Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1868108 times)

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #5940 on: November 03, 2009, 07:58:29 PM »
2009: a prequel

:lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #5941 on: November 03, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »
        * Per CNN, voters in Virginia did not see their state's gubernatorial race as an opportunity to voice opposition to Barack Obama. A 55 percent majority of voters said that the President was not a factor in their vote, and an additional 18 percent indicated their vote in Virginia was one of support in the President. Just 24 percent of voters indicated that their vote was one of opposition to President Obama. The numbers out of New Jersey are not terribly different, with 60 percent saying that Barack Obama played no role in their gubernatorial vote, 19 percent saying that their vote was one in support of the President, and 20 percent saying that their vote was in opposition to President Obama.

Concludes CNN, this is not a referendum on Barack Obama.

* Chuck Todd reports that Barack Obama's approval rating among Virginia voters stands at 51 percent (just under the 52.6 percent of the vote he received in the state last November) and 57 percent in New Jersey (almost exactly the same as the 57.1 percent of the vote he earned in that state last November). In other words, exit polling indicates President Obama has not really lost supporters over the past year.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/11/3/800180/-Not-a-referendum-on-Obama

FoC annihilated

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #5942 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
Supposedly FoC hates the current Republican leadership anyway since they are so far from their libertarian roots, so I don't know why he's cheering their success in 2010.

Oblivion

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #5943 on: November 03, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/After-a-flurry-of-stimulus-spending_-questionable-projects-pile-up-8474249-68709732.html

After a flurry of stimulus spending, questionable projects pile up

The $787 billion stimulus bill was passed in February and was promised as a job saver and economy booster. Here is where some of the money went:
- $300,000 for a GPS-equipped helicopter to hunt for radioactive rabbit droppings at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington state.
- $30 million for a spring training baseball complex for the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies.
- $11 million for Microsoft to build a bridge connecting its two headquarter campuses in Redmond, Wash., which are separated by a highway.
- $430,000 to repair a bridge in Iowa County, Wis., that carries 10 or fewer cars per day.
- $800,000 for the John Murtha Airport in Johnstown, Pa., serving about 20 passengers per day, to build a backup runway.
- $219,000 for Syracuse University to study the sex lives of freshmen women.
- $2.3 million for the U.S. Forest Service to rear large numbers of arthropods, including the Asian longhorned beetle, the nun moth and the woolly adelgid.
- $3.4 million for a 13-foot tunnel for turtles and other wildlife attempting to cross U.S. 27 in Lake Jackson, Fla.
- $1.15 million to install a guardrail for a persistently dry lake bed in Guymon, Okla.
- $9.38 million to renovate a century-old train depot in Lancaster County, Pa., that has not been used for three decades.
- $2.5 million in stimulus checks sent to the deceased.
- $6 million for a snow-making facility in Duluth, Minn.
- $173,834 to weatherize eight pickup trucks in Madison County, Ill.
- $20,000 for a fish sperm freezer at the Gavins Point National Fish Hatchery in South Dakota.
- $380,000 to spay and neuter pets in Wichita, Kan.
- $300 apiece for thousands of signs at road construction sites across the country announcing that the projects are funded by stimulus money.
- $1.5 million for a fence to block would-be jumpers from leaping off the All-American Bridge in Akron, Ohio.
- $1 million to study the health effects of environmentally friendly public housing on 300 people in Chicago.
- $356,000 for Indiana University to study childhood comprehension of foreign accents compared with native speech.
- $983,952 for street beautification in Ann Arbor, Mich., including decorative lighting, trees, benches and bike paths.
- $148,438 for Washington State University to analyze the use of marijuana in conjunction with medications like morphine.
- $462,000 to purchase 22 concrete toilets for use in the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri
- $3.1 million to transform a canal barge into a floating museum that will travel the Erie Canal in New York state.
- $1.3 million on government arts jobs in Maine, including $30,000 for basket makers, $20,000 for storytelling and $12,500 for a music festival.
- $71,000 for a hybrid car to be used by student drivers in Colchester, Vt., as well as a plug-in hybrid for town workers decked out with a sign touting the vehicle's energy efficiency.
- $1 million for Portland, Ore., to replace 100 aging bike lockers and build a garage that would house 250 bicycles.

If it makes you feel better, at least there wasn't any money diverted to fruit fly research.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #5944 on: November 03, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »
Libertarians>>>>>>Republicans>>>2nd graders> Dirty hobo-lovin hippes A.K.A Liberals

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #5945 on: November 03, 2009, 09:05:09 PM »
Libertarians>>>>>>Republicans>>>2nd graders> Dirty hobo-lovin hippes A.K.A Liberals

How are they better than themselves?  ???
wtc

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #5946 on: November 03, 2009, 09:15:01 PM »
While I do not approve of public funds going to museums, is paying money to attend / making a donation somehow not supporting the arts?

Because that would have to be the case for that to be a salient counterpoint.

Shouldn't you know just what percentage of their costs are taken care of by your tax dollars? What if you're attending a museum that would be completely insolvent without receiving welfare checks from a dirty government that dares to view basic public works and preservation of national history as among its functions?

I guess you're OK with a public option as long as there is still a copay?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #5947 on: November 03, 2009, 09:46:02 PM »
Not to take away from this fascinating discussion, but it looks like the Republican might actually win in the NJ Governor's race; that was the one race I was kind of hoping that the Dem would win...

I am not sure why you are so surprised.

Corzine was a deeply unpopular governor, whose state has the highest property taxes in the country and an unemployment rate exceeding national average.

And as a native to the DC metropolitan area, and having been subjected to the Virginia gubernatorial campaigning, I can say whomever ran Creigh Deeds campaign is a bafoon. It was poorly run and relied heavily on the dirty politics ("Bob McConnell wants to enslave your wife and make her wear a burqa!"), whereas McConnell ran on a platform of creating jobs. McConnell also managed to rebound from Deeds' mud slinging with some brilliantly executed ads featuring his daughter and female appointees.

After that, Deeds really brought nothing to the table.

... Republicans will use both victories to spin it as some kind of referendum on Obama, and bang pots and pans all over the cable networks in celebration, but in reality it matters little to the White House. Hell, if anything, it gives the Republicans a false sense of security heading into next year.
PSP

« Reply #5948 on: November 03, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
Less than an hour now until we start getting returns out here in Liberal Land. The Seattle mayoral and King County executive races have been crazy, and we've also got Referendum 71 (everything but marriage).
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5949 on: November 03, 2009, 10:09:39 PM »
It's beginning.

"2009 elections are a bad omen for Obama White House." :lol
PSP

« Reply #5950 on: November 03, 2009, 10:10:39 PM »
It's beginning.

"2009 elections are a bad omen for Obama White House." :lol

:lol

Let 'em believe whatever they want.
野球

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5951 on: November 03, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »
the arts lol am i rite

For purposes of public funding, it's not so much a "lol," as it is incredibly infuriating.  No, no public money should go to "the arts."

It's continually interesting to see which uses of public funds really get your goat.

« Reply #5952 on: November 03, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
Ref. 71 passed! Suck it homophobes! :rock

Dow Constantine kicked Susan Hutchison's ass! Suck it, East side conservatives! :rock
野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5953 on: November 03, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »
lol, looks like the democrat in NY-23 is gonna end up winning after all.  Suck it down wingnuts, even though I'm sure they'll declare it a great victory anyway since they took out *gasp* a LIBRUL REPUBLICAN, even thought that's, you know, what can win in the NE.

More troubling is the Maine ballot initiative, which is a toss-up but trending towards the homophobes.
yar

« Reply #5954 on: November 03, 2009, 11:59:52 PM »
More troubling is the Maine ballot initiative, which is a toss-up but trending towards the homophobes.

Is it? That's a damn shame.

At least Referendum 71 is passing out here in Washington.

Overheard at the Huthchison (crazy right wing candidate for King County Executive) party tonight:

"The whole country's going to hell because of that president. I can't imagine what Dow will do to the county. Talk about a Ron Sims clone—dip him in tar and he'd be the same guy!"

smh
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:03:27 AM by distantmantra »
野球

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #5955 on: November 04, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Hoffman was more popular outside of the NY-23 than he was in it. There was plenty of grassroots enthusiasm for his bid there, too bad none of them actually lived in the district.

There are tons of Democrats that liberals held their nose for in terms of politics and yet still voted, donated, and volunteered for. You can't have a teabagger winning in NY on a hard right wing platform any more than you can have a dirty hippie winning in rural North Carolina espousing San Francisco Values.

Bloomberg and Corzine are the more interesting races-both represent sort of the "old guard" powers that be, and both underperformed (even though the mayor still won). I think people are still very pissed off that there hasn't been more of a shakeup after Obama won last year-not necessarily in terms of policy but in terms of which set of people are getting a seat at the table.
hex

« Reply #5956 on: November 04, 2009, 12:17:47 AM »

Green = yes homo
Yellow = no homo

I'm so glad Seattle cancels everyone else out.
野球

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #5957 on: November 04, 2009, 12:20:47 AM »
Hoffman concedes
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5958 on: November 04, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »
Hoffman losing makes tonight a win as far as I'm concerned. Deeds was a blue dog sap, that's no biggie. I don't know much about Corzine, and I'd imagine Christie will take his place as "dude making tough decisions" resulting in him losing re-election.

Initially I figured Hoffman winning would be the best outcome since it would embolden the far right. But his loss could possibly ignite a real fight between the GOP and Conservative Party as they play the blame game.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #5959 on: November 04, 2009, 12:27:22 AM »
:rock King County :rock

Not really seeing anything that can be divined from the entrails of tonight's elections.
hex

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5960 on: November 04, 2009, 12:30:28 AM »
I can:

Obama sucks, Republicans are turning the tide! :hyper
PSP

« Reply #5961 on: November 04, 2009, 12:34:14 AM »
:rock King County :rock

Not really seeing anything that can be divined from the entrails of tonight's elections.

I can. Republicans can't hide in non-partisan races in the most liberal county in Washington state. Suck it, Hutchison.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5962 on: November 04, 2009, 01:13:24 AM »
Equality Defeated in Maine

The anti-marriage equality initiative appears to have won in Maine. Meanwhile, a civil unions initiative has prevailed in Washington state.
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

:usacry

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5963 on: November 04, 2009, 01:26:35 AM »
That truly is a shame.  I hate how buttfuckingly upset Mercury Fred over at GAF is though.  I understand and appreciate his passion for the case, but he only ever posts in a political thread to say FUCK OBAMA HE DOES JACK SHIT FUCK THIS COUNTRY
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5964 on: November 04, 2009, 01:48:29 AM »
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/11/ny-23-owens-wins.php?ref=fpa

Holy shit he looks weird. I expected him to have a nasally nerd voice 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5965 on: November 04, 2009, 01:51:20 AM »
CNN and Fox News called the race for Democrat Bill Owens, making him the first Democrat to hold the upstate New York seat since the Civil War.

jesus  :lol
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5966 on: November 04, 2009, 02:22:52 AM »
That truly is a shame.  I hate how buttfuckingly upset Mercury Fred over at GAF is though.  I understand and appreciate his passion for the case, but he only ever posts in a political thread to say FUCK OBAMA HE DOES JACK SHIT FUCK THIS COUNTRY

I don't understand how people voting against gay marriage is Obama's fault. What, were advertising dollars and stump speeches going to flip a switch in people's minds?

"Y'know, I really hated all those gays, but the President started talking about his gay friends, I really think letting them get married is a fabulous idea!"

... Really.
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #5967 on: November 04, 2009, 02:26:18 AM »
The NY-23 situation is basically what happened to Wayne Gilchrest in Maryland.  Moderate Republican in a solidly (but not monolithically) GOP district is pushed aside for a more conservative candidate, who then loses.

I'm sympathetic to activists who use primaries or third-party challenges to light a fire under their own party.  I voted for Donna Edwards against Al Wynn.  But at some point you have to be realistic about what each district is going to support.  For all their bitching about the Blue Dogs, the netroots has supported a ton of centrist Democrats in swing districts.  I'm not sure the conservative base is willing to do that.

edit:  I'll second everything Willco said about the VA governor's race.  Deeds was a lousy candidate with a lousy campaign.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:28:20 AM by Mandark »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5968 on: November 04, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
Doesn't matter, Mandark - haven't you heard the news?

Quote from: Fox News
Obama Dealt a Blow as Dems Fall Short in Races

Election of Republican governors in Va., N.J. could mean trouble for Obama, who carried both states in 2008

Quote from: MSNBC
Democrats lose ground in 2009 election test

Republicans win big in New Jersey and Virginia, a troubling sign for the president and his party

... better start packing your stuff, Obama.
PSP

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5969 on: November 04, 2009, 02:38:14 AM »

I don't understand how people voting against gay marriage is Obama's fault. What, were advertising dollars and stump speeches going to flip a switch in people's minds?

"Y'know, I really hated all those gays, but the President started talking about his gay friends, I really think letting them get married is a fabulous idea!"

... Really.

Mercury Fred is especially callous.  He gets so riled up with vitriol that he spews his frustration towards people and situations that have little to no bearing on his situation.  He criticizes Obama for not speaking out about gay rights and the revoking of DADT, yet Obama has never been a primarily gay-friendly politician (that's not worded too well, but you know what I mean) in terms of promises of action, and the promises he did make take a very obvious backseat to some of the more prominent issues of the time.

Prominent, in-the-spotlight political figure heads, especially presidents, are hardly ever and will probably never be big figures in the advocation of civil rights changes, even if their voting base wants them to be an MLK or Ghandi–it's up to internal group leaders to rise up and take action for the government to do anything about it.  That's how I feel anyway, I don't know if that makes me a bit more of a realist or unsympathetic, I don't know.
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5970 on: November 04, 2009, 02:41:54 AM »
It doesn't matter, after tonight, Obama will be packing his bags anyway. Michelle and the kids will have to say goodbye to the front court, helicopter rides and so on. Republicans are back, baby! 8)
PSP

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5971 on: November 04, 2009, 02:43:13 AM »
Goodbye, Michelle.

Hello, Michelle (Bachman)!
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5972 on: November 04, 2009, 02:44:26 AM »
PALIN/BACHMANN '12

I dub thee "cheeseburger surprise" ticket.
PSP

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5973 on: November 04, 2009, 02:45:40 AM »
If that ticket were real, praise Jesus.

But not their Jesus.
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5974 on: November 04, 2009, 02:46:31 AM »
Supply side Jesus :heartbeat
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #5975 on: November 04, 2009, 03:35:18 AM »

Dow Constantine kicked Susan Hutchison's ass! Suck it, East side conservatives! :rock

:rock :rock :rock I-1033 absolutely scuttled! suck it, tim eyman and his libertarian shitheel sycophants! :rock :rock :rock
duc

« Reply #5976 on: November 04, 2009, 03:39:56 AM »

:rock :rock :rock I-1033 absolutely scuttled! suck it, tim eyman and his libertarian shitheel sycophants! :rock :rock :rock

Prole, would you sponsor my initiative to kick Eyman out of the state?
野球

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #5977 on: November 04, 2009, 03:40:54 AM »
i want his head onna pike.
duc

« Reply #5978 on: November 04, 2009, 03:42:23 AM »
i want his head onna pike.

Ok, we can leave his head in the state. The body gets dumped in Idaho.
野球

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #5979 on: November 04, 2009, 03:49:03 AM »
ah, the bitter eastside tears are already starting at mynorthwest.com. i am so totally tuning in to dori monson's show tomorrow!

:rock :rock :rock butthurt pseudo-populist libertarians and churchtards :rock :rock :rock
duc

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5980 on: November 04, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
LOL @ "separate but equal" civil unions
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5981 on: November 04, 2009, 07:42:44 AM »
Also, I don't think Hoffman's defeat will deter the teabaggers.  True to their teabagging tendencies, they probably don't think of the race as a defeat but an instance where a far right conservative went from obscure to prominent in just a short time with their support.  That and their theory that they weren't conservative enough, combined with scattered GOP victories, will only embolden them for next year.  Hell, there were probably some who didn't think Hoffman was conservative enough or that his campaign was too soft on the liberals.

I welcome this movement for next year.  The party is sacking and replacing moderate Republicans with wingnut outsiders and I love it.  I can only hope someone does that to Grassley next year.  :hyper That and the Iowa governor race.  Homo marriage is here to stay in the state but there is a sect of wingnuts raging over it.  Should be exciting!
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #5982 on: November 04, 2009, 09:25:06 AM »
So the rethugs unseating 2 very unpopular dems is somehow greater than a dem winning in a place no dem has won since the civil war?  :spin
©ZH

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #5983 on: November 04, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2009/11/anti-discrimination_ordinance_1.html

Quote from: mlive
Kalamazoo city voters decisively adopted an ordinance Tuesday that extends anti-discrimination protections to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals.

The ordinance passed 7,671 to 4,731, making Kalamazoo the 16th city in Michigan to adopt such a gay-rights ordinance that grants the protections in the areas of employment, housing and public accommodations.

:supergay
jon

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5984 on: November 04, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »
Caught that clip of Michael Steele on CNN this morning - he was relatively humble, and made some good points. If he acted like this on a daily basis, I'd be more supportive for the party, y'know, I am a registered member of.
PSP

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #5985 on: November 04, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »
Caught that clip of Michael Steele on CNN this morning - he was relatively humble, and made some good points. If he acted like this on a daily basis, I'd be more supportive for the party, y'know, I am a registered member of.

::) Based on your ideology, I don't think so.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5986 on: November 04, 2009, 12:05:51 PM »
American's "conservative" party = not actually conservative.
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5987 on: November 04, 2009, 01:01:38 PM »
::) Based on your ideology, I don't think so.

And what ideology would that be?
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5988 on: November 04, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
That of a Retail Republican - one who realizes rich people aren't idols to be worshiped, the common man deserves some help, and social issues aren't more important than wallet issues

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5989 on: November 04, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Not quite. I'm most definitely a Republican, but Flame is representative of the new and re-energized right that has no room for moderates. I come from a family of conservatives, and while I am more socially progressive then they are, even they are feeling kind of left out.

If being a Republican now constitutes living in a fantasy world detached from reality, prizing your ideology before results, never willing to compromise, hating those that are pro-choice, stopping gays from getting married and supporting frivolous military spending while axing social programs - then yes, I am probably not a Republican.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5990 on: November 04, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
Victim in Fatal Car Accident Tragically Not Glenn Beck :rofl

Omg at the posters of Glenn Beck at the candlelight vigil: "It should've been you." :rofl :rofl :rofl

"There is no harder thing then have Glenn Beck outlive your child." :lol :lol
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5991 on: November 04, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »
Ah nm, I see Willco. You're a fascist socialist

Phoenix Dark

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5993 on: November 04, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
Lawrence O'Donnell kind of came off as a douchebag.

YOU CAN'T SPOIL MICHAEL STEELE'S JUICE! :rock
PSP

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #5994 on: November 04, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »
liberals = butthurt  :lol

You guys better lube up before november 2010.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5995 on: November 04, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »

:rofl
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5996 on: November 04, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »

Over what? More Democrats got sent to Congress last night.
PSP

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #5997 on: November 04, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol

Awesome.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #5998 on: November 04, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »

Over what? More Democrats got sent to Congress, baby. :rock

Senate? Oh wait... nothing to see here.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5999 on: November 04, 2009, 02:39:39 PM »
As such a strict follower of the Constitution, I am surprised you have never heard of the House of Representatives!
PSP