Author Topic: Phil Fish (Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself :drops mic)  (Read 31582 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Aren't the cryptic puzzles at the end supposed to be what elevates it above that simple premise?

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Also both Dyack and Fish are Canadian. Just what are the Canucks doing up there...
Fish is Quebec personified. He's a unique flower who demands attention from the rows upon rows of dandelions surrounding him. But once he gets attention, he's shocked that the dandelions shoot their seed at him.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Man, everybody seems to hate Quebec and French Canadians.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
BUY SKULLS OF THE SHOGUN, NOW ON STEAM

I'LL GIVE YOU A HUG

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
Sho you need to it like this :

"Have you seen my dick? it's huge - i'm a sexual panther, you guys are all stale prawn cocks. Wait till you see my game, it's a revolution of the soul and mind and if you don't like it then that probably means you bum people in the gob. $XX is filthy poor levels anyways - if you can't afford that, then i don't want the stale smell of your failed gene pool anywhere near my master piece - you know what Mona Lisa was smirking at? She was watching Citizen Kane on an old tv but she could see someone playing Skulls in the tv glass reflection. etc etc"

just dial it up to 11

Actually - just get involved "here at <name> we think it's important to let us know how you feel - buy X copies of GAMEY and we'll pay to have Fish bricked up into a building of your choice."
O=X

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

Raban

• The baby...
SRY

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
PC master race :gaben
©@©™

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Nice doucheburns
sup

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Indie games are cool and can lead to some cool, outside the box experiences, for sure.  And it's nice for developers to have an avenue to utilize for getting more niche stuff out there.

BUT.  There really is something to be said of forcing people to work in a structured environment where they have to shut the fuck up and do what they're fucking told sometimes, isn't there?
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I saw Fez and then passed on it because it looked like another boring 16 bit indie platformer with special snowflake jizz drizzled all over it

was i right
There's a huge 'end-game' puzzle marathon, where you can decode a cipher, among other things. Haven't played it myself, but that seems to be why it's so popular.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I saw Fez and then passed on it because it looked like another boring 16 bit indie platformer with special snowflake jizz drizzled all over it

was i right
There's a huge 'end-game' puzzle marathon, where you can decode a cipher, among other things. Haven't played it myself, but that seems to be why it's so popular.

Then once you solve it, you find out that you've been building a nuclear bomb all along omg! :euphoric
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Read this and then realize you're smart for never giving Phil Fish a penny of your money [unless you already did]:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/04/why-it-took-almost-a-week-for-the-world-to-completely-finish-fez/2/
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I actually like that. 100% completion is a waste of time regardless of what the reward is, even if it is something as 'meaningful' as the last achievement or something. I'm not sure what the people who spend their time on it were expecting. "Thank you for playing" wouldn't haven been much better, but maybe that's just me.

Shame it's not an actual puzzle though. Or has someone since found out a way to actually solve it?

I hope this guy is trying to be Andy Kaufman. If not, dude has serious issues and needs to get his shit figured out.
野球

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
He certainly has an Andy Kaufman type hairdo.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

was i right

Then once you solve it, you find out that you've been building a nuclear bomb all along omg! :euphoric
Gantz :rejoice

He certainly has an Andy Kaufman type hairdo.

My good friend who is an extremely sane and polite game developer, has similar mutton chops.
野球

magus

• LIKES FF7
Read this and then realize you're smart for never giving Phil Fish a penny of your money [unless you already did]:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/04/why-it-took-almost-a-week-for-the-world-to-completely-finish-fez/2/

yeah i knew of fez code because guacamelee has one of those hidden in the cathedral

<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6130441&postcount=513

Quote from: phil_fish
ive been bi-polar all my life.
altho i dont KNOW, i dont think the guy could have actually pull the trigger on anybody.
it takes a special kind of person to do that.
but it really just takes a poor little depressed dude to SAY things like that.

it was hella stupid on his part to say things like that, especially using the VA killings to add a bit more shock value to the whole thing. if the guy said things like that, then the guy was obviously in a hell of a low.

i know how these go. things seem absolutely hopeless...you get "despair attacks" where maybe for the span of one nights, things looks like theyll never get better. you say things. you do things. you regret them. i pitty the poor ****er that he got mixed up with this VA mess. it wasnt alright of him to pull that shit, and i cant blame the girl for being freaked out and calling the cops. but oh boy, what bad timing.

also, most of you are all ****ing jerks.
imagine being a pudgy jewish kid with googley eyes and what seems like somekind of mild mental illness... imagine being ridiculed on the internet because you dared put together an earnest little review show. it has to SUCK to be this guy. suck HARD.

one of the bigger challenges of being bi-polar is damage control. or atleast trying not to say and do those things you KNOW you shouldnt do. but sometimes you cant help yourself,  you **** up hardcore and you get in that kind of trouble.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

altho i dont KNOW, i dont think the guy could have actually pull the trigger on anybody.

it was hella stupid on his part to say things like that, especially using the VA killings to add a bit more shock value to the whole thing. if the guy said things like that, then the guy was obviously in a hell of a low.

i know how these go. things seem absolutely hopeless...you get "despair attacks" where maybe for the span of one nights, things looks like theyll never get better. you say things. you do things. you regret them. i pitty the poor ****er that he got mixed up with this VA mess. it wasnt alright of him to pull that shit, and i cant blame the girl for being freaked out and calling the cops. but oh boy, what bad timing.

imagine being a pudgy jewish kid with googley eyes and what seems like somekind of mild mental illness... imagine being ridiculed on the internet because you dared put together an earnest little review show. it has to SUCK to be this guy. suck HARD.

one of the bigger challenges of being bi-polar is damage control. or atleast trying not to say and do those things you KNOW you shouldnt do. but sometimes you cant help yourself,  you **** up hardcore and you get in that kind of trouble.

Nicca is trollin'

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Completely agree with him in that video
Drunk

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
A MGS fan agreeing? Not surprising after 4. 

Diunx

At least Kojima learn from his mistakes and brought Jack Bauer on board for the next one :american
Drunk

Rahxephon91

You'd have to be an idiot to agree with him on that.

He also really comes off as a big douche in that video. "Look at me I'm trying to be cool, look at how nonchalantly I say this".

And it's funny now to look at how he's throwing a temper tantrum when someone's being a douche to him.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:33:07 PM by Rahxephon91 »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Blow only play 3D Zelda or something.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
I don't care that he doesn't like Japanese games or that he's rude to certain people. In most situations I try to separate the work from the man in any art form. I'm not saying everybody else has to follow that practice but I'm saying that's what I generally do unless the person is on a hitler level style of evil.

The thing is though you can't have strong aggressive and sometimes controversial opinions without having an equally thick skin. That's life. I'm not sure how old the dude is but at this point that's a lesson he really needs to learn.

Not to mention he is mad because people a relatively small segment of people on TWITTER ARE MEAN TO HIM! How insane is that. A service that you volunteer to be on so you can talk to random idiots. I mean its literally like someone quitting their job in real life because somebody insulted them on the bore. Instead of taking the logical step of stop posting on the bore. (Or in this case stop posting on twitter or make your twitter account private). It's the ultimate first world problem.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:47:04 PM by Stoney Mason »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Spergs are gonna special fellow, Stoney.

:yeshrug
yar

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Phil Fish (Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself :drops mic)
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »
Blow is psycho, fish is bipolar, that capy dude went nutzo

Indie devs are crazy

Sho, what is your social dysfunction?
dur

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Three out of whoever know how many isn't exactly telling us anything, is it?
Then again, either you know you have a shot at this from correct analysis, or you are off your rocker but not enough to fail making a game.

Nicca is trollin'
How can you tell? Now, him being bi-polar fits the picture (and he seems to sympathise with whoever the OP was about), but I assume he's taking meds now, so... I guess he's still an ass. :lol
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:02:57 PM by Rufus »

Lucretius

There's a saying in my line of work.
"You can't be a bitch and a crybaby."
lip

Lucretius

Also, does this mean he's never going to patch that one broken game he put out for the 360 after all?
lip

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Also, does this mean he's never going to patch that one broken game he put out for the 360 after all?

:heh :sabu

Himu

The gamelife guy was arrested? What was the sentence?
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
6 months of being Phil Fish's roommate
yar

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
BUY SKULLS OF THE SHOGUN, NOW ON STEAM

I'LL GIVE YOU A HUG

Unless it's a side hug, no sale.   >:(

Didn't he alread--Oh, fuck.

originalz

• Z!?
Yo man Japanese games suck and you all fools for liking them.

(makes a game which heavily apes the style of retro console games)

(when people ask indie creators what their big inspirations are, you'll always see the same Japanese-made retro games listed, but don't pay attention to that)

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
O.Japan is top tier. Japan sucks.

Diunx

(makes a game which heavily apes the style of retro console games)

(when people ask indie creators what their big inspirations are, you'll always see the same Japanese-made retro games listed, but don't pay attention to that)

He was talking about modern japanese games.
Drunk

Lucretius

Re: Phil Fish (Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself :drops mic)
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »

(makes one broken game which still hasn't been adequately patched which heavily apes the style of retro console games)

fixed it

releases one broken game.
says an entire nation doesn't know how to make good games.
says he'll take the money and run.

burberry hat + Phil Fish
chav meme generator GO!
lip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »

This is the first time I've seen the clip. That poor guy's face while everyone else is laughing. Wow.

Let's just say that regardless of how we got there, I'm glad Fish doesn't have a platform anymore (pun intended). Whether it's Kaufman or Poe's, from now on I'll make a bigger effort to not contribute to the egos of any narcissistic nerds, as I am incapable of separating the craftsman from the craft (a.k.a Chinatown).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:42:51 PM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »

Indie devs are crazy

Sex addiction? :drool
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
I don't really give a fuck about the person behind the game. Is the game good? Yes? awesome, I'll play. No? awesome, I'm not gonna play.

Buncha weirdos basing their opinions on some personality bullshit like it really matters.
nat

Himu

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
I base my judgement on Fez because of Crush for the psp. Fish is only fucking extra.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »

jesus christ I had to turn that off after a minute  :-\

Come on...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2013, 02:30:43 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

@AnnoyedGamer should have responded "I've already consumed both of those."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2013, 02:46:55 AM »

This is the first time I've seen the clip. That poor guy's face while everyone else is laughing. Wow.

Let's just say that regardless of how we got there, I'm glad Fish doesn't have a platform anymore (pun intended). Whether it's Kaufman or Poe's, from now on I'll make a bigger effort to not contribute to the egos of any narcissistic nerds, as I am incapable of separating the craftsman from the craft (a.k.a Chinatown).
Yeah, I'm also happy I never put money in Fish's pockets. The broiling anger simmering around GDC after he said that was substantial, but today is the first time I'd actually seen how he said it, and now I'm even happier that I never gave Fish any money. There is absolutely no consideration for the degree of effort that Japanese freelance programmer manifested: flying to the USA, participating in an English-language professionals' convention, and getting up and asking a question in English.

Wasn't there also a huge stink where Fish whined about some other major indie game not being indie because it was on XBLA, and then his own game won the indie aware and was also on XBLA? Was that Super Meat Boy?

Indie devs are crazy

He likes to triangle-choke people.

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2013, 04:03:54 AM »

How rude  :(

First time ever seeing this clip or even hearing of this event at all. Why he couldn't just answer the question like a regular human being is beyond me. I mean, just showing this guy the respect he obviously has for him back.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2013, 05:11:48 AM »
I don't really give a fuck about the person behind the game. Is the game good? Yes? awesome, I'll play. No? awesome, I'm not gonna play.

Buncha weirdos basing their opinions on some personality bullshit like it really matters.

I won't act as if I'm going to research the people behind every game I buy, but when we reach Fish's level of publicity, and where his fuckery is literally revolving around "I'm rich, I'm hot, look at my sales, look at my fame, here's my dick, choke on it!" meaning my money is directly inflating that ego, I'll try to do something about it. My disdain for dumb nerds supersedes my desire to play dumb games. I've got too many to last me a lifetime, I'd manage without playing theirs.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 05:49:49 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2013, 05:40:04 AM »
http://www.edge-online.com/features/phil-fish-and-the-hate-mob-an-internet-tragedy/

But there are precious few people in Phil Fish’s position who are willing or capable of stirring up such debate, and almost none who are as entertaining. You might hate him, but he made Fez – and as such, he’s probably better than you.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2013, 05:49:50 AM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »
http://www.edge-online.com/features/phil-fish-and-the-hate-mob-an-internet-tragedy/

But there are precious few people in Phil Fish’s position who are willing or capable of stirring up such debate, and almost none who are as entertaining. You might hate him, but he made Fez – and as such, he’s probably better than you.

uhhh no. FUCK no that does not make him better than me. really anyone who can treat people with basic respect in their daily interactions is better than phil fish.
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »
The game industry needs more people like Phil Fish, and it’ll be all the poorer for his absence if he’s really gone.

roflmao
dog

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »
watch?v=qYpMxMPZ-Mk

How rude  :(

First time ever seeing this clip or even hearing of this event at all. Why he couldn't just answer the question like a regular human being is beyond me. I mean, just showing this guy the respect he obviously has for him back.

I imagine sometimes he hates himself for this, he'll lie in bed thinking why am i such a giant piece of shit? WHy does everyone hate me? I should change. Then wake up the next day and continue being a piece of shit, such is the life of a shithead.   

The whole panel is stupid to the point of being insulting,  "japanese games suck" -everyone laughs - one guy praises Souls as an outlier then uses only modern Nintendo pandering to casual western audiences as an example. The irony is too great with this shithead (and these other devs most likely also) pointing the finger at the community being toxic.
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2013, 08:04:57 AM »

:rofl Edge. I feel sorry for that writer feeling inferior to someone because they made a flavour of the month indie platformer
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:06:37 AM by Butt Seriously »
◕‿◕

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »
I don't understand the hate for Jonathan Blow. He seems pretty well spoken and explains his points logically. His discussion on the GB E3 podcasts were interesting to listen to.
nat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »
 The writing in Braid (the parts between levels) was dumb, but Blow gets hit with the pretension stick a lot outside of that, for reasons I don't really understand.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2013, 09:04:28 AM »

Their complaints are all found in most western games, not to mention that their games aren't even good.

Braid was meh, mid-tier side scroller with a bad story.

I hate this method of marginalizing. HATE.

"Their games are bad so their opinions are invalid!"

What? That makes no sense! And it's such a lazy way of dismissing criticism. Nothing Blow said was outrageous or necessarily wrong. He even goes as far to say that western games have their own set of problems but I agree with his assessment of Japanese games in general.
nat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2013, 09:05:16 AM »
Yeah it's ironic they are the ones complaining about Japanese games when their own games are not shining examples of Western design at all.