Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188729 times)

maxy

• Sales Loser
Re: Oscar-sama's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #3000 on: February 12, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
 :whip
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3001 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:06 AM »
Somehow stumbled into this,tons of interesting data about Japanese gaming industry(200 slides)
http://www.slideshare.net/GMOCloud/japanese-gaming-market-2012

Not sure how accurate it is though

MC sales are up
http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20130213060/

DQ7...828k

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:07:45 AM by maxy »
cat

treythemovie

« Reply #3002 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »
I actually expect Ni No Kuni to perform better the Namco's usual Tales offerings. It has the type of anime that western audiences find somewhat acceptable. Now how much better it'll perform I have no idea.

treythemovie

« Reply #3003 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »
Whats that comparison in? DVD sales I assume?

Anyway, Naruto was popular with the young-ins and enjoys a far greater success than the Tales series or most anime do. I don't think the success of Naruto or Pokemon or the like, takes away from the broader appeal a Ghibli-esque game has on the adults who would be buying a PS3 JRPG.

Though I'll admit that a lot of those who do find it more appealing may very well still not buy the game, but only give it token praise.

treythemovie

« Reply #3004 on: February 13, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
And for that, we're all grateful

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3005 on: February 13, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
Ghibli makes bank in Europe, France especially. US I have no clue.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #3006 on: February 13, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »
Disney's marketing does everything in their power to sabotage their releases of Ghibli movies in America.  They made that deal with Ghibli for two reasons: to hog some of Ghibli's critical/Oscar prestige, and to bury the fuck out of a potential competitor.

So Lasseter really is an evil fuck.
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3007 on: February 13, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »
Disney's marketing does everything in their power to sabotage their releases of Ghibli movies in America.  They made that deal with Ghibli for two reasons: to hog some of Ghibli's critical/Oscar prestige, and to bury the fuck out of a potential competitor.

So Lasseter really is an evil fuck.

Nah, the deal with Ghibli was made long before Lasseter had any real pull at Disney HQ.
dog

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #3008 on: February 13, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
But he's more or less in charge now, right?  Has been for a few years, and as a self professed Miyazaki fan this somehow keeps happening anyway.  Speaking of which I haven't seen the newer ghibli thing yet. 
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3009 on: February 13, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
But he's more or less in charge now, right?  Has been for a few years, and as a self professed Miyazaki fan this somehow keeps happening anyway.  Speaking of which I haven't seen the newer ghibli thing yet. 

From Up on Poppy Hill is being released theatrical [not by Disney] in a few weeks. Ghibli's got two more movies out in the summer and the fall of this year.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3010 on: February 14, 2013, 02:54:22 AM »

Well, they have gotten better since he took over. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle only played on a few hundred screens, but Ponyo and Arrietty both got semi-wide releases. Marketing is still pretty non-existent though.
©@©™

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #3011 on: February 14, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
Yeah I saw Arrietty at a local mall cineplex. Such a joy to see on a proper big screen. Mononoke was deffo sent to die initially and the only reason they even bothered bringing out more Gihlbi films on home video was that it was outselling some of Disney's own catalog shit. Once they saw the dollar signs they pulled their heads out of their asses a little bit. And as a bonus these films already have an audience so they don't even have to try to market them and will make money anyway! :lol Should note that my eight year old niece loves Ghibli stuff and has seen pretty much everything that her folks are ok with showing her, so they could be making more money off of these films if they felt like it.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:17:14 PM by Trent Dole »
Hi

« Reply #3012 on: February 14, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »

Well, they have gotten better since he took over. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle only played on a few hundred screens, but Ponyo and Arrietty both got semi-wide releases. Marketing is still pretty non-existent though.

I remember seeing Mononoke on opening day in Seattle. There were four of us in the theater...

Howl's and Spirited Away were both totally sold out, though.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3013 on: February 14, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »
I got to see Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and Arrietty on the big screen. I'm hoping that Up On Poppy Hill gets a wide enough release to be showing somewhere near where I live, but that one's being released theatrically by GKIDS.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3014 on: February 14, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
I was on a date when I saw Arrietty, and we were the only people in the theatre. Which was a bit surprising, as it was is in Queens which is like Asian-central (my date was a Chinese girl... who later turned out to be crazy).

Princess Mononoke (my first Ghibli flick) was at the local LI movie theatre that shows lots of indie flicks and I remember it getting a fair amount of people. Since that theatre tends to draw crowds who go to lots of different movies (they sell season passes and such). Ditto for when I saw Howl's at that same theatre. Spirited Away was at a regular theatre in Buffalo and I don't really remember how crowded it was, I convinced all my college friends to go and surprisingly they all liked it, even though most of them's only prior anime exposure had been DBZ.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:10:28 PM by tiesto »
^_^

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3015 on: February 14, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »
cat

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #3016 on: February 14, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
Today will be fun :teehee
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3017 on: February 14, 2013, 06:28:33 PM »
Hope we get some WiiU numbers
Microsoft has just revealed in advance of the January NPD report that its Xbox 360 console has once again topped the competition, selling 281,000 units in January, marking the 25th consecutive month that Xbox 360 has been the top selling console in the US.

Overall, more than $338 million was spent on Xbox 360 retail (including games, consoles and accessories) in January, while Xbpx 360 held 44 percent share of the current-generation console market.

MS could be including WiiU numbers into current generation.

Call of Duty continues to top the charts as 2013 gets off to slow start

After an abysmal 2012 for video games retail, US game sales in January were perhaps slightly more encouraging (depending on your viewpoint), as total industry sales climbed nine percent to $834.7 million. Hardware sales increased four percent to $205 million while software (including PC games) was flat at almost $393 million. Accessories, however, jumped 30 percent to $256.6 million, thanks to Skylanders and point or subscription cards.

The news is tempered somewhat by the fact that January was a five-week reporting period for The NPD Group. NPD explained that a 'Leap Week' is needed every five to six years "in order to preserve the seasonal integrity of the months." The last adjustment was made in January 2007, and NPD said this is "consistent with the US-based National Retail Federation's (NRF) published Retailer Calendar, which most retailers and NPD follow."

So in truth, software sales for the month, when normalized for a normal reporting period, were actually down 19 percent, NPD explained.

With the exception of Capcom's new Devil May Cry, January saw no major releases to speak of on the top ten, so 2012's year-end hot sellers like Call of Duty and Far Cry 3 continued to top the charts. That said, new releases did fare a bit better than in past January periods. "While the number of new SKUs was relatively consistent for January 2013 compared to January 2012, performance of new SKUs this year versus last was six times as high, lifted by the success of titles like DMC: Devil May Cry and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch," observed NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan.

From a publisher's standpoint, Ubisoft fared quite well with three of the top ten - see the full chart below.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:37:34 PM by maxy »
cat

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace

« Reply #3019 on: February 14, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »
No no Kuni.

While the number of new SKUs was relatively consistent for January 2013 compared to January 2012, performance of new SKUs this year versus last was six times as high, lifted by the success of titles like DMC: Devil May Cry and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch," observed NPD industry analyst Liam Callahan.
野球

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #3020 on: February 14, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
list from gaf

DMC being outsold by those old games don't look good at all plus i guess Ni No Kuni is at 11th then (not great either imo)

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3021 on: February 14, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
Number incoming

A rough month for Nintendo: NPD informs us that Wii U's third-month sales are 38% lower than the original Wii's were.
cat

Purple Filth

« Reply #3022 on: February 14, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »
Considering they're also touting DmC (which, looking at its position and typical January numbers for the yearly franchises, is a fucking gigabomb), I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Just waiting for my numbers now.

Info on DMC, Kuni and Hardware plz

Purple Filth

« Reply #3023 on: February 14, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »
Number incoming

A rough month for Nintendo: NPD informs us that Wii U's third-month sales are 38% lower than the original Wii's were.

apparently that puts it at 270K?

Oscar plz

Edit

@gamasutra 4:00 PM
Correction to previous tweets: CUMULATIVE three-month Wii U sales are down 38% vs. Wii's first three months on the market. Apologies!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:03:03 PM by Purple Filth »

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3024 on: February 14, 2013, 07:01:54 PM »
Correction to previous tweets: CUMULATIVE three-month Wii U sales are down 38% vs. Wii's first three months on the market. Apologies!

I was just about to blame Bore,might have to pull out my  :whip

Something doesn't feel right here
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:04:25 PM by maxy »
cat

pilonv1

« Reply #3025 on: February 14, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »

I was just about to blame Bore

Enjoyed the Wii U fanboys on GAF thinking it sold on par with 360 for January
itm

Purple Filth

« Reply #3026 on: February 14, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
Now the new number is 55k

wut

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3027 on: February 14, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
If gamasutra is talking about units then 55k is true

I wish I had some popcorn.
cat

Purple Filth

« Reply #3028 on: February 14, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
Yeah, 55k seems about right.  That was an awesome football yank by Gamasutra, haha.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

whats vita for the lulz?

Purple Filth

hampster

« Reply #3030 on: February 14, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
I guess we know why Nintendo held that direct today :lol
Oh wait, I'll be one of February's 40k :'(

I wonder if Nintendo is going to move from "panic modez" into "we're shipping this Mario and Zelda whether its finished or not"
Zzz

hampster

« Reply #3031 on: February 14, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »
Ni No Kuni is at #11 on the combined sku chart (#7 on the individual games chart)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/npd-black-ops-2-far-cry-3-top-us-sales-charts-for-january
Zzz

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #3032 on: February 14, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »
WiiU breaking records:

Lowest PS3 has been is 82k during April 2007. X360 never has been under 100k if I remember right.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47734828&postcount=501

Purple Filth

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3034 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:55 PM »
WiiU more or less than the Vita? We need to know this.
©@©™

Purple Filth

« Reply #3035 on: February 14, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »
WiiU more or less than the Vita? We need to know this.

+1

Oscar plz

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #3036 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »
Drinky reading this news on his Surface Pro: x 55

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3037 on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »
I worked on my day off today.  Seeing the possible Wii U hardware at 55k makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :heart
🍆🍆

Purple Filth

« Reply #3038 on: February 14, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:46:25 PM by Purple Filth »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3039 on: February 14, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »
Nintendo dont even care I think they want to soft relaunch Wii U like 3DS on purpose.

Sure they do buddy

🍆🍆

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #3040 on: February 14, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
Nintendo dont even care I think they want to soft relaunch Wii U like 3DS on purpose.

Sure they do buddy

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #3041 on: February 14, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »
I'm going to keep you kids in suspense a while longer.

(Only have rough numbers right now and it's too close to call til I get my proper numbers)

I'm ready. Console warz is back baybee

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3043 on: February 14, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
can someone explain that for people who dont read gaming sites all day
USA

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #3044 on: February 14, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »

Sure they do buddy
(Image removed from quote.)

HEY THAT'S FROM MY PHOTOBUCKET ACCT

...I can't remember the password, and who uses photobucket anymore anyhow???
yar

Purple Filth

« Reply #3045 on: February 14, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
I'm going to keep you kids in suspense a while longer.

(Only have rough numbers right now and it's too close to call til I get my proper numbers)

I'm ready. Console warz is back baybee

(Image removed from quote.)

Sounds like Vita didn't win.

More info is good even though it won't be a exact thing.

OMG Ancel's expression now makes sense  :lol

:lol

can someone explain that for people who dont read gaming sites all day

its a funny photoshop.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:11:53 PM by Purple Filth »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #3046 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:50 PM »
DAT GOAL POST MOVING in the gaf thread :teehee
yar

pilonv1

« Reply #3047 on: February 14, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »
Who cares about hardware, Vita v Wii U software is where it's at.
itm

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #3048 on: February 14, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »
THIS IS THE GREATEST VALENTINES DAY EVER
yar

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3049 on: February 14, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
If that Wii U number is right then yeah that Wii U needs a game changer like immediately or it's gonna be over.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #3050 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:06 PM »
If that Wii U number is right then yeah that Wii U needs a game changer like immediately or it's gonna be over.

As far as this is concerned...these sales numbers aren't official. With that said, if they are...

I'm not that concerned. And I'm a pretty ultra-hardcore Nintendo fan. I would only be concerned and pissed off it there was no software coming down the horizon. March, for instance. SO LONG AS NOA MARKETING DOESN'T FUCK IT UP, Lego City Undercover is going to move some systems. It's a big time title and it's going to draw in a lot of the younger crowd also that Activision has been concerned about with Wii U.
yar

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3051 on: February 14, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »
thekevindent ‏@TheKevinDent
Nintendo WiiU is officially the worst major console launch in the history of video games.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
5 mins chris grant ‏@chrisgrant
@TheKevinDent Saturn? 3DO? Virtual Boy? Philips CDi?
from Philadelphia, PA
4 mins thekevindent ‏@TheKevinDent
@chrisgrant Saturn and virtual boy both sold more at launch. The rest were not "major consoles".

lads???????
USA

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #3052 on: February 14, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Consumers: Why would we want a tablet that has a worse resolution than our cell phones or a game system that's as powerful as our seven year-old consoles but without the games. Please understand.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3053 on: February 14, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »

It's already over.  It was over before it even launched.  This comes as a surprise to not one person except everyone making the decisions at Nintendo.  And I bet it's not even a surprise to some of them.

Methodis, that's false.  As badly as the WiiU is doing, its numbers in the US are already past the VB's worldwide lifetime sales.  This month does look an awful lot like the Saturn numbers in America, though.  The first two months were significantly better than Saturn's, though.

It was nice to dream of the trolls  :'(
USA

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3054 on: February 14, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »
I honestly had no idea the WiiU would be doing THIS badly.

Too bad Ni No Kuni didn't place (not that I expected it to). Would have been the first time in years that a title I was into placed on an NPD chart.
^_^

Flannel Boy

• Icon

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3056 on: February 14, 2013, 09:37:45 PM »

As far as this is concerned...these sales numbers aren't official. With that said, if they are...

I'm not that concerned. And I'm a pretty ultra-hardcore Nintendo fan. I would only be concerned and pissed off it there was no software coming down the horizon. March, for instance. SO LONG AS NOA MARKETING DOESN'T FUCK IT UP, Lego City Undercover is going to move some systems. It's a big time title and it's going to draw in a lot of the younger crowd also that Activision has been concerned about with Wii U.

I'll just say I don't see it right now. If that number is right (and maybe it isn't) then that means Nintendo has colossally guessed wrong both in price and desirability feature wise in their console at a magnitude much greater than expected. And its not like its getting any easier. It's not like the 360 or the PS 3 just go away when the next gen consoles are launched.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:39:30 PM by Stoney Mason »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #3057 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »
...that was a gaf c/p, stoney.  consider the source :P
yar

Flannel Boy

• Icon