Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083665 times)

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #9960 on: September 24, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
People that sympathized with Walt :kobeyuck

I think that scene was basically "if you sympathized with Walt, you might need help".  In fact they should have flashed numbers people could call for treatment at the bottom of the screen.
vin

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9961 on: September 24, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »
The character building in Breaking Bad is so good that Walt has to explicitly admit in the last episode or three that he did all that he did because he liked it and not because he had to do it because this belabored point was lost on so much of the audience.
Agreed.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9962 on: September 24, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
S3 of Breaking Bad is god tier tv and is definitely better than S4.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9963 on: September 24, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »
I forget, is that most of the Gus plot?  Or is Gus season 4
püp

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9964 on: September 24, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
I don't need shit happening every episode :what I stanned Carnivale ffs

Niccas need to stop claiming people are plebes because they don't think something is good, or that they need shootbang instead of depth. Especially if they're defending Breaking Bad of all things :heh
reckt

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9965 on: September 24, 2014, 07:43:13 PM »
I was actually talking to Bebpo, I don't pay much attention to your posts and I had to look back to see if you'd actually said something this page :heh
vin

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9966 on: September 24, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
:pacspit taco
reckt

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9967 on: September 24, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »
Breaking Bad fanboys, specifically Walter White apologizers, really make me want to reconsider my enjoyment of the show. I know two Breaking Bad stans who don't like The Wire because "I can't relate to protagonists who sell drugs."

:beli
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:26:24 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #9968 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
Blame misaimed fandom on the writers, brehs.

It is not an... insubstantial contingent--who else is to blame but those who crafted the narrative?

:dead @ Steve's hotline idea.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9969 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »

Niccas need to stop claiming people are plebes because they don't think something is good, or that they need shootbang instead of depth. Especially if they're defending Breaking Bad of all things :heh

Man, I loved Carnivale.  :'(

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #9970 on: September 24, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
My Walter hate started in Season 2 when he lied to Skylar after his "fugue state". Fuck Walt.
reckt

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9971 on: September 24, 2014, 08:50:22 PM »
My Walter hate started in Season 2 when he lied to Skylar after his "fugue state". Fuck Walt.

Part of why I can't really fuck with most of s5 is my Walt hate was all time high that it was actually messing with my enjoyment of the show.  Then the last few episodes of the series become almost like a pity part for him.

:pacspit

I fucking hate how this show ended brehs. HATE.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9972 on: September 24, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »
Breaking Bad fanboys, specifically Walter White apologizers, really make me want to reconsider my enjoyment of the show. I know two Breaking Bad stans who don't like The Wire because "I can't relate to protagonists who sell drugs."

:beli
Anyone who doesn't like The Wire is straight up a fucking moron.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #9973 on: September 25, 2014, 01:50:31 AM »
Finally watched Gotham. I laughed out loud when Gordon went to visit his girlfriend, and she lives in a clocktower. Because every DC show has to have a clocktower in it.  :lol
WDW

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #9974 on: September 25, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »
Sleepy Hollow just went right into crazy mode from the get go, didn't it?

Faking It has revealed that one of it's characters is intersex.  It's certainly becoming one of the more inclusive shows on television.

Almost done w/ You're The Worst and I'll be sad to see it go.
Tonya

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #9975 on: September 25, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
i'm watching Rick and Morty and it's the most hilarious thing i've ever seen, i haven't had such a good time watching a show since forever, it's about a drunk crazy scientist called rick kinda reminiscing of doc from back to the future and his shy,clumsy 14 year old nephew called morty... the doctor knows how to make portal to alternate dimensions so he forces his nephew to go together with him on wacky adventures as his sidekick/errand boy, the scenario are all incredibly distinguished mentally-challenged and it's simply impossible to guess what happens next, there's the occasional dirty joke (but it's never brought to south park level) the occasional reference, and a lot of surreal humor and it's especialy hilarious to see morty being forced to do anything by rick as morty is a complete anxious trainwreck often stuttering everything he says and rick is basicaly an unreasonable psychopath

go give it a watch if you haven't
<----

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #9976 on: September 25, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »

Man, I loved Carnivale.  :'(

if you stanned Carnivale then you don't even need things to happen every season

EDIT: Rick and Morty is good, the Cronenberg episode is God-tier
乱学者

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #9977 on: September 25, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
The Knick is some cray good shit.
I loved it when the black doctor smugly mean mugged the shit out of the white doctor when his secret blood sucking invention was discovered.
<コ:彡

Dennis

« Reply #9978 on: September 25, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »
Season premiere of Person of Interest: B+

Shaw continues to be too hot for words.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #9979 on: September 25, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
Watched the first 2 episodes of Arrow on Netflix

It's not perfect but I'm interested.

"Laurel" though?  :kobeyuck

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #9980 on: September 25, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »
arrow gets better as it goes along

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9981 on: September 25, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »
arrow gets better as it goes along

I found the opposite to be true and after Karakand decided to spoil the first season ending I couldn't finish it.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #9982 on: September 25, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
i'm watching Rick and Morty and it's the most hilarious thing i've ever seen, i haven't had such a good time watching a show since forever, it's about a drunk crazy scientist called rick kinda reminiscing of doc from back to the future and his shy,clumsy 14 year old nephew called morty... the doctor knows how to make portal to alternate dimensions so he forces his nephew to go together with him on wacky adventures as his sidekick/errand boy, the scenario are all incredibly distinguished mentally-challenged and it's simply impossible to guess what happens next, there's the occasional dirty joke (but it's never brought to south park level) the occasional reference, and a lot of surreal humor and it's especialy hilarious to see morty being forced to do anything by rick as morty is a complete anxious trainwreck often stuttering everything he says and rick is basicaly an unreasonable psychopath

go give it a watch if you haven't
magus, you're really over-*belch*e-explaining the point, magus. You're m-making the s-show sound l-l-less interesting, magus. J-just a hundred years rick and morty rick and morty a hundred years dot com morty

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #9983 on: September 25, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Z Nation is cheesy, low-budget as fuck, and knows it, and is vastly more entertaining than Walking Dead
sup

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9984 on: September 25, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Z Nation is cheesy, low-budget as fuck, and knows it, and is vastly more entertaining than Walking Dead

The Walking Dead wishes it could be Z Nation. I mean the show opens with a fucking...I won't even spoil it. Zombie somehow still alive but totally caught up in the wheel well in episode two was hilarious too.

Himu

« Reply #9985 on: September 25, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »
Bill Cosby on Colbert :rofl
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9986 on: September 25, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
Running off to The Internet Store for Z-Nation. Thanks for the tip.

Himu

« Reply #9987 on: September 25, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
You guys need to see the Cosby and Colbert interview from last night. Had tears in my eyes.
IYKYK

Kshow

« Reply #9988 on: September 26, 2014, 01:14:01 AM »
z-nation is indeed hilarious. Syfy might have the first banger they've had since BSG

I jus...   Jus, can't!   

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #9989 on: September 26, 2014, 01:45:18 AM »
Defiance is really funny, so if Z-Nation is getting rep it's probably even better.

Either that or no one watches Defiance, which is perfectly understandable.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9990 on: September 26, 2014, 06:36:12 AM »
Defiance is really funny, so if Z-Nation is getting rep it's probably even better.

I watch Defiance. I love Syfy cheese.

Kara

« Reply #9991 on: September 26, 2014, 07:01:50 AM »
Don't you mean shtako. :smug

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #9992 on: September 26, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »
Defiance is a bunch of shtako, but the good kind of shtako.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9993 on: September 26, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
One of my favorite things on Defiance is how they'll say something in that language, with subtitles displayed, then say the exact same thing in english. Even though it'll be Stahma and Datak talking...and they both know the language.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #9994 on: September 26, 2014, 09:41:40 AM »
Did anyone else watch Black-ish?  Seemed to be a fine family comedy to me.  First episode was pretty funny considering it's a comedy pilot. 
Very happy for the return of The Goldbergs.
Finished You're the Worst and it was damn good.  Really curious to see if it continues and if it does what direction it takes
Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #9995 on: September 26, 2014, 09:59:40 AM »
I couldn't believe the amount of times they said "black" in the Black-ish pilot...

I honestly thought it was terrible. Still gonna give it a few more eps before I completely pass judgment on it.

South Park and Key & Peele's season premieres were both great though.

Kara

« Reply #9996 on: September 26, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
One of my favorite things on Defiance is how they'll say something in that language, with subtitles displayed, then say the exact same thing in english. Even though it'll be Stahma and Datak talking...and they both know the language.

It's like the code switching in Firefly / Serenity but even more incomprehensible in how it evolved (thinking from inside the universe).

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #9997 on: September 26, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »
I couldn't believe the amount of times they said "black" in the Black-ish pilot...

I honestly thought it was terrible. Still gonna give it a few more eps before I completely pass judgment on it.

South Park and Key & Peele's season premieres were both great though.

i missed K&P's audience banter bits.  I think the car talk True Detective bits were a bit of a miss for a transition device
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9998 on: September 26, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »

I paid full-price for Defiance's season pass, and haven't finished the first season. I can't figure out why it's so uninteresting. It's no Farscape, for sure.

Kara

« Reply #9999 on: September 26, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »
It's uninteresting because the setting of the show is a physical manifestation of "But what if both sides are wrong?" (even down to its historical origins as a city, it being founded by soldiers from both sides of a war who were tired of both sides being wrong... subtlety y'all) and the subsequent conflicts covered in the episodes do nothing to erode that uninteresting state.

Spoilers:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
One of the "wrong" sides currently occupies the city (again, subtlety y'all) and the chief antagonist after the former mayor dies is a criminal who funds the other "wrong" side with their wealth.
[close]

At least South Park is ostensibly just a suburb.

etiolate

« Reply #10000 on: September 26, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »
I really didn't dig the whole mystical part of Defiance with the girl. It could have been a sci-fi Deadwood where you have two sides that are wrong, but not because of idealogy or anything. But because they'll both be assholes in different ways to stay an independent city.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10001 on: September 26, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »
Did anyone else watch Black-ish?  Seemed to be a fine family comedy to me.  First episode was pretty funny considering it's a comedy pilot. 
Very happy for the return of The Goldbergs.
Finished You're the Worst and it was damn good.  Really curious to see if it continues and if it does what direction it takes
I laughed a couple times. I think its main problem is that the lead actor is kinda terrible and it feels like a '90s UPN sitcom (remember when that was mostly all black comedies? and they weren't written by Tyler Perry?) in 2014, which means that while it means well its issues seem to be feel a little dated. It was a lot of "black people do things like THIS and white people do things like THIS", especially the tired "my kid must play basketball instead of field hockey (p.s. way to find a superbly unpopular sport for white people... why not have the kid do lacrosse? it's super white and actually enjoyable to watch)" which they cleverly sidestepped by having the kid do field hockey just to get girls.

Also, it'd be nice to have a gay character in an ostensibly black sitcom, but I guess that's too much. Diana Ross' daughter killed all of her lines, though.

Kara

« Reply #10002 on: September 26, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »
I really didn't dig the whole mystical part of Defiance with the girl. It could have been a sci-fi Deadwood where you have two sides that are wrong, but not because of idealogy or anything. But because they'll both be assholes in different ways to stay an independent city.

It's like this weird technological mysticism too. Steampunk Biker Irathian only started tripping balls because of a computer. Adopted Irathian Daughter's possessed by a computer... like at least go full BSG stupid with this shit if you're going to make me suffer it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10003 on: September 26, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »
Will say though, the shot got significantly better in it's second season. It looked like they got a significant budget increase (maybe because the game tanked and they aren't tied to it anymore) and seemed to be willing to go a bit darker.

etiolate

« Reply #10004 on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »
New Agents of Shield started off pretty strong. They dropped all the hacktivist's whedony jargon.

Started The Honourable Woman. It's pretty intense so far.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10005 on: September 28, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Rewatching King of the Hill, such an underrated show.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10006 on: September 29, 2014, 11:12:26 AM »
Cat-assed the last two seasons of 30 Rock. I’d seen s1~5, but had not bit on 6 and 7. I’d seen the series finale, and felt like I’d missed a bunch -- but most of the big stuff is really only set up one or two episodes before the finale. Anyway, TINA FEY IS AWESOME.  I really love this show.

Next, I’m going to see if I can get through the end of my s1 Defiance... (peeks) I’ve only got two episodes to go, and it just seems like such a chore. I want to like this show, but they make it so hard.

Also, Jack of All Trades takes a few giant strides toward the risqué in its latter half. The banter between Jack and Emilia becomes more laden with double entendre, and for some reason the episodes get a lot more skimpy. There’s an episode where they visit an exclusive S&M resort which turns out to be run by the Marquis de Sade. It’s frustrating, because it was easy to watch this show with my grade-school son in the room, but now that it’s shown less innocent tendencies, I don’t feel at ease letting him watch it unmonitored.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #10007 on: September 29, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:05:41 PM by Stoney Mason »

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #10008 on: September 29, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
The Strain... the only interesting element are the vampire SWATS.

Edit: Help! I can't make any posts!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:50:29 PM by Squiddy »

hampster

« Reply #10009 on: September 29, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
The new Once Upon a Time season started and their Elsa isn't bad but they really nailed Anna

I doubt the plot this season will end up making any sense. "We need to change the book!"  :derp
Zzz

Kshow

« Reply #10010 on: September 29, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »
I'm watching it too. Damn good shOw!  What your guys are opinions on the best animated shows.
I love me some,
Koth
American dad
Bobs burgers
South Park
Futurama
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:06:12 PM by Kshow »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10011 on: September 30, 2014, 12:20:22 AM »
I took that L and watched The Simpsons/Family Guy Cross over. Yep, it was garbage.

I actually kinda liked it but I took it for what it was. Basically a mashup of post-relevant simpsons and Family Guy. I mean it felt more like a Family Guy episode with the simpsons sprinkled in but I thought it was about as well executed as something like that would/could be. It was entirely gratuitous and a gimmick but that's not any different from any Family Guy episode so it fit right in.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10012 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:31 AM »
I'm watching it too. Damn good shOw!  What your guys are opinions on the best animated shows.
I love me some,
Koth
American dad
Bobs burgers
South Park
Futurama

Boondocks
Home Movies
Adventures of Rick and Morty
The Life & Times of Tim
Archer
First 8 or 9 seasons of the Simpsons

All have good stuff in them.

Kshow

« Reply #10013 on: September 30, 2014, 12:38:07 AM »
I love me some,
Koth
American dad
Bobs burgers
South Park
Futurama

Boondocks
Home Movies
The Life & Times of Tim
Archer

I feel ya on all of those except for Simpsons, and the life and times of Tim. Only because I haven't seen Tim, and not enough Simpsons. Can't wait for more Rick and Morty! Anyone wrapping up the SOA ride?  Once I have few seasons under my belt, I usually watch the remaining. Even if I'm not that much of a fan.  Weird I know..  Sameness dexter..

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #10014 on: September 30, 2014, 12:48:09 AM »
Edit: Help! I can't make any posts!

NAB WAI
乱学者

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #10015 on: September 30, 2014, 02:39:01 AM »
I love me some,
Koth
American dad
Bobs burgers
South Park
Futurama

Boondocks
Home Movies
The Life & Times of Tim
Archer

Clone High
Invader Zim
Futurama
Venture Brothers
Harvey Birdman
WDW

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10016 on: September 30, 2014, 03:34:05 AM »
I fucking love Venture Bros. but its lowkey fucked up there have only been five seasons (and some of them short) when I've been watching it since it started in 2004. I was a sophmore in highschool. I've literally grown with this show.

It's the only Adult Swim show I actually care enough about to own every season (so far) on dvd and bluray through
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10017 on: September 30, 2014, 05:29:04 AM »
I fucking love Venture Bros. but its lowkey fucked up there have only been five seasons (and some of them short) when I've been watching it since it started in 2004. I was a sophmore in highschool. I've literally grown with this show.

It's the only Adult Swim show I actually care enough about to own every season (so far) on dvd and bluray through
[close]

I’ve only bought the first two seasons, but I’ve watched them a bunch. Great stuff.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10018 on: September 30, 2014, 05:37:02 AM »

"What the fuck is that thing?

I do love how we'll be able to buy Vbros shot glasses within the next year or so though if SDCC is to be believed.

:rejoice

God, I went from not being interested in drinking at all, to being down to drink but legally can't, to legally can, to legally can but probably drinking too much in the span of time it took them to make 5 god damn seasons.

I can actually pin down key points in my development as an adult and relationships with girls to seasons of VBROS. 

:neogaf
:goty2
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:41:55 AM by toku »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #10019 on: September 30, 2014, 06:32:56 AM »

more proof that the guest-artist drawn couch bits are now the only good thing about the simpsons.