Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083787 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #5940 on: September 30, 2012, 02:37:42 AM »
Claudette is such a Goldman intolerable c-word in later seasons of The Shield.
gtfo

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #5941 on: September 30, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
I finally made it through Homeland. I don't really see what people were complaining about with the final episode, I felt the writers earned the decision taken by the character.  I guess the element of suspense was a little overplayed, but not drastically. 

I am wary about just how long this show can be stretched out though, and Showtime has demonstrated with Dexter that it is happy to keep wringing a show long after it has any juice left.  If tonights episode feels contrived I'm gonna jump ship. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5942 on: September 30, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »
I was initially worried about Homeland S2 but it's getting perfect reviews

Beezy

« Reply #5943 on: October 01, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »
It was a great night for TV

« Reply #5944 on: October 01, 2012, 12:20:10 AM »
I was initially worried about Homeland S2 but it's getting perfect reviews
yeah but so did the first season?
show seems pretty thin to me but competent enough in its plotting and direction to be entertaining. i really don't care the characters but i'll certainly try the 2nd season.
thx

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5945 on: October 01, 2012, 12:35:33 AM »
Was tonight's ep good? I promised I'd wait and watch it tomorrow with my brother lol

I like the arc Homeland's finale set up, outside of the bullshit at the very end. Overall I don't think the show can last very long without becoming a bit ridiculous. I'd say 3-4 seasons would be enough. Maybe 5

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5946 on: October 01, 2012, 01:36:20 AM »
The premiere was awesome. Carrie's smile at the end was just about the best piece of acting so far this year.

Showtime has just nailed drama with Homeland and The Borgias.

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #5947 on: October 01, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
Thick of it S4E4

Great Episode - Malcolm is back and as devious as ever. I think i see where this whole thing is going to go from here...

thankfully this is the last of the seperated episodes, the next three will have both sides. Again - STILL prefering the Coalition stuff , much to my surprise.

There is an epic line this week though (outside of the brilliant Star Wars analogy) :

"You hear that sound?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Underneath the sound of the champagne popping is another sound, of the Government's arses yawning open, because we have got ourselves a superb leader-in-waiting who's going to stick the boot into those coked-up cousin-f***ing chinless aliens."
[close]
O=X

etiolate

« Reply #5948 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
Watched Bob's Burgers and Homeland. Both good stuff.

I don't understand what they did with Carrie's Amnesia or what they're planning to do with it. So far it's not directly a part of the storyline.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5949 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
Watched Bob's Burgers and Homeland. Both good stuff.

I don't understand what they did with Carrie's Amnesia or what they're planning to do with it. So far it's not directly a part of the storyline.
Uhh... because what she's doing right now has absolutely nothing to do with Brody.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5950 on: October 02, 2012, 02:58:50 AM »
Downton Abbey s3 is pretty great so far, but omggg @ the last ep  :-\ :'( :maf :lol :(

Damn, Edith :(

I kind of expected it due to that shot of her head dress falling through the air in the trailer; once it was clear Matthew and Mary were actually going to get married It'll be interesting to see where her character goes now. Drunk Edith will be Best Edith, I can sense it

I'll concur with those who are relieved at some of the subplots (apparently) closed already. I thought the whole "Downton in distress" thing was annoying, mainly due to Matthew's ridiculous reasoning. The letter, Daisy sending it, etc all felt quite convenient but I'll accept it if it means that storyline is finished forever.

Too bad the Bates nonsense remains. I love the character but can't stand what the writers have done with him since S1 tbh. Way too much forced drama for my blood. If I had to bet I'd say Anna will prove he's innocent, but he'll get shiv'd the night before being released.
[close]

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #5951 on: October 02, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
louie's season ending was incredible. i'm not really sure how to explain it, but it had a malickian quality to it.
zzz

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #5952 on: October 02, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
I already forgot what happened.
brb

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5953 on: October 02, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »
New Sons of Anarchy tonight. Considering last week's amazing episode, I'm really worried that tonight's will have tons of exposition without anything actually happening.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #5954 on: October 02, 2012, 03:31:11 PM »
Homeland was sooooo good.
Drunk

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #5955 on: October 07, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
Watching The Walking Dead season 2, on episode 5.

This is LEAGUES better than the first season.
nat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5956 on: October 08, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
Freaks and Geeks is up on Netflix.

I was one of the fortunate few to watch this show when it was on.  It's still great.  James Franco looks greasy as hell in this show.
🍆🍆

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #5957 on: October 08, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #5958 on: October 08, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
Despite not being a big fan of horror movies, I watched all 12 episodes of American Horror Story in one day. It was pretty good. It was more unsettling than scary. There wasn't a huge amount of gore. Jump scares (which I think are dumb) were pretty much nonexistant. I think it's a shame there isn't more horror things out there like this.

I'm looking forward to season 2, which I heard takes place in an insane asylum, which I've always thought were interesting. I'm wondering if I'll be able to enjoy it as much when I have to wait a whole week between each episode.
WDW

MIMIC

« Reply #5959 on: October 08, 2012, 10:21:25 PM »
I've been meaning to get into "Homeland" (attempted to buy the 1st season on Bluray and see it all before season 2 started).

I've heard it referred to as "24 2.0". Is that true? Because that would be the best fucking thing ever.

etiolate

« Reply #5960 on: October 08, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
Homeland was very good.

Bob's Burgers had an awesome Halloween episode on Sunday.

"There's a lot of carrots in that stew." bore-ready quote

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5961 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »
I've been meaning to get into "Homeland" (attempted to buy the 1st season on Bluray and see it all before season 2 started).

I've heard it referred to as "24 2.0". Is that true? Because that would be the best fucking thing ever.

It is. 24 for adults.
AMC

MIMIC

« Reply #5962 on: October 08, 2012, 11:05:39 PM »
Homeland was very good.

That show always bored the shit out of me, but last night's episode (first one I've seen since I gave it up last season) was VERY entertaining.

It is. 24 for adults.

I am both delighted and insulted. lol

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5963 on: October 08, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »
Homeland was very good.

That show always bored the shit out of me, but last night's episode (first one I've seen since I gave it up last season) was VERY entertaining.

It is. 24 for adults.

I am both delighted and insulted. lol

Pretty sure we're about the same age and I enjoyed 24 for a while, too.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5964 on: October 09, 2012, 12:41:46 AM »
fuck you 24 was good :fbm

Homeland is basically the show I wanted for years. A serious show about intelligence agencies, "spies" and terrorism. 24 is fun but pretty much threw that out the window after the first season; and to be fair. I love the show and liked nearly every season to varying degrees but it was largely a cartoon.

haven't seen the latest Homeland ep tho. Waiting to watch it with my brother

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5965 on: October 09, 2012, 01:20:04 AM »
Homeland continues to kick the shit out of Breaking Bad; last episode was so intense and it's only 2 eps into the season, and I've heard it just keeps getting more amazing.

Himu

« Reply #5966 on: October 09, 2012, 01:37:38 AM »
i'm not sure if homeland and breaking bad are comparable
IYKYK

« Reply #5967 on: October 09, 2012, 01:47:03 AM »
The problem with Homeland is that the plot is going to be hard to string into multiple seasons, especially

since Saul already got hold of Brody's tape. How does the show resolve that? Is Saul going to get killed before he tells headquarters? Is he a double agent too? It's like the show is resolving its main suspense point way too soon.
[close]

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #5968 on: October 09, 2012, 07:25:05 AM »
since Saul already got hold of Brody's tape. How does the show resolve that? Is Saul going to get killed before he tells headquarters? Is he a double agent too? It's like the show is resolving its main suspense point way too soon.
[close]

The fact that they took things in that direction is actually what makes the season worth tuning in for, in my opinion anyway.  They've taken a huge risk that could potentially send things completely off the rails (Twin Peaks style).   Whether it does or not, it's ultimately a much more interesting decision then just dragging things out piecemeal over however many seasons Showtime is willing to renew.
[close]

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #5969 on: October 09, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Homeland was amazing holy shit :o
Drunk

etiolate

« Reply #5970 on: October 09, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »
I actually hope

it becomes a chase down of Brody this season, because otherwise this could be a burnout point for me. If they play around with the tape in Saul's hands for a long period or conveniently wipe it out then I just won't trust the show anymore.
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5971 on: October 09, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »

YES YES YES YES!

That line had me cracking up.  I love that show so much.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5972 on: October 09, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
Brody will probably claim that the tape was made when he was still Abu - Nazir's prisoner, or I'd he gets really desperate he could say he is a double agent working against Nazir.
[close]

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
zzz

Robo

« Reply #5974 on: October 09, 2012, 06:43:03 PM »
[...] The [...] LEAGUE [...]

...season 3 is finally streaming on Netflix, you say?  Why thank you.
obo

« Reply #5975 on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:41 PM »
I actually hope

it becomes a chase down of Brody this season, because otherwise this could be a burnout point for me. If they play around with the tape in Saul's hands for a long period or conveniently wipe it out then I just won't trust the show anymore.
[close]

That's the thing -

they can't just make it into a chase because that flies in face of the show's premise -- an American has been turned and is now infiltrating the highest levels of government. If he runs, the show becomes something entirely different from before.
[close]

« Reply #5976 on: October 09, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »
Brody will probably claim that the tape was made when he was still Abu - Nazir's prisoner, or I'd he gets really desperate he could say he is a double agent working against Nazir.
[close]

I think you're right -- it'll have to be something like that, where they end up keeping the whole thing a secret known only to a few. I wouldn't be surprised if the writers somehow manage to make it so that even the VP doesn't know.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5977 on: October 10, 2012, 12:15:25 AM »
Homeland...

I can't help but wonder if that episode is the point we'll look back to as the shark jumping moment. While I'm glad the show apparently has no intention of over staying its welcome with a bunch of seasons, I can't help but think they blew their load too fast. And in a way that strikes me as rushed and inconsistent with the overall feel of the show. Homeland has taken a pretty deliberate, slow take on intelligence - this is not really a spy show about twists, cut corners, or multiple moments that make you question the believability. Yet season two has already thrown that blueprint out the window in both episodes - first with a seemingly rushed decision by the CIA to send Carrie on an important mission, and second with her magically finding a carry bag that just so happens to have a usb sown inside, that just so happens to reveal the Brody tape the second it's popped into a computer. A bag that was sitting out on a desk that, which Carrie happened to grab while gunmen stormed the building.

I'd imagine many of Abu Nazir's men knew of the general plan to turn a US soldier, but if pressed none would have definitive evidence. I just can't accept that a member of Nazir's high command would simply have that video out in the open.

But anyway, back to the plot: now Saul has seemingly definitive evidence that Carrie was right.How can Brody possibly explain the video? Did Nazir's men magically smuggle a full US Marine suit to his cave, dress Brody, and make him recite those words? Is there no time mark on the video? I just don't see how this is going to work...

I liked the episode, but the end was just too much for me. I don't like where this season is heading, at all
[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5978 on: October 10, 2012, 05:11:31 AM »
early reviewers have claimed it gets more and more awesome all the way through episode 5, so

calm the fuck down

this season is amazing.

Vertigo

« Reply #5979 on: October 10, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
early reviewers have claimed it gets more and more awesome all the way through episode 5, so

calm the fuck down

this season is amazing.

That could mean anything though.

It could get more awesome but even more dumber. It's really stretching things at the moment. But hasn't done the full on distinguished mentally-challenged fellow jump to 24'esqe stupidity just yet

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #5980 on: October 10, 2012, 10:11:28 AM »
I just found out Homeland is on-demand in HD for Time Warner

guess i know what i'm watching this weekend.

and i forgot to mention that I finished The Walking Dead on Sunday. Just so shocked they turned that show around. The entire season was excellent. The plot was well told. The characters all clicked. Such a diametrically difference in quality from season 1 and 2
nat

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5981 on: October 10, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
It just sounds like more awesome not more dumb.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5982 on: October 10, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »
Whatever. These last two episodes have cut corners and relied on 24-esque coincidences more than all of S1...

cool breeze

« Reply #5983 on: October 11, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
having caught up with breaking bad, I'm pretty confident in saying walt jr is the best character.

Tucah

« Reply #5984 on: October 11, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
[...] The [...] LEAGUE [...]

...season 3 is finally streaming on Netflix, you say?  Why thank you.

I just finished up a rewatch of the series, excited for it to come back tonight.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5985 on: October 11, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
having caught up with breaking bad, I'm pretty confident in saying walt jr is the best character.
you must hate the show :lol

Walt Jr annoys the piss out of me.

Himu

« Reply #5986 on: October 11, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »
WHY WON'T ANYONE TELL ME ANYTHING

MY NAME IS FLYNN

good kid though
IYKYK

Tucah

« Reply #5987 on: October 11, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
Walt Jr is awful.

He does get one thing right though: breakfast >>> other meals

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5988 on: October 11, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »
Speaking of Walt Jr, am I the only one who thinks

speculation
he'll die in a car crash?
[close]

Robo

« Reply #5989 on: October 11, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »
I figured the same thing.  Seems so obviously foreshadowed that it probably won't happen quite like that, though (if anything happens at all).

I just saw the trailer for the new episode of Always Sunny.  Haley Joel Osment looks just like Fat Mac; it's uncanny.
obo

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5990 on: October 11, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
Caught up on Downton Abbey over the last week. This show is pretty good. Probably my favorite character is the Lord Granthem's mother but Daisy is also sickeningly adorable.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5991 on: October 11, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
I'd love to get your opinion on S1 v S2 of Downton Abbey.

etiolate

« Reply #5992 on: October 11, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
Belatedly watched the final few episode of the last Wilfred season. Such a mindfuck show. I do feel the way they handled Amanda kind of made parts of the season feel pointless.

cool breeze

« Reply #5993 on: October 11, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »
you must hate the show :lol

Walt Jr annoys the piss out of me.

the show is excellent.  the only part I really disliked were those hispanic terminator twins.

I just like that Flynn's the only innocent character...mostly.

"Son, I cook meth....I mean, uh, I have a gambling problem."
"Go dad! Bring home that cheddar! NOW BUY ME A MUSTANG!"
[close]

And Steve Gomez.  But Steve doesn't age rapidly in 'only one year.'

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5994 on: October 12, 2012, 01:00:19 AM »
I'd love to get your opinion on S1 v S2 of Downton Abbey.

Well I blazed through it in like a week but season 2 focused a lot more on things other than inheritance which was a nice change, but it was also way more depressing. It does feel like they jumped the shark a little with Sybil going off with Branson (and having her father's blessing). I do hope they either kill off Bates or stop shitting all over him by the end of the third season.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #5995 on: October 13, 2012, 11:17:26 AM »
watching Homeland

SHIT RANDALL FLAGG IS THE VICE PRESIDENT?
nat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5996 on: October 13, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
I take it no one watched the new Always Sunny lol

It was...very meh. I knew something was off as I watched the cold open...and it just wasn't funny. There were a few funny moments later but nothing major. Overall it lacked the almost improvisational level of freshness the show usually has, even when it's average. It felt very forced

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5997 on: October 13, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »
Is it true that Danny De Vito basically fucked the idea of the show? And it bobsleighed slowly downhill after season one?
:{]

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #5998 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
Is it true that Danny De Vito basically fucked the idea of the show? And it bobsleighed slowly downhill after season one?

I was pissed when they added De Vito after S1, and I think S1 is the best, but S2 and S3 were still amazing. After that I feel like it's become more and more of a crapshoot, but it can still be funnier than pretty much anything else (D.E.N.N.I.S. System, Jersey Shore ep).
AMC

Himu

« Reply #5999 on: October 13, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
you gotta pay the toll
IYKYK