Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083860 times)

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #10260 on: November 17, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »
finished up true crime over the weekend. woody is da gawd
Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn in the second season :brazilcry
vin

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10261 on: November 17, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »
finished up true crime over the weekend. woody is da gawd
Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn in the second season :brazilcry
I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt but I'm not impressed by the casting, to say the least. We'll see. Farrell can be great with the right material, whereas I have no faith in Vince Vaughn.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10262 on: November 17, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ptc-blasts-fx-sons-anarchy-749548

WTF, seriously WHY are ANY PARENTS letting their kids watch Sons of Anarchy? Parents must, absolutely, be involved in the kind of media their kids are accessing. It’s a cable-only channel, not subject to FCC rules for broadcast TV, and is preceded by an “MA” rating. Not only that, but we get into the same old bullshit about Americans being fine with watching someone’s brains being blown our, or flesh seared from their bones, but suddenly we’re up in arms when sex is involved. What a load of horse shit.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10263 on: November 19, 2014, 04:08:45 PM »
why is Jane the virgin narrated by Fernando from gta
pcp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10264 on: November 20, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
Latest South park with illegal underground magic the gathering fights :lol

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10265 on: November 22, 2014, 12:55:11 AM »
been watching Dr. Who with the gf. On the second season with Tennant. Enjoying it reasonably enough.

The episode where people are on this motorway and they spend years and years on it and only get a few miles was a surprisingly clever little concept for a dystopian sci-fi short story.

We also started watching Torchwood at the same time (she knows how they sync up). It's funny watching the super family friendly Dr. Who then switch to the ultra adult Torchwood right after.
nat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10266 on: November 23, 2014, 01:34:49 AM »
Season 4 finale is the real series finale so stop watching after that.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10267 on: November 23, 2014, 01:55:15 AM »
showtime shows tend to drop in quality precipitously after their first season, yeah. Most people like to say Dexter went to shit after it's fourth but the first season is the only good to great one. In part largely because it had the best antagonist (ice cream truck killer), they were was no attempt to normalize Dexter and they actually shot it in south florida (at least a bit of it was).

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10268 on: November 23, 2014, 03:19:04 AM »
only real exception is The Borgias and that was cancelled before the meatiest Borgia drama could be used for its season 4.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10269 on: November 23, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »
The Borgias is ok. Haven't watched it in awhile, I think I'm on the finale of S1. Rome is about to be attacked iirc. It's not that interesting outside of Jeremy Irons.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #10270 on: November 23, 2014, 11:26:26 AM »
Season 2 is awesome.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10271 on: November 24, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »
Season 3 of Californication started off well but got pretty bad in the half way mark. Why is this show so revered again? There's still some entertaining parts but man it get's too dumb too many times now. Dumb fun is fine, but flat out stupid? No.

I don't think it's revered, people just came to accept the stupid. If you think it's bad right now though, trust me you want to stop at season 4 finale like I said.

Cheddahz

« Reply #10272 on: November 25, 2014, 10:30:29 AM »
Started watching the sixth season of Parks & Recreation and this shit sucks compared to the first three seasons

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #10273 on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
I'm home by myself tonight (woot woot) until late. Give me something good TV series wise on netflix I should que up guys.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10274 on: November 25, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
Have you watched Mad Men yet?

I've caught like 2 episodes total. Maybe.
YMMV

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #10275 on: November 25, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »
The amount of quality TV out there these days is overwhelming. Watching and loving Transparent tight now.
zzzzz

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10276 on: November 25, 2014, 09:54:49 PM »
The amount of quality TV out there these days is overwhelming. Watching and loving Transparent tight now.

Started this and it's great. Taking it slow though because it can get super real, super fast and not just with gender issues.  They had a pilot for a cop show earlier this year too that I loved and am glad they picked it up for an entire season:

Very "calm" meditative style cop show. Liked the pilot a lot.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #10277 on: November 26, 2014, 02:21:09 AM »

Started this and it's great. Taking it slow though because it can get super real, super fast and not just with gender issues.

I, on the other hand, have no restraint and binged the whole season. Super, super good stuff.
zzzzz

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #10278 on: November 28, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »
Been watching Helix this week.

It's a fun little sci-fi show. I like it's twist on "infected" people and the setting and story are cool to watch.

There's some fucking stupid contrivances here and there, but they don't get in the way too much.
nat

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10279 on: November 28, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
Been watching the Cosmos on netflix a little bit. That shit about black holes blew my mind....shit.
YMMV

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #10280 on: November 28, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »
Watched the first episode of Banshee. Seems as dumb as it is cool. I'll probably stick with it.
zzzzz

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10281 on: November 28, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
Watched the first episode of Banshee. Seems as dumb as it is cool. I'll probably stick with it.

Some of the best fight choreography on tv (especially s2). Definitely stick with it if you like action.

El Babua

« Reply #10282 on: November 28, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
This shit has four seasons though?

Yep, and I believe it was cancelled and then subsequently revived after each one.  :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10283 on: November 28, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
Watching The Killing right now. It's decent but I can't shake the Wow This is Twin Peaks feeling from it. Honestly, I wrote "Watching Twin Peaks" and had to go back and delete what I typed.

This shit has four seasons though?

The last two seasons switches up the case iirc and are supposed to be better/good. I never finished the first season though because I was done with the fakouts and red herrings like six episodes in.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10284 on: December 02, 2014, 01:33:41 AM »
Agents of SHIELD: Watched a random episode tonight. Pretty much EVERYTHING was part of an arc about which I knew nothing. I saw the first three episodes of season 1, which were a typical pilot and two monster-of-the-week, but tonight was a heap of references to movies, comics, and probably earlier SHIELD eps. I felt nicely lost -- is it worth catching up?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10285 on: December 02, 2014, 03:04:08 AM »
Agents of SHIELD: Watched a random episode tonight. Pretty much EVERYTHING was part of an arc about which I knew nothing. I saw the first three episodes of season 1, which were a typical pilot and two monster-of-the-week, but tonight was a heap of references to movies, comics, and probably earlier SHIELD eps. I felt nicely lost -- is it worth catching up?

It's okay but does improve a lot towards the end of the first season/season two. If you're looking for something to watch in that scifi tier why not?

Tasty

« Reply #10286 on: December 02, 2014, 03:16:36 AM »

Yes. s2 has been great so far.

Season 2 of Whedon shows :bow2

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10287 on: December 02, 2014, 03:27:56 AM »
Thanks!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10288 on: December 02, 2014, 03:31:48 AM »
If you haven't, be sure to watch the second Captain America movie. It kind of acts like a big comic book crossover event that starts and catapaults the last arc in season 1.

Himu

« Reply #10289 on: December 03, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »
The Flash

Last week my DVR fucked up and I missed last weeks episode so I watched it on hulu with my bf.

So wait, let me get this straight. Barry loses his powers not through sheer physical trauma of being electrocuted at a ridiculous rate, but because he has the willies? The entire episode he shows lots of confidence and strength and will and a complete lack of care for himself in order to help others, but he lost his powers because he was scared? What? This show is fucking stupid.

This show just isn't nearly as good as Arrow. It's fun, but its plodding nature, villain of the week nature, lack of season wide story arcs or villains, lack of story revelations, and poor character development make for some really, really repetitive television. And the revelations that ARE made, like the aforementioned "it's mental, not physical" from last weeks episode are incredibly dumb. It's just not that good, and I can't believe it's by the same people who made Arrow.

Here's hoping Arrow vs Flash kicks ass.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10290 on: December 03, 2014, 12:09:55 AM »
Yeah, those two are season wide arcs, but it's quite possible that the person who killed his mom arc could be something else entirely. Dr Wells could be in the same boat. Either way, it felt like Arrow s1 revealed things at a much faster pace, and it didn't trip over itself while doing so.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10291 on: December 03, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »
Arrow is just a really watchable show. Still haven't seen any episodes of The Flash; my tv watching time is at a premium, I generally prefer interactive forms of entertainment; if I'm gonna be a passive observer I tend to prefer live performances.
yar

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #10292 on: December 03, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »
Fuck GoT

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Joffrey :(
[close]
serge

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #10293 on: December 03, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
Fuck GoT

Joffrey :(
[close]

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT????

God I hope he's dead
[close]
YMMV

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #10294 on: December 03, 2014, 07:41:20 PM »
Guys Black Mirror is on Netflix.  Guys.  Seriously.  Watch it.
vin

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #10295 on: December 03, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »
Guys Black Mirror is on Netflix.  Guys.  Seriously.  Watch it.

Is good.
zzzzz

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #10296 on: December 04, 2014, 07:16:49 AM »
Speaking of Black Mirror

Tonya

TVC15

« Reply #10297 on: December 04, 2014, 06:50:06 PM »
:o I did not know about this! Thanks for the heads up! You brightened a bad day!
serge

cool breeze

« Reply #10298 on: December 05, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
the Arrow and Flash crossover episodes were entertaining.  I like how each felt like their own show with the other character as a guest, rather than finding some middle ground for two episodes.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10299 on: December 05, 2014, 01:58:37 PM »
Ya I liked how the comieded up the arrow characters for Flash.   Also Flash doing the samon ladder was great.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #10300 on: December 05, 2014, 04:27:20 PM »
black mirror is awesome
萌え~

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10301 on: December 06, 2014, 12:20:24 AM »
Penny Dreadful

:o

Not going to pretend the show is past a bit of corniness, but it hits highs that shows dealing with this subject matter really never do. Eva Green is a tour de fource, and Timothy Dalton kills every scene.

:whew
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:29:23 AM by Mamacint »
___

TVC15

« Reply #10302 on: December 06, 2014, 01:56:16 AM »
Alright, GoT is awesome. I'm all caught up. One particular scene I saw seriously gave me a palpable sexual feeling.
serge

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #10303 on: December 06, 2014, 02:15:02 AM »
Penny Dreadful

Not going to pretend the show is past a bit of corniness, but it hits highs that shows dealing with this subject matter really never do. Eva Green is a tour de fource, and Timothy Dalton kills every scene.

dat ghost scene amirite
萌え~

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10304 on: December 06, 2014, 02:35:45 AM »
Penny Dreadful

Yeah the show was completely awesome. Eva Green deserve some kind of Emmy. The reveal with Frankenstein was pretty awesome, but I was cool on the creature afterwards. I was also not stoked on the finale, but it was better than it might have been.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #10305 on: December 06, 2014, 06:55:56 AM »
Speaking of comic shows, this weeks Constantine was probably the best yet and really good even if it did have to do quite a bit of on the nose stuff for standard network viewership to follow along. (Since they didn't know beforehand that only a few people, probably hardcores, are watching it.)

This show really needed to be on cable though.

A lot of the budget saving/self-censorship makes some of the shots better by implying far worse.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10306 on: December 06, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
Alright, GoT is awesome. I'm all caught up. One particular scene I saw seriously gave me a palpable sexual feeling.
The rape scene in S4?
:beli

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10307 on: December 06, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
Speaking of comic shows, this weeks Constantine was probably the best yet and really good even if it did have to do quite a bit of on the nose stuff for standard network viewership to follow along. (Since they didn't know beforehand that only a few people, probably hardcores, are watching it.)

This show really needed to be on cable though.

A lot of the budget saving/self-censorship makes some of the shots better by implying far worse.

It and the episode where his friend comes to town are absolutely the best episodes so far. More of this stuff and less of the weak monster of the week stuff that barely affects Zed and John.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10308 on: December 06, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »
Agreed. My parents didn't seem to care much about it, however I have multiple friends who were really turned off by that shit. I think they would have given it a pass if it was further explored later...but instead the two characters go about their business and interact in later episodes as if nothing had happened.

That's on Benioff and Weiss. The director had said he didn't believe it was a rape scene, and I really got the impression it was later edited in a way that wasn't his vision. I really can't stand those dudes and constantly roll my eyes at what they're doing.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10309 on: December 06, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »
Agreed. My parents didn't seem to care much about it, however I have multiple friends who were really turned off by that shit. I think they would have given it a pass if it was further explored later...but instead the two characters go about their business and interact in later episodes as if nothing had happened.

That's on Benioff and Weiss. The director had said he didn't believe it was a rape scene, and I really got the impression it was later edited in a way that wasn't his vision. I really can't stand those dudes and constantly roll my eyes at what they're doing.

lol book nerd

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10310 on: December 06, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
I don't hate on the show because it's not a direct 1:1 adaption. I'm not a book purist, I just like good television. And alas does shit that just bugs me in that regard. It's not a bad show, it's good. I just feel like it could be a lot better.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10311 on: December 06, 2014, 06:45:55 PM »
Bet the rapist demographic like him better for it. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10312 on: December 06, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »
Plus Jaime is supposed to go from your #1 most hated character to a guy you kind of can't help liking. Committing rape halfway through that process really doesn't help.

Probably the biggest thing it hurts. By time we hit that scene you're supposed to be on #teamjaimie or at the very least like him way more than Cersei.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10313 on: December 07, 2014, 02:51:38 AM »
I don't even like using words like "supposed" since it's an adaption but at the same time...what purpose did that scene serve character wise? I'd imagine they wanted to reinforce that Jaime is still a grey character but in the process they threw all his progress into the bushes. Why? Stupid as fuck. I'm telling you, they really think the audience is distinguished mentally-challenged, and also are willing to do just about anything if it generates a juicy or shocking scene.

My parents barely know anyone's names outside of Khalessi and "The Dwarf" yet can follow each episode's plot pretty well. If they can anyone can. Trust the audience. You don't need a wack fight scene to entertain people... They're already entertained by the characters and environments.

Himu

« Reply #10314 on: December 07, 2014, 03:19:55 AM »
The scene in the church is awful as a Jamie fan.

The Flash seems to be hitting its stride. And that crossover fucking rocked.

I love Agents of Shield! Joss Whedon :lawd

Going to watch Black Mirror!
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10315 on: December 07, 2014, 03:51:57 AM »
The scene in the church is awful as a Jamie fan.

The Flash seems to be hitting its stride. And that crossover fucking rocked.

I love Agents of Shield! Joss Whedon :lawd

Going to watch Black Mirror!

BM varies from episode to episode but "Fifteen Million Merits" and "The Entire History of You" were completely devastating to me. They're the last two episodes of season 1.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #10316 on: December 07, 2014, 03:20:46 PM »
id say fifteen million merits is the most depressing one

萌え~

Himu

« Reply #10317 on: December 07, 2014, 07:08:03 PM »
Agents of Shield is totally my new Chuck: comes on Mondays, nerd show, nerd jokes, agent and spy shit, strong women who  :rock
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #10318 on: December 07, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »
As a DC fan, it's weird there are four decent-to-good DC shows on (Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Constantine) and the only show I actually watch with regularity is SHIELD.

Dat MCU/Whedon superstar tag team.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #10319 on: December 07, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
I'm just glad I'm excited to watch new episodes where in the first season it felt like an obligation if I wanted the full cinematic universe experience.