Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2083860 times)

etiolate

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #15180 on: May 13, 2018, 12:19:59 AM »
I find it odd that Game of Thrones got so big while Expanse did not. They're both long investment, twisting plots with politics and strange worlds. I think that sort  of approach is just a very rare success and a good percentage of success is luck. It's not like Expanse lacks for actors or has any obvious flaw. Maybe the one commercial flaw is the lack of big epic or controversial scenes. Some space battles to share and that's it.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #15181 on: May 13, 2018, 12:34:25 AM »
I've yet to get around to Game of Thrones. I was initially surprised when Game of Thrones crossed over so much to casual people also but I think casual people like the shocking nature of it and the who's gonna die aspect of it every week. At least that's what they tell me. That isn't a shot at Game of Thrones. I'm sure its a really good show. More what I'm saying is that it feels like Game of Thrones maybe has more spectacle than Expanse although not having seen it, and not wanting to get spoiled, I'm guessing.

My kneejerk reaction is that slow talky sci-fi always struggles crossing over to casuals. That being said, Westworld is pretty slow and talky itself and seems to be popular although the theme isn't space stuff and its on a more prestigious channel like HBO and it has a gratuitous amount of sex and violence baked in to try to lure audience.

I think being on SyFy network also hurts. I don't think casual people take that channel very seriously or are aware of it.

Ultimately I think the slowness, being on SyFy, and the lack of promotion is what killed it. I was vaguely aware of the show when it first launched but honestly completely forgot about it until people started talking about it in this thread.

Also let me be clear that I adore the slowness of it. It's slowness done right. It's slow because its showing multiple sides and building out its story. But I understand how that's a turn off to casual people who always seem to complain anytime crazy shit isn't exploding on the screen every week.

etiolate

« Reply #15182 on: May 13, 2018, 12:37:41 AM »
Yes, spectacle is the right word. GoT has far more spectacle and The Expanse lacks that for the passing audience giving it a quick try.

Even Farscape had good spectacle. It provided an interesting and truly alien world, with sexuality and villains.  The Expanse's story is based around something truly alien, but its a very rare sci fi setting int hat it's a near future and singular solar. It doesn't push the world beyond what we already know until the unknown hits.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15183 on: May 13, 2018, 12:48:26 AM »
I felt more empathy when this random one off, one episode character died in expanse than anybody who has "died" in Westworld. When you create a believable world with real stakes and gravitas that happens. Death feels like Death because the world feels real. Once again not trying to diss Westworld. I like that show. But its why doing violence just for violence sakes is meaningless to me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15184 on: May 13, 2018, 05:16:53 AM »
That scene surprised the shit out of me. I felt fucked up afterward.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15185 on: May 13, 2018, 12:14:15 PM »
All the wailing and gnashing of teeth in this thread over The Expanse getting canceled has convinced me to use stupid Amazon Streaming again. I think I knew it existed but I hadn't seen much buzz about it til it got axed

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15186 on: May 13, 2018, 12:25:47 PM »
I never watched the Expanse because it’s a Syfy product and those are universally ass.
serge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15187 on: May 13, 2018, 01:14:46 PM »
Oh my god the Prime video app has comments from imdb scrubs pointing out continuity errors built into the UI :lol what a shitty fucking app

Cryo

« Reply #15188 on: May 13, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8j5l9q/rumors_of_a_possible_meeting_between_alcon_and/

plz tweet jeff bezos and remind him that the show deals with content of the same nature as Blue Origin

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15189 on: May 13, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »
Just read the books breh

Cryo

« Reply #15190 on: May 13, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
Just read the books breh
Already have, the show is essentially take 2 of the books as the authors are directly involved with writing and directing, and it's benefiting greatly from having characterizations and events from future books sifted within the events happening on a solar-system wide level in place of novel-centric PoV pacing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:08:56 PM by Cryo »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15191 on: May 13, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »
I can't wait for season 5, when everyone is suddenly 20 years older but still looks exactly the same.

:iface

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15192 on: May 13, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »
Lol @ the HITB stock music showing up in the expanse

Cryo

« Reply #15193 on: May 13, 2018, 11:36:44 PM »
I can't wait for season 5, when everyone is suddenly 20 years older but still looks exactly the same.

:iface
spoilers for book 7 and beyond
will it be considered method acting for the cast if amazon doesn't pick up the show, but the project gets revived 20 years from now?
[close]

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15194 on: May 14, 2018, 12:55:09 AM »
Nice ending for Barry. It gives them a pretty clear opening for S2.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15195 on: May 14, 2018, 01:05:36 AM »
New YJ team

katana  :lawd :rejoice
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15196 on: May 14, 2018, 03:22:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/TheExpanseWR/status/995824152002027521

(shit ain't gonna work but who cares. It makes me feel better to sign pointless petitions!)
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15197 on: May 14, 2018, 03:40:05 AM »
DEW IT

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #15198 on: May 14, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
Agents of Shield has been renewed, albeit with a shorter episode order. But I’ll take what I can get,I was sweating it with how late this renewal came
WDW

etiolate

« Reply #15199 on: May 14, 2018, 05:19:50 PM »
damn that Barry finale

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15200 on: May 14, 2018, 06:29:36 PM »
Agents of Shield has been renewed, albeit with a shorter episode order. But I’ll take what I can get,I was sweating it with how late this renewal came

Will this be the last season, you think?

Cryo

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15202 on: May 14, 2018, 06:58:21 PM »
Its only 13 episodes so probably.  They are past syndication requirements at this point.  Think it might also depend on how successful captain Marvel is.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #15203 on: May 14, 2018, 10:00:40 PM »

Will this be the last season, you think?

Some people think it might move to Disney's streaming service afterwards since it will be set to launch around then, but who knows? If it doesn't I'm inclined to think that will be it though. But people have been predicting its cancellation since season 1, and it keeps getting by.
WDW

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15204 on: May 15, 2018, 03:28:18 AM »
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/996227346167357440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23996227346167357440

:obama

George R.R. Martin
May 12 at 12:00pm ·
Just saw online that SyFy has cancelled THE EXPANSE. Season three is now running, and after that, they are pulling the plug.
It's a damn shame, especially for fans of space science fiction... of which I count myself one.
THE EXPANSE was a terrific show in all regards. It looked magnificent, but that's true of a lot of big budget space shows these days. It was also really well written and well directed, with an amazing and talented cast. That's not always true for some of the other SF shows out there.
There's still a lot of great science fiction on TV right now... WESTWORLD comes to mind... but for hardcore SF geeks like me, there's nothing quite like a space show. Weird worlds, alien protomolecules, gritty asteroid miners, cool spaceships, that's the stuff I was weaned on. (Rocky Jones, anyone?)
THE EXPANSE was the best space show on television, far and away. Nothing else even comes close.
I hope its producers can find another home for it.
If not, then this is a sad day for science fiction.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:15:07 AM by Stoney Mason »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15205 on: May 15, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/996227346167357440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23996227346167357440

:obama

George R.R. Martin
May 12 at 12:00pm ·
Just saw online that SyFy has cancelled THE EXPANSE. Season three is now running, and after that, they are pulling the plug.
It's a damn shame, especially for fans of space science fiction... of which I count myself one.
THE EXPANSE was a terrific show in all regards. It looked magnificent, but that's true of a lot of big budget space shows these days. It was also really well written and well directed, with an amazing and talented cast. That's not always true for some of the other SF shows out there.
There's still a lot of great science fiction on TV right now... WESTWORLD comes to mind... but for hardcore SF geeks like me, there's nothing quite like a space show. Weird worlds, alien protomolecules, gritty asteroid miners, cool spaceships, that's the stuff I was weaned on. (Rocky Jones, anyone?)
THE EXPANSE was the best space show on television, far and away. Nothing else even comes close.
I hope its producers can find another home for it.
If not, then this is a sad day for science fiction.
The Expanse that good it has RR shilling for it? I may actually give it a go.

WestWorld season 2 episode 4: Best episode for this show in a while. Quality stuff here and i hope it stays on this level for the rest of the season.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15206 on: May 15, 2018, 02:14:54 PM »

WestWorld season 2 episode 4: Best episode for this show in a while. Quality stuff here and i hope it stays on this level for the rest of the season.

The books are much better.

And RR Martin comparing Westworld unfavourably to SyFy's Expanse is such a fucked up statement that we could probably get a class-action lawsuit together and sue him for emotional distress.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, Cobra Kai is dogshit that even Netflix wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15207 on: May 15, 2018, 02:16:34 PM »

Also, in case anyone was wondering, Cobra Kai is dogshit that even Netflix wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.
There may not be a more damning insult you can lob at something than this

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15208 on: May 15, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
expants season 1-greatness

season 2-goodness

current season- eh

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15209 on: May 15, 2018, 02:22:55 PM »

The books are much better.

And RR Martin comparing Westworld unfavourably to SyFy's Expanse is such a fucked up statement that we could probably get a class-action lawsuit together and sue him for emotional distress.

There may not be a more damning insult you can lob at something than this

http://www.businessinsider.com/youtube-the-karate-kid-tv-series-sequel-2017-8

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15210 on: May 15, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »
I love the expanse and if it saves the show cool, but yeah that's like the shit triangle of support.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15211 on: May 15, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
I can't abide by anything Patton Oswalt co-signs.

...anything?

Cryo

« Reply #15212 on: May 15, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »

Flying over amazon studios HQ for 4 hours today

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15213 on: May 15, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »
Ok, first two seasons of The Expanse is on int Netflix.

I will be giving this a go tonight.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15214 on: May 15, 2018, 10:45:27 PM »
Hey this show is QUALITY. Damn, why would they cancel it?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #15215 on: May 15, 2018, 11:05:40 PM »
Right? I can’t even name another running Syfy show, so.... what they making room for?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15216 on: May 15, 2018, 11:16:28 PM »
I mean I get why they are a cancelling it. Under the old model it just doesn't work with their level of promotion and that network. It's a show made for the new age of streaming laboring having to try to succeed on the old model.

I can't tell you what day the show airs and what time it airs. I don't consume tv that way anymore. But syfy still needs people to have eyeballs on that nielsen ratings time slot with that being their #1 focus. I was curious so I went to the syfy network and figured I would use their streaming options to just randomly stream episodes through my cable subscription to show my support. You can only stream like the last 5 episodes. It's ridiculous.

Apparently the way their contracts are setup streaming is basically useless to SyFy. They get almost nothing from that.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15217 on: May 15, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
The show has these tiny little gems of moments that come out of nowhere. Like in episode 2 when the two guys are repairing the antenna and he loses the wrench and goes "ah fuck" while the wrench just floats away. That had me dying because there's no buildup to that, they cut to them and he immediately loses it  :rofl  It's very clever writing. I hope it stays like that throughout.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15218 on: May 15, 2018, 11:39:38 PM »
I think being based around a series of novels where a writer has sat and thought about long term plotting and characterization helps out a great deal. They are able to dip in and out of adhering to the books of course but its always clear when you are watching, that there is a long form story taking place and things build around that.

So many shows just make it up as they go along and you can just tell. Nobody is really thinking long term in the majority of those shows. They can't afford to because of television realities.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15219 on: May 16, 2018, 12:18:42 AM »
The show has these tiny little gems of moments that come out of nowhere. Like in episode 2 when the two guys are repairing the antenna and he loses the wrench and goes "ah fuck" while the wrench just floats away. That had me dying because there's no buildup to that, they cut to them and he immediately loses it  :rofl  It's very clever writing. I hope it stays like that throughout.
expants season 1-greatness

season 2-goodness

current season- eh

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15220 on: May 16, 2018, 12:25:14 AM »
what happened to that rachel wood bitch? she was a hotty in the wrestler. now her face is all filled in and gross  :yuck
UPDATE: went and looked at some stills from the wrestler, turns out she had the same horrible filled in face. It was just the make-up and hare hiding it. This batch face been busted  :lol

Stoney Mason

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15222 on: May 16, 2018, 08:14:56 AM »
what happened to that rachel wood bitch? she was a hotty in the wrestler. now her face is all filled in and gross  :yuck
UPDATE: went and looked at some stills from the wrestler, turns out she had the same horrible filled in face. It was just the make-up and hare hiding it. This batch face been busted  :lol

People on restera saying she'd noticeably aged between Westworld season 1 and 2 need their eyes checked, she hasn't changed at all

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15223 on: May 16, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »
I think being based around a series of novels where a writer has sat and thought about long term plotting and characterization helps out a great deal. They are able to dip in and out of adhering to the books of course but its always clear when you are watching, that there is a long form story taking place and things build around that.

So many shows just make it up as they go along and you can just tell. Nobody is really thinking long term in the majority of those shows. They can't afford to because of television realities.
i agree. that's why i can't watch basic cable shit most of the time.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15224 on: May 16, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15225 on: May 16, 2018, 05:51:29 PM »
watching the second season of the Handmaids tale.
A bit more action-y but this is just about as lovingly fucked up as the first season.
🤴

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15226 on: May 16, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
Been watching Showtimes 'Billions'

This is a fantastic modern day cock waving epic. Two dudes, each with different moral compases, escalating a situation to a point of mutual self destruction.
:9

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15227 on: May 16, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
Billions is fun. Some of the writing for the stock guys teeters on the edge of being obnoxious sometimes, but the story is good and interesting enough that it avoids going over the top though. It feels kinda like the writers walked into wherever Aaron Sorkin was writing The Newsroom and started doing his leftover blow.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #15228 on: May 17, 2018, 01:38:12 AM »
http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/05/exclusive-wilson-bethel-to-portray-bullseye-in-daredevil-season-3/

'which is said to be an adaptation of Frank Miller’s famous Born Again arc'

NO WAY they are doing this, there's just NO WAY

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #15229 on: May 18, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
What's wit the Mormonism in this show?

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #15230 on: May 18, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »
Billions is fun. Some of the writing for the stock guys teeters on the edge of being obnoxious sometimes, but the story is good and interesting enough that it avoids going over the top though. It feels kinda like the writers walked into wherever Aaron Sorkin was writing The Newsroom and started doing his leftover blow.

https://twitter.com/andrewrsorkin/status/2484841901

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15231 on: May 18, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
lol I didn't even make that connection

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #15232 on: May 19, 2018, 06:56:52 AM »
watched the good place, it's a nice, inoffensive, show to have on in the background and is never awful but not many high moments either and never looks to push the envelope with its humour

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #15233 on: May 19, 2018, 07:17:16 AM »
http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/05/exclusive-wilson-bethel-to-portray-bullseye-in-daredevil-season-3/

'which is said to be an adaptation of Frank Miller’s famous Born Again arc'

NO WAY they are doing this, there's just NO WAY

Born Again is a bit like the Dark Knight or Year One, pandering to the nerd fanbase by holding the sacred cow as a dark and gritty statement of intent. It's never been really acted on despite being repeated during the preproduction of a dozen projects yet you can't get away from name dropping it...

Want to see a somewhat faithful adaptation of those iconic Frank Miller comics ? Watch RoboCop 2.
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15234 on: May 20, 2018, 07:19:32 PM »
Fully caught up on the expanse

:whew

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15235 on: May 20, 2018, 07:31:57 PM »
Don't you mean finished The Expanse? 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15236 on: May 20, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
Netflix or Amazon will pick it up.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15237 on: May 20, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15238 on: May 21, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »