Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809811 times)

Re: FitnessBore - 2012 edition
« Reply #3600 on: February 22, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »
If anyone here is interested, the first workout for the crossfit games is 7 mins of burpees.  :-X Jesus christ.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3601 on: February 22, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »
that's my reaction to all Crossfit workouts these days. They're all fucking stupidly OTT now.
vjj

« Reply #3602 on: February 22, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »
that's my reaction to all Crossfit workouts these days. They're all fucking stupidly OTT now.

My gym does a really good job with programming. Usually there is a lift and then something that takes 10-20 minutes. We do something ridiculous maybe 2-3 times a month.

Today's workout was to find out 1Rep Max on Clean and Jerks and then we did HIIT rowing. 10 x 500M. Not over the top but definitely exhausting.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3603 on: February 22, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
That's what keeps it alive for me - the fact that there are so many great Crossfit gyms out there that post sensible workouts on their blogs. All the mainsite/Games-type stuff is just silly though. The biggest problem is that ALL the workouts are beatdowns. There is no such thing as a light day, ever. Normal human beings need far more time to recover than they allow. Of course, if you go to a gym with a good trainer, they can tell when you need more or less stimulation.
vjj

« Reply #3604 on: February 22, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
I hear ya. To be fair, most everyone I know thinks that the main site WODs are B.S.

We do some hero workouts from time to time though just to have some heavy days. Those can be pretty brutal. Honestly though I really like the days that focus on lifting.

When I first joined my gym, the owner had me cleaning with a PVC pipe.  :lol I'm sure I looked ridiculous.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3605 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
I did too....so do genuine Olympic lifters. I read that the UK Olympic lifting team aren't allowed to touch a bar for at least a year. Minor form problems are much more acute at that level of course.
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3606 on: February 22, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »
yup. i wasn't allowed to deadlift until i could demonstrate good form, and given my complete and total lack of body and spacial awareness, that took awhile! on the other hand, NO CRIPPLING BACK INJURIES.
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3607 on: February 23, 2012, 03:35:20 AM »
well, deadlifting is very far from as technically demanding as the Olympic lifts....i see no reason not to start with the bar + wooden plates at least
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3608 on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »
62 is a bit weaksauce, Biz. Sure you can do better. Good to see the deadlift going up though!
vjj

« Reply #3609 on: February 23, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »
Yeah 62 seems a little low for 7 minutes. I did 25 in 1 minute a while back, which most people though was decent but not great.

Your deadlift PR is awesome dude!

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #3610 on: February 24, 2012, 03:50:58 PM »
Two weeks into jujitsu classes, continually getting my ass handed to me due to lack of good technique / lack of upper body strength for muscling my way out of holds. Time to start kettlebell training per Cormac's reco (though technique >>>> muscle any day of the week). I'm still having a great time, the people are super nice (Gracie Barra in Seattle, haven't visited the Bellevue one yet).

I've been training almost every day including weekends and I'm kinda surprised that my body's been able to take it. I'm sore afterwards but after I sleep it off it's usually gone. One thing I've noticed is that I need a LOT MORE sleep, 6-7 hours is not cutting it anymore, I need 8 or I feel like crap the next day. Taking extra good care of my joints by tapping early, getting up slowly, and stretching a ton.

BTW I'm 34, and if someone tells you that's too old to start doing MMA for fun, punch them in the face and give them a triangle choke  :-*

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #3611 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
Why don't you try GSP's routine?  I think it's on youtube. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3612 on: February 24, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »
because GSP is a pro athlete and Sho Nuff is 2 months away from being a full-time desk jockey
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3613 on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
XFE, you've become too scrawny for MMA.  I put $1000 on me whupping your ass right now with zero MA training. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3614 on: February 27, 2012, 03:23:26 AM »
Fat is definitely good for absorbing damage.  Keep in mind that I would use my solid anatomical knowledge to strike at the weakest points. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3615 on: February 27, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »
So I've been running for the last bit, and eating better for the last 9 days.  I went to put on pants that I haven't worn in 10 days and I had an extra half inch of room.

« Reply #3616 on: February 27, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »
So I've been running for the last bit, and eating better for the last 9 days.  I went to put on pants that I haven't worn in 10 days and I had an extra half inch of room.

Badass dude!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3617 on: February 27, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »
I know hey.  I am a slightly less fat fatty.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3618 on: February 27, 2012, 09:26:18 PM »
Fat is definitely good for absorbing damage.  Keep in mind that I would use my solid anatomical knowledge to strike at the weakest points. 

but i would simply run (stopping at crossings to make my time look better) until you tire out and collapse, then - i dunno - i'd stick my cock on your shoulder and take a photo and post it all over the internet?

"Check out my new cock rest!"

Hmmm.... cock rests...

Damn, you found my weakness.  I'm a sprinter on land or in water.  As long as you don't let me catch you within 20 seconds, I'm dead. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3619 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
That's actually a good idea for a stretching exercise.  I'm gonna try touching both shoulders with my cock. 

Beezy

« Reply #3620 on: February 28, 2012, 03:20:04 PM »
I'd like to try p90x, but I need dumbells and I don't have much to spend. Any recommendations? Will I be fine with these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YZD1C6/ref=s9_simh_co_p200_d0_g200_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=02FA7E100R59X8X230X6&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=1280661682&pf_rd_i=typ01

I'm not sure how much weight I'll need.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3621 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »
Those are probably ok but if you are going for adjustable weight-type DBs, make sure they take standard-sized plates so you can share plates between any other bars or DBs you might have. Also bear in mind that you need to be a bit more careful with those than fixed-weight types, since there is always the possibility of the plates coming off...
vjj

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3622 on: February 28, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3623 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I'm sure it works well enough if you do the whole programme properly (including the diet, which I'll bet right now Beezy does not :lol) but it looks like it takes way too much time for me.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #3624 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:58 PM »
I'm sure it works well enough if you do the whole programme properly (including the diet, which I'll bet right now Beezy does not :lol) but it looks like it takes way too much time for me.
Nope. :(

I'm not terrible, but I can't go full on meat and vegetables like some of you here when I'm not buying my own food. I don't have access to a gym, so I figured that this is my best option. I'm starting it on Monday... hopefully.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3625 on: February 29, 2012, 01:15:23 AM »
Alright, just keep expectations low and you may get your money's worth out of it I guess
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #3626 on: February 29, 2012, 01:23:52 AM »
...money? I hope you're talking about talking about the dumbells. :lol

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3627 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:13 AM »
P90X is good for bringing you back to your peak of athleticism but it won't do much to increase it. 

I had a beast workout today.  After a week of rest, I felt like Hercules. 

Did 4 x 1 min 35lb KB swings which were surprisingly the hardest part of my workout. 

3x10 jump squats with 2x35 KBs. 

3x10 1 legged 42 inch box jumps. 

5x5 racks with 35lb kbs (lousy form, gotta watch how Steve Cotter does it again) 

3x10 pullups.

3x10 150lb row. 

3x10 130lb reverse grip pulldowns. 

5x3 bench from 145 to 185 lbs

finally, 30 min of basketball to cool down (just fooling around though, I barely ran since my legs were dead)

Beezy

« Reply #3628 on: February 29, 2012, 01:36:25 AM »
P90X is good for bringing you back to your peak of athleticism but it won't do much to increase it.
I'll be happy with that for now.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #3629 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
thought i'd try on some designer pants to see how I fit into real non-Old Navy clothes.
took my current size in Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole and tried them on and they didn't fit.  :(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
they were too big.  :hyper
[close]
Tonya

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3630 on: February 29, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
Damn Eric, how do you lose weight for such a long period of time?  Do you continue to eat less because usually a person's metabolism adjusts after a period of dieting?

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3631 on: February 29, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
Remember that I was gargantuan.  I was Mr Bear for both January and Febuary of 2011 cuz I wouldn't fit on one centerfold. 

I just continue to do light work outs and eat well.  I don't eat nearly as much as I used to and the quality of food I DO eat is much better for me.  I also have cut back on drinking going from a few drinks a night to a few drinks a week (if that).

The best thing is that this is essentially effortless weight loss.  Takes very little work.  I was talking to a paleo friend of mine who has known me for over a decade and he is very curious to see where I bottom out and hit my first real plateau. 

Also with spring coming, I'm all about getting outside and doing some light jogging and using my local park's dip bars and the such to get some strength training back in to the rotation
Tonya

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3632 on: February 29, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »
Keep up the good work!  How much have you lost so far? 

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3633 on: February 29, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »
no clue on weight (no scale), but something like 10" off my waistline since August
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3634 on: March 01, 2012, 02:55:53 AM »
http://chriskresser.com/a-healthy-gut-is-the-hidden-key-to-weight-loss

But the most interesting part of this study is what happened when the researchers transferred the gut flora from the TLR5-deficient overweight mice into the guts of skinny mice: the skinny mice immediately started eating more and eventually developed the same metabolic abnormalities the overweight mice had. In other words, obesity and diabetes were “transferred” from one group of mice to the other simply by changing their gut flora (as shown in the image below).

Well worth a read. One of the more interesting directions in the Paleo (or post-Paleo) sphere is the renewed emphasis on the basic ability to digest food properly, i.e. gut integrity and healthiness of gut flora. You can put whatever the fuck you want into your stomach, but if it doesn't get digested, it's not going to do you any good, and will likely do damage if it goes to the wrong place (i.e. undigested proteins in the bloodstream)
vjj

« Reply #3635 on: March 02, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »
Wow, an active fitness thread. I'm in a current love/hate relationship with CrossFit. It works to increase overall fitness, but it sucks and does nothing for the "glamor" muscles. I know being stronger and more real-world capable is the point of CrossFit, but what the hell is the point if you also don't look better?

On the other hand, the workouts kick your ass and are over pretty quick, so for those of us who hate to workout, it's a godsend.

I've never seen anybody finish P90X though. I know dozens of people who have started it!

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3636 on: March 02, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
You're probably not eating enough for muscle growth.  Lots of top crossfit athletes look like superheroes. 

« Reply #3637 on: March 02, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »
So my second marathon is tomorrow and I don't feel anywhere near as prepared as the first one back in december. My knee is also bothering me.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3638 on: March 02, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »
Running a marthon seems pretty dumb when your knee is jacked.  It's not like you're a pro. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3639 on: March 02, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »
Co-sign that for sure

The original legend of Marathon has always seemed instructive to me:
The traditional story relates that Pheidippides (530 BC–490 BC), an Athenian herald, was sent to Sparta to request help when the Persians landed at Marathon, Greece. He ran 240 km (150 mi) in two days. He then ran the 40 km (25 mi) from the battlefield near Marathon to Athens to announce the Greek victory over Persia in the Battle of Marathon (490 BC) with the word "Νενικήκαμεν" (Nenikékamen, "We have won") and collapsed and died on the spot from exhaustion.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3640 on: March 03, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »
Ever since I saw this pic, it's what I see in my head whenever someone brings up crossfit.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3641 on: March 03, 2012, 04:47:05 AM »
Cormac, do you think it's worthwhile to join a crossfit gym for a month or two?  They're all $175/month in my area.  Could they really teach me stuff that I couldn't learn on my own?  I don't really give a crap about long endurance even though it's one of the main goals of crossfit.  Steady cardio is not really needed for basketball.  All I want is more explosive power, flexibilty and maybe anaerobic endurance. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3642 on: March 03, 2012, 05:04:15 AM »
If you're smart, you can conserve energy and run only when you need to, especially on D.  You don't have to run as hard when you cut off the angle for a pass to be made for the guy you're guarding.  Even when you have to play D, you can catch your breath because you're usually only moving side to side.   On offense, sometimes there's just no point in running hard because your team likes to bring the ball up slowly.  Even cutting is a waste of energy most of the time in pick-up games because most guys don't have the vision to make the right pass. 

My heart is usually not beating that fast after a game even though I primarily drive to the hoop and is one of the best rebounders/shot blockers.  Like I said earlier, three sets of 1 minute 35lb KB swings got me more winded than playing a fullcourt game of basketball. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:06:02 AM by Smooth Groove »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3643 on: March 03, 2012, 06:53:44 AM »
Cormac, do you think it's worthwhile to join a crossfit gym for a month or two?  They're all $175/month in my area.  Could they really teach me stuff that I couldn't learn on my own?  I don't really give a crap about long endurance even though it's one of the main goals of crossfit.  Steady cardio is not really needed for basketball.  All I want is more explosive power, flexibilty and maybe anaerobic endurance. 

It depends on the gym, to an extent. I hear they are popping up all over and that quality has really nosedived. On the other hand, the good gyms/trainers that were around before it all kicked off are presumably better than ever. I'd look for somewhere established, with a history of keeping their athletes around.

If you find a good gym, you'll learn a ton. Maybe not in a month. A good gym will likely frustrate you in that regard, actually - they'll want to move you along slowly and make sure you have mastered the basics before giving you real weight or testing you with tough WODs. Given your I-want-it-all-and-i-want-it-now mindset...I can see that not working out perhaps. If you go in there to learn, you have to accept that it takes time to learn anything of worth. And even after you've grasped it in principle, you have to learn it in practice, which just takes a lot of reps and a lot of correction.

A good trainer will be able to tell you your weak spots pretty early though, and should be open to discussing how you want to attack them (or ignore them...) rather than shoving their program down your throats. That should be the first thing you look for I think.
vjj

« Reply #3644 on: March 03, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »
Finished! I feel like a million bucks. No knee issues at all. Only sore thighs.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3645 on: March 03, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »

It depends on the gym, to an extent. I hear they are popping up all over and that quality has really nosedived. On the other hand, the good gyms/trainers that were around before it all kicked off are presumably better than ever. I'd look for somewhere established, with a history of keeping their athletes around.

If you find a good gym, you'll learn a ton. Maybe not in a month. A good gym will likely frustrate you in that regard, actually - they'll want to move you along slowly and make sure you have mastered the basics before giving you real weight or testing you with tough WODs. Given your I-want-it-all-and-i-want-it-now mindset...I can see that not working out perhaps. If you go in there to learn, you have to accept that it takes time to learn anything of worth. And even after you've grasped it in principle, you have to learn it in practice, which just takes a lot of reps and a lot of correction.

A good trainer will be able to tell you your weak spots pretty early though, and should be open to discussing how you want to attack them (or ignore them...) rather than shoving their program down your throats. That should be the first thing you look for I think.

Are you calling me a free market negro?  :wag

I think you're right about the nosediving of crossfit gyms.  I took a look at a couple of their websites yesterday and quite a few of the trainers are in pretty lousy shape.  While there certainly are good trainers who aren't fit themselves, those crossfit trainers supposedly had strong beliefs in crossfit principles and were still actively training. 

I actually found a nearby place that seems to have what I want. 

http://www.cuttingedgeathletics.com/facility.htm

They train athletes who want to go into major pro sports.  I wonder if they're willing to train a non-pro into an elite athlete.  Many gyms like this are really anal about only giving high performance training to pros.  I'm willing to give it a try as long as it's under $200/month. 

« Reply #3646 on: March 04, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »
Marathon times got posted.

My Pace time was faster than my first 5k run I did back in July!  :lol

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3647 on: March 04, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
Had to move about 30 bags of 40lb soil for my old neighbor.  It was a pretty good workout. 

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #3648 on: March 04, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »
Flame, I've been running again for a couple weeks, but nothing longer than 4 miles. I've been thinking about training for longer runs. Any advice? How many days a week do you run?

dur

« Reply #3649 on: March 05, 2012, 07:21:40 AM »
Flame, I've been running again for a couple weeks, but nothing longer than 4 miles. I've been thinking about training for longer runs. Any advice? How many days a week do you run?

When I started I signed up for a 5K and then a bunch of 10Ks. I ran 2 times a week to train for the events. My plan was to just complete the milage. I didn't worry about stopping, walking, or resting during the run. My goal was just to get the distance under my belt.

My advice for you is to sign up for some 5Ks or 10Ks and just do them. Running is not an all or nothing thing. So many people I talk to, don't realize you are allowed to walk. Just getting out there and doing a 10K is more than most people do on a Sunday morning.

All that being said, the only reason I run is to train for Triathlon. It's my weakest part by a large margin.

« Reply #3650 on: March 05, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »
I've never heard anyone say that before. It's not true.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3651 on: March 05, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
What if you walked faster than someone running?

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3652 on: March 05, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
that's why you couch the truth in your language

"i just did a 10k!"

doesn't mean you ran 10k
Tonya

« Reply #3653 on: March 05, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
What if you walked faster than someone running?

:lol
I remember some big football player at my gym was giving me "advice" forr running. I guess he learning in HS football how to look like you were running without actually running by bobbing your shoulders up and down and making the football pads move dramatically. I guess he could say he ran a 10K...

that's why you couch the truth in your language

"i just did a 10k!"

doesn't mean you ran 10k

« Reply #3654 on: March 05, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
I've never heard anyone say that before. It's not true.

Woah now, that's a pretty big logical leap you just made there.

Okay let me put it this way. I am a part of a large local running group. I've done a number of races ranging from 5K to Marathons. Most of which had some walking involved. I've never had a conversation go down like this.

Me: I just ran a 10K!
Runner: Cool did you walk at all?
Me: Yeah I walked for a bit after the 4th water stop.
Runner: You CANNOT say you ran a 10K!!!

« Reply #3655 on: March 05, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
You just did. dealwithit.gif

Edit: Honestly, though, I don't know how you can give someone long distance running advice that is basically, "When you get tired, just walk. That's what I do!"

Because I have encountered countless numbers of people who use that as an excuse. Oh, I could never do that without walking.

Maybe you are right. Better to just sit at home and think about doing a 10K than to attempt it.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3656 on: March 05, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »
You just did. dealwithit.gif

Edit: Honestly, though, I don't know how you can give someone long distance running advice that is basically, "When you get tired, just walk. That's what I do!"

Well, on a certain scale -  that is how humans cover long distances the fastest. YOU dealwithit
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3657 on: March 05, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »
Cormac, so what do you think about my idea of training like I'm preparing for a NBA or NFL combine?  Too much for a recreational athlete?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3658 on: March 05, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »
Sounds like fun but i suspect it will take a lot more time, money and energy than you have available. All I know about that kind of training is what I read in Tim Ferriss' book (the chapter about hacking the NFL combine mostly). If they'll take you on, I say go for it and tell us how you do. At the very least it will be an interesting failure.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #3659 on: March 05, 2012, 09:14:33 PM »
Sounds like fun but i suspect it will take a lot more time, money and energy than you have available. All I know about that kind of training is what I read in Tim Ferriss' book (the chapter about hacking the NFL combine mostly). If they'll take you on, I say go for it and tell us how you do. At the very least it will be an interesting failure.