Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for Other Forums  (Read 575627 times)

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
Re: The Other Forums Thread for Other Forums
« Reply #2520 on: March 15, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »
So was it an all-White area chosen because he's a racist, or an area with a non-negligible non-White population that were erased because he's racist :thinking
bent

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2521 on: March 15, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »
I don’t think it’s that reaching.

People intentionally create games to be more diverse and inclusive. I don’t think it far fetched a racist would go for an all white region.

There is probably cheaper genres and regions to make a racist wet dream game than Medieval Bohemia.
Tim Soret's The Last Night being a perfect example.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2522 on: March 15, 2018, 08:24:21 PM »
That's a Latin-American game, isn't it?
每天生气

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #2523 on: March 15, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »
The angle that was the closest to make sense as an argument against Kingdom Come Nazi was that people might have deliberately chosen a setting with no diversity in skin colour to begin with. But even that is reaching, since we aren't exactly swimming in medieval games and it's not really an outlandish desire to simulate the era (especially since there's never been such a thing without stupid ass goblins and dragons, outside of RTS' anyway). And while there is no objective history and we can't *really* fully prove anything without a time machine, you have to be particularly limited to think that the ethnic heterogeneity of the modern US is anything but an exception in the grand scheme of things.

People intentionally create games to be more diverse and inclusive. I don’t think it far fetched a racist would go for an all white region.

There is probably cheaper genres and regions to make a racist wet dream game than Medieval Bohemia.

The setting is also directly related to the heritage of the devs. It's not like they went out of their way to find this setting.

benjipwns

« Reply #2524 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:04 PM »
So was it an all-White area chosen because he's a racist, or an area with a non-negligible non-White population that were erased because he's racist :thinking
Prove he didn't use his newfound riches from the game to go back in time and erase that non-White population. The burden of proof is on those arguing against inclusiveness.

benjipwns

« Reply #2525 on: March 15, 2018, 08:27:04 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #2526 on: March 15, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
User Warned by useless mods who don't help out poor cream: "hertiage" is a well known racist dogwhsitle unless referring to our roots in Wakanda

benjipwns

« Reply #2527 on: March 15, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
at least now, no matter how racist the colonizers in the European game industry and society are, we'll always be able to say "Wakanda Forever"

shosta

« Reply #2528 on: March 15, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »
That's a Latin-American game, isn't it?
Latin-Swedish
We publish games
We believe that some of the most powerful experiences today come from small independent teams that are striving to create something full of meaning and emotional impact. Niche games that resonate with a specific audience. We want to help promote those games.
Hm, alright-
We (Un)Publish Games
Look. Sometimes you need to undo a thing before you can redo it. That’s how we think when it comes to publishing games, hence that “Un” stuff at the beginning.
...oh. Uh, tell me more?
It’s also a nice differentiator that we blatantly use to stand out a bit because we’re sly like that, except when you admit the very thing you’re being sly about in the same sentence. We know, super slick, right?
Someone should turn in his English degree. Laying it on way too thick.
Who Are You?
We’re just people, man. Just people with an abnormal interest in games. Ok, actually it goes beyond that. All of us believe that games matter. They are the marriage of art and craft. They can elevate, change, entertain, surprise, and move people. They’re the modern vessels for our stories – our imagination. They facilitate communication and communion.
:boring
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #2529 on: March 15, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »
But... is not the whole point of the movie that Wakanda did wrong by ignoring the rest of the world and that Killmonger “Americanized” strategies were only going to create more hate and suffering (and that he is very well aware of that but doesn’t care because “Fuck the world”)

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #2530 on: March 15, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
Portuguese is a latin language. Let’s try with pretending that Brazil is not Latin American because “don’t speak Spanish”.

Boredfrom, don't hate me because i braided my asshair without consulting cream first

shosta

« Reply #2531 on: March 15, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »
Quote from: Y2Kev
Wow good form. You used I mean and a question mark.
Quote from: Finale Fireworker
I love how much you hate this. I mean, I went to school for English and it doesn’t bother me? :P
But did you finish
Quote from: Finale Firework
I have been owned. UGH!

They warned me about this at English School.
:exxy
每天生气

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2532 on: March 15, 2018, 09:04:52 PM »
Is this the first restera cry-for-help suicide thread?

Nope.

This user was in a super dark place making a desperate cry for help, eventually asked to be banned, and they promptly locked it without attempting to provide any sort of help or care.

This user was incredibly depressed, talking about relief via their gun, and they got exactly 3 posts of comfort and empathy before the thread failed to get any replies.

Makes me remember the threads at gaf where people used to say that some nice gaffer PM'd them and talked them back from the brink, how gaf saved their life.  Era setting a real good example for how to treat suicidal people here.
Uncle

wsippel

« Reply #2533 on: March 15, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »
Well, turns out my week long REEEE ban was upgraded to a permaban because I'm a junior or some shit. Considering my account is as old as REEE itself, I assume that wasn't actually the reason... :lol

Reminds me of the thread on Aladdin wherein people bemoaning the skin darkening of white dudes due to a lack of Arabic actors proposed the solution of just grabbing any ol Brown person around (cuz they’re all the same)
And it doesn't even make sense for Aladdin, considering it's an Asian story. So casting brown people would be kinda racist as well.

shosta

« Reply #2534 on: March 15, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
What post did you get banned for?
每天生气

wsippel

« Reply #2535 on: March 15, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »
What post did you get banned for?

Something "racist" about genetics. Some other user in the thread called out the mods for banning me for no reason and got a warning. I think whichever mod banned me (Rowlf?) was the only dumbfuck in the whole thread who thought my post was racist.

shosta

« Reply #2536 on: March 15, 2018, 09:45:55 PM »
Yeah but you gotta link to it so we can laugh at you  :hump
每天生气

wsippel

« Reply #2537 on: March 15, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »
Yeah but you gotta link to it so we can laugh at you  :hump

I'm afraid it wasn't even funny: https://www.resetera.com/posts/5238297/

shosta

« Reply #2538 on: March 15, 2018, 09:58:50 PM »
Lol, bell curving.
每天生气

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2539 on: March 15, 2018, 10:09:33 PM »
I don't think anything should be considered beyond scrutiny or doing the science again.  Performing a test that doesn't physically harm anything should never be taboo.  At worst you can scratch your head and consider it waste of time and resources on a settled matter, but at best you've got another study you can cite to back up your claims, or a study you can try to refute.
Uncle

etiolate

« Reply #2540 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:34 PM »
referencing rationalwiki lol

edit:

We have populations. Race is a poor, archaic word choice. I doubt the claim we can't find DNA evidence of population differences is true. We are very much alike in DNA, but there are variances that show up in populations. Skin color, hair color, hair thickness, bone density, and so on. Asian cultures lack milk products in their cuisine. Half of the asian population has lactose intolerance. Asians have dry flakey earwax. So do Native Americans, who we assume arrived here from the Asian continent.

Seems about ten percent of DNA variance is between populations.

It's a losing approach to allow the conversation to only belong to racists. It seems to be an education level problem, because even the racists who discuss it do not understand how it all works. The people who are scared of it think its a bigger claim than it is as well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:19:03 PM by etiolate »

shosta

« Reply #2541 on: March 15, 2018, 10:14:45 PM »
the science is done, iq exists and has a sizable genetic component but the manifestation of your potential is so sensitive to other things that even something like being adopted can, on average, improve your iq by 14 points. Plus, Flynn effect, and poverty effects, etc. It's a facile intellectual argument. Shouldn't be banned for posing the idiotic question but prepare to be pwned by the complexity of the world.
每天生气

etiolate

« Reply #2542 on: March 15, 2018, 10:18:09 PM »
I read part of “Losing Ground” by Murray, and good lord that book was garbage.

And IQ is garbage. I knew a guy who bragged about his, and no one liked him.

:umad

Cream

• Bigender Hypersexual SJW Scum - She/He
« Reply #2543 on: March 15, 2018, 10:22:02 PM »
I don't think anything should be considered beyond scrutiny or doing the science again.  Performing a test that doesn't physically harm anything should never be taboo.  At worst you can scratch your head and consider it waste of time and resources on a settled matter, but at best you've got another study you can cite to back up your claims, or a study you can try to refute.

And “Are some races genetically smarter than others”   Is one question that people will always think we havent answered yet until we get the answer they like

etiolate

« Reply #2544 on: March 15, 2018, 10:28:27 PM »
the IQ model is a distribution model where an average IQ is just that: an average

A IQ comparisons between populations are dealing with a ginormous number of individual subjects summarized by a single average. If group A has an average IQ of 115 and group B has an average IQ of 125 then that doesn't mean someone out of group A has an IQ of 115.

It's only relevant if we're looking at questions involving huge populations. It's not relevant to everyday life. And it's certainly not justification for anything. It's only an element of information that has to be contextualized.

wsippel

« Reply #2545 on: March 15, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »

Pretty much. Our understanding of genetics and neurology is extremely limited as is (there is no "scientific consensus", as some folks in that thread claimed), so any research in those fields is welcome in my book. I personally consider those two fields, and their connection, some of the most fundamental and important topics in science, but it's also a field many scientists don't really want to tackle. For obvious reasons.

For example, brain scans have shown that many mass murderers and violent criminals share certain neuronal patterns. And you can't "fix" those. But what can you actually do with this information? It clashes with our basic concept of crime and punishment.

benjipwns

« Reply #2546 on: March 15, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »
I think it's an unanswerable question because we can't know what future races will exist. So to set it in stone at any time in any manner is going far beyond what we're capable of.

Like I think NASCAR events tend to be incredibly dumb races, but somebody might invent something even dumber and more popular at any time.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2547 on: March 15, 2018, 10:31:14 PM »
Zero-g Space-curling is the future of sport.

etiolate

« Reply #2548 on: March 15, 2018, 10:32:09 PM »
nah, the future is ethletic sword dodging

Cream

« Reply #2549 on: March 15, 2018, 10:32:24 PM »
 This is a sincere question,  are the scientists that laugh away anyone that considers the question about genetic Racial intelligence also influenced by that fear or does that come from their trust in the science that already exists?

benjipwns

« Reply #2550 on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:06 PM »
As long as it doesn't cater to racists like Michael Phelps, Jeff Gordon and Marit Bjorgen either is fine by me.

etiolate

« Reply #2551 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »
You cannot read my brilliance, but the "scientists" if they exist that laugh away the conversation are indeed operating out of fear.

If someone wants a study: https://www.ashg.org/education/pdf/geneticvariation.pdf

edit: it seemed cream wanted something on racial intelligence, which there is not yet much known. There are genetic differences in populations.

And I'd rather the term population be popularized because it more reflects what is being discussed. We keep using a culturalized term of race when discussing the studies of human as a species and the impact of tribal to large group isolation periods.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:42:40 PM by etiolate »

wsippel

« Reply #2552 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:46 PM »
And “Are some races genetically smarter than others”   Is one question that people will always think we havent answered yet until we get the answer they like

Well, it's a question we really haven't answered yet, because we don't even know what "smart" actually is or how it works.

For example, we know women have smaller brains than men, but more gray matter. Does that make them dumber or smarter? We don't know! Because we don't actually understand how brains work.

nudemacusers

« Reply #2553 on: March 15, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »
:what

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5630897/

Thread is milquetoast as fuck :lol what could possibly need review.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

shosta

« Reply #2554 on: March 15, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »
I'm sorry for asking what stupid fucking thing you posted because now this thread is descending into hell again.
 :hump :hump :hump :hump :hump :hump
每天生气

Cream

« Reply #2555 on: March 15, 2018, 10:41:06 PM »
I'm sorry for asking what stupid fucking thing you posted because now this thread is descending into hell again.
 :hump :hump :hump :hump :hump :hump

But I was trying really hard to keep it civil this time!  Didn’t you see daddy?

shosta

« Reply #2556 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:26 PM »
Just pull out your wiener when walking down the street next time you're out. The chicks love the 12 inches that most Era members claim they have
probably this disgusting nonchalant sexism and stealth incel.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #2557 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »

That's what the review will find out.

shosta

« Reply #2558 on: March 15, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
But I was trying really hard to keep it civil this time!  Didn’t you see daddy?
it's a dumb subject. Also don't call me daddy!

Wait, don't not call me daddy...
每天生气

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #2559 on: March 15, 2018, 10:43:45 PM »
We should just call ourselves breeds instead of races. Some breeds of did are definitely smarter that others on average. Why can't different breeds of people be smarter than others? Makes sense to me.

Woof.

BisMarckie

« Reply #2560 on: March 15, 2018, 10:44:55 PM »

:drudge

https://www.resetera.com/posts/5627761/

Yeah, a lot of girls are flakey

:drudge

benjipwns

« Reply #2561 on: March 15, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
Really, if you think about it, all threads that receive so many posts should automatically be locked and placed in a queue until reviewed by a committee of moderators (each member having a number of votes based on a progressive stack system) to determine unanimously whether or not it should be reopened for further discussion.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #2562 on: March 15, 2018, 10:45:54 PM »
We should just call ourselves breeds instead of races. Some breeds of did are definitely smarter that others on average. Why can't different breeds of people be smarter than others? Makes sense to me.

Woof.

Differences in breeds of all types of animals is ok, hell even differences in athleticism is ok amongst populations in humans but intelligence? psst of course not you racist!

etiolate

« Reply #2563 on: March 15, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »
crossbreeds  :phil

shosta

« Reply #2564 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »
If I want to get laid, I'll just go rent a whore and enjoy all the better aspects of being single.
Uncouth Norseman
banned
每天生气

nudemacusers

« Reply #2565 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:08 PM »

That's what the review will find out.
If this thread isn’t problematic, why is it locked?  :rollsafe
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Cream

« Reply #2566 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:48 PM »
 As far as I know and this is admittedly like 75% assumption reviews like that happen if the thread gets a large number of reports

benjipwns

« Reply #2567 on: March 15, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »

Woof.
I will wait for Great Rumbler's take on this subject before commenting further. Especially since he's a mod. A good mod. Yes, he is. Who's the good moderator? Who's the good moderator?

shosta

« Reply #2568 on: March 15, 2018, 10:48:22 PM »
As far as I know and this is admittedly like 75% assumption reviews like that happen if the thread gets a large number of reports
You don't say???
每天生气

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #2569 on: March 15, 2018, 10:48:34 PM »
Is that why you have a bunch of alt-accounts so you can click that report button on as many posts as possible?  :doge

Cream

« Reply #2570 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:39 PM »
YOU DON'T SAY

The way people were talking it seemed like the mods locked it for review just because they thought the content was problematic . Srry bb

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #2571 on: March 15, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
Sometimes I wish I was single just so I could try Tinder or Grinder or whatever those dating/fuck apps are all about.

But then I remembered I tried signing up for this site once and for rejected within 1 minute and count my lucky stars I married a woman way, way hotter than I deserve.
https://www.beautifulpeople.com/en-US

samir

« Reply #2572 on: March 15, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
YOU DON'T SAY

The way people were talking it seemed like the mods locked it for review just because they thought the content was problematic . Srry bb
The question is why do the REEtards chimp out in every thread and spam the report button?

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #2573 on: March 15, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »

Woof.
I will wait for Great Rumbler's take on this subject before commenting further. Especially since he's a mod. A good mod. Yes, he is. Who's the good moderator? Who's the good moderator?

I'm glad someone saw post yet another one of my many, many autocorrect typos because I never ever spell change my posts.

daemon

« Reply #2574 on: March 15, 2018, 10:52:40 PM »
The angle that was the closest to make sense as an argument against Kingdom Come Nazi was that people might have deliberately chosen a setting with no diversity in skin colour to begin with. But even that is reaching, since we aren't exactly swimming in medieval games and it's not really an outlandish desire to simulate the era (especially since there's never been such a thing without stupid ass goblins and dragons, outside of RTS' anyway). And while there is no objective history and we can't *really* fully prove anything without a time machine, you have to be particularly limited to think that the ethnic heterogeneity of the modern US is anything but an exception in the grand scheme of things.

The setting is also directly related to the heritage of the devs. It's not like they went out of their way to find this setting.

Don't you dare normalize it!

shosta

« Reply #2575 on: March 15, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »
Sam, have you forgotten what hookups are like? You have as vanilla sex as possible or you take a shot in the dark and try to do something really risky, lasts like twenty minutes, then you leave and stew in your ennui or god forbid you stay and pretend to fall asleep or stare at the ceiling in regret. Meanwhile when you bone your waifu you can just go at it lazily while playing angry birds and they don't even give a shit. And you don't have to pay for a cab. Plus hookup sex happens every two weeks, maybe every week at best, and wife sex happens like once every five hours if you're doing your life right. Win.
每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #2576 on: March 15, 2018, 11:09:22 PM »
Sam, have you forgotten what hookups are like? You have as vanilla sex as possible or you take a shot in the dark and try to do something really risky, lasts like twenty minutes, then you leave and stew in your ennui or god forbid you stay and pretend to fall asleep or stare at the ceiling in regret. Meanwhile when you bone your waifu you can just go at it lazily while playing angry birds and they don't even give a shit. And you don't have to pay for a cab. Plus hookup sex happens every two weeks, maybe every week at best, and wife sex happens like once every five hours if you're doing your life right. Win.

Nah bro, feminism. I aint paying for SHIT.

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #2577 on: March 15, 2018, 11:14:56 PM »
This is a sincere question,  are the scientists that laugh away anyone that considers the question about genetic Racial intelligence also influenced by that fear or does that come from their trust in the science that already exists?

I think most scientists are smart or cynical enough to know that's not a question you can even begin to ask without seeing funding dry up.  It would be neat to see if some isolated races are "math" smart or "spatially" smart but but anything found could be thoroughly annihilated by social sciences.  It's pretty easy to find nurturing behavior that explained away any nature causes.
sigh

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #2578 on: March 15, 2018, 11:20:18 PM »
not moving from one fwb to another because youre a cunt and self-sabotage all the potential actual relationships :nope
bent

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #2579 on: March 15, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »
User Banned (Duration Pending) : Sexism and endorsing sexual slavery. History of sexist remarks.

I assumed ERA was progressive enough to recognize that consensual prostitution is not the same as sexual slavery. 
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5627943/

Even Law and Order: SVU said escorting should be given a blind eye in the Rhodium Nights storyline.  SVU!
sigh