Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188706 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Next-Gen Sales Thread |OT| We already sold all the sales. Sorry.
« Reply #7680 on: May 26, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
Uk year to date hardware sales, only PS4 doing good

Year To Date Hardware sales (units)

PlayStation 4 - 207,907 units (+6.7%)
Xbox One (-15.8%)
Nintendo Wii U (-48.3%)

PlayStation 3 (-74.6%)
Xbox 360 (-87.2%)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7681 on: June 02, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7682 on: June 02, 2016, 01:58:42 PM »
In case any ladies were cuntfused, here's a handy chart to mansplain how successful Minecraft is.
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7683 on: June 02, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »
And I still haven't played it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Day 1 when DQ Builders gets released in the US though
[close]
^_^

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7684 on: June 02, 2016, 02:32:14 PM »
Under 500,000 Steam Machines were sold by Valve partners since launch 

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/its-time-to-declare-valves-steam-machines-doa/

Time to ignore publishers threatening to bolt to their own services, shovelware infested early access programme, lack of consumer support and not release Half Life 3 for another year, then :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7685 on: June 02, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »
They'll get to those things when they can be automated, be patient.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7686 on: June 02, 2016, 02:51:23 PM »
Unpaid interns are hard at work on HL3 in between doing translation work.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #7687 on: June 02, 2016, 02:54:25 PM »
The issue is that the Steam client has always been a piece of shit, the controller was too weird, and the branding/marketing was muddled at best.

Hmm actually this sounds like a list of the Wii U's problems (replace Steam with the system's OS.) :P

archie4208

« Reply #7688 on: June 02, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »
At least Steam has more than 5 games.

Tasty

« Reply #7689 on: June 02, 2016, 03:28:19 PM »

I wonder if there were any really Steambox-exclusive games if that would have helped.

Gabe should have launched HL3 with this thing.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7690 on: June 02, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
A Steambox/SteamOS (part of this complete breakfast!) would've alienated the shit out of anyone who isn't on it (basically EVERYONE) and thus probably would have done more harm than good.
Hi

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7691 on: June 04, 2016, 02:16:11 AM »

I wonder if there were any really Steambox-exclusive games if that would have helped.

Gabe should have launched HL3 with this thing.

Exclusives would defeat the whole point of being PCs, wouldn't it ?
Besides any title good enough to move out "Steam machines" would surely be immensely more profitable to Valve by just being sold to a much greater user base. They don't really have any stake in the hardware anyway with these things.
ὕβρις

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7692 on: June 04, 2016, 09:37:02 AM »
Also they're never making half life 3
pcp

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7693 on: June 04, 2016, 02:17:38 PM »
half life 2 wasnt even that good imho

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7694 on: June 04, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »

Like Shenmue 3.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7695 on: June 04, 2016, 04:15:49 PM »
The issue is that the Steam client has always been a piece of shit, the controller was too weird, and the branding/marketing was muddled at best.

Hmm actually this sounds like a list of the Wii U's problems (replace Steam with the system's OS.) :P

Steam client has nothing to do with Linux flopping. Linux flopping is due to Nobody but Valve and a certain hardcore segment wanting Linux. You can't get Ubisoft, EA, or Activision titles on the OS. Capcom is slowly getting there (whenever SF5 launches on it? :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :doge ), but other Japanese publishers and niche ones like NISA aren't there.

So... why would you go Linux when 80-95% of your Steam library isn't there?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7696 on: June 04, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »

Like Shenmue 3.

after shenmue 3, Yu Suzuki spent years wandering the desert as he struggled to find a reason to wake up in the morning, his only hope being that somehow, someway he would find someone to find shenmue 3

after half life 2, Gabe Newell built an actual palace made out of thousand dollar bills and empty nerd fulfillment

there won't be a half life 3
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7697 on: June 04, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »
i still don't understand what the appeal of Linux is beyond saying "i put Linux on my machine"
pcp

thisismyusername

« Reply #7698 on: June 04, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »
i still don't understand what the appeal of Linux is beyond saying "i put Linux on my machine"

"Free as in Freedom, not Free as in Beer." Able to check the OS's source-code and vouches for it if you're security minded. Able to work as a "team" to make new applications or drivers for it. Essentially if you're a programmer and know C, it's useful for you as a programming environment and focus. If you're 99% of other consumers, Windows does everything else, has developers developing for it (because of user base) and thereby kills any sort of need for Linux.

Publishers aren't going to publish Linux-Native applications if only 1% of their purchasers are buying it and using it. Epic and iD Software did native ports of their games in the mid-90's early-00's. They dropped it, do you know why? Because hardly anyone moved to Linux. It's why the whole "we're forking Debian and building our own OS!" fell flat for me with Valve's announcement. There's a market for small-form-factor PC's. But paying $1,000 for one + not having Windows/majority of titles isn't it.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7699 on: June 04, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
If my industry wasn't very software driven I might consider going back to Linux, but that's purely for ideological reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7700 on: June 04, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »

"Free as in Freedom, not Free as in Beer." Able to check the OS's source-code and vouches for it if you're security minded. Able to work as a "team" to make new applications or drivers for it. Essentially if you're a programmer and know C, it's useful for you as a programming environment and focus. If you're 99% of other consumers, Windows does everything else, has developers developing for it (because of user base) and thereby kills any sort of need for Linux.

Publishers aren't going to publish Linux-Native applications if only 1% of their purchasers are buying it and using it. Epic and iD Software did native ports of their games in the mid-90's early-00's. They dropped it, do you know why? Because hardly anyone moved to Linux. It's why the whole "we're forking Debian and building our own OS!" fell flat for me with Valve's announcement. There's a market for small-form-factor PC's. But paying $1,000 for one + not having Windows/majority of titles isn't it.

There's a rumor one of the big announcements MS is making at E3 is "Xbox big picture" mode which just turns W10 PC into an Xbox dashboard, lets you access the big stores through app tiles and selling it as an OEM for small form factors. If that's true and the other one that Bethesda's making their own client then Gabe better pray Blizzard isn't stealing all his hat money.

Communist's open source "Free as in Freedom" software plan? Failed. Closed ecosystems win again  :success

thisismyusername

« Reply #7701 on: June 04, 2016, 05:13:29 PM »
Red Star, not https://tails.boum.org/?

In other news: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/the-state-of-linux-gaming-in-the-steamos-era/

There's a rumor one of the big announcements MS is making at E3 is "Xbox big picture" mode which just turns W10 PC into an Xbox dashboard, lets you access the big stores through app tiles and selling it as an OEM for small form factors. If that's true and the other one that Bethesda's making their own client then Gabe better pray Blizzard isn't stealing all his hat money.

Communist's open source "Free as in Freedom" software plan? Failed. Closed ecosystems win again  :success

Honestly, I wouldn't mind being on Linux if it wasn't a pain in the ass to manage. Drivers still haven't gotten better, support is lackluster from closed-source devs like Adobe because they don't want to open some of their source for people to check/make fixes on, etc.

If Linux was released before Windows 3.1 launched for Businesses? I could see a case, but the horse was already out of the barn by the time Linux came around.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7702 on: June 05, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »

Steam client has nothing to do with Linux flopping. Linux flopping is due to Nobody but Valve and a certain hardcore segment wanting Linux. You can't get Ubisoft, EA, or Activision titles on the OS. Capcom is slowly getting there (whenever SF5 launches on it? :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge :doge  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :doge ), but other Japanese publishers and niche ones like NISA aren't there.

You're talking to Fandrex. Logic doesn't enter into it when he can take an opportunity to further identify with one of his chosen tribes.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #7703 on: June 05, 2016, 05:15:01 PM »

You're talking to Fandrex. Logic doesn't enter into it when he can take an opportunity to further identify with one of his chosen tribes.

:confused

Reading comprehension, how does it work

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7704 on: June 09, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
Sony took May but are refusing to put out a statement again. "Under 213K" is the current number for PS4's sold in the NPD thread. No software over 1 million either. UC4 took it in the end.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/09/may-2016-npd-uncharted-finds-its-fortune-ahead-of-doom-overwatch/

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)
Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:35:33 PM by Take My Breh Away »

archie4208

« Reply #7705 on: June 09, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »
May NPD

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)
2. Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
3. Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
4. Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
6. Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
7. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
9. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
10. Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)

Legit surprised Doom did so well.

Bebpo

« Reply #7706 on: June 09, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
Uncharted numbers seem fine.  We know first week was 2.3 million WW (which included digital sales).  Game will probably do about the same as Uncharted 3, which is around 10 million LTD.  Doesn't really matter though, Uncharted's over and it was always a mid-sized franchise.

Bigger surprise was Doom outselling Overwatch with physical copies. 

...but then again Blizzard and digital.

Honestly, every year NPD is getting more and more useless as digital sales are taking over.  I thought Ubisoft or someone said the ratio had already gone up to like 50%.  So basically sales can be 2x what NPD shows.  Would be nice if NPD tracked digital sales from the platform owner stores and combined them with physical sales to stay relevant.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7707 on: June 09, 2016, 06:37:54 PM »
battleborn at 4? everyone acted like the game sold all of 6 copies

also i hope doom has some moderate traction bc it's been getting so much great press
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7708 on: June 09, 2016, 09:14:39 PM »
Good on id. They made a legit great game and are getting rewarded for it.

And there's the real possibility that Doom bombing would have been the end of id, so it being successful should convince Bethesda to keep them around for a least a while longer.
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7709 on: June 09, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »
Bethesda seems like an alright publisher, I had some concerns when they started gobbling up companies and such but they seem to more or less let the teams do their own thing. Like id bringing in Crytek's engine guy even though id tech isn't going to be licensed anymore. And giving them the time to restart and redo Doom from scratch and do it in the way they did.

Now if only they took every single person in the entire company and forced them into 180 hour work weeks to create Human Head's vision of Prey 2.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7710 on: June 09, 2016, 09:37:42 PM »
Now if only they took every single person in the entire company and forced them into 180 hour work weeks to create Human Head's vision of Prey 2.

:tocry
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #7711 on: June 09, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »
battleborn at 4? everyone acted like the game sold all of 6 copies

No sales numbers. I wanna see the receipts.

Tasty

« Reply #7712 on: June 09, 2016, 11:09:37 PM »
Not a single Wii U SKU on the top 10, RIP.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7713 on: June 10, 2016, 12:04:14 AM »
Thanks to Aquamarine on the gamrconnect forums.

PS4 Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 207,300 (+35.8% from last May)

XBO Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 107,100 (-23.3% from last May)

WIU Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 25,300 (-40.7% from last May)

360 Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 11,900 (-53.5% from last May)

PS3 Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 10,700 (-44.5% from last May)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7714 on: June 10, 2016, 12:05:51 AM »
Where's Vita, tho?
©@©™

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7715 on: June 10, 2016, 12:45:53 AM »
YTD 2016 vs 2015

PS4
2015: 1.188m
2016: 1.347m (+13%)

XB1
2015: 981k
2016: 896k (-9%)

Wii U
2015: 326k
2016: 233k (-29%)

thisismyusername

« Reply #7716 on: June 10, 2016, 12:48:38 AM »
Thanks to Aquamarine on the gamrconnect forums.

But where is Battleborn's numbers!? I want to know how badly the sales for software are since I want to know if the narrative of that being a complete bomb is right. :lol

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7717 on: June 10, 2016, 01:49:59 AM »
it didnt chart in the uk I think

benjipwns

« Reply #7718 on: June 10, 2016, 02:59:21 AM »
This was from a few weeks ago, but the game apparently tanked in players on Steam at roughly the same time so it might have made everything up front and has no legs:
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/battleborn/news/battleborn_sales_tracking_just_ahead_of_original_borderlands_gearbox_cautiously_optimistic.html
Sales of Gearbox's online shooter Battleborn are "tracking just ahead" of the original Borderlands, creative director Randy Varnell has revealed, describing the game's launch as being "pretty good".

Speaking on Twitch, Varnell said that the studio is feeling "cautiously optimistic" about the game's future, before adding: "The launch has been pretty good. We do a lot of comparisons back to the first Borderlands back in 2009 and that launch felt a lot similar for us.

"Ultimately Borderlands [was an] extremely successful new game for us, and even Borderlands 1 went on to sell, I think, almost 7, 8 million units in its lifetime," he said. "Battleborn is actually tracking just ahead of where Borderlands was on the sales, and we think it's going to be a game that is going to work like that. A decent, solid launch. We're seeing steady and growing user counts on all three platforms, and hoping that word of mouth is going to take us even further."

Battleborn debuted at No.1 in the UK All-Formats Charts following its release last week, although sales figures for the game have not been revealed by 2K. The original Borderlands, meanwhile, sold over 2 million units worldwide within its first two months of launch.

EDIT: Evolve was the title I was trying to think of that had something similar happen. IIRC, it did really well out of the gate, now it had 177 total players today on Steam.

benjipwns

« Reply #7719 on: June 10, 2016, 03:02:36 AM »
Evolve cannot be played in the following countries: Burma, Cuba, Iran, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela

Kara

« Reply #7720 on: June 10, 2016, 03:20:07 AM »
I can't in good conscience play a game forbidden in so many workers' states.

benjipwns

« Reply #7721 on: June 10, 2016, 03:24:24 AM »
Probably because there's no Red Star OS compatible version, Windows only.  :wag

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7722 on: June 10, 2016, 04:15:28 AM »
Ok this is what Battleborn did in the UK:

Week 1 - nr 3/4 PS4/XB1
Week 2 - nr 22/25 (this is hundreds of units only already I presume)
Week 3 - nr 40
Week 4 - nr 33/39
Week 5 - uncharted

It charted in France for 1 week, but not in Germany, Italy, Spain etc.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7723 on: June 10, 2016, 07:29:32 AM »
Uncharted numbers seem fine.  We know first week was 2.3 million WW (which included digital sales).  Game will probably do about the same as Uncharted 3, which is around 10 million LTD.  Doesn't really matter though, Uncharted's over and it was always a mid-sized franchise.

Bigger surprise was Doom outselling Overwatch with physical copies. 

...but then again Blizzard and digital.

Honestly, every year NPD is getting more and more useless as digital sales are taking over.  I thought Ubisoft or someone said the ratio had already gone up to like 50%.  So basically sales can be 2x what NPD shows.  Would be nice if NPD tracked digital sales from the platform owner stores and combined them with physical sales to stay relevant.

I think Sony would have expected better with U4 and console sales with the massive push they ran for it. It seems the first month numbers were very close to Doom and Overwatch while numbers came in slightly under or around Halo 5 according to cosmicqueso on gaf. Mario Kart 8 is going to take the record for the biggest selling exclusive debut this gen since that did 1.1 million on NPD (In just three days, even). Likely why they are quiet on PR. There's not much to spin as Bloodborne moved more console units than U4 did and sales weren't exceptional, just about average for a console exclusive this gen and tracking the same as Halo 5 did. And if you start including digital, Overwatch stomped a massive hole in everything this month.

I think the bigger take is that companies are going to seriously re-evaluate exclusives because they are nowhere near the value proposition they once were. Halo 5 and Uncharted 4 failing to move console units is a huge, colossal fuck up and companies need to have a major, major rethink.     

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7724 on: June 10, 2016, 07:48:22 AM »
Maybe Halo failed but PS4 is at 40 million and counting.

:smug

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7725 on: June 10, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
Maybe Halo failed but PS4 is at 40 million and counting.

The seven titles in the attach rate is FIFA 14, FIFA 15, FIFA 16, Destiny, COD Ghosts, COD AW and COD Black Ops 3 :doge

archie4208

« Reply #7726 on: June 10, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/fCbD5kD.png

Nintendo had a good run.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7727 on: June 10, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
wait... i didn't even realize that doom outsold fucking overwatch, even with the giant amount of hype behind ov. this warms my crusty clotted heart.
pcp

Kara

« Reply #7728 on: June 10, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »
It probably didn't, digital purchases aren't included.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7729 on: June 10, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »
ah yeah forgot about that; o well
pcp

Trent Dole

« Reply #7730 on: June 10, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »
Doom and Overwatch both seem to be primarily PC oriented titles and thus I'd wager both of them have a pretty significant chunk of their sales via digital.
Hi

archie4208

« Reply #7731 on: June 10, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
Doom sold 586k on PC (every copy has to be activated on Steam and it has Denuvo protection which hasn't been cracked yet so piracy is a non issue).

Overwatch probably sold several million copies because it's a fuckin Blizzard game.

Bebpo

« Reply #7732 on: June 10, 2016, 06:36:41 PM »
Doom sold 586k on PC (every copy has to be activated on Steam and it has Denuvo protection which hasn't been cracked yet so piracy is a non issue).

Overwatch probably sold several million copies because it's a fuckin Blizzard game.

Didn't Blizzard put out a PR that 7 million copies of Overwatch were sold in the first week or two?

archie4208

« Reply #7733 on: June 10, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
Blizzard said 7 million players which would include shared accounts, rentals, and Korean PC bang users (which is a major portion of the population as Overwatch is the #2 game in South Korea and is nipping at League of Legends's heels).

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #7734 on: June 11, 2016, 06:57:16 AM »
Is Xbox dead yet?

May NDP seems to indicate so. Poor MS

Trent Dole

« Reply #7735 on: June 11, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »
Fuck the hell off you mindless corporate cocksucking piece of shit. :gun
Hi

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7736 on: June 12, 2016, 08:00:18 AM »

Nintendo had a good run.

Nintendo's audience used to be children and manchildren.  Now that children are playing on tablets and smartphones, that just leaves the manchildren.  Little wonder why Nintendo is keeping the NX a secret: they're probably still trying to figure out how to capture lightning in a bottle again and find a way to recapture their lost audiences.
🍆🍆

Kara

« Reply #7737 on: June 12, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
Aquamarine still jeopardizing her Wall Street job for video games I see.

Yulwei

« Reply #7738 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »

Nintendo had a good run.

Damn that's crazy. I honestly hope the NX does well for Nintendo. It would be a big blow to gaming if they went out of business

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7739 on: June 12, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
nintendo not going out of business lol. even if they decide it's not profitable to make systems anymore, they still have plenty of money to make more games. it'll be a long time before Mario (and his associated merchandise) becomes unprofitable.

also using star fox as a metric for success is lol. when's the last time they made a good star fox, let alone one that sold well?
pcp