Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 798630 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #4080 on: September 28, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
I'm part white, Mexican and Cherokee but I'm mostly just cute.
Actual Cherokee? White girls (who think they're Native American Irish German French Russian Spanish Royal descents are crying into their pumpkin lattes of jealousy.

Edit: Shit, sorry Cats. I honestly posted this before reading your post. :lol
:lol  Yeah.  My grandmother on my dad's side is Cherokee, part of the nation and all that jazz.  I'm eligible to join the nation but I've always been too lazy to do so even though I went to Cherokee, NC for vacation this past Christmas.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4081 on: September 28, 2017, 03:09:06 PM »
That's cool, our natives in Norway (Sami) are just considered weirdos. :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4082 on: September 28, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
Ya, the next few years will be very important for the kid to become a fluent speaker in multiple languages and even then he/she will need a peer group which also uses the language. 

You should force your 2 year old to learn multiple languages and find mothers who also enjoy forcing their 2 yearolds to learn multiple languages.  Also find a mother that beats their kid so that your kid will be all like 'my mom is really good, she doesn't beat me or nothing' in multiple languages.  Languages > mental health of children, fact.     
D-do you wanna talk about it?

Nah, I have a good mother.  I only know Latin and she didn't beat me or nothing. 

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #4083 on: September 28, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
Learning latin is like the equivqlent of 5 languages. Except it's useless.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4084 on: September 28, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »
Ya, the next few years will be very important for the kid to become a fluent speaker in multiple languages and even then he/she will need a peer group which also uses the language. 

You should force your 2 year old to learn multiple languages and find mothers who also enjoy forcing their 2 yearolds to learn multiple languages.  Also find a mother that beats their kid so that your kid will be all like 'my mom is really good, she doesn't beat me or nothing' in multiple languages.  Languages > mental health of children, fact.     
D-do you wanna talk about it?

Nah, I have a good mother.  I only know Latin and she didn't beat me or nothing.
Not Greek? For shame.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4085 on: September 28, 2017, 06:11:41 PM »
My Mom's exactly half Swedish, half Norwegian. My last name is German, so most people assume I'm of that descent, but my Dad's side of the family is mixed. My Dad used to say, "I'm Heinz." When pressed for an explanation, he'd say "57 Varieties." I've tried to track the joke down for years, but haven't been able to locate the sauce.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:teehee
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4086 on: September 28, 2017, 10:06:13 PM »
I'm part white, Mexican and Cherokee but I'm mostly just cute.
Actual Cherokee? White girls (who think they're Native American Irish German French Russian Spanish Royal descents) are crying into their pumpkin lattes of jealousy.

Edit: Shit, sorry Cats. I honestly posted this before reading your post. :lol
Oh no it's cool, I'm a white girl

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #4087 on: September 29, 2017, 04:39:03 PM »
Been to Ricky Gervais tonight

super show

j

archnemesis

« Reply #4088 on: October 01, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »
I went to Pizza Hut and got seven free pizzas with me on the way out. Apparently the kitchen messed up and made everything twice.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4089 on: October 01, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »
Got 3 hairline fractures in my hand, and severe ligament and tendon damage in my hand which already had RSI in it. Why is this a triumph? Because I get to scale back work and travel for a bit, and actually be home for a bit.

Realizing that breaking your hand is a triumph because you get to finally work like a normal person :goty
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4090 on: October 01, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »
How does one put their hand in a phone book and hammer it when there are no more phone books?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4091 on: October 01, 2017, 08:23:16 PM »
Got 3 hairline fractures in my hand, and severe ligament and tendon damage in my hand which already had RSI in it. Why is this a triumph? Because I get to scale back work and travel for a bit, and actually be home for a bit.

Realizing that breaking your hand is a triumph because you get to finally work like a normal person :goty

Yeah… I'm not convinced you're in the right thread, even with the W.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4092 on: October 01, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »
Check the relationship thread for mine :D
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4093 on: October 02, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
Had to check the thread title for that one.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4094 on: October 02, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »
ive had like a dozen dates today :lawd

Your menu must be pretty open.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4095 on: October 04, 2017, 06:11:34 PM »

bought boots

archnemesis

« Reply #4096 on: October 05, 2017, 03:09:19 AM »
Yesterday, I won a pastry by beating a clerk at rock-paper-scissors.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4097 on: October 05, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »
Yesterday I got free chicken tenders by telling the cook she makes incredible burgers

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4098 on: October 05, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
Flirt with the cook and get the wrong tenders.  We should have a minor victories thread. 

Tasty

« Reply #4099 on: October 05, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
After five years at my current company, I've verbally accepted an offer to join a prestigious Boston journalism outfit at $20k more a year than I'm currently making now. :preach

I was so fucking nervous during my interview (literally my first in five years) but found my groove early on and apparently nailed it.

The wage increase basically puts me at where I should have been for the past couple years, and also makes it possible for me to continue living in Boston (I was strongly considering a move to Providence, which would immediately cut my rent in half.) Things have gotten crazy in this city, man.

I'm excited, overjoyed, nervous, slightly sad and a little guilty. I love my current place, but not only is 5 years a long time in this industry but three of my favorite people here have put in their notices in the last two weeks. And we refuse to hire people. IMO, the writing is somewhat on the wall. Anything can happen though.

I'm going to tell them about my offer and see what happens, but it would take a lot to get me to stay. Part of me does want to see what happens on a sinking ship though - could be fun (it's certainly been fun lately.) But with all my friends departing, and the chance to be apart of a mission statement I really believe in... Probably time to go.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4100 on: October 05, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »
Congrats, Meat!
serge

Tasty

« Reply #4101 on: October 05, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
Thanks everyone!!

You're going from computer programming to journalism?

Truly a man of many talents.

It's an engineering job at a media company, I'm not quite that level of renaissance man yet haha.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4102 on: October 05, 2017, 08:56:56 PM »
A thicc Latina cosplayer girl who runs nerd/weeb-themed events around the NY/NJ area posted on her FB that she was looking for a DJ for a NY Comic Con afterparty. I told her I DJ for fun, and she messaged me. She wants me to play the party, at first she asked if I play hiphop (not really), top 40 (no), or reggaeton (FUCK NO)... but then her friend who is also running the party is a big house music fan so he convinced her to let me go. So looks like I got a gig this weekend!

Can't wait to play this one out, in particular:
^_^

Beezy

« Reply #4103 on: October 05, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »
Any pics of this thick latina cosplayer?

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4104 on: October 06, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »
So I'm stuck living at my mom's for a while until I get all the legal stuff out of the way, and I've been cooking for everyone almost every day this week. It's really nice to make food for people who actually like and appreciate it. Also it's much more enjoyable to cook western food again.

:delicious

Freyj

« Reply #4105 on: October 06, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »
After five years at my current company, I've verbally accepted an offer to join a prestigious Boston journalism outfit at $20k more a year than I'm currently making now. :preach

I was so fucking nervous during my interview (literally my first in five years) but found my groove early on and apparently nailed it.

The wage increase basically puts me at where I should have been for the past couple years, and also makes it possible for me to continue living in Boston (I was strongly considering a move to Providence, which would immediately cut my rent in half.) Things have gotten crazy in this city, man.

I'm excited, overjoyed, nervous, slightly sad and a little guilty. I love my current place, but not only is 5 years a long time in this industry but three of my favorite people here have put in their notices in the last two weeks. And we refuse to hire people. IMO, the writing is somewhat on the wall. Anything can happen though.

I'm going to tell them about my offer and see what happens, but it would take a lot to get me to stay. Part of me does want to see what happens on a sinking ship though - could be fun (it's certainly been fun lately.) But with all my friends departing, and the chance to be apart of a mission statement I really believe in... Probably time to go.

I feel like I've asked this before, but what's your tech stack?

Don't feel guilty though, the people made the gig what it was and when they're gone the veil really comes down.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4106 on: October 06, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
So I'm stuck living at my mom's for a while until I get all the legal stuff out of the way, and I've been cooking for everyone almost every day this week. It's really nice to make food for people who actually like and appreciate it. Also it's much more enjoyable to cook western food again.

Is there anything you miss from back there food wise?
©ZH

Raist

« Reply #4107 on: October 06, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »

Everyone?

What about us tho :stahp

Tasty

« Reply #4108 on: October 06, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »

Don't feel guilty though, the people made the gig what it was and when they're gone the veil really comes down.

PHP 5 (2 major versions out of date)
Grails 2 (1 major version out of date)

Various other things but that's mostly it. We just deleted a huge helping of shitty old code, so that was nice to see. The tech is pretty impressive in a few ways and really bad in a lot of other ways. But that's more or less the same everywhere, I think. New features get new clients. Deleting code doesn't.

And yeah, I feel the veil's been slowly slipping for about a year. September 2016 is when the golden era ended IMO with regards to the people I really liked. Then in the last month like four key people who I really liked have left.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4109 on: October 06, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »
Western food? I've missed pretty much everything. :lol
Import food in Japan is quite expensive, and usually it isn't the same at all. Like drinking Pepsi when you wanted Coke.

I'm gonna miss a few things from Japan though.. like Japanese curry. But I could cook that at home if I find any ingredients at the local Asian shop.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #4110 on: October 06, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »
I meant Japanese food.
©ZH

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4111 on: October 06, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
There are some favorites but not something I'll miss dearly (except Japanese curry and miso soup). Well, I guess maybe good ramen. :(

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4112 on: October 06, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »
I can send you some Maruchan or Top Ramen packets.  Let me know.

Brehvolution

« Reply #4113 on: October 06, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
You can tell it's the best because it has Top in the name.  :doge
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4114 on: October 06, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »

Ship me some flatbrød.  I'd appreciate it.   

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4115 on: October 06, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
I can send you some Maruchan or Top Ramen packets.  Let me know.
Instant noodles aren't the same! Still good though, and we  have those I think? So no worries. But thank you~ Gotta go check out that one and only Asian import shop in town. I think they're selling chocolate pocky for the local weebs. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4116 on: October 06, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »
Western food? I've missed pretty much everything. :lol
Import food in Japan is quite expensive, and usually it isn't the same at all. Like drinking Pepsi when you wanted Coke.

I'm gonna miss a few things from Japan though.. like Japanese curry. But I could cook that at home if I find any ingredients at the local Asian shop.

Which western food have you been the most surprised about enjoying again?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4117 on: October 06, 2017, 07:24:48 PM »
I think I would have a hard time going without access to copious amounts of cheese

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4118 on: October 07, 2017, 12:43:29 AM »
I think I would have a hard time going without access to copious amounts of cheese

Cheese is one of the greater struggles faced by expats in Japan. When I first arrived, there was "process cheese," an oil-based cheese like Velveeta or American Cheese, but white instead of orange… and inexplicably a fake Camembert.

Now there's cream cheese pretty much anywhere, and a trip to a luxury food shop will get a selection about 15-20% of the variety of Whole Foods, at 200-300% the cost.

Whenever I'm back in the USA, I work on clogging the ol' arteries as best I can.

Freyj

« Reply #4119 on: October 07, 2017, 01:15:40 AM »

PHP 5 (2 major versions out of date)
Grails 2 (1 major version out of date)

Various other things but that's mostly it. We just deleted a huge helping of shitty old code, so that was nice to see. The tech is pretty impressive in a few ways and really bad in a lot of other ways. But that's more or less the same everywhere, I think. New features get new clients. Deleting code doesn't.

And yeah, I feel the veil's been slowly slipping for about a year. September 2016 is when the golden era ended IMO with regards to the people I really liked. Then in the last month like four key people who I really liked have left.

That’s about when the party ended for mine as well, good and dead by December. I would’ve said I’d retire there two years ago.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #4120 on: October 07, 2017, 10:28:59 AM »
brushed my teeth for the first time in almost a week

:rock

You monster.
Don't stop.
[close]

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4121 on: October 07, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
had a bunch of tequila last night and woke up with no headache!

though this also technically belongs in the struggle thread because I didn't get taco bell while drunk :-\
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4122 on: October 07, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »
Went to Frys to see if they would price match a deal on slick deals. The price wasn't advertised so you had to call the seller to get deal. Fry's not only matched but they beat it by $100. So i got an OLED tv for $900 off.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #4123 on: October 09, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
*whew* Getting high at home and snacking on stuff is a great way to spend a Monday.   :marimo

Raist

« Reply #4124 on: October 09, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »
Get back to work you lazy git.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #4125 on: October 09, 2017, 04:54:14 PM »
*whew* Getting high at home and snacking on stuff is a great way to spend a Monday.   :marimo

could be getting high and getting your dick sucked by a bbw but nah u gotta have standards  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4126 on: October 10, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »
Plaque is a figment of the liberal media and the dental industry to scare you into buying useless appliances and pastes. Now, I've read the arguments on both sides, and I haven't found any evidence yet to support the need to brush your teeth.
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4127 on: October 11, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
Took a reverse half day tomorrow (going in at 12:30) so I can stay up all night playing vidya and eating these:

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #4128 on: October 11, 2017, 06:40:29 PM »

could be getting high and getting your dick sucked by a bbw but nah u gotta have standards  :doge
The BBW in question blew me off (not in the good way  :doge) again. :fbm

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #4129 on: October 13, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »
It's 20 degrees Celsius where I live.

Climate change  :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #4130 on: October 13, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »
Celsius :jeanluc

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #4131 on: October 13, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »
Went to the gym and a 6 mile jog after it. Managed to shitpost on The Bore in between.

Truly a life worth living.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4132 on: October 13, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
Went to a machine learning presentation where the guy meant to say 'sunny beaches' and said 'sunny bitches'. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4133 on: October 13, 2017, 11:22:22 PM »
Was going to go out with a friend, then she said that we should go out with the ML group - with many people I dont know.  I ended up missing her but got very drunk with another friend, which was really good.  50% failure, 50% success. 

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4134 on: October 14, 2017, 04:21:10 AM »
Had a great day guys.

Drove up to Mineapolis to meet up with some old friends. Went to a rave, pooped some Molly, dance and grinded with this cute and thick Asian girl. Then just danced the night away.

So much fun.

archnemesis

« Reply #4135 on: October 14, 2017, 07:19:07 AM »
Went to a machine learning presentation where the guy meant to say 'sunny beaches' and said 'sunny bitches'.
I have a Greek scientist friend who always does that.

Beezy

« Reply #4136 on: October 14, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4137 on: October 14, 2017, 10:13:45 AM »
Yolo

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #4138 on: October 14, 2017, 01:22:54 PM »
My new 144Hz arrived, and I just ordered a replacement NZXT mid-tower coming soon. Can't wait to set my stuff up again next week, I've been really bored using my phone only for 2 weeks. :heartbeat
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:28:05 PM by Valkyrie »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4139 on: October 15, 2017, 12:03:27 AM »
Had a really great day making shroom tea and walking by the river with wifey. I had always been skeptical about just making tea, but it really worked out great