Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809749 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: FitnessBore - 2014 edition
« Reply #6540 on: July 16, 2015, 06:21:50 PM »
Just pee a bit. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6541 on: July 16, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »
I drink 2L of coke zero a day.  When I stop I lose like 4 pounds in water weight and my face looks less bloated.  Its disgusting but I can't stop.  Have to have coke just to get out of bed in the morning and get right. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6542 on: July 16, 2015, 06:32:38 PM »
Coke zero has no sugar so I will be immortal.

"[She would] go crazy if she ran out... she would get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy," her mother-in-law told the coroner's inquest last year, the BBC notes.

this is familiar though. 

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #6543 on: July 16, 2015, 07:27:24 PM »
Arvie would you like me to be your Mio Energy dealer?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6544 on: July 16, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
No thank you.  I don't touch the hard stuff.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #6545 on: July 16, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »
Everybody's doing it, maaaaan.

Kara

« Reply #6546 on: July 17, 2015, 03:06:19 AM »
Cracked 40 km/h on my own power (i.e. not going downhill) tonight. :preach

If the peloton won't stop Chris Froome, it looks like it's up to me. :bolo

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also managed to pace myself and build some endurance time but that's not as interesting. :idont
[close]

The update to Strava is ass BTW. Not MyFitnessPal ass, but I can't say I'm a fan of the mobo dev "fix it even though there's nothing wrong" mentality.

Beezy

« Reply #6547 on: July 17, 2015, 08:29:58 AM »
I used Strava for the first time in a while yesterday because I found a new bike path and it was acting like a piece of shit. Kept saying "data sync failed" when I tried to save my ride.

Kara

« Reply #6548 on: July 17, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »
You lose some information (iirc) but you can save a file on your phone in the app and then log in from a computer and manually upload it if that's not uploading. I had to do it once.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6549 on: July 17, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »
Just pee a bit.

What, you think you're talking to some amateur here?  I make sure to take a leak before every weigh-in.  :P

Only hit 181.6 post-workout today.   But I didn't go nuts, just 45 minutes of jiu-jitsu with a couple of coworkers (who, umm, aren't remotely on my level, so I don't break much of a sweat rolling with them), and then some strength training.   If I went with circuits and a run, I probably would have hit a pound or more lower post-workout, I imagine.
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6550 on: July 18, 2015, 04:34:05 AM »
It's so hot and humid in Japan right now that it's hard to motivate and do anything. Still:

Got to the gym three times and karate last week.

Got to the gym two times (because: typhoon) and karate this week.

Losing weight, feeling better; my elliptical work is benefiting from overall improved speed /and/ a lower heart rate.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6551 on: July 18, 2015, 03:01:09 PM »
Remember knowledge is power.
Read up and educate yourself on safe form and muscular balance.

Neglect hamstring compared to quads, knee problems.
Neglect post delts, posture troubles.
Neglect post delts and rotator cuff muscles, shoulder problems.
Bad bench press form, shoulder trouble.
Bad squat form, lower back issues and more.
And so on.

I've felt really fortunate to have been nearly completely injury-free for the past 3 years.

That's good, mayne... :fbm

I wish I knew about the risk of injury when I was younger. I was so fucking dumb thinking because I was 'young and healthy' the risk of injury is probably low. But I was sedentary as fuck. Going from sedentary to full active exercise is what is fucking dangerous. From what I gather, anyways. But I guess I have a recoverable knee injury so I guess I learned my lesson without anything really awful happening. Although there definitely is a chance my knee won't recover, but we'll see. I'm hoping to start running this year, and keep running indefinitely.

Might be better to explore less-rough-on-the-joints cardio activity in your case.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6552 on: July 19, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
It's been a while since I posted in this thread.

One of the things I started to do in the past month is juicing.  My fear is that I wasn't getting too many vegetables.  I usually would fix some vegetables with my eggs or meat but I was concerned that it wasn't enough.  As I've whined about before, making sure I age as gracefully I can is one of the key priorities I have for health now in my 30s yet I'm also lazy lol.  I figured juicing would help to fill in the nutrient gaps.

I'm very impressed with my experiences so far.  This is what I make with it daily:

- 5 big kale leaves
- 1 whole tomato
- 1 carrot, complete with carrot top
- 1/2 english cucumber
- 1/2 bag of spinach
- Two slices of jalapeno pepper (for a little kick)

This is the juicer I use: http://www.amazon.com/Omega-J8006-Nutrition-Center-Juicer/dp/B001L7OIVI

The taste is good (mostly because of the tomato) but my skin has really improved.  I used to have hangnails that are completely gone now and my skin looks great in general.  I also have a lot more energy and I sleep a lot better than I used to.  Could all be placebo effects but it's been going on since I started juicing and hasn't stopped.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6553 on: July 19, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
That's like half my daily food budget :(  veggies are expensive.

Kara

« Reply #6554 on: July 19, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »
Exp, when I started drinking nutrient gruel a lot of those same things happened for me too. The single man diet is super awful without some kind of nutrient supplements.

Rode today on less than 24 hours rest and it was pretty humbling. I had to leave my velo on the small chainring for most of the journey which is super embarrassing. :snoop

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6555 on: July 19, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »
The funny thing is that I was taking a multivitamin and I'd always take it with food.  Real food sources are always better and I guess this proves it, especially given the controversy about label claims a few months ago.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #6556 on: July 21, 2015, 12:14:47 AM »
Repeated my set from last Wednesday, 30 laps/12 in a row. However, this time I had an entire lane all to myself. :aah In fact when I got in there wasn't anyone else in the pool at all. :leon So much easier without having to worry about clueless people in your lane.

I gotta say though, now that I've done it properly, 12 laps in a row is no joke. :whew What's helping me is that I'm finally learning how to take it slow. You might think that's counterintuitive, but it's absolutely essential for conserving energy and being efficient when swimming. Until a few weeks ago it was a struggle trying to slow down - my natural rhythm is to speed up when I'm running slightly out of breath, which absolutely wrecks my form, causing me to lose more breath, etc. Quite the vicious cycle. Learning to slow down, take each pull and catch one at time, and keep my form has been essential in getting me this far.

Unfortunately ever since I started getting serious again back in May there's always some kind of joint or muscle annoyance in my arms. At first it was my right shoulder feeling like it was on fire after 5-6 laps. Now it's my left elbow, which I must have tweaked or something two weeks ago when I slid down some stairs at a bar (it was raining.) Hoping it goes away in the next week or two, it already feels a lot better since it happened. If it doesn't I'll hit up my doctor, her stretches for my neck/shoulder muscles immediately killed that fire on my right shoulder. :aah

Hoping to get in 4500 yards this week, but if I'm lucky I'll be able to get 6000 (up from 4800, my previous peak.)

On a related note, my jammers are starting to fade HARD. I knew the Y uses a toxic amount of chlorine that'd likely kill a baby otter, but damn. Gotta remember to wash my suit every time. Huge difference from the last time I wore it. I've only had this pair since April but it might be time to replace them... I'll definitely take much better care of my next pair.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:32:43 AM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #6557 on: July 21, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »
So yeah, got plastered on a friend's hard cider tonight and against most of my better judgments decided to go swim.

Another 1500 yards tonight. :rock

It was really the weirdest thing. Probably a combo of what I learned worked from my set last night, plus the cider slowing me down, made me just glide through the water and never lack for breath. Even on the 10th lap in a row I was getting a full lungs' worth. It was amazing. I also think the buzz made my elbow hurt less, which helped me stay undistracted and keep my form. And my form was sooooo good tonight.

Feeling so pumped right now. :punch

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6558 on: July 21, 2015, 11:13:23 PM »
Since November of 2013, I've lost 45lbs.  I am now at 142.  It's too thin, so I'm bumping my calories and protein up.
püp

Tasty

« Reply #6559 on: July 21, 2015, 11:15:33 PM »
Lol that's like my goal weight.  :-\

Need a lot of protein :aah

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #6560 on: July 21, 2015, 11:17:50 PM »
How tall are you BrandNew?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6561 on: July 21, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
That's disgusting skinny New and I'm jealous.  Pretty soon you'll be a spinner. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6562 on: July 21, 2015, 11:27:29 PM »
püp

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #6563 on: July 21, 2015, 11:45:23 PM »
I'm like your fat opposite then. Same height, reverse weight adjustment since 2013 :holeup

Looked best around 180 with muscle working out. Was told I was too skinny while in the 140-150s range looking twiggy and boy bandish (but at least I could fit in skinny jeans).

Rather be too skinny than overweight though. What's your goal weight?

Kara

« Reply #6564 on: July 21, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »
Dude cosplay as the guy from The Machinist, BN.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6565 on: July 22, 2015, 06:23:13 AM »
Since November of 2013, I've lost 45lbs.  I am now at 142.  It's too thin, so I'm bumping my calories and protein up.

You could also try lifting some weights.
MMA

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6566 on: July 22, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »

You could also try lifting some weights.

I'm doing so!  The last year has been mostly cardio with minor lifting during my in-between days, but I'm switching that up now.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6567 on: July 22, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »
I'm like your fat opposite then. Same height, reverse weight adjustment since 2013 :holeup

Looked best around 180 with muscle working out. Was told I was too skinny while in the 140-150s range looking twiggy and boy bandish (but at least I could fit in skinny jeans).

Rather be too skinny than overweight though. What's your goal weight?

I want to hover around 150-160.  I like my lean frame.
püp

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6568 on: July 22, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »
The big downside to keeping a lean look is that most people look gaunt in the face. Sickly.  Especially if you have high cheekbones and/or have wrinkles.

There's a sweet spot in weight where you get a little face puffiness but not the gut.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6569 on: July 22, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
Pretty sure New's face would be pretty regardless of weight. 

Tasty

« Reply #6570 on: July 22, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
The big downside to keeping a lean look is that most people look gaunt in the face. Sickly.  Especially if you have high cheekbones and/or have wrinkles.

There's a sweet spot in weight where you get a little face puffiness but not the gut.

What if I want to keep my high cheekbones and Euro-look though?  :-\

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6571 on: July 22, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »

I think my face there looks ok.  I like it a bit thinner.
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6572 on: July 22, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
You know that scene where the senator pushes his face though the bars in xmen?  Go for that look. 

Tasty

« Reply #6573 on: July 22, 2015, 02:30:15 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Such a happy smile :uguu

Such whack sunglasses though :holeup

Mac, help this fool out

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6574 on: July 22, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »
Wayfarers are wack?
püp

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6575 on: July 22, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »
They do give you a rectangle for a forehead. 

Tasty

« Reply #6576 on: July 22, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »
They do give you a rectangle for a forehead.

That's more the work of his haircut and giant forehead tho

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6577 on: July 22, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »

Well, you have a beard. It hides the gauntness.

I call it Kenny Loggins Chic.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #6578 on: July 22, 2015, 04:47:06 PM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 02:11:39 AM by Purrp Skirrp »

« Reply #6579 on: July 26, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »
Is there any downside/danger to working out 5-6 days a week?
I'm mostly taking it easy and I'd rather do more, shorter sessions than pushing myself to the limit a few times.
(Obviously not looking to get swole, just keeping a few pounds off).

Also, I realized that when I do bench presses, I realize that I'm struggling to keep my left wrist straight up, which I assume is possibly harmful. Any way to counterthat (besides using less weight)?

Kara

« Reply #6580 on: August 03, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »
Oh my god, I have a farmer tan AND a glove line tan. :anhuld

This doing stuff outdoors and during the daytime shit is for the diurnal birds.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6581 on: August 03, 2015, 04:24:54 PM »

Kara

« Reply #6582 on: August 03, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
Don't think of it as will power, think of it as taking your self loathing to the next level.

Tasty

« Reply #6583 on: August 03, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »
Don't think of it as will power, think of it as taking your self loathing to the next level.

:preach

Got pretty sick last week, so I totally slacked off. :goty2

Gonna rocket back this week though! :punch

Tasty

« Reply #6584 on: August 06, 2015, 11:17:28 PM »
Since I re-committed to swimming in May I've been keeping track of the amount of yards I swim per week. My "minimum" is to hit the pool four times a week, but in practice that minimum became three times (which I'm not really that happy about...)

Anyways, on my swim plan I'm up to 1500 yards a day. I've been stuck on it because I slacked off completely last week (in my defense, I was really sick and I had to take two days off from work that week.)

So, first day this week in the pool there was a massive storm that hit Boston. We're talking tornado warnings and actual hail that smashed car windshields.

(Not my pics.)

In typical New England weather fashion, the blue skies were back after about thirty minutes. However, 70% of the way through my set they blew the whistle and ordered us out of the pool because of "thunder." Whatever. After a nothing week, I was sort of relieved to be forced to take it "easy" the first day back in the water.

Second day I was meeting a friend for dinner and wasn't able to get the last 200 in. :( I was kinda struggling though, my form went to shit after just a week out of water. Ugh.

Then today I finally completed the whole set. My form was still kinda shitty but a little better. I kept pulling to the right for some reason, then realized I was catching much weaker on my left than right. I also kept "drifting" with my feet every other catch, and then like a motor on bad gasoline I "sputtered" back into rhythm.

Oddly I noticed some of my problems might be related to how deliberate my pace was. On the last two laps I said "fuck it" and went ham. I should have timed myself but it felt like I did 50 yards in 30s, which isn't close to competition times but it felt pretty damn fast.

I'm happy with myself because this is the second-most I've ever swam in a week, and I've given myself either Friday or Saturday to push that over the edge. It's likely I'll hit 5350 this week (A NEW RECORD!) :bow

Code: [Select]
       Day 1  Day 2  Day 3  Day 4  Day 5  Total
5/10   500    500    500    500           2000
5/17   700                                700
5/24   700                                700
5/31   700                                700
6/7    900    900                         1800
6/14                                      0
6/21   900    900                         1800
6/28   900    1000   1000                 2900
7/5    1200   1200   1200   1200          4800
7/12   1500                               1500
7/19   1500   1500                        3000
7/26                                      0
8/2    1050   1300   1500                 3850

As you can see I don't hit four times a week nearly as often as I should. If there's even one day during the week that I decide to go out with friends, then the likelihood of me hitting four times drops by like 90%. It's hard to motivate myself to go on the weekends because that's basically a trip to work in terms of commute, and half the pool is given to family swim on Saturday and Sunday (in addition to them closing early.)

I've done it, both times I hit four days was because I went on Saturday, but yeah, it's rough. :( Might do it Saturday, but I'm going out that night so I don't know...

I need to start going before work instead of after. If I can manage to do that, the chances of me hitting the water four times a week becomes close to 100%. Problem is, I'm not a morning person and never have been. I've gotten up for work twice this week an hour before leaving and that's pretty much all I can manage. I'd need to get up at least an hour earlier than that, if not an hour and a half, to be able to pull it off. But y'know, you gotta set goals for yourself. This is just another one I need to knock out.

Anyways. Just wanted to post some progress. Last week I noticed my stomach was slightly, slightly, slightly more defined. Starting out with super low body fat probably helps. :P Shame the summer's almost over and I'm only hitting my beach body image goal now. :( I'm also not nearly as tan as I wanted to be at this point.

Pretty much a cliche by this point, but this is deffo my anthem right now:

:punch

« Reply #6585 on: August 06, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »

Many PRs were made to this song a couple years ago. I preferred this version though:

https://soundcloud.com/thejanedoze/work-bitch-the-jane-doze-remix

Kara

« Reply #6586 on: August 06, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »
DATA DATA DATA :lawd

Tasty

« Reply #6587 on: August 06, 2015, 11:40:17 PM »

Many PRs were made to this song a couple years ago. I preferred this version though:

https://soundcloud.com/thejanedoze/work-bitch-the-jane-doze-remix

LOL I literally had like four tabs of remixes up when I was making that post. :lol

:rejoice Brit da gawd :bow

Good remix. I like this one:

Kara

« Reply #6588 on: August 07, 2015, 01:44:28 AM »
Due to reading an article, I've been experimenting with swapping cogs instead of gears when I hit the hills on my local bike path. While it's a little wonky in terms of the dramatic shift in cadence (it's sort of like falling off a cliff, tbh), I can eat the path for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or fourthmeal now. :punch My time to completion has been falling ever so slightly and my average speed has been climbing similarly too. :preach

Also I've lost 10 pounds since I broke through my plateau weight. :whew

Kind of hoping I can hit that sickly Chris Froome look instead of ascending to the physique of mai husbando John Degenkolb. :larry

Tasty

« Reply #6589 on: August 07, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
Kara :rejoice

Kara

« Reply #6590 on: August 07, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »
Is the new version of MyFitnessPal running like garbage for anyone? I'm glad that the nutrition page doesn't constantly refresh anymore, but searching for food in the database is now unreliable and I have to force quit the program sometimes now. I can't believe Under Armour tried to pimp their riding app off on me, Strava might not be perfect but it's light years more reliable than their releases.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6591 on: August 07, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »
Ya its slugish as hell

Tasty

« Reply #6592 on: August 07, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
5,350 yards! :rejoice

A NEW RECORD!

Was absolutely exhausted from work on the way in, so much so I thought I might skip tonight, but I held firm. Tonight's 1500 was smoother than the last three nights but still rough. I need more strength/stamina in my arms, so I'm considering adding weight training now. Been avoiding it as long as possible, but it might finally be time.

Gonna pass out now, kthxb-... :zzz

Kara

« Reply #6593 on: August 08, 2015, 12:02:37 PM »
I think I'm going to register for an endurance event at the end of the month. :goty2

I'm not so much worried about the distance (it's only 30% longer than my hard rides) as I am that they specifically state that reckless riders will be removed from the event + you'll be expected to obey stop signs and traffic lights. :sabu

Kara

« Reply #6594 on: August 14, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »
How much of a PITA is it to migrate Android phones? My carrier has left my burner to die at 4.2.2 and the Strava sanctioned Bluetooth heart rate and cadence monitors both require 4.3. (I refuse to Linux RTFM the upgrade to 4.3 myself, there's a reason I don't voluntarily use Linux. :rash)

I do a fuckton of business through my phone, which is why I'd prefer to just get a new one I can expense for tax purposes instead of paying 300+ USD for a cycling computer that I can't. :money

Also not sure if I'll reg for that ride. Missed some training days this week because I worked too much and my Mio Energy doping regimen of the past few weeks has caught up with me. :stahp

Quaker

« Reply #6595 on: August 14, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
Not an Android dude so I can't help you on migration but the Moto G just came out and has been getting great reviews. It's dirt cheap too.

Beezy

« Reply #6596 on: August 14, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »
edit: fail
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:43:05 PM by Beezy »

Kara

« Reply #6597 on: August 14, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KGA2P2/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1439594653&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Garmin+cadence&dpPl=1&dpID=41sK4K802EL&ref=plSrch

Just going to get this I think. The official Strava sensors come out to 100 and something alone and it'll be nice to be able to stat crunch without text messages.

Now to figure out how to justify this as a business expense...

Kara

« Reply #6598 on: August 21, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
I crunched the numbers and I unintentionally made a category 4 climb today. :leon

It was not my best effort or anything (I ended up in the easiest possible gear I could use less than halfway through the climb), and that's the lowest category climb they track, but it's cool to know I can sort of do something at that #ProPeloton level already. :obama

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6599 on: August 22, 2015, 08:09:30 PM »
https://i.imgur.com/RVWQWKK.jpg

does anyone know what program this is?