Author Topic: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen  (Read 208295 times)

Himu

Re: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen
« Reply #1200 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »
Turnip crypto at 53 here  :'( :maf

That's good. That's among the lowest prices and it's the beginning of the week. Your prospects are great.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1202 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:23 AM »
https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/24/21192310/animal-crossing-new-horizons-tools-crafting-system-iron-nuggets-golden-tools-break-nintendo-switch

I agree with this. It's really killing my enjoyment.

I have no issue with flimsy tools breaking but there's no reason the better ones should.
:O

Himu

« Reply #1203 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »
Legitimately have no idea what is going on.

First island I could NEVER get fish to spawn at my cliff river.

Now I can and it has turned into animal crossing relaxing fun time rather than the bait grind I did before.

What the fuck. Could some layouts just produce bad results? My new islands river is much smaller and there's only one cliff river so maybe that sizes it down? On the first there were two Rivers on my cliff.

This is actually enjoyable now.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1204 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:33 AM »
4 repeat fossils today :stahp

Himu

« Reply #1205 on: March 30, 2020, 11:45:24 AM »
Also like Spencer said in my game, my new layout is great. I actually love my island.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1206 on: March 30, 2020, 11:51:24 AM »
Constantly catching new fish I never saw on the first island :mindblown
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1207 on: March 30, 2020, 12:10:57 PM »
Able Sissies has Chun Li buns today in the fitting room lol

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1208 on: March 30, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
Spent hours last night fishing for a string fish and came up empty. Never thought an Animal Crossing game would make me rage quit. I just want to chill on my island, not make a tedious loop gathering Manila clams, crafting bait, tediously pole vaulting rivers and climbing cliffs, then grinding fish.

I got one randomly today during my daily rounds without any bait. I spent most of the last two days baitin’ like crazy and didn’t get it. Piece of shit RNG.
Margs

Himu

« Reply #1209 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »
Spent hours last night fishing for a string fish and came up empty. Never thought an Animal Crossing game would make me rage quit. I just want to chill on my island, not make a tedious loop gathering Manila clams, crafting bait, tediously pole vaulting rivers and climbing cliffs, then grinding fish.

This is what got me to delete my first save and the final straw. It's the complete opposite of why I play animal crossing. Running around gathering/grinding clams to make a fish appear is the antithesis to animal crossing. I've enjoyed it far more now just ignoring bait. Problem is that certain areas like the pier don't have any spawns without bait. Bait essentially acts as a gacha/rng to gatekeep you from acquiring rare fish. I'm sure it'll be fine with a simple patch.

The person that came up with the idea of making bait should bring honestly be fired though.
IYKYK

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1210 on: March 30, 2020, 01:26:05 PM »
Bait wouldn't be so bad if the clams stacked and you could make 30 bait at once without the stupid animation every time
:O

Himu

« Reply #1211 on: March 30, 2020, 01:33:30 PM »
Bait wouldn't be so bad if the clams stacked and you could make 30 bait at once without the stupid animation every time

Still doesn't change the fact you're basically wandering around looking for a clam just to turn into bait. It turns a carefree game into something different. It should be ignored if you're playing for chill imo.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1212 on: March 30, 2020, 01:42:41 PM »
Caught a blue marlin yesterday. :win

Also, can I get Flick to live on my island forever? Beats the normal villagers by miles.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1213 on: March 30, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
I think imposing on yourself the need to fish those fish within your first week & completing all projects as soon as they're available is kinda a self-imposed stress.

Some of the projects in NL seemed to have taken forever, here things get done pretty quick.

Today was the first day I've even used bait, doing minimal chores has allowed me to buy everything I could want so far in... if you want to max out your house a week and a half after buying the game I guess that's the kind of stress you have to put on yourself, but I don't think meaningful progress/furniture acquisition has been this fast in an AC game (sans the fact that you have to build facilities).

This is assuming people are doing it for a race rather than the fact nothing shows up. Go to your pier. Is there a fish? Likely not. Therefore you need bait. Entire categories of fish show up in specific areas. The Marlin ONLY appears at the pier. The stingfish ONLY appears at the cliff river. It would be nice for fish to appear without any bait at all. The fact there's area unique fish (pond, pier, cliff) but the fish don't spawn necessitates that you make bait. This means the game necessitates grinding. Even in NL you don't need a specific item to catch Coelacanths or sharks. You wait till a specific time of day and find it.

Combined with tools regularly breaking and you have a supposed disruption on typical chill animal crossing formula.

Also it taking two days for the museum (and one entire day wher you can't do present anything to Blathers) is the opposite of fast.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 02:14:13 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1214 on: March 30, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »
The dock for the airport also counts as pier, btw

Himu

« Reply #1215 on: March 30, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
The dock for the airport also counts as pier, btw

:o

Game changer
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1216 on: March 30, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
Stringfish is the only thing I was stressing about since it doesn't appear again until December. Now that I finally got one, I'm back to just chilling. Spent two hours catching emperor butterflies and man-faced stink bugs last night for huge stonks.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1217 on: March 30, 2020, 02:06:12 PM »
Do fish show up near the airport often cats?
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1218 on: March 30, 2020, 02:07:34 PM »
I’m not seeing anything on the internet to support me saying that but I know I’ve caught tuna/marlin that are swimming right next to the airport like where the seaplane is

not sure about frequency

Himu

« Reply #1219 on: March 30, 2020, 02:14:43 PM »
I’m not seeing anything on the internet to support me saying that but I know I’ve caught tuna/marlin that are swimming right next to the airport like where the seaplane is

not sure about frequency

I'm testing it now.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1220 on: March 30, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
What I think should change about bait, is just let us craft some simple things without tables. If you could just pick up a clam, mash it with your bare hands and make it bait, that would be fine too. Then it would be like, ya know, I’m fishin and they aren’t biting so I’ll throw some of them clams in there lol

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1221 on: March 30, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
I think imposing on yourself the need to fish those fish within your first week & completing all projects as soon as they're available is kinda a self-imposed stress.

Some of the projects in NL seemed to have taken forever, here things get done pretty quick.

Today was the first day I've even used bait, doing minimal chores has allowed me to buy everything I could want so far in... if you want to max out your house a week and a half after buying the game I guess that's the kind of stress you have to put on yourself, but I don't think meaningful progress/furniture acquisition has been this fast in an AC game (sans the fact that you have to build facilities).

This is assuming people are doing it for a race rather than the fact nothing shows up. Go to your pier. Is there a fish? Likely not. Therefore you need bait. Entire categories of fish show up in specific areas. The Marlin ONLY appears at the pier. The stingfish ONLY appears at the cliff river. It would be nice for fish to appear without any bait at all. The fact there's area unique fish (pond, pier, cliff) but the fish don't spawn necessitates that you make bait. This means the game necessitates grinding. Even in NL you don't need a specific item to catch Coelacanths or sharks. You wait till a specific time of day and find it.

Combined with tools regularly breaking and you have a supposed disruption on typical chill animal crossing formula.

Also it taking two days for the museum (and one entire day wher you can't do present anything to Blathers) is the opposite of fast.

You don't need bait to catch a Stringfish. I used it for my first one but I've caught like 3 more au naturale

The only Marlin I caught was without bait as well
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1222 on: March 30, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
I caught the blue marlin on one of the Nook islands.
dog

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1223 on: March 30, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »
What I think should change about bait, is just let us craft some simple things without tables. If you could just pick up a clam, mash it with your bare hands and make it bait, that would be fine too. Then it would be like, ya know, I’m fishin and they aren’t biting so I’ll throw some of them clams in there lol

If I know I'm gonna be hardcore baitin I just carry a diy table with me
___

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1224 on: March 30, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »
Yeah, I’m just gonna build even more on the coast. Can’t give up pocket space!! Lol

Himu

« Reply #1225 on: March 30, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »
I'd much rather BUY bait than run around looking for water sprouting of the sand running in circles like someone grinding in a jrpg. I don't want  to do that in animal crossing.

Also, the airport does have good shit.

Why does all this matter? Because in AC you need to find reliable sources of revenue. If the only way you can find reliable revrnue is doing what I described above, playing the game like someone grinding for levels in an RPG, then it turns that source of revenue into tedium.

If indeed the airport has tuna and Marlin that's a game changer. I caught an olive flounder so I can't confirm yet but I gotta feeling.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1226 on: March 30, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »

You don't need bait to catch a Stringfish. I used it for my first one but I've caught like 3 more au naturale

The only Marlin I caught was without bait as well

The problem with "I caught it without bait" is that tells none of us WHERE you caught it. Rumbler said he caught it at a Nook island.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1227 on: March 30, 2020, 02:26:10 PM »
I think Nook Island just ups the chances of catching rare fish

Marlin was caught by dock, Stringfish were caught in cliff rivers
___

Cheddahz

« Reply #1228 on: March 30, 2020, 02:29:53 PM »
Have to agree that buying bait should be an option

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1229 on: March 30, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »
Do the gifts the villagers get influence any sort of home score for them or the island rating?
___

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1230 on: March 30, 2020, 03:18:28 PM »
me rollin up to blathers after laying in bed smokin all day
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1231 on: March 30, 2020, 03:42:53 PM »
Attn Fisherfolk: CJ is in my town handing out fishing challenges and top dollar for fish

Says he’ll be here until 5 am tomorrow

You’ll need a ladder to reach him rn
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:47:42 PM by CatsCatsCats »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1232 on: March 30, 2020, 04:25:02 PM »
A great improvement would be if when at home you could craft with things from storage without having to put them in your pockets, such a chore!

Tasty

« Reply #1233 on: March 30, 2020, 04:43:17 PM »
A great improvement would be if when at home you could craft with things from storage without having to put them in your pockets, such a chore!

I figured this would be the benefit of putting a workbench in your house. Seems like an obvious QoL issue to fix...

Tasty

« Reply #1234 on: March 30, 2020, 04:47:25 PM »
Do the gifts the villagers get influence any sort of home score for them or the island rating?

In past games I don't believe they did, but in this game who knows. :thinking There's been tweaks and updates to the AI I can see already.

Tasty

« Reply #1235 on: March 30, 2020, 04:53:41 PM »
Caught a blue marlin yesterday. :win

Also, can I get Flick to live on my island forever? Beats the normal villagers by miles.

I'm iffy about Flick. CJ seems cool and AC-y, but Flick seems out of place to me, I dunno. Like if there were an Ant villager or something lol.

Fifstar

« Reply #1236 on: March 30, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »
added you guys from the op. I'm fif with the pikmin.

how does connecting with other people work?

my code is 1813-529-3013
Gulp

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1237 on: March 30, 2020, 04:59:08 PM »
Some of you guys stress too much about this shit. FFS, you're giving me anxiety and I'm not an anxious person about anything, let alone a video game. Animal Crossing is meant to be chill.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #1238 on: March 30, 2020, 05:08:15 PM »

They really relaxed some of the requirements in this game. The equivalent gold badge in ACNL was slightly more than 1000 unique items in your catalog, but here it tops out at 500.

Crazy this was one of the hardest badges for me to go after in NL, but I might check off the NH version in the first two weeks lol.

Tasty

« Reply #1239 on: March 30, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »
added you guys from the op. I'm fif with the pikmin.

how does connecting with other people work?

my code is 1813-529-3013

This has multiplayer?

How does that work?

Same Switch: someone on a different Switch profile can start the game and put their house somewhere on the island. You're still in charge of most island progression stuff, but they'll have their own house/storage/etc., and you can join each other on the same screen at any time with a second controller. The screen will follow the "leader," but the leader can be switched on the fly.

Different Switches (local wireless/online): open your gate at Dodo Airlines or choose to fly to another island. Orville will ask whether it's local or online and then you should be set. Dodo Codes will let you invite or fly to anyone who's not on your Switch's system friends list.

When someone is visiting your island this way, they can drop items on the ground, pick stuff up, fish, catch bugs, shake trees, send text chats, and a bunch of other stuff. Vice-versa when you're visiting someone else's island. You can then send or accept invitations to become a "Best Friend," and then you'll be able to use shovels and axes in each other's towns, but you'll also be able to send each other direct messages even when not in the same town at the same time (online DMs), and see when each other is online.

An example would be sending a quick "Hey you're online, can I sell fruit?" message, you open your gates, and your friend sells their fruit on your island for 5x its price on their island. Then since they're there, you two decide to go fishing together before they leave. Stuff like that is how multiplayer works in Animal Crossing. :)

Note that Dodo Airlines will be closed your first in-game day.

Tasty

« Reply #1240 on: March 30, 2020, 05:24:48 PM »
- white sneakers (forgot the name) [pleather sneakers]
- denim jeans (blue)
- some glasses [round glasses]
- typewriter
- homework set

Ordered these, will be here tomorrow. <3

Himu

« Reply #1241 on: March 30, 2020, 05:42:44 PM »
Attn Fisherfolk: CJ is in my town handing out fishing challenges and top dollar for fish

Says he’ll be here until 5 am tomorrow

You’ll need a ladder to reach him rn

fishing tourneys are back? Yay!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1242 on: March 30, 2020, 05:43:01 PM »
- white sneakers (forgot the name) [pleather sneakers]
- denim jeans (blue)
- some glasses [round glasses]
- typewriter
- homework set

Ordered these, will be here tomorrow. <3

omg thanks :heartbeat
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1243 on: March 30, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »
Idk if there’s tourneys, he had a challenge for me for his YouTube channel or whatever

Tasty

« Reply #1244 on: March 30, 2020, 06:23:41 PM »
Fish and bug tourneys are back but they're run differently.

EDIT- Everything I posted about the rules might be wrong, so not gonna post them.

Chip who ran the fish tourneys in NL is letting his son CJ aka Chip Jr run things this time around. People have seen Nat on a poster in the museum and I'm not sure if he has any relation to Flick, the guy running the bug tourneys in New Horizons.

Tasty

« Reply #1245 on: March 30, 2020, 06:26:07 PM »
Ahhhh he can randomly pop up on your island to buy bugs but he only runs the contests on third Saturdays. Gotcha.

Also the prizes this time are some cool fishing/sea themed furniture items, not actual trophies. 🤔

Himu

« Reply #1246 on: March 30, 2020, 06:34:21 PM »
I'd take furniture over trophies. It's almost impossible to not beat the villagers and furniture is a bigger win than a trophy imo.

Do you have a hammock tasty? What about pool chairs?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1247 on: March 30, 2020, 06:39:11 PM »
Hammock yes, pool chairs no. Unfortunately the ABD maxes out at 5 items ordered per day tho.

Himu

« Reply #1248 on: March 30, 2020, 06:40:09 PM »
Oh well

Got the perfect place for a hammock
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1249 on: March 30, 2020, 07:33:48 PM »

Translators note: Cerveza means beer. That's beer they're drinking.

Jesus Christ, Blathers you fuck.

Some of you guys stress too much about this shit. FFS, you're giving me anxiety and I'm not an anxious person about anything, let alone a video game. Animal Crossing is meant to be chill.

I find the game itself lends to this anxiety :idont Sorry
IYKYK

« Reply #1250 on: March 30, 2020, 08:50:19 PM »
nips 94 now, tuesday morning for me

Tasty

« Reply #1251 on: March 30, 2020, 09:01:40 PM »
That subtle vibration on each knock of the door :delicious

Tasty

« Reply #1252 on: March 30, 2020, 09:07:23 PM »

Pashmina has been secretly hardcore this whole time and now we're horror movie besties. 🤘

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1253 on: March 30, 2020, 09:09:12 PM »

I finally made a real friend. :winning

©@©™

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #1254 on: March 30, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #1255 on: March 30, 2020, 09:59:33 PM »
Won't bother to read the thread but if you do this I hate you  :maf

https://twitter.com/karnaliker/status/1243977580216111104

Himu

« Reply #1256 on: March 30, 2020, 10:06:20 PM »

Won't bother to read the thread but if you do this I hate you  :maf

https://twitter.com/karnaliker/status/1243977580216111104

Fuck off. Billy fucking sucks and I have no regrets. That villager in the tweet is CUTE.

Look at this.

This isn't cute nor is it cool. They deserve to be hit.

Compare with them:

cool

adorable AF

looks like a potential bestie

No one should ever have to humor an ugly animal. The only reason that person was wrong is because Ozzie is adorable.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:21:09 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1257 on: March 30, 2020, 10:43:27 PM »
Speaking of which, hitting a villager with a net does NOT make them leave in this game. Fair warning :tocry
IYKYK

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1258 on: March 30, 2020, 10:54:13 PM »
ALL MANILA CLAMS AND NO STRINGFISH MAKE JACK A DULL BOY
WDW