Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 136612 times)

Himu

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue
« Reply #1500 on: April 26, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »
You get the dress based on your performance in the dance mini game. That replaced the clothing shop but the drunk dad at the bar who is lost about life, the clothing shop, materia shop owner laying down, the restaurant where you eat various shit, someone at the bathroom in the bar while someone is waiting outside needing to tinkle are all there. Add in squats, various crap going on behind the doors at Honey Bee Inn, and we are there. You don't go the same route as the original but all the other stuff is still there as Easter eggs.

I have never not gotten picked by Don Corneo besides the first time I played FFVII in 1997. So I have no idea what you're talking about with people chasing Cloud. I got picked as number one by the Don and the scene was verbatim with the original.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1501 on: April 26, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »
i dunno i thought the

spoiler (click to show/hide)
handjob and dance number were a lot more fun than the original
[close]

also

there's a branching path in the town; you'll either get madam m or cowboy sam to give you some random quests depending on how you answer questions in the town. i got the madam and didn't end up interacting with all those people around town.
[close]
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1502 on: April 26, 2020, 03:14:28 PM »
Dresses are determined by:

- What answer you give Tifa during Chapter 4. Two of these dresses are unique to this dialog, the third can be seen as well by not doing any sidequests at all (which unlocks the conversation)

- How many sidequests you do during Chapter 8 for Aerith

- How many sidequests you do during Wall Market for Cloud

Also you can do the "original" sidequests depending on who you get for the sidequests (either Sam's quests, or Madam M's - Sam's quests involve going to each area of wall market with johnny and getting the medicine, etc etc). Obviously they are streamlined but you do go through the motions. This is also determined based on your decisions to people (Sam asking about Tifa, commenting on Aerith's outfit...etc)

You only get one "set" of sidequests in a playthrough so you have to play it twice to get the "All Quests" trophy
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:19:51 PM by demi »
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1503 on: April 26, 2020, 03:27:36 PM »
i got the trophy for three dresses and i don't know how. is there a way to change which one you have equipped? cloud was in some fucking goth bullshit and it looked ridiculous.

nevermind i just looked it up and all of clouds dresses look like shit
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1504 on: April 26, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
Nope, you can only get 3 dresses a playthrough

You need to do 3 plays minimum to get the 9 dress trophy
fat

Svejk

« Reply #1505 on: April 26, 2020, 04:41:48 PM »
I have never not gotten picked by Don Corneo besides the first time I played FFVII in 1997. So I have no idea what you're talking about with people chasing Cloud. I got picked as number one by the Don and the scene was verbatim with the original.
Weird... I haven't played as much as you most likely, but of the times I've played on the OG, I always got this scene (I guess where Aerith gets picked)...  which I was expecting and looking forward too.  I love how Cloud breaks out of his garb and fucks those guys up and goes on to the rescue.   Is this in FF7R?

Himu

« Reply #1506 on: April 26, 2020, 04:56:29 PM »
No clue but the cutscenes with the girls is. No fight tho just a cutscene.
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #1507 on: April 26, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
I had fun with this game, but I'm definitely good. Not doing any extras or trophy hunting.  I had my fill.

Hopefully we get some DLC.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1508 on: April 26, 2020, 07:31:42 PM »
Hopefully we get some DLC.

I wouldn't count on there being anything substantial, maybe some new sidequests, as the team is most likely moving straight on to Part 2.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1509 on: April 27, 2020, 12:31:02 AM »
Just made it to Aerith's house then decided to call it quits. I like it so far, even though it's super linear... well, I expected it to be pretty linear but to the point where if you go slightly off path the game blocks you... Combat is pretty fun, it almost feels like an evolution of Parasite Eve in a way. The subway dungeon was kinda boring, and some of the textures look clearly unfinished (like, Cloud's whole home in the sector 7 slums, did they model that on an N64?)
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1510 on: April 27, 2020, 11:39:45 AM »
when jessie dies and tifa is literally going :stahp thats all i could think of :lol
[close]
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #1511 on: April 27, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
So far, Chapter 10 and 11...
:boring
[close]

El Babua

« Reply #1512 on: April 27, 2020, 04:45:21 PM »
Beat it. Really enjoyed it. Way more than I expected.

The last 4 or so chapters might be the craziest run of setpieces and boss battles ever put in a game.
[close]

The ending was some Kingdom Hearts shit, but I'm interested to see how they take things.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1513 on: April 29, 2020, 01:07:54 PM »
At the beginning of the game there’s a part that takes place at Jessie’s parents house in suburban Midgar. There’s three eco-terrorists eating pizza with Jessie’s mom while one of them is wearing a bandolier and the others have extra ammo strapped to themselves and combat armor. Apparently they’re supposed to be like...stage hands? While this is taking place Cloud is sneaking into a cancer patient’s room to steal his id. He also has a 6 foot sword strapped to his back. I almost quit at this point. Turns out the game rules. Best active combat system in an rpg since Valkyrie Profile 2, there’s enough nostalgia to make it feel like ff7 but different enough that enough that it isn’t on autopilot. Also there’sa mini game where cloud vogues with another guy in order to dress in drag. Solid 9/10.
vin

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1514 on: April 29, 2020, 02:05:45 PM »
The additions have been hit-or-miss for me so far:

Hit - I liked the upper Midgar area since you don't get to explore that in the original (only Crisis Core). I also dug the Sector 5 town area and adding some basic puzzles to the collapsed highway area (and also the music in the collapsed highway!). Also dug how they flesh out Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse.

Miss - The subway tunnel section seemed to DRAG, as well as a few of the connecting areas (such as getting from the church to the Sector 5 town via the rooftops, or some of the junkyard type areas between important spots). Some of the new NPCs are lame, like Johnny, or don't really serve much purpose, like Marle.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1515 on: April 29, 2020, 02:22:53 PM »
Johnny isn't new, he was in the original too. He just has more of a spotlight in this one
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1516 on: April 29, 2020, 02:30:56 PM »
I've never been so miserable playing a mainline Final Fantasy game in my life. Hated this game. Awful battle system. Ugly graphics.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:37:10 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1517 on: April 29, 2020, 02:41:49 PM »
the king is back :rejoice
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #1518 on: April 29, 2020, 02:46:42 PM »
So I got to the "finish all your quests now (9 new quests)" before you go to the final dungeon bit (at ~25 hours now) and I was a little surprised because my 20 year+ old memory of FFVII thought there was a lot more story to Midgar because I remember Rufus being a big deal in it and I haven't even seen him yet in this remake.

But then I went to gamefaqs and looked up a PS1 guide and saw that dang, this remake actually is following the original pretty darn close.

So I guess that's just how it was. My hazy old memory of FFVII only remembers a few Midgar bits, the spoiler bit, Golden Saucer and Cosmo Canyon and then final dungeon/ending. I don't remember anything else other than

I vaguely remember some part where Cloud ends up in a wheelchair
[close]

This game is A++++++
during the Barrett section I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun he was to play as. I love playing Cloud, Aerith and Barrett. Tifa is ok too but feels kinda weak jabs mostly. I hope they continue to make every playable character really unique and fun to play as.

Also I want the next game ASAP. Like as much as world maps are fun and all, if they ditched that and just made pt.2 a linear FFX-style world trek like this and it means we get one of these games every 2 years, let's do it. All the matters is the combat and cutscenes/story/writing.

Himu

« Reply #1519 on: April 29, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
At the beginning of the game there’s a part that takes place at Jessie’s parents house in suburban Midgar. There’s three eco-terrorists eating pizza with Jessie’s mom while one of them is wearing a bandolier and the others have extra ammo strapped to themselves and combat armor. Apparently they’re supposed to be like...stage hands? While this is taking place Cloud is sneaking into a cancer patient’s room to steal his id. He also has a 6 foot sword strapped to his back. I almost quit at this point. Turns out the game rules. Best active combat system in an rpg since Valkyrie Profile 2, there’s enough nostalgia to make it feel like ff7 but different enough that enough that it isn’t on autopilot. Also there’sa mini game where cloud vogues with another guy in order to dress in drag. Solid 9/10.

Another VP2 believer.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1520 on: April 29, 2020, 02:49:46 PM »
Also, personally I feel like this game is sooooooooooooo much better than the original.

I like FFVII. Good FF, good rpg. But it wasn't top3 or maybe even top5 FF games for me. But the writing and fleshing out of these characters so well + fantastic combat + insane visuals make it up their with the best FFs so far. I really love all the characters in FFVIIr. They're so good. Not a bad one in sight. Definitely one of the best FF casts already.

I'd love to see an FFX remake like this one day.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1521 on: April 29, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
thats reminded me, does that daryl hall looking nicca even show up again?

it feels like forever ago i played that section  :lol
(ice)

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1522 on: April 29, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
"Insane visuals"

Here's a 2d background that would make the PS2 Ace Combat game's ground textures embarrassed.

Bebpo

« Reply #1523 on: April 29, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »
 :derp

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1524 on: April 29, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
The games does range from looking great, to looking like a high res ps3 game.

But as long as all the waifus are cute.  :-[

Bebpo

« Reply #1525 on: April 29, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »
uh, this is easily one of the best looking console games in existence. I hear it's even crazier in HDR. It's definitely the best looking graphics in an SE game and I can't think of anything on PS4 that looks better. idk what you guys are talking about.

It looks like playable Advent Children/CG movie 95% of the time.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1526 on: April 29, 2020, 03:27:02 PM »
This battle system was complete shit. People like to rag on FFXIII and it's auto battle, but all this game did was prove auto battle was right. Or I guess you like baby sitting the characters.

"Ok the enemy is staggerd, I'm going to switch to Tifa to do here chi shit. I hope you Cloud AI can realize you should also go all out and stay in Punisher....oh you can't".

Also the stagerd system is dumbed down in this game compared to XIII where while narrow minded had a much more fun focus on being agressive and finding ways to keep it up. Unlike here where it dosen't go down, except when the boss decides to to a transition and throws away all your progress. Hope you did'nt use a limit break!

So janky in all it's execution.

"Oh lets make an action rpg where the doge is useless. We here at Square have no idea what i-frames are and think if an enemy uses jump, it actually should just follow you"

"Lets make it so enemies can dodge your magic, but you can't aim and mp is limited"

"Yeah the Materia system is perfect for making your characters the way you want....but yeah they really should all be kind of samey"

"Yeah use areo on the flying enemies.....who easily fly away"

"Oh you built up stagger...well fuck boss transition! Hope you did'nt use a limit break..."

"Hope you like constantly re-slotting Materia as you have no control over the party! Even in the ending that has already deviated from the original story"

"Probably need to waste a couple of slots doing basic things like telling the ai to heal and having the ability to heal yourself as well as the best healer is gone for most of the game"

"Hope that magic that you can't aim did'nt hit something on the environments rendering it useless"

"Remember when XIII had some awkward hit boxes and things...well it's worse now because it's in real time"

"Sound mixing whats that? I mean we knew it back when we made FFXIII"

"Oh we made this stagger system dependent on the magic...hope you brought the right ones to battle or you're fucked"

"So the boss has a window where you are supposed to stagger him....and too bad your ai is shit and hasn't built up atb"

"Oh so we are making a pretty good story....time to shit on it with random bs that has nothing to do with the main plot"

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1527 on: April 29, 2020, 03:28:19 PM »
Lol "final dungeon bit" you got quite a bit yet

You will see Rufus and his JNCOs soon enough (he also wasn't a big deal in the original, he randomly appears and flies away just as fast as the original)
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1528 on: April 29, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »
This battle system was complete shit. People like to rag on FFXIII and it's auto battle, but all this game did was prove auto battle was right. Or I guess you like baby sitting the characters.
"Ok the enemy is staggerd, I'm going to switch to Tifa to do here chi shit. I hope you Cloud AI can realize you should also go all out and stay in Punisher....oh you can't".
Also the stagerd system is dumbed down in this game compared to XIII where while narrow minded had a much more fun focus on being agressive and finding ways to keep it up. Unlike here where it dosen't go down, except when the boss decides to to a transition and throws away all your progress. Hope you did'nt use a limit break!
"Oh lets make an action rpg where the doge is useless. We here at Square have no idea what i-frames are and think if an enemy uses jump, it actually should just follow you"
"Lets make it so enemies can dodge your magic, but you can't aim and mp is limited"
"Yeah the Materia system is perfect for making your characters the way you want....but yeah they really should all be kind of samey"
"Oh you built up stagger...well fuck boss transition! Hope you did'nt use a limit break..."
"Hope you like constantly re-slotting Materia as you have no control over the party! Even in the ending that has already deviated from the original story"
"Probably need to waste a couple of slots doing basic things like telling the ai to heal and having the ability to heal yourself as well as the best healer is gone for most of thegame"
"Hope that magic that you can't aim did'nt hit something on the environments rendering it useless"
"Remember when XIII had some awkward hit boxes and things...well it's worse now because it's in real time"
"Oh we made this stagger system dependent on the magic...hope you brought the right ones to battle or you're fucked"
"So the boss has a window where you are supposed to stagger him....and too bad your ai is shit and hasn't built up atb"
"Oh so we are making a pretty good story....time to shit on it with random bs that has nothing to do with the main plot"

:sabu
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1529 on: April 29, 2020, 03:42:18 PM »
Also, personally I feel like this game is sooooooooooooo much better than the original.

I like FFVII. Good FF, good rpg. But it wasn't top3 or maybe even top5 FF games for me. But the writing and fleshing out of these characters so well + fantastic combat + insane visuals make it up their with the best FFs so far. I really love all the characters in FFVIIr. They're so good. Not a bad one in sight. Definitely one of the best FF casts already.

I'd love to see an FFX remake like this one day.

I also think it's better than the original, nitpicks aside. If it included the world map all the way to say, Junon, I'd say it'd probably be one of the best rpgs ever.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1530 on: April 29, 2020, 03:44:28 PM »
"Probably need to waste a couple of slots doing basic things like telling the ai to heal and having the ability to heal yourself as well as the best healer is gone for most of thegame"

:sabu
:trumps

It's true. The game is garbage.

Himu

« Reply #1531 on: April 29, 2020, 03:47:56 PM »
I don't rate FFVII highly as far as FF games go. I love the story and characters but the gameplay is lacking and it's not fun to play imo in 2020. This remake takes everything I like about FFVII and makes it better. Exactly what I wanted. It has some awkward pacing issues (dragging out train graveyard and sector 7 plate drop) but other than that it's a fantastic remake.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1532 on: April 29, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »
Also FFX doesn't really need a remake imo. FFVIII could use one to improve some things and add more customization/balance, and they could make IX not a completely boring snooze fest of a game and maybe give the characters actual characterization this time. V and VI could use graphical face lifts at best.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1533 on: April 29, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
Tifa's okay. I prefer a team of Cloud, Aerith, and Barret. Shame that team can't last long.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1534 on: April 29, 2020, 03:54:59 PM »
But her triangle attacks don't see that good? Plus I feel like they tend to miss a lot on moving enemies.

I do like her divekick, faster than Clouds jumping smash abilities and just as damaging. Starshower or whatever is fun to look at too.

Also FFX doesn't really need a remake imo. FFVIII could use one to improve some things and add more customization/balance, and they could make IX not a completely boring snooze fest of a game and maybe give the characters actual characterization this time. V and VI could use graphical face lifts at best.

I agree with everything you said, but I'd still want an FFX remake just for these kind of visuals and expanded/improved characterization.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1535 on: April 29, 2020, 03:56:26 PM »
I also liked having Aerith in my party as she was the best healer in the game and it allowed to spec my other characters the way I wanted them to be.

Too bad the game says fuck that.

"Oh but man XIII sucks because it takes 40 hours until you have the party and it the game opens up. I much perfer this game where it never opens up".

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1536 on: April 29, 2020, 03:59:16 PM »
I used Barrett as my healer.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1537 on: April 29, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
Her triangle attacks stack and can combo, Bebpo. Build up two attacks with whatever that ability is called then use triangle attacks three times in a row, after that she'll finish the combo with uppercut. That's when you use dropkick as a finisher. Tifa is a power house. I don't like playing as her though.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1538 on: April 29, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
I used Barrett as my healer and Cloud as my healer.

Aerith as a DPS machine, why heal.

Her triangle attacks stack and can combo, Bebpo. Build up two attacks with whatever that ability is called then use triangle attacks three times in a row, after that she'll finish the combo with uppercut. That's when you use dropkick as a finisher. Tifa is a power house. I don't like playing as her though.

I know, but it just doesn't seem that great. Waste 2ATB bars and miss some of the combo...ehhhh.

Himu

« Reply #1539 on: April 29, 2020, 04:01:20 PM »
But her triangle attacks don't see that good? Plus I feel like they tend to miss a lot on moving enemies.

I do like her divekick, faster than Clouds jumping smash abilities and just as damaging. Starshower or whatever is fun to look at too.

I agree with everything you said, but I'd still want an FFX remake just for these kind of visuals and expanded/improved characterization.

Lulu could use it but eh. I feel like X is a complete game, crappy side quests aside. X International is a top tier FF game.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1540 on: April 29, 2020, 04:02:36 PM »
I do like this maximum stream atb attack I got with Barrett though. Before that was mostly just using him as a mage/healer with distancing, but put some ATK on that weapon and have him spam that bullet stream and damn he destroys.

Pretty much everyone is good in their own way. I wonder how Cait Sith will play. I also wonder if they'll add additional party members that weren't in the original.

I mean for pt.2 they can add Red XIII and Cat Saith
Pt.3 add Cid, Yuffie and Vincent

Bebpo

« Reply #1541 on: April 29, 2020, 04:05:18 PM »

Lulu could use it but eh. I feel like X is a complete game, crappy side quests aside. X International is a top tier FF game.

Yeah, my top3 single player FFs are probably FFVI, FFX International and probably FFVIII.

I've still never played FFXII with the job board international version though. I thought the first 1/2 of XII in the original was up there as top-tier FF games, but the last 1/2 or 1/3rd was such a downgrade it lowered my opinion a lot. A replay might raise it up. Also still need to play FFXV, who knows, maybe I'll love it haha

Himu

« Reply #1542 on: April 29, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »
XII International is fantastic. The story hasn't be fixed but the gameplay is even better.

I, IV, V, VI, VIII, X International, XII, and Tactics :lawd Tops. Now we can add VII Remake to the pile.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1543 on: April 29, 2020, 04:08:42 PM »
The additions have been hit-or-miss for me so far:

Hit - I liked the upper Midgar area since you don't get to explore that in the original (only Crisis Core). I also dug the Sector 5 town area and adding some basic puzzles to the collapsed highway area (and also the music in the collapsed highway!). Also dug how they flesh out Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse.

Miss - The subway tunnel section seemed to DRAG, as well as a few of the connecting areas (such as getting from the church to the Sector 5 town via the rooftops, or some of the junkyard type areas between important spots). Some of the new NPCs are lame, like Johnny, or don't really serve much purpose, like Marle.

Johnny isn't new at all, you run into him multiple times in the OG game, all the way up to Costa Del Sol IIRC.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1544 on: April 29, 2020, 04:14:39 PM »
I also made Barret the healer even though his healing is garbage. But what are you going to do? Character progress is garbage in this game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1545 on: April 29, 2020, 04:14:40 PM »
Tifa is nasty. Use Chi Trap or Starshower, plus her "build up" attacks increase stagger percentage for free.

I thought Aerith was dead weight personally.

Just speaking from a high and mighty platinum trophy player
fat

Himu

« Reply #1546 on: April 29, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »
Johnny was great and glad they included him and gave him a better part. His dad is also great, whose storyline ended at sector 7 in the original. Johnny's story ends in Costa Del Sol in the original when he finally settles down so I'm glad we get more here.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1547 on: April 29, 2020, 04:21:17 PM »
aerith is the hardest for me to use, but i loaded her up on attack materia and abused that double cast ability against everything with an elemental weakness. in that way she plays a lot like a black mage from xiv, in that she has to stand in one place but can deal brutal damage.
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1548 on: April 29, 2020, 04:21:21 PM »
Johnny was fucking awful and unfunny. His side quest in Wall Market was unbearable and shit....like pretty much all the "side quests" in this game.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1549 on: April 29, 2020, 04:22:52 PM »
I'm wondering how they're going to split up future games with the world map and all. of course you'll be getting the airship at some point, so how are they going to handle being able to visit all the old locations?
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1550 on: April 29, 2020, 04:27:14 PM »
Lol why would anyone want an overworld in this game? They can’t even make the current small game world look good.

And the airship will be like the fast travel here and FFX. Just a  select screen.

Lol FFXIII looks better than this game.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1551 on: April 29, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »
She basically blows without Doublecast materia and even  her special abilities are a bit shit. i like that one AOE ability of hers i guess? not done with the game.
Yeah she sucks. But her healing and magic abilities are great. Cure plus magnify and you can just use cura and never have to do any other healing.

But switching to her is terrible. But the ai is terrible...But I need her to have atb..

Why is this battle system good?

Himu

« Reply #1552 on: April 29, 2020, 04:33:56 PM »
Her AOE spell is fantastic. At the beginning of the game when you don't have an All materia (magnify in this game), it's an excellent source for hitting multiple enemies at once.
IYKYK

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1553 on: April 29, 2020, 04:37:48 PM »
Tifa wrecks shop when you learn how to use her. Can’t wait to play this on hard
vin

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1554 on: April 29, 2020, 05:59:50 PM »
Not really. This game is clearly the next game from the XIII team and has a lot in common with that game. They clearly took a lot of the criticism with that game and tried to make something pleasing.

People complain about auto battle and it’s clear it was a crutch they put in later. I don’t believe the demo has it. Because I’m sure they found that some people wouldn’t be able to keep up later in the game. The game should have had a hard mode honestly that takes that out and I think people would see what’s so great about it. I mean it’s a very narrow minded battle system in that being aggressive is the only way to win, but switching paradigms for a second to do whatever and then go back on the attack is just as rewarding as lining up everyone’s attack here.

And they are similar as both have the stagger system. It kind of works the same way, but VII is a little simpler. Both have magic as the main way to increase it. But XIII’s would drop so you’d have to maybe quickly switch to get a physical in. Also debuff magic worked on the stagger.. It like VII would also have the enemies have quick windows where it was best to stagger. Except in VII sometimes I find it can be awkward as everyone else’s atb is not ready or I myself am just not ready or in an awkward position.  But I guess that’s why they made it not drop off in this game. But I say “babysit” because I think this game should have an “all out” feature. I’m going to switch to Tifa to do her chi stuff, but that shouldn’t mean Cloud drops his punisher stance. I’m going to go punisher with cloud, Areith should use the best magic she has on staggers enemies as I used assess(like in Xiii). I mean I guess it’s a small thing, but I often found it annoying that they didn’t have at least one atb bar filled up. Which ok I guess I’ll quickly play as them, but I didn’t find Barret or Areith that fun to play. Ok just use Barret’s special I guess.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1555 on: April 29, 2020, 06:50:46 PM »
It didn’t give me any trouble. Of course I’m bullshitting here. It’s a mainline FF game, of course I liked it.

But I didn’t like it as much on my first play through. And I think it has plenty of problems. I’m enjoying it more on my 2nd fresh save play through, if only because I’ve made Cloud just super balanced dude.

But I still think XIII has a good battle system and is a bit more polished.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1556 on: April 29, 2020, 07:59:20 PM »
Johnny isn't new, he was in the original too. He just has more of a spotlight in this one

Heh, that's what I get for not having played the game since 97...

Another nitpick that is starting to get grating - wasting an atb bar on a magic spell that an enemy cancels... this has really fucked me a number of times.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:03:22 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #1557 on: April 29, 2020, 07:59:40 PM »
She basically blows without Doublecast materia and even  her special abilities are a bit shit. i like that one AOE ability of hers i guess? not done with the game.

Aerith's arcane ward double cast is the most game breaking ability I've encountered in the game so far. Being able to keep launching ~ra/~ga spells at the enemy weakpoints 2 at a time just staggers the fuck and damages the fuck out of anything. When I don't have Aerith in my party, fights take way longer and are tougher. I abuse that shit.

Hell arcane ward is extremely broken in that it's not just her double casting! You can put all 3 characters in the ward and have them fire 6 spells with 2atb each. Sure it eats through your MP like nobody's business, but that is nuke damage.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1558 on: April 29, 2020, 08:26:03 PM »
Those are still problems I had. I certainly don’t think the battle system is as good as a lot of people here do. And I really don’t like the materia system. especially because party make up is out of your control.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1559 on: April 29, 2020, 09:08:09 PM »
I never used autobattle in FF13, turned off the minimap too. maybe that's why I had a better experience with it than others seemed to?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
QED