Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 809834 times)

Himu

Re: FitnessBore - 2017 edition
« Reply #7140 on: January 14, 2017, 06:23:21 AM »
An hour and a half of open mat on a Friday night.  :rejoice

Getting back into a proper BJJ regimen at a club of hungry beasts, and having a target on your back as a brown belt in a room full of blues and purples.   :whew

Knowing that you're going to be so gawdamned sore in the morning.   :dizzy

Surrounded by monsters is how I like to phrase it. Sometimes I leave and I'm like "they're all monsters. All of them."

But you're a brown so you're one of the biggest monsters of all. No white belts at the open mat? I tend to be the only white belt at open mat and I've learned that open mat is the best day to be humble.

No kidding on the soreness but it's always worth it.
IYKYK

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #7141 on: January 14, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
QoI, what's your rationale for excluding dairy? (Most) yogurt and milk are too high in carbs, I get that, but for me butter and cheese are low carb staples. Also whey too b/c I'm a lazy fuck. All 3 of those work macro wise, so I'm wondering why you told Dufus no dairy with low carb.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7142 on: January 14, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
I wouldn't survive low carb without cheese.

Himu

« Reply #7143 on: January 14, 2017, 08:18:56 PM »
QoI, what's your rationale for excluding dairy? (Most) yogurt and milk are too high in carbs, I get that, but for me butter and cheese are low carb staples. Also whey too b/c I'm a lazy fuck. All 3 of those work macro wise, so I'm wondering why you told Dufus no dairy with low carb.

Dairy is awful for you.

http://nutritionstudies.org/12-frightening-facts-milk/
http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2015/10/dairy-industry-milk-federal-dietary-guidelines

Biz said the most important things to quit to have better health were 1. Sugar and 2. Wheat. He's right but I'd honestly make dairy number two and wheat number three.
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7144 on: January 14, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »

But you're a brown so you're one of the biggest monsters of all. No white belts at the open mat?

haha, true enough, I suppose.  Yeah, there were some white belts as well.  But as you say, to them, I'm a monster, so they're all super intimidated no matter how relaxed and easy I'm going with them.  :lol   :)

But since I'm a bit rusty, and new to this club, the purples and more experienced blues are taking it as an opportunity to "test" me.  I'm holding 'em off okay so far, and it's a chill club, nobody's trying to run through people to prove anything.

edit:  Gimme all the milk products!  Blessed up to this point with an iron stomach, I don't get the indigestion issues some do with dairy.  And the other risks I consider minimal.
MMA

Himu

« Reply #7145 on: January 14, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
Sounds good. I'm not scared of brown belts. I was at first but I have learned the best people to learn from are upper belts.
IYKYK

Syph

« Reply #7146 on: January 14, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
two weeks have now passed since my very brief holiday GOMAD experiment and ive gained a net 4lbs
mission successful

...still a decent way to go
it's cool that im siginificantly closer to my goal weight than my starting weight though
XO

El Babua

« Reply #7147 on: January 14, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »
Doing a linear program for the time being because I've been inconsistent as fuck the last couple of months.

Starting off at 3x6 for Squats and Bench, 2x6 for DLs, 70% of old 1RM. Let's see how far I get!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7148 on: January 14, 2017, 08:39:54 PM »
I'm resetting squat and OHP in this next cycle of 5/3/1. I failed OHP and squat just feels like my form is starting to falter a bit. Resetting is always good for buidling up some confidence!

« Reply #7149 on: January 14, 2017, 10:46:48 PM »
QoI, I really think you'd like this book.

Modern American dairy farming is not good for humans, despite the ad campaign by them suggesting otherwise (surprise!)

Most people on the planet don't produce lactase in adulthood and are therefore lactose intolerant. A significant population are allergic to casein too. Even the lucky ones who can tolerate milk really shouldn't drink milk from the supermarket. Modern dairy cows are genetic freaks with overactive pituitary glands producing growth hormone that ends up in the milk and is doubled by FDA-approved growth hormones. Plus supermarket milk is pasteurized. The heat kills good enzymes, destroys vitamins, and reduces mineral content. It may even alter the lactose to be more absorbable which strains the pancreas. Superheated milk tastes and smells bad so they add chemicals to mask it. Then they readd vitamins synthetically and fake D2 is actually toxic. It really does more harm than good.

Raw milk and raw cheese though? Kefir? Yoghurt? Hell yeah. Grass fed butter is okay too because it doesn't contain growth hormone and whatever health risks may be associated with soybean-fed cows. If you can't get raw cheese (who can?) natural cheese i.e. unprocessed cheese is more digestible unheated.

TL;DR: nothing matters and eat or drink what you want because that's what we're all gonna do anyway

Edit: Link fixed
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:02:14 AM by Samson Manhug »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7150 on: January 14, 2017, 11:53:29 PM »
Link's broken.

Himu

« Reply #7151 on: January 15, 2017, 03:30:09 AM »
QoI, I really think you'd like this book.

Modern American dairy farming is not good for humans, despite the ad campaign by them suggesting otherwise (surprise!)

Most people on the planet don't produce lactase in adulthood and are therefore lactose intolerant. A significant population are allergic to casein too. Even the lucky ones who can tolerate milk really shouldn't drink milk from the supermarket. Modern dairy cows are genetic freaks with overactive pituitary glands producing growth hormone that ends up in the milk and is doubled by FDA-approved growth hormones. Plus supermarket milk is pasteurized. The heat kills good enzymes, destroys vitamins, and reduces mineral content. It may even alter the lactose to be more absorbable which strains the pancreas. Superheated milk tastes and smells bad so they add chemicals to mask it. Then they readd vitamins synthetically and fake D2 is actually toxic. It really does more harm than good.

Raw milk and raw cheese though? Kefir? Yoghurt? Hell yeah. Grass fed butter is okay too because it doesn't contain growth hormone and whatever health risks may be associated with soybean-fed cows. If you can't get raw cheese (who can?) natural cheese i.e. unprocessed cheese is more digestible unheated.

TL;DR: nothing matters and eat or drink what you want because that's what we're all gonna do anyway

Edit: Link fixed

thanks for the book suggestion.

i have always hated milk so there's that too. My vice has always been ice cream, for which there are non-dairy alternatives.
IYKYK

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7152 on: January 15, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »
Shit, that reminds me, should I cut back COMPLETELY on chocolate/candy when starting to exercise? I read (in one of Queen's links) that in the beginning it doesn't really matter what I eat as long as I eat a lot/stuff my face to keep up. And what kind of drinks can I drink? I have to admit I'm very fond of soda and chocolate... lol. This probably is going to be veeeeeeeery slow.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #7153 on: January 15, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »
TL;DR: DAIRY IS SCARY.

Damn, I knew about a lot of this, stopped drinking milk in my teens, but you telling me I got to worry about non-grass fed butter? Maybe the trace amounts of casein are enough to trigger an inflammatory response in some people, idk, I was hoping it was a non-issue. But you seem to be suggesting that butter contains growth hormone in it as well? Coconut oil it is then.

« Reply #7154 on: January 15, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
Yeah if it's not grass-fed. Kerrygold is pretty easy to find where I live, though. Or you can order grass-fed ghee online.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #7155 on: January 15, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
Kerrygold is pretty good, I use to get that a lot. I'll stick with coconut oil for now though solely due to the cost. 54 oz of EVCO off Amazon for $17 = 105 tbsp servings.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7156 on: January 21, 2017, 09:32:34 AM »
I've been watching what I eat for 2 weeks and put on 3 pounds :(  :fbm

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7157 on: January 21, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »
Nothing wrong with tracking your weight, but you have to be consistent about it, and not freak out about the fluctuations.

Daily at the same time everyday, weekly on the same day/time every week, whatever.

My own cut is proceeding slowly as well.  But again, it's just 20 days into the new year.

My January 2nd weight was 200lbs.  This morning I'm 196.  But it hasn't been a steady progression, there's been ups and downs over that timeframe.
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7158 on: January 21, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »
I look at it every day.  This had been a slow rise with fluctuations.   

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7159 on: January 21, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
well, that is annoying then.

What's your activity level like?  Have you been less active over the past few weeks?

Change in stress?  Amount of sleep?  Gotten sick/flu/anything like that?

(Not that it's necessarily due to any of the above, but just to remind that there's more to weight changes than just diet)
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7160 on: January 21, 2017, 01:38:59 PM »
Ya been taking the TTC instead of walking an hour a day - but started strength again.  Less sleep more stress. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7161 on: January 21, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
Also just to get this out there TTC WTF at rush hour I can let 2 packed street cars pass and get on the third and its still has no room. 

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7162 on: January 25, 2017, 06:16:42 AM »
God I hate myself lately because I've just completely lost all will to go to the gym since the start of the new year. Even when I get psyched up and start to pack up and everything I'll stop before I go out the door because I completely feel like crap.

Today I know I'm stressed as fuck because I have an interview for a full time job and I thought smashing a session would get rid of it for me but nope. Still got out the door and sat in the car feeling like crap for five minutes before deciding not to go.

I have no idea what to do because I've made some gains and started regaining my cardio back, but I have no idea what my mental block is.

:goty
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:47:55 AM by Take My Breh Away »

« Reply #7163 on: January 25, 2017, 06:59:56 AM »
I don’t think this is necessarily the best solution, but it is one I’ve used before to mitigate depression or a lack of motivation. Find a pre-workout that makes you uncomfortably energetic. They pretty much all do thanks to the caffeine and Niacin. But it’s tough to sit in your car and talk yourself out of it when your heart is racing and your skin is flushed and itching. It provides a little external accountability.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7164 on: January 25, 2017, 08:05:51 AM »
I've been thinking a bit more about what Himu said and leftovers and stuff.

I should probably do that. Cook for two, then eat the second meal the next day so I don't have to cook then.

But do cooked greens store well in the fridge? And what's the best way to reheat them? Microwave?

Also what are the easiest leafy greens to eat because kale takes for fucking ever to scarf down.
Greens will stay just fine warmed up assuming you don't overcook them and turn them to mush.  I find a toaster oven the best way to warm them up but a microwave works.

Spinach is the easiest green for me to get my fiber in. 

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7165 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:30 PM »
I don’t think this is necessarily the best solution, but it is one I’ve used before to mitigate depression or a lack of motivation. Find a pre-workout that makes you uncomfortably energetic. They pretty much all do thanks to the caffeine and Niacin. But it’s tough to sit in your car and talk yourself out of it when your heart is racing and your skin is flushed and itching. It provides a little external accountability.

I had already dropped some Black Blood which is like a hell of a kick so I was already kinda pumped and itching but I just wasn't feeling it at all. I tried doing a few push ups and hindu-squats but it felt like my legs were just dead. Too stressed to give it a go, really. It was just a weird bout of depression.

Will try again on Friday, anyway.

Shrew

« Reply #7166 on: January 25, 2017, 10:03:50 PM »
Summer's round the corner, so time to go all in again. Meaning no alcohol til at least June.

My Guitar Hero / Rock Band  MMR ratings are gonna tank to Bronze League levels. Expert was fun while it lasted,  :(

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7167 on: February 03, 2017, 09:50:03 PM »
Summer's round the corner, so time to go all in again. Meaning no alcohol til at least June.

Well, now that's discipline.  I salute you, sir.   *takes another sip of his whisky*

My Guitar Hero / Rock Band  MMR ratings are gonna tank to Bronze League levels. Expert was fun while it lasted,  :(

People are.....still playing Guitar Hero/Rock band?  ???

Anyway, a bunch of y'all already saw this via other media, but I finally hit the 265lbs PR clean and jerk that I had failed a bunch of times attempting over the past few months:

MMA

Shrew

« Reply #7168 on: February 07, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »
Last week I was in my basement cleaning, and slipped and fell. In a cruel twist of the gods, I landed on my bench, smack on the ribs. A week later it still hurts.

Really sucks having to just sit and wait like this for the next few weeks waiting to heal. I was all excited to go ham. Not to mention I now look at my bench out of the corner of my eye, every time I go downstairs to do laundry. Betrayal like that only adds to the pain.

Syph

« Reply #7169 on: February 08, 2017, 01:13:09 AM »
Are you able to take a deep breath while standing or sitting? What about lying down?
XO

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7170 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »
Fun question:

Guy who does 40 minutes of cardio (getting all sweaty) before using the bench/machines. Jerk or no jerk?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7171 on: February 16, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
Fun question:

Guy who does 40 minutes of cardio (getting all sweaty) before using the bench/machines. Jerk or no jerk?
Only a jerk if he doesn't clean up the other stations before he leaves them.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7172 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:23 AM »
Oh yeah.  And I finally ran a sub 10 minute mile.  Ran one in 9:59.  I know it's still slow by most standards but when I first started running late summer of last year I was pretty damn winded with an 18 minute mile.  Yeah.  I know.  Even at my leanest in 2014 my cardio for running was pretty terrible.  I think I topped out at a 12 or 13 minute mile.  But I've made it a goal to improve that so I'm running 4 times a week on my 5/3/1 rest week and making decent progress.  I have been able to run two miles in 22 minutes for a while but that 10 minute mark was a hump I just couldn't seem to get over.  Now that I've broken it I hope I can keep going on my progress. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7173 on: February 16, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »
Finally starting to see weight loss

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7174 on: March 12, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »
Finally started to see weight gain.

Eight pounds in two months.

Eat candy, brehs. :doge

You're......doing it wrong.  :derp

Are you deadlifting 200 pounds yet?  You better be fucking deadlifting 200 pounds now. :punch

Anyhowww, for me, my announcement of June 2016 being "peak-lean Boogie" may have been premature.

The cut post-winter 2016-2017 bulk is finally progressing.   Down to the low 190s now.

And still hitting lifts damn close to my max at the beginning of the year. 

yesterday hit a 455x3 DL, 265x3x3 bench, and 345x3x3 squat.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7175 on: March 12, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
Jesus

Syph

« Reply #7176 on: March 12, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
Boogie how tall are you
XO

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7177 on: March 12, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »
Boogie how tall are you

Just a manlet.  5'8".

Weren't you supposed to be posting pics post GOMAD? ;)
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7178 on: March 12, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
5'8?  That's my height.  Stop making me feel bad. 

Syph

« Reply #7179 on: March 12, 2017, 09:17:16 PM »
Boogie how tall are you

Just a manlet.  5'8".

Weren't you supposed to be posting pics post GOMAD? ;)
haha GOMAD was just a two week thing over winter break; ill post pics once I hit my target weight
i was just asking because we're similar weight...but I'm half a foot taller so you're obvs fuller
lookin pretty damn aesthetic :clap

i have the same "problem" as you though; my abs are more defined than my chest...but I wish it were the opposite haha
XO

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7180 on: March 12, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
Damn, I'm tall. Which is a curse for my gender in many ways.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7181 on: March 12, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:55:41 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7182 on: March 12, 2017, 10:24:22 PM »
It's important to do this for yourself! Being confident shows, and makes you 150% times more attractive and interesting, as long as you don't turn into a gym douche. ..Or is that why you don't get second dates? 🤔

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7183 on: March 12, 2017, 10:30:29 PM »
It's important to do this for yourself! Being confident shows, and makes you 150% times more attractive and interesting, as long as you don't turn into a gym douche. ..Or is that why you don't get second dates? 🤔

edit:

Real answer, no, I'm not a gym douche.  I am passionate about fitness, but I'm not one of "those".
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:49:51 AM by Boogie »
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7184 on: March 12, 2017, 11:38:16 PM »
Finally started to see weight gain.

Eight pounds in two months.

Eat candy, brehs. :doge

Are you deadlifting 200 pounds yet?  You better be fucking deadlifting 200 pounds now. :punch

Anyhowww, for me, my announcement of June 2016 being "peak-lean Boogie" may have been premature.

The cut post-winter 2016-2017 bulk is finally progressing.   Down to the low 190s now.

And still hitting lifts damn close to my max at the beginning of the year. 

yesterday hit a 455x3 DL, 265x3x3 bench, and 345x3x3 squat.

(Image removed from quote.)

[close]

New page post for the New God

Oblivion

« Reply #7185 on: March 12, 2017, 11:46:38 PM »
I did something to my elbow back in December when I was carrying groceries. It's been hurting ever since, mainly when I bend it. Went to see a doctor the other day and told me to just ice it every day. It's been about 2 weeks now, doesn't feel any different at all. It's really ruining my workout routines. UGH.  :-\

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7186 on: March 13, 2017, 12:28:22 AM »
Didn't even see that you posted a photo, Boogie. Lookin' good!

Oblivion

« Reply #7187 on: March 13, 2017, 12:33:33 AM »
Holy shit, that's quite the physique, Boogie.  :o

Oblivion

« Reply #7188 on: March 13, 2017, 05:30:27 AM »
I did something to my elbow back in December when I was carrying groceries. It's been hurting ever since, mainly when I bend it. Went to see a doctor the other day and told me to just ice it every day. It's been about 2 weeks now, doesn't feel any different at all. It's really ruining my workout routines. UGH.  :-\

Go back to your doctor.

Anyways icing was good advice. Icing can really work miracles! Make sure you use raw ice without anything in between. Apply directly to skin. You can get burned that way but tbh you can get burned no matter how you do it, applying ice directly to the skin is just faster.

You might want to stop working out altogether until your elbow is pain free again.

Applying ice directly to skin? Isn't that a really bad idea?

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7189 on: March 14, 2017, 06:08:11 AM »

I dunno, doing all those farmer's walks carrying heavy bags full of candy got me pretty swole :success
YOU TOLD ME I NEED TO CUT OUT ALL CANDY. What a hypocrite. :maf

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7190 on: March 14, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »
Depending on who you are cutting candy out completely can backfire. It can make candy more tempting which will make you fatter. :doge

It's safer to minimize it but not cut it out completely.
:doge indeed  Sounds like you're rationalizing weak will. 

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #7191 on: March 14, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »

Go back to your doctor.

Anyways icing was good advice. Icing can really work miracles! Make sure you use raw ice without anything in between. Apply directly to skin. You can get burned that way but tbh you can get burned no matter how you do it, applying ice directly to the skin is just faster.

You might want to stop working out altogether until your elbow is pain free again.

Applying ice directly to skin? Isn't that a really bad idea?

Why would anyone take actual advice from Dufus. Don't use ice directly on your skin. smh
dur

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #7192 on: March 14, 2017, 08:55:52 AM »
Sorry I'm not going to take advice from a massage therapist lulz on anything but happy endings

dur

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7193 on: March 14, 2017, 09:22:14 AM »

https://www.painscience.com/articles/icing.php

I've been icing my feet on and off for like... a year. :doge I've never even had anything close to a burn.
Your feet probably look like Mr. Deeds'

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7194 on: March 14, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »

I dunno, doing all those farmer's walks carrying heavy bags full of candy got me pretty swole :success

ARE YOU DEADLIFTING TWO HUNDRED POUNDS NOW, YES OR NO?
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7195 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
Depending on who you are cutting candy out completely can backfire. It can make candy more tempting which will make you fatter. :doge

It's safer to minimize it but not cut it out completely.
:doge indeed  Sounds like you're rationalizing weak will.

Finding out what works for you best isn't 'rationalizing weak will'. :comeon
Rationalizing weak will is what works best for you.  Got it.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7196 on: March 14, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7197 on: March 14, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »

I haven't signed up at a gym yet... so no. :doge

I guess I need stop RATIONALIZING MY WEAK WILL. :doge

I get it, it's important to set realistic, achievable goals.

I mean, in your case, the goal is "get fatter", but still.
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7198 on: March 14, 2017, 02:44:10 PM »
No the goal is to be less of a candy muncher and its an honorable goal. 

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7199 on: March 14, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »

I haven't signed up at a gym yet... so no. :doge

I guess I need stop RATIONALIZING MY WEAK WILL. :doge

I get it, it's important to set realistic, achievable goals.

I mean, in your case, the goal is "get fatter", but still.
I knew that quitting crack completely would only be painful and cause me to smoke more crack so I've decided to only smoke a limited amount of crack.

crack
[close]