Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519827 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #18420 on: July 31, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18421 on: July 31, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
One topic was the root cause of the Knicks' struggles at the time. Jackson put some of the onus on his players' shortcomings.

"Today's players simply lack the skills to play the triangle," Jackson told Rosen in an interview published Friday by Today's Fastbreak. "They know how to play one-on-one, catch-and-shoot, and they've mastered crossover dribbles, spins, playing off of screens and step-back shots. They don't know how to execute things like inside-reverse pivots and other basic footwork. They have no sense of timing or organization. They don't really know how to play five-on-five basketball. It's strictly generational."

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18422 on: August 01, 2016, 01:18:07 AM »
Days after hanging up his rec-specs following a 15-year NBA career, Amar'e Stoudemire has scratched a basketball itch, reportedly agreeing to join Israeli side Hapoel Jerusalem.

Stoudemire, 33, is part of an ownership group that bought a 90 percent share of the team in 2013, and since then, the Ligat HaAl side has emerged as one of the league's better clubs.
:doge

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #18423 on: August 01, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »
My schwanz is the same size as Draymond Green's. :lol :lol :lol :lol :doge
UK

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #18424 on: August 01, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
L
YMMV

Syph

« Reply #18425 on: August 01, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
"Phoenix Dark likes this" as if that were ever in doubt
XO

benjipwns

« Reply #18426 on: August 03, 2016, 04:23:28 AM »
According to celebrity chef and larger-than-life personality Guy Fieri, he himself may have had a hand in Durant signing with Golden State.
Fieri says: Unfair! [Long pause.] I can say it without being guilty because he's now a Warrior: KD. It's not an easy decision, and should have just as well not said anything. Steph is phenomenal. KD is phenomenal. They both have their uniqueness about them. Maybe I'm in the KD moment now because he's coming to the team. I never...well, I shouldn't say I never thought it would happen. I remember telling his agent during the Playoffs, "I know he's coming up, you've gotta get him to Golden State."

First We Feast: Wait a second—you predicted it would happen?

Fieri says: You can ask his agent, I said it to him during the Playoffs. I even have the text. I said, "It's coming up, I want him, you gotta bring him." And he was laughing—yeah, yeah, yeah—and he blew me off. [Then later on] I was away from my cell phone, out on the boat, and I was able to get a signal. In came a note from my buddy: "KD GS," and I went arghhhhhh! I went and woke up the kids.

Syph

« Reply #18427 on: August 04, 2016, 12:30:07 AM »
LOL Derek Fisher apparently mulling a return to the NBA as a player
My boy Matt Barnes is ready anytime  :pacspit
XO

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #18428 on: August 05, 2016, 01:11:59 PM »
LOL Derek Fisher apparently mulling a return to the NBA as a player
My boy Matt Barnes is ready anytime  :pacspit

You do know fisher had Barnes in a choke hold right? I love how that part gets left out lol.

Barnes is and always was a bitch.
YMMV

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18429 on: August 05, 2016, 02:10:11 PM »
How does it feel to make less money than a bitch

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #18430 on: August 05, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
How does it feel to make less money than a bitch

Assumptions my man, assumptions.

Also all these flavors and your always choosing salty. Your life that bad? Sorry bro :tocry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:16:46 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18431 on: August 05, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »
All that money and you can't buy an original comeback

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #18432 on: August 05, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »
All that money and you can't buy an original comeback

I don't spend money on hoes. It's a investment with diminishing returns.

YMMV

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18433 on: August 11, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »
The Coli's most respected member, Walt, wrote an article for Sports Illustrated
:whew
Will America ever tire of Charles Barkley’s clumsy act?

Two decades ago Charles Barkley infamously cautioned us he was not a role model. He has made as much clear again and again and again and again and again over the course of his careers as a professional basketball player and an NBA analyst. He’s a notorious (and arguably proud) drinker, an avid gambler, and an ill-tempered putdown artist. He has spit at a fan (and, inadvertently, on a child), thrown a man through a plate-glass window and — as he subsequently lie bleeding — suggested that the man deserved to die,threatened police with violence, and driven drunkenly in search of a repeat performance of the best fellatio he ever had from a prostitute.

Despite — or, more realistically, because of — his very public embrace of degeneracy, Sir Charles has now comfortably settled into a Knighthood as one of America’s favorite off-color truth-tellers, a sort of lovable, inebriated, ranting uncle unrestrained by the leash of basic civility and decency that makes the rest of us mind our manners.

Barkley walks in a long line of celebrities to whom society grants exemption from the fundamental moral codes we champion; we encourage his boorishness much in the same way we celebrate the womanizing of Derek Jeter and Hugh Hefner, the crassness and dope-smoking of Snoop, and the “mischievousness” of Bill Clinton. These are figures Joan Didion described as the dreams we don’t want to admit having, evidence of “the apparently bottomless gulf between what we say we want and what we do want, between what we officially admire and secretly desire, between, in the largest sense, the people we marry and the people we love. “

In that context — and only in that context — can we make sense of the announcement that TNT is granting Barkley a television show to discuss something as serious and significant as race. (Not “racism” of course, but “race” — and under a slanted title with an antagonistic implication nonetheless). At this moment in American society, when racial tension is at full boil; with blacks being shot dead on camera with jarring regularity; with politicians openly characterizing minorities as “sub-groups” that haven’t contributed to Western civilization, Charles Barkley has inexplicably been appointed to navigate these challenging waters.

Why? Because people will tune in. In our society, ratings and buzz and revenue have become the ultimate justifications, even in this absolutely crazy political climate.

His opinions on players, strategies, and contenders betray a complete and utter lack of research, understanding, or even regard for the topics. He is unprepared and ineffective at discussing basketball in any way that enlightens viewers. He recycles the same empty talking points about jump-shooting teams and size ad nauseum. He rarely seems to have paid close attention to the games he subsequently analyzes, substituting “bold” opinions that run a very limited gamut — from ad hominem attacks to jokes about cities and people who are “ugly” or “fat.”

His insights on race are even less nuanced and less informed. They are, however, predictable.

He believed the George Zimmerman verdict was fair and correct; he argued — in the wake of a medial examiner’s ruling to the contrary — that Eric Garner’s homicide was not in fact a homicide; he agreed with the controversial decision not to indict Darren Wilson for the murder of Michael Brown; he believed the cops who pulled over Philando Castile for having a wide nose might have been justified in murdering the man “because in fairness, because some black people out there are crooks;” he shied away from declaring slavery horrific, because — despite an inestimable amount of historical validation — he didn’t personally experience it.

Barkley seemingly has never met a clichéd talking point rooted in the noxious rhetoric of black pathology he could resist.

The point — clear though it is — isn’t just that Barkley is unfit to lead, discuss, or mediate any discussion on racism in America. The point — clear though it is — isn’t just that Barkley is a stone-cold, garden-variety moron. The point is — and we’ve covered this terrain before — the media makes itself complicit in the most cynical form of race-baiting by continually granting a platform to loud, uninformed, intellectually unqualified black sports analysts who discuss race relations almost exclusively in the framework of black cultural pathology.
http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2016/08/08/charles-barkley-tnt-tv-show-race-card-tired-act
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/walt-s-i-article-eviscerating-charles-barkley-and-his-embrace-by-the-media.452623/

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18434 on: August 11, 2016, 12:11:05 PM »
Charles is basically your know it all uncle he wants to tell you how the world is when you know most of what he is saying is bullshit.

It's fine for Inside the NBA where that sort of mentality is rampant in sports but there is no way I would watch another show based on real life issues with that same sort of approach.

Bill Maher is basically the white version of that and I also consider him unwatchable.

benjipwns

« Reply #18435 on: August 18, 2016, 03:21:44 AM »
The Los Angeles Lakers are finalizing a deal to bring China star Yi Jianlian back to the NBA, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN that the Lakers and Yi have agreed to terms and are in the latter stages of cementing a one-year deal in the $8 million range for the veteran forward to return to the NBA for the first time since the 2011-12 season.

The Lakers, sources said, tried in the summer of 2015 to sign Yi and this year renewed those efforts in the wake of the former lottery pick's strong play in Rio on his fourth trip to the Olympics as a cornerstone player for China.

benjipwns

« Reply #18436 on: September 08, 2016, 04:34:32 AM »

:hitler

benjipwns

« Reply #18437 on: September 08, 2016, 04:40:19 AM »

:neogaf

benjipwns

« Reply #18438 on: September 12, 2016, 05:18:35 AM »

Stoney Mason

El Babua

Re: The NBA thread (Kevin Garnett retires)
« Reply #18440 on: September 23, 2016, 08:18:39 PM »
See ya KG. Great career.

Not a lot of 90s OGs left.

El Babua

« Reply #18441 on: September 23, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »
Looks like Bosh is done.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #18442 on: September 23, 2016, 11:17:55 PM »
See ya KG. Great career.

Not a lot of 90s OGs left.

:dizzy :gloomy
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18443 on: September 23, 2016, 11:56:13 PM »
Looks like Bosh is done.

Yeah it does. Very unfortunate.

Stoney Mason

El Babua

« Reply #18445 on: September 26, 2016, 03:29:22 PM »
Shame how it's all going down.

Just hope Bosh doesn't risk it by trying for another team.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

Yulwei

« Reply #18448 on: October 01, 2016, 05:44:30 PM »
Just read about Bosh. WTF. blood clots are no joke he needs to let it go

benjipwns

« Reply #18449 on: October 07, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »
Zach Lowe's League Pass Rankings:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17681632/the-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-1
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17726743/the-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-2

Always the best breakdown of new courts, coach antics and nutsy lineup potentials.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18450 on: October 07, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
Wish he would've jumped ship over to the Ringer :(
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #18451 on: October 07, 2016, 06:08:19 PM »
IIRC, ESPN offered him a pretty good contract to stay when they killed off Grantland. One of the few they really wanted to keep.

The rumor was that the Bleacher Report offered him a million a year and ESPN topped it.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18452 on: October 07, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
Oh I think it made complete sense for him to stay with that contract – there's no way he would make that at The Ringer.

Just sucks because I hate giving ESPN clicks, and their formating online does NOT work nearly as well as the relative freedom Grantland had with media embeds and Lowe's mile-long articles.
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #18453 on: October 07, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »
ESPN's new design has been so garbage.

The funny thing with ESPN's design changes if that if you go back even a year or two to older articles, many are completely broken. None of the stats in Kevin Pelton's preview for 2015 show up unless you go into print mode which removes all of ESPN's design formatting. Also whole paragraphs because they were in tables and images are missing. Same thing with Chad Ford's old mock drafts or whatever. I assume most articles are like this, those are just the examples I noticed looking for stuff in the past.

And you can't click to get an authors list of articles or even search to do it. And now they've messed with the previous day scores so you can't jump from one game to the next like you could.

And take all of that and make it even worse on mobile. I have no idea what platform they designed this for. Even their own videos don't embed on their own site properly. :lol

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18454 on: October 07, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »
It's legitimately shocking how little effort gets put into ESPN's web and mobile solutions.  Disney needs to do something about that – generally Disney's web/mobile implementations are great.

Like, in this day and age, people's main access with ESPN is on their phone or tablet.  Scrote up and redesign things appropriately.
püp

benjipwns

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18456 on: October 07, 2016, 09:41:04 PM »
I remember when ESPN redesigned their website because it was trashy and cluttered and its arguably even more trashy and cluttered than it use to be.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 09:52:31 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18457 on: October 15, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
J.R. Smith and the Cavs have come to terms on a four-year $57 million deal, league sources say

Last piece.

Cavs teams salary at 137 mil this year.

edit: One site I looked at gave that total. Another says 125 mil this season.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:20:02 PM by Stoney Mason »

dkdk

« Reply #18458 on: October 15, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
D'Tective having a solid preseason. Lakers got some movement in the offense now :lawd

El Babua

« Reply #18459 on: October 15, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »
Heat haven't looked bad in the preseason. Priming myself for some Waiters fuckery in a month's time however.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #18460 on: October 15, 2016, 05:37:49 PM »
deangelo looks like he's improved his shot so much. wouldn't be surprised if he hits 39-40% on 3s this season

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #18461 on: October 15, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »
deangelo looks like he's improved his shot so much. wouldn't be surprised if he hits 39-40% on 3s this season

:snoop
YMMV

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #18462 on: October 15, 2016, 08:58:23 PM »
Wait...I read his basketball reference projections for 16-17 as his 15-16 stats.

:lupe

Lemme walk that one back.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18463 on: October 16, 2016, 02:19:50 AM »
Well, he was .389 after the All-Star break, and was .411 from the shorter college line his one year.  It's not crazy.

I remember Bradley Beal having a similar rough start shooting the ball the first half of his rookie year (they were both 19 when they went pro) and at least that part of his game worked out in the end.

benjipwns

« Reply #18464 on: October 16, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
The Milwaukee Bucks and Chicago Bulls are nearing agreement on a trade to swap guard Michael Carter-Williams for swingman Tony Snell, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Bucks, who have been openly looking for more shooting and defense on the perimeter in the wake of a long-term injury suffered by starter Khris Middleton just days before the start of training camp, have targeted Snell to give them some much-needed help on the wing.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #18465 on: October 16, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »
Well, he was .389 after the All-Star break, and was .411 from the shorter college line his one year.  It's not crazy.

I remember Bradley Beal having a similar rough start shooting the ball the first half of his rookie year (they were both 19 when they went pro) and at least that part of his game worked out in the end.

:snoop
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18466 on: October 16, 2016, 03:09:43 PM »
Cavs' starting lineup (Irving-Smith-LeBron-Love-Thompson) will make about $100M..more than 18 teams' entire rosters, including Warriors

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

As far as the Lakers, I think they have reason to be hopeful for the first time in a long time. They have a lot of young talent. Everybody seems to be healthy at the moment. While I'm not a huge Luke Walton guy, anything is an upgrade over Byron Scott. They are basically finally starting the process that Kobe stopped from happening years ago.

benjipwns

« Reply #18467 on: October 17, 2016, 03:55:04 AM »
holy crap, the pick the Bucks sent the Sixers for MCW originally is a Lakers pick that's only top three and #1 protected the next two years

and the Kings turned down a MCW for Ben McLemore deal

i remember the Sixers getting shit on for dealing him after he won ROY

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18468 on: October 18, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »

Manute Bol's kid.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18469 on: October 18, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
holy crap, the pick the Bucks sent the Sixers for MCW originally is a Lakers pick that's only top three and #1 protected the next two years

The pick actually came from the Suns.  It was a three-way trade and the Bucks sent them Brandon Knight.

How did the Suns get that Lakers pick originally?  The Steve Nash sign-and-trade.   :sabu

benjipwns

« Reply #18470 on: October 19, 2016, 02:38:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26lAhP_Emts

Manute Bol's kid.
their offense basically becomes "outlet to Bol" over the course of those highlights

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18471 on: October 19, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »
https://streamable.com/4ygi

I'm actually a nerd who loves watching full games from like the ancient past. It's fun to see how people played then relative to now.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:09:46 PM by Stoney Mason »

bluemax

NO

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18475 on: October 21, 2016, 12:09:59 AM »
KD is such a cock
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #18476 on: October 21, 2016, 11:58:46 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18477 on: October 24, 2016, 06:12:01 PM »
Season starts tonight. Only a few games. Full slate tomorrow

edit: As usual I'm one day early. Meant Tuesday and Wednesday.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:56:22 PM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

Re: The NBA thread (Season begins)
« Reply #18478 on: October 24, 2016, 06:30:28 PM »
Pelton updated the ESPN projections with the roster finalization and CARMELO has day one projections:

Ranked according to Real Plus-Minus. (RPM / 538's CARMELO / Andrew Johnson who won the last two seasons APBR pre-season projections using the SportVU tracking data plus a +/- method)

West:
1. GSW (67-15 / 68-14 / 72-10) 2. SAS (54-28 / 52-30 / 58-24) 3. UTA (47-35 / 51-31 / 46-36) 4. HOU (47-35 / 45-37 / 48-34)
5. LAC (47-35 / 48-34 / 53-29) 6. OKC (46-36 / 50-32 / 43-39) 7. POR (45-37 / 46-36 / 44-38) 8. DEN (42-40 / 40-42 / 35-47)
9. MEM (40-42 / 35-47 / 39-43) 10. MIN (38-44 / 46-36 / 30-52) 11. SAC (38-44 / 34-48 / 35-47) 12. NOP (37-45 / 35-47 / 37-45)
13. DAL (35-47 / 37-45 / 41-41) 14. PHO (29-53 / 31-51 / 24-58) 15. LAL (24-58 / 25-57 / 22-60)

East:
1. CLE (54-28 / 57-25 / 55-27) 2. BOS (49-33 / 47-35 / 51-31) 3. TOR (48-34 / 51-31 / 52-30) 4. DET (47-35 / 39-43 / 41-41)
5. CHA (42-40 / 45-37 / 45-37) 6. WAS (42-40 / 38-44 / 41-41) 7. ATL (40-42 / 38-44 / 43-39) 8. IND (39-43 / 37-45 / 43-39)
9. CHI (39-43 / 45-37 / 35-47) 10. ORL (37-45 / 38-44 / 35-47) 11. MIA (35-47 / 33-49 / 36-46) 12. NYK (35-47 / 35-47 / 37-45)
13. MIL (33-49 / 32-50 / 34-48) 14. BRK (29-53 / 23-59 / 27-55) 15. PHI (26-56 / 29-53 / 26-56)

I never get my shit together to play argh.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread (Season begins)
« Reply #18479 on: October 24, 2016, 10:41:39 PM »
Utah  :leon
püp