Author Topic: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: I don't know what I just saw  (Read 946190 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: When It Reigns, It Bores
« Reply #3180 on: January 11, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »
Vince is emoticon worthy in everything he does. I'll use it, goddammit! He's probably the most gifable wrestling entity.
\
 \

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #3181 on: January 15, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
Haha the fuck is that shit? I've seen better (and just as bad/wore) at local indie shows.
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3182 on: January 15, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »

FunSlower

« Reply #3183 on: January 16, 2017, 09:25:52 AM »
Fuck Snuka.

FunSlower

« Reply #3184 on: January 16, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »
I see a lot of money in Dunne. Very convincing cunt.

archie4208

« Reply #3185 on: January 16, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/821117398493364225

Kurt Angle in the HoF?  Oh it's true.  It's damn true.

FunSlower

« Reply #3186 on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
Hopefully this ensures Angle will never wrestle again.

FunSlower

« Reply #3187 on: January 17, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »
I see a lot of money in Dunne. Very convincing cunt.

He's almost too convincing of a cunt. In that he seems like he might actually be a rapist.

Maybe. Fortunately for him, it won't stand in the way of a successful wrestling career.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3188 on: January 17, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »
Has it been mentioned that Sami and KO are basically flipped in real life? How Sami is kind of a tool who talks over people and KO is the nicest dude?

Last night during the segment where Sami was talking to Reigns and Rollins my girlfriend said out loud "This is probably the most accurate portrayal of real-life Sami I bet"
nat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3189 on: January 18, 2017, 12:49:32 AM »
Miz got roasted :lol

archie4208

« Reply #3190 on: January 18, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
Mickie James still looking great.  :lawd

FunSlower

« Reply #3191 on: January 18, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »
Smackdown was good?

archie4208

« Reply #3192 on: January 18, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
What I saw was ok.

Miz/AJ was a decent TV match
Ziggler threatened to kill Jerry Lawler
The women's match was fine.

FunSlower

« Reply #3193 on: January 18, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »
Ziggler threatening to kill Lawler and Lawler being announced to call the Rumble sure sounds like Ziggler will get eliminated by Lawler in the Rumble. :/

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3194 on: January 18, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
Lawler is looking rough. I know he's like 1000 years old and still wrestles but damn, he is starting to really look it now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3195 on: January 18, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
Ziggler threatening to kill Lawler and Lawler being announced to call the Rumble sure sounds like Ziggler will get eliminated by Lawler in the Rumble. :/

I took that segment as "See?  We do remember that Ziggler is still employed!"
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3196 on: January 18, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
it's especially annoying as his storyline is just on repeat now. "dolph loses all the time but this time he's gonna do it!" "oh, he lost"

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3197 on: January 18, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »
But now he's a heel again! :smug
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3198 on: January 18, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
lmao, Vince is the greatest.

El Babua

« Reply #3199 on: January 18, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »
Reading Stro's reviews reiterate the fact that Wrestling in the Attitude Era was mostly garbage until the WCW guys came in.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3200 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:12 AM »
Guess it's unsanitary to mention that i started working thru the archives at the start of 96 this week then :o

FunSlower

« Reply #3201 on: January 19, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »
Yeah, Attitude Era fortunately has been exposed to how bad wrestling was in that period. I still think New Kayfabe can work, if people actually put in the work, instead of pretending to be pals all the time.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3202 on: January 19, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
I dunno.  I wasn't even watching wrasslin' during that time (came back to it in '99), but whenever I go back and watch the older stuff, I enjoy it.  There was just something about that time period where even the lowest card crap felt like it at least mattered.
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3203 on: January 19, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »
It's tough for me to go back to that. But I grew up watching WWF in the late 80s so that's probably the same kind of feel. I sure do miss jobber matches, though, with the inset promo during the squash. Warlord. Shit like that.

The crowd was just always a constant state of being hot. Wrestling was so cool. Definitely felt like it in the Attitude Era as well, but man, the no contests/DQ finishes were ungodly bad. And then I watch some Summerslam with D'Lo Brown vs Val Venis and it's a fuckin' clinic.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3204 on: January 19, 2017, 12:07:44 PM »
Me too.  I was into WWF during the late 80s through around 1995, then just lost interest when all the "New Generation" stuff started.  Went back to it in the summer of 1999, after watching one of their cheesy VHS tapes that was all about the (heel) Rock, with fake backstory and skits.  Loved that shit.  I remember turning on RAW and seeing the big millennium countdown clock and Jericho debut, and having zero idea who he was.  :lol  Would flip back and forth between WWF and WCW and always prefer WWF. 

I was less about the wrestling for a while and just liked all the 'entertainment' parts.  I marked the hell out for "What" too.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3205 on: January 19, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »
I've seen some make the argument that we have a better number of in ring workers now then before but they also lacking charisma, character, psychology and booking. So it's all a wash.

This is the biggest problem nowadays.  And I also hate how so many guys/gals just get generic names and no nicknames or gimmicks to go along with them. 
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3206 on: January 19, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »
The gulf is huge between people that have IT and those that don't. Like Tye Dillinger. He ain't got IT. You see him wrestle people who have it, and he doesn't. He's pounded gimmicks for a decade and finally found one a crowd likes to chant with, but that ain't enough.

Then you got people complaining about folks being called up because he's green. That's fine. Being green doesn't matter. Having IT matters more than anything else. Like em sink or swim, and quick. WWE needs to do away with the dead weight that they signed and can't find a GREAT reason to fire. Let's see who in current NXT has IT, in my eyes...not the house show folks, but the ones on TV.

Cien Almas - can't fuckin tell with his gimmick, it overshadows who he is
Angelo Dawkins - nope
Austin Aries - sort of yeah, but he should also retire
Bobby Roode - no
Buddy Murphy - NOPE
Dash Wilder - no
Elias Samson - no, second coming of Sandow which is another one that should have been cut ages ago
Eric Young - no no no
Itami - sadly no
Gargano - no
Chris Hero - yes
No Way Jose - yes, surprisingly he absolutely has IT
Rich Swann - sadly no
Roderick Strong - where has he been?
Joey Samoey - yeah he does
Sawyer Fulton - no, doesnt matter because he's hurt
Scott Dawson - no
Nakamura - yes
Tomasso Ciampa - yes, he does
Tino Sabbatelli - no
Tye Dillinger - no
Wesley Blake - no

Asuka - Yes
Aliyah - no
Billie Kay - yeah, actually yeah
Ember Moon - no
Liv Morgan - yeah
Mandy Rose - doesnt look like it
Peyton Royce - no

That's not a comprehensive list, and a lot of people who do not have "IT" I really, really enjoy. But I can see beyond that, to me, and recognize if they're gonna have big appeal, and a lot don't.

FunSlower

« Reply #3207 on: January 19, 2017, 02:21:19 PM »
I wonder how many Attitude Era matches w/JR on commentary have him say "Well nobody said this would be pretty" or any other permutation of "This is barely wrestling, sorry" that he threw a lot out there.

Well, they gotta hire tiny dudes because they need some others who do have it (Devitt for instance) so they look good against other Tiny Talents.

And yeah I'd say Wolfgang was the big guy, and he was <5'10. lmao. AVERAGE HEIGHT. I still don't see anything in Gargano. Fine wrussler, but I'm not seeing it. I think Chad Gable has IT, but not his partner, sadly. But he's also teensy.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3208 on: January 19, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
Saw a dirtsheet rumor that Michael Cole will be transitioning to a backstage role and will stop commentating. :hyper

But this is supposedly still a ways away.  :-\
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3209 on: January 19, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »
I really don't have any opinion of Michael Cole, but I think that Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton do very well. The internet has some sort of hate-on for Byron (mostly Simpsons fans, because they're terrible humans) but I find him completely serviceable and a good foil to JBL when he's around. Graves is top notch and has found his calling. They're in good hands with or without Cole. Cole needs a break!

FunSlower

« Reply #3210 on: January 19, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »
Yeah, Cole is and has always been just there. Not offensive. Not great. Just there. Byron and Tom are both also just there. JBL is horrific, though. Dude has been absolute garbage since he came back. Mauro sucked the second he got comfortable and could let his cheesy ass self come out.

Cory/Tom is the best team right now for sure in WWE.

"MAMA MIA!"
"I guess you could say Kane's entrance is LIT!"
"The one man fiesta, he better be careful because he could be enjoying a painful siesta against Austin Aries"
"These two have more chemistry than a periodic table"

stop pls

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3211 on: January 19, 2017, 05:22:13 PM »
Mauro's line the day that the Trump piss stuff was revealed was hilarious though:

"AJ Styles first year in WWE has been golden, he's been showered with praise for his in ring performances" :rofl

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3212 on: January 19, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
I really don't have any opinion of Michael Cole, but I think that Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton do very well. The internet has some sort of hate-on for Byron (mostly Simpsons fans, because they're terrible humans) but I find him completely serviceable and a good foil to JBL when he's around. Graves is top notch and has found his calling. They're in good hands with or without Cole. Cole needs a break!

I've really come around on Byron. Every week he somehow finds a new way to be an even bigger fucking dork.

Mauro has kinda been driving me nuts for a while. And Otunga is just unbearable to me personally

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #3213 on: January 20, 2017, 07:38:45 AM »
Rumble 2000 was one of the best PPV's they did. The match quality wasn't super amazing, but the crowd was just lit up from the opener to the end, Angle getting murdered didn't hurt Angle's credibility a single iota (If anything it helped his growing "Obvlivious doofus" gimmick) and the intercontinental three way being slow and not great worked in the favour of the show since it slowed the pace down, but it didn't burn people out because it was short enough, the crowd was hot as fuck for Jericho who was booked smartly to get his shit in and take the title. 

Have to watch it again some day. Thanks Stro.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3214 on: January 20, 2017, 08:11:22 AM »
Yeah, Cole is and has always been just there. Not offensive. Not great. Just there.

He's usually awful and often times makes me not care about matches.  JR was great at making every match feel like a big deal. 

And did you guys forget about HEEL COLE and his feud with Lawler?  :doge

Actually speaking of that, Cole was awesome when he was on that women's NXT show just shitting all over the women and hitting that gong.  :lol  I'd that Michael Cole any day of the week.

Mauro's line the day that the Trump piss stuff was revealed was hilarious though:

"AJ Styles first year in WWE has been golden, he's been showered with praise for his in ring performances" :rofl

:rofl
ど助平

FunSlower

« Reply #3215 on: January 20, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »
Rumble 2000 was one of the best PPV's they did. The match quality wasn't super amazing, but the crowd was just lit up from the opener to the end, Angle getting murdered didn't hurt Angle's credibility a single iota (If anything it helped his growing "Obvlivious doofus" gimmick) and the intercontinental three way being slow and not great worked in the favour of the show since it slowed the pace down, but it didn't burn people out because it was short enough, the crowd was hot as fuck for Jericho who was booked smartly to get his shit in and take the title. 

Have to watch it again some day. Thanks Stro.

A hot crowd can go a very long way, I agree.

FunSlower

« Reply #3216 on: January 20, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
Lance Russell  :rejoice

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3217 on: January 20, 2017, 01:25:57 PM »
:bow Rumble 2000 :bow2

ど助平

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3218 on: January 20, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
Attitude Era embraced the Jerry Springer trash TV aspect well and it's still entertaining because of it. Most of the matches sucked and some of the segments were corny, but overall it was entertaining to watch. Unlike the slog we get on raw now for three hours a week.

Yeah, too many DQ/No contest matches back then, but I'm not going to act like this past era's seemingly endless 6 man tag main events and champion losing with no championship on the line matches is any better.

I'll still take Attitude Era WWF over most other eras of WWE. Rock N' Wrestling had great shit too but does suffer from a lack of good in ring workers aside from Jake The Snake and others. I've seen some make the argument that we have a better number of in ring workers now than before but they also lack charisma, character, psychology and booking. So it's all a wash.

And I'm not one of those Wrestling's good old days folks either. I just find that the Attitude Era's highs outweighs it's lows, but I do get not liking it as much as others because it was clearly aimed at teenage dudes.

I guess I lack the sophistication to appreciate wrestling the way Stro and Sunflower do. I can see the difference between 'good' and 'bad' wrestling, but I also don't care nearly as much as either of those guys. In any case I appreciate the passion, and I trust and even will differ to both of their opinions as these are clearly two nerds who have dedicated way more time and thought on the subject than I ever will.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3219 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
Definitely not, but shit looks a lot different through nostalgia lenses, and I have a perverse interest in any pop culture that sinks as low as the AE does. Also fwiw my last post came off a lot snarkier than I intended, I just don't have the familiarity, investment or knowledge that either of you guys have

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3220 on: January 21, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
 :goty2

austin is still cool tho

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3221 on: January 21, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »

:rejoice

El Babua

« Reply #3222 on: January 21, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »

:rejoice

That period of WWE from late '96 to '97 was some really good stuff still.

A combination of proto-attitude era with New Generation ring work.

Canadian Stampede :rejoice

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #3223 on: January 22, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
Saw the Positively Kanyon compilation in the sidebar. Had to throw it in here because it's the best

For as much trash as WCW 2000 put out, that shit was hilarious. Kanyon got lined with some appalling gimmicks but he went 110% with them every time (Alliance MVP Kanyon :rejoice )

RIP you magnificent man.

FunSlower

« Reply #3224 on: January 23, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
Attitude Era embraced the Jerry Springer trash TV aspect well and it's still entertaining because of it. Most of the matches sucked and some of the segments were corny, but overall it was entertaining to watch. Unlike the slog we get on raw now for three hours a week.

Yeah, too many DQ/No contest matches back then, but I'm not going to act like this past era's seemingly endless 6 man tag main events and champion losing with no championship on the line matches is any better.

I'll still take Attitude Era WWF over most other eras of WWE. Rock N' Wrestling had great shit too but does suffer from a lack of good in ring workers aside from Jake The Snake and others. I've seen some make the argument that we have a better number of in ring workers now than before but they also lack charisma, character, psychology and booking. So it's all a wash.

And I'm not one of those Wrestling's good old days folks either. I just find that the Attitude Era's highs outweighs it's lows, but I do get not liking it as much as others because it was clearly aimed at teenage dudes.

I guess I lack the sophistication to appreciate wrestling the way Stro and Sunflower do. I can see the difference between 'good' and 'bad' wrestling, but I also don't care nearly as much as either of those guys. In any case I appreciate the passion, and I trust and even will differ to both of their opinions as these are clearly two nerds who have dedicated way more time and thought on the subject than I ever will.

Eh, you grow up at different times, you attach yourself to different things.

The beginning of the Attitude Era was so fucking hot and wonderful. Right before Bret left. Felt like a powder keg - crowds kept getting wilder and wilder for it and the action kept ramping up. Felt like a legit fight was going to happen.

I'm down on a lot of the AE because I remember the little things and they really sour me. For every hot segment with Austin/McMahon (which Vince never gets enough credit for because of who he is and what he does, but he's absolutely half of the genius between him and Austin, both were perfect) there's a shitty segment with Al Snow, who has always sucked (imho)

I mean you had the fucking Brood! Do I remember any awesome matches with them? Not...really. But that's fine, because they were dope theme music and a hot entrance. Now only if my boys the Ascension would be remembered as fondly for having great music and a great entrance... I'm getting off on a tangent, not literally, but I'm derailed.

I'm trying to say the AE is great, but spending time watching old shit has been really rewarding and I recommend everyone to try it, usually because you feel really cool when you see something done in the early 80s that was done later in the 90s or later, but it had this kind of heart to it that you don't see as often. Like, I could watch WCCW in its heyday ALL DAY because they did some hot shit, but there's also Al Snow-tier shit going on there. Get that trash Bugsy McGraw off of my TV. But Kerry Von Erich? Goddamn did he have potential. RIP.

Yeah that post really meandered, I guess what I mean is you can still like the shallow shit, but it's definitely worth your time to grab an episode out of WWE Network's vault, FFWD through the boring shit and watch some of the dope shit out there, because it is legitimately pretty amazing. Great personalities. Like this gem:
Jimmy Garvin is David Von Erich's Valet for a Day:

Really goddamned good and was the pinnacle of a feud between those two, and it was sweet justice. Really great to watch, even better if you get to watch the backstory. Jimmy Garvin is absolutely one of my favorite dudes.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3225 on: January 23, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »
What would you recommend as a starting point if I wanna check out the 80s era material?

Also, this probably is gonna be the third time I've switched eras since deciding I wanted to catch up - first I thought "I'll go back to around when the Nexus was about to take off, see where the current roster started" then "Eh, they just added all the AE raws, might as well start at there," and now this :lol

FunSlower

« Reply #3226 on: January 23, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »
Admittedly a good place to start is with the Originals on the Network. There's some nice documentaries they've done that shine a light on different times, and you can see folks in those eras you might want to watch more of. Some of the Legends of Wrestling Roundtables are also good as they discuss different subjects and show you video, but you might be in the dark for some of it. Let me see what the Network has that I'd recommend...

Triumph and Tragedy of WCCW
WWE Rivalries series, specifically Rhodes/Flair
Top 25 Rivalries, any list-oriented special that isn't specifically "OMG Moments" etc - but something more historical, like the most powerful families in wrestling, etc.
Road Warriors documentary

There's a lot of just plain STUFF out there. Wade into what sounds good, and don't be afraid to dip out if you don't like it.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3227 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
Road Warriors documentary is real good, i'll second that

WCCW, Georgia Championship, and AWA are all good places to look for 70s/80s stuff. There's some early/mid 80s AWA and WCCW on the network. Some real good mid 90s Smoky Mountain on there too that is a good watch. Stro has some good mid/late 80s Canadian and Mid South stuff up at https://www.legitshook.com/collections/ too

The late 80s NWA/WCW stuff is also :delicious

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3228 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
Oh duh also the Memphis stuff from that time is another good place to look and is on Legit Shook. The King in his prime :preach

FunSlower

« Reply #3229 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
Memphis is fascinating, but I sure do love old WCCW. Stro is THE resource to ask about these things, he's dug back even to the 50s and reviewed a lot of really awesome stuff. legitshook.com for all your wrasslin historian needs.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3230 on: January 23, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
Added the WCCW to the watchlist and bookmarked the LS memphis collection, thanks ya'll

Watching raw. I kinda can't stand the cruiserweights at all, and I was really looking forward to it. I think Jack Gallagher might be my least favorite guy on the roster.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3231 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »
Gallagher is my favorite cruiserweight actually. The video game kid is the worst

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3232 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:43 PM »
Raw is :zzz.  This is what they're gonna do on the last Raw before the Rumble?  :dizzy
ど助平

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3233 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
Perkins is pretty bad but I actually prefer the blatant shoving of 'kids like videogames and dabbing' in my face than Gallagher. He just reminds me of an extra who would get shot in the first scene of a Guy Ritchie movie

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3234 on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
I more mean that about his promos and mic work in general, as an actual wrestler he seems good though as uneventful as the rest of the CWs right now

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3235 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »
of course as soon as I complain about mic work Titus Oneil shows up lmao

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3236 on: January 23, 2017, 10:47:59 PM »
Gallagher's in ring work in the reason I dig him, mostly. His character is whatever. Also I forgot Neville was a cruiserweight. He's good in the role of dickish heel there and I dig his ring work too.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #3237 on: January 23, 2017, 11:04:05 PM »
wtf was going on with goldberg? was he high? :lol also why was he bleeding?

archie4208

« Reply #3238 on: January 24, 2017, 03:42:50 AM »
I turned Raw off after the first segment.  Seems like I made the right call.  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3239 on: January 24, 2017, 07:28:57 AM »
I turned Raw off after the first segment.  Seems like I made the right call.  :doge

It was almost as if someone realized that this was the go-home show before the Rumble and we had basically one match where Rollins lost his spot to Sami Zayn (due to "interference" from HHH- as in his music playing.  :doge), one segment with tag teams, Stroman, and Titus, and then the main event segment, which was just more Goldberg/Heyman w/Brock promp stuff (including Goldberg stumbling through his lines  :lol) with a surprise Undertaker appearance.  Nothing actually happened on camera, of course.  Just standing around.
ど助平