Author Topic: Can you name your top 5 games of all time?  (Read 7845 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: Can you name your top 5 games of all time?
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »
hrm, i hate 'all time' lists for things as ephemeral and fast-aging as video games specifically and in general for being bloody stupid (since none of us can possibly experience all the shit that is around us right now, never mind in the past and future) but anyway, my 5 faves might well be

Planescape Torment
Ninja Gaiden Black
Half-Life
Baldur's Gate 2
Quake 2 (multi and mod scene mostly)
vjj

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2013, 02:33:16 AM »
hrm, i hate 'all time' lists for things as ephemeral and fast-aging as video games specifically and in general for being bloody stupid (since none of us can possibly experience all the shit that is around us right now, never mind in the past and future) but anyway, my 5 faves might well be

I think the notion of "top" lists are more about defining yourself and not hedging. Any normal fairly hardcore gamer probably has so many games that his list would change almost completely based on his mood. It's more about sort of saying this is what I think/thought was the shit and am willing to go out on the line for.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:51 AM »
did you just tell me not to hedge, Stoney :lol
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2013, 03:02:11 AM »
StarCraft: Brood War
Zelda Ocarina Of Time
WarCraft II
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Street Fighter II

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2013, 03:11:28 AM »
not really, but these are what immediately came to mind:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Red Dead Redemption
Fallout 3
Battlefield 1942
Defender
sup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2013, 03:19:04 AM »

Not specifically you. But yeah.  :)

What I meant was that its more fun to see people's list of 5 rather than people's list of 30. Because while I like nuance more than the next guy obviously based on my posting style, its more fun in this specific case to see people limited. When people say their top 5 I get a better sense of what they value or what they say they value.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2013, 03:22:37 AM »
So, how many people would happily sit down and replay their top 5 games, start to finish, as they are now (no mods or graphical overhauls...and put in the kind of hours into the MP that you did back then)? And not just in some fantasy land if-i-had-the-time way...actually shove aside unfinished games from this month or whenever to play the old stuff. Sadly from my list the only ones I could even imagine doing so for would be Planescape and NGB
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »
Well COD 4 was in mine and you could argue I'm essentially still playing COD 4 in Black Ops 2.  :P

But honestly while I love games I don't really get nostalgic to go back and play them in the same way I get nostalgic for movies or music.

The exception for me would be arcade style games or pinball games which are generally completely mechanics based. As much as I loved Resident Evil 2, I don't think I have a craving to actually go back and play it. And if I did even for curiosity sake, I think I kinda would wanna see it get a HD makeover.

Once again I'm not that way about movies at all. I wouldn't want to see movies get "updated" in some weird way but videogame tech for me is different because its always about upgrades in that case from generation to generation.

cool breeze

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2013, 03:32:57 AM »
Listing multiplayer games is sort of bittersweet.  Maybe somewhere out there there are devoted communities for battlefield vietnam, codename eagle, igi2 multiplayer demo, unreal 2 xmp, and neocron.  Who knows.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:29 AM »
So, how many people would happily sit down and replay their top 5 games, start to finish, as they are now (no mods or graphical overhauls...and put in the kind of hours into the MP that you did back then)? And not just in some fantasy land if-i-had-the-time way...actually shove aside unfinished games from this month or whenever to play the old stuff. Sadly from my list the only ones I could even imagine doing so for would be Planescape and NGB
I just finished a playthrough FFX yesterday actually. You say with no graphical overhauls, I guess that's harder. I mean I just played the HD versions of ZoE and MGS recently. I played the PS2 version of RE4 and then the HD release not to long after it was released. Ideally I'll play these games every year, but hopefully life stops me from that. But I'd probably play the HD versions. Outside of ZoE the hd versions are just the same games in HD so why not?

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2013, 03:53:18 AM »
I'd play enhanced HD or whatever ports and remakes but not the original games. Can't be bothered.

archnemesis

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2013, 04:03:21 AM »
So, how many people would happily sit down and replay their top 5 games, start to finish, as they are now?
The games I picked all still hold up well and I replay them occasionally. Good games don't age poorly. Of course, if there is a HD version of the game then I'm going to play that instead.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 04:32:03 AM »
Civilization 2
World of Warcraft
Zelda: OOT
Final Fantasy 7
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

This is probaly really unfair to some games I played to death in the 80's/90's
River Raid
Super Mario Bros
Daytona CCE
Sega Rally
Mortal Kombat 2
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:40:31 AM by Premium Lager »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2013, 04:43:33 AM »
Doom 2 and some other stuff.

Doom wouldn't crack a top 10 list for me or anything but man I can remember it clear as a fucking bell the first time I ever saw doom running on a roomates computer and just being blown away. I know Doom wasn't the first fps technically (even from those guys) but man the way it put it all together it might as well have been. It's a cliche to say now but nothing was the same after that game. It was one of the most influential things ever.

The thing I love about it is it's like wine. The gameplay is so slick and smooth that it still holds up, so the only thing time does to it is allow it to reap the benefits of improved technology. I can play the same awesome Doom 2 now, but with HD resolution, higher frame rate and better controls. Boss.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »
I dunno, I'm taking this to mean "Which games influenced you the most?" which is easier to answer than some kind of Desert Island List.

• Zork
  • GTA III
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Rock Band
  • Bully

I guess I really like open-world games.

:lol

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2013, 05:50:05 AM »
Someone wubs Rockstar  :-*

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2013, 06:38:38 AM »
Tetris
Super Metroid
Zelda: OOT
Super Mario Bros. 3
Starcraft

I guess. Dat nostalgia.
AMC

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2013, 06:41:15 AM »
The Void
Wip3out
Last Blade 2
Sexy Parodious
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon

Off the top of my head. All highly recommendable!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »

's da truf. Though I will say that I've not played Max Payne 3, and LA Noire is the biggest disappointment of this generation. GTA IV was not what I wanted, but LA Noire was just a truckload of horse shit.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2013, 08:08:58 AM »
baldur's gate ii
alpha centauri
gta3
super mario world
smt:nocturne/ff viii

while now i would take nocturne over ff viii, i probably wouldn't have bothered with jrpgs in general if not for it

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »

's da truf. Though I will say that I've not played Max Payne 3, and LA Noire is the biggest disappointment of this generation. GTA IV was not what I wanted, but LA Noire was just a truckload of horse shit.

I really liked LA NOIRE for a few hours, the setting etc. My first footchase.

Game really falls apart when you notice that the interrogations are crap and you're doing same 5 things all the time (and those things aren't executed too good).

GTAIV was BEEP BEEP you wanna go bowling brah? BEEP BEEP. And restarting missions was poop. Apperently this was fixed in expansions, but thats too late for me. I'm not going to buy DLC to fix core issues of games, that should be a patch.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:17 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy - Blew me away in a way few games did before and none have ever since.

Skies of Arcadia - Started off as a fun RPG but when Vyse got stuck on the island and had to find a way to leave, at that point the game clicked with me and became a classic.  Gorgeous environments, memorable music, I was legitimately sad when I beat the game.  It was such a pleasant surprise to see a Skies of Arcadia getting repped in the latest Sonic racing game.

Super Mario World - Loved the music, loved the way they evolved the formula of the game, and it confuses me when people say SMB3 is better.  SMW is such a better game in almost every way.

These are probably my permanent top 3.  The other two games would include but not limited to: Goldeneye 007, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Red Faction Guerrilla, Borderlands 2, Banjo Kazooie, Final Fantasy VI, Grandia 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Warriors Orochi 3, and Dynasty Warriors 5.
🍆🍆

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »
Man I forgot about about Skies of Arcadia.... what an amazing game. I'd love to play it again... okay time to plug in the Dreamcast.

Any of you guys play Headhunter? 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2013, 09:14:03 AM »
I really liked LA NOIRE for a few hours, the setting etc. My first footchase.

Game really falls apart when you notice that the interrogations are crap and you're doing same 5 things all the time (and those things aren't executed too good).

GTAIV was BEEP BEEP you wanna go bowling brah? BEEP BEEP. And restarting missions was poop. Apperently this was fixed in expansions, but thats too late for me. I'm not going to buy DLC to fix core issues of games, that should be a patch.

Yeah, I was excited right up until my 2nd or so interrogation, when it was clear that there was no consistency in the format for Truth/Doubt/Lying implementation. There must have been some severe gameplay tweaking AFTER the performance capture was done, and this was as close to consistent implementation as they could get. But the Euphoria-infected motion, in combination with the vibration-indicated "clue is here" feature just made it unplayable. Just crap.

And GTA IV, I've gone on enough in several other threads, but the mission restart was not addressed in DLC. You can still use your phone to restart missions after respawning at the hospital or police station, but you have to do it immediately, and that means without your armor or a chance to restock on ammo or change weapons. Saints Row mission restart is best mission restart.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »

Well, 3 of mine are pretty much pick-up-and-play games and I frequently go back and play them. The 2 RPGs on my list, a bit harder to make time for. But dated graphics don't bother me very much (aside from really ugly early 3D or that time when everyone was trying grainy digitized graphics or dated-looking 3D renders). I play a mix of older games and newer games, many of the older games being my first time playing them. Looking forward to playing Shining Force 3 and Deus Ex for the first time pretty soon.
^_^

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:45 AM »
no, i like all games until i hate them
duc

Fifstar

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »
Yoshi's Island
System Shock 2 (am I seriously the first to mention this)
Dragon Quest VIII
Super Metroid
Final Fantasy VI

Some honorable mentions: Baldur's Gate 2, Resident Evil 4, Zelda:OoT
Gulp

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
Daytona USA (ARC)
Virtua Fighter 3 (ARC, DC)
Todd's Adventures in Slime World (Lynx)
Elder Scrolls (Series)
Rainbow Six (Xbox)

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »

0. I almost never revisit anything, whether it's video games, books, movies, or TV shows. Well, I'll rewatch comedic TV shows, that's it. Or watch a movie I love if it's on TV or it's Christmas and I am required to watch Die Hard. I don't know why I buy and keep physical copies of anything.
AMC

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »
Did anyone say Shenmue?  I hope not.
vin

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04:58 PM »
Hmm

- Super Mario World
- Ocarina of Time
- Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- Half-Life
- Pokemon Silver

I tried to think about my prime videogaming era, so basically from ages 8-15.  I would include games like Fallout 3 and Mario Galaxy 2, but I need a little more time to stew on them.
püp

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
games (that are appealing due to mechanics or rule sets) are far easier to go back to than something that's primarily a narrative thing like books or tv series or whatevs for me.

Steve Contra

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
Ultima V
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
X-Com OG
Sim City
I dunno, DMC3 probably
vin

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »
In the last year, I've played OoT (3DS version), JKII, and Pokemon Soul Silver to completion, and I'm sure I'll play OoT again in the next few months.  I absolutely love the game and still think it's the most important video game of my era, but it can be kind of a pain to slog through in certain areas.  Good thing the 3DS version has the Master Quest and looks pretty.

With Fallout 3 and the Galaxies, I've played all of them like 3 times in the past year  :lol
püp

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »
I actually replayed Crystalis last year after picking up an old copy for our NES. The game is just as awesome as it was when I was a kid.
野球

Steve Contra

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
Yoshi's Island as well.  I feel bad for anyone who grew up playing 3d marios (until Galaxy came out).
vin

hampster

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »

Is Spyro supported on the Vita yet? I'd go replay it right now if I could!

California Games was a contender for my top 5 but I doubt I could go back to it now. Everything else would be fine, although I would sub in War of the Lions for the original FFT
Zzz

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »
Mushihimesama Futari
Akai Katana Shin
Ninja Gaiden II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Fire Pro Wrestling (S, D, & Returns)

I want to put OutRun 2 SP in there, but there's no room. :(
BiSH

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »
Chronological:

Pirates!
Pool of Radiance
Xcom
Civ
Day of Defeat

Zelda OoT and Phantasy Star 2 would be the top two console games to almost crack the list.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:29:13 PM by ToxicAdam »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2013, 02:38:09 PM »
Alright, I said I didn't really want to do it, but I guess I will:

Planescape: Torment
Super Mario 64
Half-Life 2
Mass Effect 2
Bethesda's Latest RPG

And way too many games that just ALMOST made the top 5 and that I really hate to not mention but there's only 5 open spots so I can only mention so many and there's way too many left.
dog

SantaC

« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
isnt this a santac thread?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
games (that are appealing due to mechanics or rule sets) are far easier to go back to than something that's primarily a narrative thing like books or tv series or whatevs for me.

Yeah, I guess so, but I rather just play a new game almost every time (or multiplayer of some recent game). The exception is something like FTL, which is all about playing over and over oh my god it's so awesome.

Also: when I see "Simcity" or "Civ" are you guys talking about the series or the original games in each series? And I thought about putting Day of Defeat on my list, TA. I put a lot of hours into that (actually, more into the beta than the retail version).
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »

Yeah, I guess so, but I rather just play a new game almost every time (or multiplayer of some recent game). The exception is something like FTL, which is all about playing over and over oh my god it's so awesome.

It's a weird thing to say but for me old mechanics based arcade games are kind of like the experience you get with civilization or something. It's about refining a particular skill set. I can always go and play NBA Jam. In the same way I can always boot up Civilization or something because the dynamics are so different from game to game.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
SotN
LttP
Super Metroid
Bully
FFIV
I guess?
Katamari and EDF could go in there somewhere too since they've also gotten repeat plays/grinds.
Hi

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
Some lists seem really heavy on one time period

That said...

Chronological:

Pirates!
Pool of Radiance
Xcom
Civ
Day of Defeat

Zelda OoT and Phantasy Star 2 would be the top two console games to almost crack the list.

Nice list!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. GoldenEye 007
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5. Gran Turismo 3

Like this is what i mean, 3 games from 1 console screams nostalgia.

*my golden era of gaming*

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
Some lists seem really heavy on one time period

That's what happens when you take 20 years of gaming and compress it down to 5 picks.
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »
Everyone's favorite shit is from their teens/20s, whoda thunk it? :-[
Hi

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. GoldenEye 007
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5. Gran Turismo 3

I'm not exactly sure what you're point is.  For a lot of us, the most enjoyable gaming experiences happened within a very short span of time, looking back at it.  You see some of the older members listing mostly old NES and PC games, which is to be expected.  That's probably when they were first getting seriously into gaming.  Just like kids 19-30 were huge into SNES/Genesis and N64/PS1 stuff.
püp

SantaC

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
Everyone's favorite shit is from their teens/20s, whoda thunk it? :-[

1. halo4
2. COD Black ops 2
3. Diablo 3
4. Mass Effect 3
5. Far Cry 3

Fifstar

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. GoldenEye 007
4. Super Mario Bros. 3
5. Gran Turismo 3

Like Raphexon said, most people tend to enjoy video games the most somewhere around the age of 10 - 15, so I think it's only natural that most lists are slanted towards a certain time period. I still have fun with games and can see that they are excellently designed (probably much better than I could when I was a kid/teenager), but when I make a list of my favourite games the subjective feeling that I had when played them playes a significant role. Nobody is making a list of games thinking "this games were the best experience as a result of it's mechanics, story, graphics atmosphere etc. but completly ignoring my subjective appreciation for videogames at that time". Although I don't think it's just nostalgia. For example there are not a lot of NES mentions here, maybe because people tend to prefer the SNES versions which are essentially more refined versions of the NES games.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:10:27 PM by Fifstar »
Gulp

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
Looking at my top five, it's comprised of a mid-90s PC game, an NES game, two SNES games and a PS2 game. The majority are from my childhood/adolescence.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
Just seems like neglect of other periods.

My top 5 spans 11 years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:28:20 PM by Premium Lager »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
Just seems like neglect of other periods.

What, like, one pick from each console generation, is that what you want?
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
Its lists you can do what you want, just seems very strange if you dont enjoy anything as much anymore.

Or view those old games through some magic prism.

Maybw its a case of sticking to what you like to much a holding up new games to those childhood memories?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »
Top 5 is really small and I think someone here said it depends on mood, but I find it hard to believe so many of you havent picked a single game from this mammoth gen that lasted 7 years.

Seriously dudes.

Fifstar

« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
Most people let some time pass after they experience something to decide if it is really worth "best of all time" status. And while this generation is long, almost all of it's earlier games have been surpassed by latter games.
Gulp

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »

Also: when I see "Simcity" or "Civ" are you guys talking about the series or the original games in each series? And I thought about putting Day of Defeat on my list, TA. I put a lot of hours into that (actually, more into the beta than the retail version).

I listed Wip3out, but Wipeout 2097, Wip3out SE, Wipeout Pulse, Wipeout HD Fury are really all good enough to play today and different enough that no one title supplants any other. The same could be said for R-Type, Gradius and a couple of other series. The nice thing is that you come in to a new title with a much stronger sense of base mechanics and the variations on the rules are much more apparent; the changes to the handling model between Wip3out and Wip3out Special Edition; the introduction of Dose in R-Type; etc.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
I still play through RtCW every year or so, even though I know it by heart now. Great comfort game. Same with RDR, I'll boot it up from time to time just to ride the horse around and stare at the pretty scenery. I have a 100 or so FO3 saves, occasionally will pick one at random and just fart around. Can't play BF1942 much, the only people left playing nowadays are the insane. Can't play Defender, don't have the reflexes for it anymore.
sup

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »
Its lists you can do what you want, just seems very strange if you dont enjoy anything as much anymore.

I don't.
AMC