GM and a young up and comer as his boss, while still having a roster of misfit parts that the team didn't make better by flipping Ibaka for Ross and then loading up on more role players like Afflalo, Mack, Speights, etc. while the team was continuing to do a churn through of their younger pieces

aaron gordon still somehow has become a tweener in a league in which positions are even more hypothetical than ever before, they're paying $27 million a year to players who are seriously liabilities at too many things on the court (Ross and Biyombo) and sometimes don't even play in games where there's no matchups

and the capper was probably dealing a 23 year old point guard, who yes, has his problems, but was playing the best of his career, and they dumped him for a second round pick BEFORE seeing what his market value looked like, with their backup plan being $20+ million for point/combo guards all over the age of 28 who won't be around by the time Gordon and Hezonja finally, if ever, are as good as Fournier, let alone whatever Isaac may become

they have no plan, and the one player they might have been able to flip in a year or so to move one of the toxic assets they dumped for a second rounder because he hadn't yet wowed them at age 23

didn't help that the team was injured so much and it probably really killed their offense when they didn't have three or more creators or at least the twosome of Fournier/Vucevic

vogel might be better off getting one of those new associate head coach gigs on a good team or moving up team, like the pelicans and timberwolves who need some defensive fixing

benjipwns

« Reply #19804 on: April 12, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »
Orlando had no pair of players play more than 1310 minutes together all season, the Hornets had eleven such pairs, Sixers and Pelicans had seven, even the Cavs had three despite turning over half the roster (Orlando had only three pairs log 1000 minutes together, the Cavs somehow had seven...edit: the Rockets had 16 lol)

Fournier/Vucevic played only 960 minutes together, with a point differential of a 42-40 team
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:20:55 PM by benjipwns »

etiolate

« Reply #19805 on: April 13, 2018, 12:01:23 AM »
I think Hezonja is gone. They didn't re-up his rookie contract. I know the Kings have been eyeing Hezonja for awhile and they have a ton of cap space.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19806 on: April 13, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
Just like in real life jobs, I just think there are some jobs nba coaches shouldn't take even if the opportunity presents itself. I know Vogel was embarrassed/angry with the way he was treated in Indy but Orlando is just a trainwreck in leadership.

Another example would be Bryon's Scott last tenure in LA. Not that I think Scott is a good coach or helped himself with any of the silly things he said while there but that was clearly a dead man walking job the moment it was presented to him. I understand that you have to make your opportunities sometimes, but sometimes its simply just a trap and scapegoat job that is being presented.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #19808 on: April 13, 2018, 01:47:15 PM »
this might be a blessing

it does explain the ty lawson signing though

Nola

« Reply #19809 on: April 14, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »

:heh
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:18:19 PM by Nola »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19810 on: April 14, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
Predictions

Spurs versus Warriors.

Joke Series. Warriors in 4 or 5 depending on how much interest they bring.

Washington versus Toronto

Raptors in 6. I don't understand why Washington plays so poorly with the talent they have. On paper I think they have a chance to beat the Raptors but they don't play up to their talent level and everybody on the team seems to hate each other.

Miami versus Philly

A lot of people think Miami will give Philly all kind of problems and have a legit chance of snatching an upset. I'm not one of those people.

Philly in 5.

New Orleans versus Portland.

I have no idea who will win this series. My brain says Portland but Anthony Davis has been dominant the latter part of the season.

Portland in 7.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19811 on: April 14, 2018, 04:54:36 PM »
Imagine the hoopla and endless reams of pontificating that would have happened to Lebron earlier in his career if something like this Kawhi Leonard thing had happened.

Which is not to say that I'm blaming Kawhi. If dude says he's hurt, I'll believe him until evidence suggests otherwise. Not talking to the media is only going to encourage them to increase their hot take propensity though.

El Babua

« Reply #19812 on: April 14, 2018, 11:01:13 PM »
Heat got washed in the second half.

Neither Whiteside or Dragic came to play today.

agrajag

« Reply #19813 on: April 14, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »
Heat got washed in the second half.

Neither Whiteside or Dragic came to play today.

Whiteside  ::)

benjipwns

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #19815 on: April 15, 2018, 01:12:28 AM »
 :whew

Nola

Nola

« Reply #19817 on: April 15, 2018, 02:29:30 AM »
Not gonna lie, this kind of stings a bit and makes me wonder in ways I hadn't about Cousins since he's gotten on the court here:

New Orleans Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry said Saturday afternoon (April 14) that injured forward DeMarcus Cousins would not attend his team's playoff-opening game that night in Portland, Oregon, because he still has not been cleared to fly as he rehabs from an Achilles tear.

But Cousins' manager, Andrew Rogers, posted a photo of him with Cousins aboard what appeared to be a private plane, possibly headed to Coachella, according to the wording in the post.

Gentry said before the game Saturday "we would love for him to be here because he's been an integral part of this. I feel really bad for him because he's been great for us."

Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday said Friday he hoped Cousins could attend to see "what's in store for him" before Cousins reaches unrestricted free agency this summer. Multiple other players said they hoped Cousins would be on hand for the game.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2018/04/cousins_instagram_plane_photo.html

:shaq2

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #19818 on: April 15, 2018, 02:45:22 AM »
Damn Boogie, even I picked watching the Pels over chella today.  :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19819 on: April 15, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
More Predictions

Bucks versus Celtics

Bucks should be slightly better than they are and of course they have Giannis but the Celtics have a great coach and great defense. Celtics in 6

Pacers versus Cavs.

I have to pick Playoff Lebron but I don't feel great about it. This is the worst Lebron team since those early Cavs teams. The defense is historically bad and I could easily see them getting picked off at any point. Still will says Cavs in 5 or 6.

Jazz versus Okc.

Probably my favorite matchup of the first round. OKC is a undisciplined mess full of superstar talent. Utah is a well disciplined defensive machine and the offense is well coached. I legit have no idea who will win it. Let's says OKC squeaks by in 6 or 7 but I'm actually rooting for the Jazz.

T Wolves versus Rockets

Who are we kidding. Rockets in 4 or 5.

etiolate

« Reply #19820 on: April 15, 2018, 02:11:24 PM »
Rooting for Jazz as well.

Jazz on/off stats pair positively with Ingles, but I wonder if OKC sticks George on Mitchell and try to take him out of the game completely.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19821 on: April 15, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »
Cavs defense

:gurl

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #19822 on: April 15, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
believeland looks like poooop

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19823 on: April 15, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »
That was an emperor has no clothes style beatdown.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #19824 on: April 15, 2018, 06:23:36 PM »
I don’t think they’ll get 3 more games off of Cleveland, but the pacers will definitely force lebron to work for this series, which is cool

etiolate

« Reply #19825 on: April 15, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
Perhaps the fastest pace team in the league is not a good match-up for Lebron.

Nola

« Reply #19826 on: April 15, 2018, 06:24:25 PM »
Oladipo needs to get ready to foul out for game 2, Stephenson about to get double T'd, and Lebron is gonna roll with 25FT's.

No way the fuckery isn't at peak form next game lol.

etiolate

« Reply #19827 on: April 15, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »
Mitchell dgaf

Nola

« Reply #19828 on: April 15, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
The refs tried to help The Land and even they couldn't save them

"...Someone said the refs tried to help The Land and came up short? Ha! Hold my beer!"

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Honestly James needs to nut up and guard Oladipo. Dare the rest of the team to beat them.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:55:07 PM by Nola »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19829 on: April 15, 2018, 08:38:00 PM »
Paul George insanely hot tonight

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19830 on: April 15, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »

eh?

El Babua

« Reply #19831 on: April 15, 2018, 10:25:05 PM »
I think I heard on Zach Lowe's podcast that the Pacers have been playing the fastest in the league since the start of the year.

As far as results go, it's game 1, but match-up problems are evident. And Bron ball ain't gonna work if shooters are bricking.

Nola

« Reply #19832 on: April 15, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »
I think I heard on Zach Lowe's podcast that the Pacers have been playing the fastest in the league since the start of the year.

As far as results go, it's game 1, but match-up problems are evident. And Bron ball ain't gonna work if shooters are bricking.

Do you think you might of heard "slowest pace" maybe?

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=PACE&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateFrom=01%2F01%2F2018

El Babua

« Reply #19833 on: April 15, 2018, 10:49:01 PM »

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=PACE&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateFrom=01%2F01%2F2018

Probably. I think the larger conversation in the podcast was about how the Pacers have been so good this year and how they don't mind taking so many midrange jumpers compared to modern NBA sensibilities. Also, how Houston have been playing at a glacial pace compared to the seven second offense D'Antoni ran with the Suns.

Nola

« Reply #19834 on: April 15, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »

Probably. I think the larger conversation in the podcast was about how the Pacers have been so good this year and how they don't mind taking so many midrange jumpers compared to modern NBA sensibilities. Also, how Houston have been playing at a glacial pace compared to the seven second offense D'Antoni ran with the Suns.

Yeah I was shocked how slow Houston was when I just looked up the pace stats since January.

I knew they were not putting a huge emphasis on pace like past D'Antoni teams, just the types of shots, but still, 23rd was surprising. Slower than the Timberwolves they are playing. Which I was not expecting.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19835 on: April 15, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »
Anything is possible but any team with Durant, Curry, Klay, Draymond is still the favorite to make and win the finals.

Nola

« Reply #19836 on: April 15, 2018, 11:05:57 PM »
Yeah I mean I think one of the two is probably going, most likely the Warriors, but man I certainly can't wait til this Cavs/Warriors nonsense is over.

I just can't get excited for watching that same thing again, with an even less talented Cavs team no less.

Unfortunately, I can totally see Lebron going to somewhere like Houston and just making the Western conference finals the real championship every year where the Warriors/Rockets fight it out for another 3-4 years. Which is no better.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19837 on: April 15, 2018, 11:25:36 PM »
Butler Hero ball shots

:beli

eleuin

• perennial loser

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19839 on: April 16, 2018, 11:47:26 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19841 on: April 17, 2018, 05:54:08 AM »

eh?
Every time I tell you horsefuckers basic information and you get mad, perhaps you should ask how you keep missing the obvious thing every time.

It's time you get a better retort than "I knew that."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19842 on: April 17, 2018, 09:17:24 PM »
I'm so jealous of Celtics having Brad Stevens  :'(

etiolate

« Reply #19843 on: April 18, 2018, 12:22:14 AM »
Dame praying for Clark instead of Jrue in this game.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19844 on: April 18, 2018, 12:51:19 AM »
rondo dagger 3

:jawalrus

etiolate

« Reply #19845 on: April 18, 2018, 01:06:58 AM »
Playof Rondo makes me think he just gets bored with regular season games. in Playoffs he can strategize one team at a time and max out his skill set.

etiolate

« Reply #19847 on: April 18, 2018, 02:36:43 AM »
They'd be a bigger threat with Boogie, but that is assuming they still trade for Mirotic. The pure stretch 4, plus the pound and stretch of Boogie, and combined with AD would be a nightmare for other teams.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19848 on: April 18, 2018, 10:32:08 AM »
Pels :aah
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19849 on: April 18, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19850 on: April 18, 2018, 07:19:03 PM »
Lebron aggresive tonight

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19851 on: April 18, 2018, 07:40:56 PM »
Pacers still will have a chance to get back in. Cavs defense makes no lead sustainable.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19852 on: April 18, 2018, 08:12:01 PM »
Lebron might get 50 tonight

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19853 on: April 18, 2018, 09:36:33 PM »
Great game from Lebron obviously but the cavs issues are abundantly clear. Poor defense and no secondary dribble drive guy to break down the opposition.

I wonder if Love broke some fingers on that deflection which would sit him for future games.

Gonna be a tough series.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19854 on: April 18, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #19855 on: April 18, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »
 :-\

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #19857 on: April 19, 2018, 08:30:04 AM »
TNT analyst Kenny Smith will interview for the New York Knicks' head-coaching job on Friday, a source told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19858 on: April 19, 2018, 02:57:35 PM »
TNT analyst Kenny Smith will interview for the New York Knicks' head-coaching job on Friday, a source told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

Yeah I was going to post this last night but forgot. Some of these knicks candidates are...

Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Woodson....

Knicks gonna knick

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19859 on: April 19, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
Kenny would be such a terrible pick  :lol
püp