Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809756 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: FitnessBore - 2016 edition
« Reply #6780 on: June 28, 2016, 02:35:12 PM »
275 after I got back from my last business trip. It probably is a little fast but I don't feel odd or lightheaded or anything so I think I'm okay. I have to see the doctor next week anyway so I'll talk to him about it then.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6781 on: June 28, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
8 pounds in your first week isn't surprising.  I usually drop 6 pounds every Monday when I drop the water weight from the weekend eating. 

Tasty

« Reply #6782 on: June 28, 2016, 04:09:48 PM »
and that ab carver thing that Tasty linked.

Nice! It's pretty legit, right?

What's your setup like? Been trying this one I found on Reddit:

4 weeks of 5 sets of 10 rollouts twice a week (Monday and Friday)
4 weeks of 5 sets of 20 rollouts twice a week (Monday and Friday)
4 weeks of 4 sets of 25 rollouts three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
4 weeks of 3 sets of 33 (last set 34) 5 days a week (Monday-Friday)
On week 2 of this one. 3 sets of 10 of standing rollouts twice a week (Monday and Friday)

I heard the left and right rollouts could do some serious harm so I've been somewhat avoiding them.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6783 on: June 28, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »
I just ordered it today so it'll be here Thursday. :D I actually was looking around for a schedule with it. How do you feel that setup is working for you? If it's good I'll just copy that.

Tasty

« Reply #6784 on: June 28, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »
It feels like a lot for me but I've rarely done dry-land exercises, haha. I'm sure you'll be fine. If I had been using it for longer I could tell you what's been working/not working but I only started using it last week.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #6785 on: June 28, 2016, 05:35:57 PM »
Good luck nacho, welcome to the pile of sweaty men. :cody

Biking is great for someone in your situation (you can do a lot more cardio than if you were jogging since it's comparatively low impact). I'd suggest thinking about an outdoor bike eventually so you get some rays too / get a more complete workout carrying your weight.

Tasty

« Reply #6786 on: June 28, 2016, 05:55:01 PM »

Biking is great for someone in your situation (you can do a lot more cardio than if you were jogging since it's comparatively low impact). I'd suggest thinking about an outdoor bike eventually so you get some rays too / get a more complete workout carrying your weight.

I've thought a LOT about biking since moving here, but the thing is...

Biking.

In Boston.

With Boston/MA drivers.

The thought terrified me so much I jumped into a pool for exercise instead, haha. But eventually I'll probably have to man up.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6787 on: June 28, 2016, 06:37:03 PM »

I used to be big into mountain biking since there are a ton of great trails in New Mexico. Then I got lazy and fat. But I still have the bike! However for the past few weeks its been 90-100+ outside and I'm a giant puss. Once the temps even out I'll do some outside biking for sure.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #6788 on: June 28, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »
You're not alone in that apprehension, Andy-kun. Bike Snob NYC (a blog I regularly read based out of New York) has given me a bit of pause and I have a longstanding death wish.

Cyclocross is big in Boston and that doesn't use public roads, if you want other (local) options. That's racing on a closed course with mixed terrain where you have to hop off your bike and carry it over your shoulder. It's pretty metal, actually.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6789 on: June 28, 2016, 07:12:43 PM »
Where in New Mexico, Nacho? I'm from Alamogordo.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6790 on: June 28, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »
I'm in Albuquerque

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6791 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
I love ABQ. You my bro, bro.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6792 on: June 28, 2016, 08:32:03 PM »
Glad to see another New Mexican around! If you're ever in town we can grab a beer :D

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6793 on: June 28, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »
I grew up in NM but I live in Houston now. I'll definitely be back your way often though!

Tasty

« Reply #6794 on: June 29, 2016, 02:42:36 AM »
You're not alone in that apprehension, Andy-kun. Bike Snob NYC (a blog I regularly read based out of New York) has given me a bit of pause and I have a longstanding death wish.

Cyclocross is big in Boston and that doesn't use public roads, if you want other (local) options. That's racing on a closed course with mixed terrain where you have to hop off your bike and carry it over your shoulder. It's pretty metal, actually.

On my way to/from work today I kept an eye out and there seem to be a decent amount of non-road options for biking near me. So I might take it up.

When I've saved enough for a good bike.

Which is after my new video editing/gaming PC.

Which is after Bore-con.

:stahp

Tasty

« Reply #6795 on: June 29, 2016, 02:51:32 AM »
Anyways, Google Fit got a huge update today. It desperately needed one, since it was pretty much the definition of "bare-bones" and the minimum you could get by calling a "fitness app."

To make my point, old version:

And the new version:

^ My screenshot. :)

The best part of the new update, aside from much better use of color, is customizable goals. Previously these were locked into the format of "X calories or distance per day." Now they're "X of Y per Z," for instance "2 times of Swimming per Week." There's even scalable widgets for each goal you add (I have a tiny 1x1 for my 3x/week swimming goal on my homescreen as a reminder.)

Google Fit overall is a pretty decent package now. Although most people think it's Android Wear-only, it syncs with lots of fitness trackers (including my Speedo Shine.) It can also pump data to a decent number of sites including MyFitnessPal, et al.

My biggest feature request for this app now is some kind of social feed. All my friends use non-Misfit trackers so it's a crapshoot to compare and leaderboard-attack across all of them, and Google Fit has the potential to be a neutral third-party common ground between all of them. Maybe one day.

(Also I'm unsure what to categorize the Ab Carver workouts as, so I put them as "Aerobics" for now. :doge)

Tasty

« Reply #6796 on: June 29, 2016, 03:06:39 AM »
Also speaking of the ab carver, some personal observations which may or may not be of use to nachobro (keep in mind I'm a fitness noob overall):

- Having a wall to stop at is pretty much required, at least at first.
- This is gonna sound hella gay, but my natural inclination when in the starting position is to inverse-arc my back and push my butt out - this is bad. Instead, arc it the other way (so you look like a frightened/angry cat.)
- When rolling out, keep your head down in between your arms and looking straight down.
- Also when rolling out, don't try and "flatten" yourself so your arms continue straight from your back. Your arms need to be at an angle so you support yourself. I realized that if you try to go "flat," your arms sort of lock up and you're not really supporting your own weight any more. (Trying to explain this in text is hard.)
- Sort of goes without saying but you should be using your core to get you back to the starting position, not your back or arms/elbows. (In fact your elbows shouldn't bend at all during the entire workout.)

Anyways these are just some tidbits I've learned over the last ~2 weeks of using it. If you tear a rotator cuff or something don't sue me. :P

Alcoholic Fish

« Reply #6797 on: June 29, 2016, 06:31:58 AM »
Think I pulled something in my lower back and I don't know how. I can still do chest/tri, right?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6798 on: June 29, 2016, 07:48:09 AM »
Think I pulled something in my lower back and I don't know how. I can still do chest/tri, right?
Probably.  See how it feels when you work your way up in weight.  If you don't feel anything go for it.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6799 on: June 30, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »
180.6 on the scales post-workout, and my abs still can't come close to The Business's.  Life's not fair, brehs. :'(

I attribute my recent extra drop in weight due to moving to a two-a-day workout regimen.  I've been doing a quick  20-minute workout before my shifts, usually cardio/sprints, and then my usual strength/jiu jitsu/hockey workouts after work.

Well, that plus stress. Lol
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:38:53 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Tasty

« Reply #6800 on: June 30, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »
It was broken up into three sets (1x1200, 3x100, 3x50) but I finally swam a swimmer's mile tonight!

After two years of doing the 0 to 1650 program I finally hit 1650!

Of course the next step is to swim it all at once, but I'll get to that next week. :)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6801 on: June 30, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »
That ab roller is a workout, Tasty. You were right. It's tough to do it right. Every natural impulse I have for how I position my body while using it is wrong. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #6802 on: June 30, 2016, 11:38:56 PM »
That ab roller is a workout, Tasty. You were right. It's tough to do it right. Every natural impulse I have for how I position my body while using it is wrong. :lol

:lol Haha yup! And of course if you're like me, you watch all the vids on YouTube about how to do it but it doesn't translate into your body actually doing it correctly.

As long as you keep at it and don't pull something, I think you'll get it eventually. At least I hope so, since I'm only a couple steps ahead of you. :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6803 on: June 30, 2016, 11:48:27 PM »
Yeah I've been watching a ton of videos and all those make it look so easy. :lol I think I did okay for day one, I'll just keep at it and keep improving

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6804 on: July 01, 2016, 07:46:17 AM »
180.6 on the scales post-workout, and my abs still can't come close to The Business's.  Life's not fair, brehs. :'(

I attribute my recent extra drop in weight due to moving to a two-a-day workout regimen.  I've been doing a quick  20-minute workout before my shifts, usually cardio/sprints, and then my usual strength/jiu jitsu/hockey workouts after work.

I'm glad to hear the new routine is working out for you!  I think I may switch to a 5/3/1 routine where I go in and do my compound sets - maybe 1 assistance and bail the F out.  I just don't have the time anymore to do all the accessory work and I honestly don't care enough.  I just want to be strong and my numbers are getting back up.

« Reply #6805 on: July 01, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »
Add more stress is the best ab advice I can give. Much more.

« Reply #6806 on: July 01, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »
I’m talking about deep psychological and emotional stress. Eventually you’ll quit eating and next thing you know you have abs.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Real talk though, ab isolation exercises are unnecessary for 99% of the population. Abs are made in the kitchen.
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #6807 on: July 01, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »
You'll never get visible, cut abs by staying in the kitchen. I get that it's pithy shorthand for the where the majority of the work has to be, but it's technically wrong.

« Reply #6808 on: July 01, 2016, 01:48:30 PM »
I respectfully disagree. Visible, "cut" (this term is meaningless) abs are similar to visible ribs: these things exist under the subcutaneous fat underneath the skin on your abdomen. You can grow your abs slightly (very slightly—these muscles are so small that an increase in size of 10% would be almost unnoticeable), but if the subcutaneous fat is there then you still can't see them.

Fat loss is essentially diet and cardio—mostly diet, but cardio hovering at a BPM equaling your weight minus age if you're already fat adapted (in Ketogenesis) will help. Crunches, ab rolling, etc. is basically pointless if your goal is visibility unless you're already on point with your diet, at 5% body fat, and need an edge for your swimsuit competition.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6809 on: July 01, 2016, 01:50:18 PM »
We've had this same argument with the same people just a few pages back :lol

« Reply #6810 on: July 01, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »
It’s a common argument especially with people new to fitness. But like driving a manual, no one was born knowing it, so it’s silly to make fun of people who don’t know how. Us old timers just had to be patient with them.

Tasty

« Reply #6811 on: July 01, 2016, 02:26:23 PM »
I respectfully disagree. Visible, "cut" (this term is meaningless) abs are similar to visible ribs: these things exist under the subcutaneous fat underneath the skin on your abdomen. You can grow your abs slightly (very slightly—these muscles are so small that an increase in size of 10% would be almost unnoticeable), but if the subcutaneous fat is there then you still can't see them.

The issue is that getting rid of enough fat to see them through only dieting, you're doing a lot of harm to your body in other areas. You'll likely become underweight before you start seeing your abs if you're specifically dieting for that purpose. All skinny underweight guys I've seen have visible ribs, but none of them have visible abdominal muscles.

Focused workouts targeted at your core burn that last bit of fat that would be unhealthy to try and get rid of through diet alone.

I admit to not being experienced in fitness so apologies if there's studies out there disproving the above.

For the record I didn't know that you could make your abs "bigger," I've always operated under the assumption of burning the fat atop them in order to reveal them.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6812 on: July 01, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
It’s a common argument especially with people new to fitness. But like driving a manual, no one was born knowing it, so it’s silly to make fun of people who don’t know how. Us old timers just had to be patient with them.
Agreed.  Not making fun of anyone.  Just thought it was funny that we came back full circle. 

The issue is that getting rid of enough fat to see them through only dieting, you're doing a lot of harm to your body in other areas. You'll likely become underweight before you start seeing your abs if you're specifically dieting for that purpose.

Focused workouts targeted at your core burn that last bit of fat that would be unhealthy to try and get rid of through diet alone.

I admit to not being experienced in fitness so apologies if there's studies out there disproving the above.
You can't spot reduce fat.  So targeting your core doesn't burn any last bit of fat.  Diet and any kind of calorie burning exercise gets rid of that last bit of fat which brings us right back to where this argument always goes.

Edit: If you become underweight while dieting then you don't have a proper diet.  I think when someone tells you that abs are made in the kitchen it's always with the assumption that you know how to properly plan and execute a diet.

Tasty

« Reply #6813 on: July 01, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6814 on: July 01, 2016, 07:33:06 PM »

The issue is that getting rid of enough fat to see them through only dieting, you're doing a lot of harm to your body in other areas. You'll likely become underweight before you start seeing your abs if you're specifically dieting for that purpose. All skinny underweight guys I've seen have visible ribs, but none of them have visible abdominal muscles.

For the record I didn't know that you could make your abs "bigger," I've always operated under the assumption of burning the fat atop them in order to reveal them.

Gawdammit, Andy
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6815 on: July 01, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »
i did hear about fat collecting around the waist can be caused by stress or some shit

so you can't target where you lose fat but belly fat might be an exception
No. Belly fat is not an exception. If it was, there would actually be some secret that made someone crazy rich because everyone wants to lose belly fat. Fat distribution is determined by genetics, or at least all the conclusive research points to that. The idea that you can spot reduce fat is shit peddled by magazines because it promotes quick fix thinking.

Kara

« Reply #6816 on: July 01, 2016, 09:53:25 PM »
"Burn belly fat now!" is huge in cycling mags. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #6817 on: July 02, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6818 on: July 02, 2016, 05:00:04 PM »
🍆🍆

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6819 on: July 06, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
Birthday weekend came with much partying and some undoing of my hard work. Gained back a bunch all at once. :'( However I'm still down and my manboobs are noticeably smaller so I'm still saying this is a victory. :doge

Tasty

« Reply #6820 on: July 06, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »
Last week I humble-bragged about doing 1200 continuous yards in the pool, and expressed hope of hitting my goal of 1650 yards after three years of swimming.

1650 yards is a "swimmer's mile." A "real" mile is 1760.

Today I thought, why settle? So I put in four extra lengths to hit 1750. It's 10 yards off, but I'm gonna call it a mile anyways.

It's been a long crazy road to get here (70 lengths without stopping!), and I almost can't believe it myself, but I've achieved my three-year fitness goal (and then some.)

Onto the next one! 🏊

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6821 on: July 08, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6822 on: July 08, 2016, 06:13:32 PM »

I'm glad to hear the new routine is working out for you!  I think I may switch to a 5/3/1 routine where I go in and do my compound sets - maybe 1 assistance and bail the F out.  I just don't have the time anymore to do all the accessory work and I honestly don't care enough.  I just want to be strong and my numbers are getting back up.

I think this is kinda funny, because although the "two workouts a day" thing is clearly having results, I find I'm still working out the kinks of figuring out when to do a strength workout, when to do a quick interval cardio workout, or something circuit-based.  I've also started incorporating a *little* bit of Olympic lifts into what I do, clean and jerk, power cleans.   I like them, but I feel i don't quite know what the fuck I'm doing with them too :lol

And yeah, fuck accessory work :punch   Meat-and-potatoes shit all the way!  :punch

181.4 on the scale this morning, 179.0 lbs post-workout in the afternoon.  I think it's almost time for another progress pic, because this has got to be near peak-lean Boogie.  I'm fucking swimming in my clothes now. :lol

Still rocking lift numbers that would shock the fuck out of me the last time I weighed 179 lbs though.  ;)
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6823 on: July 08, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #6824 on: July 08, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
Broke another personal record tonight: most yards in a single session.

This was broken up into four sets (didn't realize how sore I was from Wednesday until I was in the pool) but it's still more than a mile.

I finally don't feel like a poser in the pool anymore, haha. Guess I'm legit now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:56:38 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #6825 on: July 11, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »

Did my Friday record of 1800 yards, except this time I did it without stopping. 😃 🏊

Also I've been thinking a lot about my various exchanges here with Mupepe and others and put simply, I'd like to apologize. Not to deflect blame but an entire lifetime of "workout = muscles, diet = meh" conditioning is hard to lose.

With that said, I wasn't as anti-diet as I appeared here - I've integrated changes in my diet as far back as last year to get the results, but mostly light changes like less soda and more protein.

Now that I've actually beaten my original swimming goals the pendulum has swung back to my diet and I'm making far more drastic changes there. I've done various research in recent weeks and my goals are less fat, sugar, and carbs. In practice this translates to:

- Low-fat milk instead of whole milk (which I love :()
- No soda, candy, and half my normal amount of sugar in my coffee
- Less red meat (which I love :() and more "lean" meat like turkey, chicken and fish
- More straight-up protein (whey)
- More green vegetables and berries (already doing well here)

I have several sources which seems to point to these being the right decision, but I'm open to any suggestions you guys have. :) As I said I feel bad about our previous arguments, but I also really wanted to "earn" it through working out...

Going to buy Lose It premium (since my friend works there and it's discounted right now), since it lets me track specific fat/sugar levels in food. Just not sure what I should be targeting right now haha. I think it has some in-app guides to help there too.

Also planning on doing this 1800 yard set three times a week. Hopefully I'll get the look I'm going after. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:13:36 PM by Tasty Meat »

« Reply #6826 on: July 11, 2016, 11:26:52 PM »
Grats on your swimming PRs and no need to apologize. We were all there once. If you're eating less fat, sugar, and carbs, does that mean your diet is mostly protein? Have you read anything yet about healthy fats?

It takes probably a lifetime to really get your macros on point and balance the right amount of nutrients—even the gurus change their recommendations over the years as new studies come out. My advice is to not look for the perfect diet and stick to that, because it doesn't exist. Keep doing what you're do doing: experimenting and reading.

If you're into podcasts, I recommend "Fat Burning Man" with Abel James. He interviews a wide variety of experts so you get some varied approaches in diet and nutrition (and even psychology). The show is really positive and always motivates me.

El Babua

« Reply #6827 on: July 12, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
Ate Popeyes for lunch and now plantains alongside chicken, rice and beans for my post-workour. Delicious fat and sugar  :aah

Felt really strong doing squats and Deadlift today for the first time in ages. Worked up to a 225 triple for squats and finished up with 8x185 for volume on the final set.

Worked up to a 275 triple on DL. Felt really good doing both exercises instead of lethargic going into most of my sets the last couple months!

Tasty

« Reply #6828 on: July 12, 2016, 12:19:28 AM »
Grats on your swimming PRs and no need to apologize. We were all there once. If you're eating less fat, sugar, and carbs, does that mean your diet is mostly protein? Have you read anything yet about healthy fats?

Thanks.

Seems to be mostly protein yeah, and I have not read anything about healthy fats. If it lets me continue eating red meat I'm all for it. :P

It takes probably a lifetime to really get your macros on point and balance the right amount of nutrients—even the gurus change their recommendations over the years as new studies come out. My advice is to not look for the perfect diet and stick to that, because it doesn't exist. Keep doing what you're do doing: experimenting and reading.

:)

If you're into podcasts, I recommend "Fat Burning Man" with Abel James. He interviews a wide variety of experts so you get some varied approaches in diet and nutrition (and even psychology). The show is really positive and always motivates me.

Hm might give an episode or two a shot, thanks for the rec!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6829 on: July 12, 2016, 02:46:51 AM »
You can always eat red meat bro, but don't do it more then once a week :)

Also the more rare the healthier (cancer wise) as carcogenic substances increase when the meat is well done.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6830 on: July 12, 2016, 02:52:45 AM »
I don't do any excersice except cycle commute 13km during the week (most of the days).

This coupled with a healthy diet since coming back from summer holiday (10 days all inclusive haha) already resulted in me dropping 2/3 kilo. Down to 83ish this morning.

If I keep at it I'll prob be at a healthy 81 soon.

At my fattest I was 90, my lowest as an adult is just under 80 when I used to hit the gym and hat a fat percentage of 10%.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6831 on: July 12, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »
People keep telling me I need a fitband but I'm not sure why. However this thing is pretty cheap today so I might go for it. Anyone know if it's good? https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-v%C3%ADvofit-Fitness-Band-Black/dp/B00HFPOXM4

Also down to 261, feeling good. :D

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6832 on: July 12, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
My bike has a heart rate monitor on it, which seems fine. I just didn't know if I was missing the point on these fitbands or what.

Diet is something I've been working on a lot. I used to be a fast food/taco bell guy for lunch every day. Now I'm doing a veggie shake (12 oz OJ, 1/2 cucumber, carrot, celery, apple, some weird "cytogreens' powder) every day instead. Also I've cut snacking between meals down a ton and I'm not eating the millions of cakes/donuts/muffins etc that are put out in the office every day. Dinners I always made something at home every day anyway so I'm just making slightly healthier stuff instead.

Obviously I'm not 100% perfect at it but I'm definitely improving.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6833 on: July 12, 2016, 01:28:07 PM »
I present to you, Peak-Lean Boogie:

[close]

Although I am overall very satisfied with how this 9-month Bulk-then-lean process has played out, I believe I must now accept that it is fate that I will never quite be able to defeat Biz in the abs battle.   :'(
MMA

Tasty

« Reply #6834 on: July 12, 2016, 02:23:54 PM »
You can always eat red meat bro, but don't do it more then once a week :)

Also the more rare the healthier (cancer wise) as carcogenic substances increase when the meat is well done.

For me it's usually 2-3 times a week. >.>

And I like my stuff on the rarer side (not super bloody, but at more juicy pinkness than not.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Did my Friday record of 1800 yards, except this time I did it without stopping. 😃 🏊

266 calories in 42 minutes is seems kinda low

when I cycle past 40 minutes I'm always above 500 calories burned according to my heart rate monitor

although I don't really care about calories burned when I work out

I'm guessing when you swim your heart rate stays in the range of 120-130 or so

Yeah I don't really pay attention to the calorie thing, it seems off more often than not (for instance it said I burned more Friday even though I know I went harder last night.)

I present to you, Peak-Lean Boogie:

[close]

Although I am overall very satisfied with how this 9-month Bulk-then-lean process has played out, I believe I must now accept that it is fate that I will never quite be able to defeat Biz in the abs battle.   :'(

:o :o :o

Tasty

« Reply #6835 on: July 12, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »
People keep telling me I need a fitband but I'm not sure why. However this thing is pretty cheap today so I might go for it. Anyone know if it's good? https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-v%C3%ADvofit-Fitness-Band-Black/dp/B00HFPOXM4

Also down to 261, feeling good. :D

Garmin's probably my favorite overall fitness band maker, but that's probably because they're the only big boy manufacturer that gives a shit about swimmers. :lol Case in point, that Vivofit (like the rest of their entire line) is waterproof to 50 meters (which means you can swim laps with it.) None of the other big names offer even one waterproof tracker in their lineup, even to 30 meters (the minimum.) You can get them waterproofed aftermarket (for a pricey markup) but it won't track anything in the pool correctly, so what's the point... *bitter*

Although I do love my Misfit Shine, it unfortunately just doesn't give in-depth statistics nor is there much of a social scene (I know 1-2 people IRL with Garmins and thus using Garmin Connect, and precisely zero people with Misfits.)

As for that Vivofit specifically, I heard it's pretty good especially at that price. Just keep in mind it's two generations old, Garmin recently put out the Vivofit 3 and speaking as someone who is EXTREMELY vain about wearables (I mean I chose Misfit, lol) it looks like one of the most attractive fit bands you can buy:

It's also double the price of course, but it probably also has some improvements over the original. (I heard the Vivofit 2 and 3 improve on the clasp of the first, which I've read can be flaky.)

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6836 on: July 12, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
Boogs :)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6837 on: July 12, 2016, 06:18:15 PM »
Garmin's probably my favorite overall fitness band maker, but that's probably because they're the only big boy manufacturer that gives a shit about swimmers. :lol Case in point, that Vivofit (like the rest of their entire line) is waterproof to 50 meters (which means you can swim laps with it.) None of the other big names offer even one waterproof tracker in their lineup, even to 30 meters (the minimum.) You can get them waterproofed aftermarket (for a pricey markup) but it won't track anything in the pool correctly, so what's the point... *bitter*

Although I do love my Misfit Shine, it unfortunately just doesn't give in-depth statistics nor is there much of a social scene (I know 1-2 people IRL with Garmins and thus using Garmin Connect, and precisely zero people with Misfits.)

As for that Vivofit specifically, I heard it's pretty good especially at that price. Just keep in mind it's two generations old, Garmin recently put out the Vivofit 3 and speaking as someone who is EXTREMELY vain about wearables (I mean I chose Misfit, lol) it looks like one of the most attractive fit bands you can buy:

(Image removed from quote.)

It's also double the price of course, but it probably also has some improvements over the original. (I heard the Vivofit 2 and 3 improve on the clasp of the first, which I've read can be flaky.)
Yeah the price is appealing but most of my cardio is on a stationary bike so a fitband probably isn't too useful for me. When it comes to tech stuff that isn't my desktop/laptop I'm kinda distinguished mentally-challenged so thanks for the info. :)

Tasty

« Reply #6838 on: July 12, 2016, 06:22:38 PM »
There's secondary benefits too like sleep monitoring and alerts for when you should stand up and walk around since sitting is bad.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #6839 on: July 16, 2016, 07:05:49 AM »
Got hit with the plateau struggle this week. My main lifts seem to have just quit advancing :goty   

Just managing my cals. Just matching protein to weight. Eating clean. I added 20 minutes HIIT to the end of my workout lately as well. I'm not bulking or cutting either. Just trying to do a nice three month "Get back to normal" routine using a three day Reg Park beginner split (All the compound lifts lifts plus bicep and calf accessory work) and cardio. But I'm nowhere near ready to do a cut or a bulk. Wondering if I should just hold till end of August (Which was my plan all along) or switch now.