Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809480 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #2340 on: May 13, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
Absolutely. One of the biggest changes for me was how much my skin tone improved. This is one of the major reasons behind the magic 'de-aging' that seemingly occurs. The number of things that it affects is kind of crazy, and listing them all is going to make me sound like a snake oil salesman, so I won't. I'll just say that what your put in your body is the single most important thing that affects every part of it. Refraining from putting in toxic crap and replacing it with stuff your body needs to repair the damage will fix a wide range of issues.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2341 on: May 13, 2011, 10:06:56 PM »
btw, don't get too obsessed with the organic/free-range stuff. If you can get it, that's great. Always aim for the highest quality food you can. But eating regular bacon and regular eggs for breakfast for example is still going to be a huge improvement over pancakes and maple syrup or cereal. You can always supplement with stuff like fish oil to make up for the deficiencies of your protein sources. The important thing is to Get Off the Crack (carbs) as soon as possible.
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2342 on: May 13, 2011, 10:33:27 PM »
I used to get the occasional flare ups of dermatitis until this diet.  However it can kind of come and go every couple of years so it could be entirely coincidental.
🍆🍆

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2343 on: May 13, 2011, 11:02:56 PM »
Well that does make sense. Thanks for the couple of tips, Cormac. I know there's plenty more to it and I'll probably look into it soon. I'm gonna move out in the coming months (if I get a job I'm interviewing for on Monday, it'll be ASAP), and I think it'll be much easier for me to regulate my diet then. As it is now, my parents stock the house with garbage that I can't stop myself from eating occasionally.
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #2344 on: May 14, 2011, 12:27:32 AM »
As it is now, my parents stock the house with garbage that I can't stop myself from eating occasionally.
This is a huge problem for me.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2345 on: May 14, 2011, 12:33:30 AM »
Let's be roommates. This way I can move to the Bronx to save money and survive. Although I guess I'd be cool in Spanish Harlem considering that person in Penn Station who asked if I spoke English.

*eats chocolate cake that his mom baked for his dad's birthday*
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:36:45 AM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #2346 on: May 14, 2011, 01:08:43 AM »
 :lol

I wish I could move out. I'm hoping that I'll be able to sometime in the next 2 years.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2347 on: May 14, 2011, 01:28:07 AM »
As it is now, my parents stock the house with garbage that I can't stop myself from eating occasionally.

It's a problem for me too - my wife is a vegetarian who eats crap all day long. I just got back from lunch where she tried to get me to finish her dessert. I had to refuse 3 times, even after all this time. I don't force her to eat steak...but what can you do other than compromise a bit. So long as I buy and cook my own stuff, she has no real cause for complaint. 
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #2348 on: May 14, 2011, 01:37:33 AM »
sounds like good sitcom material

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2349 on: May 14, 2011, 02:33:02 AM »
Jack Spratt would eat no fat, his wife would eat no lean...in opposite land
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2350 on: May 16, 2011, 12:05:25 AM »
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2351 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »
Nice site Cormac.  I'll have to read through it today.

I started adding 5mg of Creatine Monohydrate to my gym routine, along with upping the caffeine a little bit.  I found a way to do it without adding any sugar either (Thanks Mups).  I can't tell if it's a placebo effect or not, but I'm liking the results with it.  I'm already adding more weight to my lifts and more reps in places that I can't add weight.

I did have a question for anybody that uses or has used creatine.  I don't want to bulk up a lot.  I just want help reaching that next level.  Would it be effective to cycle on and off of the stuff?
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2352 on: May 16, 2011, 10:39:07 AM »
Some people say that they stop feeling a difference if they don't cycle off, but I think you just get used to it because it doesn't stop working if you continuously take it.  They've done a lot of studies on whether it's necessary to cycle off and they have found no difference except that you lose time cycling off and getting back on.  I stayed on for 16 weeks on my last cycle and I know it was still working because I'm already feeling a difference in recovery time and I can see a difference physically now that I'm not holding onto so much water (arms and legs have actually become more defined since the area around the muscle is no longer so bloated). 

Also, saturation with monohydrate takes about a week or two if you don't do a loading phase (which I don't think is necessary) and it takes 6 weeks for you to get down to normal creatine levels after cycling off.  So say you stay on for 8 weeks and stay off for 8 weeks, you're really only at normal levels for 2 weeks.

So basically, it's personal preference.  it's been proven to be perfectly safe to stay on it for extended periods of time.  It's only advised to cycle off when you want to lose the water weight. 

And it's not placebo.  After a few days you can feel the difference with creatine.  It helps you hit it harder and longer by maximizing your recovery.  Creatine is probably the only supplement besides fish oil that I'd recommend to anyone.  Definitely worth it for the price and effects.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2353 on: May 16, 2011, 12:14:37 PM »
I'll try six weeks on and off for now.  Just to see how I like it.  I also didn't see that the loading phase was necessary.  Like I said, I'm not looking to go all bodybuilder with it, i just want some help in increasing my strength, building muscle, and burning fat.

I definitely like the recovery time with it too.  I can't wait to see how it changes me a month from now.  I've been getting a lot of compliments lately that I've slimmed down a lot.  I also got a compliment from a female coworker that my chest looked bigger.   :hump
WTF

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #2354 on: May 17, 2011, 09:17:04 AM »
So what about fruit, most days i eat a piece of fruit. Be it an Orange, or half an avocado.....

But i've been hearing stuff against eating fruit. Should i? Shouldn't i eat it? What's the deal...

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #2355 on: May 17, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
Your homework for the day :lol

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/9-steps-to-perfect-health-1-dont-eat-toxins

It's like i'm walking through a mine field. Good lord, somebody just get me a list of the shit i can eat...

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #2356 on: May 17, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »

It's a problem for me too - my wife is a vegetarian who eats crap all day long. I just got back from lunch where she tried to get me to finish her dessert. I had to refuse 3 times, even after all this time. I don't force her to eat steak...but what can you do other than compromise a bit. So long as I buy and cook my own stuff, she has no real cause for complaint. 

werd, bitches keep ruinin it for us

My GF buys shit all the goddamn time, always tries to get me to eat cookies, chips, whatever!

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2357 on: May 17, 2011, 09:37:32 AM »
So what about fruit, most days i eat a piece of fruit. Be it an Orange, or half an avocado.....

But i've been hearing stuff against eating fruit. Should i? Shouldn't i eat it? What's the deal...

Hey, the second I get the definitive guide to the human body, fitness and diet I'll post it here and we can close the thread, alright? :lol

Fruit - what you describe sounds fine. No-one has a problem with avocado, or tomatoes. It's the sweet stuff like pineapple and bananas that is the real problem, and even then it seems to be ok in limited amounts. What exactly those amounts are isn't really clear. If you are trying to lose weight, it should definitely go, or be severely restricted (limited amounts of low GI fruit). Personally I've cut way back and feel better for it.
vjj

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #2358 on: May 17, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »
Life is so hard.

I'll just keep eating oranges and avocatos. Tomatoes i eat with salads.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2359 on: May 17, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »
take this, health freaks: http://www.wisinfo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011305140035

2 big macs and 2 cokes a day? (probably in the area of 1080 [big macs] + 600 [cokes] = 1680 nasty-ass calories/day.) he's 180 lbs and 6'2", and has a cholesterol level of 156? holymcfuckme. i hope he shits like the yangtze river every night. (for the record, i am 178 and 5'11", and i hafta workout like a motherfucker AND eat a damn nutritious diet to stay there. yes, i am BITTERCAKES. on the upside, i could easily fuck him up in a throwdown. grrr. grrr!)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:57:25 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2360 on: May 17, 2011, 05:07:58 PM »
Because Big Macs are fucking incredible

:bow Big Macs :bow2

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2361 on: May 17, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
Big Macs  :yuck
AMC

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2362 on: May 17, 2011, 08:00:43 PM »
:yuck

hey, some people get it easy. We know this. The good professor should know that absolute cholesterol level tells us practically nothing about the state of his health though. :wag
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2363 on: May 17, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
My old roommate would only eat fast food, drank like a fish, and was skinny.  It happens.
🍆🍆

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2364 on: May 17, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
my youngest brother is like that: 6 foot and MAYBE 135 lbs and he eats nothing but potato chips and candy and beef jerky and root beer and fruit juice and hard liquor. he also has 1/4th of a functional kidney (lost 1 and 3/4s of another to a genetic disorder). i'd say i envy the fact that he can live like that, but it's actually pretty gross. if i had the ability to eat that shit, i'd be FINE DININ' IN SEATTLE every night instead of gorging on bags of processed godknowswhat.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2365 on: May 17, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
(i lie. i'd do what i do now: pound bacon and eggs like a motherfucker. MMMM BACON AND EGGS.)
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2366 on: May 17, 2011, 09:10:07 PM »
If you stay active and don't eat crazy portions, it is certainly possible to stay skinny eating almost any shit. It doesn't mean he is fit or healthy though, and it is wildly unlikely that he will stay skinny past 30. His liver probably looks like that of a French goose.

Whatever. Other people. My experiments have a sample size of one.
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #2367 on: May 17, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »
thanks dude!  It's starting to slow down though.  I went from losing around 5 lbs a week when I first started to now around 3.  So I imagine the next 20 or 30 lbs are going to be the hard ones and it'll take another 10 or so weeks.  Oh well.  I want to be around 220 for my birthday (july 29).  I'm at 248.  I'm also finally beginning to lose around my abdomen.  So far most of my fat loss has been on my moobs, thighs and arms.  I've gone down 2 pants sizes (42 to 38) but I'd assume 40 lbs would be more than 2 pants sizes!  But it's finally happening.  Thank god.

Edit: apparently (after getting curious and looking it up), 2 pants sizes is about right.  Generally 10 lbs is 1 pt size.  So 40 lbs would bring me from a 42 to 38.

What the hell?  You were almost 300lbs at 5'9?  You didn't look anywhere near that fat in pics. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2368 on: May 17, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »
you're forgetting about his BMC
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2369 on: May 17, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
you're forgetting about Himu's BBC in his butt

fixed

If you stay active and don't eat crazy portions, it is certainly possible to stay skinny eating almost any shit. It doesn't mean he is fit or healthy though, and it is wildly unlikely that he will stay skinny past 30. His liver probably looks like that of a French goose.

Whatever. Other people. My experiments have a sample size of one.

Yeah, the stuff about how mesomorphs can look like Arnold while just sitting around and eating whatever is pretty much BS.    My body is mesomorphic and when I was an undergrad, I stayed at 175-180 even while chowing down four to six thousand fat and carb loaded calories.  For example, I'd eat a 4x4 In N Out burger for lunch with fries and a milkshake, half a bucket of ice cream for afternoon snack and most of a large pizza for dinner.  All I did was play basketball about two or three days a week and that would be enough to keep in shape.  I never even bothered going to the gym since I hated weights and cardio training.  

However, now that I'm older, the fat starts piling on pretty quickly when I'm sedentary and eat junk for a couple of months.  Sure, my frame makes it harder to show with clothes on but I wouldn't dare to swim shirtless when I'm in that state.   In order to eat whatever I want and not get fat, I need to have intense workouts at least 3-4 times a week.  

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2370 on: May 17, 2011, 09:54:34 PM »
Having said that, I think the main reason for the post-30 blimpage isn't some genetic predestination, which has become the consensus view among average folks. People just resign themselves to getting fat when they approach middle-age, as if evolution would have designed us that way.

In reality, I think it's because of the years of bad eating resulting in metabolic derangement and a fucked-up digestive system. Which is actually great news, because it is completely reversible (unlike the accepted view that we just inexorably turn into slugs).
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2371 on: May 17, 2011, 10:09:17 PM »
When I was really young (under 10), I was sickly skinny.  I could and did eat Big Macs almost daily and was still skinny.  Although to my credit, I was very active.

From 10-20, I turned into a fat ass.  Fortunately I was into weights for a lot of my teen years so the fat/muscle mix was partially redeeming.  I could at least bullshit others into thinking I was into powerlifting.  My eating habits didn't change much but I do have to say I was a lot less active in these years, even with three hour football practices (sometimes practicing with linebackers as a defensive end) and hitting the iron five times a week.

For a while, well after I dropped 100+ pounds, I was still baffled as to how I could have been that fat despite being somewhat active.  It wasn't until reading up on this stuff that I realized that almost everything I ate in that timeframe was highly processed.  It's pretty surreal looking back on it.

Lesson learned.  I do agree Cormacaroni that a lot of people would rather just resign to fate and eat junk food as they get older.  Especially as free time dwindles down to nothing with job, family, house, etc.  It's just easier to call it genetics and stop by Taco Bell on the way home instead.
🍆🍆

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2372 on: May 17, 2011, 10:18:06 PM »
Having said that, I think the main reason for the post-30 blimpage isn't some genetic predestination, which has become the consensus view among average folks. People just resign themselves to getting fat when they approach middle-age, as if evolution would have designed us that way.

In reality, I think it's because of the years of bad eating resulting in metabolic derangement and a fucked-up digestive system. Which is actually great news, because it is completely reversible (unlike the accepted view that we just inexorably turn into slugs).

Hmm, maybe years of Seefood diet are the reason why I haven't been able to get 6 pack abs even after eating relatively healthy and working out regularly?

Quick recap of my progress in the last year:

For most of 2010, I was at an overweight 210-215.  After finally exercising again in November, I got back to 185-190 around January with much added muscle.  Around that time, I was probably the strongest I have ever been.  

But then I got sick in January, which made me stop going to the gym and become lazy again.  I went back up to 200 in April before I decided to get back in shape.  First, I changed my diet significantly about six weeks ago.  I didn't eliminate all bad foods like processed carbs and greasy stuff but I cut them by more than 50%.  That got me to lose about 10lbs.  Then, I started working out in the last 4 weeks and got down to 180-185 now.  

My body actually looks better now than when it was in January.  Last time, I concentrated on gaining power by doing heavy lifts and ended up looking like a barrell on top.  This time, I'm careful to rest more between sets when working out parts that are already big like back and thighs.  I also eliminated useless exercises like benching and curling.  The end result is that my body looks much more proportional even though I only weigh a few pounds less.

My problem is that the fat loss progress seems to have slowed in the last two weeks.  I am still improving rapidly in terms of msucle size and definition but the tummy fat seems to go really slowly.  I can see a 3-pack (no line in the middle) when I suck in and flex but a 6-pack still seems far away.  What do I have to do to take it to the next level?  

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2373 on: May 17, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
Based on the number of times you've posted ITT, I think you already know but just don't want to hear it :lol
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2374 on: May 18, 2011, 12:44:19 AM »
I would go on your 100% approved diet if I can be ensured of getting washboard abs. 

If I concentrate on my delts for a week or two, I immediately see big improvements in size and definition.  That gives me more motivation to keep working out. 

However whenever I've gone on high protein, low carb, low fat diets for about a week or two, there is hardly any body change.  Keep in mind I'm talking about when I'm in already decent shape.  When I'm fat, then yeah, the good diet sheds fat superfast.  However, once my waist gets to about 33", then it seems to stop trimming regardless of what I eat.  What's the point of cutting all the stuff I love to eat if it hardly makes any difference? 

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2375 on: May 18, 2011, 12:57:38 AM »
Because you can't really see change after just a week or two at that size.  It takes time. 

I'm doing Paleo/Primal.  Have been since January.  These are the foods I love now.  I've lost 50 lbs in six months.  I'm starting to see muscle definition for the first time in my life.

IT TAKES TIME.
WTF

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2376 on: May 18, 2011, 01:21:44 AM »
I really think that genes play a huge part. 

Look at this dude who seems to be a classic endomorph-

Pretty good, right?

But look at this pic:

Judging from his muscular arms, who would have expected such a flabby chest? 

That really seems to be a limit to how much normal people can change their bodytypes.  Unless a person is willing to be as dedicated as a professional bodybuilder, that dream body just might not be possible. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2377 on: May 18, 2011, 02:06:03 AM »
Well, Rippetoe guaranteed 8% BF (washboard abs) to anyone who did Crossfit and the Zone diet (which I think sucks but has been proven again and again to work for straight weight loss). He wasn't even an advocate of either really - he had a Crossfit affiliate as part of his facility, and just noticed that trend over and over. Noticeable change is NEVER going to happen in a week though, and it is has been said over and over here that the last 5% of body fat is far far harder to lose than the first 20%. Certainly the older you get, (i.e. the less testosterone you generate naturally) the harder it is going to be. You are not going to get a bodybuilder body without bodybuilding. You can certainly get an underwear model body though. It will take time and effort of course, just not as much as that of a bodybuilder.

But I'm not really sure what you have to lose. The alternative seems to be staying in mediocre shape and working harder and harder while having to cut down on the foods you love anyway. Or in the worst case, getting disillusioned with mediocrity and just getting fat and out of shape.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2378 on: May 18, 2011, 02:07:06 AM »
btw I have a 30" waist for the first time since I was like 12 years old :D
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2379 on: May 18, 2011, 02:16:49 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703509104576327624238594818.html?mod=e2tw
How did Novak Djokovic conquer the tennis world?

Maybe the answer is as simple as this: Since last year, he's swearing off pasta, pizza, beer, French bread, Corn Flakes, pretzels, empanadas, Mallomars and Twizzlers—anything with gluten.

vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2380 on: May 18, 2011, 02:43:01 AM »
Gourmet dining or Cormac's sexy waist?  It's a huge dilemma.  My family knows that I'm a hardcore foodie so they are alway sending me good foods or taking me out to nice restaurants.   Most of my friends will only eat what is tasty.  Unlike a workout routine, I have to consider many factors about how I can truly adopt a new eating system. 

Is it possible that I haven't doen enough cardio?  Most magazines recommend that mesomorphs incorporate cardio into the routine.  Since working out again, I never bother to do cardio unless I'm doing lower body lifts.  For those, I use the ellipltical for about 7 minutes to get my legs warmed up.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #2381 on: May 18, 2011, 02:52:06 AM »
Well, Rippetoe guaranteed 8% BF (washboard abs) to anyone who did Crossfit and the Zone diet (which I think sucks but has been proven again and again to work for straight weight loss). He wasn't even an advocate of either really - he had a Crossfit affiliate as part of his facility, and just noticed that trend over and over. Noticeable change is NEVER going to happen in a week though, and it is has been said over and over here that the last 5% of body fat is far far harder to lose than the first 20%. Certainly the older you get, (i.e. the less testosterone you generate naturally) the harder it is going to be. You are not going to get a bodybuilder body without bodybuilding. You can certainly get an underwear model body though. It will take time and effort of course, just not as much as that of a bodybuilder.

But I'm not really sure what you have to lose. The alternative seems to be staying in mediocre shape and working harder and harder while having to cut down on the foods you love anyway. Or in the worst case, getting disillusioned with mediocrity and just getting fat and out of shape.

More testosterone? Maybe I should get Propecia (finasteride) which not only reduces hair loss, lowers prostate cancer % but also elevate testosterone in most men. 

With regards to cross training, is it adatable to someone who justs wants to train for explosiveness?  I've always throught that crossfit was designed to train power and endurance equally.  For my needs, I would rather lean much more towards building power than endurance. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2382 on: May 18, 2011, 03:04:15 AM »
Well, the great thing about proper diet and training is that it boosts testosterone naturally. Lots of great stuff about this in Tim Ferriss' 4H Body if you want to take a look.

Crossfit - explosiveness is a huge part of it too. Not so much endurance. Not many Crossfit workouts are longer than 20 mins. If you want nothing but explosiveness, just do Olympic lifting and some sprinting and plyometrics.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2383 on: May 18, 2011, 03:05:35 AM »
Gourmet dining or Cormac's sexy waist?  It's a huge dilemma.  My family knows that I'm a hardcore foodie so they are alway sending me good foods or taking me out to nice restaurants.   Most of my friends will only eat what is tasty.  Unlike a workout routine, I have to consider many factors about how I can truly adopt a new eating system. 

Is it possible that I haven't doen enough cardio?  Most magazines recommend that mesomorphs incorporate cardio into the routine.  Since working out again, I never bother to do cardio unless I'm doing lower body lifts.  For those, I use the ellipltical for about 7 minutes to get my legs warmed up.

I seriously doubt you are more of a foodie than me, come on. Cooking was my main hobby for years. Rman is a qualified chef and he eats paleo!
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2384 on: May 18, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »
here's an idea: stop discussing hypotheticals and TRY IT.

tomorrow:

breakfast - bacon and eggs
lunch - chicken salad
dinner - steak and any non-starchy veggies you fancy

at some point do this workout (just a random selection from hundreds i've done, not tailored to your needs at all)

for time (i.e. use a stopwatch and go as fast as possible):

7 rounds of 5 deadlifts at roughly 200lbs (scale up or down depending on your current max...), then 25 squats (no weight)

Simple enough, right? What have you got to lose by trying it for a day?

vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2385 on: May 18, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
i still hate all y'all. i do an hour of moderate cardio (sprints, rowing, 30 mins elliptical) and another 30 minutes of lifting and floor exercises 5 days a week (i jog for 2 miles on off days) and i still hafta keep my calorie count around 1500 or i gain weight. that's just lame! on the other hand, i could run a 5k no prob. probably time to get back into martial arts. still, i hate that my skinny-ass coworkers and family can pound cheesecake and guzzle booze while i drink unsweetened iced tea and eat chicken salad.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:25:35 AM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2386 on: May 18, 2011, 03:28:35 AM »
anyone can run a 5K dude.

Have you tried doing LESS cardio (somewhat of a recurring theme here....). I mean, you obviously don't enjoy it. Why not try ...not doing it. Something is wrong here. I suspect not enough intensity - no-one can do 'cardio' with any intensity for an hour.*

(no, not even marathon runners or soccer players. They're running at way less than peak intensity at any given time)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2387 on: May 18, 2011, 03:42:26 AM »
i still hate all y'all. i do an hour of moderate cardio (sprints, rowing, 30 mins elliptical) and another 30 minutes of lifting and floor exercises 5 days a week (i jog for 2 miles on off days) and i still hafta keep my calorie count around 1500 or i gain weight. that's just lame! on the other hand, i could run a 5k no prob. probably time to get back into martial arts. still, i hate that my skinny-ass coworkers and family can pound cheesecake and guzzle booze while i drink unsweetened iced tea and eat chicken salad.

There is really something wrong with this. 1500 calories is for girls! I've had that for dinner without gaining weight. What do you mean by 'lifting'? You should be able to do any serious lifting AFTER an hour of cardio, intense or not. I'm starting to think your trainer really sucks.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2388 on: May 18, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »
thanks dude!  It's starting to slow down though.  I went from losing around 5 lbs a week when I first started to now around 3.  So I imagine the next 20 or 30 lbs are going to be the hard ones and it'll take another 10 or so weeks.  Oh well.  I want to be around 220 for my birthday (july 29).  I'm at 248.  I'm also finally beginning to lose around my abdomen.  So far most of my fat loss has been on my moobs, thighs and arms.  I've gone down 2 pants sizes (42 to 38) but I'd assume 40 lbs would be more than 2 pants sizes!  But it's finally happening.  Thank god.

Edit: apparently (after getting curious and looking it up), 2 pants sizes is about right.  Generally 10 lbs is 1 pt size.  So 40 lbs would bring me from a 42 to 38.

What the hell?  You were almost 300lbs at 5'9?  You didn't look anywhere near that fat in pics. 
well not 5'9, 6'1.  Where'd you get 5'9 from? :o

Also, I had little to no muscle mass when I was 200 and pretty skinny.  I would say I have probably put on a good 20 lbs of muscle too.  But yeah, the rest is fat :( 

Cormac, correct me if I'm wrong, but 1500 calories with that much exercise is starvation mode.  I would think he'd do better upping the calories a bit to around 1800-2000 at least.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2389 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:04 AM »
Mups - yeah, I'd have to agree. Eat more, stop hatin' life. Use the extra energy to increase the intensity of workouts, but shorten the duration. I'd be fucking miserable doing what Prole is doing. On the other hand, he does seem to be in much better shape than previously, and generally content so what do I know.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2390 on: May 18, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »
He might be more content with a few extra pieces of bacon in the morning :drool

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2391 on: May 18, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »
(Confession: I have never actually counted calories in my life)
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2392 on: May 18, 2011, 08:58:34 AM »
I count them everyday :(  I also weigh and measure everything I eat.  It drives my wife nuts but it works.  My problem is overeating.  I can still down 3000-4000 calories easily on a paleo diet.  But if I count my calories I can tell myself "Dude, you're not even hungry. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2393 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
er, i shoulda said NET 1500 calories -- i estimate a burn of about 600-800 calories per workout session, so i eat from 2100 to 2300 on those days.

and i count calories like a bastard. it's my new obsession. anything with numbers will fill my head like that. i got some sorta lightweight dustin hoffman thang goin' on.
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2394 on: May 18, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
aargh, stop doing that (counting workout calories)!

Please, read up on homeostasis and how we achieve it if you haven't already. There is so much more to this than calories in, calories out. And it's not trivial stuff - the body can utterly wipe out any change you attempt to impose it without you knowing.
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2395 on: May 18, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »
well, after talkin' with my wife, who actually reads up on this shit, i'm gonna shift to 20-30 mins of high-interval training and axe the elliptical for awhile, and see what happens. experimenting is fun!
duc

Beezy

« Reply #2396 on: May 18, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »
This is all so complicated! :'(

You guys serious about the eggs and bacon? I'd be the happiest person alive if I could eat bacon everyday.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2397 on: May 18, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »
bacon is great, homeboy!  Eat it!!!!  Even cook your eggs in bacon grease.

Beezy

« Reply #2398 on: May 18, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »
:drool :drool :drool

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2399 on: May 18, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
well, after talkin' with my wife, who actually reads up on this shit, i'm gonna shift to 20-30 mins of high-interval training and axe the elliptical for awhile, and see what happens. experimenting is fun!

alright!

To expound on the futility of counting calories, you would also need to, just for example:

- figure out what your calorie expenditure was at rest, at a normal temperature, in normal clothing;
- count every step you walked that day
- count everything you picked up
- count every time you whacked off or had sex
- what time you got up and what time you went to bed, i.e. how many hours you were awake vs sleeping
- how much time you spent tapping your foot or other twitchy actions

....and on and on and on.

The point is that your energy levels directly affect your activity levels in many ways, many of which are totally unnoticeable to you and almost impossible to account for. (and of course, your activity levels in turn affect your energy levels...)

The one thing counting calories (and that eliptical is probably grossly inaccurate anyway...) does is make you think 'oh, I can eat more today 'cause i worked out).

Not to get all hippy dippy you but I think maybe you need to learn to listen to your body a bit more rather than doing math.
vjj