Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519561 times)

eleuin

• perennial loser
Re: The NBA thread (Kawhi and Paul George to Clippers)
« Reply #21660 on: July 06, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »
clippers are kowai now

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #21663 on: July 06, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »
Was expecting boogie. There is also talk about getting Marcus Morris. They are also bringing back Rondo.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:12:27 PM by Stoney Mason »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #21664 on: July 06, 2019, 03:31:19 PM »
NBA is wild. Lakers looking like the super pels now. Too bad Mirotic heading back to yurop.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21665 on: July 06, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
NBA is wild. Lakers looking like the super pels now. Too bad Mirotic heading back to yurop.

lol. true.

It's human nature but I'm talking myself into the roster even if its spare parts and duct tape. I like Danny Green. I thought Boogie was okay with the Warriors last season. I mean he's an injury away from blowing out the season again but I assume he's going to split time with Javale anyway.

I still favor the clippers or potentially the Rockets right at this moment, but I can't wait for the season to start.

Lakers are fucking tall. Not sure I really like that in a league that is dominated by wings and quick guards but it is what it is.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21667 on: July 06, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147594055716614145

I'm happy the Lakers got him but I feel sad for Boogie. Fucking injuries. It's a no-brainer at that price.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21668 on: July 06, 2019, 04:51:12 PM »
If OKC loses Westbrook, they have to be the worst run franchise in the league, right?

Losing or getting rid of: KD, James Harden, Paul George, Victor Oladipo, Domantas Sabonis, and Westbrook over 6 years without a single ring to show for it would be :lol :lol :lol :lol as hell

Trade Westbrook for more picks. In a few years they could have a team composed entirely of young first-rounders.
dog

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #21669 on: July 06, 2019, 05:08:35 PM »
If OKC loses Westbrook, they have to be the worst run franchise in the league, right?

Losing or getting rid of: KD, James Harden, Paul George, Victor Oladipo, Domantas Sabonis, and Westbrook over 6 years without a single ring to show for it would be :lol :lol :lol :lol as hell

not even close

El Babua

« Reply #21670 on: July 06, 2019, 05:16:16 PM »
So there's a possibility that the Heat may go after Westbrook.

If we do get him, it'll either be a team of mad-ass dudes with a chip on their shoulder tearing through the league, or an absolute implosion. Perhaps both, in that order.

Stoney Mason

agrajag

« Reply #21672 on: July 06, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »

If we do get him, it'll either be a team of mad-ass dudes with a chip on their shoulder tearing through the league, or an absolute implosion. Perhaps both, in that order.

The Sun Sentinel’s Ira Winderman suggested that the Heat could offer Justise Winslow, Bam Adebayo, Tyler Herro, Goran Dragic, and a couple of first-round picks in exchange for the mega superstar.

so they're gonna trade the entire team for Westbrook? Who's he gonna play with?  :what

Stoney Mason

El Babua

« Reply #21674 on: July 06, 2019, 06:16:05 PM »

The Sun Sentinel’s Ira Winderman suggested that the Heat could offer Justise Winslow, Bam Adebayo, Tyler Herro, Goran Dragic, and a couple of first-round picks in exchange for the mega superstar.

so they're gonna trade the entire team for Westbrook? Who's he gonna play with?  :what

Yeah, I'd rather hold on till 2021 when we have cap space.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21675 on: July 06, 2019, 06:54:18 PM »
I just wanna plan the parade again, brehs  :-\

Stoney Mason

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #21677 on: July 08, 2019, 12:09:27 AM »
Westbrook and Steven Adams for Dragic (expiring), James Johnson and Olynyk (expiring next year) and Justise Winslow just barely works under the cap.

I've read a few times that if OKC looks to blow it up Adams is gone, I think he might help them move Westbrook, like in the above deal, Miami would probably rather take him on along with Westbrook if they have to because otherwise you have to deal out too many players just to cover Westbrook's salary. You actually can get Adams for "cheaper" once you're already paying enough to get Westbrook in terms of the cap rules. Plus he fills a starter spot.

The hard part? The Heat are HARD CAPPED because of the Butler deal. It still seems like the best place to make that kind of deal though.

The Knicks fucked up, they could have put together a decent Westbrook-only bail out offer centered around Smith Jr. and Knox with smart cap space usage, but now they're too far over the cap, they can't trade anyone else until December 15th and can't get to enough salary even if they included RJ Barret.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
trade him to Orlando for Aaron Gordon, Mo Bamba and Markelle Fultz :doge
[close]

benjipwns

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #21680 on: July 08, 2019, 04:54:10 PM »
In comparison to the AD and Paul George trades, it's funny reflecting back on the Kevin Love trade and everyone freaking out about how much the Cavs gave up for him.

bluemax

« Reply #21681 on: July 08, 2019, 11:31:34 PM »
Lebron is gonna play point guard this season. That should be interesting to say the least.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #21682 on: July 09, 2019, 07:58:36 PM »
Free agent forward Marcus Morris could abandon a two-year, $20 million agreement with the San Antonio Spurs and accept a one-year deal with the New York Knicks, league sources tell ESPN.

Morris' agreement with the Spurs includes a player option, but the Knicks suddenly have the salary cap space to make him a more substantial first-year offer on a deal, league sources said.

To use the full $9.3 million midlevel exception on Morris, the Spurs traded forward Davis Bertans to the Washington Wizards and reworked an original two-year, $13M agreement with DeMarre Carroll to make it a three-year, $21 million contract.

If Morris backs out of a Spurs deal, there will be some roster carnage left in his wake.

The salary cap space for the Knicks is suddenly available because the team and free agent forward Reggie Bullock are no longer executing a two-year, $21 million deal, and instead are reworking the terms down to a lower financial commitment, league sources said.

Agent David Bauman and the Knicks are re-evaluating Bullock's fitness to play a full season in 2019-20.

The Knicks already signed three power forwards in free agency, including Julius Randle, Bobby Portis and Taj Gibson.
NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKERS BASKETBALL

benjipwns

« Reply #21683 on: July 09, 2019, 08:01:30 PM »
The Clippers have officially signed rookies Mfiondu Kabengele and Terance Mann, the team announced.
those are video game rookie generator names :comeon

benjipwns

« Reply #21684 on: July 09, 2019, 10:06:28 PM »
LAS VEGAS -- At its annual meeting here during NBA summer league, the league's board of governors approved a pair of changes for next season: the use of a coach's challenge and the league's replay center initiating replay proceedings for certain types of plays.

The NBA's competition committee proposed both changes, and they earned unanimous support from the league's 30 teams.

The coach's challenge, which has been used in the NBA's G League for each of the past two seasons and has been in place for this year's version of the summer league, will be used next season by the NBA on a one-year trial basis.

Teams can use one challenge per game regardless of whether it is successful, and it can be utilized to question a variety of instances, including a called personal foul on the coach's own team, an out-of-bounds call, goaltending or basket interference. The challenge can be used at any point during the game. However, in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime, any out of bounds, goaltending or basket-interference calls will be automatically triggered for review and are not challengeable.

To challenge a play, a team must have a timeout and call one after the play, and then its coach must twirl his finger toward the referees to signal for the challenge. If a team doesn't have a timeout and attempts to challenge a play, it will be charged a technical foul and no challenge will occur. There must be clear and conclusive visual evidence to overturn a call.

Meanwhile, the league's replay center in Secaucus, New Jersey, is now able to instantly call for the review of two types of plays: whether a shot is a 2- or 3-pointer (both for made baskets to determine which it is, as well as when a player is fouled while shooting, to determine whether he gets two or three free throws), and for a potential shot-clock violation.

The league will now have a "courtside administrator," a new position hired and supervised by the NBA's league office, positioned at the scorer's table to speed up the communication between the replay center and the on-court referees.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21685 on: July 09, 2019, 10:56:39 PM »
Challenge thing is kinda cool. Although only one per game sounds a bit too stingy. You know in a big game people will save that for a critical late game foul call.

I think maybe 1 a half. Or two overall in a game or something. Or if you have just one, a successful challenge shouldn't count against the total. Why is a team being penalized when they just fixed a bad call by having that ability nullified for the rest of the game.

benjipwns

« Reply #21686 on: July 11, 2019, 02:30:31 AM »
Irving's contract is especially interesting: eight separate incentives -- $125,000 each, all deemed "unlikely" -- and thus not included in Irving's current cap hit. Irving's initial salary for 2019-20 is $31,720,000 -- exactly $1 million short of his maximum. Hitting all eight bonuses would make up the difference.

Irving would earn $125,000 apiece if:

He appears in at least 70 regular-season games.

He appears in at least 60 regular-season games and averages fewer than 2.4 turnovers per game. Irving has averaged 2.6 turnovers per game over his career, and between 2.3 and 2.7 in each of his past six seasons.

He appears in at least 60 regular-season games and attempts at least 4.6 free throws per game. Irving has averaged 4.4 free throws per game for his career, and has fallen below the 4.6 mark in each of his past two seasons.

He shoots 88.5 percent or better from the free throw line in the regular season. Irving is a career 87.5 percent free throw shooter. He has cracked the 88.5 percent mark in three of his eight career seasons.

Makes at least 2.8 3-pointers per game in the regular season. Irving has accomplished that just once in eight seasons. He has averaged 2.1 made 3s per game over his career.

He commits fewer than 2.1 fouls per game in the regular season. His career average: 2.2.

The Nets score at least 114 points per 100 possessions in the regular season with Irving on the floor.

eleuin

• perennial loser

benjipwns

« Reply #21688 on: July 11, 2019, 02:41:07 AM »
the projection only expects him to possibly have a max of two non-negative seasons over the next seven :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #21689 on: July 11, 2019, 07:20:22 AM »
Marc Spears said that Westbrook wanted out of OKC before the George trade, that they were both looking to be traded without telling the other about it :idont

ToxicAdam

« Reply #21690 on: July 11, 2019, 08:15:42 AM »
If I'm the 76'ers and looking at the NBA landscape, and their place in it, Russell Westbrook makes a lot of sense on their team in order for them to keep up.  You can use Simmons as bait, get out of the business of trying to develop him and you won't have to sign him to a regretful long-term contract.

benjipwns

« Reply #21691 on: July 11, 2019, 09:22:53 AM »
The Sixers would have to trade Embiid currently to get Westbrook, everyone else on the team that can be traded doesn't add up to enough. :lol

ToxicAdam

« Reply #21692 on: July 11, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »
Maybe they could get a third team involved and swap picks for a bad contract to make the money work.

benjipwns

« Reply #21693 on: July 11, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
okay i figured it out guys

[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #21694 on: July 11, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »
something like this was what Marc Spears was actually suggesting for some reason but he didn't know what other player than Dragic would have to be included salary wise, but Miami has a number of guys making 11-15 million over two years that would work:

but can you imagine Harden and Westbrook's usage :neogaf

benjipwns

« Reply #21695 on: July 11, 2019, 02:32:13 PM »
wait! you can team him up with KD and Irving! and not even have to give up DeAndre Jordan!

Sam Presti, if you really want to get under that luxury tax, here ya go buddy, don't worry, Jordan will do it:
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21696 on: July 11, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »
I bet the guy who didn't even get his picture in the system is gonna have a monster year.
©@©™

Beezy

« Reply #21697 on: July 11, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #21698 on: July 11, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »
Haha guess that’s about the last big one. I kinda like the move for Houston.

agrajag

« Reply #21699 on: July 11, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »
didn't Harden leave OKC to get away from Westbrook in the first place?

El Babua

« Reply #21700 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:13 PM »
Harden left cause the OKC owner didn't want to go over the cap and gambled on Ibaka being a more important piece

agrajag

we'll give a CP3 a home in Miami

benjipwns

The Thunder have received seven future first-round picks combined in deals sending out Westbrook and Paul George. They have received so many future first-round picks, it will be interesting to see if they can even roster all of them.
all the picks :phil

benjipwns

BisMarckie

Why are they screaming?
Must be the pain of being a perpetual second round exit. :rodney

benjipwns

I guess Paul may yet wind up in Miami, OKC thought they can get more out of doing two separate deals than having to work with Houston. It also makes sense that Paul might be willing to go to more teams as long as they're playoff teams, while Westbrook wanted only Miami or Houston.

I imagine it's probably much easier to keep Paul around until the December 15th players open up too.

Kinda sucks that they traded out Jerami Grant though.

[close]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:52:41 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27178432/lebron-no-6-wait-due-nike-issue
LeBron James won't be giving up his No. 23 to new teammate Anthony Davis after all.

The planned jersey swap for the 2019-20 season has been postponed due to potential production and financial issues with manufacturer Nike, a source told ESPN's Dave McMenamin, confirming a Yahoo! Sports report.

A league source confirmed to ESPN that the NBA notified the Lakers that a March 15 deadline for jersey changes had passed, but it would waive it if Nike, the league's official outfitter, complied. The company did not, as the unused inventory of No. 23 James jerseys already produced would have led to a financial hit "well into the tens of millions of dollars," a source told ESPN.

James, per the Yahoo! report, thus decided to postpone the jersey change out of what the website called consideration for fans who already purchased his No. 23 and a desire to keep the situation from becoming a distraction.
#latestagecapitalismthread

ToxicAdam

Damn, that’s dirty. Lebrun better buy AD a 4 million dollar, pink diamond (stud earring). As per Laker tradition.

Stoney Mason

Like most people I've of two minds on the rockets thing. Chris Paul was certainly declining faster than I expected. Watching him in the playoffs was a bit sad as he could no longer take people he would have easily taken off the dribble just a few seasons ago.

Westbrook will certainly be able to do that by comparison. But his shooting ability and shot selection is so inferior by comparison that its a bit scary. Will be fascinating to watch either way.

benjipwns

benjipwns

benjipwns

After hearing concerns from owners and fielding inquiries from top agents over the past several weeks, the NBA has opened an investigation into how free agency operated this summer, multiple league sources told ESPN.

The scope of the investigation is still being determined, but sources say it will likely focus on some of the earliest reported deals on June 30 -- the first day teams and representatives for free agents are technically allowed to speak. League officials are expected to begin scheduling interviews in the coming days as they seek to gather information, sources said. There is no timetable for its completion.

The urgency for this step grew out of the board of governors meeting earlier this month in Las Vegas, sources said. During the meeting, owners raised concerns about the flurry of deals that were completed within hours of the official start of free agency on June 30, with the belief that tampering rules may have been violated, sources said.

More than a billion dollars in contracts were agreed to in the first 24 hours of the new league year, making it likely that negotiations had begun and in numerous cases were finalized well before the official opening of free agency.

Zach Lowe and Brian Windhorst's further stories talk about how agents, players/reps, and teams all are looking at contract lengths/max deals/deadlines/etc.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27240776/why-kawhi-leonard-power-move-was-watershed-moment
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27243621/inside-tense-nba-owners-meeting-change-free-agency

The main problem is that part mention where tons of money/slots were already called before free agency officially started and that some agents/players/teams are playing looser with the rules than others. Not that they want to punish any teams or players but potentially just change the dates and do away with the fiction of the deadlines. They've already done this once, if you remember the moratorium used to be like three weeks instead of a few days.
In the midst of it, Rick Buchanan, the NBA's longtime general counsel, issued an evenhanded but sobering message to the room, multiple sources said.

Buchanan told the governors that as partners they were entitled to expect all teams to abide by a common set of enforceable rules for free agency -- and that the league office would come back with a proposal for a revised set of rules that would then be strictly enforced. He asked the group if they were comfortable with the league "seizing servers and cellphones," a line that stuck with many in attendance, according to sources who recounted the scene later.

Buchanan's tone was not threatening, or aggressive, sources say. He appeared to be offering guidance: This is what strict enforcement might look like.
The trigger seems to not be LeBron and Davis as much as George and Kawhi, the fact that it happened so suddenly and out of the seemingly nowhere, not even complaining about the deal itself (a few GMs think the Thunder got the best of the deal according to Lowe) just how it happened before anyone else even knew that it was an option on the table because Kawhi and George set it up themselves and then told the teams about it. And then how it immediately spread into Westbrook. After a ton of teams had already hard capped themselves and/or used up all their space. The complaint being how two superstars essentially didn't go on the market because there was no market ever made even on the level of Davis' list of teams from last year.

Like the above quote, the main thing is that they may want to get rid of some fictions like currently you don't talk deals with players, you talk to their agents at the draft combine or talk "extensions" which is all fiction like how players used to have to be injured and they changed it to the inactive list. They don't enforce these rules anyway so they're thinking about just getting rid of them.

Lowe also talks about how teams still have a fear that someone like KAT might dog it until their contract is up to force their way out. That some small market teams want to give them more ways to offer better deals to current players. Apparently on that point the league governors are completely baffled at players not taking the fifth year supermaxes that were supposed to be the counter.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Re: The NBA thread (Waiting for the off-season to end)
« Reply #21715 on: July 24, 2019, 12:53:01 PM »
People hate to see a black man making money.  :pacspit
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21716 on: July 24, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »
But no one can hate Ballmer.

©@©™

benjipwns

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #21718 on: July 27, 2019, 10:36:56 PM »
Exposing the Myth of Jeffrey one day at a time. :bow2

benjipwns

« Reply #21719 on: July 28, 2019, 12:30:50 AM »
without David Stern to prop him up, foolish jordon will soon only be remembered for his failed time as Charlotte Hornets owner plus when he tried to break the union and extend the lockout

Wilt had two seasons at 24/24/8, but not 25 ppg, SO NOT GOOD ENOUGH :camby
[close]