Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809693 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: FitnessBore - 2014 edition
« Reply #6600 on: August 22, 2015, 08:32:42 PM »
It looks like it involves tanning, on some level.

El Babua

« Reply #6601 on: August 22, 2015, 08:35:19 PM »
Re-vitiligo

Deadlifted 315*2 got the third attempt off the ground but let go when my form was immediately compromised and most of the weight went to my lower back.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6602 on: August 22, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
It looks like it involves tanning, on some level.

A soul tan. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6603 on: August 22, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »
Re-vitiligo

Deadlifted 315*2 got the third attempt off the ground but let go when my form was immediately compromised and most of the weight went to my lower back.

Be nice to your spine. As a guy who has compressed the gap between two vertebrae and sometimes gets trunk nerve problems because of it, I can vouch for spine kindness.

El Babua

« Reply #6604 on: August 22, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »
Re-vitiligo

Be nice to your spine. As a guy who has compressed the gap between two vertebrae and sometimes gets trunk nerve problems because of it, I can vouch for spine kindness.

Tell me about it. I've been having sciatic issues for the good part of the last two years after hurting my back prior. If anything feels like too much I err on the side of caution.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #6605 on: August 22, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »
Well just about outgrown my apartments gym, which is a nice feeling. But with how crazy my work schedule has been (and will be for the next year), the convenience of just walking 100 ft to the gym really can't be beat.

Not sure what my next move is, as I really see my self struggling to have the motivation to go straight to the gym from the hospital after 12 or 14 hrs of work.
dur

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #6606 on: September 27, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »
Performance enhancing drugs brehs. :preach

Today my body was like NOPE after yesterday but I took a bunch of analgesics with caffeine and BAM I was good to go. :punch

Quote this post when I'm driving down to Tijuana or something to get EPO prescriptions filled. :heh

FatalT

« Reply #6607 on: September 29, 2015, 08:46:51 PM »
FitnessBore, how can I make my butt bigger to improve my twerk game?

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6608 on: September 29, 2015, 10:47:47 PM »
More lordosis.
If it works for Instagram models...

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #6609 on: October 01, 2015, 11:39:58 PM »
Volunteer opportunity this weekend dried up and I'm thinking about riding with my city's local club instead. Could be really good for me, or really, really bad. :phil

BrokenVerses

« Reply #6610 on: October 03, 2015, 05:38:10 PM »
Do we have a vomit emoticion?

I went running today and well it has been a long, long time since high school XC.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6611 on: October 03, 2015, 05:50:02 PM »
Do we have a vomit emoticion?
Nah, but I got this one on hand:

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6612 on: November 29, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »
Bump.

Decided to change things up for the hell of it to end the year.

Leaving my 2x a week hockey, and 1-2x a week jiu-jitsu as my cardio, I decided to cut my running and circuit training in favour of focusing on bulking and building strength for a couple of months, which I've never really done.

I'm a month in, and really noticing a difference so far.

Prior to this bulk, my working sets were:
Bench: 3x5x215
Squat: 3x5x275
DL: 3x5x315

I had never really tested my 1RM for my lifts, other than remembering that I hit 400 lbs on deadlift a year or two ago.  Don't remember what my maxes have been on the others.

Today I hit 425 for 2 reps on DL, and 1 rep of 275 on my bench.  I think I may have had more in me for the bench, but didn't want to push it.  Didn't have the energy to test my squat after that.

Earlier this week, I had been doing sets of 5x315 on squat, 5x385 on DL, and 5x235 on bench.

I'm also enjoying not watching my diet at all and just pigging out. :lol

I think I'll keep this up until beginning to mid-January, and then try and cut back down and see how I look.  :-*
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6613 on: November 29, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Mid November to mid January is the perfect bulk season!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:42:30 PM by Mupepe »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6614 on: January 10, 2016, 03:16:23 PM »
Happy New Year, Fitness Peeps!

Time for the post-10-week-Bulk assessment.

Weight is currently around 200lbs even.  So that's up about 18 lbs from when I started.

For lifts, last week I did my 1RM attempts for bench and squat, and today I did DLs.

Bench:  285lbs.   Failed on my attempt to hit 300, which I'm kinda disappointed about.  I think I do have it in me.
Squat: 375.
DL: 455.   Belt-less, and went up quite easy.  Didn't feel like trying for more today.  I think if I started training with a belt, that 500 would be within reach there.

Man is it hard to look at the 10 months of discipline get wiped out in the span of 10 weeks though. :lol

Anyway, time to cut back down and get shredded! :punch
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:31:45 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Tasty

« Reply #6615 on: January 10, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
Thread title desperately needs an update. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #6616 on: January 10, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »
Thinking of doing 1/2 GOMAD for a few weeks in order to bulk up a little. Want to be far less skinny by May. Wish me luck brehs.

Also want to get this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1N0R6C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

2600+ reviews and 4.5-stars can't lie. I don't care about looking muscley but I do want more defined abs. :aah

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6617 on: January 10, 2016, 08:33:14 PM »
I can't wait till you try that ab roller and spray milk shit everywhere. 

Tasty

« Reply #6618 on: January 10, 2016, 08:37:11 PM »
I can't wait till you try that ab roller and spray milk shit everywhere.

I'll make sure to order some Depends with it. :aah

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6619 on: January 10, 2016, 08:37:43 PM »
Thinking of doing 1/2 GOMAD for a few weeks in order to bulk up a little. Want to be far less skinny by May. Wish me luck brehs.

Also want to get this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1N0R6C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

2600+ reviews and 4.5-stars can't lie. I don't care about looking muscley but I do want more defined abs. :aah
Abs are made in the kitchen. Ab rollers are good for working your core though.

I'm back to trying to control my diet. I was actually much stronger when I was on a strict diet. Strange. I would have thought I could Hulk the fuck out on a see food diet but I got a lot weaker.

El Babua

« Reply #6620 on: January 10, 2016, 08:39:52 PM »
Picking up swimming and heavy bag work for cardio this year.

Kinda stalled on my strength gains due to me not being as consistent, but hopefullyI can pick it up soon.

Tasty

« Reply #6621 on: January 10, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »

I mean I'm skinny AF so I'm not sure what I can do in the kitchen to help.

Nice! Do you know where you're going to start? Have you swam before?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6622 on: January 10, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »
This year I plan to become a beast and workout less.  These might be conflicting resolutions. 

El Babua

« Reply #6623 on: January 10, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »

Nice! Do you know where you're going to start? Have you swam before?
[/quote]

Learned to swim when I was a kid, but my technique is crap. First goal is to make it all the way, one way in the 1/2 Oly sized pool at my gym without having to stop.  :lol

Tasty

« Reply #6624 on: January 10, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
Learned to swim when I was a kid, but my technique is crap. First goal is to make it all the way, one way in the 1/2 Oly sized pool at my gym without having to stop.  :lol

One lap you mean?

That's a good goal, 50 meters is pretty long. When I started out I could only do 1.5 laps at a time (75 yards/68.58 meters) before getting winded.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6625 on: January 10, 2016, 09:16:55 PM »

I mean I'm skinny AF so I'm not sure what I can do in the kitchen to help.

Most people don't realize how low bf you have to get to have really defined abs. Not to mention simply being a little bloated can change the way they look really easily. I'm just saying cleaning up your diet along with whatever training you do is the ticket.

GOMAD is also probably counter productive to defined abs. 

Either focus on getting bigger with GOMAD and then do a clean, slow cut to see your bigger abs. Or clean up your diet, do your cardio and ab rolling for awhile and see if you still need to do GOMAD after 2 or 3 months.

Tasty

« Reply #6626 on: January 10, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
Sure, I wasn't expecting a miracle pill. Decreasing my body fat is something I've looked into but not super doable for me from what I can tell.

For now I'll work on ab rolling, I don't need the body weight until it's closer to the summer.

El Babua

« Reply #6627 on: January 10, 2016, 09:55:53 PM »

One lap you mean?

That's a good goal, 50 meters is pretty long. When I started out I could only do 1.5 laps at a time (75 yards/68.58 meters) before getting winded.

Yep! But I still sputter out before hitting one end, and sometimes stray towards the other lanes while swimming, so I gotta work on a lot.

Tasty

« Reply #6628 on: January 10, 2016, 10:10:16 PM »
Yup, totally normal. Don't get discouraged!

Personally I find it funny when runners or those who exercise in other ways decide to do a triathlon and they think the swimming part will be easy cause they're fit. :lol

Especially really muscly dudes. Those muscles hurt more than help!

« Reply #6629 on: January 11, 2016, 03:52:15 PM »
lol @ ab roller

I'm back on Fitocracy as I struggle to stay back on the wagon. If anyone is using it or wants to try it (gamify your workouts) add me:

https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/croissantfit/

Old FitnessBore group:

https://www.fitocracy.com/group/2848/

Tasty

« Reply #6630 on: January 11, 2016, 06:32:52 PM »
lol @ ab roller

2600+ Amazon reviews can't lie breh :yeshrug

Beezy

« Reply #6631 on: January 11, 2016, 10:26:06 PM »
Maybe I'll get back on fitocracy since I've been in the gym pretty regularly lately. I'm really lazy about tracking what I've done.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6632 on: January 12, 2016, 06:40:44 AM »
lol @ ab roller

True.  Plus, all the guys in the TV ad for it are REALLY ripped, so you know it works.

edit:  They even have BEFORE and AFTER shots in the product description!!!
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6633 on: January 12, 2016, 07:38:15 AM »
So this is day 10 of being strict on my diet again.  Stuff is fitting better already.  One difference I made on this go around is to stop weighing myself.  It became obsessive last time.  I just want to be strong and not fat.  fuck the ripped look.  It's just not realistic with my schedule right now.

Tasty

« Reply #6634 on: January 12, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
lol @ ab roller

True.  Plus, all the guys in the TV ad for it are REALLY ripped, so you know it works.

edit:  They even have BEFORE and AFTER shots in the product description!!!

Difference is TV people are marketing something to you, where as Amazon reviews are (mostly) people who actually bought and used the product.

You fail. :umad

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6635 on: January 12, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »
Tasty Meat, I'm just going to say that if Samson and Boogie are both telling you something, you should probably listen.  They are the guys that know what they're talking about.

And aside from that, I'll reiterate... The ab roller is not going to help you see your abs any better.  It will work your core, but it is not the most effective exercise and ab definition comes down to diet. 

Tasty

« Reply #6636 on: January 12, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »
Obviously less fat and sugar consumption is key but saying it's 100% diet is just plain wrong.

Please tell me which food I can eat to lower my body fat. I'm listening. :doge

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6637 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »
Obviously less fat and sugar consumption is key but saying it's 100% diet is just plain wrong.

Please tell me which food I can eat to lower my body fat. I'm listening. :doge
Wow.  I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling now or if you truly don't know what proper dieting is.

But here is my suggestion - low carb it.  There are tons of variations of low carb diets to choose from.  I personally gravitate towards paleo type diets since I have had great success with it. 

Dieting is not about "eat this magic food".  Dieting is sticking to an established system to reach an established goal.  The goal and system can vary.  For example, GOMAD is a diet.  However, you won't see your abs on GOMAD because it's a system for a different goal.

You should also reread my post.  Ab rollers are ineffective.  Do a proper compound exercise to work your core - like deadlifts - and you will see much better results building your abdominals. 

When I tell you abs are made in the kitchen it's not something I'm pulling out of my ass.  It's a common phrase because it's a common answer to a common question in these types of threads.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=abs+are+made+in+the+kitchen&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02

In short... It may be a combination of not having enough muscle mass and not having low enough bf, but it's usually the latter.  And you won't fix the former with an ab roller.

P.S.  You need to understand dieting to build muscle mass as well.

Tasty

« Reply #6638 on: January 12, 2016, 01:04:12 PM »
The question for me isn't ab roller vs. deadlifts, it's ab roller vs. nothing at the current moment.

As far as their inefficacy, I suppose I'll have to be the judge of that myself. I've always been 100% sure that there's other ways to workout that are more effective (of course, how could there not be?), but it's a small, cheap device with no real downside to using it. Hence my confusion at the derision from yourself, Samson and Boogie. "You're not actually working out if you use that thing" is the undertones I'm getting. Please.

As for diet, I don't believe you can achieve visible abs 100% through diet which is what I interpreted your posts as. "Abs are made in the kitchen." I can eat paleo until the sun comes home but I won't have abs without working out in some form. That was my overall point. I'm not downplaying the importance of good dieting, but I do believe you're overemphasizing it. Like all fitness, it takes a balance.

« Reply #6639 on: January 12, 2016, 02:30:09 PM »
it's ab roller vs. nothing

Ah, one of my favorites. The false dichotomy fallacy.

Tasty

« Reply #6640 on: January 12, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
It's not a false dichotomy for me, it's reality. :yeshrug I'm sure there are lovely alternative and better workouts, but nothing I'm able to commit a further amount of time to.

But keep :snob-ing it up about this, just means I'll keep quiet about future stuff I want to ask. You're obviously a workout god who knows it all. :snob

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6641 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »
Last bit of advice, take the 35 bucks and put it towards a cheap dumbbell set.  You'll be able to use it for more than a single exercise and you can do more effective exercises.  Use it for squats, good mornings and deadlifts to truly build your core. 

Or at the very least get a kettlebell and open yourself up to less conventional but a wider array of exercises. 

Both are small, cheap and require very little space to use.

Tasty

« Reply #6642 on: January 12, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »
Last bit of advice, take the 35 bucks and put it towards a cheap dumbbell set.  You'll be able to use it for more than a single exercise and you can do more effective exercises.  Use it for squats, good mornings and deadlifts to truly build your core. 

Or at the very least get a kettlebell and open yourself up to less conventional but a wider array of exercises. 

Both are small, cheap and require very little space to use.

See now this is actionable advice. Thank you.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6643 on: January 12, 2016, 03:52:21 PM »
Visible abs are 95% about diet.

It's a fools game though. The diet needed to get that shredded is not sustainable (nor healthy). Also, it makes some people more unattractive because their face is so gaunt.

Tasty

« Reply #6644 on: January 12, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »
Visible abs are 95% about diet.

It's a fools game though. The diet needed to get that shredded is not sustainable (nor healthy). Also, it makes some people more unattractive because their face is so gaunt.

Eh I'm skinny AF anyways, might as well leverage my gauntness a little.

And anyways I don't have unrealistic expectations. I don't want washboard abs like Spike from Buffy, I just want a little definition and tone.

« Reply #6645 on: January 12, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
You didn't ask anything, Tasty Meat. You just told us you were buying an ab roller and then vigorously defended something you've never used.

<----

Tasty

« Reply #6646 on: January 12, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
My first post about:

Implication being I'm asking for input, or I wouldn't have posted ITT.

Your response:

lol @ ab roller :snob

such help, much wow :doge

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6647 on: January 12, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »
Woah, actual discussion to unpack.

Tasty Meat, I'm just going to say that if Samson and Boogie are both telling you something, you should probably listen.  They are the guys that know what they're talking about.

Mups, I'm flattered, but I hardly think I'm Mr. Fitness Guru.  Shit, I think anything I really know about fitness and diet I learned from you guys on this thread over the years.  :-*

Anyhow, Andrex.  Notwithstanding the merits of the product or ab rollers in general, you said product reviews can't lie, and then I mocked the product's marketing.  You then seemed to concede the lame marketing, but then pointed again to the number of user reviews to validate the product.

If you can concede that a product markets itself specifically to people who don't know anything about fitness, using all of the traditional, well-worn bullshit tropes of the fitness-product industry, it is illogical to then turn around and use the numerous positive product reviews of the very same people who were gullible enough to bite on that advertising.

I'm not saying there's no place for ab rolling exercises in a workout regimen, but pointing to product reviews from people who don't know any better is not a convincing argument.

More generally, your goals are all over the place.  Last page, you wrote that for this year, you are thinking about doing "1/2" GOMADS in order to "bulk up a little" because you want to be "far less skinny."

And then you talk about getting an ab roller to try to get more ab definition.   While bulking.

And then Mups recommends some deadlifts for you.  And you say that you can't do them, it's an ab roller vs. nothing.  So you can't do deadlifts.   While.....bulking.

So your idea of "bulking" doesn't seem to involve any.....strength training.  Just.....eating more.

But you want abs. 

:dizzy
MMA

Tasty

« Reply #6648 on: January 12, 2016, 05:31:39 PM »
Oh for sure, I have two diametrically opposed goals: putting on weight and getting more defined abs. Both are important to me, but my post about GOMAD and bulking in general was more of a "further down the line" thing. Something I was looking into but not sold on, nor ready to pursue immediately. I apologize if I came off as hasty.

As for the ab roller, I was responding to your post that it's pure marketing. I felt you were making the point that they're a placebo, which triggered me to point to the reviews. There's no getting around that if it's a placebo, it's duped a lot of satisfied customers. I'm not saying it's a silver bullet but I hope you can concede that reviews are more trustworthy than straight-up marketing, and the sheer amount of them for this specific product gives it some credibility.

Yes, people are gullible and they tend to defend products they've bought - however, Amazon reviews are a great equalizer. If it was shit and didn't work, the reviews would be lower than 4.5 after such a large sample size. Compare that to any other product. Either thousands of people are deluding themselves as you imply, and this is an incredible circumvention of the Amazon review system by astrofturfers and fanboys on a scale unseen anywhere else on the site - or it seems to produce some results.

The overall point has been made, and I'm looking into alternative things, but I wasn't on board with the way that product was dismissed out of hand.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:35:43 PM by Tasty Meat »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6649 on: January 12, 2016, 07:56:45 PM »
someday I'll be able to do this
http://i.imgur.com/3kO0huc.gifv

Kara

« Reply #6650 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:20 AM »
LttP, but diet definitely matters, especially if your exercise is one that turns your body into a machine  (like swimming). I know you don't drive Andy-kun, but it's a similar principle. If I eat bad on a ride day I can barely do 15 km.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6651 on: January 13, 2016, 04:54:10 PM »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #6652 on: January 13, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »
Been doing low carb well for the most part. I also went from being sedentary to having an active job where I'm on my feet lifting things all day.

Down 10 lbs compared to a month ago.

My diet goal is 20 carbs or less as I'm trying to enter ketosis. Best I ever felt was when I was strict with a ketogenic diet. It may have been placebo, but there are a few studies implying an antidepressant effect. Also about a month in my skin was completely clear.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6653 on: January 13, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
I really want to do Keto but its so damn expensive and I love sushi too much.

« Reply #6654 on: January 13, 2016, 06:22:30 PM »
You could eat Sashima while in ketosis.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6655 on: January 13, 2016, 06:26:33 PM »
Sashimi is too expensive and not as good, but ya its an option.

Cutting out carbs, mainly pasta and bread have been my biggest weight lost events but I can't seem to ever get it down past like 50 carbs/pay so I dont get into kertosis. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6656 on: January 13, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »
Been doing low carb well for the most part. I also went from being sedentary to having an active job where I'm on my feet lifting things all day.

Down 10 lbs compared to a month ago.

My diet goal is 20 carbs or less as I'm trying to enter ketosis. Best I ever felt was when I was strict with a ketogenic diet. It may have been placebo, but there are a few studies implying an antidepressant effect. Also about a month in my skin was completely clear.

I'm the same. My mental health is in a nice balance when I'm on strict keto diets. I get stressed a lot easier when I fall off the wagon.

Beezy

« Reply #6657 on: January 13, 2016, 11:09:00 PM »
Sashimi is too expensive and not as good, but ya its an option.

Cutting out carbs, mainly pasta and bread have been my biggest weight lost events but I can't seem to ever get it down past like 50 carbs/pay so I dont get into kertosis.
You still drink a lot of soda, don't you?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: FitnessBore - 2016 edition
« Reply #6658 on: January 13, 2016, 11:12:25 PM »
Coke zero and I have cut it back to only 2L a day.  :tophat

Kara

Re: FitnessBore - 2016 edition
« Reply #6659 on: January 14, 2016, 03:17:06 PM »
Anotger nutrition thing, what you put in your body AFTER working out matters a lot. Not sure how sore you get after a long swim session Andy-kun, but if it's a making you hurt a lot try eating 10-15 grams of protein within 30 minutes of getting out of the pool. (You may need more or less, I'm just giving you my hour ride recovery amount).