Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082570 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Leadbelly

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #6601 on: April 17, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »
did you just google "india poor coronavirus" :doge

Nintex why would you like this. :snoop

Beast Mode activation has an intermittent short circuit caused by faulty wires.

oh... that was in response to my post. And yeah obviously I googled that article. I had seen a BBC article previously which is why I googled India specifically though.

I have actually read a lot of shit about coronavirus that informs my opinion. Nothing better to do right now. So today for instance, I was reading this article from professor John Ioannidis. Basically talking about how unreliable the data is for Covid-19, which is why we need to get large-scale testing under way to see exactly what we are dealing with.

A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data

The data collected so far on how many people are infected and how the epidemic is evolving are utterly unreliable. Given the limited testing to date, some deaths and probably the vast majority of infections due to SARS-CoV-2 are being missed. We don’t know if we are failing to capture infections by a factor of three or 300. Three months after the outbreak emerged, most countries, including the U.S., lack the ability to test a large number of people and no countries have reliable data on the prevalence of the virus in a representative random sample of the general population.

This evidence fiasco creates tremendous uncertainty about the risk of dying from Covid-19. Reported case fatality rates, like the official 3.4% rate from the World Health Organization, cause horror — and are meaningless. Patients who have been tested for SARS-CoV-2 are disproportionately those with severe symptoms and bad outcomes. As most health systems have limited testing capacity, selection bias may even worsen in the near future.

The one situation where an entire, closed population was tested was the Diamond Princess cruise ship and its quarantine passengers. The case fatality rate there was 1.0%, but this was a largely elderly population, in which the death rate from Covid-19 is much higher.

Projecting the Diamond Princess mortality rate onto the age structure of the U.S. population, the death rate among people infected with Covid-19 would be 0.125%. But since this estimate is based on extremely thin data — there were just seven deaths among the 700 infected passengers and crew — the real death rate could stretch from five times lower (0.025%) to five times higher (0.625%). It is also possible that some of the passengers who were infected might die later, and that tourists may have different frequencies of chronic diseases — a risk factor for worse outcomes with SARS-CoV-2 infection — than the general population. Adding these extra sources of uncertainty, reasonable estimates for the case fatality ratio in the general U.S. population vary from 0.05% to 1%.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:03:44 PM by Leadbelly »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6602 on: April 17, 2020, 01:06:22 PM »
Postman just rung my buzzer to tell me he'll be back in 15 mins and will ring my buzzer again.  I don't know what is going on in the world anymore. 

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6603 on: April 17, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »
Honestly, I think it's somewhat safe to open up.

We know where the big outbreaks are/were and we know how to mitigate the effects (social distancing, masks, no large meetings, shield the elderly).
It should be safe enough for functioning adults to go to work that can't work from home. Especially if you mostly work with the same people and travel by car.

Schools are an entirely different story. Kids are fucking stupid, so they will just run about infecting everyone.

I don't see how going back to work with precautions in place is any different from people doing their weekly shopping.

We don't yet have all the data, which is true, but we also don't have a lot of unexplained deaths.
So far it all fits the same pattern which we can adapt to.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6604 on: April 17, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
dutch directness :rejoice
(ice)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6605 on: April 17, 2020, 01:11:26 PM »
If nintex was admin Creepy Stalker would still be here

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6606 on: April 17, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »
We never went to the phase to close down all businesses. We kept construction and a few other things going.

We've managed to keep it within our ICU limits and no new big outbreaks have occurred.
The deaths that keep rising are those dramatic stories of the elderly in care homes, who are far away from this somewhat 'open' society.

There is for example no known massacre among car mechanics or truck drivers while most car dealerships and transport companies in The Netherlands remained open.
Plus we only do the social distancing and very few people wear masks/gloves etc. . So if you have a country that pushes for masks in public places your results are probably even better.
🤴

jorma

« Reply #6607 on: April 17, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »
Sweden never closed primary schools and we have better stats than denmark when it comes to that age group. Both countries have 0 deaths in the <19 age brackets though.

Keeping the schools open was probably the least controversial thing we did, and failing to protect the homes for the elderly the worst mistake.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6608 on: April 17, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »
If nintex was admin Creepy Stalker would still be here
but I am still he... oh you meant the other guy  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6609 on: April 17, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »
The UK ran out of *checks notes* gowns

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1251193050946297859
🤴

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:55:40 PM by thisismyusername »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6612 on: April 17, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »

:doge
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6613 on: April 17, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #6615 on: April 17, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »
lol the UK is fucked, they're now saying that one time use PPE can be used multiple times.....

My mum who is a front line nurse had Dominic Raab (acting PM) at work today

alas she was out, doing rounds in care homes but if she'd known he was coming in, she'd had told him to get rid of the health secretary as he's useless.

It's utter chaos, they need 150k to survive a weekend, yet there is only 50k PPE gowns to go around.

Nurses get paid shit here, and now it's like lol, just go to work with no protective gear. Fuck off.

Hancock is a fucking liar, and they clearly didn't prepare shit. We have factories waiting on dimensions so they can make them, but they've heard fuck all for over a month.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6616 on: April 17, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
I have actually read a lot of shit about coronavirus that informs my opinion. Nothing better to do right now. So today for instance, I was reading this article from professor John Ioannidis. Basically talking about how unreliable the data is for Covid-19, which is why we need to get large-scale testing under way to see exactly what we are dealing with.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

If you've read a lot about COVID19, maybe share a deeper cut than an article that Elon Musk tweeted out a month ago?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6617 on: April 17, 2020, 03:28:34 PM »
Hope your mom stays safe.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6618 on: April 17, 2020, 03:30:14 PM »
lol the UK is fucked, they're now saying that one time use PPE can be used multiple times.....

My mum who is a front line nurse had Dominic Raab (acting PM) at work today

alas she was out, doing rounds in care homes but if she'd known he was coming in, she'd had told him to get rid of the health secretary as he's useless.

It's utter chaos, they need 150k to survive a weekend, yet there is only 50k PPE gowns to go around.

Nurses get paid shit here, and now it's like lol, just go to work with no protective gear. Fuck off.

Hancock is a fucking liar, and they clearly didn't prepare shit. We have factories waiting on dimensions so they can make them, but they've heard fuck all for over a month.
It seems that the politicians across Europe didn't realize that they haven't yet shipped all the production to China.

A Dutch company had a production line for construction PPE's which could quite easily be converted to produce N95 masks and other healthcare items (he had already supplied such things in the past).
But the owner never got called back by the department of health so instead he had to close his business due to a lack of orders.

Plenty of stories like these all across Europe. Companies want to help out with the effort but either can't get passed certain regulations or can't get in touch with anyone who can arrange orders.
And if orders are arranged they sit idle waiting for instructions of specifications that never arrive.
🤴

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #6620 on: April 17, 2020, 03:36:36 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/south-koreas-new-coronavirus-twist-recovered-patients-test-positive-again-11587145248

Fucking hell.

Yeah, seems like the coronavirus can basically lower itself to the point where a person can test negative within a 48 hour period and then flare up again. I don't think people are being re-infected, but I hope not.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:46:12 PM by Tripon »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6622 on: April 17, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »
Not really - it seems to be pretty rare or we would have noticed it before (and would be confirmed instead of speculated) - and we seem to be moving towards mass production within-an-hour tests which means we will be track 'recovered' cases much more closely and for longer periods into recovery. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6623 on: April 17, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »
What is up with the US mortality rate

Cases which had an outcome:
59,147 (62%)
Recovered / Discharged

36,576 (38%)
Deaths

Ghoul

« Reply #6624 on: April 17, 2020, 04:11:27 PM »

59,147 (62%)
Recovered / Discharged

36,576 (38%)
Deaths

And that's just hospital deaths

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6625 on: April 17, 2020, 04:16:28 PM »

59,147 (62%)
Recovered / Discharged

36,576 (38%)
Deaths

And that's just hospital deaths
I'm disappointed at how poorly you've managed your death

🤴

Pennywise

« Reply #6626 on: April 17, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »

59,147 (62%)
Recovered / Discharged

36,576 (38%)
Deaths

Hard to say without the affected age groups, but my guess would be obesity or just alot of old folks that got hit.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6628 on: April 17, 2020, 04:51:05 PM »

Coffee Dog

« Reply #6629 on: April 17, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
My governor wants us to begin the reopening process starting May 1st. My state is heroically volunteering to be one of the republican petri dishes  :salute

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6630 on: April 17, 2020, 05:11:54 PM »
Do mormons even shake hands? You'll be fine.
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Coffee Dog

« Reply #6632 on: April 17, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »

I ordered groceries the other day and the maskless, gloveless delivery person even offered to help move everything inside. They're gonna literally kill me with kindness.  :lol

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6633 on: April 17, 2020, 05:24:32 PM »

59,147 (62%)
Recovered / Discharged

36,576 (38%)
Deaths
Partly under-testing, so there are a lot of infected people without severe symptoms (who don't die) not getting tested?

Ratio of tests to cases and CFR in brackets of the top 13 tested countries

France - 3:1 (13%)
UK - 4:1 (13%)
Spain - 4:1 (10%)
US - 5:1 (5%)
Italy - 7:1 (13%)
Turkey 7:1 (2%)
Germany - 12:1 (3%)
Canada - 16:1 (4%)
India - 24:1 (3%)
South Korea - 51:1 (2%)
Russia - 54:1 (1%)
Australia - 60:1 (1%)
UAE 122:1 (0.5%)

(did the math quickly myself)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6634 on: April 17, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »
The mail man just told me to buzz open the front door and threw my stuff into the building.  That hero is keeping me safe. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:53:09 PM by Madrun Badrun »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6635 on: April 17, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
You remember that game you played as a kid where you’d say Sarah has cooties and then everyone would run away? That’s how every day feels.

thisismyusername

« Reply #6636 on: April 17, 2020, 05:56:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1251211340796084225

DUVALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL about to open back up (and get infected hardcore)

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6638 on: April 17, 2020, 06:28:46 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6640 on: April 17, 2020, 07:17:05 PM »
wrong thread

There is only One Thread and all the names we have for other threads are just manifestations of the One.

bluemax

« Reply #6641 on: April 17, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »

59,147 (62%)
Recovered / Discharged

36,576 (38%)
Deaths

Hard to say without the affected age groups, but my guess would be obesity or just alot of old folks that got hit.

The worst hit area in Los Angeles was a massive outbreak at a nursing home in Little Armenia. There's a nursing home within walking distance of my apartment and I wonder what percent of the cases in my neighborhood happened there.
NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6642 on: April 17, 2020, 07:24:28 PM »
armenian genocide II  :-\

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6643 on: April 17, 2020, 07:26:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1250975504401760256

Looks Oprah has lost control of her minions.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6644 on: April 17, 2020, 07:34:19 PM »
Like...what the fuck are these wealthy TV doctors giving a shit about the economy being shut down? This shit isn't impacting Dr. Phil in the least.
They've cut deals with big pharma so more sick people make them wealthier?

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1250986608842674177

Much support for healthcare workers  :lol
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:43:44 PM by Nintex »
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6645 on: April 17, 2020, 08:12:14 PM »
he's no jill biden  :lol

shosta

« Reply #6646 on: April 17, 2020, 08:32:48 PM »
checked worldometers and my stomach dropped out of my asshole when I saw +2500
每天生气

shosta

每天生气

Leadbelly

bluemax

« Reply #6650 on: April 17, 2020, 10:06:41 PM »

All the time.
NO

Tripon

« Reply #6651 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1251337663157862400

----

Paula Doyle, 62, of Costa Mesa was one of the first to arrive.

She came out because she felt the shutdown was aiding in the widespread panic of the pandemic, she said.

“I just want to go back to normal,” Doyle said of the stay at home orders. “I don’t think there’s a reason for this.”

The rally proved peaceful, with officers wearing masks largely watching from the sidelines.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2020/04/17/dozens-of-protesters-gather-in-huntington-beach-in-defiance-of-stay-at-home-orders/?utm_medium=social&utm_content=tw-DailyBreezeNews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=socialflow
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:34:53 PM by Tripon »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6652 on: April 17, 2020, 10:34:37 PM »
Four or five days later, Amyiah fell ill and eventually had trouble breathing. She was taken to hospitals in Portage and Madison over the next week. She tested negative for coronavirus on March 25, but doctors told her she likely had the illness but had been tested too late to get a positive result, according to the lawsuit.

She posted three messages on Instagram about her situation — one saying she wouldn't be back for a while because she had coronavirus, one saying she might have to stay in the emergency room and one with her wearing an oxygen mask.

"I am still on breathing treatment but have beaten the coronavirus. Stay home and be safe," she wrote in the last post.

On March 27, Sgt. Cameron Klump visited the girl's home and told her father, Richard Cohoon, that Sheriff Joseph Konrath told him to get the latest Instagram post deleted or “start taking people to jail,” according to the lawsuit. Klump said the family could be cited for disorderly conduct as well.

Klump told Cohoon the sheriff wanted the post removed because there were no confirmed coronavirus cases in the county at the time. He said he was acting in part on a complaint from school authorities, according to the lawsuit.
Earlier on the day of the sergeant's visit, Westfield schools District Administrator Bob Meicher sent an update to parents saying there was “no truth” to a rumor that a student had contracted coronavirus during the band trip, according to the lawsuit.

“This was a foolish means to get attention and the source of the rumor has been addressed,” he told the parents. “This rumor had caught the attention of our Public Health Department and she was involved in putting a stop to this nonsense. In times like this, the last thing we need out there is misinformation.”
:cop

Tripon

« Reply #6653 on: April 17, 2020, 10:47:59 PM »
MEXICO CITY —  Esther García was walking toward a bus stop after completing her shift when a young man approached her. Then he tossed a plastic bag filled with liquid at her.
The bag struck the left side of her head, splashing her face with its caustic contents — a mixture of water and bleach. The attacker ran off as Garcia felt burning in her eye and her vision went blurry.

“I was filled with fear,” she recalled. “I started to cry. I didn’t understand what was going on.”

This wasn’t a revenge attack, a crime of passion or some kind of message from Mexican organized crime.

García is a nurse at a public clinic outside Mexico City.

Health workers, especially nurses, have been targeted across the country in recent weeks by assailants accusing them of spreading coronavirus, according to health professionals and authorities.

Apart from being sprayed with bleach, they have faced verbal assaults, been denied seats in public transport and been blocked from entering their own communities.

“You are spreading COVID!” is a common slur.

She is a divorced single mother of two daughters, age 19 and 17, whom she helps support on her nurse’s salary of about $700 a month. Like many fellow health workers, she cannot afford to leave her job.

“I don’t even want to think about what would have happened if they had a gun or some other weapon, instead of just bleach” García said. “I feel very sad. … In this profession one recognizes that you run the risk of contagion of some illness. But I have never before felt fear that I would be attacked because I was a nurse. Never before.”
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-04-17/as-coronavirus-spreads-medical-workers-in-mexico-fear-harassment-intimidation

-----

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1251340980671975430
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:00:04 PM by Tripon »

bluemax

« Reply #6654 on: April 17, 2020, 11:47:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/frankshyong/status/1251212903715229696

So many entertainment industry jobs on hold, and sports as well, and other stuff of course.
NO

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6655 on: April 18, 2020, 02:19:10 AM »
another day and americans still being the worst :pacspit

thisismyusername

« Reply #6656 on: April 18, 2020, 02:26:11 AM »
I want to know the stats for LA: Is it 50% under 40 like the national stats (IIRC) says is the case nation-wide, because that'd be really funny in a sad way.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6657 on: April 18, 2020, 06:09:52 AM »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:05:45 AM by Nintex »
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6658 on: April 18, 2020, 07:32:13 AM »
checked worldometers and my stomach dropped out of my asshole when I saw +2500

Did NYS change something in their yesterday deaths report or is it "deaths in hospitals" spiking by their own ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:07:45 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις