Poll

Call it:

Worth the wait, worth the hype. Final Fantasy is saved.
6 (13.6%)
Flawed and hobbled together but a great game nonetheless.
5 (11.4%)
MGS V syndrome. Great gameplay, barely any story, barren open world, repetitive game design.
4 (9.1%)
Incoherent mess of gameplay, storytelling, and design. The most expensive turd the Japanese can squeeze out.
18 (40.9%)
Worse than FFXIII.
11 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XV Official Thread of HD Towns and Bromantic Adventures  (Read 95156 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Final Fantasy XV Official Thread of HD Towns and Bromantic Adventures
« Reply #480 on: December 23, 2016, 11:06:07 AM »
My guesses are:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Gladio when he leaves for no reason
- Ignis on how he lost his eye sight
- Prompto being a prisoner at their base(I'll laugh pretty hard if it comes out Chapter 13 2.0)

World of Ruin doesn't have plans yet, but I'd love it. If only to see Demonslayer Iris.
[close]

Final Fantasy XV-2, with Iris, Aranea, and Cindy as J-Pop warriors, searching for Noctis. The X-2 sequel we've been waiting for. :lawd
[close]
©@©™

SantaC

« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2016, 03:40:54 PM »
Level 94, chapter 9. Almost maxed out the AP grid. Noctis is destroying with 500K damage

« Reply #482 on: December 23, 2016, 03:41:45 PM »
My guesses are:

- Gladio when he leaves for no reason
- Ignis on how he lost his eye sight
- Prompto being a prisoner at their base(I'll laugh pretty hard if it comes out Chapter 13 2.0)

World of Ruin doesn't have plans yet, but I'd love it. If only to see Demonslayer Iris.
[close]

Final Fantasy XV-2, with Iris, Aranea, and Cindy as J-Pop warriors, searching for Noctis. The X-2 sequel we've been waiting for. :lawd
[close]
I'm glad the bore bros. are on board with me on some future girl adventures in the age of toxic masculinity(world of ruin).
[close]

The comment that The Bros were off hunting daemons on their own while Noctis was gone made me think that could be potential DLC.

But yeah, let me see Daemon Hunter Iris. And more Aranea would be great. Kick ass Dragoon.
[close]
野球

« Reply #483 on: December 23, 2016, 04:36:34 PM »
I really liked FFXV, flaws and all.

I also liked FFXIII-2, so whatever.
野球

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #484 on: December 25, 2016, 01:45:45 AM »
does this game ever let you save more than 150 screenshots? bc that's not nearly enough. I'm almost at the end and I've had to delete a few pics just to make room for some new ones.

also I'm not I've ever had so many opposing thoughts about a game before. so much of it is fun but I feel like there's not a moment that goes by where I'm not scratching my head and going "why?" at something
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #485 on: December 25, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »
the story isn't disjointed or anything, it just needs much better setup for the various twists. also it realllly needs more scene-setting events, like overhead shots of new areas or scenes that cut away to show what other barely-used characters are up to.

and as for the gameplay, they really needed some more dungeons in the main quest.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #486 on: December 25, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
p. s.  GOOD GOD CHAPTER 13 NEEDS TO END
pcp

SantaC

« Reply #487 on: December 25, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
farming zu beaks for 999 potency and limit break

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #488 on: December 25, 2016, 03:41:26 PM »
Everyones beat the game already dude, just go for the finish line
fat

« Reply #489 on: December 25, 2016, 08:31:18 PM »
No one cares about you being ridiculously overpowered to the point where 90% of the game loses any real challenge.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #490 on: December 26, 2016, 08:48:03 AM »
The post game dungeons are just endless floors. Some of them up to 100. I did two then tapped out. Not worth it
fat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #491 on: December 26, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »
So is this game good? I just bought it

Himu

« Reply #492 on: December 26, 2016, 12:57:40 PM »

do yourself a favor and watch kingsglaive first.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #493 on: December 26, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »
No it's not.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #494 on: December 26, 2016, 01:47:34 PM »
Kingsglaive is worth watching, especially since you enjoy the game so much
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #495 on: December 26, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »
fat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #496 on: December 26, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
I tried to watch kingsglaive a couple of weeks ago and couldn't. Stories aren't really much of a concern as I don't pay attention to them anyways. As long as the core gameplay is good then I'm in.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #497 on: December 26, 2016, 09:27:55 PM »
Core gameplay is addictive as fuck.  The story is interesting and brief but ultimately affects the gameplay later on in the game.  But for 60 hours the game is an awesome blend of MMO/Skyrim sequel quests with great level ascension and a KH style battle system.  It's my favorite FF since X.
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: December 27, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »
It's weird to say, but this Final Fantasy game needed more cutscenes.
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #499 on: December 27, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »
What it needed was a non truncated 2nd half. That would involve more than more cutscenes.

archie4208

« Reply #500 on: December 27, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »
This game's open world is boring as fuck imo.  :yeshrug

I'm enjoying the banter between the 4 party members and the stupidity of the story, but everything else is underwhelming. 

Rahxephon91

« Reply #501 on: December 27, 2016, 02:01:49 PM »
I'm strange with open world games. I don't actually like them, or rather I don't seem to like them for the reasons other people do. I like them simply as really big environments. It's the reason Ubisoft open world design simple does nothing for me. I don't need them to have lots of things to do in them, I simply need them to be well crafted places that I like to walk around, explore, and look at. Them being there can be simply there to add atmosphere. So thats probably why I enjoyed games such as Mafia 3 and LA Noir, there their open worlds were just there for atmosphere.

So XV's open world doesn't bother me, because it is fun to me to explore and walk around. The car travel also helps expand on that idea of the open world being simply there for atmosphere.

I just wish the 2nd half had a more expalorable if bite sized world.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #502 on: December 27, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »
doing some grinding before the last boss bc my team is way under what the recommended level is for the quest. I'm just glad to be done with chapter 13 tho. that level was boring as fuck, but damn the story stuff was cool.

also had an awesome random event happen (late game spoilers:)

was getting beat down by a red giant, when a cutscene played showing an airship stop overhead. i think "well now I'm REALLY fucked!" but then Areana jumps out instead and helps me kill the monster! BADASS 
[close]
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #503 on: December 27, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
You can glitch Aranea to be with you permanently, too
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #504 on: December 27, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
You can glitch Aranea to be with you permanently, too

wat???
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #505 on: December 27, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #506 on: December 27, 2016, 06:56:59 PM »
Hmmm.  I'll give that a shot later tonight
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #507 on: December 27, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »
Finished Navyth's fishing quest line, caught the Liege of the Lake, and maxed out my fishing skill this afternoon.  Catching the boss-tier fish was satisfying.
©@©™

SantaC

« Reply #508 on: December 27, 2016, 07:24:32 PM »
This game really is fantastic!

I am about to start chapter 13 now.

Tasty

« Reply #509 on: December 27, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »
It's weird to say, but this Final Fantasy game needed more cutscenes.

What it needed was a non truncated 2nd half. That would involve more than more cutscenes.

I knew this would be FF's MGSV. :obama
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:04:02 PM by Tasty Meat »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #510 on: December 27, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »
Well the difference is MGS5 is garbage and this isn't.

It's not a great comparison. FFXV's open world kind of works. There's some strange problem with the fact that they really should have some urgency in the fact that it's probably not a good thing they are just bumming around the world. That can easily be brushed aside though and then it's not a big deal that the story is lacking in the first half. The first half is a road trip and like a lot of road trips you kind of bum around till you get there. The first part really facilitates that. You can bum around doing side quests, hunts, just running around with your friends, and have little story beats that make sense and your way to your main destination. While yes it could use a few more scenes that are actually not involving the party. Whats Luna up to, whats Ravus doing, whats going on with the empire? Cutscsnes answering those could have been sprinkled through out the 1st half. Still, the open world does not really hurt the story, focus, or tone of the 1st half. Especially since the 1st half is just an adventure with a dude and his friends. It really would have worked if the 2nd half was better because here you would have seen Noctis in his most lazyness, his most imature, and unfocused. Which is kind of the point. The 1st half is all about him not being really focused and kind of taking things for granted.

It's just the 2nd half doesn't build on that as well and it really has nothing to do with it being open world. I think the open world did it's job pretty well. The 2nd half story wise is more focused. Noctis is starting to move past the lazy prince thing and the stakes are being raised. The 2nd half becomes more focused even in game structure. It's just there's not enough story and design to really sell that.

MGSV's problem is that the open world really brings to light how lazy the whole game feels. It's open world, but the world itself is boring and doesn't seem to give much reason to why it's there. The story and characters are just kind of there.

Himu

« Reply #511 on: December 28, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »
Level 32, 32 hours in, chapter 3.

Time to bum rush the story.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #512 on: December 28, 2016, 09:28:02 AM »
ok, at the recommended level for the final mission; let's do this

*gets one-shotted by a random enemy a minute in*

WHAT THE FUCK
pcp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #513 on: December 28, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
ok, at the recommended level for the final mission; let's do this

*gets one-shotted by a random enemy a minute in*

WHAT THE FUCK

I know which enemy you're talking about, and it's harder than the final boss. :lol You can just run past it. I fought it the first time I went there and used like a dozen Mega Potions, but there's really no point, you get like 7000xp or some shit.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #514 on: December 28, 2016, 11:09:08 AM »
yeah I survived the last level with a cunning strategy of fleeing and cowering. final fights weren't that hard but damn they were epic! great ending too, especially that one scene...
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #515 on: December 28, 2016, 12:05:17 PM »
reading how people are confused about the story and I think they could have easily remedied this by making those Cosmonogy magazines into collectibles that you could view from the main menu
pcp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #516 on: December 28, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »
GAF's hatred for this game is laughable
püp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #517 on: December 28, 2016, 01:08:01 PM »
I still stand by this: it wasn't that confusing. Some parts were rushed which is my real disappointment with it, but overall it's a simpler fantasy story and that's why I liked it.

The only people really confused are used to the long, groan inducing exposition featured in most FF games where every detail is overexplained. I for one am glad we didn't have too much of that.

yeah the story isn't confusing at all tbh. you have to dig around for the lore, but tbh that's how most final Fantasy games were. 10 and 13 didn't tell you shit about the "real" reason behind everything unless you went looking, for example.

game definitely could have used some more scenes with secondary characters, some landscape shots for later areas, and some foreshadowing for certain stuff. but really i just want MORE. bring in the dlc, the sequels, expansion packs, whatever. there's a ton of areas that aren't explorable and cool plot things that are briefly mentioned and i would love to see these fleshed out. I'd have no problem waiting on ff16 if it meant we get a lot more ff15.

they really need to fix that fucking battle camera tho
pcp

Himu

« Reply #518 on: December 28, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »
I still stand by this: it wasn't that confusing. Some parts were rushed which is my real disappointment with it, but overall it's a simpler fantasy story and that's why I liked it.

The only people really confused are used to the long, groan inducing exposition featured in most FF games where every detail is overexplained. I for one am glad we didn't have too much of that.

yeah the story isn't confusing at all tbh. you have to dig around for the lore, but tbh that's how most final Fantasy games were. 10 and 13 didn't tell you shit about the "real" reason behind everything unless you went looking, for example.

13? Sure. 10? Nah.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #519 on: December 28, 2016, 01:50:55 PM »

13? Sure. 10? Nah.

10 never mentioned the whole "war between nations" backstory unless you talked to that old man
pcp

Himu

« Reply #520 on: December 28, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »

13? Sure. 10? Nah.

10 never mentioned the whole "war between nations" backstory unless you talked to that old man

the old man that shows up on a linear path in a game that is a straight line? You said dig around, when really, it's just talking to a single npc that has been shown throughout the game to disperse key information in a game with the exploration of a train track. "Dig for information" is a bit extreme? Talking to Maechen isn't hard. In FF13 you have to go into a datalog to understand what key terms even mean. Comparing them makes no sense to me.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #521 on: December 28, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »
:doge

I'm not saying it was hard to find, just that they didn't work it into the main story. it was less important than the story of Tidus, Yuna, and Sin. 15 is kind of the same way.
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #522 on: December 28, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
XIII's confusion is over exaggerated. The story is not confusing at all. The keep saying the terms over and over, I'm, not sure how you couldn't figure out what they mean. I understood the story just fine and never read the datalog at all.

XV's story is simple, it's just poorly told because it's not fleshed out at all.

Himu

« Reply #523 on: December 28, 2016, 02:15:35 PM »
I'd say most story-based FF's are like that aren't they? In VII the scene with Zack and Cloud leaving for Midgar is optional. VIII is full of world building you would only find by exploring. In VI, it's the same way. In IX you have active time events where entire characterization and sub plots are hidden away. Hiding extra story behind exploration is Final Fantasy tradition.

FFXV is just another FF doing FF things I'd say. The difference is that I have to watch a billion different things outside the game in order to understand it.

That said I do think the editing is spotty compared to past games. It's just not polished in the story department as other FF's. They use footage from outside the game that's FMV and it just always feels like it feels disjointed in terms of how it's presented. Like you'll have Iris talking about what happens in Insomnia and suddenly you're watching clips from Kingsglaive, and the way it's presented feels cheap and tacky. Like, it's saying BUY KINGSGLAIVE BUY KINGSGLAIVE with red !'s on it. Or you'll have a scene where Noctis is having a nightmare and it shows the Omen trailer. The editing and the way it conveys some basic information is legitimately bad in how it's edited and presented.

The problem people have with the story isn't that it makes you explore for more detail - this is as Final Fantasy as moogles and Chocobos - but in how the core details of the story are presented. It's just all over the place, could have used more thoroughness, and feels like the story was built around the gameplay rather than the opposite.

Still not over Iris' I'M A REFUGEE, SAW OUR HOME DESTROYED, A WEAPON CAME AND SMASHED SHIT LOOK HOW CHEERY I AM truly encapsulates how poorly told this story is.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 02:19:38 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #524 on: December 28, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
XV's story is simple, it's just poorly told because it's not fleshed out at all.

Nothing makes this more than true than watching Kingsglaive and then playing the game. Lucian and Nifelheim are engaged in a centuries old war. Lucian is basically conceding they LOST. They give their lands to Nifelheim and they're engaged with a potential peace treaty. The only thing stopping them from total annihilation is the shield created by the crystal. Lucian has basically lost EVERYTHING except Insomnia.

And then we play the game and we see Noctis treat his father like shit with sarcastic words and crap when this is fucking serious and his marriage is the only thing keeping things afloat. And we're supposed to empathize with and LIKE this main character.

It feels like the people who made this games story did not interact with each other or compare notes at all. It's like they have this team for the game, this team for kingsglaive, this team for the anime, this team for that, and that team for this and none of them communicated anything to each other, and the result is this random onslaught of what the fuck.

FFXVI needs to have a self contained story within the game only, for the love of Christ.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #525 on: December 28, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »
god dammit that's what I was trying to say - that in regards to other ff games it's not out of place to have lore placed out of the way. and yeah the storytelling is haphazard but it gets much worse for the last third of the game. you'll see. it's not incoherent or anything, it's just "oops we ran out of time let's wrap this up."
pcp

Himu

« Reply #526 on: December 28, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »
god dammit that's what I was trying to say - that in regards to other ff games it's not out of place to have lore placed out of the way. and yeah the storytelling is haphazard but it gets much worse for the last third of the game. you'll see. it's not incoherent or anything, it's just "oops we ran out of time let's wrap this up."

Basically, I haven't liked an FF story since FFX if we're talking main series.

Though I like XIV's so far.

The characters are there, the battle is great once it clicks but it still has rough edges, but that STORY. OMG FIX IT. It sucks too because in terms of general world this could be my favorite FF setting and world since Spira and the way it's told means I don't get to see it lived to its full potential.

FFXII, XIII, and now XV all have massive issues with story.

XVI needs to have a game based wholly around the story first and foremost. They need to go oldschool RPG style with that game with story as the main component and make sure it and the characters are good. But overall, I think XV is a step in the right direction.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #527 on: December 28, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
From what I heard of Kingsglaive is that centuries old war thing, which honestly has nothing to do with the game itself's story aside from maybe world building. Even then you can tell the empire and the lucians just plain don't like each other,  it doesn't exactly add anything other than showing you just what exactly happened to Insomnia.

I like Brotherhood too, but all it shows is how the bros became bros. Nothing that really takes away from the game.

It is very much rushed, and there are some things I wish were expanded upon(mostly for gameplay purposes to be honest), but the main story itself has a beginning, middle and end while wrapping up nicely. The disjointedness here has less to do with convoluted nature that has been a staple of many past FF's and more to do with glossing over information regarding it's world. And to be quite honest, I prefer the latter as a narrative problem than the former.

What you've heard about Kingsglaive is wrong. The ring of luci, luna are all central to the story. You see Regis die in it. A lot of this is key elements in the world building, but the games plot is mostly told through world building. The story is that the empire takes over Insomnia and steals the crystal. Meanwhile, where I am in the game they have yet to articulate what the crystal even does. You watch Kingsglaive to see this happen. In another FF,  you would see this happen. That's the problem. You say it's only world building, but seeing it actually happen gives more reason to go after the villains than simply having a newspaper. What you're telling me is that you'd rather read about Nibelheim being burned to the ground by Sephiroth rather than actually have the game show you what happened. Then you learn that Jenova crashed on the planet and destroyed the Cetra with a disease and you're like,"that's just world building" even though Jenova is the main villain and walks around with Sephiroth's avatar. Likewise, by watching Kingsglaive, you actually SEE the peace treaty between Luce and Nifelheim. You actually see what happens when someone non-royalty uses the Ring of Luci. You see that Luna's brother puts the ring on and has his arm set on fire with the quickness. You see what's at stake. All of this should be in XV proper. What you're basically telling me is that you think telling > showing.

i'd say brotherhood is pretty important but I'm biased because Prompto is my favorite character in the game. The game has a great scene at the inn in Luce. And details like that mean a lot less without having watched Brotherhood.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #528 on: December 28, 2016, 04:46:24 PM »
funniest thing about Kingsglaive is that the story is similar to the opening of ff12, which told its story in a ten minute cutscene and a short opening level. no reason why 15 couldn't have done the same
pcp

archie4208

« Reply #529 on: December 28, 2016, 05:49:29 PM »
Iggy going blind.  :fbm
[close]

Himu

« Reply #530 on: December 28, 2016, 05:56:26 PM »
funniest thing about Kingsglaive is that the story is similar to the opening of ff12, which told its story in a ten minute cutscene and a short opening level. no reason why 15 couldn't have done the same

it's still so good too!

writ with steel and signed with blood :lawd
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #531 on: December 28, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »
I'm wondering how I'll have the time to play zodiac age when I haven't even finished world of ff and i think I just have to resign myself to playing all ff all the time
pcp

Himu

« Reply #532 on: December 28, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »
Same boat although I haven't bought WoFF because it doesn't look interesting
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #533 on: December 28, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »
don't let the demo scare you woff is fan fucking tastic. well at least the 5 hours i played if it were.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #534 on: December 28, 2016, 07:42:42 PM »
Especially if you play it on the Vita :aah
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #535 on: December 28, 2016, 09:01:40 PM »
no one cares about vita
pcp

Beezy

« Reply #536 on: December 29, 2016, 12:36:03 AM »
Enjoy paying $10-$20 extra for PS4 versions of Vita games. :drake

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #537 on: December 29, 2016, 12:41:13 AM »
i will, knowing I'm not supporting a tool of demonic child predators
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #538 on: December 29, 2016, 12:45:17 AM »
Portable young demonic children :aah
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #539 on: December 29, 2016, 12:47:36 AM »
Enjoy paying $10-$20 extra for PS4 versions of Vita games. :drake
You mean for better playing and looking versions?

Ok...