Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082578 times)

Tasty

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #7500 on: May 04, 2020, 05:22:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/Tylerjoelb/status/1257330698110873601

That's another level of Judeo-Christian stupid I didn't know existed, and I'm fairly familiar with the subject.

Tasty

« Reply #7501 on: May 04, 2020, 05:22:41 PM »
How do so many fucking Christians miss the "render to Caeser what is Caeser's" bit?

You're not supposed to care so much about earthly politics anyways, you fucks.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7502 on: May 04, 2020, 05:22:57 PM »
I thought it was seen mostly in the dong. 

Tasty

« Reply #7503 on: May 04, 2020, 05:25:38 PM »
Can we get some counter-protests with this on all the signs?

"Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."
- Romans 13:1

Every gov't is God-established and you gotta obey 'em. Even ones run by liberals. :neogaf :trumps

Occam

« Reply #7504 on: May 04, 2020, 05:33:33 PM »
The world came together for a virtual vaccine summit. The U.S. was conspicuously absent.

LONDON — World leaders came together in a virtual summit Monday to pledge billions of dollars to quickly develop vaccines and drugs to fight the coronavirus.

Missing from the roster was the Trump administration, which declined to participate, but highlighted from Washington what one official called its “whole-of-America” efforts in the United States and its generosity to global health efforts.

The online conference, led by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and a half-dozen countries, was set to raise $8.2 billion from governments, philanthropies and the private sector to fund research and mass-produce drugs, vaccines and testing kits to combat the virus that has killed more than 250,000 people worldwide.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/the-world-comes-together-for-a-virtual-vaccine-summit-the-us-is-conspicuously-absent/2020/05/04/ac5b6754-8a5c-11ea-80df-d24b35a568ae_story.html

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7505 on: May 04, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/Scientists4EU/status/1256905753077694464
It may shock the rest of the world, but Canada is closer to the former group than the latter:

edit: though things are improving in most of Canada (not Quebec).

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7506 on: May 04, 2020, 05:38:32 PM »
How do so many fucking Christians miss the "render to Caeser what is Caeser's" bit?

You're not supposed to care so much about earthly politics anyways, you fucks.

Clearly, the Democrats need nominate someone named Caesar.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7509 on: May 04, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/economics/status/1257405602223067144
Median forecast at 4.3 million lost jobs in April (house prices in Toronto were flat because why not) This follows a record 1-million decline in March.

By comparison, the US is expected to show a loss of 22 million in April (equivalent would be 40 million).

Tripon

« Reply #7510 on: May 04, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1257357641950650369

---

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1257411530716590080

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/iibr-completes-development-phase-of-covid-19-vaccine-626913

The Israel Institute for Biological Research (IIBR) has completed the development phase of COVID-19 antibody or passive vaccine, according to a statement by the Defense Ministry.
Defense Minister Naftali Bennett visited the Ness Ziona-based lab on Monday and was briefed by the research team, who revealed a breakthrough antibody that attacks the virus and neutralizes it in the body.
IIBR is now working to patent its antibody and secure a contract for its commercial development. All legal procedures will be coordinated with the Defense Ministry.
“I am proud of the Biological Institute staff, who have made a major breakthrough,” Bennett said Monday. “The Jewish creativity and ingenuity brought about this amazing achievement.”

Doesn't sound like any human testing yet.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:46:42 PM by Tripon »

Tasty

« Reply #7511 on: May 04, 2020, 07:53:52 PM »
Oh I'm sure an Israel-developed vaccine won't be controversial or be especially prone to conspiracy theories at all. :(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tripon

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7514 on: May 04, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »
China claims to have, in effect, no new deaths but it took them a month or so to go from their plateau of 100+ fatalities a day to 0.
Italy cut fatalities 66% between their peak and now (a month as well). Spain too.

Negligible death counts in the US by May 15th sounds... Incredibly optimistic.

ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7515 on: May 04, 2020, 08:43:51 PM »
can the aliens show up already fuck

Tripon

« Reply #7516 on: May 04, 2020, 08:44:08 PM »
AJ Styles is back on RAW.... in a DQ commercial.  :doge

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7517 on: May 04, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »
They're socially distancing, sorry.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7518 on: May 04, 2020, 08:58:10 PM »

This is like a George Lucas sequel to War of the Worlds where the bacteria that kills the aliens turns out to but COVID-18 but it mutated in them and became COVID-19. This shit is easy Tasty lets take cover hollywood.

bluemax

« Reply #7519 on: May 04, 2020, 09:11:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/mayorofla/status/1257466080655822849

I think last Monday was 3% but the rest of the week was around 5%. I know Orange County shot up after the open beaches. Testing capacity continues to grow in LA though. Speaking of, a friend of mine did antibody testing and she has the antibodies, she says she intends to continue to be super safe, just with slightly less paranoia. My friends work was supposed to move offices this week. They now aren’t relocating until September at the earliest. The company that was supposed to take over their space backed out as well. I am curious to see what this does to office rentals and open office plans.

China claims to have, in effect, no new deaths but it took them a month or so to go from their plateau of 100+ fatalities a day to 0.
Italy cut fatalities 66% between their peak and now (a month as well). Spain too.

Negligible death counts in the US by May 15th sounds... Incredibly optimistic.

Spain just started letting people go more than 1 kilometer from their homes and just ended their nightly police enforced curfews. I think I saw New Zealand had no deaths/new cases. They also locked down more strictly and earlier.
NO

Tasty

« Reply #7520 on: May 04, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »
Lmao we truly live in a society where the most powerful leader in the world is a fucking moron who makes shit up and then people in his orbit fill in official documents with whatever dumbshit Trump said so they can grift upwards and make dear leader happy with them, except unlike most cases of this, it's out in the open and everyone can see it happening in real time and no one seems to really care all that much

It's depressing.

Tasty

« Reply #7521 on: May 04, 2020, 09:12:07 PM »

This is like a George Lucas sequel to War of the Worlds where the bacteria that kills the aliens turns out to but COVID-18 but it mutated in them and became COVID-19. This shit is easy Tasty lets take cover hollywood.

:ohhh Might be something there...

benjipwns

« Reply #7522 on: May 04, 2020, 09:24:48 PM »
Antibodies just means you personally kill the virus. People transmit versions of the flu or hell, the common cold, all the time while being personally relatively immune. That's why you're still supposed to get vaccinated for whooping cough or whatever even though 98% of everybody else is too. The fact that you kill the viruses decreases the time you can transmit it to anyone else, doesn't mean you can't.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7523 on: May 04, 2020, 09:25:08 PM »
stay prayed up

bluemax

« Reply #7524 on: May 04, 2020, 09:27:34 PM »
I wish I thought that some great scientific awakening is going to come from this, but people are just flipping out because their routines are disrupted. If a scientist comes along that says "Don't do anything different, the other scientists are liberal liars" that would be more than enough for most people to shut your brain down and go back to making your own assumptions. Being an aware person requires self maintenance, it's too big an ask.

Considering people are calling this a hoax and being anti Bill Gates, I don’t see any enlightenment forthcoming.

I'm pretty sure people with antibodies can still spread the virus via physical transmission from clothes/items/etc and am fully expecting there to be an explosion once antibody testing becomes widespread when people think they're completely safe since they have antibodies and stop taking safety precautions

Right, my friend doesn’t think she’s immune or anything.
NO

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7525 on: May 04, 2020, 09:43:42 PM »
There will be no scientific awakening. But there sure as shit will be an increased amount of employers requiring yearly flu shots and corona-virus shots. Which will be a good thing. Some jobs still don't require flu shots but at this point...there is no excuse for that. Given the potential risks.

Tasty

« Reply #7526 on: May 04, 2020, 09:46:40 PM »
COVID I understand but how effective is the flu shot?

Pennywise

« Reply #7527 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1257441316503511041

Welp.
I'm still curious how they're gonna achieve opening schools when the majority of schools already don't have enough teachers or space for smaller classes. Not even mentioning those teachers that are part of the risk group.
Even when you split it and use a staggered day for different classes.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7528 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:36 PM »
I’m hoping as people return back to work and are forced to mask up or take other precautions these things bleed over into their everyday life

It was pretty depressing that when I went to Lowe’s on Sunday, I’d say about 10 percent of the customers had masks on. Most of those people were “at risk” types of people, so they were doing it for their own sakes rather than the sakes of others. I saw maybe 8 other people (mostly couples) that were under 40 and had masks on.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7529 on: May 04, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »
There will be no scientific awakening. But there sure as shit will be an increased amount of employers requiring yearly flu shots and corona-virus shots. Which will be a good thing. Some jobs still don't require flu shots but at this point...there is no excuse for that. Given the potential risks.

I dunno about flu-shots. But a change in policy/workplace is iffy, I feel. I can see the merits and certainly WANT jobs to stop treating sick-days as vacation days (use 3 and then use PTO forever), but I can't see them not going back to "business as usual" beyond "get your fucking COVID shot lol" to ensure money/profits over people.

But I'm cynical. Just like I think there is no GREAT AWAKENING in regards to science like REEEEtious seems to think there will be (but the facts back me up there with historical evidence and books saying the Republicans [and Demoncrats, in a way] shut down scientific info for policies/feelings). So take me with a grain of salt.

I’m hoping as people return back to work and are forced to mask up or take other precautions these things bleed over into their everyday life

It was pretty depressing that when I went to Lowe’s on Sunday, I’d say about 10 percent of the customers had masks on. Most of those people were “at risk” types of people, so they were doing it for their own sakes rather than the sakes of others. I saw maybe 8 other people (mostly couples) that were under 40 and had masks on.

I don't own a mask, and given mask problems right now... :yeshrug I only went out today to deposit the Trump bucks but I had to stop by about 2 stores and given the county is low in cases, I wasn't too worried but there wasn't anyone beyond like 2-3 employees and about 1-3 others wearing masks (including someone I was riding with).

Apparently my job is to reopen on Monday and they will have PPE's ready, but I'm dubious on that given they were scrambling for supplies when the shutdown was first starting.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7530 on: May 04, 2020, 10:39:33 PM »
So like, people freaking out about proposals of freezing rent and mortgages because “but the landlords and banks!!” has me thinking, “No one should own a home they don’t live in.” What stage am I now?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7531 on: May 04, 2020, 10:39:56 PM »
I ordered a neck gaiter through Amazon and got it in about 5-6 days, It’s perfect for my needs and is real easy to slip on and off as needed. Lightweight enough to where it will be great for summer. I hate traditional around the ear face masks. Awkward to take on and off and not comfortable when it gets hot.

https://www.amazon.com/neck-gaiter/s?k=neck+gaiter

Tripon

« Reply #7532 on: May 04, 2020, 10:44:47 PM »
People need multiple masks in order to rotate them. The cloth masks are fine enough for people. My sis was able to give me a PM 2.5 mask that I have been reusing, and I paid for some expensive disposable face masks. (50 pc for $38.99) on Amazon. And I have a couple of other Cloth Masks I haven't broken out yet. I've been making my own stockpile since I have to go back to work eventually at school, and I'm pretty sure the school hasn't ordered enough masks.

benjipwns

« Reply #7533 on: May 04, 2020, 10:47:31 PM »
OUYZY Face Scarf Cover Mask - Sun Dust Bandanas for Fishing Motorcycling
seems you can only use this one for fishing and motorcycling

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7534 on: May 04, 2020, 11:01:32 PM »
I ordered a neck gaiter through Amazon and got it in about 5-6 days, It’s perfect for my needs and is real easy to slip on and off as needed. Lightweight enough to where it will be great for summer. I hate traditional around the ear face masks. Awkward to take on and off and not comfortable when it gets hot.

https://www.amazon.com/neck-gaiter/s?k=neck+gaiter
forgot I still have a couple army gaiters  :doge
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:03:54 AM by filler »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7535 on: May 04, 2020, 11:52:12 PM »
So like, people freaking out about proposals of freezing rent and mortgages because “but the landlords and banks!!” has me thinking, “No one should own a home they don’t live in.” What stage am I now?

soon to be a comrade :cop

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Pennywise

« Reply #7537 on: May 05, 2020, 12:32:33 AM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:37:52 AM by Pennywise »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7538 on: May 05, 2020, 12:43:22 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #7539 on: May 05, 2020, 12:52:38 AM »
I'm glad the white chick with dreadlocks was front and center so I didn't have to look around the frame for her.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7541 on: May 05, 2020, 03:53:07 AM »
I saw a bundle of dudes playing basketball at the church court I use sometimes. Missed opportunity to have yelled "social distance!" then gone around the block and yelled "illegal defense!"

Were any of them calling each other king?
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7542 on: May 05, 2020, 05:54:52 AM »
UK racing to the top European spot  :corona_mj
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7543 on: May 05, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52539905?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5eb11ae3c68e4706631e48e7%26France%27s%20first%20known%20case%20%27was%20in%20December%27%262020-05-05T08%3A17%3A14.577Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:fa3842c6-575c-40fc-8cd0-10b3cbfb959c&pinned_post_asset_id=5eb11ae3c68e4706631e48e7&pinned_post_type=share

A patient diagnosed with pneumonia near Paris on 27 December actually had the coronavirus, his doctor has said.

Dr Yves Cohen told French media a swab taken at the time was recently tested, and came back positive for Covid-19.

The patient, who has since fully recovered, said he had no idea where he caught the virus as he had not been to any infected areas.

The claim means the virus may have arrived in France almost a month earlier than previously thought.

Dr Cohen pointed out that the patient's wife worked at a supermarket near Charles de Gaulle airport, meaning she could have come into contact with people who had recently arrived from China.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7544 on: May 05, 2020, 11:20:17 AM »
Maybe next time there is a pandemic we can do a total lockdown as it breaka out and not wait so long.

Nip that shit in the bud.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7545 on: May 05, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »
UK racing to the top European spot  :corona_mj

Good thing they have all those trade deals in place to fall back on once this is over.

Occam

« Reply #7546 on: May 05, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »
How very weird. Why didn't those two infect everyone else then?

Tripon

« Reply #7547 on: May 05, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »
The news that this may have been out there already is making me wonder again about my dad and his weird cough that he came back with after visiting Cambodia with a layover in Shanghai both ways.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7548 on: May 05, 2020, 01:01:21 PM »
How very weird. Why didn't those two infect everyone else then?

If they had swabs to be retroactively tested a second time it means they went to a doctor. They maybe got sick leave and it might have cut off a lot of social interactions where they might have infected people. Purely speculating here.

Who knows how many people had it then but it probably didn't hit yet a critical mass of simultaneous cases overwhelming healthcare.
ὕβρις

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7550 on: May 05, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »
Could explain China's numbers better.

Tripon

« Reply #7551 on: May 05, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
Makes me wonder what the asymptomatic  numbers are for other viruses like the common cold, flu, etc. It is a normal range for potentially 20% of carriers of viruses that help cause the common cold to be asymptomatic, etc.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7553 on: May 05, 2020, 03:45:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1257757265274306561

Time to reopen boys, everything's fine now.
 :trumps
🤴

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #7555 on: May 05, 2020, 04:13:17 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #7556 on: May 05, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »
Quarter of a million dead. :(

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7557 on: May 05, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »
There's a flare up of kids exhibiting symptoms of the Kawasaki disease in France, NYC and I guess elsewhere in Europe. Assumed to be linked somehow to the Coronavirus though it's unclear how at the moment. It's something modern medecine can manage fairly well provided it's taken in charge.

:fbm
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #7558 on: May 05, 2020, 04:44:34 PM »
Even CA is re-opening the beaches due to the pressure and protests. We'll see how this experiment pays off.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #7559 on: May 05, 2020, 04:57:38 PM »
we'll be on the Swedish method by memorial day.