Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 813547 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #3000 on: August 16, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »
Had an interesting result at the gym the other day - I deadlifted heavy for the first time in 3 months, and added 15kg to my 1RM. The only thing I've done in the interim is kettlebells.

To a certain extent, that's deceptive as I'm just regaining strength I had lost. On the other hand, I was surprised as I really didn't expect kettlebell strength to translate into 1RM type barbell strength much. Will be interesting to see if I can actually get back to my PB levels or beat it with only KB training and the occasional gym trip for some max effort style lifting.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3001 on: August 17, 2011, 11:46:59 PM »
Great roundtable between Robb Wolf, Mat Lalonde and Mark Sisson. Gets rowdy! Just goes to show how much of a work in progress this whole deal is.

http://robbwolf.com/2011/08/09/the-paleo-solution-episode-92/
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #3002 on: August 18, 2011, 12:27:57 AM »
Had an interesting result at the gym the other day - I deadlifted heavy for the first time in 3 months, and added 15kg to my 1RM. The only thing I've done in the interim is kettlebells.

To a certain extent, that's deceptive as I'm just regaining strength I had lost. On the other hand, I was surprised as I really didn't expect kettlebell strength to translate into 1RM type barbell strength much. Will be interesting to see if I can actually get back to my PB levels or beat it with only KB training and the occasional gym trip for some max effort style lifting.

You mean your deadlift 1RM had gone down before working with KBs?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3003 on: August 18, 2011, 12:28:53 AM »
what else could that mean?
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3004 on: August 18, 2011, 12:32:54 AM »
I was just surprised that your power went down a bit since you've been working out consistently for quite a long time now. 

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3005 on: August 18, 2011, 12:41:35 AM »
Great roundtable between Robb Wolf, Mat Lalonde and Mark Sisson. Gets rowdy! Just goes to show how much of a work in progress this whole deal is.

http://robbwolf.com/2011/08/09/the-paleo-solution-episode-92/

I'm only about 65% paleo but I've been pimping all your info to my friends.  They are sorta my guinea pigs.  I want to see if I can turn below-average shaped people into studs. 

Two guys have started on it for about a month and claimed to have gotten great results.  I should be able to tell next time we play ball since they're pretty out of shape.   I've also gotten them to start lifting heavy but they make all sort of excuses for only working out sporadically. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3006 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:19 AM »
I was just surprised that your power went down a bit since you've been working out consistently for quite a long time now. 

Who said that? I had a huge gap when I started working from home where I didn't lift heavy for at least 6 months.
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #3007 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »
ugh.  I got a handful of hours of sleep Tues night, then ran Wed morning and then I had to shoot a show last night.  I didn't do my strength training at all this morning.  I'll try to do it tonight if I can.

Since I'm just doing things like squats and pushups right now, as I get stronger should I add more reps going from 5x5 to 5x6 or should I go the other way and add more to each set (6x5, for example)?
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3008 on: August 18, 2011, 10:21:45 AM »
I don't think it matters a whole lot at the beginning, or after a long layoff. You will make rapid progress in any direction you go, as long as you are consistent and keep eating right/recovering right. Personally, if you are going to do these sets, I would focus more on reducing your rest between sets rather than increasing reps.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3009 on: August 18, 2011, 10:34:02 AM »
ok.  I was resting at 20 sec between reps.  I'll keep it there until it becomes noticeably easier.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3010 on: August 18, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
Start setting goals, and keeping track of your results. Track reps, times, rest intervals, weights used. Makes it much more rewarding. Start up a blog maybe (i have a non-public one that has 4 years' worth of data now)

Short-term goals are fine for now, since you probably have no idea what your relative strengths and weaknesses are yet anyway. Pick a number of push-ups you want to do in a set, a time you want to run a mile in etc etc. You'll probably be amazed at how quickly they start to fall. If you can get your GF or some friends in on the competition, do it! It'll keep everyone motivated.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3011 on: August 22, 2011, 06:58:09 AM »
forgive me, Taubes for i have sinned.  it has been one week since my last confession.

This weekend was the gf's birthday weekend, so we ate at restaurants a lot more than normal as we were out with friends (at bars for much of the time) or just out for most of the past three days.  I did my best to stay paleo, but it was just impossible in some instances.  i didn't binge on SAD foods by any means but i think that i had HFCS without realizing it until after the fact.  I had no idea that tonic water had so much sugar in it, so one less thing to consume.  I suppose on the alcohol front, my infrequent drinking will be relegated to whiskey sodas.  Staying Paleo outside your own kitchen can be quite difficult.

I was noticing some really horrible digestive effects within the past week of paleo, but I picked up some of the NOW Super enzymes and some lactose free Kefir and everything seems to have straightened out for now. 

The running is going better.  I'm on week 6 and able to push a bit harder for longer periods of time.  I'm not fast, but I'm faster than I was.

Strength training, still doing the 5x5 at current weights, mostly doing squats and pushups on run rest days.  Working on form more than anything else.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3012 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:48 AM »
I wonder why the digestive issues? Are you eating anything you rarely or never ate before? For me going Paleo (or more accurately, Primal) was a fairly simple matter of subtraction with very little if any addition.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3013 on: August 22, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »
I think it was the increase in eggs to be honest.  I would usually eat them only on weekends and occasionally if I bought breakfast in the city.  Now, I eat two a day.  Like you it was subtraction rather than addition, though there was a significant increase in what I was eating.

Bacon from being a weekend thing to being near daily, same with eggs.  Vegetables shifted slightly as I moved away from legumes, grains and starchy tubers and upped stuff like onions, peppers, spinach, squash and the like.

I changed brand and type of egg and still had the same issues.  I've since cut back on eggs and have also cut back on bacon, though this makes a breakfast without grains somewhat more difficult.

In addition to the enzymes, I've started an Omega3 supplement to try to balance out the wealth of Omega6. 

Tonya

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3014 on: August 22, 2011, 10:32:25 AM »
I had gas issues when I first started having fully paleo days.  It got worse when I added protein drinks to the mix.  After a week, I started feeling much better.  I think my GI just wasn't used to digesting so much protein.  I also started taking this enzyme mix (http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=M3-1003) which seems to further reduce the bloating. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3015 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »
For breakfast, 2 eggs should be the bare minimum if you are training at all. I usually have 3 or 4. There really isn't all that much protein in 'em sadly, only 5g or so I think. Also, I almost always have some veggies (or a tomato, which goddammit in my head is a vegetable) with breakfast. It's often the biggest meal of the day for me. I almost always have some leftover veggies in the fridge and just fry them along with the bacon. Bacon-fried broccoli was a revelation :drool
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3016 on: August 22, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
I usually fry some peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms up in bacon grease and then add 3 or 4 eggs after the veggies are cooked.  I've added cheese back in.  But it's salvadoran cheese and it seems to be a lot better on my digestive system than cheddar or mozzarella and I don't have to use as much.  Still not going to add milk into my diet again though. 

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3017 on: August 22, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »
I want to go hardcore Primal Blueprint for 30 days after I get done working at my old job.  I've only a little over two weeks left there, then I'll be able to stay at home.  Being away from home for a few days at a time makes things really hard to eat a decent diet.  I've been doing the best I can by eating salads, veggie mixes, and low-carb stuff from Hardee's while I'm gone. 

I have to say that I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel physically when I am and when I am not eating PB style.  I like the feeling of when I am.
WTF

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3018 on: August 22, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
I just ordered Primal Blueprint from Amazon and downloaded a Tabata app for my phone which will give me the timing for reps.  Hilariously, the program comes with a warning saying "Tabata Training is a very intensive training program and can lead to loss of consciousness" which I don't doubt, but still found amusing.
Tonya

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3019 on: August 22, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
I tried a class this evening called F/X Training.  It's supposed to be just like Crossfit.  I don't know if Crossfit is that hardcore, but I can tell you that I'm killed.  The routine went like this:  30 minutes broken down into 1-minute rotations including 10 rows, 15 pushups, and 20 squats.  If you completed the rotation then you got to rest until it started over, otherwise you did as much as possible before starting over. 

Then we started into a four-minute Tabata session of burpees, mountain climbers, snowboards, and jumping jacks.

When we got to Tabata, I couldn't even do half of a burpee because my arms were shot.   :lol
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3020 on: August 22, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
that sure sounds like all the worst possible aspects of Crossfit :maf

Far too much volume for a 1st timer. Just stupid, non-targeted training. The equivalent of frozen dinners at Applebees.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3021 on: August 22, 2011, 11:15:16 PM »
Tried to make a true paleo meal and totally failed. 

I threw some thinly sliced beef, vegetables, eggs, and calorieless yam noodles into a pot with some sukiyaki sauce.  I was pretty satisfied with myself until I read the nutritional label of the sauce and realize that it has a ton of sugars.   :(

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3022 on: August 23, 2011, 12:40:56 AM »
It could be infected.  Get a blood test. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3023 on: August 23, 2011, 12:45:26 AM »
Tried to make a true paleo meal and totally failed. 

I threw some thinly sliced beef, vegetables, eggs, and calorieless yam noodles into a pot with some sukiyaki sauce.  I was pretty satisfied with myself until I read the nutritional label of the sauce and realize that it has a ton of sugars.   :(

baby steps, dude, baby steps. Store-bought sauces are usually filled with salt, sugar or both, but the good news is you can usually make something that tastes great without sugar. After a while of no sugar, all that stuff tastes sickly anyway. For a stir-fry, a little soy sauce and rice wine with maybe some garlic/ginger paste should be all the flavor you need. Both soy sauce and rice wine have their own issues of course but better than sugar by far. I don't either of them regularly but don't worry too much about it when I do.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3024 on: August 23, 2011, 12:48:53 AM »
How about some low sodium chicken or beef broth?  I got a new nonstick pan which is really awesome.  I barely have to use any oil when frying eggs and no oil at all for meat. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3025 on: August 23, 2011, 12:51:40 AM »
I got no problem with sodium! Many paleo people eat broth just to make sure they are getting ENOUGH sodium :lol
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3026 on: August 23, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
Cormac, have you checked out this site http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?

http://www.leangains.com/p/my-transformation.html

The guy has some impressive results but I'm starting to think it's just broscience after 2-3 weeks of trying it with no discernible increase in fat loss. 

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3027 on: August 23, 2011, 07:26:25 AM »
i totally killed it* on my run this morning.  i normally manage about 2.25 to 2.5 miles in 30 minutes but this morning I did 3.02.  I didn't do anything different.  I just...ran.  Great feeling.

*killed it to my relative and current fitness
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3028 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:27 AM »
Cormac, have you checked out this site http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?

http://www.leangains.com/p/my-transformation.html

The guy has some impressive results but I'm starting to think it's just broscience after 2-3 weeks of trying it with no discernible increase in fat loss. 
Someone here was doing IF.  I think it was rman.  He seemed to get good results.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3029 on: August 23, 2011, 11:41:22 PM »
I can confirm IF training is crap for high intensity workouts, at least for my body.

I tried a new routine my friend send me (below) and was almost dead by the time I finished the split-legged DB squat.  I couldn't even finish the leg curls and calf raises.  My legs felt weightless on the last set of squats.  It's been a long time since I've felt this horrible and I've been doing workouts that were even more intensive.   I guess 16 hrs of fasting is simply too much for a workout like this. 

Single leg on-off box jumps
2x10  Per leg

Lateral cone jump
2x10

Single leg squat 3x10

Dumbell Split Squat
3x10

Barbell Squat 3x8

Leg Curl 3x10

Standing Calf Raises 3x20

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3030 on: August 25, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »
i think my digestive issues were caused by the eggs.  I haven't eaten any in two days and i haven't had any issues.  That's a shame.  I'm getting my morning fat from greek yogurt for now.  I also upgraded my bacon from generic store bought bacon to Applegate's brand (no nitrates, etc).  It's literally twice as much, but I figure it's probably better for me if I'm going to be eating it this much.  I've found a great little park along the water where I work where I can go for 3 mile walks during lunch.  I'm going that on run rest days when I do squats / pushups in the morning. 

I found myself absolutely needing a belt on my pants this morning.  That was a pretty great feeling.  Making good progress quickly.

There's a 5k run in two weeks for which I was thinking of signing up.

edit: and I signed up for it. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:05:24 AM by Eric P »
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3031 on: August 25, 2011, 11:17:21 AM »
what kind of eggs were you using?  I found that the omega eggs don't sit well with me and when i switched to either regular supermarket or plain free range it cleared up

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3032 on: August 25, 2011, 11:20:58 AM »
Just one thing - If you're eating bacon in the morning, you probably don't need the yoghurt.  I understand that you WANT it but sorry :lol
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3033 on: August 25, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
You've always eaten all my yogurt after having my pork in your mouth, Cormac.  ???

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3034 on: August 25, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
what kind of eggs were you using?  I found that the omega eggs don't sit well with me and when i switched to either regular supermarket or plain free range it cleared up

i was using plain, but had switched to omega3.  I'll try plain and see if that doesn't solve the issue.

Just one thing - If you're eating bacon in the morning, you probably don't need the yoghurt.  I understand that you WANT it but sorry :lol

it seems strange to cut back from 2 strips bacon, small greens salad and 2/3 eggs to just the bacon and the small greens.  I need that extra "oomph" of fat for satiety that lasts until lunch.
Tonya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3035 on: August 25, 2011, 08:22:59 PM »
i had close to a kg of pork for breakfast this morning. :rock

READY FOR ANYTHING but more accurately READY FOR MORE FOOD ALREADY!

More like ready to shit pigs later on.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3036 on: August 25, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »

i was using plain, but had switched to omega3.  I'll try plain and see if that doesn't solve the issue.

it seems strange to cut back from 2 strips bacon, small greens salad and 2/3 eggs to just the bacon and the small greens.  I need that extra "oomph" of fat for satiety that lasts until lunch.

ok, but you never want to be reliant on dairy for anything. Especially at the beginning, you should be trying to cut it out completely. Otherwise you will never know if it is causing you digestive issues or not. Even the fattiest yoghurt is very far from pure fat. In short, I recommend more bacon if you are still hungry. Leave the yoghurt, cheese etc out for the first month, especially since you are trying to lose weight.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3037 on: August 25, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
I cut out milk for 2-3 months and then had crazy gas when I drank two glasses of chocolate milk in one day last week.  I tried drinking milk again this week and was fine.  I guess my lactases go down significantly when not drinking milk regularly. 

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3038 on: August 26, 2011, 06:35:38 AM »

ok, but you never want to be reliant on dairy for anything. Especially at the beginning, you should be trying to cut it out completely. Otherwise you will never know if it is causing you digestive issues or not. Even the fattiest yoghurt is very far from pure fat. In short, I recommend more bacon if you are still hungry. Leave the yoghurt, cheese etc out for the first month, especially since you are trying to lose weight.

MOAR BACON?  YESSIR

Yeah the only dairy i'm ingesting is kefir (plain, no sugar added) and the yogurt. 
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3039 on: August 27, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »
Here's a fun run to do in the morning; go out for 45 minutes, in 77F at 92% humidity.

fucking soaked by the time i came back
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3040 on: August 27, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
why the running, dare i ask
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3041 on: August 27, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »
does it sound like he enjoyed it
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3042 on: August 27, 2011, 12:44:42 PM »
oh shut it.

It's a reasonable question to ask, given that all the books he's supposedly basing his big lifestyle change on are pretty much dead set against regular long runs.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #3043 on: August 27, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »
running is relaxing

I suppose it's more of a hobby than exercise

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3044 on: August 27, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »
I started it as a way to loose weight but now I'm doing it because i enjoy it.  My runs are about 30 minutes of actual running every other day.  strength training on the off days.
Tonya

Smooth Groove

« Reply #3045 on: August 27, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »

Lost about 5 kg since starting out, not the best and I'm pretty disappointed by it but I'll keep going. Aside from my daily gym visits, which are scheduled as:

Saturday: Chest and Biceps.
Sunday: Back and Triceps.
Monday: Shoulders
Tuesday: Abdomen.
Wednesday: Legs and Forearms.
Thursday: Rotation.
Friday: day off.

I run the treadmill at home using its 30 minute weight loss setting and its 30 minute fitness setting. I add in about 150 crunches and 100 situps cause my abs are really out of shape, some bicep curls and forearm exercises as well. I'm thinking of taking up yoga again since that always left my body relaxed, and maybe working on fixing my posture cause dat ass.

Any advice is welcome.

Monday: Guns

Dumbell Concentration Curls (3 sets of 12-15)

Preacher Curls with EZ-Curl Bar (3 sets of 12-15): I try to keep my range of motion to just the top 1/3 of the lift because it really helps me feel the burn.

Cable Curls with EZ-Curl Cable Handle (3 sets of 8-12): This is my main mass builder that I hit after I’ve already worked on shape.

Alternating Dumbell Curls on 60 Degree Incline Bench, Supinating Hands: (3 sets of 8-12): Another mass monster. These really work my lower bicep!

Tricep Kickbacks (3 sets of 15-20): ‘nuff said

Rope Pushdowns (3 sets of 12-15): The key here is to pull your hands apart at the bottom. If you can’t feel the burn with these, then there’s something wrong. These hit the “horseshoe” that the ladies salivate over.

Cable French Press Machine (3 sets of 8-12) Killer for size. These’ll put slabs of meat on the backs of your arms. Great for the long head of the tricep.

Close Grip Burnouts: (3 sets of ?): This is an excellent finisher. Just grab a barbell, or better yet, an EZ-Curl bar, and rep out, baby. No need to add any weight (maybe nickels if you’re using an EZ-Curl Bar) – just hit it for as many reps as you can muster. If you have a spotter, finish the set with 10 negatives. Have her lift the bar off your chest… you just lower it as slow as you can. Your girlfriend can thank me later for this one.

Tuesday: Pecs

After guns, pecs is the second most important muscle group. It consists of three different muscles, the upper pecs, the lower pecs and the middle or main pecs.

Incline Smith Machine Press (3 sets of 10-12): This works the upper pecs really well. It’s important to always start with inclines. Some guys work the flat stuff first, but upper pecs are what really draw attention. When you’re wearing a tight t-shirt, the upper pec’s are what really give your chest that “pop”.

Flat Smith Machine Press (3 sets of 10-12): Not much to say here. Use a weight that lets you get 8-9 reps, then have your spotter help you with a couple forced reps, then a couple negatives. Can you say “burn”?

Decline flyes (3 sets of 15-20): I don’t really like using dumbbells because, truthfully, they’re often a recipe for injury. It’s best to lock in your range of motion with a machine of some sort, but sometimes, the flyes machine doesn’t let you raise the seat enough to make it a true decline. Just be sure to use light weight on these. The idea is to control it and really squeeze your lower pecs together at the top. You know you’ve been doing good on these when you can grasp a ten pound plate with your meavage (male cleavage).

Flye Machine (3 sets of 12-15): You can go a little heavier on these because it’s a machine, but still keep it relatively light. This is a good shaper for the main pecs.

Cable Crossovers (1 set of ?): That’s right… burn it out. Every workout should end with a burnout set. It gets your metabolism going. If you want to be shredded, take my advice.

Wednesday: Guns

Repeat Monday or some variation of. As we talked about, guns are the strongest, most important muscle group and for that reason, they can tolerate more work than the others.

Thursday: Deltoids

Giant Set (3-way superset), side cable laterals, rear cable laterals, front raises with a plate (3 sets of 12-15 each): You want cannonball delts? This is how to get it done. Make sure to change the setup on the cable machine between subsets 1 and 2 as quickly as possible. You want this to be one continuous set for the best pump.

If you do your giant set the right way, you really don’t need to do anything more for delts. If you want, you can do a little bit of Smith Machine work, but make sure not to overtrain. If you get too much lactic acid in your muscles, it can disintegrate the fibers. Maybe just one burnout set with no weight.

Friday: Lats and Quads

No one really sees these muscles, so you definitely want to work them at the end of the week. If you live in a warmer climate and have your shirt off a lot, you may want to hit your lats a little harder than most.

Lats:

Wide Grip, Behind the Neck Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): These give you the V-shape. The wider you can grip the bar, the wider your V will be. It’s fact and has been written about in a lot of articles. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, bitches, it’s Lat-man.

Front Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12): Again, think wide!

Machine Pulldowns (3 sets of 10-12, 1 burnout): Hopefully, your club has one of these Hammer Strength machines cuz it’s the BOMB!

Quads:

Be careful here. You don’t want big tree trunk legs. You’ve got to hit these just enough to bring out the tear drop and, if you’re lucky, maybe a few striations.

Leg extensions (5 sets of 15-20, 1 burnout): Keep the reps high for maximum pain. You’ll notice I put these down for 5 sets. Just concentrate on these. Most other leg exercises will make you too bulky, and jeans for big legged guys are hard to find, right, fellas? By all means, DO NOT squat unless you want to end up in a wheelchair with your knee muscles all torn up.

Leg curls (3 sets of 15-20): These work the back of your quads. A lot of people don’t bother with them, but it’s a little known fact that you can get striations in the back of your quads, too. Just keep it light to work on shape.

Everyday: Abs

Crunches on a ball (5 sets of 100): Get a ball at home so you can dedicate some time to shredding up your abs. Every other set, go side to side so you hit your intercostals and serratus.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3046 on: August 27, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »
nice try smooth :lol
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3047 on: August 28, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »
running is the worst

and not for any fancy reason cormac references

it just sucks
AMC

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3048 on: August 30, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
I just got on the PB website and saw Mark's recipe for homemade ranch dressing.  I didn't have all of the ingredients, but I had the important ones.  It's pretty fucking tasty.   :drool
WTF

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3049 on: September 01, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »
Another update:  I'm going hardcore Primal Blueprint for the next 30 days to get myself back on track.  In the spirit of the month to come (and because my family can't stand the smell and they're all out of the house today) I have cooked up three packages of bacon and stored it in the fridge for convenient breakfasts!
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3050 on: September 01, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
... who the fuck doesn't like the smell of bacon???

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #3051 on: September 01, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »
My mom and my sister are weird.  I want to make the grease into a candle, cause I love that fucking smell so much.
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3052 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
:lol :lol

dooooooooooooo it

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3053 on: September 01, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »
I realized yesterday that I'd been doing primal / paleo for a month.  Doesn't even feel like it.

While eating out is a huge pain in the ass, there hasn't been any sort of cheating or slipping or desire to cheat, really. A coworker walked by offering homemade fudge today and I didn't bat an eye.

As I come to the end of the couch to 5k plan which got me up and moving I'm going to try to transition over to the Primal Blueprint Fitness guide which basically means slowing down my runs, adding sprinting one day a week and looking to structure my work outs.

As my finances are directed elsewhere right now, I'm just doing body weight exercises for strength training (push ups, squats and planks five sets of ten each with 20 seconds rest between cycles).
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3054 on: September 01, 2011, 01:19:16 PM »
We can go out, but I make certain I'm the one who compromises rather than the gf.  I can usually find something that will at least tide me over (witness the amazing poring over a menu for 13 minutes finding the least worst option!) until I can get somewhere with something better

but it was just so amazing to realize how much stuff is just packed full of grains.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3055 on: September 01, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
This is where you find out how much they really respect your opinions and beliefs :lol

My wife is vegetarian, eats mostly carbs, sick all the time, gaining weight inexorably...knows exactly how I have fixed all these problems but won't listen to a fucking word I have to say about it :lol People just don't want to hear it until something clicks and they come to you, begging for advice. So weird. Exactly like junkie behaviour.

GREAT Paleo Solution podcast this week btw, with William Davis. Really drills down into the wheat problem with some ideas that were new to me - particularly fascinating is the theory that genetic engineering of wheat and other staples since the 70s was what really sent this whole thing into overdrive.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3056 on: September 01, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
All I can do is continue to stuff myself with bacon and eggs and walk around with my shirt off looking like a Greek god I suppose. It's tough but i'll stick with it for her sake
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3057 on: September 02, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
tabata sprints suuuuuck.

I couldn't even do the complete program.

I walked to a nearby park which has a loop, fired up my tabata timer and went flat out.  I ran so hard the momentum from my movement pulled my earplugs free and I didn't hear the end of the first set nor the start of the rest.  I looked down at my phone and saw I was in the second cycle.  I stopped, reset the program and started again.

By the third set it felt like my lungs were on fire and I had to take a quick breather, foregoing the fourth cycle and getting in a 20 second rest instead of a 20 second sprint, but I finished the remaining five with no issue.

I walked a few laps of the park to cool down, but my lungs still feel like they got punched. 

I definitely feel even that short workout in my legs though.  I think I'll do this at least once a week until I can do a full set.
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #3058 on: September 02, 2011, 07:37:28 AM »
Where are you getting this from? 8 20 secs sprints with 10 sec rest intervals? You'll injure yourself for sure leaping into something like that. Read Mark Sisson's sprint workout tips - there is a youtube vid as well. He recommends building up very gradually with very little volume initially...and this is from a former Iron Man triathlete.
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #3059 on: September 02, 2011, 09:04:16 AM »
ha.  i thought this was the slow warm up.  I was going to aim to do three of them once a week.

I was trying to find out about sprinting and I read about Tabata somewhere, and found this article

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/

I thought this would be the cosign.

In other news, yeah, I can't eat Omega 3 eggs.  I took them out of my diet, felt better, tried them this morning just to make certain and my stomach is a nightmare.

is pepto bismol paleo?
Tonya