Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519820 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: The NBA thread (It's Over. Warriors win the title)
« Reply #18960 on: June 08, 2017, 08:58:09 AM »
When the game is on the line, kick it out to Korver brehs.  ::)
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #18961 on: June 08, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »
Can someone explain to a casual/non-fan why the NBA *isn't* the least competitive, most boring ass sports league given the past however many years?
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #18962 on: June 08, 2017, 07:16:08 PM »
Can someone explain to a casual/non-fan why the NBA *isn't* the least competitive, most boring ass sports league given the past however many years?

Seven different teams winning the championship in the past ten years makes it uncompetitive?

Bruh don't even. LeBron teams have represented the East the past 7 years, it's been either Spurs or Warriors out of the West the past 5. We here in 2017 and you trying to act like the last time the Lakers won a championship means anything.
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18963 on: June 08, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
There's more parity in the NFL. MLB and NHL playoffs are known for anything being able to happen in the post season. I think it's because NBA is five guys on the court, it's easier for the best players to influence more directly. Whereas in the NFL...Tom Brady doesn't play defense.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
not that it mattered against Atlanta
:neogaf

GOAT
[close]

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #18964 on: June 08, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
all the griping over parity this playoffs and, more broadly, the league being broken by durant's decision has always rang hollow to me. we get to watch an historic team play a beautiful brand of basketball, and that's good enough for me

I just wanna watch good basketball :yeshrug

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18965 on: June 08, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »
side note but...am I wrong in not seeing why ppl trashing Bron for passing to Korver? It was clearly the right play. Dude was wide open, vs Bron taking a shot over two defenders.

Well I "get" why people are hating (hating on LeBron, basically) but from a bball perspective.....he did the right thing...right?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #18966 on: June 09, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
Boo Hoo. Certain teams are dominant. As with anything if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Basketball is a sport setup for dominant play from great players.

There are things you could do to solve some of this. Getting rid of Bird signing rule. True Hard Caps etc. But then that would create a host of additional issues for people to bitch about. You think people whine when their star player leaves now? Wait until you get rid of bird rights.

If you want to blame anybody, blame our rings culture that creates the pressure on superstars to team up like its the Justice League so they don't have to get shit on all the time about how they can't win the big one!

The Warriors simply fell into an amazing loop hole at the perfect time when the cap exploded and they had an underpaid superstar to take advantage of it.

On the Lebron thing, of course he made the right play. It's simply the media setting up their next narrative they want to push for the upcoming year/5 years. That's the way hot takes work. You need something to mindlessly bullshit spew 24/7 on first take and sports radio.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:14:49 AM by Stoney Mason »

bluemax

« Reply #18967 on: June 09, 2017, 12:24:44 AM »
I just realized that if the Warriors sweep(which is looking like they probably will) they'll be the first team in history to go 16-0.

Also KD to Warriors is very different since the Warriors already had Klay, Draymond Green and probably the best shooter of all time in Steph, plus a good support team all around that went 73-9. They only lost to some historic ass shit LeBron barely pulled off last year at the finals. That team got Durant, having two of the top 3 players in the NBA on one squad with LeBron arguably sandwiched in between them. Sure, the Dubs lost a few role players from last year. but if you're going to get Kevin Durant instead then fuck it, go ahead.

LeBron has Love, who can be turned off, and Irving, who's fantastic but makes dumb mistakes. Who else is worth mentioning? Richard Jefferson is ancient, JR is not worth any sort of contract, and lol Shump.

They paid $7.8mm this year to Channing Frye and he has all of 11 minutes played in the finals.

The Cavs have mostly used 8 guys in the Finals

Kyrie
JR
Lebron
Love
Thompson

And the corpses of Deron Williams/Richard Jefferson/Iman Shumpert

I get that this isn't really being won/lost by the benches but that's not really a trio I feel like can give you minutes vs the Warriors starters.

There's more parity in the NFL. MLB and NHL playoffs are known for anything being able to happen in the post season. I think it's because NBA is five guys on the court, it's easier for the best players to influence more directly. Whereas in the NFL...Tom Brady doesn't play defense.
not that it mattered against Atlanta
:neogaf

GOAT
[close]

I disagree about the MLB thing to a degree. Just like how NBA teams shorten their rotations and use less of their bench the same is kinda generally true about the MLB post season. The Indians last year made the World Series partially by maximizing their top 3 relievers. NBA and MLB seasons are both really long and so the team with the best record at the end is often the one with the best depth/injury luck (as well as top talent) while the post season is about matchups and maximizing usage of your best talent.

The NFL is different because it is a best of 1 and things like West coast teams playing in the morning on the East coast don't happen.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:31:19 AM by bluemax »
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18968 on: June 09, 2017, 12:33:07 AM »
The thing is honestly I don't blame the Cavs. There was really nothing you could do here this season and just for loyalty sake, I like that they actually stuck with the crew from last year.

There will almost certainly be changes in the off-season for them. Pretty much everybody except Lebron and Kyrie can be dumped or put on the trading block but no matter what overhaul they make, its really hard to see anybody dealing with this Golden State team for the short term future. They are nuts. I mean historically nuts.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:40:02 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18969 on: June 09, 2017, 12:38:55 AM »
The East has been a complete shitshow almost every year since the early 2000s, minus a brief period from like 08-11, and I guess 04, since the Pacers were actually good that year in addition to Detroit. The West was actually pretty competitive before Durant went to GS. Houston, the Clips or OKC could conceivably have come out of the West in most years. They just didn't.

This year aside, the WC playoffs have been more competitive than you'd think just looking at the list of conference champions.

While the East has been historically weak for awhile now, the Cavs have still been the second best team in the league so at least for the finals it has worked out fine.

The league could of course get rid of dual conference seeding for playoffs and just slot the best 16 teams, in that order and the discussion would dissipate a great degree. Tradition is the only thing stopping them.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18970 on: June 09, 2017, 01:27:29 AM »
If you were a GM, how would you even go about reforming the Cavs to beat this Warriors team. Shit just seems impossible.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #18971 on: June 09, 2017, 02:01:45 AM »
If you were a GM, how would you even go about reforming the Cavs to beat this Warriors team. Shit just seems impossible.
love for gobert, who says no?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #18972 on: June 09, 2017, 02:26:22 AM »
'
mlb cause they play baseball

El Babua

« Reply #18973 on: June 09, 2017, 02:38:18 AM »
Silver did mention top 16 seeding being in the cards. Only question for me would be the ranking of division winners and travel/tv logistics for the playoffs.

Otherwise, would make things more interesting even if the final results will be the same for at least a little while.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18974 on: June 09, 2017, 04:39:02 AM »
Wait until GSW has to resign all of their guys in the next 2-3 seasons and their cap is going to explode.
It's this offseason. Curry, Durant, Iguodala, Livingston, Pachulia, etc. all are FA's. McCaw, Thompson and Green are the only ones who have played in the Finals and are signed past the Finals.

Curry will get the max, Durant will pull a LeBron and do the 1+1 just under max thing, that puts them at $109 million next year for just Curry, Durant, Green and Thompson (plus Jason Thompson's waived contract). The entire team this year was $102 million.

For comparison, Cleveland will pay LeBron, Love, Irving, Thompson, Smith, Frye, Shumpert and Jefferson $125 million next year. Portland's the sneaky contract team, they will pay Lillard, McCollum, Crabbe, Turner, Myers Leonard, Mo Harkless, Ezeli and Aminu a combined $120 million. And like half the team is signed through 2020. OKC will pay $90 million for Westbrook, Adams, Oladipo and Kanter. Even without Durant's contract their salaries already are logged as third for each of the next two years after Portland and Cleveland.

Cap expected go up to $102 million and luxury tax up to $122 million. Cavaliers are going to get whacked hard on the luxury tax because they'll be a repeat offender. Warriors just missed it in 2015.

edit: should add to be a "repeat offender" that gets hit with the extra penalties (starts at 2.5x each dollar) you have to be over the tax in three of the four prior years, Cavs will be three straight
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:04:49 AM by benjipwns »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #18975 on: June 09, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
I can understand being bored during blowouts in game 1 and 2, but game 3 was fucking awesome to watch.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #18976 on: June 09, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
'

Hunter S. Thompson once remarked that watching baseball was like watching two old Jews argue on a porch.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18977 on: June 09, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18978 on: June 09, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »
Going to a baseball game is fun. Good food. Shooting the shit with friends. Occasionally tuning into the game and enjoying it. It's like a picnic in an arena.

Watching baseball on TV is basically the harshest prison sentence you can give someone.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #18979 on: June 09, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
I guess watching two bottom feeder teams, like the Braves and the Mets,

:ufup

I'm a huge baseball fan. And even I hate watching baseball on tv. Fun going to a game, boring on tv.

Watching good NBA teams play each other is fun.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18980 on: June 09, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
Baseball is prob one of the best live sports, at the park. Especially if your team has a nice one. But watching it on TV...noooope

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #18981 on: June 09, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »
Yes, at the park, drunk in the sun for 3 hours shooting the shit with friends/family is a nice time. But really you can get the same experience in an actual park.

I can't get dippin dots in the park. That's the ice cream of the FUTURE. I need to go to an overpriced ballpark for that, sir.
yar

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18982 on: June 09, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »
'

(Image removed from quote.)

Hunter S. Thompson once remarked that watching baseball was like watching two old Jews argue on a porch.
I've been to more than a few interesting seders, but I've fallen asleep at every baseball game I've watched

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18983 on: June 09, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
lol@ these fouls jesus

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18984 on: June 09, 2017, 10:00:01 PM »
all i want is for cavs to just win one
püp

bluemax

« Reply #18985 on: June 09, 2017, 10:51:14 PM »
Can the Warriors blow it two years in a row?
NO

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18986 on: June 09, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »
What the fuck is going on right now

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18987 on: June 09, 2017, 11:05:01 PM »
Did they just retroactively transfer Draymond's first tech to Kerr? what the fuck lmao

FStop7

« Reply #18988 on: June 09, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »
RIGGED!

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18989 on: June 09, 2017, 11:07:24 PM »
WOW THEY DID WHAT THE FUCK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18990 on: June 09, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
lol wtf

cavs are losing this game btw
püp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18991 on: June 09, 2017, 11:22:53 PM »
Lol even the commentators are completely baffled by the reffing. ugh

FStop7

« Reply #18992 on: June 09, 2017, 11:46:09 PM »
Draymond getting a triple double in technicals tonight.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #18993 on: June 09, 2017, 11:56:22 PM »
 :rejoice

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18994 on: June 10, 2017, 12:02:38 AM »
Well that was certainly something else

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18995 on: June 10, 2017, 12:04:22 AM »
yay

I got my wish.  now stephen andromedon smith can shut the fuck up about lebron
püp

El Babua

« Reply #18996 on: June 10, 2017, 12:08:13 AM »
Your jinx titles have done well the last year Stoney.

Just mentioning them cause I want the Warriors to win.  :maf

If it goes to a game 6, Cavs in 7. Team full of chockers smh.
[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18997 on: June 10, 2017, 12:16:13 AM »
I can see Cavs winning the next game, but I do NOT see them winning again at home.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18998 on: June 10, 2017, 12:17:29 AM »
Good on the Cavs for avoiding the sweep.

It doesn't change anything but I respect the effort.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #18999 on: June 10, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »
Not getting my hopes up but if the Cavs win game 5  :whew
Unless Durant and the Warriors collectively choke while up 3-1 again, that is.
It's not totally crazy, both Durant and Curry separately choked away 3-1 leads last year after all :teehee
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:34:28 AM by Let's Cyber »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #19000 on: June 10, 2017, 12:36:55 AM »
Credit to Durant for showing up, dude has been amazing this series. I would have figured he would be the one to fade, not Curry.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #19001 on: June 10, 2017, 12:53:07 AM »
Eh if there's a game 6 I think it's gonna be a seven series. Warriors failed their secondary objective of humiliating the Cavs tonight and if he can survive LeBron will be playing for blood on home turf.

If it's the end, I guess that's fine. Warriors deserve it, I just haven't been able to care that much about any game they play in since the stakes are so low for them. I don't know if I'll ever be able to divorce my hatred of Clay Bennet and Howard Shultz from KD though, as talented as he is

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #19002 on: June 10, 2017, 01:11:45 AM »
No way warriors get reverse swept

That TT contract is the real albatross

FStop7

« Reply #19003 on: June 10, 2017, 03:12:49 AM »
Thing is the Cavs didn't look like they were pushing themselves to exhaustion, unlike games 1 and 2.  I still don't believe they can keep this up for 3 more games.  Golden State's gonns adjust and the Cavs have to stay flawless.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19004 on: June 10, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »
teamwork makes the dream work
©@©™

El Babua

« Reply #19005 on: June 10, 2017, 08:02:19 PM »
Also, the last two games really better make you appreciate Lebron.

Dude's just too good and the Cavs simply don't work without him on the floor. Without KD, I'd still give the Warriors a 50/50 chance this series.

FStop7

« Reply #19006 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »
Game 5 officiating sponsored by Oracle.

benjipwns

« Reply #19007 on: June 12, 2017, 10:58:47 PM »
at this point i only care about the Cavs somehow winning this game and making it six because i need one more game in the daily picker to win extra VC in 2K17 :doge

:picard
[close]

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #19008 on: June 12, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
this durant guy is pretty good
dur

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19009 on: June 12, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »
Game is over.  Warriors are real fucking good. DURANT IS A FUCKING BITCH THOUGH.

püp

benjipwns

« Reply #19010 on: June 12, 2017, 11:24:35 PM »
time to start the LeBron to Clippers rumors

though personally i'm going to be anonymous source pushing the LeBron and Paul to Spurs rumors

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19011 on: June 12, 2017, 11:44:43 PM »
So, even tho the Cavs took 1 game, does anyone else feel like a healthy Spurs team might be the only thing that would give the Warriors any actual trouble?
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19012 on: June 13, 2017, 01:13:50 AM »
#CelticsWouldHaveWon

No, they wouldn't have.  Fuck off with this
püp

bluemax

« Reply #19013 on: June 13, 2017, 01:21:53 AM »
#CelticsWouldHaveWon

Maybe the Celtics should have tried not getting blow the fuck out multiple times by the Cavs.
NO

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19014 on: June 13, 2017, 01:27:08 AM »
Remember when the Lakers mattered?  Neither do I.
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #19015 on: June 13, 2017, 01:31:21 AM »
Celtics should have signed Bernie

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19016 on: June 14, 2017, 09:17:41 AM »

realized that the Celtics matched up so much better with the Warriors

:girlaff

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19017 on: June 14, 2017, 09:37:22 AM »
Since we're doing hot takes...

The Bron era is over. Unless Durant loses a knee it's safe to say Bron won't win another title.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19018 on: June 14, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
It's too bad Cleveland is overpaying other Rich Paul clients to keep Bron/Paul happy instead of spending that money on things that could actually help them win

:hitler
yar

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #19019 on: June 14, 2017, 11:20:37 AM »
Since we're doing hot takes...

The Bron era is over. Unless Durant loses a knee it's safe to say Bron won't win another title.

If he stays in cleveland, at least