Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809703 times)

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #1860 on: January 18, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »
Just had two huge slices of deep dish Chicago pizza, a couple of cheese sticks, egg rolls, and some Jamabalaya with rice.  So good. 

Also, I had an extra large bowl of tonkotsu ramen with extra meat for lunch.  Seefood diet is the best!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1861 on: January 18, 2011, 10:55:49 PM »
Well, he's 300lbs-plus thanks to the seefood diet so...
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1862 on: January 18, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
Tell me about the Paleo diet.  From what I've read about it, some consider it worth-while, some consider it genius, while others think it's a fraud or a fad.  From what I've seen being recommended to Mups, it looks great, but I want to know some more ins and outs.

Until such time as you can get vegetables, you may as well forget about it.

Humor me.  I might just be willing to go out of my way to get this stuff.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
BTW, was that 300lbs-plus comment at me? Just wondering...
[close]
WTF

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1863 on: January 18, 2011, 11:06:32 PM »
190-195 lbs with a 33-36 vertical. :drake

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1864 on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:30 PM »
Tell me about the Paleo diet.  From what I've read about it, some consider it worth-while, some consider it genius, while others think it's a fraud or a fad.  From what I've seen being recommended to Mups, it looks great, but I want to know some more ins and outs.

Until such time as you can get vegetables, you may as well forget about it.

Humor me.  I might just be willing to go out of my way to get this stuff.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
BTW, was that 300lbs-plus comment at me? Just wondering...
[close]

It's all in the thread already, I'm not going through all this again with am nintenho or anything else. It's not that complicated.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1865 on: January 18, 2011, 11:30:18 PM »
Seriously though, I do wanna cut down on the fat since my knees feel a lot weaker than a few years before.  I don't even jump as often in hoops anymore because they hurt. 

I just haven't been able to work out due to a lingering flu for the last two couple of weeks and inactivity during the winter break.  Since I associate eating healthy with working out, I tend to gorge without restrain when I'm not actively working to get in shape.  Surprisingly, the last month of eating 3000 to 5000 of fatty, high carb calories seemed to have little impact on my weight.  My metabolism must have gone back to previous levels from the last 6 months of working out.  However, I'm pretty sure it'd go do again pretty soon if I don't start getting my butt in the gym again. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1866 on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »
In theory you have more muscle, so when you binge, you burn it faster.

Obviously if you keep not working out and binging on bad stuff, the muscle will diminish, get replaced with fat, and your weight will go up. I could certainly eat and drink all kinds of shit when I was working out, even if I was on an off week. I just wouldn't continue to improve body comp.

Awesome genetics - fine, whatever. Just cause Usain Bolt can break records on chicken nuggets doesn't mean I can.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1867 on: January 19, 2011, 12:58:49 AM »
It's all in the thread already, I'm not going through all this again with am nintenho or anything else. It's not that complicated.

I've went back and read it now.  Once again, I apologize for not following the Fitnessbore rules.   :lol

Honestly though, there really isn't a trick to it?  "Stay away from grains, shitty dairy, processed food, and fatty food.  Eat more fruit, veggies, and lean meat."  Is that it?
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1868 on: January 19, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Yes.

Except 'fatty food' is actually to be encouraged, as long as it is the right type of fat (i.e. olive oil poured over tomatoes or a grass-fed steak is fine. Breadcrumbed chicken deepfried in canola oil is not.).

It's only complicated because am nintenho won't STFU and give it a go instead of spouting the traditional lines of crap about low-fat grains being better for you than roast beef and broccoli. (And since you've gone back and read it, you'll have noticed how many times I've been over this ground already. I don't mean to be rude here but some of these points have been beaten to death already. Fitness and diet is only complicated because everyone is trying to make a buck off it, so people hear all this bizarre shit that doesn't work or even make sense).

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:50:07 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1869 on: January 19, 2011, 01:51:32 AM »
I've posted this before but if you want a reasonably detailed breakdown, this is very solid:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1870 on: January 19, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »
Thanks!
WTF

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1871 on: January 22, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
Good luck on the 9k!  Let us know how it turns out.

Went to the grocery store yesterday.  I finally talked my wife into trying to go sub-Paleo.  The "sub" part stands for doing everything except we're still going to have 1-2 servings of dairy and 1-2 servings of grains a day.  They're going to be the healthiest dairy and grains possible though.  This was on recommendation from my nutritionist, who said the diet was otherwise perfect!  The part that I'm most excited about is making salads with homemade dressings.  I've never tried making my own salad dressing before, but I look forward to the challenge. 

Also found a friend at work who wanted to start working along side of me to track his fitness and nutrition.  We started a small blog together about what we're doing and what we're trying.  I think it will be a lot of fun.

tl:dr version: got healthy food, started blog
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1872 on: January 22, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
Salad dressings are incredibly easy - once you make your own once, you'll never buy Thousand Island or whatever again. Just put some olive oil in a small dish, add some salt and pepper, bit of wine vinegar or balsamico and you're done. Do it to taste - add a bit at a time. There are a million variations of course but the above is really all you need to start.

Your nutritionist is wrong about the grains (ask him/her what exactly you need them for now that you're eating vegetables and watch him/her stutter, should be fun) but sounds like you're making a good start.
vjj

« Reply #1873 on: January 22, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
Finally let go of some dead weight at the gym.

This 50-year-old bubbly gym rat was under the mistaken impression she was a workout buddy of mine. It was cute at first having her follow me around, trying to keep up, but after a while it was apparent that she was attempting to enhance her social status in the gym by clinging on to someone like me.

But the truth of the matter is, I was more pissed off at the fact that weaker, uglier dudes in the gym had hotter workout buddies, while I was stuck with the annoying old hag. I haven’t busted my ass for 6 years in the gym only to have some loudmouth senior citizen with a potbelly shine off my spotlight. I deserve better. Today, she approached me as soon as she spotted me warming up for dips, and asked what “we” were doing today. I didn’t even respond, and set my back to her the whole way before her decrepit ass got the hint and buzzed off. So now I’m solo again with no distractions, and I couldn’t be happier.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1874 on: January 22, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »
Finally let go of some dead weight at the gym.

This 50-year-old bubbly gym rat was under the mistaken impression she was a workout buddy of mine. It was cute at first having her follow me around, trying to keep up, but after a while it was apparent that she was attempting to enhance her social status in the gym by clinging on to someone like me.

But the truth of the matter is, I was more pissed off at the fact that weaker, uglier dudes in the gym had hotter workout buddies, while I was stuck with the annoying old hag. I haven’t busted my ass for 6 years in the gym only to have some loudmouth senior citizen with a potbelly shine off my spotlight. I deserve better. Today, she approached me as soon as she spotted me warming up for dips, and asked what “we” were doing today. I didn’t even respond, and set my back to her the whole way before her decrepit ass got the hint and buzzed off. So now I’m solo again with no distractions, and I couldn’t be happier.

:rofl

Quoting this for posterity before you delete
vjj

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #1875 on: January 22, 2011, 09:30:50 PM »

All the stuff about the way you were raised etc earns you no sympathy. I'm Irish, and I quit potatoes and bread, you can live without fucking tortillas :lol I hear that crap all the time from Japanese people. Eating rice is the heart of our 'food culture', we can't give it up! Bullshit. It's an accident of geography that makes rice about the only damn thing that grows well over here (very little land suitable for grazing, too hilly so not much livestock). You may have been eating it for 2,000 years as a people but that's an eyeblink in evolutionary terms. A Japanese person is no more genetically suited to eating rice than you or I. I have no special ability to digest potatoes.

Certain peoples developed the much coveted lactose tolerance in a similar timeframe. So I disagree that different races are somehow uniformly affected by the same foodstuffs.
sad

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1876 on: January 22, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »
Well, I'd imagine lactose is somewhat of a special situation, since we are mostly all capable of digesting it without problems for a few years. Lactose tolerance is just an extension of that capability into adulthood. We're not developing any new digestive capabilities here, like we'd have to do to digest grains properly.
vjj

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1877 on: January 22, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »
If you look at the size of our gut and cecum, it's clear that we do have a large part of our digestive system dedicated towards grains, even compared to most other omnivores who are really just carnivores that can just eat plants if they really need to.  I wouldn't necessarily consider lactose tolerance a small evolution, having that high lactase activity after infancy is something totally useless to any other animal.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1878 on: January 22, 2011, 10:19:18 PM »
Are you suggesting that evolution anticipated the invention of grain harvesting?
vjj

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1879 on: January 22, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »
No, I'm saying that our digestive system is well designed for a herbivore diet with regards to processing complex carbs in our moderately sized cecum and the size of the intestine (right between carnivore and herbivore ratios) allowing for better absorption of plant nutrients.

As far as caloric ratio goes, I'm pretty convinced that the body needs a moderate balance of meat and plant calories.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1880 on: January 22, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »
Bullshit. In evolutionary terms, we've been moving away from a longer gut. Primates have much longer guts, reflecting their more fibrous diet. The best explanation we have for the appendix is that is a vestigial organ for digesting plant tissue that has withered away over the millenia. The only reason we can digest complex carbs at all is the amount of processing and cooking we do to them. Try eating a plate of raw corn sometime and tell me how well designed your gut (and teeth!) are for the process.
vjj

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1881 on: January 22, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »
I'm not talking about the appendix.  I'm talking about the cecum that is attached to it and holds the bacteria that ferment complex carbohydrates.  The activity of these bacteria in a modern, "processed" diet is observed, not with regards to large cellulose molecules but with small chain oligosaccharides.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1882 on: January 23, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »
I mention the appendix only as an example of the direction our digestive system has been headed.

Please don't equate the modern 'processed' diet in your last post to the 'herbivore' diet in the preceding one. There is no comparison between eating grass + leaves and eating sugar and bread. I am not suggesting that no digestion occurs; obviously, it does. I'm saying that we're not very good at it, and over time it makes us sick.

welcome back to ignore!
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1883 on: January 23, 2011, 12:12:55 PM »
You're right.  I'm sorry I asked!
WTF

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1884 on: January 23, 2011, 05:13:11 PM »
most other omnivores who are really just carnivores that can just eat plants if they really need to. 

Wait, what? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear#Diet_and_interspecific_interactions

"Their carnivorous reputation non-withstanding, most bears have adopted a diet of more plant than animal matter and are completely opportunistic omnivores"
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1885 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:12 PM »
You're approaching the event horizon, Boogie! Get out while you can!
vjj

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1886 on: January 24, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »
most other omnivores who are really just carnivores that can just eat plants if they really need to. 
Wait, what? 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear#Diet_and_interspecific_interactions
"Their carnivorous reputation non-withstanding, most bears have adopted a diet of more plant than animal matter and are completely opportunistic omnivores"
Yeah that's one group of omnivores and they can vary from having nearly all meat like  polar bears or nearly exclusively herbivorous like koala bears or grizzlies.  But I was talking about all omnivorous animals.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #1887 on: January 24, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
Koalas aren't really bears...
sad

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1888 on: January 24, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
But I was talking about all omnivorous animals.

Yeah, but if you even look at the wikipedia entry for "omnivore", what you wrote still looks distinguished mentally-challenged.
MMA

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1889 on: January 24, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
Koalas aren't really bears...
I was thinking of panda bears, I always confuse those two for some reason.

But I was talking about all omnivorous animals.

Yeah, but if you even look at the wikipedia entry for "omnivore", what you wrote still looks distinguished mentally-challenged.

Do you mind pointing it out?  Like the bear link, it only gives a few specific examples of both sides of the omnivore spectrum.  It's a pretty short and generalized article.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1890 on: January 24, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
what just happened in here oh god
duc

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #1891 on: January 24, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »
Pandas aren't really bears either....

edit: Or maybe they are. Seems there is some dispute about this.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:02:57 PM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1892 on: January 25, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Just here for the bears
fat

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1893 on: January 25, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Who gives a fuck about a bunch of fucking bears?  Get back on topic.

I beat my target run time by 3 and a half minutes :rock

Well done, sir!
WTF

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1894 on: January 25, 2011, 11:29:06 PM »
First jiu-jitsu class in three weeks.

I love the pain...
MMA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1895 on: January 26, 2011, 10:11:24 AM »

I love the pain...

You break a new Canada stereotype for me every day! :rock
WTF

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1896 on: January 26, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »

I love the pain...

Uh, what stereotype was that?
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1897 on: January 26, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »

I love the pain...

'Canadians don't know about horse-mounted jiu-jitsu'
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1898 on: January 27, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »

I love the pain...

'Canadians don't know about horse-mounted jiu-jitsu'

Of course... that's what I meant.
WTF

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #1899 on: January 29, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
Cutting massive ice chunks from a roof with an axe is the new hot fitness trend :rock

« Reply #1900 on: January 29, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »
Today was my one-max rep day and I totally fucked my warm up sets. What did I do wrong?

Warm-up 1: Just the bar (10 reps)
Warm-up 2: 135 (10 reps)
Warm-up 3: 185 (7 reps)
Warm-up 4: 225 (5 reps)
Warm-up 5: 275 (3 reps)
Warm-up 6: 295 (1 rep)
Warm-up 7: 315 (1 rep)
1 Max Rep: 335 (failure, 0 reps)

What the fuck? I can hit 275 for 7 reps, and 265 for 9/10. I shouldn't have struggled with 315 and I sure as hell shouldn't have failed miserably on 335.

Poor warm-ups?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1901 on: January 29, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »
vids or it didn't happen.
MMA

« Reply #1902 on: January 29, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
vids or it didn't happen.

Fuck you and the vids.

Not my problem you think those weights are outside the realm of possibility due to your limited exposure to the gym. I bet you also think hitting 3x5 dips with 3 plates is impossible, too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:08:12 PM by Nintendosbooger »

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #1903 on: January 29, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
Ever notice you tend to be confrontational?  But then again you seem to detail us your adventures in passive aggressivism.  Make up your mind!
sad

« Reply #1904 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:57 PM »
Ever notice you tend to be confrontational?  But then again you seem to detail us your adventures in passive aggressivism.  Make up your mind!

'Cause this place is congested with miserable haters.

I post a thread about some BS that happens outside of my home, and I get accused of trolling or making shit up (I posted photos, and they STFU). I ask a simple question from the experts here, hoping to get a nugget of information, and now I'm a fabricator unless I present some videos of myself in the weight room (like I'm ever going to do that).

Why can't I just get some simple fucking answers from people here?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1905 on: January 29, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »
Today was my one-max rep day and I totally fucked my warm up sets. What did I do wrong?

What the fuck? I can hit 275 for 7 reps, and 265 for 9/10. I shouldn't have struggled with 315 and I sure as hell shouldn't have failed miserably on 335.

Poor warm-ups?

Far too many warm-ups, I'd say. That isn't warming-up; it's practicing.

On a 1 rep max day, I pretty much go something like this:

bar only for 5 reps

80% or so of target weight -1x

90% or so of target weight -1x

then do the 1 rep max. If you are comfortable with the technique, and you are warmed up already (which can be as easily accomplished by running a bit or doing some non-stressful bodyweight stuff), all you are doing is wearing yourself out by doing all those warm-ups.

vjj

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #1906 on: January 29, 2011, 11:18:02 PM »
This is a sausagefest forum.  Guys tend to be assholes because it is funny.  Don't be mad at the y chromosome, embrace it.
sad

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1907 on: January 29, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »

Fuck you and the vids.

Not my problem you think those weights are outside the realm of possibility due to your limited exposure to the gym. I bet you also think hitting 3x5 dips with 3 plates is impossible, too.

"limited exposure to the gym"  :rofl

I'll never be one to claim to put up exceptional numbers in the gym.

My athletic focus has always been on training to be able kick people's asses.

Even though you are almost assuredly full of shit on your numbers, due to your history, I will gladly say that you can outlift me.  As can several on this forum.

The only claim I would make is that I could kick your ass.  :)
MMA

« Reply #1908 on: January 29, 2011, 11:20:32 PM »

Poor warm-ups?

bar only for 5 reps

then do the 1 rep max. If you are comfortable with the technique, and you are warmed up already (which can be as easily accomplished by running a bit or doing some non-stressful bodyweight stuff), all you are doing is wearing yourself out by doing all those warm-ups.

Wait, you're saying I should go from doing just the bar straight to 80%? Are you nuts?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1909 on: January 29, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »

Poor warm-ups?

bar only for 5 reps

Wait, you're saying I should go from doing just the bar straight to 80%? Are you nuts?

and now he's calling Cormac's advice "nuts"

:rofl :rofl :rofl
MMA

« Reply #1910 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:20 PM »

Fuck you and the vids.

"limited exposure to the gym"  :rofl

I'll never be one to claim to put up exceptional numbers in the gym.

My athletic focus has always been on training to be able kick people's asses.

Even though you are almost assuredly full of shit on your numbers
, due to your history, I will gladly say that you can outlift me.  As can several on this forum.

The only claim I would make is that I could kick your ass.  :)

Dude, you're stroking my ego and don't even know it.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1911 on: January 29, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »

Dude, you're stroking my ego and don't even know it.

Everything strokes your ego except being ignored.
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1912 on: January 29, 2011, 11:29:02 PM »
why wouldn't you go straight from the bar to 80%? If you are worried about not being able to lift 80%, you haven't a prayer of hitting 100%. In my experience, it's a lot easier to give 100% when you have 100% left to give.

If you don't believe me, ask Mark Rippetoe etc. People overdo warm-ups because they want to put off the hard lift as long as possible, which is basic human nature. It actually hurts your chances of making the lift though - which should be apparent to anyone who has ever lifted.
vjj

« Reply #1913 on: January 29, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »
why wouldn't you go straight from the bar to 80%? If you are worried about not being able to lift 80%, you haven't a prayer of hitting 100%. In my experience, it's a lot easier to give 100% when you have 100% left to give.

If you don't believe me, ask Mark Rippetoe etc. People overdo warm-ups because they want to put off the hard lift as long as possible, which is basic human nature. It actually hurts your chances of making the lift though - which should be apparent to anyone who has ever lifted.

Because you could risk injury. Rippetoe (and I have both Starting Strength and the Strength Programming book) dismissed the pyramid method, not multiple warm ups. I don't even touch 225 unless I warm up adequately before hand.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:04:57 AM by Nintendosbooger »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1914 on: January 30, 2011, 12:21:15 AM »
blah blah blah

RNC in 30 seconds

blah blah blah
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1915 on: January 30, 2011, 12:33:17 AM »
You could risk injury any time you touch the bar, or do anything. I do a full bodyweight warm-up (pull-ups, push-ups, squats, stuff like that) before I even touch a bar so the joints are warmed, which is literally all a warm-up does. The warm-up lifts are just to prime the CNS for a heavy load, but there really is no way to adequately prepare for a 1RM. And if you are fatigued, you mess up any chance of making the 1RM, which is literally the only lift that is important for that day. 

Note the last 4-5 lines of that page. If you don't want to do it the way I do it, that's fine. I have reasonable confidence in my technique and methods, and like to be done inside 30mins in the gym because I'm lazy. But 7 warm-up sets at those volumes is waaaaay too much. At least cut it back to 3 sets of no more than 3-5, at like 60%, 80%, 90%. (I would go 5x, 1x, 1x at those %s myself but whatever you think best.) Just write down your results and change it up if it doesn't work.

Alternatively, look for some other explanation. Tired? Hungry? Injured? Technique slipping?
vjj

« Reply #1916 on: January 30, 2011, 12:40:43 AM »
You could risk injury any time you touch the bar, or do anything. I do a full bodyweight warm-up (pull-ups, push-ups, squats, stuff like that) before I even touch a bar so the joints are warmed, which is literally all a warm-up does. The warm-up lifts are just to prime the CNS for a heavy load, but there really is no way to adequately prepare for a 1RM. And if you are fatigued, you mess up any chance of making the 1RM, which is literally the only lift that is important for that day. 

Note the last 4-5 lines of that page. If you don't want to do it the way I do it, that's fine. I have reasonable confidence in my technique and methods, and like to be done inside 30mins in the gym because I'm lazy. But 7 warm-up sets at those volumes is waaaaay too much. At least cut it back to 3 sets of no more than 3-5, at like 60%, 80%, 90%. (I would go 5x, 1x, 1x at those %s myself but whatever you think best.) Just write down your results and change it up if it doesn't work.

Alternatively, look for some other explanation. Tired? Hungry? Injured? Technique slipping?

The books do not go into heavy detail regarding the one-rep max, including (and perhaps more importantly) the required minutes of rest in between each set. I think as you approach your one-rep-max, your time of rest should gradually increase, but I'm not sure.

I don't think diet is an issue, as I consumed enough carbs, whey protein, EAS creatine, and a pre-workout drink (1 MR) right before going to the gym.

But I'm willing to concede that 7 warm up sets is a lot, since I've yet to read anywhere in the books or from any reputable article illustrating warm-ups that go that much. It's usually 3-5.

I'll experiment with that and see how it goes, but it won't be for another month at least.

However, you need to be careful with your technique because you can fuck up your shoulder. Jumping from a 45-lb bar to something exponentially heavier will shock your muscles and hurt you in the long run. I'd recommend that you read some of the warm up pages in those book and in articles on bodybuilding.com.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:45:20 AM by Nintendosbooger »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1917 on: January 30, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »
My shoulder? I don't bench btw, I only really deadlift and squat.

Rip just doesn't like 1RMs period - he'll never give out a rep scheme or anything because he doesn't want people doing less then 3 reps. He used to compete of course, so he's being a bit hypocritical there. They are fun to do once every couple of months, just for the ego.

btw, you call that a diet? Jeez, try eating some actual FOOD once in a while, see how you do on that.
vjj

« Reply #1918 on: January 30, 2011, 12:57:25 AM »
My shoulder? I don't bench btw, I only really deadlift and squat.

Rip just doesn't like 1RMs period - he'll never give out a rep scheme or anything because he doesn't want people doing less then 3 reps. He used to compete of course, so he's being a bit hypocritical there. They are fun to do once every couple of months, just for the ego.

btw, you call that a diet? Jeez, try eating some actual FOOD once in a while, see how you do on that.

That isn't my regular diet. That is just what I consume before I hit the gym in preparation for my workout.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1919 on: January 30, 2011, 12:59:27 AM »
Even so. I wouldn't eat that stuff with a gun to my head.
vjj