Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809869 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #2220 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:40 AM »
I gotta agree with Cormac.  Bench press is my favorite exercise by far, but if you're worried about form and having a spotter, you should skip.  It's easy to get an injury unless someone is teaching you to do it correctly and actively correcting you and it's also the last exercise you want to do by yourself if you're not comfortable with.  Having heavy weight stuck on your chest is scary as hell (especially with collars on) and it WILL happen especially if you are starting out.  Get more comfortable doing bench press with someone who is experienced before starting it on your own.

Also, deadlift form is very critical, but quite easy to get right. 

Edit: However, if you're still interested, here is a great link

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-press-with-proper-technique-avoid-shoulder-injuries/

If you're looking for a good replacement that is good to do on your own, forward dips work the chest and tris great.  You can also supplement with some pushups until you get more comfortable with your form for BP.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:08:22 AM by Mupepe »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2221 on: April 13, 2011, 12:08:43 AM »
A digression: this thread has been 52 pages, and I'm STILL telling people not to bench so much :fbm
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2222 on: April 13, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »
Benching is fun though!  I know there are more effective exercises and it's a strain on your front shoulders, wrists... hell everything.  But it feels so good!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2223 on: April 13, 2011, 12:16:31 AM »
it's not because you want big guns OH NO
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2224 on: April 13, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »
Not really!  Dips and curls are for that!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's for a big chest  :P
[close]

Beezy

« Reply #2225 on: April 13, 2011, 12:49:07 AM »
Smh, I wish I had a gym partner who already knew all this shit. I'll try the shoulder presses tomorrow. I'm afraid to mess with squats or deadlifts.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2226 on: April 13, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »
Just look for the strongest guy in the guy, Beezy ;)
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #2227 on: April 13, 2011, 01:40:40 AM »
Just look for the strongest guy in the guy, Beezy ;)
:hump ?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2228 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:16 AM »
oops, guy in the gym of course
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2229 on: April 13, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »
Speaking of squats and deadlifts, I wanted to mention this.

When I do a squat with weights dumbbells (I don't use the bar because I don't have a spotter or a rack to pull it from, and I'm sure as hell not going to use the Smith machine for it) I know there are several forms to do it in, and some are better than others.  The one I was taught to do was this:

But I find that I have a hard time because of the size of my (fat) thighs and legs that it is really uncomfortable when I do the squat and I can't seem to get as low as I should.  Recently, I noticed a different squat style with a dumbbell that I've tried and is much more comfortable, but I don't have the opportunity to use as much weight with it.  Is this one any better?

As far as deadlifts go, the only instruction that I've seen on them is the Youtube video from Mark Ripptoe.  He's the only one that hasn't seemed to gain a lot of criticism for his form and what he teaches.  When I try doing it how he teaches, it's still extremely uncomfortable, and I'm terrified that I'm using too much lower back and not enough thighs/legs when I'm doing the lift.

HELP ME PLEASE?
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2230 on: April 13, 2011, 09:20:38 AM »
See the comments to Skidmark on Oly squat form (high bar) vs Rippetoe low bar position.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #2231 on: April 13, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »
Yeah... I'm going tomorrow instead. So sore :'(

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2232 on: April 13, 2011, 11:44:04 AM »
See the comments to Skidmark on Oly squat form (high bar) vs Rippetoe low bar position.

But I don't have a rack.  The gym I use is extremely small and they have an Oly bar, but no rack to hang it on. 

To better explain, the gym is owned by a local Chiropractor and the County Attorney.  They provide access to the gym for their members 24/7 365.  Access is by electronic key only, and there are no "staff" members for the gym.  The only "staff" is the one that works at the Chiropractor's office next door during normal business hours.  A couple of ladies get paid extra to clean the gym and set up new members.

I know it's rinky-dink, but it's local and it's really cheap.  I think that it would probably be a liability for them to put a free rack in there without staff members to double as emergency spotters.  Every other piece of equipment they have in there is either machine, or there is no way to trap somebody in/on it (i.e. dumbbells).  So a person could still get hurt, but it's unlikely anyone could be killed.  From a legal standpoint.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2233 on: April 13, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »
Who is saying you need a rack? Look at the pic I posted. It shows you exactly what the difference is between those forms, and the link explains why. Why does everyone write a thousand words of excuses for every hundred they are prepared to read?
vjj

Skidmark

« Reply #2234 on: April 13, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »
I just saw your pics andrw, good job!
just a question, what kind of workout are you doing? My friend is a bit overweight and is trying to burn fat but his knees hurt from running, sometimes from walking too. Is there anything else besides running, walking, swimming etc..?

Skidmark

« Reply #2235 on: April 13, 2011, 09:18:36 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2236 on: April 14, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
I just saw your pics andrw, good job!
just a question, what kind of workout are you doing? My friend is a bit overweight and is trying to burn fat but his knees hurt from running, sometimes from walking too. Is there anything else besides running, walking, swimming etc..?

I've been on Primal Blueprint/Paleo dieting since January-ish.  As far as my workouts go, when I go to the gym now, I don't worry too much about cardio when I get in the gym as much as I focus on strength training.  I'm doing 3-5 hours of low impact cardio outside of the gym a week now.  You might have him look into doing it that way as low impact in and of itself is much easier even over that amount of time vs. 1-2 hours of high intensity cardio.

When I go to the gym now, I'm doing a 3-5 minute warmup on the elliptical at just enough of a pace to get some light sweat forming on my head.  After that, I do 30 bench presses, 30 lateral bar pull-downs, 30 squats, and 3-30 second sets of planks.  I don't worry about isolation exercises because they're not worthwhile to me, and they won't be to him because there's really no point in toning one specific muscle when they all need equal amounts of work.  Any of those exercises, including the plank, can be modified to be easier for him.  If he's not at the gym, those easily translate to bodyweight pushups, pullups, squats, and planks, which can all be modified to be easier at home too.

If your friend has a gym membership, have him get in there on an elliptical.  After he adjusts to the movement the first few times, he'll feel great and it will give him a full body workout with little to no strain on the knees and ankles.  Like I said, it's hard to get used to the movement, because it is so different from walking/jogging, but it's worth the adjustment.  He could also try a rowing machine or a stationary bike.  Stair-steppers are okay, but they can cause a burning sensation in the joints after a couple of minutes.

If he doesn't have a membership, tell him that walking should be fine.  Any movement is going to built strength in those joints and it will become easier by the day.  Something I learned from the guys here was to take it to the grass.  It's much more forgiving than pavement/concrete/blacktop/ect so the joints don't take as much as a beating.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2237 on: April 14, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »
Skidmark -

Not to beat a dead horse here, but if your friend wants to lose weight, he needs to change his diet. DIET, DIET, DIET.

The preponderance of evidence suggests that exercise just makes people hungrier - on average, people eat 100 calories more than they would normally eat after working out, over and above the extra calories burned in the workout. The only way to beat that cycle is skipping meals or swapping water for food, which is very tough to do consistently for prolonged periods. So you can do it for a few weeks to squeeze into your wedding tux. But you haven't got much hope of dropping 150-200lbs that way.

The reason to do exercise if you're obese is more to do with quality of life. If you top 300lbs, you are not going to be able to do very much unless you become exceptionally strong and fit (which is quite possible). Given that losing weight in that kind of amount is going to take time, you should at least develop the kind of body that can carry it without too much strain so you can work and play normally. These things are key to mental health as well, and will help no end with motivation in sticking to your diet.

But as far as actually losing weight? DIET.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2238 on: April 14, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
Skidmark - Better than I was expecting, from what you said. Good depth, back is solid, and the knees look OK from that angle (although wobbly). You are lifting 'high bar' style though, which I doubt is what stronglifts teaches for strength gains. High bar is really for Oly training since it leads to a more upright position which develops the quads more. It's also the way pretty much everyone picks up the bar at first, so don't sweat it. You are not a freak for naturally wanting to lift this way. At your weights, it doesn't make that much difference. But since damn near everyone squats for the nominal purpose of pure strength, I think everyone should be squatting 'low bar' style. I find it a much more secure position to lift from, although it will take a while to get used to it. Your arms lock the bar onto your upper back so firmly that you don't even need to use your hands to grip the bar (I don't). Once you do, you'll never go back.

Here is what you're doing, and what I think you should be aiming for ( (2) and (3) respectively - edit: oops):
(Image removed from quote.)

Stuff on work on:
- Get your wrists forward, not bent backward.
- Neck straight - you can keep your chest up without craning your neck and head backward.
- Pick a spot on the ground about 6 feet in front of you and focus on it.
- Pick up the bar in the middle :lol
- Go down faster - nothing to be gained by doing the eccentric portion of the lift slowly. You need the bounce that comes with rapid contraction at the bottom once the weight goes up.
- Hard to tell from the video, but you don't seem to be breathing right. You need to be holding a big breath to get the chest up and the core tight throughout the movement. This is something that will probably sort itself out once you go heavier, but get used to it now. Breathe at the top. DO NOT breathe out at the bottom.
- And don't lift in your socks on a polished wood floor! Do I have to spell it out :lol

I don't need to tell you that at heavier weights even 1 or 2cm of deviation from the middle of the bar is going to fuck you up big-time so get used to finding your spot now. Part of your problem is that you are not getting under the bar at standing height, but I guess there is nothing you can do about that for now.

Plenty more detail here if you want:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

Okay, I'm thinking this is the post you're talking about Cormac.  There's nowhere on here that talks about getting that bar up on my back without a rack to get under.  I don't think I'm supposed to try and lift the bar from the ground straight up and over my head to my shoulders then start the squat.   :lol

I don't disagree that low bar is better than high bar, it's easy to see just from looking at it for safety purposes.  I just don't have a way to get ANY bar up on my shoulders at my gym, unless I go to the Smith machine, which is just not the same.  Do you see what I'm saying?

Skidmark - I agree with what he's saying about diet BTW.  Not to sound like a Mark Sisson hound, but it's definitely 80% diet and 20% exercise to lose and maintain healthy weight.
WTF

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2239 on: April 14, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »
I got this:

But no this:

If I'm missing something about getting that bar up there, weights and all, without the second part of that equation, tell me how.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2240 on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:16 AM »
I'm aware, thanks to your pics, that you are using dumbells, not a barbell.

I was trying to avoid a huge post back there as I was posting from my phone. But evidently I have to explain!

The pics you posted with the DBs AND the pic I posted show two different squat forms. Oly style and low bar style. (To be technical, the squat with dumbells is actually a 'suitcase deadlift' but that's only a function of where the weight is carried, not the way you squat.)

Now, you basically asked which is better. My post above explains which is preferred for pure strength training. All you have to do is read again, compare the pics and you'll be able to figure it all out! 

(btw, OF COURSE you can squat without a rack. You just have to clean the barbell from the ground and press it over your shoulders first. I did this a lot when starting out. Try it! You will still be able to squat more on a barbell than you will with your current method with dumbells I bet).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:22:08 AM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2241 on: April 14, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
Btw, there is nothing wrong with some Oly-style squatting once in a while. Great for the quads. I love cleans and jerks and front squats and everybody should do them. But there is typically very little interest in them here so I don't talk about them much.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2242 on: April 14, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
I'm aware, thanks to your pics, that you are using dumbells, not a barbell.

I was trying to avoid a huge post back there as I was posting from my phone. But evidently I have to explain!

The pics you posted with the DBs AND the pic I posted show two different squat forms. Oly style and low bar style. (To be technical, the squat with dumbells is actually a 'suitcase deadlift' but that's only a function of where the weight is carried, not the way you squat.)

Now, you basically asked which is better. My post above explains which is preferred for pure strength training. All you have to do is read again, compare the pics and you'll be able to figure it all out! 

(btw, OF COURSE you can squat without a rack. You just have to clean the barbell from the ground and press it over your shoulders first. I did this a lot when starting out. Try it! You will still be able to squat more on a barbell than you will with your current method with dumbells I bet).

You know, I've got a thick skull sometimes.  For some reason, the idea of doing a clean and press hadn't occurred to me.  This might be the start of a new routine for me.  I'm going to have to see how I like it first, but I'm going to give a try to doing a clean and press and add a squat in there.  Talk about efficient!
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2243 on: April 14, 2011, 12:00:02 PM »
I've posted this before but it's a great workout, and just one example of a barbell complex:

[youtube=560,345]0WOP9J7QPwI[/youtube]

(the dude on the left was one of the trainers I met at the Crossfit cert in Okinawa a while back, btw, awesome guy.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:01:37 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2244 on: April 15, 2011, 04:52:08 AM »
So, for shits and giggles, I tried that one out tonight...

Bad idea.   :lol

I didn't hurt myself, but I certainly looked like a fool.  I did manage to get in 15 squats once I mounted the bar up there, but it was just so damned uncomfortable.

Also, I took the Primal Blueprint fitness challenge while I was at the gym tonight.  It was nice and quiet as I was the only one there, and it gave me a chance to focus on what I was doing.  I didn't do as well as I thought I would, but I'm certainly not as bad as some might be at my weight. 

I'm going to start trying the PB LHT workout when I'm at home and I can't get to the gym on certain days.  I've just got to figure out a solution to a pullup bar.  I might end up having to make one, b/c I'm not comfortable using one of those door-mount systems.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2245 on: April 15, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »
Why not? What weight are you at? I used one at 280 years ago and my buddy who is just starting and well over 300 has been doing negatives on one with no problem.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2246 on: April 15, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
I'm at 350+/- right now and it's more of a concern for the door frames.  I live in a house that was converted from an old mobile home back in the 70's.  This house has parts that are made really cheap.  When I move (not for a few months), it won't be a problem then.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2247 on: April 15, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
ah, ok.  Gotcha. 

I lost another lb or two this week.  Couldn't tell this morning, the scale kept going between the two.  Oh well.  My official weekly weigh in isn't til tomorrow.  So maybe with a big shit tomorrow morning it'll be 2 or 3.  Not bad considering I didn't lift this last week.  Starting again today.  Took a scheduled recovery and man it felt good.  Ready to get back in and kick ass.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2248 on: April 15, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »
Any progress is still progress man!  Keep up the good work!
WTF

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2249 on: April 16, 2011, 09:57:28 AM »
So I'm curious to see what my FitnessBore bros (are there any ladies in this one?) think about physiques?  More importantly, which one do you think is the best?

For examples, I found this slightly crude chart that actually portrays each pretty well.  But it's really big, so I'm not going to post the image here.

http://www.themusclecouple.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Male-Physiques1.jpg

The only reason I ask is that people are asking me what I'm going for in terms of build type.  I just tell them healthy for now, but the thought has crossed my mind.

WTF

cool breeze

« Reply #2250 on: April 16, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
If you're losing a lot of weight, I don't think it's even possible to hit some of those, like the ottermode one.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2251 on: April 16, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »
It's not.  That guy has an ectomorph body type, andrwfields is an endomorph.  Got to work with what God gave you.

Well... yeah...

I wasn't expecting to hit ottermode or anything.  Other than that, along with skinny and skinny fat, and possibly the ripped/athletic look, all of the rest of those are possible to a certain extent.  I would assume that the rest of those would be attainable according to the exercise you do.

Look at how many people in this world lose weight.  Depending on how they lost it, they can end up with a many variety of body types.  I know a guy who weighed more than I started out at and now he's 170 lbs lighter and has the "built" body type.  It's all because he started lifting weights strongman style.  Where as a lot of those people that do The Biggest Loser mostly get the builtfat or the chubbyfat look.  How often do you see them lifting weights?

I know weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, but I think some of those might be possible by upping the anti on the exercise portion or by focusing it in certain directions.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2252 on: April 16, 2011, 09:58:19 PM »
It's definitely possible to get to some of the muscular body types. Plenty of people on bodybuilding.com post before and after pics that are crazy.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2253 on: April 16, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »
Lose the fat first. What you look like is utterly unimportant relative to prolonging your life. Trying to gain muscle while losing fat is certainly possible, but it's much harder than just losing fat.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2254 on: April 18, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
Plenty of people on bodybuilding.com are on steroids and don't have full-time jobs.  All I'm saying is don't set unrealistic goals or you'll only be disappointed. 
Well yeah, I'm not saying the results or typical or easy, just that it can be done which is what I assumed he was talking about. 

Anyways, got a new picture from over the weekend.  I'm at 29 lbs down over the last 6 weeks or so.  Hopefully over the next two months or so I can lose another 20-30.

Don't be too harsh, I was tired!...

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2255 on: April 18, 2011, 03:46:10 PM »
Looking good Mups!

I had my weekly weigh-in last night.  I'm .6 lbs away from having lost 50 lbs since October!  :punch
WTF

Skidmark

« Reply #2256 on: April 18, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
Sorry for the offtopic but this was hilarious  :lol
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2257 on: April 19, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »
Looking good Mups!

I had my weekly weigh-in last night.  I'm .6 lbs away from having lost 50 lbs since October!  :punch
Thanks dude! And congrats! You're one big crap away from 50 lbs! Good job dude!

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2258 on: April 19, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »
Looking good Mups!

Thanks dude! And congrats! You're one big crap away from 50 lbs! Good job dude!

:lol  When I weighed in that night, I was working at the hospital. (I use the same scale every week so as not to get varied results).  The physician working that night was a tiny little Korean woman who never really says anything too remarkable, and she overheard me say that I was .6 lbs away from losing 50 lbs.  She looked at me and said, "You should have went and took a big dump and then re-weighed yourself!" :lol

WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2259 on: April 19, 2011, 12:31:41 PM »
hahaha  that's why I always make sure to take a dump before I weigh myself saturday morning.  and I always do it in the mornings when I've pissed out all the water, taken a crap and a lot of my food has digested.  I can easily be like 6-8 lbs heavier at night after drinking a gallon and a half of water a day and eating 300 grams of protein.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2260 on: April 20, 2011, 05:29:40 PM »
I've added Overhead Presses to my gym routine now and I really like it.  My routine is now bench presses (I know, Cormac.  I know), Lateral Bar Pulls, Squats with weights, Planks, and Overhead Presses.  It's basically the same routine as in Primal Blueprint Fitness, but all with weights.  It's nice because on workout days that I can't make it to the gym, I still get to follow a really similar routine.

On a side note, one of the administrators at the hospital I work for has asked me to write an article in their newsletter about what I've did to lose weight.  They apparently talk about my progress quite a bit, and they're hoping that I'll inspire other employees to try and get healthier and lose weight too.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2261 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »
Well, bench presses, like most anything, are fine in moderation. It's just when they become the sole focus of one's workouts that they become really problematic. That often seems to be the case, however.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2262 on: April 21, 2011, 01:52:38 AM »
Oh, they're not the focus for me at all.  I love em and I love the way they make me feel, but they're by no means the soul of my workout.  I'm all about compound exercises for a whole me.
WTF

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2263 on: April 25, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »
Anybody see the WOW from MDA this week?

NFL Combine

Complete:

4 40-yard Dashes
2 Max Pushups (or Bench Press), Two Minute Rest
10 Vertical Leaps
10 Broad Jumps
5 Cone Drill Runs
5 Shuttle Runs

Looks Fun!
WTF

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2264 on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
Just a bump.

I've decided to change things up a bit with what I've been eating:

1) Coconut oil.  Love it.  I got Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and have been using that to cook eggs with.  Tastes great with the great minor coconut smelling aroma and cooks great.  I've never had burned eggs since vs. using olive oil for cooking spray.  I just use a tablespoon per serving of eggs (2 Omega 3 eggs, 3 egg whites)  Since the melting point is 76 degrees F, it is a white and clear solid.  I got this kind from Amazon because of the high ratings.  If there's a better kind out there, let me know.  Since I use it once a day for eggs, this will last me two months.

2) I went to the SA thread regarding this and saw chorizo chicken.  I love chorizo and chicken and decided to modify it.  They had a chorizo stick and four chicken breasts.  I have two chorizo sticks, five chicken breasts, a large red onion, three jalapeno peppers, and a bag of spinach in the mix.  I modified it so it will last a week and I saw that it was lacking vegetables.  I cook it in a crock pot for eight hours and then I just separate it into five containers for lunch at work.  Tastes great!

Basically I've been taking existing recipes and adding more vegetables.  I replaced the greek yogurt with kefir as a change up.  No snacking.  I drink three or four cups of coffee a day and that is my next goal to tackle.  I'm probably going to phase it out with tea and then completely break any dependence I might have had with caffeine.

I do admit that I have wavered for a while on the low carbohydrate front.  Work got to be very hectic for a while and had to travel all over without access to a microwave.  Doesn't excuse the fact that there are options without having that available but whatever.  Time to refocus!  Same goes for lifting, which has lagged a lot lately, thanks to 12-14 hour workdays, being on call, studying for the GMAT, and playing Dynasty Warriors 7.  No more excuses :maf
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:47:17 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2265 on: May 01, 2011, 12:18:31 PM »
I've wanted to try coconut oil, but my wife is severely allergic.   :(

Cutting out caffeine is awesome!  Your body will learn to make it's own energy, and when you do consume caffeine, it makes you feel like superman.  At least, that's what it does to me now.
WTF

Skidmark

« Reply #2266 on: May 01, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »
Once a week or so I have a cup of coffee before my workout, sometimes I replace it with an apple. I feel that it helps me and makes me feel more energetic. I have googled around a bit but each article I read seems to contradict the previous one. Any thoughts on this?

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2267 on: May 01, 2011, 05:22:23 PM »
I think I found the answer to my salad problem.  I've been wanting to eat a healthier salad by making my own dressing for it, but all of the oils and vinegars I had been using to make it tasted like shit. 

I found a local vendor today that bottles EVOO and vinegars (both with flavorings of their own) at our town festival.  They were a little expensive, but they tasted amazing.  I also bought some locally dried shiitake mushrooms too.  I'll tell you how this salad turns out tonight!
WTF

cool breeze

« Reply #2268 on: May 01, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
I'm hoping cutting out caffeine will eventually be a good idea.  I have a lull for the past few days and stopped drinking, but now I feel like my body is dead.  It's weird because before I'd get ~4 or 5 hours of sleep, drink some coffee, and be jumping over buildings and shit.  Today I had a little over 8 hours of sleep and have been dragging my feet.  Mentally I feel more sharp, but physically I feel like I'm moving in quicksand.  That doesn't even make sense.

also, chewing gum.  All nasty habits I've gained are coming off at the same time.

« Reply #2269 on: May 01, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »
Perhaps it's the withdrawal?

cool breeze

« Reply #2270 on: May 01, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »
Probably.  The last three weeks I might as well been injecting it into my veins.  Going from that to nothing explains why I'm feeling so beat.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2271 on: May 02, 2011, 03:19:01 AM »
Once a week or so I have a cup of coffee before my workout, sometimes I replace it with an apple. I feel that it helps me and makes me feel more energetic. I have googled around a bit but each article I read seems to contradict the previous one. Any thoughts on this?

If you're worried about the impact of a cup of coffee or an apple once a week, you must be in some pretty fuckin' great shape, is all I'll say. :lol
vjj

Skidmark

« Reply #2272 on: May 02, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »

If you're worried about the impact of a cup of coffee or an apple once a week, you must be in some pretty fuckin' great shape, is all I'll say. :lol
I was thinking performance wise.
also here is my progress so far:

should I still continue with gomad?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2273 on: May 02, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
:bow Skidmark :bow2

Dude, don't try to fix something that's clearly working.  Awesome progress, man.

As of Friday, I lost 37 lbs total.  I'm also now cycling off creatine and it's only been about 4 days but I'm already starting to feel the difference from not holding all that water.  I also decided to change up my routine a bit and i'm on a 3 day split with 6 days of cardio a week.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2274 on: May 03, 2011, 03:43:38 AM »
When to end GOMAD and presumably whatever Starting Strength-esque routine is a tough question to answer. It depends!

It's a fundamentally unhealthy eating routine (since it's incredibly hard to take in all those calories from only good food sources...) so you obviously don't want to be doing it forever. If you are doing it to get stronger and therefore bigger, I would stop when the progress you are making in your lifts starts to taper off, i.e. when you can't add weight at least once a week. You might hit a point where you start to feel uncomfortable with the extra bodyweight and the eating before that though. If so, by all means stop. Nothing wrong with stopping before you completely max it out. I'm all about the bang for the buck, myself. I'd say take the relatively easy 80% and bank it, rather than going for the next-to-impossible 100%. As a general timeline, you should be doing SS / Gomad for at least 3 months before you think of stopping, but many will still be getting useful gains out of it for a year.
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #2275 on: May 03, 2011, 05:17:37 AM »

I was thinking performance wise.
also here is my progress so far:
(Image removed from quote.)
should I still continue with gomad?

You gained 22 lbs in TWO MONTHS? I call shenanigans.

If not, holy fuck, what the hell are you doing and where can I get some? :bow :bow :bow

Skidmark

« Reply #2276 on: May 03, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »
When to end GOMAD and presumably whatever Starting Strength-esque routine is a tough question to answer. It depends!

It's a fundamentally unhealthy eating routine (since it's incredibly hard to take in all those calories from only good food sources...) so you obviously don't want to be doing it forever. If you are doing it to get stronger and therefore bigger, I would stop when the progress you are making in your lifts starts to taper off, i.e. when you can't add weight at least once a week. You might hit a point where you start to feel uncomfortable with the extra bodyweight and the eating before that though. If so, by all means stop. Nothing wrong with stopping before you completely max it out. I'm all about the bang for the buck, myself. I'd say take the relatively easy 80% and bank it, rather than going for the next-to-impossible 100%. As a general timeline, you should be doing SS / Gomad for at least 3 months before you think of stopping, but many will still be getting useful gains out of it for a year.
I think I will go one more month, right now I feel that I am still making progress and the body fat is not an issue so far. I have also bought some proteins and creatine.
Here is my thread on /r/fitness if you want to have a look at it:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/h1mxq/my_3_months_progress_gomad_and_sl5x5/

Skidmark

« Reply #2277 on: May 03, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
You gained 22 lbs in TWO MONTHS? I call shenanigans.

If not, holy fuck, what the hell are you doing and where can I get some? :bow :bow :bow
I gained 33 lbs over three months.
I drink about a gallon of milk everyday and do compound exercises for strength every other day.
http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2278 on: May 03, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »

I think I will go one more month, right now I feel that I am still making progress and the body fat is not an issue so far. I have also bought some proteins and creatine.
Here is my thread on /r/fitness if you want to have a look at it:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/h1mxq/my_3_months_progress_gomad_and_sl5x5/

Crazy thread :lol

You can probably add 20-50% to all those lifts if you stick at it for another 3 months or so. If the growth continues in line with the barbell poundage, you'll be pretty beastly. :hyper
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2279 on: May 04, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »
Does anybody in Fitnessbore take any pre-workout supplements?

Usually, before I go to the gym, I take a Green Tea tablet that has a little caffeine in it, but as of late I've been considering switching to something like Jack3d from USPlabs or the likes.  It's got a little bit of creatine (sp?) in it, so I'm not crazy about that, but I want something to help amp up my workout.
WTF