Author Topic: Check out this sweet PSP redisign. That's totally real!  (Read 20388 times)

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Re: Check out this sweet PSP redisign. That's totally real!
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2009, 12:41:47 AM »
The DD-only idea must look like such an elegant solution to a lot of problems for the game industry.  My gut tells me that killing off the rental/used market is going to have unintended consequences for the overall health of the industry, but I have nothing to back that other than a hypothesis and my previously mentioned gut.

Of course it will, but not just because of the second hand market. Eventually they'll find out that their figures on piracy are wrong and so is their pricing, that digital downloads alone aren't probably ever going to mass market any time soon and that having a retail presence is worth more than having better margin on your download service.

Unless they work out that DD and retail need different pricing models it's not going to be overly successful. See PC.
itm

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2009, 12:43:21 AM »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2009, 01:03:22 AM »
You think it's lame because it doesn't have a phone?
sup

dammitmattt

« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2009, 01:13:32 AM »
This is so lame.  I'm not sure what Sony is going to accomplish with this.  Nothing differentiates it from the big PSP other than the removal of the UMD drive.  And slider phones suck.

Rman

« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2009, 01:24:20 AM »
yes

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Mrbob

« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2009, 01:46:07 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:lol :lol

Good stuff.  I still think the original PSP design is a heaping piece of shit though.  The screen is sexy, but beyond that it is the most uncomfortable portable I have ever gamed on.  I'm hoping the new design allows for easier use of the nub with the triggers, even if it only has one.  :/

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2009, 04:13:56 AM »
I'll have to hold one before I make my final judgement, but looks like shit and no umd drive is retardo.

Hardcores have a PSP already, so probaby wont upgrade as you cant play your software on the thing. And Im guessing purely digital distribution would intimidate and put off casuals? iPhone software seems popular, but that has tilt/touch screen and is an Apple product.I dont see Sony getting any of their marketshare...

another poorly thought out product by Sony... but to be honest PS1 and PS2 were complete flukes - Sony have never known what theyre doing gaming wise

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »
I was interested in Patapon 2, but as soon as it went DDL only, I lost interest.

same
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
i'll bet they even considered dropping the nub altogether at some point
sup

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »
i'll bet they even considered dropping the nub altogether at some point

For many games, that wouldn't even be a problem. With nearly all of  the 3d games on the platform though, 2 analog nubs is a necessity. The lack of a second nub is incredibly short sighted, especially considering that the premier launch game was a 3d platformer.
jon

cool breeze

« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »
future PSP only has virtual analog stick via touch screen

:yuck

dammitmattt

« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2009, 12:52:44 AM »
Why the fuck would you take out something as simple and standardized as a mini-USB port?!?  Sony is trying to nickel and dime everyone to death.  Lame-o.

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »
Are they serious?

That PSP archie sold to me didn't come with a USB cable, so I pulled out an old one from my cable bin and it worked.

Good luck to you if you lose the USB cable for this system! I reiterate, why would you buy this?
ಠ_ಠ

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2009, 12:58:02 AM »
the sony bunch are going to take out a hit on me when they hear the next borecast
sup

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2009, 01:39:26 AM »
I know that this goes without saying, but it still hurts bad.

Sony had a spot in its press-only booth area reserved for showing off the various accessories that will be available for PSP Go when it hits US shelves on October 1. There were cases, wrist straps, Sony-branded screen protectors ... and wait, what was that? Since the handheld doesn't have a standard mini USB port like the PSP-3000, we'll have to buy all new accessories? Sad, but true.

The PSP Go has a new multifunction port on its base (check out the video!) that is used for everything from data transfer to charging to video output. While asking owners of the older model to change a USB cable is not really a big deal, the fact that more expensive existing accessories -- such as component A/V cables, voice headsets and pretty much anything made to work with the 3000 -- are completely incompatible is cringe-worthy. That's not even taking into account third-party add-ons, or things like Sony's own GPS module.

We know Sony is planning a trade-in program for UMD games; somehow we think the company won't be extending the same offer to include cables, peripherals and other accessories.

I just wonder how many of these will be packaged with the Go! (there isn't an official word on that yet)

I can understand why the AV cables won't, but the headset and USB connector should!

according to their site the only thing you really get at initial purchase is the usb cable. The rest are the "premium" accessories.

The PSP®go System includes:

* PSP®go System (Available in Piano Black or Pearl White)
    * USB Cable
    * AC Adaptor

Premium Peripherals for the PSP® go

* Composite AV Cable
    * Component AV Cable
    * AC Adaptor
    * USB Cable
    * Single Cradle (For charging and USB data transfer)
    * Protective Filter
    * Low-end case/pouch
    * Mid-range case/pouch
    * High-end case/pouch
    * Memory Stick Micro (M2) 2GB and 4GB
    * Wired Headphones

Will see if any of this will be changed near launch  :lol

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 01:43:31 AM by Purple Filth »

Guybrush Threepwood

• Upskirt Connoisseur
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2009, 02:22:55 AM »
Yes, I can't figure out what makes this device $250
ಠ_ಠ

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2009, 09:49:50 AM »
ROFL at this bullshit.

So essentially you have to repurchase most of the PSP accessories (AV cables) for the PSP Go.

Sony isn't even trying to pretend like they're not horsefucking the consumer.

Eat shit, Sony.  I hope this POS gets hacked in a few weeks after release.
🍆🍆

pilonv1

« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2009, 10:09:19 AM »
:lol proprietary charging cable.

good lord this is stupid

btw, who wanted the patapon 2 on UMD?
itm

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2009, 10:23:10 AM »
ooooo i want that black hand strap!
nat

pilonv1

« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
also wtf is a privacy film? for watching hentai on the go?
itm

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »
Quote from: Purple Filth
The PSP®go System includes:

* PSP®go System (Available in Piano Black or Pearl White)
    * USB Cable
    * AC Adaptor

Premium Peripherals for the PSP® go

* Composite AV Cable
    * Component AV Cable
    * AC Adaptor
    * USB Cable
    * Single Cradle (For charging and USB data transfer)
    * Protective Filter
    * Low-end case/pouch
    * Mid-range case/pouch
    * High-end case/pouch
    * Memory Stick Micro (M2) 2GB and 4GB
    * Wired Headphones

So it's confirmed that it won't be packaged with a headphone, pouch, or a bare minimum M2 stick? (which is ironic because Sony considers this as a "premium" model, when it only contains the accessories of a "basic" PSP)

They could've at least included the headphones instead of the AC adapter since the USB cable can charge the PSP.

or does it?...............................................

:lol

on a serious note

I can see with not giving an M2 stick (you have 16 fucking GBs out of the box already or whatever the actual number is after formating, etc) but the lack of headphones and pouch really kills the illusion of being a premium model and the "introduction to this new lifestyle" angle

cool breeze

« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2009, 01:21:39 PM »
The one nice thing about the TV Out cable for the Go is that you can now use the Dual Shock 3 to play games.  Of course there is the problem of not being able to charge while using TV out, but maybe Sony could that out by it's release.

I'm sticking with my 2000 but will be buying PSP games on PSN from now on.  I will probably buy a Go, or some iteration of the Go, in the future when the price is much lower, but at $250 and an unknown way to play my dozens of existing PSP games, isn't really worth it yet.  Actually, I might pick up a 3000 now that its been hacked.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2009, 02:31:36 PM »
So the 3000 HAS been hacked?  No one seems to be talking about it.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »
The one nice thing about the TV Out cable for the Go is that you can now use the Dual Shock 3 to play games.  Of course there is the problem of not being able to charge while using TV out, but maybe Sony could that out by it's release.

Has that been confirmed? All I can remember was the wild speculation of some fans when it was revealed that the Go! includes Bluetooth connectivity. I have to admit that it's a nifty feature (although it needs way more of the same kind to be justified).

Haven't seen this confirmed anywhere.

BTW you can do all this with a regular (hacked) PSP.  Even play it full-screen and nicely-filtered with any USB controller on a PC.

Retailers have got to be concerned with this new model too.  All new accessories n' shit, and no games to sell with it.   :lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:53:29 PM by Edge Lyteman »
ど助平

Purple Filth

« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »
So the 3000 HAS been hacked?  No one seems to be talking about it.

Someone managed to get that HEN CFW on it but it didn't do much, now it was updated and can now play PS1 and PSP "backups"  (if i remember correctly).

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 03:37:34 PM by Purple Filth »

Powerslave

« Reply #206 on: June 07, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »
I have to express my hate for this thing once again:

what a fucking piece of shit god damn it

cool breeze

« Reply #207 on: June 07, 2009, 08:50:56 PM »

Has that been confirmed? All I can remember was the wild speculation of some fans when it was revealed that the Go! includes Bluetooth connectivity. I have to admit that it's a nifty feature (although it needs way more of the same kind to be justified).

It is in the press release

* Bluetooth® function
Bluetooth function will also allow users to connect Bluetooth standard peripherals such as head-phones and head-set *5 as well as PS3 wireless controller (DUALSHOCK®3 and SIXAXIS®) *6 to be used when watching video content on TVs via PSP at home*7.
*6 PS3 wireless controller can be used. To register PS3 wireless controller on PSPgo, PS3 is needed. Some buttons and rumble feature will not be supported.

Well, it doesn't mention games, but if it doesn't support it...no, Sony can't be that ridiculous.  Can they?

dammitmattt

« Reply #208 on: June 07, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
If you have a PS3, why in the world would you want to play your PSP games blown up on your HDTV?  Especially since the vast majority of PSP games are scaled-down console games.  This is a completely useless feature that's just there for the sake of it being there.  Typical Sony this generation.

Powerslave

« Reply #209 on: June 07, 2009, 10:36:31 PM »
what kind of username is dammitmattt

Rman

« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2009, 10:41:16 PM »
Just to be sure, you can't just your old PSP 1k/2k/3k  memory sticks with this thing?

dammitmattt

« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2009, 10:45:07 PM »
what kind of username is dammitmattt

Completely awesome.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2009, 10:47:20 PM »
Just to be sure, you can't just your old PSP 1k/2k/3k  memory sticks with this thing?

Different type of memory stick.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2009, 10:48:28 PM »
If you have a PS3, why in the world would you want to play your PSP games blown up on your HDTV?  Especially since the vast majority of PSP games are scaled-down console games.  This is a completely useless feature that's just there for the sake of it being there.  Typical Sony this generation.

It's already been done once with Resistance Retribution, which IIRC even lets you use both analog sticks on the PS3 pad.

Not every game is on the PS3, either.  Dammit, Mattt.
ど助平

dammitmattt

« Reply #214 on: June 07, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »

It's already been done once with Resistance Retribution, which IIRC even lets you use both analog sticks on the PS3 pad.

Retribution would look so, so ugly blown up on any TV over 19".  My point is that this completely misses the whole point of the PSP being a portable system.  Then again, I thought the Gameboy player was the dumbest thing ever, too.

cool breeze

« Reply #215 on: June 07, 2009, 11:46:09 PM »
uh, I thought there were supposed to be a lot of PSP games to download.  There are only about 50 or so and a bunch are download only stuff like Super Stardust portable.  The prices aren't too bad.  $23 seems to be highest price they have.  Don't know how that compares to Gamestop.

Rman

« Reply #216 on: June 08, 2009, 12:29:21 AM »
Last time I checked LocoRoco was 24 bucks on PSN.  Kinda laughable when its sequel retails for 20 as a retail copy.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: June 08, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
Unconfirmed, but...

The gaming blogs VG247 and Pocket Gamer have noticed that the British Gaming Retail Giants have listed their preorder prices for the PSP Go, and its an incredible £230. 

http://www.game.co.uk/PSP/Hardware/Console/~r342217/Sony-PSP-Go-Black-Console/?s=psp%20go

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/PSP/Hardware/Console/~r416534/SonyPSPGOBlackConsole/

That's the equivalent of $366. So much for launching the thing at the same price the original was at launch (£179). Sucks to be a Euro-Sigarillo.

AND you have to buy all your accessories again. Good jon, Sony.
dog

Powerslave

« Reply #218 on: June 08, 2009, 12:23:52 PM »
Why So Expensive?

Purple Filth

« Reply #219 on: June 08, 2009, 12:47:36 PM »
Why So Expensive?

Economy nukka  :P

:lol @ such a price

Lexmd

« Reply #220 on: June 08, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »
The reason it is so expensive is because Sony has to give a fat profit margin to retailers this time around to compensate for lost software sales.  Why the hell would they carry the thing otherwise? 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: June 08, 2009, 08:19:34 PM »

Retribution would look so, so ugly blown up on any TV over 19".  My point is that this completely misses the whole point of the PSP being a portable system.  Then again, I thought the Gameboy player was the dumbest thing ever, too.

Some games look better than others, but sure.  If you're spending a lot of time with a game and would like to play it on a bigger, brighter screen, that option is there for you.  Gameboy Player (and the Super Gameboy before it) was awesome because at the time the Gameboy line's screens weren't the greatest, plus those who didn't give a crap about portables but had interest in some of the games could now play them (legally, lol).
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #222 on: June 08, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »
2D portable games shouldn't look that bad but of course any 3D game will have horrible aliasing.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #223 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
229 GBP for a handheld.  ROFL.

Sony has their head so far up their ass with this thing.  Every day, Sony finds a way to make this thing less enticing than it already is.  I admire their creativity.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #224 on: June 08, 2009, 11:59:35 PM »
hey now, gamestop will probably give you a $40 trade in on your old psp, can't complain about high prices then now can you

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
sup

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2009, 05:33:17 AM »
The PlayStation brand will make it fly off shelves.
CBG

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2009, 11:03:16 AM »
no it won't
püp

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
fly off shelves and into remainder bins a year after it launches

sup

cool breeze

« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2009, 01:36:20 PM »
Game is taking pre-orders at a "guide price" of £230, a significant jump over the average retail price of £100 for the current PSP.

$165 vs $380

That is $215 extra to get a PSP Go over an existing PSP; SCEE is insane to think anyone would buy it at that price.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »
$199 by the end of January
$179 by the end of Spring

sup

Veidt

« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »
Man, Sony's fuckin' up.

cool breeze

« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »
one quick hilarious update about this thing

some sites mentioned that the PSP Go will come with voucher to download Rock Band Unplugged.  It turns out that it includes a voucher to download the Rock Band Unplugged demo.  But it isn't the same demo that is already on PSN, it's a PSP Go exclusive demo.

???

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
I bet we're all going to end up getting one.   :-\
ど助平

archie4208

« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2009, 02:33:39 PM »

some sites mentioned that the PSP Go will come with voucher to download Rock Band Unplugged.  It turns out that it includes a voucher to download the Rock Band Unplugged demo.  But it isn't the same demo that is already on PSN, it's a PSP Go exclusive demo.

???

Haha.  That's pathetic.  The full RB:U game would at least make the $250 ass raping slightly less painful.

cool breeze

« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
I've decided to get one if they have a reasonable way to play my UMD games, the price drops to well under $200 or the PSP Go-2000 has worthwhile improvements.  So, maybe never.

btw, just for reference sake, again, the PSP-3000 with the full Rock Band Unplugged, School of Rock movie voucher and a 4-gig stick cost $200 standard.

Tucah

« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2009, 02:37:03 PM »

???

:lol :lol

A full game with the system would have at least added a little value. But a demo? Sony really can't do anything right with this system. The Go should have been a nice boost in sales for them, but it's looking like a huge bomb. Sad, because I'd love to see the PSP get more attention, I love mine.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »

speak for yourself man :lol   There are absolutely no reasons to buy one and about a hundred good reasons not to.   Sony would've done better to not release anything at all.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
I have to say, the PSPGo and DSi are the first systems in a long time that I've felt I absolutely don't want at all.  I guess they're just refreshes, but I feel like they're both complete downgrades.  The PSPGo for no UMD, smaller screen, battery life is the same and DSi for not having the GBA slot. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
psp go battery life is actually shorter than regular psp
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2009, 04:34:58 PM »

You are not the voice of evilbore.
fat