Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1087056 times)

Occam

Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #7320 on: May 01, 2020, 05:58:56 PM »
"Government clinical trial investigators changed the primary metric for measuring the success of Gilead’s experimental drug remdesivir as a coronavirus treatment two weeks before Anthony S. Fauci’s announcement that the drug would be the new “standard of care.”

Instead of counting how many people taking the drug were kept alive on ventilators or died, among other measures, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said it would judge the drug primarily on a different outcome: how long it took surviving patients to recover.

Death and other negative outcomes were moved to secondary measure status: They would still be tracked, but they would no longer be the key measure of remdesivir’s performance."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/01/government-researchers-changed-metric-measure-coronavirus-drug-remdesivir-during-clinical-trial/

Who cares if the death rate is actually higher with remdesivir as long as those who don't die recover slightly quicker. Awesome!

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7321 on: May 01, 2020, 06:01:39 PM »
lol UK.

So they said 100k a day tests by end of april.

On the last day they send out 39k tests so it looks like we made 100k a day testing.

That is like me doing an essay the night before and then just not quoting any sources and say well I just knew it myself.

LOL.

:neogaf

https://twitter.com/JPR_88/status/1256264888827162628

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7322 on: May 01, 2020, 06:07:21 PM »
From what I've seen doing google hangouts. People who use their included laptop webcams all look like shit (aka me). People who use their phones as their cameras look stellar.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #7323 on: May 01, 2020, 06:08:59 PM »
most inbuilt webcams are after thoughts so they just put any cheap shit in and call it a day.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #7324 on: May 01, 2020, 06:15:37 PM »
Yeah, most front facing cameras are phones are good while cameras in laptops are intentionally poor. It makes sense, people who use cell phones expect good cameras in general, so even a poor cell phone camera is probably better on average than what a laptop uses.

I still rather use Zoom on a laptop though, the cellphone app sucks.

Occam

« Reply #7325 on: May 01, 2020, 06:16:36 PM »
Surely you know about Beauty Mode?

Smartphones have had it for years.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7326 on: May 01, 2020, 06:16:38 PM »
Zoom Virtual Backgrounds  :rejoice
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #7327 on: May 01, 2020, 06:18:45 PM »

:doge

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #7328 on: May 01, 2020, 06:27:24 PM »
Yeah, most front facing cameras are phones are good while cameras in laptops are intentionally poor. It makes sense, people who use cell phones expect good cameras in general, so even a poor cell phone camera is probably better on average than what a laptop uses.

I still rather use Zoom on a laptop though, the cellphone app sucks.

iPad pro is the best experience, good camera and not terrible UI.

Also @vice thing? That isn't how you wear a mask? We get it you have a septum piercing... but lol. NO.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7329 on: May 01, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »
The vast majority of people I see around wearing masks have absolutely no idea WTF they're doing.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7330 on: May 01, 2020, 06:34:27 PM »
Surely you know about Beauty Mode?

(Image removed from quote.)

Smartphones have had it for years.

Someone stop the freckle police!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That looks like just a smoothing filter, so not specifically targetting freckles but not protecting them either!
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7331 on: May 01, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7332 on: May 01, 2020, 06:39:43 PM »
Two comments in a row objectifying women in the Corona thread is not a good look, so I'm posting this to break up the flow before I post a third. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7333 on: May 01, 2020, 06:43:20 PM »

Ghoul

« Reply #7334 on: May 01, 2020, 06:44:48 PM »
Two comments in a row objectifying women in the Corona thread is not a good look, so I'm posting this to break up the flow before I post a third. Her tits do look good though.

Madrun stop this madness. Please this is a pandemic thread.

Tripon

Himu

« Reply #7336 on: May 01, 2020, 07:43:29 PM »
Today I found out someone I know had CV19. Today I also find out someone I know currently HAS it. I've never seen a virus like this.
IYKYK

Tripon

« Reply #7338 on: May 01, 2020, 10:06:01 PM »
The 25,000 to 69,000 numbers that Trump cited do not represent counted flu deaths per year; they are estimates that the CDC produces by multiplying the number of flu death counts reported by various coefficients produced through complicated algorithms. These coefficients are based on assumptions of how many cases, hospitalizations, and deaths they believe went unreported. In the last six flu seasons, the CDC's reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths — that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus — has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620. [Jeremy Faust, Scientific American]
https://www.yahoo.com/news/flu-deaths-were-counted-covid-053449918.html

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7339 on: May 01, 2020, 10:17:26 PM »
what is this Faust dude revealing secrets for

Tasty

« Reply #7341 on: May 01, 2020, 11:26:45 PM »
what is this Faust dude revealing secrets for

This post sent me looking for a clip and I found out the whole movie's on YouTube. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #7342 on: May 01, 2020, 11:42:47 PM »
Up in the air whether it's the unrated version though, viewer beware!

Tripon

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7345 on: May 02, 2020, 07:30:59 AM »

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #7348 on: May 02, 2020, 01:39:04 PM »
This thread is giving me an ulcer
reckt

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7349 on: May 02, 2020, 01:41:23 PM »
America is giving me an ulcer.  I call it Ulcer Sam.  He owns firearms and lets me know it. 

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7350 on: May 02, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
#ACAB

Wasting time on Mary J. Blige-carrying members instead of wearing their masks properly and watching released sick inmates. :doge

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1256636100795346947

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7351 on: May 02, 2020, 01:54:02 PM »
farehopping while you're holding and the cops are way less busy than usual :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7352 on: May 02, 2020, 02:21:37 PM »
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/maps_graphs.html

New Brunswick: Of the 118 total number of confirmed cases:

• 66 are travel-related,
• 42 are close contacts of confirmed cases
• 10 are the result of community transmission
• 0 remain under investigation
• 13 people have been hospitalized and 13 have since been discharged
• 0 patients remaining in hospital, 0 patients in an intensive care unit

To date, 118 people have recovered.

Bebpo

« Reply #7353 on: May 02, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
Today I found out someone I know had CV19. Today I also find out someone I know currently HAS it. I've never seen a virus like this.

Yeah I was talking with someone on the phone yesterday who had it and their mother was in a coma on a ventilator for 3 weeks and just woke up and survived on Monday. They said out of like 12 people in the social group her mother was in who went on a ventilator with her mother, everyone else died and her mother was the only survivor. Scary.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7354 on: May 02, 2020, 02:27:14 PM »
Looking at places like South Korea and New Zealand which seem to have pummeled covid19 into submission and getting extra depressed about the discourse in America.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #7356 on: May 02, 2020, 02:35:29 PM »
#ACAB

Wasting time on Mary J. Blige-carrying members instead of wearing their masks properly and watching released sick inmates. :doge

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1256636100795346947
What band cover is this lmao
🤴

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7357 on: May 02, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
Looking at places like South Korea and New Zealand which seem to have pummeled covid19 into submission and getting extra depressed about the discourse in America.

NZ passed a large stimulus that directly subsidized workers on a monthly basis, whether they were full time, part time, or unemployed. The US could have easily done the same. Instead they basically starved people, fucked up the small business loans, and forced people back to work.

Those federal UE benefits expire on June 31st. No way the senate renews it, even if we get hit with another wave of cases/layoffs.

Bebpo

« Reply #7358 on: May 02, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1256296009249980416

I mean, charity is cool and all but all I can think at this is: 1) Who cares and 2) DAMN, Chris Pratt looks horrible without make-up/stylists now.

I watched it last night, and they all looked awful. Make-up/stylists truly are an essential job.

Just watched it. Thought it was cute. Rob Lowe looked damn good, how does he do it at his age jfc.
Still crushing on Rashida Jones  :omg

Phoenix Dark

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7360 on: May 02, 2020, 03:55:37 PM »

« Reply #7361 on: May 02, 2020, 04:12:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/laurahancock/status/1256268361928978432
What's the point of being a society of gun nuts when you can't legally whip out your colt to put people like this in their place?  :fbm

meanwhile across the pond they are doing mass hug protests  :lol

https://twitter.com/Urban_Pictures/status/1256547250249125888

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7362 on: May 02, 2020, 04:15:36 PM »

Seeing a former poster’s story on Facebook of them having an awesome time in a Korean club makes think staying in the west might the worst thing I’m doing to myself

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #7363 on: May 02, 2020, 04:17:23 PM »

Seeing a former poster’s story on Facebook of them having an awesome time in a Korean club makes think staying in the west might the worst thing I’m doing to myself
etiolate living his best life  :tocry

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7364 on: May 02, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »
Yup, that’s the one :rofl

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #7365 on: May 02, 2020, 04:18:58 PM »

Beautifully fucked up. Truly an art piece this photo. But who is JB?

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
OH!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7368 on: May 02, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7369 on: May 02, 2020, 05:09:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1256682904027041792

I get he has an obsession with being able to say he was right ("I said it would be under 60k and it was!") but dude. No projections, inside or outside the WH, suggested this would magically stop at 60k. We'll be past 70k very soon. Going over 100k is all but assured.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7370 on: May 02, 2020, 05:51:32 PM »

5:50 makes my brain hurt. Democrat voters may have cut travel more than Republicans (it's almost certainty), but you can't necessarily conclude that by comparing the travel habits of states, let alone the travel habits of Hawaii and Wyoming. Wyoming has the second lowest population density in the US (after fucking Alaska) and is one of the most rural states. Hawaii has a high population density and is one of the most urban.

By the way, Wyoming is tied for the second lowest fatality rate (tied with Alaska), barely worse than Hawaii's. Who cares if you're traveling alone in a pickup for ten miles to get to a nearly empty grocery store.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7371 on: May 02, 2020, 05:55:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1256602990355664899

0.214% of NYC residents have died from COVID-19. So that's a 1.07% fatality rate. And no the fatality rate of the flu is not 0.1%--it's probably lower.

1. Antibody stats may be inflated.
2. There's a lag in deaths, so the actual rate may be higher.
3. The median age of New York City is a bit lower than the national average.

The floor for the fatality rate is 1%.

edit:
0.124% of the state has died of COVID-19. That equals a 1.0% fatality rate.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7372 on: May 02, 2020, 06:06:47 PM »
Ecuador +1,128 cases +308 deaths

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7373 on: May 02, 2020, 06:11:52 PM »

Knowing the game, you're actually declaring war on them.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7374 on: May 02, 2020, 06:15:41 PM »

They probably don't have as many tests as they would need.
Financial Times reports that Ecuador statistics show a massive spike in deaths year on year in the Guayas region (+10k, contrast with France +20k).
ὕβρις

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7375 on: May 02, 2020, 06:27:40 PM »

NZ passed a large stimulus that directly subsidized workers on a monthly basis, whether they were full time, part time, or unemployed. The US could have easily done the same. Instead they basically starved people, fucked up the small business loans, and forced people back to work.

Those federal UE benefits expire on June 31st. No way the senate renews it, even if we get hit with another wave of cases/layoffs.

It's not just the fiscal response, but the disease control itself.

South Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand, etc. have all had some combination of early intervention, isolation, mass testing etc. that let them get daily new cases down into single digits.

But there seems to be relatively little discussion of what we can learn and copy from these, much less just using them as a light at the end of the tunnel. Instead we've got a vocal minority (including officeholders and opinionmakers) still downplaying the danger of the virus and wringing their hands about just how long we can keep up our current measures.

Knowing that the example of South Korea exists and is being ignored just makes "well, guess we'll just have to let grandma die!" that more infuriating.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:02:44 PM by Mandark »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7376 on: May 02, 2020, 07:19:41 PM »
The mayor of an Oklahoma city amended an emergency declaration requiring customers to wear face masks while inside businesses after store employees were threatened with violence.

Stillwater Mayor Will Joyce announced the change Friday afternoon, less than 24 hours after the declaration took effect.

“In the short time beginning on May 1, 2020, that face coverings have been required for entry into stores/restaurants, store employees have been threatened with physical violence and showered with verbal abuse," City Manager Norman McNickle said in a statement. "In addition, there has been one threat of violence using a firearm."
lol calm down Rumbler

Bebpo

« Reply #7377 on: May 02, 2020, 07:51:19 PM »

It's not just the fiscal response, but the disease control itself.

South Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand, etc. have all had some combination of early intervention, isolation, mass testing etc. that let them get daily new cases down into single digits.

But there seems to be relatively little discussion of what we can learn and copy from these, much less just using them as a light at the end of the tunnel. Instead we've got a vocal minority (including officeholders and opinionmakers) still downplaying the danger of the virus and wringing their hands about just how long we can keep up our current measures.

Knowing that the example of South Korea exists and is being ignored just makes "well, guess we'll just have to let grandma die!" that more infuriating.

I mean we can't even get people to wear masks here because MAH FREEDOM

So yeah, that's like baby steps and the baby keeps fumbling and falling backwards.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7378 on: May 02, 2020, 08:00:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1256648867925446657

Atlanta is being thrown to the wolves, for nothing.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7379 on: May 02, 2020, 08:25:15 PM »
i'm not cheering for these businesses to fail but it does feel kinda good to see people not wanting to fuck around with the virus. these early openings are stupid and i'm glad the majority is seeing that.