Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1877307 times)

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
Now being serious just because benjipwns has a masters in political science and history but is a Ron Paul supporter does not mean that he automatically invalidates your assumption. History and politics is vastly subjective and benjipwns may be ideologically and psychologically sub servant to a number of factors we do not know about that may colour his judgement. 

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
...do you have any idea what the fuck you are talking about?
pcp

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #13562 on: August 17, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
...do you have any idea what the fuck you are talking about?

Fresh prince might have been capable of articulating his ideas more clearly but

spoiler (click to show/hide)
never took on graduate school  :'(
[close]

Fresh Prince

EDIT: However, I agree that Ron Paul will never win a major party nomination or the Presidency. Sorry. :lol Didn't mean to quibble but it was my Masters in Political Science and History coming out. /more-than-beyond-worthless-elitist-credentials :smug
Yes I do. Do you?

Also you of all people confusing 'political correctness' with 'conspiracy theories' have a right to talk.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa

Yes I do.

Also you of all people confusing 'political correctness' with 'conspiracy theories' have a right to talk.

??? no, i dont think you do
pcp

Fresh Prince

benjipwns has a masters in history
benjipwns supports Ron Paul
you said Ron Paul supporters don't know BASIC history
benipwns by PD terms invalidates your theory
I say history is subjective

Also My F*cking Grandpa is a bitch because he won't fight me in PMs

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Fresh Prince

Guys I'm bored and I love to argue, so come at me bros.

You Americans lack the ability to think on your feet. It's why you take half a day to have comebacks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:09:33 PM by Fresh Prince »

Barry Egan

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #13568 on: August 17, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »
Haven't seen someone this butt hurt since you know who was you know what in the digital realm.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
benjipwns has a masters in history
benjipwns supports Ron Paul
you said Ron Paul supporters don't know BASIC history
benipwns by PD terms invalidates your theory
I say history is subjective

Also My F*cking Grandpa is a bitch because he won't fight me in PMs

Positive Touch is a community college dropout yet is still sees how this makes zero goddamn sense

pcp

Fresh Prince

Fuck you're distinguished mentally-challenged. drew was right.

drew

• sy
You Americans lack the ability to think on your feet. It's why you take half a day to have comebacks.

where are you from?  i guess i sort of assume everyone is from the states unless they say otherwise.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Obama is a pretty crappy President but holy shit at who he is up against.

At first, I was planning to vote for nobody or some Green party throwaway but I think I'll vote for him next year.  It won't be so much holding my nose as it is hoping that I don't vomit right then and there but I'll vote for him all the same.

Edited
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:20:20 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Fresh Prince

« Reply #13573 on: August 17, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »
Haven't seen someone this butt hurt since you know who was you know what in the digital realm.
What if I enjoy it? You're a bitch you can't even argue strongly. You walk away and take half a day quoting me out of context to come up with an argument. You're shit. Your reply is 'You're mad'. Is that the best you can do, My F*cking Grandpa? Maybe you're mad too. No I don't think what is it with you. Karl Jaspers. Existentialist? First world problems. If there's anybody more useless than a certified existentialist.

Australia, drew. Maybe it's the Westminster system where we actually debate things that gives rise to our combative nature.
[youtube=560,345]roIeVEf5alk[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:49:01 PM by Fresh Prince »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
nobody's really arguing with each you because you dont seem like you can come up with a coherent rebuttal

and lol at complaining about response times.  sometimes people have other shit to do in their lives, derp
pcp

Barry Egan

« Reply #13575 on: August 17, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
I'd love to hear more of your opinions about 20th century philosophy but I just have to get through reading all the credible, certified positions first. 

Fresh Prince

That did sting  :lol

Fresh Prince

You know what's worse My F*cking Grandpa? I gather you're a professional existentialist. What did you study? Psychology or Philosophy? Like you actually spent money on that shit. I imagine you in a black skivee and beret, 'My life it is so meaningless. I must go to college to discover the meaningless of my meaningless. This sex I have is just for a moment is so meaningless. This food that I eat is so meaningless. This post that I will reply to is so meaningless. This MacPro that I type on is so meaningless. Everything is so meaningless. I wish there was a way to stop this meaningless'.

Phoenix Dark

I feel like the last couple pages should be separated from this thread and reserved for the dysfunctional hall of fame.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
The beginning and end of the discussion re: supporting Ron Paul should just really be one question:  After the past 30+ years, can you please explain using empirical evidence how further deregulation of the economy by the federal government will be beneficial to society at large? 

After the supporter's eyes cross and they start stammering crap about the evils of government, they should be shot and their families should be sterilized, to make sure the stupid doesn't fucking spread.  End of the goddamn discussion.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
Lemme just say that benjipwns is a revelation: the first person I've e-met who likes Ron Paul, but whose first instinct when those newsletters come up isn't damage control.  Which probably has a bit to do with him being aware of libertarian politics before Paul swooped in.

If I were in a fringe political group (you know, other than the one I'm actually part of) that, for purely non-bigoted ideological reasons, entailed opposition for some of the most revered victories of the civil rights movement, I would be really fucking mindful about keeping the stain of racism away from my movement.  Rockwell's approach at times has been just the opposite, with the logic that such a small faction needs all the help it can get, but if you're willing to tolerate that sort of thing then you need to accept the consequences.

Mupepe

• Icon
Quick question, what does everyone think on the proposed changes to military retirement? 

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Military_Retirement_Pay_May_Be_Chaged_127800923.html

As someone who's seen firsthand the effects of 20 years in the military and what these people and their families go through, I think it's playing with fire.  But I'm a bit biased I guess after seeing how my Dad and other family members were treated and how it fucked up their life. 

Mandark

• Icon
I hate stuff like that, cause it forces me to quantify exactly how important something is.

On one hand, a defined-benefit lifetime pension after 20 years of work is super-generous by most modern standards and will rack up the costs real quick: you could retire by 40.

On the other, soldiers get paid to get fucking shot at!  So I dunno.

Mupepe

• Icon
That's how I feel.  Their duties deserve generous benefits but it is expensive as hell in a time when you're trying to cut costs. 

But I don't think it's just their duty, but also the effects it has on their personal life.  It's a really difficult issue.

Phoenix Dark

Full benefits and they shouldn't have to pay taxes

PD 2012

Mupepe

• Icon
Not to sound "unpatriotic" but it's not like we have a draft. These people volunteered.
That's another point. A lot of them joined for the benefits. Watch enlistments drop like a rock

Phoenix Dark

Not to sound "unpatriotic" but it's not like we have a draft. These people volunteered.

The idea is to honor their service and ensure more continue to enlist and re-enlist, in part so we don't need a draft. It's baffling that these types of cuts are on the block but wasteful defense spending/contracts are not. Or tax increases for the rich for that matter.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Cutting military pensions amounts to a tax increase on retired soldiers. Good jon, Congress.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
It just doesn't make any sense

WELCOME TO AMERICA
dog

Phoenix Dark

Yea you're right. But still, you'd think this would be a bigger story at least, and cause some outrage. Instead the media is talking about Obama's vacation, his bus, etc

Human Snorenado

• Icon
History tends to show that the powerless only get power when they threaten the powerful with violence, or make them look really shitty to a bunch of people.  Sad but true.
yar

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
An admitted bias of self-interest, but I absolutely believe that those whose career is to run towards gunfire (or burning buildings) rather than away from it absolutely deserve good, secure pensions.  Plus the effects of said careers on one's psyche/personal life, as Mups mentioned.
MMA

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
It just blows my mind that military pensions are even on the table, when we're acquiring multibillion dollar missile deals that we'll never get to use.

Fuck, just raise taxes to 50%+ at the top bracket like what should have happened in 2009.  These fucks want to return to the 1950s so badly, let them pay 1950s era tax rates.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

[youtube=560,345]nr2YMncb6JE[/youtube]
 :lol

Mupepe

• Icon
I believe when a bill is actually introduced to Congress to cut military pensions there will be a shitstorm. I can promise that this is an issue I'll go and protest for.

Mandark

• Icon
Throw out the bums! Well, *your* bums.
« Reply #13595 on: August 18, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »
Re: "wasteful" military spending.

Keeping a standing army around that's larger than what we need to deter an invasion is just as "wasteful" as outside contracts/new weapons system boondoggles.  And cutting out the pork would put a financial strain on a lot of working people, just as cutting military retirement benefits would.

It's very different on a gut level, because of what soldiers are asked to do and because everyone knows somebody in the military.  We can empathize with them, while the corporations (even though they're employing a ton of people) are abstracted.

Which I think explains what Spencer's saying about the widespread belief that the system is corrupt.  Almost everyone seems to disapprove of Congress and vague "special interests", but a ton of people who get special benefits from the government (SS, Medicare, the mortgage deduction, people in a ton of favored industries) don't see themselves as beneficiaries, and would consider it hugely unfair if they were to lose out.

So you can't really expect a big, coherent, popular political movement to arise from that mistrust, and it would be a bigger mistake to interpret that discontent as validation of or support for any particular political program.

Phoenix Dark

Re: Throw out the bums! Well, *your* bums.
« Reply #13596 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:15 PM »
Re: "wasteful" military spending.

Keeping a standing army around that's larger than what we need to deter an invasion is just as "wasteful" as outside contracts/new weapons system boondoggles.  And cutting out the pork would put a financial strain on a lot of working people, just as cutting military retirement benefits would.

It's very different on a gut level, because of what soldiers are asked to do and because everyone knows somebody in the military.  We can empathize with them, while the corporations (even though they're employing a ton of people) are abstracted.

Which I think explains what Spencer's saying about the widespread belief that the system is corrupt.  Almost everyone seems to disapprove of Congress and vague "special interests", but a ton of people who get special benefits from the government (SS, Medicare, the mortgage deduction, people in a ton of favored industries) don't see themselves as beneficiaries, and would consider it hugely unfair if they were to lose out.

So you can't really expect a big, coherent, popular political movement to arise from that mistrust, and it would be a bigger mistake to interpret that discontent as validation of or support for any particular political program.

Actually it's not even close..
http://comptroller.defense.gov/budget.html

The amount spent on weapons systems and R&D (which is classified) alone dwarf what's spent on maintaining soldiers.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:13:44 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Mandark

• Icon
Wasteful in terms of utility for yer dollar.

Phoenix Dark

Nah man, I've waited too long to get you on a hook with facts.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Nah man, I've waited too long to get you on a hook with facts.

Are you going to stay in the thread and demand that Mandark admit it?  Uh huh.
yar

Phoenix Dark

Shlep for me, god dammit
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:05:38 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Mandark

• Icon
Well, personnel costs are way more than R&D costs, but you I imagine you could easily switch that by including some definition of "weapons systems".  So sure, 10 points to Hufflepuff.

The point is avoiding the idea that some kind of easily and painlessly eliminated "waste" is the only thing putting pressure on the military budget.

Good God, who taught you Yiddish?  Ask for your money back.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

That's a good point. The strain is undeniable, and as the military expands it gets worse. But as it's unlikely military personnel will decrease significantly over the next few years (unless DADT's end scares them away!), the more logical/effective way to cut spending would be by cutting wasteful no bid contracts and over budget weapons programs. The enemy the US has been fighting for the last decade has no state, navy, air force, etc. China spends a shit ton on their military but they're still far behind us in nearly every way that matters. Nor is war with China (or Russia) even likely/practical for either side. We don't have to handicap ourselves, but there's no point in continuing to run up the score either.

I got my online Yiddish degree at the Bachmann School of Unequal Cultures. The chutzpah is delicious
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/18/palin-obama-very-tone-deaf-with-vacation/?hpt=po_bn1

Didn't this attention whoring grifter, you know, QUIT her job as Gov. of I-Can-See-Russia-From-My-Porch?
yar

Phoenix Dark

So have any of these republicans been confronted with Bush and Reagan's 120-160 vacation days through the exact same points of their terms, compared to..you know...Obama's 61.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
So have any of these republicans been confronted with Bush and Reagan's 120-160 vacation days through the exact same points of their terms, compared to..you know...Obama's 61.

Bush was still working hard, he just needed some time away from the milieu of Washington to work on some secret plans to save America.
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
that brush wouldn't clear itself :american
___

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

yar

Mandark

• Icon
What does it say!?  Her hand is covering some of the letters!

Seriously, I think Ron Paul would make a great pro wrestling manager.  He could refer to himself as "The Ronstitution" and give the same unhinged rants he normally does with minimal tweaks. while wearing a feather boa and spangled cowboy hat.

There's also probably a Tony Atlas Shrugged joke to be mined.

Green Man:  Depends on your state!  Just google your state name and Voter Registeration Card Replacement.

Phoenix Dark

[youtube=560,345]IhxwJnPbzt4[/youtube]

Gotta give the man dap sometimes

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Our history of involvement with Iran really is rather depressing, and eye-opening.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:28:22 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Yes, but to admit to it would mean that America screwed up, and if you say America is anything other than absolutely perfect, obviously you hate America and are a traitor.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
Woulda been the biggest in total dollars, not accounting for population growth or inflation or marginal rate.  It's on par with "Reagan lowered taxes and revenues went up!" and a gazillion other things.  Can't even get worked up over that sort of stuff anymore.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
Warren Buffet paid (after deductions) 7 mil in taxes for 2010.

7 mil from the 2nd richest dude on the planet goes into the American tax coffers.  Seven million out of the BILLIONS earned by him last year.  Isn't that really fucking fucked up?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but when this dude says "Tax me more" why on earth shouldn't anybody listen?

Warren Buffet paid (after deductions) 7 mil in taxes for 2010.

7 mil from the 2nd richest dude on the planet goes into the American tax coffers.  Seven million out of the BILLIONS earned by him last year.  Isn't that really fucking fucked up?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but when this dude says "Tax me more" why on earth shouldn't anybody listen?

Because Buffet is clearly senile. By ignoring him, we're doing the poor man a favor.
野球

Akala

• Easy Victor
every time I think I'm kinda over politics yahoo sucks me right back in.  :'(

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/seven-ways-rick-perry-wants-change-constitution-131634517.html

Barry Egan

« Reply #13618 on: August 20, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »

drew

• sy
John Stewart's World of Class Warfare

and here is where we all pretend that there aren't people out there who game the system