Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 813548 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #2280 on: May 05, 2011, 02:15:53 AM »
I abso-fucking-lutely guarantee that using a stopwatch to time your workout will do 100x as much to 'amp up your workout' as a green tea pill
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2281 on: May 05, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
I abso-fucking-lutely guarantee that using a stopwatch to time your workout will do 100x as much to 'amp up your workout' as a green tea pill

Alrighty then.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2282 on: May 05, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
Man, have you ever tried Jack3d, White Flood, SuperPump or any of that other shit?  Ugh.  First, they're generally full of sugar.  Second, they're full of other stimulants that will keep you up for hours and hours (I tried a sample of White Flood and stayed up til 4am with the feeling that I just snorted a half gram of coke) and makes you feel like shit and even give you stimdick (it's exactly like it sounds).  Third, it's expensive as hell and after a while (days, not weeks), you'll have to keep taking more and more to get the energy effect.  They're really not worth it IMO.  

If you want a kick in the pants, maybe try something like Purple Wraath.  It's just BCAA's to give you energy while you work out (drink some before your workout and continue to sip it during).  There's also no calories and it doesn't make you feel like a crack addict.  

And there's nothing wrong with creatine.  It will help with gains and recovery and there's quite a few studies out now that show it helps with fat loss.  It's also one of the oldest and most tested supplements and is one of the few that is continually proven to be safe and effective.  It's also extremely cheap (two months supply for ~10 bucks).  Most supplements either don't work for everybody or don't work at all.  

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2283 on: May 05, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »
Man, have you ever tried Jack3d, White Flood, SuperPump or any of that other shit?  Ugh.  First, they're generally full of sugar.  Second, they're full of other stimulants that will keep you up for hours and hours (I tried a sample of White Flood and stayed up til 4am with the feeling that I just snorted a half gram of coke) and makes you feel like shit and even give you stimdick (it's exactly like it sounds).  Third, it's expensive as hell and after a while (days, not weeks), you'll have to keep taking more and more to get the energy effect.  They're really not worth it IMO.  

If you want a kick in the pants, maybe try something like Purple Wraath.  It's just BCAA's to give you energy while you work out (drink some before your workout and continue to sip it during).  There's also no calories and it doesn't make you feel like a crack addict.  

And there's nothing wrong with creatine.  It will help with gains and recovery and there's quite a few studies out now that show it helps with fat loss.  It's also one of the oldest and most tested supplements and is one of the few that is continually proven to be safe and effective.  It's also extremely cheap (two months supply for ~10 bucks).  Most supplements either don't work for everybody or don't work at all.  

Yeah, I don't want the Kool-Aid mixes.  But I wouldn't mind some additional energy boosts.  I basically want to be able to push just a little harder than what I'm doing right now and keep the fatigue down during my strength training.

I was in GNC with a friend of mine the other day and the girl working there gave me a trial pack of N.O.2 Red capsules to try with his purchase.  I've not tried them yet, but I plan to soon. 

I'm going to be meeting with a personal trainer today.  The guy is a power-lifter that I met in my gym a couple of months ago.  We added each other on Facebook and I noticed he is a big advocate for Jack3d because that is apparently where he made all of his gains.  I don't know how well we'll jive together because I'm not wanting to be a body builder like him, and paleo dieting isn't well known and all-accepted in these parts yet.  Hopefully we'll be able to find a common ground to work together on.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:48:11 AM by andrwfields »
WTF

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2284 on: May 05, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »
Decided to finally jump into FitnessBore this week. We got a an exercise bike [the kind with an actual seat] back at Christmas, so I decided to bust it out and try to get back into some semblance of physical fitness.

The past few days I've been pedaling for more than an hour at a time, switching between difficulty levels. That hour was usually spent sitting in front of my computer watching anime, so now I watch anime AND work out! Feels good, man.
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2285 on: May 05, 2011, 05:06:14 PM »
why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned coconut tortillas to me???  4 (6 additional grams of fiber) grams of carbs for 2 tsp's of coconut flour, makes 4 tortillas.  So 1 gram of carbs for each tortilla!  fuck me silly.  I can do that.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2286 on: May 05, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »
I've not messed with coconut flour at all.  Let me know how it tastes.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2287 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
Down 3 lbs this week. 40 lbs down. w00t w00t.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2288 on: May 06, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
Down 3 lbs this week. 40 lbs down. w00t w00t.

:bow Mups :bow2

Good work bro!
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2289 on: May 06, 2011, 01:02:27 PM »
thanks dude!  It's starting to slow down though.  I went from losing around 5 lbs a week when I first started to now around 3.  So I imagine the next 20 or 30 lbs are going to be the hard ones and it'll take another 10 or so weeks.  Oh well.  I want to be around 220 for my birthday (july 29).  I'm at 248.  I'm also finally beginning to lose around my abdomen.  So far most of my fat loss has been on my moobs, thighs and arms.  I've gone down 2 pants sizes (42 to 38) but I'd assume 40 lbs would be more than 2 pants sizes!  But it's finally happening.  Thank god.

Edit: apparently (after getting curious and looking it up), 2 pants sizes is about right.  Generally 10 lbs is 1 pt size.  So 40 lbs would bring me from a 42 to 38.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:05:52 PM by Mupepe »

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2290 on: May 06, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »
Yeah, I've not lost more than a few pounds over the last couple of weeks.  But I know I'm burning fat.  I'm losing it everywhere but in my lower abdomen and thighs.  I can't decide if I need more cardio or if I need to do more strength focused exercises for my legs.

I do squats and planks right now.  Suggestions?
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2291 on: May 06, 2011, 03:51:57 PM »
Well working your legs more won't help you burn fat in your thighs or abdomen.  just keep up with your cardio and diet and re evaluate as needed.  That's what i do every few weeks.  I've actually upped my calories a few times to keep my weight loss steady. 

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2292 on: May 06, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
I think I'm going to have to revisit my Fitday account and track a few days worth of eating.  I want to see what my carb intake is doing and if I'm getting enough of that other important shit (that seems to have evaded my mind right now).

I know that I'm not exercising too little.  And I thought that I was following the PB fitness guidelines on cardio pretty well (3-5 hours a week, low level), but maybe I'm not getting enough of an intensity in...
WTF

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2293 on: May 06, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »
I haven't had a mg of caffeine since I last typed that post.  I more or less crashed on Monday and Tuesday and felt great for the rest of the week.  I was surprised it was so short.
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2294 on: May 07, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »
well done. I need to kick that habit one of these days. Wish I could get coconut oil too! I use macadamia oil for most things now, although the morning eggs still get fried in the bacon grease! :drool

Andrew - the abdomen will be the last to go, most likely. Nothing you can do but just keep at it. Unfortunately it gets harder, as Mups is discovering. The body has a strong tendency towards homeostasis, and many ways of preserving it. So the longer you are overweight, the more your body will tend to think of that as the natural state, and attempt to preserve it. Skinny people stay skinny, fat people stay fat. Maddening as that may be to us.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2295 on: May 07, 2011, 12:34:51 AM »
Well, it's at least good to know that I'm not unconsciously being lazy or something.  I think I still might "up" the cardio just a bit.  I also want to start getting in regular sprint sessions.  More regular than once every 3 weeks anyway...   :lol
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2296 on: May 07, 2011, 03:36:33 AM »
your appetite will climb though, so you have to be super-careful.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2297 on: May 07, 2011, 06:31:43 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm only going to increase it to the Mark Sisson standard of once every 7-10 days.  Probably once in the week I'll get on the treadmill and run or something, at least until it dries out here a little more, and then I'll go to the highschool football field or something.

I'm already worried about my appetite a little.  I've been on strict paleo/primal the past few weeks, but you know how fat people are.  We will find a way to fuck up any diet.  I'm going to track yesterday, today, and tomorrow on Fitday and see how my micronutrients are breaking down.
WTF

Beezy

« Reply #2298 on: May 10, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
God, I hate running.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2299 on: May 10, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm only going to increase it to the Mark Sisson standard of once every 7-10 days.  Probably once in the week I'll get on the treadmill and run or something, at least until it dries out here a little more, and then I'll go to the highschool football field or something.

I'm already worried about my appetite a little.  I've been on strict paleo/primal the past few weeks, but you know how fat people are.  We will find a way to fuck up any diet.  I'm going to track yesterday, today, and tomorrow on Fitday and see how my micronutrients are breaking down.
How long did you track originally?  I still track mine because it's very easy to slowly up portions, add new items, etc and not realize how over time it adds up and in you are in a surplus of calories all of a sudden.  It's too easy to track not to do it IMO.

I love running.  I hate running after or before lifting weights.

Beezy

« Reply #2300 on: May 10, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
I can't keep a pace and I get tired really quick.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2301 on: May 10, 2011, 02:36:36 PM »
how fast are you trying to go?  just stay low and consistent for a while.  You'll move up little by little.

Beezy

« Reply #2302 on: May 10, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
I'm not trying to go fast at all, but I'm not use to going slow so I gradually speed up without realizing it.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2303 on: May 10, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
If you want to get really geeky about it, you could get a heart rate monitor. A friend of mine used one all the time for running interval training. It enables you to get really precise about pace Once you figure out your max heartrate, you can then calculate 90% of max, 80% of max etc and build up a training schedule with that.

....or you just use a stopwatch and you will get used to figuring out your pace all by yourself soon enough!
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2304 on: May 10, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »
How long did you track originally?  I still track mine because it's very easy to slowly up portions, add new items, etc and not realize how over time it adds up and in you are in a surplus of calories all of a sudden.  It's too easy to track not to do it IMO.

Honestly?  Two or three days in the beginning and that was about it...  :( 

I know that I've added in a few things that aren't necessarily bad, unless you have them in unhealthy amounts like I'm noticing that I did.  I have a couple of days that I've tracked and I can see where I screwed up without even noticing it.  I have a couple of things that I've consumed, knowing better than to have them, but not caring at the moment until I programmed them in and looked at the results...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
like a candybar...  :o
[close]

WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2305 on: May 10, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
Another option is just to eat the same few (good) meals over and over again. Then you know exactly what you're getting. Also, only eating food you prepare yourself is the best way to keep honest. You will almost never bother to make a chocolate dessert vs grabbing a candy bar.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2306 on: May 10, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »
Another option is just to eat the same few (good) meals over and over again. Then you know exactly what you're getting. Also, only eating food you prepare yourself is the best way to keep honest. You will almost never bother to make a chocolate dessert vs grabbing a candy bar.

And for the most part, I do.  I make a lot of salads that I even put oil and vinegar on instead of salad dressing.  I actually rarely eat out anymore, and if I do, it's from one place that makes a rocking salad that is all Paleo except for the pepperoni that they throw in.  I think the big thing for me is keeping myself away from the temptation until it's not as tempting to me.  I.E. Dark chocolate may be good in moderation, but if I don't have enough self control to moderate myself, then it's all for nothing.  Same goes for yogurt and fruits.
WTF

Beezy

« Reply #2307 on: May 10, 2011, 11:36:07 PM »
If you want to get really geeky about it, you could get a heart rate monitor. A friend of mine used one all the time for running interval training. It enables you to get really precise about pace Once you figure out your max heartrate, you can then calculate 90% of max, 80% of max etc and build up a training schedule with that.

....or you just use a stopwatch and you will get used to figuring out your pace all by yourself soon enough!
Yeah... that seems like too much. I might get a stopwatch though.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2308 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:32 PM »
I just use the one on an old iPod nano myself. No need for anything fancier.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2309 on: May 11, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
Monday through Friday I eat pretty much the exact same thing every day.  I got used to it.  It's easier on the wallet, makes me life less of a hassle trying to decide what to eat and then trying to decide if that's healthy for me.  I'll usually get a package of chicken thighs and bake them all for the entire week.  And then I boil about half a pound of green beans.  The chicken lasts me a week, the green beans last me two weeks (they stay fresh for almost 3 weeks surprisingly).  I buy a bunch of tuna too.  The night before I'll just weigh and measure my food and pack it for the next day.  Takes about 5 minutes.  I buy about 5 dozen eggs every two weeks and a bottle of olive oil once a month.  Some days I get tired of how repetitive it is (usually once a week) and I'll head to my local meat market and buy a pound of carne asada for 4 dollars.  8 oz that night for dinner and still 8 oz for the next day for lunch.  It provides a nice break and is perfectly acceptable on my diet. 

Then on the last meal of Friday and all of Saturday I'll use my own discretion on what I eat and it usually has more carbs.  By Sunday I'm back on my diet.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2310 on: May 11, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
I just measured out four days worth of food on Fitday.com, and I can already see the problem.

Day 1 - Calorie Total = 2,241, Carb Total = 124.8
Day 2 - Calorie Total = 3,307, Carb Total = 133.0
Day 3 - Calorie Total = 2,875, Carb Total = 127.7
Day 4 - Calorie Total = 2,571, Carb Total = 168.8

Image is pretty big, spoilered to keep from exploding your browser.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

It's easy to see from there why I'm staying at the same weight.  The culprits that put me over the top on those four days were: Yogurt, Strawberries, Dark Chocolate, Sugar, and Candy Bars.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2311 on: May 11, 2011, 10:07:11 AM »
Yeah, that's a bit too much carbs and even worse if it's coming from sugars.  I'm on a keto diet so my carb intake is between about 30 grams a day.  And 20 of those everyday is from my protein shake.  The rest from almonds, carb traces in eggs and green beans.

I'm switching to a whey isolate shake next week though and so it will bring my carbs from shakes down to 8 grams.  So I'll have about 12 more grams of carbs to play with.  I'm going to start making the coconut flour tortillas and go back to eating tacos that way!  haha  I'll probably make a stack of raw ones and have one with my eggs in the morning and at night.  Two carbs there.  And then every once in a while have a few when I do my carne asade nights.  That will still be less carbs than what I'm currently getting with my protein shakes.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2312 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »
I've got other things attributing to my carbs, but those were the things that I could have done without or really moderated until they had no effect on me.  It's really just a kick in the pants reminding me to stay away from sweets...
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2313 on: May 11, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »
I'd say track everyday for at least a month.  By then it'll be habit to think about what you eat in realistic terms.  It's easy to undershoot calories when you're craving something. 

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2314 on: May 11, 2011, 10:04:24 PM »
calorie tracking is essential to weight loss, i've found. i target 1700/day on average, and i keep the carbs between 60-100g. i am holding at a good 175-180 right now, with about almost a pound of muscle gain per month-and-a-half based on a stable body fat measurement. (love that free m$ proclub membership!) i am hoping to start to see some visible abs come the fall, but getting this last band of belly fat off is a PAIN
duc

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2315 on: May 11, 2011, 10:33:33 PM »
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to take Mups advice on this one.  I tracked my food intake today and it was much better.  Only 76g of carbs.  My calorie intake is usually right on par or below it, so I'm not too concerned about it.  But it's doing well too!

Oh, and for those in the FitnessBore that have kids, try chasing them around the perimeter of your house 5 times.  I tried this after mowing my yard for an hour today and my three year old has got one hell of a sprint on him. 
WTF

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2316 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
i have a kid, and i spend most of my evening chasing her so i can stuff her in a scorpion pit and/or prayer closet
duc

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2317 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:28 PM »
i have a kid, and i spend most of my evening chasing her so i can stuff her in a scorpion pit and/or prayer closet

You're better than me then.  I just like to take my kid's toys and nonchalantly place them in or by the road...  :lol

Kid dodges traffic like a champ now.
WTF

Beezy

« Reply #2318 on: May 12, 2011, 09:44:50 AM »
Why is it that when I'm on a treadmill I can run for a good while just fine, but when I'm actually running on the ground I feel like I'm gonna die in just a few minutes?

You're better than me then.  I just like to take my kid's toys and nonchalantly place them in or by the road...  :lol

Kid dodges traffic like a champ now.
:rofl

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2319 on: May 12, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
can be a lot of factors: you can't closely monitor your speed like you can on a treadmill so you probably end up going faster than what you're used to, if it's outside you have the sun, heat and humidity instead of a cool, dry air conditioned environment and lastly, running on pavement is just harder compared to a treadmill.  Not sure of the science behind it, but it's more difficult and taxing on the body for sure.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2320 on: May 12, 2011, 11:37:39 AM »
The science of it: On a treadmill, you are not actually propelling your body forward through space. The motion of the treadmill helps you keep the running motion going a lot more than you might think (if you doubt that, think about how hard it is to stop safely when going fast on a treadmill, and how easy it is to stop when running at the same speed outside). When running on ground etc, you have to PUSH against it, rather than just pick up your feet again. This is why a lot of treadmill warriors get owned when they do road-runs for the first time. Also, the harder the surface, the harder it is on your joints, which makes you (consciously or subconsciously) reluctant to go as hard.

Andrew - depressing I know, but do remember to take the hooch into account when entering those FitDay things. And if you do drink, you have to be honest about the measures. I know that 'my' glasses of wine are around 2 regular measures (I don't want to be bothered getting up to refill... :lol). I may think I've only had 2 glasses but hey 2/3rds of the bottle is gone...i actually had 4.
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2321 on: May 12, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
I don't run at all.  I just work my ass off in the weight room until I can barely pick up my arms, legs, etc.  I figure if I'm dripping with sweat at the end, then it's all good.

Got my blood pressure checked out today and it is 100/54.  Pulse is a flat 50.  Yet my foods are all full of fat ???  how can this be!
🍆🍆

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2322 on: May 12, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
i stopped caring about fats altogether as long as i am reasonably assured the greater volume of them are omega-3. they're high calorically which is a bit of a bitch, but i'd rather eat a massive omelet with free range eggs and bacon in the morning and have a small dinner
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2323 on: May 12, 2011, 09:43:22 PM »
T-EXP - you know, I remember the days when I would post stuff like that and people would run screaming for wikipedia to refute the insanity of what I was saying :lol

Now it seems pretty much everyone is on the magic bus :)
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #2324 on: May 12, 2011, 09:59:30 PM »
where do you even buy free range, grass fed, pastured or whatever meat/eggs?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2325 on: May 12, 2011, 10:41:17 PM »
you're right, it's impossible, give up and get fat
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #2326 on: May 12, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
while that is sound advice, I worry you took my previous post as sarcasm and responded accordingly

It was an actual question.  I don't believe I've run across that stuff at the grocery or trader joes or anywhere that's more convenient.  I assume you lot go to a farmers market...?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2327 on: May 13, 2011, 12:12:10 AM »
I can't give you any advice on where to buy it unless you live in Tokyo. But inherent in your question is the idea that this is some superhumanly difficult task that only monomaniacs would bother with. It isn't. Use Google or go to a farmer's market or Whole Foods and start reading labels.

This is an awesome bit from Kurt Harris btw (aimed at the layman, no scary science...)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/p-nu/201104/smoking-candy-cigarettes
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2328 on: May 13, 2011, 12:15:36 AM »
I don't give a shit about fats. I i have less than 80 grams of fat a day i get tired and get headaches. 80-130 Grams of fat seem to be the sweet spot for me

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2329 on: May 13, 2011, 01:13:19 AM »
We need a competition to see who can eat the fattiest, most protein-intense meal :lol
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #2330 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:24 AM »
I can't give you any advice on where to buy it unless you live in Tokyo. But inherent in your question is the idea that this is some superhumanly difficult task that only monomaniacs would bother with. It isn't. Use Google or go to a farmer's market or Whole Foods and start reading labels.

This is an awesome bit from Kurt Harris btw (aimed at the layman, no scary science...)

Grocery stores are just strategically placed to be convenient.  There are at least three within walking distance from me; a bit further is a Trader Joes.  Not so much a difficult task, but a more difficult task without any real context on how to find where local farmers sell.

Actually, didn't even think about Whole Foods, so thanks.  I haven't really gone there before but there is one fairly close by.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2331 on: May 13, 2011, 01:29:17 AM »
remember that just because it says 'organic' on the label, doesn't mean it is worth paying more for. There is a lot to learn.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2332 on: May 13, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
Where I'm at, getting free-range, grass-fed, hormon-free, and all that shit is easy.  Because I'm in rural Eastern Kentucky and that's all these people know.   :lol

I did have a friend say that he found a local farmer looking to sell eggs, whole cattle, chickens, and pigs for consumption all on Craigslist.  Don't know if it will work for you, but it's an idea.

Cormac - As far as the alcohol goes, I've really cut back.  Don't get me wrong; there's always a bottle of bourbon in my cabinet, but I don't drink as often as I used to.  The other night, I had a Leinenkugel beer after a long day of yard work, but not before I checked to see how many carbs I'd had and how many that was going to put me up to.  Since tracking those initial three days, I'm been putting everything into FitDay just to keep myself on the track.  I'm doing really well so far.
WTF

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2333 on: May 13, 2011, 10:26:59 AM »
you're right, it's impossible, give up and get fat

:rock
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2334 on: May 13, 2011, 03:13:22 PM »
I live in the midwest so it is easy to get access to grass fed beef or free range eggs.  I still get store bought omega 3 eggs as I don't know anyone that makes free range omega 3 eggs that I can buy locally.  The downside is that the prices are higher but to put it in perspective, once you figure in the costs of the inevitable heart disease complications, insulin, etc. of eating a chiefly grain diet, suddenly those grass fed beef prices seem a lot more reasonable.

There's usually a whole foods in any somewhat decent sized city.  You might have to do some Googling also; you might find something there.

T-EXP - you know, I remember the days when I would post stuff like that and people would run screaming for wikipedia to refute the insanity of what I was saying :lol

Now it seems pretty much everyone is on the magic bus :)

It's an uphill battle when it comes to convincing people of stuff like this.  This information goes against the grain of at least a couple of generations of mainstream nutrition knowledge.  When it works, it works, and I think that is why everyone is on the magic bus.  The SA thread is a great read as well.

When I was losing weight seven years ago, I took the 20/40/40 approach.  I heard about going into ketosis but it seemed way too extreme and possibly unhealthy.  Granted, I never did any research on it and it was that time where there was that backlash to atkins so there you go.

Those statistics are the healthiest I've been ever since I started going to physicals for track in junior high school.  I thought about later in the year going in for bloodwork to see where hormones are ranging.  I know that I haven't felt this great since ever and I wonder if my testosterone levels at age 26 were better than when I was obese at 18.  Should be an eye opener for sure.

🍆🍆

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2335 on: May 13, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »

Now it seems pretty much everyone is on the magic bus drinking my Kool-Aid :)

:lol
WTF

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2336 on: May 13, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »

Wear your Real Food Uniform.

Active Duty.

Fly your freak-flag high.

Say no to the cake.

i lol'd
AMC

Rman

« Reply #2337 on: May 13, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
Started to bike ride again as the weather gets nice. 

Rman

« Reply #2338 on: May 13, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »
where do you even buy free range, grass fed, pastured or whatever meat/eggs?

In the US?

http://www.eatwild.com/

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2339 on: May 13, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
In all seriousness, I just browsed the past couple of pages and have occasionally jumped in here for to read when bored. My weight/cholesterol/shape have always been decent, but I've always had acne issues. Still do. Even took Accutane when I was a teenager (and then a second time, but my parents stopped the cycle because they thought it was making me depressed), but I still get shit mostly on my back. Since Cormac seems like the expert on this diet stuff, you think adopting that sort of animal meat, no carbs, free-range diet would help? I have had a doctor tell me that cutting back on the carbs would possibly help, but I haven't really tried enough since then.
AMC