Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082571 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #8040 on: May 15, 2020, 09:45:32 PM »
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8041 on: May 15, 2020, 10:02:39 PM »

It didn't turn out too great in the end. I do think though there is a possibility it turns out be a future model, weirdly enough. Just depends how long countries can stomach multiple lockdowns.

The 50,000 figure is excess deaths right? While I'm not going to argue against you in general, I do find the excess death figure kind of funny(not really, just an expression) because I have seen it used to argue that we aren't doing that bad. Mainly because the UK was the first country in Europe to top 30,000. And a presenter used the excess death figure to show it might not be entirely what it seems.

Again, I'm not really trying to refute you as such, only I really did see it used that way.

Honestly, here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiAUPREkl8

That video shows that unreported COVID19 deaths are likely in five figures. That is not good! That is bad!

He is only arguing that the UK is "not doing so bad" compared only to Italy, where the undercount has been particularly high. According to the Economist, there is less of a gap between reported COVID19 and total excess deaths in France and Spain than there is in the UK. Adding 11k deaths certainly doesn't make the UK look better compared to South Korea et al.

Also, saying Italy is worse is not an argument in favor of light-touch "mitigation" strategies! Italy had more deaths than the UK by the dates they started their respective lockdowns.

shosta

« Reply #8042 on: May 15, 2020, 10:02:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/1261451245790748672

they should just do the whole show like this!
每天生气

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #8043 on: May 15, 2020, 10:14:25 PM »
Nice to see TellTale games getting work again
WDW

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8044 on: May 15, 2020, 10:22:34 PM »

Leadbelly

« Reply #8045 on: May 15, 2020, 10:40:22 PM »

It didn't turn out too great in the end. I do think though there is a possibility it turns out be a future model, weirdly enough. Just depends how long countries can stomach multiple lockdowns.

The 50,000 figure is excess deaths right? While I'm not going to argue against you in general, I do find the excess death figure kind of funny(not really, just an expression) because I have seen it used to argue that we aren't doing that bad. Mainly because the UK was the first country in Europe to top 30,000. And a presenter used the excess death figure to show it might not be entirely what it seems.

Again, I'm not really trying to refute you as such, only I really did see it used that way.

Honestly, here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiAUPREkl8

That video shows that unreported COVID19 deaths are likely in five figures. That is not good! That is bad!

He is only arguing that the UK is "not doing so bad" compared only to Italy, where the undercount has been particularly high. According to the Economist, there is less of a gap between reported COVID19 and total excess deaths in France and Spain than there is in the UK. Adding 11k deaths certainly doesn't make the UK look better compared to South Korea et al.

Also, saying Italy is worse is not an argument in favor of light-touch "mitigation" strategies! Italy had more deaths than the UK by the dates they started their respective lockdowns.

Lucky I never said it was then. :p

As far as I can gather, it's actually too early to tell who has been hit hardest anyway. There are multiple reasons why this is unclear.

shosta

« Reply #8046 on: May 15, 2020, 10:41:44 PM »
This tic you have of propagating claims and then saying that you're only the messenger is... not endearing.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8047 on: May 15, 2020, 10:46:50 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Leadbelly

« Reply #8049 on: May 15, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
This tic you have of propagating claims and then saying that you're only the messenger is... not endearing.

Funny... I thought I explicitly said I was not refuting your argument by posting it. I thought I made it clear. You know I said it because I didn't intend to argue about this. It seems words don't mean anything though. It's need to 'win' bullshit again. I simply found it funny because it's the same statistics used to show opposite conclusions.

shosta

« Reply #8050 on: May 15, 2020, 10:56:33 PM »
If five or more people here are routinely misunderstanding you then that's primarily your fault
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
own your shit
« Reply #8051 on: May 15, 2020, 10:57:13 PM »
"Look, all I do is post videos that promote a certain viewpoint, why do you guys all think I'm sympathetic to that viewpoint? I always include a perfunctory caveat!"

Leadbelly

« Reply #8052 on: May 15, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »
Also other mentions was simply me being annoyed by people mocking the strategy. Again I thought there was at least some logic to it. It wasn't completely ludicrous.
The reason we were mocking the strategy is because it was clearly negligent, and it turned out exactly the way the pessimists predicted. As I write this, the current excess deaths literature suggests over 50,000 people have died in the UK. That's why Arvid and I get a little emotional over some of your posts.

Honestly, here:

I qualified the point twice. I am not arguing against you. I'm not really trying to refute you. Seems pretty clear to me. I wasn't looking for an argument on this.

And to be honest, it's not like there aren't points of contest I could have. There is. For instance I could say France's excess figures are very provisional based on the way they are recorded. In fact many countries record deaths in different ways, making it hard to compare. I just simply didn't want it from the start and preempted it by qualifying it though. It didn't work. lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8053 on: May 15, 2020, 11:47:53 PM »
california budget cuts are gonna hurt  :-\

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8055 on: May 16, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »
https://pressprogress.ca/amazon-tells-canadian-warehouse-workers-theyre-getting-a-pay-cut/

As Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos prepares to become the first trillionaire in the world, workers at Amazon’s Canadian warehouses have been notified that the company is going to roll back their wages.

According to an internal company memo obtained by PressProgress, Amazon told workers this week it has decided to cancel hero pay that was granted in recognition of hazardous working conditions during the coronavirus pandemic.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #8056 on: May 16, 2020, 10:22:06 AM »
Asked the grocery delivery how business has been, how the job's been treating him. "It was really crazy a couple weeks ago, but it's really dried up. You see the walmart down the road? It's packed! Nobody's getting it delivered."

I don't know what I expected :goty2

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8057 on: May 16, 2020, 10:34:05 AM »
Speaking of Wal-mart: Able to go in and check phones.

Want to make sure to buy it unlocked, go to Best Buy: Totally closed and need to order online/Curbside Pickup.

On one hand: Good for Best Buy for protecting their employees. On the other: :beli I wanted to get the fucking replacement phone today since my current one is "healthcare battery plz"-ing from 80 to 30% in like 4 hours (and getting weaker). But now I need to order from NewEgg or Amazon (ugh) and hopefully 1-day deliver it. :goty :goty2

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8058 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »
I did see today with chase they’re offering to forebear my mortgage for 3 months if I want, payments added to end of loan. Might do that, just for extra coin in my pocket rn

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8059 on: May 16, 2020, 11:42:39 AM »
So you’re saying the 3 months being added in the back end will be significantly more expensive to me than if I just pay now? I did enroll, because as I saw it in the terms, I can still pay it on time and it will be processed normally if I choose, so nothing to lose getting it squared away.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #8060 on: May 16, 2020, 11:50:03 AM »
Going back to the office on monday for a week, then 3 weeks from home again so other teams get their week at the office. Rinse and repeat.

On the one hand its nice to see folk, but it wont be the same (no table tennis during lunch breaks :( ) but on the other hand working for home is good for family life and free time.

I hop in the future i can do 1-2 days a week from home.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8063 on: May 16, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »
Death for fun and profit!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #8064 on: May 16, 2020, 01:22:21 PM »

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #8065 on: May 16, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8066 on: May 16, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »

:lol

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8067 on: May 16, 2020, 02:21:23 PM »
Way to fuck that up :lol

Don't worry the sign police got him.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8068 on: May 16, 2020, 02:43:49 PM »
dog

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8069 on: May 16, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »
I am a FREE
I am not MAN
A NUMBER

it's almost poetic

shosta

« Reply #8070 on: May 16, 2020, 03:15:27 PM »

This is wrong but it still made me laugh
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #8071 on: May 16, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Went for a jog for the first time in a few weeks. Was alright, I need to get out of my area and get out of my car somewhere.

I'm kinda tempted one weekend to do the PCH drive up to SF and back (~6 hours probably with no traffic these days) for Big Sur ocean/beaches & Redwood Forests. Dunno where I could stop along that path where it wouldn't be crowded with other people, but that's a lot of coastline so probably somewhere I could pull over and stretch and breathe in some nature.

shosta

每天生气

Tripon

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8075 on: May 16, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8076 on: May 16, 2020, 05:23:04 PM »
We just went out to pick up take-out from two places.  The first was from a restaurant in the same place as the local mall- the parking lot was almost full.  Can't even imagine stepping foot inside a mall right now, holy shit.

Then the other place is on a busy street in the area full of shops/restaurants.  It was a ghost town right up until this past week- there were so many cars and people walking around that you'd think the pandemic was over.  Zero social distancing going on. Fucking crazy.
ど助平

Ghoul

« Reply #8077 on: May 16, 2020, 05:26:49 PM »
Yeah kinda the same here, now the unlimited exercise and you can travel anywhere thing is going on it’s just pretty crazy, just so many people doing whatever the fuck they want and then you have people protesting about staying indoors, like it’s some terrible torture to do. The real scary thing is if you get it bad a work colleague of mine has been in hospital for over a month now on a vent and in an induced coma.

But sure guys it’s just 5G and bats making you sick. Absolutely stupid.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8079 on: May 16, 2020, 05:31:26 PM »
I think I came up with a solution to America.  What is better than cheap gas? Free gas.  But only free gas.  You get to go out but only if you have gas.  Someone from the government will drop off your monthly ration.  This will also prop up big oil.  Everyone will be happy. 

shosta

« Reply #8080 on: May 16, 2020, 05:42:39 PM »
gimme some beans and I'll give you all the gas you want
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #8081 on: May 16, 2020, 05:46:05 PM »
We just went out to pick up take-out from two places.  The first was from a restaurant in the same place as the local mall- the parking lot was almost full.  Can't even imagine stepping foot inside a mall right now, holy shit.

Then the other place is on a busy street in the area full of shops/restaurants.  It was a ghost town right up until this past week- there were so many cars and people walking around that you'd think the pandemic was over.  Zero social distancing going on. Fucking crazy.

The weirdest thing I've learned from all this is how many people rely 100% on what other people tell them to do and don't think for themselves.

Like I know so many intelligent people that are like "I'm watching to see when Newsom says it's ok to go to Diners and eat inside because I'll go out once he does" or once the city opens beaches I'll go there because they opened them. It's like once someone says something is ok, they think it's 100% safe and everything is fine again.

I have moderate anxiety and I already get anxiety about going outside lately because of the mask thing and if you wear a mask some crazy person may try to start shit with you because you're wearing a mask and if you don't wear a mask someone might get in your face for not wearing one, so the anxiety of that is already keeping me from going out much. But what I'm really worried about is once they re-open most things in another month or two and everyone thinks this is "over" even though we'll still be in the middle of deaths that if I wear a mask outside at that point it's more likely than ever people will get aggressive with me.

I actually would feel a lot more comfortable driving to somewhere in a different less populated city walking around because of that. It's even more awkward if you run into your neighbors and they're all right wing truthers and crazy on this. I've been avoiding my neighbor who has a parking garage directly opposite of mine and likes to spend most of his day standing in his garage being the neighborhood watch and talking to everyone he sees, because he's always been a crazy anti-vax, racist trump kind of retired old guy. I used to run into him about twice a week and have a short conversation when I was parking or leaving, but I haven't seen him for like 2 months because I'm purposely avoiding encountering him.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8082 on: May 16, 2020, 05:48:37 PM »
gimme some beans and I'll give you all the gas you want

The original negative priced gas. 

Oblivion

« Reply #8083 on: May 16, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »

Want to make sure to buy it unlocked, go to Best Buy: Totally closed and need to order online/Curbside Pickup.

On one hand: Good for Best Buy for protecting their employees. On the other: :beli I wanted to get the fucking replacement phone today since my current one is "healthcare battery plz"-ing from 80 to 30% in like 4 hours (and getting weaker). But now I need to order from NewEgg or Amazon (ugh) and hopefully 1-day deliver it. :goty :goty2

i actually meant to stop by best buy some time to get a phone myself. stores like target were open but i dunno if BB is as well.

might not be the right thread for it, but since we're on the topic of phones....apple or android?  :doge

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8084 on: May 16, 2020, 06:14:14 PM »
Whew. Just got back from a state park hike and it was like Fourth of July out there. Every parking spot filled and every picnic table and grill packed with multiple families. Dozens of biker convoys 15 people deep driving through.

Quarantine is over.

Bebpo

« Reply #8085 on: May 16, 2020, 06:16:01 PM »
Whew. Just got back from a state park hike and it was like Fourth of July out there. Every parking spot filled and every picnic table and grill packed with multiple families. Dozens of biker convoys 15 people deep driving through.

Quarantine is over.

:'(

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #8086 on: May 16, 2020, 06:16:06 PM »
Work today only had a whopping two people show-up for 4 of us sitting there full-time.

Thank you so much higher-ups for wasting my time. But hey, at least I get paid to shitpost on Twitter for the hours.

i actually meant to stop by best buy some time to get a phone myself. stores like target were open but i dunno if BB is as well.

might not be the right thread for it, but since we're on the topic of phones....apple or android?  :doge

It might be just mine due to county ordinances. But you might want to order online and call ahead to make sure just in case.

I couldn't tell you which is best. I'm strictly an Android person. No Andy, No Googie.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:27:52 PM by thisismyusername »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8087 on: May 16, 2020, 06:32:35 PM »
My schadenfreude is really high right now for the US.  It's like you guys tried really hard for a month and a half and you did you best but it just not you.  And instead of trying to change who you guys are, you just embraced a corona-positive lifestyle and now post about how great and life-changing it is on Instagram.   

Oblivion

« Reply #8088 on: May 16, 2020, 06:34:35 PM »
in my part of L.A. people are still taking seriously. at least so far, thankfully

Oblivion

« Reply #8089 on: May 16, 2020, 06:38:42 PM »

It might be just mine due to county ordinances. But you might want to order online and call ahead to make sure just in case.

I couldn't tell you which is best. I'm strictly an Android person. No Andy, No Googie.

i'm a google fanboy myself, and was looking to get a pixel.

on the other hand, i'd be lying if the iphone doesn't look pretty sick. i may make the jump if i could find a good deal

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8090 on: May 16, 2020, 06:39:15 PM »
Ontario isn't really doing much better - we are about to open up but really I feel like we should be waiting another 2-4 weeks

https://covid-19-status.ca/on.html

Quebec is the only place in Canada that doesn't seem to have it under control and I feel like most other provinces, other than Ontario could open up.  I kind of feel like if the Maritimes and Manitoba wait they could actually get to a containment stage. 

Bebpo

« Reply #8091 on: May 16, 2020, 06:54:03 PM »
My schadenfreude is really high right now for the US.  It's like you guys tried really hard for a month and a half and you did you best but it just not you.  And instead of trying to change who you guys are, you just embraced a corona-positive lifestyle and now post about how great and life-changing it is on Instagram.

Yeah, pretty much.

Oblivion

« Reply #8092 on: May 16, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »

we all just collectively sort of decided the rona went away

and thus it did
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:32:00 PM by Oblivion »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8093 on: May 16, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »
I'm not even surprised. This is often compared to a wartime situation and this is how the USA has behaved in nearly all wartime situations.
The only example of the US not going all in in recent history is Syria and if you go back further in time probably the Cuban missile crisis.

WW1
French: "Don't just run at the German machine guns, they'll tear you to shreds it's better to...."
USA: "COWARDS, You're just too weak to break the German lines, let's go boys! USA USA!"

WW2
Churchill: "You see Italy is the soft underbelly of Europe, if we land there then..."
USA: "No, we'll liberate France, the liberation starts there, we'll just drop our para boys behind enemy lines and straight up attack their most heavily defended beach fortifications FOR LIBERTY"

WW2 Part II
Soviet Union: "We will now join you in your battle to fight Japan it is too dangerous to attack them directly, we first need to take out their puppet states"
USA: "We'll just nuke em, fuck yeah"

Korea
South Korea: "Well this is hopeless, we can't beat the communists"
USA: "Don't worry, we'll push them back into CHINA!"
McArthur: "How about we nuke the Chinese?"
Truman: "Ok dude, time-out"

Vietnam
France: "It is impossible to impose our will on these people, we're outta here"
USA: "COWARDS, you just need some more NAPALM"

Serbia
Germany: "Declaring Kosovo a state will really upset the Russians, they see this as an attack on their backyard, there is a long history that...."
USA: "Serbians can eat shit, Kosovo is now FREE bitches"

Afghanistan
Russia: "So this is where the Taliban camps are but just in and out, I wouldn't stay there bad idea"
USA: "Those guys can't do shit. We'll win this in 2 weeks, trust us"

Iraq
UN: "It is probably a really bad idea even if Saddam has nukes, our inspections so far don't show anything alarming"
USA: "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED*"

Libya
Russia: "Well, it would be terrible if that city would turn into a killing field. So we agree that action should be undertaken to defend it"
USA: "RAPING QADDAFI IN A DITCH AFTER DROPPING F16 BOMBS ON HIS ASS AND HILLARY LAUGHING ABOUT IT ON TV IS BASICALLY DEFENSE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT"

Syria
Russia: "Arming these terrorists is a really bad idea"
USA: "Surely these guys can't be worse than Assad?"

Ukraine
EU: "We must be careful, you will probably upset the balance of power in the region, who knows what Putin will do and we're not sure the opposition can be trusted..."
USA: "FUCK THE EU! FUCK PUTIN! UKRAINE FREE!"

So to me it is no surprise that in this 'war' the US wants to have the most masks, ventilators, vaccines and at the same time open the earliest.
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8094 on: May 16, 2020, 07:15:08 PM »
So you’re saying the 3 months being added in the back end will be significantly more expensive to me than if I just pay now? I did enroll, because as I saw it in the terms, I can still pay it on time and it will be processed normally if I choose, so nothing to lose getting it squared away.

Obviously I don't know the details of your loan, but when I worked in the loans (and granted it was student loans) biz, forbearances were a scam to let extra interest accrue and add it to the backend of the principle and squeeze more money out of you in the end. I saw people double the total of their loans using up forbearance time.

I’ll definitely have to run numbers before I skip a payment then, thx

Tripon

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8096 on: May 16, 2020, 08:50:40 PM »

at this point there's not much to do besides sit back and watch people die. i know it sounds evil as hell but i hope that as the bodies pile up it'll be those who decided to be reckless and not those who wanted to be safe but couldn't.

it really, honestly, blows my mind though. like it was unreal to me that the country just decided to accept that being a victim of daily mass shootings was ok, but being completely ok with knowing that you might randomly get struck down by the fucking plague is so absurd that i don't think any of us would have ever considered it possible. it all feels hopelessly idiotic.
pcp

shosta

« Reply #8097 on: May 16, 2020, 08:56:34 PM »
The elderly that I know have been freaking the fuck out this whole time and e.g. Jesse Watters has been pushing the "you and your kids won't die if you're not in an at risk demographic" so I think the issue is more pathological selfishness than suicidal ignorance.
每天生气

Tripon

shosta

« Reply #8099 on: May 16, 2020, 09:31:16 PM »
this won't be interesting except to a few people but the guys who put out that stanford study and forgot to mention the conflict of interest with their funding just got owned on a zoom call and it fucking rules so hard

https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1261357844726779904
每天生气