Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 813547 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: FitnessBore - 2013 edition
« Reply #5040 on: February 05, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
Sort of getting interested in this paleo thing, seems right up my alley honestly...

do you guys make juices and smoothies?  I've been getting into making juices at home so I wondered what your favorites were

Well you want to go easy with sugar on paleo, so full on juices and smoothies aren't the best thing. Even proper juice (made 100% from fruit) has about as much sugar as soda.

I ternd to do smoothies with coconut milk and mix them most of the time with only one or two type of fruit. All kinds of berries are your friends as they're really low in sugar.  Pear and coconut tastes great together and sits between berries and bananas regarding sugar content. Blueberries and basil is a nice combination if you want something a little different.

I was thinking more of a vegetable-based juice.  I made one the other day with broccoli, celery, kiwi and green apple.  it was delicious.
püp

Himu

« Reply #5041 on: February 05, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »
We don't really recommend exercises that make you "look like" anything, including a female. If you want to get fitter, stronger, faster, and eat better, stick around. If not, don't.

Thanks!
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5042 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
If you're trying to lose muscle mass go vegan!
:9

Himu

« Reply #5043 on: February 05, 2013, 02:44:30 PM »
Ewwwww.

Estrogen will help me lose muscle mass in the arms and shoulders so I will worry about that later.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5044 on: February 05, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
carb nite underway...

feel so sick from pizza + chips + onion rings

and still have tow more insulin spikes to do  :'(
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5045 on: February 05, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
deep-fried foods are a problem as much because of the hydrogenated oil as the carbs, dude. If you enjoy them, you can put up with those effects on carb nite but CNS does nothing magical to make the body process them better. If you eat too much of it, you will feel really bad after a clean diet all week. Mashed potatoes or roast potatoes or something would give you much of the same enjoyment but none of the queasiness.

vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5046 on: February 05, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »
ya im remembering now why there was a reason I stopped eating fried food  :poop

one more insulin spike then IM OUT. prob gunna end it with ice cream or something.

what I did was:

2pm:
chips

4 pm:
pizza
onion rings
donut

6 pm:
chocolate bar

8 pm:
prob ice cream

will end up at like 350 carbs. I haven't eaten that in almost a year. the candy bar kicked my ass the most. once I ate it I felt instantly sick. the donut too. oh well, live and learn for next time.

e; I also have no idea how many carbs I was supposed to aim for on this night. fully expecting to have only supposed to have eaten like 50-100g lol
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:37:54 PM by MyNameIsMethodis »
USA

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #5047 on: February 05, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
deep-fried foods are a problem as much because of the hydrogenated oil as the carbs, dude. If you enjoy them, you can put up with those effects on carb nite but CNS does nothing magical to make the body process them better. If you eat too much of it, you will feel really bad after a clean diet all week. Mashed potatoes or roast potatoes or something would give you much of the same enjoyment but none of the queasiness.

I think my next carb night I'm going to eat relatively clean carbs. I pigged out on shit mostly out of some idea of it being a reward even though actually eating that food wasn't all that enjoyable by the time it happened.
___

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5048 on: February 05, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »
Why do you think mashed potatoes give you the same enjoyment as pizza? Is it because you're Irish?

A good mashed potato is fucking delicious  :maf
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5049 on: February 05, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »
Why do you think mashed potatoes give you the same enjoyment as pizza? Is it because you're Irish?

lazy Biz :wag

I'd been making my own pizza from scratch for years before all this, I am intimate with its joys
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5050 on: February 05, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »
Is that what I said?
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5051 on: February 05, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »
He said mashed and roasted potatos instead of onion rings which I agree
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5052 on: February 05, 2013, 09:17:18 PM »
i know it's only your crazy testosterone makin' ya rage brah
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5053 on: February 05, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
roast some diced potatoes with garlic-infused olive oil and bacon in the same pan and you are in for some crunchy carby good times
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5054 on: February 05, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »
Chris Kresser is bumming me out again...apparently regular fish oil isn't good enough, it needs to be FERMENTED COD LIVER fish oil and only one company makes it :rolleyes

Here is what he linked -

http://balancedbites.com/2013/02/faqs-all-about-fermented-cod-liver-oil-and-why-i-dont-take-fish-oil.html

he's probably right but ugh
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5055 on: February 05, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »
Here's the shitty thing - most of the supermarket fish here are factory-farmed from Chile or Norway etc. The Japan Sea is totally overfished and can't keep up with the traditional food culture demand for fish. So i eat plenty of salmon etc but it's rare that I get wild fish. Besides, he argues that FCLO should be considered a superfood that provides more than just Omega 3s. Most people don't actually eat fish livers when they eat fish. Plus they're very small
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5056 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »
Yeah, but we have to consider our foodstuffs in our modern context. The majority of what WE eat is low in nutrient density vs what THEY ate. Even organic vegetables have a fraction of the mineral content they used to, because the soil is mostly fucked from modern farming techniques. Cows don't live long enough to store those things in their fat either, because they are slaughtered younger thanks to growth hormones. Factory-farmed fish are terrible nutritionally compared to fresh-caught fish...the list goes on. So yeah, we EVOLVED fine without supplementing but that doesn't mean we don't need to supplement
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5057 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »
'minerals' above is shorthand for all the various nutrients that i can't be bothered listing....i'm toying with just saying 'electrolytes' from now on :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5058 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
The crazy thing to me is just how sensitive we actually are to nutritional density - it tastes better in every case. Everyone can tell the difference between a supermarket tomato and one from a small farm grown by someone who knows their shit and cares (whether 'organic' or not). And yet we have allowed people to systematically remove taste from our food. We wouldn't need fancy restaurants so much if we just had good ingredients at home. When was the last time you had a good apple? I had some great organic ones about a year ago that tasted better than anything I'd eaten since my childhood. Everything I buy from the supermarket tastes like sugary water by comparison, even though they look great and are crunchy.

/angry old man
vjj

« Reply #5059 on: February 05, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
I buy my produce from the farmers market. Everything is either organic and/or locally sourced/grown on a small farm. I realize that I'm incredibly lucky to have something near my house year round.
野球

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #5060 on: February 06, 2013, 12:05:48 AM »
Chris Kresser is bumming me out again...apparently regular fish oil isn't good enough, it needs to be FERMENTED COD LIVER fish oil and only one company makes it :rolleyes

Here is what he linked -

http://balancedbites.com/2013/02/faqs-all-about-fermented-cod-liver-oil-and-why-i-dont-take-fish-oil.html

he's probably right but ugh

i did two bottles of that stuff and felt AMAZING while taking it

but $60 for a month's supply is too rich for my blood.
Tonya

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5061 on: February 06, 2013, 07:10:01 AM »
I buy my produce from the farmers market. Everything is either organic and/or locally sourced/grown on a small farm. I realize that I'm incredibly lucky to have something near my house year round.

The town I live in now has several little farmer's markets in it and I love it.  The only drawback with them is that while the food may be locally grown, the product can sometimes still be inferior to what you can get at a supermarket (only in size and texture).  Yes, I know that those two factors are because of chemical enhancement during the growing process, but it's hard to adjust sometimes.  Still, I'm hoping for a year without a severe drought (unlike last year) so that my family can grow a big garden.  The stuff we get out of there is :drool.
WTF

Himu

« Reply #5062 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »
Jesus christ woke up today feeling like despite getting only 6 hours of sleep. This diet

Is it the exercise as well?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:48:03 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5063 on: February 06, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »
Eric P - I bought some of those liver tablets after you said great things but I don't think they did anything for me at all. Could be the same deal with the FCLO, I guess. 'cause it looks ruinously expensive to import it.
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #5064 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
Maybe it's my diet w/ the liver tablets.  I used to get really energetic w/ them at first after an hour or so of them hitting my system but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  maybe i was was nutrient deficient?  I don't really eat a lot of liver because each time i've tried to cook it, it turns out horrible and stinks up the house much to the dismay of the gf.

i'm still on that original tub though.

i am currently not taking any fish oils at all and am just trying to eat more wild caught salmon at least once a week.
Tonya

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5065 on: February 06, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Woke up this morning to being 10 lbs less  ???

bathroom scales :piss
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5066 on: February 06, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
I never used to have weight fluctuations until I got down to low bf %.  When I was 25% bf my weight would be consistent every morning.  Now I've pretty much given up on scales.  I can lose/gain 4-6 lbs one day to the next easily.  If I still cared about the number on the scale I'd be pulling my fucking hair out.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:57:20 AM by Mupepe »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5067 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »
yeah the % of water weight rises as BF declines.

I read the stupidest fucking Paleo blog the other day where the person was trumpeting their massive fat loss in 10 days, with no accounting for water weight...low-carb Paleo diet + CrossFit for a year, 8% of so BF, gained 10lbs in a single week on vacation, lost it again after a return to strict Paleo. Thought it was all fat, and isn't Paleo/CrossFit awesome. smh
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5068 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
You'd hope that someone that's able to get to 8% bf would be a bit more educated and understand how water weight works, but alas you still have idiots. 

I know some genetically gifted guys who eat like shit and maintain low bf and lots of muscle who swear that they have the secret while they chow down on donuts and french fries.  And then they try to give me lessons when they see me eating bacon.  I hate them.  Trying to debate them on the science behind it is like talking to a brick wall.  I basically get a response that consists of kissing their biceps and saying "look at these puppies.  I know what I'm talking about."  I hate them.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5069 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »
Sounds like Kiefer, basically. Except he actually does know what he's talking about
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5070 on: February 06, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
:fbm

I can at least laugh in secret because one of these guys is eating 2000 calories a day and wondering why he isn't gaining weight.  O.o  Keep struggling, brochacho.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5071 on: February 06, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
So, question, would I carb up on an off day knowing that I'll work out the next day? I've read that CBL is basically prepping your body for the next workout, so I figure I'd carb up as I normally would in preparation? But then I'm reading a Kiefer interview where he states CBL on an off-day should only be done if you plan on working out the next morning
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:43:28 PM by BlueTsunami »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5072 on: February 06, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
This is one of the details covered in the book (and earlier in the thread!).

It depends on how much glycogen you have stored in your body by the time you workout. If you have been 2-3 days of ULC and no backload, you might do better with a backload. If you are just hungry for pizza and have vague plans to work out tomorrow which might well be cancelled, especially if someone else orders pizza again, better skip it.
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5073 on: February 06, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
Cool, I skipped it and just going all protein tonight. I backloaded pretty big last night so I guess I'll still be good for Thursday. Def' working out tomorrow. Should get the book, will be a sure purchase when I get my tax returns back.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5074 on: February 06, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »
It also depends on what kind of workout you'll be doing. I think Kiefer probably needs to do a more comprehensive outline for that kind of thing. His plans are all about 5 workouts-plus a week, so basically backloads most nights. I don't do more than 2-3 workouts a week these days.

But as ever it depends on what the goal is. If you want to get huge and strong and don't care much about fat, eat carbs all the time. but presumably the reason anyone is interested in CBL in the first place is fat management....
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5075 on: February 06, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »
Yeah, its mostly for aesthetics so I don't mind the possible slower mass gains if it means I don't become tubby mctubbs and then have to drop it all a few months down the line.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5076 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »
yeah the whole point of CBL is to break that dumb cycle and just constantly be losing some fat and putting on some muscle.
vjj

Himu

« Reply #5077 on: February 06, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »
Goddamn I had energy all day. Fuck yes. Made myself a spinach with beef 4 egg omelet this morning. Are pistachios for snack and an mini salad for lunch, ate a broiled porkchop topped with basil and a side of spinach tonight for dinner. Spinach was my theme this week but I want to have a different theme next week. Not sure which but I may make it a baked chicken theme with a veggie based diet with a shitload of grilled chicken. Need to make me a huge ass salad on Sunday and eat that shit for lunch through the week.

Starting on my fitness plan besides speed walking tomorrow. Gonna do mostly cross fit working on lower body. Can't wait ans with all this energy built up it is gonna be one helluva work out.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5078 on: February 06, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
Crossfit? Yeah I'd work on strong lifts or starting strength programs to nail form first.

Himu

« Reply #5079 on: February 06, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
SOMEONE ruined my weeks supply of spinach by throwing potatoes in it. Are potatoes really that bad? Cormac? :(
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5080 on: February 06, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
SOMEONE ruined my weeks supply of spinach by throwing potatoes in it. Are potatoes really that bad? Cormac? :(

A single lil' ol' red potato has like 27g of Carbs. Can be good or bad depending on when you consume it and how frequently, I would think.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5081 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »
Nobody over 200lbs should be eating potatoes on a daily basis, nobody. The only way it is possibly going to help is if you're on one of Kiefer's protocols and fucked if i'm explaining all that again
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5082 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
Or maybe 'over 15% body fat' would be better there but nobody knows how to measure their BF accurately so yeah. If you are a mound of muscle with abs and over 200lbs, sure, you can eat potatoes. You need to. Your average fat American - no way
vjj

Himu

« Reply #5083 on: February 06, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »
Yup. That's why Im avoiding potatoes with my fat body.
IYKYK

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5084 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »
Nobody over 200lbs should be eating potatoes on a daily basis, nobody. The only way it is possibly going to help is if you're on one of Kiefer's protocols and fucked if i'm explaining all that again

:rofl

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5085 on: February 07, 2013, 01:16:36 AM »
:lol

let's just say i know a great big yawning rabbit hole when i see it
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5086 on: February 07, 2013, 01:34:57 AM »
Progress pic I put together today. 

From what I can see, I think I'm about two inches less width in the gut!  I haven't been able to get to the gym this past week because my son has been out of school.  The gym is where I weigh myself as well. 

Going to be getting a bathroom scale here soon.
WTF

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #5087 on: February 07, 2013, 01:40:14 AM »
Any difference on the scale?

Honestly I can't tell much difference yet from the pics

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5088 on: February 07, 2013, 01:44:47 AM »
moobs are less saggy I think. You lack the connoiseur's eye, Smooth.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5089 on: February 07, 2013, 02:02:08 AM »
try this for rapid improvements on bench

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles/bench-workouts/

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5090 on: February 07, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »
Any difference on the scale?

Honestly I can't tell much difference yet from the pics

On the scale, I'm down about 20 lbs (weighed myself two weeks ago) from where I started at.

Yeah, there is definitely less sag in the moobs, Cormac!
WTF

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5091 on: February 07, 2013, 02:17:49 AM »
Good job, keep it up! 

Just ignore the people who keep telling you that lifting heavier will make you look fatter

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5092 on: February 07, 2013, 02:19:18 AM »
20lbs is going some, good job

Do you take side pics? Probably a good idea. Also try using a tape measure around the belly button. Ultimately that's the only place that matters for tracking fat loss.
vjj

Himu

« Reply #5093 on: February 07, 2013, 02:20:29 AM »
Keep on going Groogrux!
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

« Reply #5094 on: February 07, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
Kinda wish I'd taken a before mirror shot now :(

It's just that shirtless self-photography is one of those things I've told myself I'd never do
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5095 on: February 07, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »
I have a super disgusting one at home when I was at my worst if anyone wants to see it.  It looks photoshopped and it's hard to believe I was that big.  It's seriously disgusting though.

Himu

« Reply #5096 on: February 07, 2013, 10:32:25 AM »
You looked like your old avatar of the fat guy hitting his stomach in the chicks face Mama? :o
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

« Reply #5097 on: February 07, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
I wish :drool

I mostly minded the weight around my jaw and neck. I mean I didn't have double chins or floppy jowls or anything, but I still think I looked like Jabba the Hut in any picture taken in the past couple of years.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:37:29 AM by Mamacint »
___

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5098 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
I got gout apparently last week :piss lab results just came back :piss

gunna leave carb nite I think, because all I really ate was meat and if thats what caused it then :piss
USA

Dickie Dee

« Reply #5099 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
gout wtf
___