Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809746 times)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: FitnessBore - 2010 edition
« Reply #840 on: March 04, 2010, 04:33:38 PM »
Willco's pee is gonna smell so pungent
:9

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #841 on: March 04, 2010, 04:35:12 PM »
It will be a formidable scent!
PSP

Himu

« Reply #842 on: March 04, 2010, 04:35:57 PM »
Congrats will!
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #843 on: March 04, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »
Is it counter-productive to do pushups and pullups everyday?
Short answer: yes. Alternating them (push ups Monday, pull ups Tuesday, push ups Wednesday, etc...) would be more effective.
Draft, you're still doing your Rippetoes?  I'm thinking of moving to a 5/3/1 program.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #844 on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I am not Draft, but I'm thinking my Starting Strength phase might be nearing an end. It's getting to the point where I need so much recovery time, I can only get one of the lifts in; if I try to do squats AND press (say) in the hour or less that I have to work out, I end up performing horribly on the press.

It's hard to tell though - this might just be a plateau. Might look back on this and laugh that I ever thought of quitting!

On the other hand, it's definitely time to shed some flab. I'm 77kg now, vs 71kg last November (which was pretty f'ing lean given my build). I did some sprint intervals the other day and I've lost a lot of speed. Will be interesting to see how long it takes for it to come back.
vjj

Rman

« Reply #845 on: March 04, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »
I'm plateauing on SS as well.  I'm also in dire need of variation.  I've been looking into the MoveNAT stuff as well and just going random for quarter or so.

So, it's a toss up between a more advanced training program or looking to work on other metabolic pathways.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #846 on: March 04, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »
My plan was always just to go back to mainline Crossfit. Hopefully I'll be strong enough to do some of the wackier stuff now. I have no serious ambition to attempt to max out my strength, since it's pretty unlikely I could even do that before I hit 40 and the testosterone dries up completely.
vjj

Draft

« Reply #847 on: March 04, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »
Short answer: yes. Alternating them (push ups Monday, pull ups Tuesday, push ups Wednesday, etc...) would be more effective.
Draft, you're still doing your Rippetoes?  I'm thinking of moving to a 5/3/1 program.
Doing a modified program with some HIIT worked in. I was starting to get fat.

Cormac, do you go to a xfit gym or just do the WODs yourself? A xfit affiliate opened near my gym and I was thinking of checking it out, but it is FUCK expensive. Like $150 a month.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #848 on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
Damn tonight was good. Moving up on bench again next session. Got back to squat and deadlift too. I'm also one level closer to being done with assisted pullups. I actually did bench twice because i still had energy at the end and my wife wasn't finished. I feel like a beast. The fish oil has really been helping with recovery.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #849 on: March 04, 2010, 11:53:41 PM »
Oh. I forgot to add I'm going to experiment with decline bench press. The top of my pecs are hard as rocks but they drop off and have like a little nutsack of fat at the bottom. So I'm going to work the lower portion some days to even it. The fat has been disappearing with cardio but I'm not really into having half a pec.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #850 on: March 04, 2010, 11:56:38 PM »
Its awkward unmounting but decline dumbell presses were sex for me pecks. You can get a sick stretch with them and the squeeze at the top, oh fuck, so good.
:9

Himu

« Reply #851 on: March 05, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »
Its awkward unmounting but decline dumbell presses were sex for me pecks. You can get a sick stretch with them and the squeeze at the top, oh fuck, so good.

Nice one.

I also like taking two 10 pound free weights and laying on a bench, have one weight in each hand and move my arms in a swimming motion.

If you keep doing it can burn like fuck, but I think it's been paying off.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #852 on: March 05, 2010, 12:16:40 AM »
Oh yeah, it was definitely good.  It was hard as hell.  I 5 sets of 145.  I wasn't able to get the last rep in.  I had to bail and put it on the lower rest but it felt good.  I figure I can also hold an L position for my abs in between sets.  I can already see it will do me some good.  btw, post pics of your sexy pecs rawr  haha

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #853 on: March 05, 2010, 12:16:58 AM »
I've been doing a hell of a lot better with dumbbell presses than the barbell stuff. Lets you mix it up real fast too, within a set, which I think works better with my goals.

Rman

« Reply #854 on: March 05, 2010, 12:53:58 AM »
Doing a modified program with some HIIT worked in. I was starting to get fat.

Cormac, do you go to a xfit gym or just do the WODs yourself? A xfit affiliate opened near my gym and I was thinking of checking it out, but it is FUCK expensive. Like $150 a month.

Same.  I wanted to take the intro classes, but it was 150 too.  That's crazy, especially since xfit promotes accessibility.

duckman2000

« Reply #855 on: March 05, 2010, 12:59:13 AM »
That's about on par with the local place, although I think they charge even more. I guess it's supposed to promote dedication, but it feels mostly elitist to me. Seems like a twisted concept of dedication to me. They also apparently have a very strict policy of kicking you right out if you fail to use it a certain amount of time per month, which is incompatible with my situation, having a kid and all.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:02:13 AM by duckman2000 »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #856 on: March 05, 2010, 01:01:25 AM »
Draft/Rman -

The closest Crossfit gym to me is Okinawa :lol

When I'm Crossfitting, I do a combination of workouts at home/in parks etc and at the gym. Right now, the gym has everything I need. When you're Crossfitting, it quickly becomes amazing how much stuff they DON'T have! Jump rope! How much would it friggin' cost them to buy a couple dozen jump ropes?  Yet I always have to bring my own. I also end up making a lot of substitutions, like using dumbells in place of kettlebells.

I agree on the price of the Xfit gyms. From what I saw in Okinawa, they give you a hell of a lot in return for that money, but it really is an 'all-in' type deal. They don't want you coming in just to use the equipment. They want you going there for the training, the group camaraderie/motivational support, dietary advice, etc. If you already have a solid foundation in fitness, it may not be for you. I hear a lot of people do Crossfit at home, and do occasional one-on-one sessions with trainers to work on form and so forth.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #857 on: March 05, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
They don't want you coming in just to use the equipment. They want you going there for the training, the group camaraderie/motivational support, dietary advice, etc.

That still seems twisted to me, as it confuses dedication with financial ability. I'd have an easier time getting on their side if they just came out and said that 'hey, this shit cost money and this is how much we cost.' That's fair enough. Basically, I think they are just as full of shit and of themselves as anyone else.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:11:57 AM by duckman2000 »

Rman

« Reply #858 on: March 05, 2010, 01:15:18 AM »
I'm guessing that price has to do with economies of scale.  Crossfit is still a very nascent fitness movement, as least compared to the traditional gym, which boomed in the 70s.  The facilities, equipment, and management staff/trainers salaries aren't cheap. 

I've never worked with a xfit trainer, but the quality of trainers in most commercial gyms is pathetic.  It's sad too because most aren't cheap, but most suck.   They don't use any metrics.  They lack any knowledge of basic anatomy.  They answer their cell phones while providing training.  And on and on and on. 

I've heard the xfit trainers are top notch, however, so the price may be worth it in the long run for a beginner.

duckman2000

« Reply #859 on: March 05, 2010, 01:24:17 AM »
I'm guessing that price has to do with economies of scale.  Crossfit is still a very nascent fitness movement, as least compared to the traditional gym, which boomed in the 70s.  The facilities, equipment, and management staff/trainers salaries aren't cheap. 

I've never worked with a xfit trainer, but the quality of trainers in most commercial gyms is pathetic.  It's sad too because most aren't cheap, but most suck.   They don't use any metrics.  They lack any knowledge of basic anatomy.  They answer their cell phones while providing training.  I've heard the xfit trainers are top notch, so the price may be worth it in the long run for a beginner.

I'm sure that's exactly it, and it's probably worth it if you have the time to put into it, but that really has nothing to do with the "dedication" load of crap that they use to explain the cost. My problem certainly isn't dedication, it's sometimes money, and always time. The latter rule, the one that dictates that members must actually use the facilities, that makes some sense and goes well with the dedication bit. The money bit really doesn't.

On that note, there is a gym here that offers crossfit as an alternative, and it's far cheaper. From observing a session, the trainer there certainly seemed dedicated. Partnering up with existing gyms seems like it would be a decent model, but I'm guessing a lot of the gyms and their traditional trainers would be resistant to that. The gym in question almost forgot to mention it, so yeah.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #860 on: March 05, 2010, 01:44:44 AM »
The equipment at a Crossfit gym is not a major factor. The biggest by far is the trainers. These guys are pretty serious professionals, in my experience. Try finding someone at globogym who can teach you how to do a snatch, a muscle-up or a double-under. Then try finding a single individual who can do all three. I don't think they hide the cost, so I don't get duckman's ire at all. How are they full of shit?

(it's hard to speak in generalizations, as these places are all affiliates, not centrally-managed in any way. Business philosophies and practice vary considerably I'm sure).
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #861 on: March 05, 2010, 01:48:48 AM »
They don't want you coming in just to use the equipment. They want you going there for the training, the group camaraderie/motivational support, dietary advice, etc.

That still seems twisted to me, as it confuses dedication with financial ability. I'd have an easier time getting on their side if they just came out and said that 'hey, this shit cost money and this is how much we cost.' That's fair enough. Basically, I think they are just as full of shit and of themselves as anyone else.

Anyone who understands this post, please explain it to me.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #862 on: March 05, 2010, 01:57:43 AM »
They are full of shit because they justify the cost with some crap about it being a test of "dedication," as if financial ability is somehow a valid measure of dedication to fitness. If they want to make money then that's awesome, and I'm not disputing the value at all (and having never been there, I wouldn't be in a position to rate the quality of it anyway). Hell, if I had the time to use it then I could probably drop the money on it and I'd most likely not even feel ripped off, so that's not the issue. But their bullshit justification is just that, bullshit, and that gets to me.

Whatever though, it's late and I'm just going to keep ranting about this, so let's call it a day.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #863 on: March 05, 2010, 02:13:49 AM »
They are full of shit because they justify the cost with some crap about it being a test of "dedication," as if financial ability is somehow a valid measure of dedication to fitness. If they want to make money then that's awesome, and I'm not disputing the value at all (and having never been there, I wouldn't be in a position to rate the quality of it anyway). Hell, if I had the time to use it then I could probably drop the money on it and I'd most likely not even feel ripped off, so that's not the issue. But their bullshit justification is just that, bullshit, and that gets to me.

Whatever though, it's late and I'm just going to keep ranting about this, so let's call it a day.

Where on earth are you getting this from? I said NOTHING about dedication. I said nothing about it being a test. They charge that because that's what it costs to keep the lights on and pay trainers' salaries. Most Crossfit owners do it as a side-job....many support it from a military or police pension.
vjj

duckman2000

« Reply #864 on: March 05, 2010, 02:19:27 AM »
Where on earth are you getting this from? I said NOTHING about dedication. I said nothing about it being a test. They charge that because that's what it costs to keep the lights on and pay trainers' salaries. Most Crossfit owners do it as a side-job....many support it from a military or police pension.

I guess I misinterpreted your post (again, it's late), but I read it as a repeat of what the local crossfit place says to explain why the cost is as high as it is: not to make a buck or even cover the cost of facilities and equipment, but as a measure of dedication.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #865 on: March 05, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »

I guess I misinterpreted your post (again, it's late), but I read it as a repeat of what the local crossfit place says to explain why the cost is as high as it is: not to make a buck or even cover the cost of facilities and equipment, but as a measure of dedication.

Here's what I said: They don't want you coming in just to use the equipment. They want you going there for the training, the group camaraderie/motivational support, dietary advice, etc.

Those are all services that they provide. If you don't think that, plus the use of the facility, is worth $150, then ...fine. But no-one is trying to bullshit you - Crossfit is predicated on getting results that are 'observable, measurable, repeatable'. If folks don't see those results, I imagine they leave pretty fast.

I stress that I have no horse in this race. I don't go to a Crossfit gym - I can't!

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #866 on: March 05, 2010, 02:49:59 AM »
I guess I should stress the part about Crossfit being an open-source model. So it's inevitable that there will be considerable variation in both the quality of the facility, the quality of the trainers and their business methodologies. I'm certainly not here to apologize for any of them, but I have met 4 Crossfit facility owners and found them to be highly professional and 100% committed to their clients. They also tend to be pretty hardcore folks in general, and a lot of fun to be around. But I guess it's inevitable that there are some bandwagon-jumping shysters out there. Hopefully those aren't the kind of people you're running into, duckman. If that is really how they rationalize their fees, I find that pretty questionable I admit.
vjj

Draft

« Reply #867 on: March 05, 2010, 07:20:19 AM »
...anyway.

I understand what you're saying about the training and camaraderie. I'm just gonna keep squatting for another couple months at my $50 globogym.

Himu

« Reply #868 on: March 05, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Guess I'm gonna have to ditch my yogurt of choice because it has high fructose corn syrup. I knew it had it in there before, but I always ignored it because I like that yogurt so much.
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #869 on: March 05, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »
Now that I'm developing a little bit of stamina and some upper body strength, my father wants to train me to box. I don't know if I'm too keen on that.
PSP

Himu

« Reply #870 on: March 05, 2010, 10:30:37 AM »
I'd say go for it.
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #871 on: March 05, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
He thinks because of the way I disperse my weight, I'd be a natural, but boxing goes against my grain in a lot of ways.
PSP

duckman2000

« Reply #872 on: March 05, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
Guess I'm gonna have to ditch my yogurt of choice because it has high fructose corn syrup. I knew it had it in there before, but I always ignored it because I like that yogurt so much.

What brand is that? I pretty much just buy plain yogurt and add fresh berries and fruit to taste these days. Just make it a rare treat.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #873 on: March 05, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
I eat yogurt from work.  It comes with oats and strawberries in it.  It's so damn good.  I just eat it for the protein so I'm not even sure what kind brand it is or if it's bad :teehee

Himu

« Reply #874 on: March 05, 2010, 11:13:42 AM »
Some Dannon strawberry yogurt.

I try their Light and Fit yogurt, but sometimes that stuff gives me the shits.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #875 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:46 AM »
I eat yogurt from work.  It comes with oats and strawberries in it.  It's so damn good.  I just eat it for the protein so I'm not even sure what kind brand it is or if it's bad :teehee

Yeah I know. I love the stuff too much to care really, but now I'm being wary of what I put in more than ever these days...
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #876 on: March 05, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »
I know what you mean Himumu.  I think fish oil has been messing with my shits.  I've been shitting weird since I started taking it.

Also, I'm going to start drinking a couple glasses of milk a day.  I really don't care for milk unless it's with something (usually something sweet).  But I did some math and I haven't been getting as much protein as I should and I figured one of the easiest ways to make up for it is through milk.  I'll see if I can keep this up because I really don't want to use a protein supplement so I'm going to try to get more into my diet with protein instead.

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #877 on: March 05, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »
any of guys building muscle mass? what do eat before/after your workout?
zzz

Himu

« Reply #878 on: March 05, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
I know what you mean Himumu.  I think fish oil has been messing with my shits.  I've been shitting weird since I started taking it.

Also, I'm going to start drinking a couple glasses of milk a day.  I really don't care for milk unless it's with something (usually something sweet).  But I did some math and I haven't been getting as much protein as I should and I figured one of the easiest ways to make up for it is through milk.  I'll see if I can keep this up because I really don't want to use a protein supplement so I'm going to try to get more into my diet with protein instead.

I've been making it my goal to drink at least one glass of milk a day, and every time I do it I gag afterwards. White Milk tastes so bad.  :yuck

Also I think I'm becoming more and more lactose intolerant. I used to be able to eat yogurt a whole lot, but now I can't eat certain kinds or my stomach starts to growl instantly and I have to take a shit.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #879 on: March 05, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »

Peanut butter.
IYKYK

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #880 on: March 05, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »
i just noticed i left out two words wtf

this is happening to me a lot lately  :-\
zzz

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #881 on: March 05, 2010, 11:27:54 AM »
I don't eat anything before if I can help it.  It usually makes me feel funny during lifting and I don't perform as well.  After I generally drink a sugary drink, usually a juice of some sort.  It helps a lot with recovery.  I've been doing that for about two weeks and I've been noticing a difference.  Some people swear by it and other people say not to.  Then I usually eat a lot of protein afterwards.  Usually chicken or beef with beans or something.  That's been working pretty well for me.  I checked Sunday and I've gained about 12 pounds of muscle mass in 2 months or so.

duckman2000

« Reply #882 on: March 05, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »
White Milk tastes so bad.  :yuck

:wtf What other kinds are there?

Also lulz, did you guys see that damning report on fish oil supplements?

Himu

« Reply #883 on: March 05, 2010, 11:30:30 AM »
IYKYK

duckman2000

« Reply #884 on: March 05, 2010, 11:32:25 AM »
You're not buying the premixed shit, are you?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #885 on: March 05, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »
White Milk tastes so bad.  :yuck

:wtf What other kinds are there?

Also lulz, did you guys see that damning report on fish oil supplements?

spill it

duckman2000

« Reply #886 on: March 05, 2010, 11:41:36 AM »
It was on ABC news (I think, could have been some other news show)

http://www.alternet.org/health/145916/fish_oil_supplements_--_want_pcbs_with_that

Basically, eat real (fatty) fish

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But watch out for mercury in the most commonly available good, fatty fish. lulz
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #887 on: March 05, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »
son of a fucking bitch.  I hate most fish.

duckman2000

« Reply #888 on: March 05, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
You can always use flax seed oil instead. Not the same thing, but it's better than nothing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:56:16 AM by duckman2000 »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #889 on: March 05, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »
what in the hell is that??

cool breeze

« Reply #890 on: March 05, 2010, 11:57:16 AM »
ffs I just started to have fish oil too

does flax seed oil have the same benefits?

and is flounder a good fish to have? that's one of the few fish I enjoy

duckman2000

« Reply #891 on: March 05, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »

duckman2000

« Reply #892 on: March 05, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »
and is flounder a good fish to have? that's one of the few fish I enjoy

I think flounder is high in protein, but I think it's a low fat fish so you won't get the benefits like you would from fatty fish like mackerel. But then again, you probably won't have the risks either.

Man, we have really fucked up our habitat.  :lol

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #893 on: March 05, 2010, 12:01:10 PM »
The US is only the 4th largest producer?  Canada and China are the top two?  NO THANKS!

:P

I'm going to compare how expensive it is to fish oil supplements and see how many I'd need to take compared to them and then research brands that aren't being called out.  Thanks for all the info, dude! :)

cool breeze

« Reply #894 on: March 05, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
yeah, I'll probably buy flaxseed oil.  Most stores I visit have the Naturemade brand which was one of the ones flagged by that video  :lol  I think Trader Joes has a bunch, so I'll see what's good there.

I've already been having ground flaxseeds for the past few years, just not on a regular basis.

duckman2000

« Reply #895 on: March 05, 2010, 12:05:35 PM »
I buy the milled flax seed and mix it into yogurt and smoothies. Not as convenient as a capsule, but it makes a meal, and there aren't any suspicious binding agents involved. It will make you poop often and with a vengeance, though.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #896 on: March 05, 2010, 12:37:48 PM »
the brand of fish oil I have been taking is that naturemade shit :'(

« Reply #897 on: March 05, 2010, 01:01:56 PM »
We get big containers of fish oil pills at Costco. Not sure who makes them.
野球

Rman

« Reply #898 on: March 05, 2010, 01:08:22 PM »
Kirkland, I believe.

« Reply #899 on: March 05, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
Kirkland, I believe.

Kirkland is just Costco's store brand (and the name of the city they're based out of), someone else makes it for them.
野球