Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809853 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: FitnessBore - 2012 edition
« Reply #4500 on: November 09, 2012, 08:51:19 AM »
I have a pair of vibram new balance shoes on right now.

great in rainy weather
Tonya

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4501 on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »
I desperately need some new shoes. I've been wearing the same pair of 60 dollar Nikes since I started working out 5 months ago. Probably have 150 miles on them, at least.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4502 on: November 15, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »
Have DOMS in my forearms for the first time ever. I feel like a gimp at work.

Takuan

« Reply #4503 on: November 20, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
So how much of a difference do legit runners make over a pair of basketball shoes for running on the treadmill?

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4504 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
Personally, I think it makes a world of difference. Especially if you intend to run for more than 10 minutes a go.

Not only the weight difference between the two types of shoes but how they are constructed can mean the difference between feeling shin splints, joint fatigue, foot soreness or feeling nothing at all.

Takuan

« Reply #4505 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
Personally, I think it makes a world of difference. Especially if you intend to run for more than 10 minutes a go.

Not only the weight difference between the two types of shoes but how they are constructed can mean the difference between feeling shin splints, joint fatigue, foot soreness or feeling nothing at all.
Gotcha. I don't do much running, as was probably evident from my question, but I may need to in the near future. Gettin' all kinds of soft in my old age and it's not a hot look.

I'll pick up a pair the next time I'm at a Nike outlet.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4506 on: November 20, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »
The most important thing is just to do it. Don't let a lack of shoes stop you from getting active again.  Running with b-ball shoes >>> not running at all.

Takuan

« Reply #4507 on: November 20, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »
How much did Nike pay you for that subliminal? ;)

Yeah, I mean, I play basketball with a group of fairly serious friends, but we ran into permit issues and I haven't played at all since early summer. Will be playing Sunday, so I'll get my cardio in.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4508 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36:57 PM »
DO you guys go all out on Thanksgiving or do you try to still retain throughout your diets?
Luckily for me I don't really like turkey so I don't splurge out on that, and i'm kinda "over" potatos and gravy and stuffing so...just greenbeans for me :V
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4509 on: November 20, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
DO you guys go all out on Thanksgiving or do you try to still retain throughout your diets?
Luckily for me I don't really like turkey so I don't splurge out on that, and i'm kinda "over" potatos and gravy and stuffing so...just greenbeans for me :V
There's nothing wrong with turkey.  Go nuts.  I'll try to stay as close as possible but I'm not going to deny myself certain things on a holiday as long as it's within reason.  I'm not saying to down a tub of cool whip but if there's a piece of pie and I want it, why not? 

Edit: Also, personal milestone for me today.  After working out I passed a mirror on my way to the shower and noticed my top 4 abs sticking out.  Felt pretty good. 

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4510 on: November 20, 2012, 04:47:48 PM »
:bow congrats

I was just wondering if you guys adapted your holidays to your diets, introduced new dishes etc
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4511 on: November 20, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »
:bow congrats

I was just wondering if you guys adapted your holidays to your diets, introduced new dishes etc
Thanks!

Since I don't do the cooking for holidays I just stick to it as close as possible.  But I'm definitely a bit more lenient.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4512 on: November 20, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
http://chriskresser.com/3-tips-for-preventing-holiday-weight-gain-and-why-its-so-important

The short version: Most of the fat gained by Americans goes on in the holiday period, and most of it never comes off again despite dieting. If you're going to avoid that you need to be really careful with parties and cheats.
vjj

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4513 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:09 PM »

Luckily, I will be at a party that also has honey ham as an option. :drool

My general rule for parties is to eat whatever but make sure that the majority of what I intake is protein or veggies.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4514 on: November 21, 2012, 05:33:13 AM »
I managed to con everyone into going to Brazilian BBQ for 'Thanksgiving' this year so I'm good :drool
vjj

Takuan

« Reply #4515 on: November 21, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
I managed to con everyone into going to Brazilian BBQ for 'Thanksgiving' this year so I'm good :drool
Oh god. Brazilian BBQ is one of the reasons life is worth living.

« Reply #4516 on: November 21, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »
I did Ironman Arizona last weekend. I was a full hour faster than IMTX. I didnt do much training since schooling really got ahold of me this semester. I'm taking a break off from triathlon for a bit and going to focus on my long distance running. I'm doing the Austin marathon in February with a goal of less than 4:30.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4517 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
congrats on the improvmenet mang. toughest man / iron mans still sound so fucking fun but i can't even fathom how hard they must be.

USA

« Reply #4518 on: November 23, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
Its more mental than physical. After doing 2, I really dont think they are that hard if your goal is just to finish. I'm not gonna do another full Ironman until I can train for real and get below 12 hours.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4519 on: November 26, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
I think tomorrow I am going ot give up marijuana because I'd like to follow my dads footsteps and become a police officer. I was looking up their requirements which all seem pretty easy except you have to be clean for 12 months. Good bye my friend.  :usacry

I think setting next November as a goal to enter the "academy" if there's any job openings will be good. I'm excited!
USA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #4520 on: November 27, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »
Boogie and Methoditis: Bore's finest.

damn straigh---wait, what?!
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4521 on: November 27, 2012, 04:27:47 AM »
mmm friendly fire
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #4522 on: December 02, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
Please don't kill me for asking this question if I've asked this before, but do push ups actually make your arms bigger?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4523 on: December 02, 2012, 08:19:12 PM »
Define 'push-ups' and 'bigger'
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #4524 on: December 02, 2012, 08:54:07 PM »
Define 'push-ups' and 'bigger'

Uh...standard, two handed push ups, I guess? The kind they make you do in jr. high and high school P.E.?

And "bigger" defined as...bigger? More muscular, I suppose? Come on, work with me here, dawg.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4525 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »
bad questions are hard to answer. Some value of <push-ups> will make your arms some value of <bigger>. What you are really asking is 'Will the number of push-ups I am prepared do make my arms as big as I want?', and the answer to that is 'no', because, like the invention of Facebook, if you cared enough to do the push-ups, you'd have done the push-ups
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #4526 on: December 02, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »
bad questions are hard to answer. Some value of <push-ups> will make your arms some value of <bigger>. What you are really asking is 'Will the number of push-ups I am prepared do make my arms as big as I want?', and the answer to that is 'no', because, like the invention of Facebook, if you cared enough to do the push-ups, you'd have done the push-ups

Hey, I've been kind of lazy about it, I'll admit. But I want to get back to it, assuming I wouldn't just be wasting my time.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4527 on: December 02, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
I'm not judging. But everyone in the world knows how to do push-ups so I assume you have tried, and met various other people who have also done push-ups. What results did you observe? Like with cooking, it makes more sense to just go ahead and try it rather than wonder if you'll like the results.

Your time wouldn't be wasted if you are not doing anything like that right now. You'd get stronger for sure even if you didn't get bigger. Returns will of course diminish (I think it's pointless trying to more than 30 or 40 push-ups personally....it turns into endurance rather than strength). Being able to do some number of push-ups is a decent benchmark for strength but not so much a good way to achieve it, unless you are in prison etc. and have no access to weights. If you just want to get bigger, well, read a bodybuilding mag or website and count how many people advocate doing push-ups.
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #4528 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
Cool beans. Thanks.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4529 on: December 03, 2012, 02:44:27 AM »
I did this for a laugh on Facebook but it's actually not a bad way to convey a bunch of useful information i think -

Give us this day our daily allowance of no more than 30 grams of gluten-free carbohydrate,
And forgive us our glycogen debt,
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil unless it be in the post-workout window wherein we can benefit from non-insulin-mediated glucose transport systems
vjj

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4530 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:09 PM »
Broke some personal records this past week. OHP - 145, Squat - 325, Bench - 225. I could probably bench more, but I don't usually feel like bothering someone for a spot. I've quit pushing myself on dead lifts. I was doing work sets of 300+ but it was completely ruining me for the rest of my workout. Now I just do 245 withe good form.

I've been lazy and have cut out a lot of cardio, so it's no surprise I have more energy/str.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:48:43 PM by ToxicAdam »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4531 on: December 09, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »

What do you guys think about simultaneously cutting fat and gaining muscle? Realistic, or no?
I saw (and responded to) your post on GAF. You're still getting newb gains so yes its very possible. Its also possible after newb gains too but its not as fast and much more difficult. You'll need to be really strict with your diet. Try carb back loading or going full on paleo. That's what worked for me.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4532 on: December 09, 2012, 10:55:10 PM »
CBL continues to work like a crazy dream for me, especially after doing a full week of ultra low carb (less than 30g of carbs a day). I am as big and strong as I've ever been but also as lean as I've ever been.

And the backloads! Oh the backloads! I should post a few pics of the amazing carbiness for y'all. Even avoiding gluten completely, you can have some serious fun.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4533 on: December 09, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »
Yeah I do back loading every once in a while when I wanna switch it up from my typical low carb. It is very satisfying emotionally haha  I just tend to develop self control issues after a few weeks and find myself thinking about breaking a lot. It definitely works though

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4534 on: December 09, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
I did a few posts about CBL a while back but have been reluctant to say anything too definitive/conclusive until I ran it for a few more months. I've been doing it since early September. The key concepts are -

- eat carbs at night after heavy weight training to stimulate muscle growth
- fast during the morning to stay in a fat-burning state, eat ultra low carb prior to training
- on non-training days, fast in the morning, eat ultra low carb the rest of the way
- proactively use supplements like coffee, whey protein isolate, coconut oil, creatine, leucine etc to optimize the various hormonal effects triggered by the above

Once you get it all figured out, it's almost magical, especially combined with what I already consider a healthy diet (using Paleo-friendly ingredients; hopefully no need to rehash that for this thread).

It actually leverages the morning shot of cortisol your body produces on waking to positive effect, as well as the insulin spike produced by eating carbs (to prevent catabolysis of muscle). This alone would have some fairly significant positive effects, but when you combine it with heavy weights,  you get some serious leverage thanks to the glut-4 transport mechanism. This is where you get into the realms of the previously-unthinkable. Even though you may have released a bunch of insulin post-carb consumption, the insulin-mediated transport does not occur in the post-workout interval. Instead glut-4 whisks the resulting glycogen off to the muscles, bypassing fat storage mechanisms. <insert choir of angels singing in rapturous joy>. So yes, you eat like a pig, charge up your metabolism (preventing the thyroid downregulation that occurs after days of ultra low carb...), sleep like a baby and wake up recovered and more ripped than you were the night before (although you will take on a bunch of water along with the carbs, that disappears again when you go ULC again).

In practice, this is crazily easy for someone like me to implement. I know how to eat ultra low carb, although i don't like to do it for long - no-one really does. I like to lift heavy weights. I like to eat potatoes and rice and ice cream sometimes too! So when I workout, i backload. When I don't workout, i continue to eat ultra low carb. Either way you are working towards one of your goals - either gaining lean mass, or stripping off body fat. I'd imagine if you did something like this in your teens or 20s, you'd see some amazingly fast results. Even for an old fart though, it still works amazingly well, and appears to be something you can just do indefinitely. (With the proviso that it's a cutting edge protocol so nobody much has actually been on it longer than a year or two, and they're all bodybuilders on 'roids who don't eat for health or longevity, only performance).

There are some little 'gotchas' that can derail this however.

- you should avoid fat in the first backload meal. I was eating normal meals for a while, with carbs. Didn't work so well. Now I eat a couple of ripe bananas (overripe is better as they are sweeter) then a full meal an hour or two later (i.e. rice and beef stew or curry, meat and potatoes), then a snack with fat and carbs before bed (ice cream/yoghurt, banana and cinnamon work well here).  These all have separate purposes designed to stimulate sharp spikes of insulin for growth/prevention of catabolysis and to avoid fat storage. My advice is do it as written

- it works better with a few sprint/Crossfit/HIIT-style workouts throughout the week for glycogen-depletion. You will enter the fat-burning state faster and for longer with a few of these in your schedule. I use kettlebells for this.

- don't fast too long. I try to put something in my piehole every hour or so while fasting - coffee, shake w/WPI, coconut milk and creatine, more coffee, more shake til i get to noon-2pm when i have a light meal. Usually an omelette or bacon and eggs. I got better results when I stopped treating this as my main meal of the day. Calories should be later in the day, all the time.

- also, depending on how you eat normally, an extended intro ULC period definitely helps. I put this off for the first month or so but after I did, things really seemed to click. A friend of mine lost 5kg - plus in this week.

If you want to do this without the weightlifting, just do a single night per week of carb binging, and stay ULC the rest of the way. The morning fasting / shifting calories to the evening as much as possible still applies.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:29:26 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #4535 on: December 09, 2012, 11:54:19 PM »
Cormac, are crunches or sit ups a better way to develop your abs?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4536 on: December 09, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
go on, post a TLDR gif i double triple dare ya
vjj

« Reply #4537 on: December 10, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »
Got off the milk.

My daily protein quota will take a hit, but I'm tired of the bloated stomach, the farting, and the sluggishness that comes from drinking it.

drew

• sy
« Reply #4538 on: December 10, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
Cormac, are crunches or sit ups a better way to develop your abs?

i know you didn't ask me but sit ups might fuck up your back. just make sure you not only do normal crunches but the side crunches where you rest your ankle on top of the opposite knee and raise your elbow to your raised knee, repeating with the other side.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4539 on: December 10, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »
The problem I would have with CBL is that with my schedule, it works best if I lift in the morning around 7am. I could switch to nighttime lifting, but it would be pretty inconvenient, and it would also take longer because the gym on campus gets super packed in the evening. Would it be really beneficial to make the switch, or can I make this nutrition schedule work with morning lifting?
I lift at 7am and CBL works on that schedule.  I just tend to make the meal immediately following lifting carb heavy and taper off the rest of the day.  And on your rest days do strict low carb.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4540 on: December 10, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
Mups -

err, that's not how you do it at all (although I understand that eating carbs after lifting is what your body is screaming for...and you love dem burritos :lol). You are supposed to backload the night before (to fill up the muscle glycogen stores for lifting, which apparently is a thing even though heavy lifting is not glycolytic...)

Here's the man himself on the topic -
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:43:54 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4541 on: December 10, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »
Ah well shit. I got some bad advice on GAF haha  because I asked the same question awesome-o did since I train in the morning and that's the advice I got.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4542 on: December 10, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
:wag

People love carbs, man. They cannot be trusted on that subject.

Then again, the way you are doing it would likely have some positive effects, but far from optimal. It breaks the fat-burning process, for a start.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:47:33 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4543 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »
Yeah. I still lost fat but not as quick as strict low carb. The positive aspect was that it reversed strength losses when I encountered them on my fat loss journey.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4544 on: December 10, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »
There are definitely a lot of different routes you can take with it but from my experimentation, doing it exactly as Kiefer describes is optimal.

I understand why people like to get their workouts out of the way early, but will never understand waking up at 5 or whatever to do them. From a fitness standpoint, the sleep is more important, and easier. I do mine 4-6pm now, and use the lunch break for walks instead
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4545 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »
Growing up I always heard its better to exercise on a empty stomache as you're burning off pre-existing stuff and not new stuff. Is that not true?

I work out at night anyways.
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4546 on: December 10, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
Growing up I always heard its better to exercise on a empty stomache as you're burning off pre-existing stuff and not new stuff. Is that not true?

I work out at night anyways.

I guess it's folk wisdom because there is a large germ of truth there, that science now supports. Eating before a workout is largely pointless due to the time it takes to actually digest most food. Working out on an empty stomach has various positive benefits. Even just walking on an empty stomach has some nice effects. You still retain most of those benefits by just going ultra low carb (and probably even moderate calorie) pre-workout though.

One cool thing about Kiefer's methodology is that it leverages a bunch of little easy-to-implement benefits that stack up to something significant over time. For a given day or week, you won't notice much of a difference from working out in the p.m. vs in the a.m. Over a couple of months, you will get a decent advantage by doing so, and basically for 'free', i.e. no additional effort on your part.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4547 on: December 10, 2012, 10:48:41 PM »
There are definitely a lot of different routes you can take with it but from my experimentation, doing it exactly as Kiefer describes is optimal.

I understand why people like to get their workouts out of the way early, but will never understand waking up at 5 or whatever to do them. From a fitness standpoint, the sleep is more important, and easier. I do mine 4-6pm now, and use the lunch break for walks instead
I go to bed early anyways. I never get less than 8 hours of sleep.  I also live ten minutes away from my job so that's easy too.  And morning work outs give me energy too. I am sleepy as hell all day if I don't work out first thing.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4548 on: December 10, 2012, 10:49:43 PM »
well nobody here is in the least defensive
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4549 on: December 10, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »
I actually envy you who live in cities and actual towns. I feel super sedantry and now that I'm unemployed again for a few months and the snow is coming I don't know what to do to stop me from sitting most of the day playing video games.  :'( :'(

Should I maybe work out like every few hours? I'm kinda limited in what I can do because it takes 45 minutes to get to any real town with stuff to walk around and do, and I can't do my runs or sprints anymore because of the fukkin snow. I considered snow shoes but they're like $300 for a pair lolmfw
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4550 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »
well nobody here is in the least defensive
*shrug* just giving my whys

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4551 on: December 10, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »
if i want your whys i'll ask for them

now get down and give me 50
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4552 on: December 10, 2012, 11:46:57 PM »
Methodis - i guarantee you there are millions of cubicle-bound citydwelling fitness fiends out there who would KILL to be out in the country during winter. Go split some logs or some shit! Like yer Daddy done did!
vjj

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4553 on: December 11, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »
I would buy a weighted vest and run stairs in my house.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4554 on: December 11, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »
if i want your whys i'll ask for them

now get down and give me 50
Hell no.  I'm too busy eating donuts, rice, cheetos, cake, pie, chocolate, pudding and doritos.   mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4555 on: December 11, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
i have a kettlebell in my cube. i look at it and think "cormac would be proud!" (then i think "he's a fuckin' smartass, fuck him") and i do swings/squats and people mock me

point is: there's really no excuse to be sedentary if you don't WANT to be. go find a heavy object and squat it or lift it while you watch the tube. it's that simple.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:07:10 AM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

hampster

« Reply #4556 on: December 11, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
I actually envy you who live in cities and actual towns. I feel super sedantry and now that I'm unemployed again for a few months and the snow is coming I don't know what to do to stop me from sitting most of the day playing video games.  :'( :'(

Should I maybe work out like every few hours? I'm kinda limited in what I can do because it takes 45 minutes to get to any real town with stuff to walk around and do, and I can't do my runs or sprints anymore because of the fukkin snow. I considered snow shoes but they're like $300 for a pair lolmfw

Ever since Rocky IV I've refused to work out in anything but snow!
Zzz

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4557 on: December 11, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »
Methodis - i guarantee you there are millions of cubicle-bound citydwelling fitness fiends out there who would KILL to be out in the country during winter. Go split some logs or some shit! Like yer Daddy done did!

if only I had a wooden furnace  :'(

:)

i forgot I could hike the trails again since hunting season would be over. I'll probably do that :)
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4558 on: December 11, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
Who says you have to burn them? Chop them and give them to an old lady or something. Win-win
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4559 on: December 11, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
I want to see pics of Prole's cubiclebell
vjj