Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809873 times)

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
Re: FitnessBore - 2012 edition
« Reply #4740 on: January 16, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »
 WELL I WAS UNINFORMED UNTIL NOW!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-[
[close]
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4741 on: January 16, 2013, 01:59:44 PM »
and how are you pooping without veggies???

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4742 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »
Fish oil is about the only supplement I take.  When I first started working out I had all sorts of powders and pills.  But when I get serious on nailing my diet I realized I didn't need any of that shit and coincidentally I felt better and the weight really started to come off. 

The only two supplements that I ever felt really did something were fish oil and ZMA. And ZMA just made me feel more rested when I wasn't getting the proper amount of sleep.  It also makes you have some nutty dreams.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4743 on: January 16, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »
what does arginine do
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4744 on: January 16, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »
oh ok gotcha. thanks.

I just take Fish Oil, Vitamin D, and a diaretic. Diaretic made me lose ALOT of weight real fast but I get extremely light headed. Oh well.
USA

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #4745 on: January 16, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »
I pretty much just stick to Fish Oil Omega 3 - but I've added some multi-vitamins as I'm not sure just what's getting flushed out with all this water coming out of me. Can't hurt (within reason of course)
___

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4746 on: January 16, 2013, 07:37:58 PM »
yo Groogrux, you may be missing the key caveat with that 30g of carbs a day figure - it is your EFFECTIVE carb total, minus fiber (since the fiber takes so much energy to digest). You subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs to get the effective carb total (even the Atkins dieter do this IIRC). Thus, fibrous veggies are something you can safely eat in considerable volume.

(that is not to say that I would recommend going out of one's way to introduce extra fiber into the diet, as the current conventional wisdom seems to be...that's as insane and pointless as chewing on a stick)
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4747 on: January 16, 2013, 07:46:42 PM »
People usually go one of two ways on vitamins, but if you need to take a lot of vitamins to supplement your diet, something is wrong with it.

It is really tough to get enough Vitamin D with most modern food sources. This may not be a prob for people living in Oklahoma of course, if you are outdoors often enough. And there is some evidence recently that the need for Vit D may vary much more widely according to genetics - i.e. Scandinavian populations naturally require less Vit D because they use it more efficiently. So the blanket recommendations to take so many IUs daily may be offbase. Still, it's cheap and really hard to overdose on to the point where it becomes harmful so I always take it when i don't get out for a walk or whatever that day, or it's heavily overcast.

So maybe we could rephrase your statement to say that '....something wrong with your diet and lifestyle'...i'd say the same for people who are taking stuff to help them sleep better. In some cases you may genuinely be dealing with some deficiency (magnesium or selenium or whatever) but in most cases it's just because people don't go to bed at the right times, are not active enough during the day, don't sleep in a dark or quiet enough room, drink too much, are too stressed, play lots of games or watch movies just before bed etc...
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4748 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
cormac when you use your kettlebell do you wear gloves or are your hands like calloused to the point where they don't blister up anymore?
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4749 on: January 16, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
the latter, but you always need to be careful. Use chalk and try to keep the calluses down...the larger they are the more likely they are to rip off. Gloves are fine to use occasionally if your hands are hurt but they'll hurt your grip strength. You also need to polish the KB handles with sandpaper to get them as smooth as possible. If they came painted, sand that shit off ASAP.
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4750 on: January 16, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
Ahhh I didn't even think of chalk. Alright cool thanks bro.
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4751 on: January 16, 2013, 09:04:48 PM »
It'll also take a while before you get comfortable with the amount of grip to use. There is a sweet spot between too firm and too relaxed. The more the KB is moving around your palm, the more it will hurt you. But the harder you grip, the faster you'll wear your grip out.
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4752 on: January 16, 2013, 09:05:03 PM »
Started going back to the gym two weeks ago, feels good man. Although today I got pushed over by this stacked as fuck woman during my workout. Was using the mirror. She was so hot as fuck she caught me off guard. She was moving a straight bench nearly right in front of me with no regard for where her ass was heading.

Cormac, what's your opinion on milk? I've been drinking 1/3rd of a gallon of whole milk everyday and found I was making good gains with milk in general when I used to work out.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:07:41 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4753 on: January 16, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
were muffins brought up
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4754 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
:rofl

I'd be her muffin SLAVE holy shit

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4755 on: January 16, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
how can i start talking about milk now
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4756 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
 :teehee

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4757 on: January 16, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
ahem

Milk is awesome for mass/strength gains but it's possible to get big without it, and next to IMpossible to avoid fat gain if you rely on it. Think of milk as cream diluted with sugar water. I think pretty much everyone other than those with hardcore dairy allergies (which are mostly lactose-based anyway so not so much a prob with cream...) can and should make cream a part of their regular diet. But milk is only for those interested in getting hyooge fast with no other considerations.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4758 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16:10 PM »
I suppose there are caveats now, since we have things like CNS and CBL to account for - milk is fine on a carb nite or a backload :drool As is ice cream :drool
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4759 on: January 16, 2013, 09:17:38 PM »
Ahhh I see. Yeah I'm not a skinny person so I'm weary of compounding the fat I already have. I guess right now I have to decide, as far as diet, do I want to put on the mass quickly with the fat that will come with it or toe a thinner line of putting on lean muscle and minimizing the amount of fat. I've nearly cut out all excess carbs though, I would consume way too much.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:19:18 PM by BlueTsunami »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4760 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:21 PM »
no point cutting down on carbs if you are going to be chugging 1/3rd of a gallon of lactose every day.

IIRC, you do a fairly traditional bodybuilding split...in which case Carb Backloading might make sense. Enjoy carbs while recomping, it is the dream. Otherwise, just eating unmeasured Paleo will likely be a big improvement if you eat more on the lower end of the carb scale
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4761 on: January 16, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
Sounds good, and on the paleo, I have to read more but as it stands I have already dramatically shifted the ratio of protein to carb consumption in favor of protein. The main issue in having now is consuming the amount of protein I want. Gonna have to hit the grocery a little more mindfully this weekend and from now on.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4762 on: January 16, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »
foraging is the first skill the hunter must learn, yes

don't forget to bag some muffins tho :teehee
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4763 on: January 16, 2013, 11:45:50 PM »

All the supplements you'll ever need.  Live strong, my friends.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4764 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:41 AM »
Gotta use that HCG to keep your little friends humming right.

I've recently seen signs all over my city advertising HCG for weight loss.  From my understanding it's sure as hell not safe for weight loss

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4765 on: January 17, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
ECA stack 4 lyfe ~~~~ (donjt do thsi)
USA

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4766 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:45 AM »
I was always interested in HCG when I heard you can consistently shoot Peter North like loads.

Not willing to get caught or arrested so it remains a fantasy for now.

Edit: ECA stacks are awesome and stocked up on a year's supply worth when ephedra/ephedrine was banned around 2004.  Don't get the shitty Ephedrine HCl 25 mg with 200 mg of Guaifenesin tabs as they're nowhere near as good or effective.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:31:02 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4767 on: January 17, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »
I was always interested in HCG when I heard you can consistently shoot Peter North like loads.

Edit: ECA stacks are awesome and stocked up on a year's supply worth when ephedra/ephedrine was banned around 2004.  Don't get the shitty Ephedrine HCl 25 mg with 200 mg of Guaifenesin tabs as they're nowhere near as good or effective.
You can get HCG legally unless your specific state has labeled it a class iii drug. 

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4768 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »
How do you buy HCG if its legal? Is it a prescription?
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4769 on: January 17, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
HCG is prescription, but you can obtain it legally as a research chemical.  It's the same way people obtain SERM's for the PCT.  They're prescription drugs, but allowed to be purchased legally as a research chemcial.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4770 on: January 17, 2013, 02:34:46 PM »
Thanks.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4771 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
I don't take ECA or HCG, was just wondering where it originitated.

I would take a PED though.
USA

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #4772 on: January 17, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
Tonight's my first "Carb Night" and I'm not hungry for carbs for the first time in almost 2 weeks. FML
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4773 on: January 17, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
After having a ridiculous craving for carbs last night I've decided on giving carb backloading a real shake with 5/3/1.    I don't feel like searching in here for details since I'm sure Cormac has gone over it, so I'll just buy that damn book  :P 

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4774 on: January 17, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »
Tonight's my first "Carb Night" and I'm not hungry for carbs for the first time in almost 2 weeks. FML

I know how you feel.  My next one is tomorrow night and I feel like I could take it or leave it.
WTF

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4775 on: January 17, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »

You can get HCG legally unless your specific state has labeled it a class iii drug.

Must be legal in my parts considering how there is a website devoted to the HCG diet in my state and apparently is located just a couple of minutes from where I live: http://www.hcgdesmoines.com/what-is-hcg.html
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4776 on: January 17, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
Next big thing in the minimalist/toe shoe world(?):

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/01/two-toe-shoes

Personally, I've always found toe shoes like Vibram 5-Fingers too ugly to take seriously, but I could see myself wearing these.

Those are cool. Yeah, Vibrams are tough to wear anywhere but the park or the gym, but you see dudes in two-toed tabi boots all the time here. All the visiting otaku are like OMG NINJA but they're almost always bricklayers :lol
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4777 on: January 17, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
start with bench first, cuz you can do a heavier weight with that

most people use dips as an accessory exercise to make their bench stronger

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4778 on: January 17, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
<3 dips

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4779 on: January 17, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »

Must be legal in my parts considering how there is a website devoted to the HCG diet in my state and apparently is located just a couple of minutes from where I live: http://www.hcgdesmoines.com/what-is-hcg.html
try it out and report back what does to your load

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4780 on: January 17, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
started trying 5/3/1 this week since you guys kept talking about it

either my stamina sucks because I don't usually rep more than 5 on a set or I play too much ball

I was only able to do 6 reps of 245 on my 3rd set of squats.  After that I dropped to sets of 10, starting with 205.  Each set felt crazy hard after the 7th rep and I had to drop further in weight after the 3rd set.

Another explanation could be that I did 5/3/1 deadlift on Monday when I DL 275  11  times and  did 5  sets of good mornings with 155lbs

I was gassed afterward and ate a whole pizza and order of pasta at California Pizza Kitchen.  The waitress was like WTF, where do you fit all that?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4781 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
i refuse to be impressed by someone's strength when lying flat on their back, unless i am making sexy with them
vjj

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4782 on: January 17, 2013, 11:09:28 PM »
From a convenience factor you can't beat the bench. Weighted dips are a pain.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4783 on: January 18, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
I wouldn't even bench if not for the fact that my friend thinks he's stronger just because he can bench more.  Once I beat him, I'm gonna move on.  Big pecs are pretty much useless for anything other than posing shirtless.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4784 on: January 18, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »
started trying 5/3/1 this week since you guys kept talking about it

either my stamina sucks because I don't usually rep more than 5 on a set or I play too much ball

I was only able to do 6 reps of 245 on my 3rd set of squats.  After that I dropped to sets of 10, starting with 205.  Each set felt crazy hard after the 7th rep and I had to drop further in weight after the 3rd set.

Another explanation could be that I did 5/3/1 deadlift on Monday when I DL 275  11  times and  did 5  sets of good mornings with 155lbs

I was gassed afterward and ate a whole pizza and order of pasta at California Pizza Kitchen.  The waitress was like WTF, where do you fit all that?
Are you doing the BBB variation or something?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4785 on: January 18, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
What's the BBB version?

I just followed Wendler's instructions to do as many reps as possible on 85% of my max.  I also use 90% as my max instead of my real max like he suggested. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4786 on: January 18, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »
So are you just doing drop sets for your accessory work or what? I'm just not understanding why you dropped weight and kept going if you were able to get 6 reps on your third set.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #4787 on: January 18, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
For squats, yeah

I was too lazy to switch to lunges or step-ups

6 just seemed kinda small, especially since I did at least 10 reps for both bench and DL on the last set

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4788 on: January 18, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
I had the same issue with squats.  I got to 7, but I hit 10 on bench and DL.  only 7 on OHP too.  I had never done lunges before so I threw those in as my accessory work.  Maaaaan, they fucking destroyed my legs.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4789 on: January 18, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
I was bored with simplefit, and I decided to check out these programs. Any of you guys got any experience with em?

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/
http://www.hundredpushups.com/
http://www.twohundredsitups.com/

I get bored alot. SO right now I usually do a 30 minute exercise bike, then all three of these programs (i'm actually quite good at non weighted squats now  :o) and then do some simple stuff with a kettlebell.

USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4790 on: January 18, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »
I haven't done a workout in a month, just thought i'd throw that out there. Still feel great, haven't gotten fat
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4791 on: January 18, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
If I was making my own food and didn't live with my parents I would do carb night, but as it is, she gives me enough shit eating low carb food already I imagine if I dropped it below 30 she'd pitch a fit. I've told her i'd make my own meals but she gets offended that I even suggest it  :-\     /en

but I like to stay a little bit active so :D don't think i'm not jealous of you carb nighters and carb back loaders though  :gloomy :gloomy
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4792 on: January 18, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »
how's that deadlift coming
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4793 on: January 18, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
Seriously, taking a bunch of time off is not a big deal and can be very beneficial. Doug McGuff defines fitness as the gap between the minimum you have to do and the maximum you can do (wider is better). The fitter you get, the longer you can go without doing much to maintain it. Not that I am a paragon of fitness but a month without working out doesn't seem to make any real difference to me at this point, and it helps with nagging injuries. I've always been upfront about me being the laziest guy in this thread - I'm all about maximum bang for buck and always will be. That's not to say i'm INACTIVE, I just haven't been doing 'workouts'
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4794 on: January 19, 2013, 12:11:47 AM »
I don't know if I'm mentioned it in here before, but I'm terrified of deadlifting.

I've been an EMT since 2008 and all they teach you is to never lift with the back.  When I see a deadlift performed, that's what I primarily see doing the lifting.  Any help/ideas for maybe breaking into this?
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4795 on: January 19, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »
last workout i did, i did 345lbs x5, without pushing too hard. I can do 350lbs for one or two for sure at 165lbs b/w. Then again, you are taller and thus at a biomechanical disadvantage. Long arms and short legs are good for DLs so it really is hard to compare across bodytypes.

I mean, when i work out I'm trying to improve, not maintain. It's just that I go through periods when I don't do much and it doesn't seem to make all that much difference. Back when I was just working out and not making any effort on the lifestyle/diet front, I would go to shit if I stopped training. Now I have diet, sleep, stress etc sorted out, and a decent base level of strength/fitness, it really seems like I have more latitude before my fitness starts to slide. That's the point I was trying to make.
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4796 on: January 20, 2013, 08:22:33 PM »
I attempted to do a half get up today with my kettlebell, got almost there when my arm trebbled and my kettlebell fell backwards bringing my arm back with it  :-X haven't felt that much pain in a long time lol
USA

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4797 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
Been trying carb back-loading and my skin is shrinkwrapping over my muscles. Holy shit.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4798 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
Uggggg...  Left early this morning and went out of town.  The kiddo and I were starving when we got an hour in, so we stopped at McDonalds.:yuck

I had an egg mcmuffin.  That alone was 30 carbs.  Then we had dinner while we were out and I went to a place (Red Robin) that had low carb options, but still, after all was said and done, my total carb count for the day was 86g.

Is this really going to fuck me, do I need to really stay below the carb radar tomorrow (i.e. no carbs at all), or should I not worry about it and just go back to normal?  My carb nite isn't for a few more days.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4799 on: January 22, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »
*tap tap tap* You're overthinking it.  Go back to your regular routine.  Remember to look at the big picture.  Who cares about the short term effects of your slip up?  Get back to your routine.  That's what matters