Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1792951 times)

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Nic Cage plans to be buried like an Egyptian pharaoh :bow

(Image removed from quote.)

Cage went bankrupt and had to sell his homes not long ago. He doesn't seem to know how to manage his money well at all. No wonder he does so much shit in between doing the occasional great performance, he seems to spend every paycheck he gets instanty.

Cage spends all his money on really eccentric shit. Personal islands and pyramids, etc. He is basically living all of our fantasies. :rock

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
I bet his body if gonna lay in a huge pile of vintage comic books.

:bow Nic Cage :bow2
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Beezy explain this
[youtube=560,345]9RCPIowchyQ[/youtube]
skip to 1min mark

He'd bring them home if they were Lil Wayne's panties :shh

Beezy

Why do I have to explain? :lol

He'd bring them home if they were Lil Wayne's panties :shh
true :lol

Phoenix Dark

you were the first EBer to co-sign this rapper, your honor is on the line  breh

Beezy

I was? Oh well, his mixtape is really good. He would never get by on his rap skills alone though.

Draft

Stolen from GAF.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

All I can think of while they do that is if they can and DO eat themselves out.
Imagine if you picked a girl up in the bar and she started doing that shit. It'd be like the beginning of Wicked City.

Himu

Beezy explain this
[youtube=560,345]9RCPIowchyQ[/youtube]
skip to 1min mark

Dude, give the guy a break. If you were doing your job and panties landed in your hand you gotta throw those panties away and keep on truckin'!

But at the very least he should have put em on his head.
IYKYK

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
[youtube=560,345]gIUdwMEEXUA[/youtube]

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
[youtube=560,345]Q-ay_KU5XYc&feature=related[/youtube]

ZOMG

He looks identical to my male! The size, color, the way he plays and mannerisms! :D Both shibas are curled up next to and on top of me right now.  Awwwwww now she has her head on his back. :heartbeat ICP should make a song about this magical shit.

Did you get your puppy yet? Is there a shiba meetup group where you live? :hyper
(|)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
No, the puppies are only 2 weeks old so it will be a while.  No to meet up too as far as I know.  In fact just to get a shiba we have to get it from people who live 3 hours away, lol.

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
No, the puppies are only 2 weeks old so it will be a while.  No to meet up too as far as I know.  In fact just to get a shiba we have to get it from people who live 3 hours away, lol.

You'd be surprised. We bought her from people 4 hours away and him 1.5 hours away, but we have a decent meetup group that's only a year or so old. There were 20 shibas at the last one we went to. We used meetup.com to find it, but now we're on a FB group. So many awesome shibas all in one place! :D

Through that group, we hear about adoptable rescue shibas, usually through Midwest Shiba Rescue. Although we're not looking to adopt right now, we have the option to help - donate money or supplies, foster, check out potential homes, help transport them (Say they need to move from Nebraska to Ohio, they split up the trip into various 2 hour legs and you can choose to do one or more leg near you). Awesome group of people for sure.
(|)

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
jon

M3wThr33

[youtube=560,345]gIUdwMEEXUA[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]ftg1EtdgbHI[/youtube]

:-\ Name a Country you most admire....

"Africa? Europe? Africa? Europe? Africa? Europe? AFRICA?"

Himu

IYKYK

Third

• BODY TALK
"We like Europe, cause there's a lot of choices there"

"Right"

:lol

Skidmark

I am sure many here have tried this one before but if you haven't yet then give it a try, you will be surprised by how well this one works.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20810956&postcount=13

::)

They probably spent all their money on the cutscenes, because they certainly didn't spend much on the gameplay.
dog

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
That's amazing that five people can't collectively discern the difference between a continent and a country
jon

Himu

That's amazing that five people can't collectively discern the difference between a continent and a country

black people  :'(
IYKYK

Veidt

I am sure many here have tried this one before but if you haven't yet then give it a try, you will be surprised by how well this one works.

Awesome
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:45:52 PM by Veidt »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

Awesome

I'm freaking out over here!!
dog

Veidt

That video + space images = heaven

Himu

My eyes are contorting images after that video. I'm going to watch that next I get high.
IYKYK

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
Dude, give the guy a break. If you were doing your job and panties landed in your hand you gotta throw those panties away and keep on truckin'!

But at the very least he should have put em on his head.
It was probably some nasty fat chick too. Did he say they were wet or something?  :yuck

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
[youtube=560,345]G7heHF4CMyU[/youtube]

Himu

IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Saved.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/18/christina-hendricks-in-es_n_541955.html

What the fuck did they do to Christina Hendriks? That's the opposite of air brushing. Ugly brushing. Jesus.
wha

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
:-\ Name a Country you most admire....

"Africa? Europe? Africa? Europe? Africa? Europe? AFRICA?"
So that's what happened to Al.

etiolate

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393040

Opinions: Is Ebert just trolling? Or is he just being stubborn old man?

In the article in question: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html

He contradicts himself by holding to the idea of taste and experience allowing him to be a better judgement of art:

She quotes Robert McKee's definition of good writing as "being motivated by a desire to touch the audience." This is not a useful definition, because a great deal of bad writing is also motivated by the same desire. I might argue that the novels of Cormac McCarthy are so motivated, and Nicholas Sparks would argue that his novels are so motivated. But when I say McCarthy is "better" than Sparks and that his novels are artworks, that is a subjective judgment, made on the basis of my taste (which I would argue is better than the taste of anyone who prefers Sparks).

but then trips up his own authority by admitting he is basing his response without engaging the medium(playing the game):

Although the player must don a Koresh mask and inspire his followers to play, the game looks from her samples like one more brainless shooting-gallery.

I don't think Ebert is dumb enough to really make this big of a mistake in his own critique. Hence, I am pretty sure he's just trying to be an ass.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Didn't this start with him making some off-hand comment about games? I assume self-labeled "gamers" who define their personality around the fact that they play games kept bitching at him and he feels forced to further explain himself. Not that it matters though, art is such a loose word it doesn't have any inherent meaning.

etiolate

It is weird that a film critic would decide to go in this direction. Nobody was really inviting him into the discussion and I don't see where his interest is in the discussion.

Phoenix Dark

Is Wii Fit art?

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
When a terrible,soulless movie bores him to tears he tends to go off on tangents in his reviews rather than directly review them. I imagine this happened in a few shitty videogame movies he's reviewed (though I don't know of any specific one)

Add on the fact that he keeps a pretty open dialogue with the public. I imagine he just got a pile of mail and felt the need to respond and elaborate on something he might not actually give a passing fart about.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:20:43 PM by Mamacint »
___

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
I think he referenced video games in a negative way somewhere in the past and people kept bugging at him because 'omg this game is so art, ur 50year old ass should play it and learn to appreciate the medium'. I'd come out far harder if I had a bunch of model train enthusiasts spamming my email and twitter months on end for throwing out a barely thought-out diss.

etiolate

He has a pretty open dialogue with his readers. I imagine he just got a pile of mail and felt the need to respond and elaborate on a point he probably never gave a passing fart about until asked.

If he does do the jibber-jab with readers then this is a likely cause. You get a ton of questions on the same thing and finally respond. Unfortunately, he wasn't really ready to respond and this currently minor footnote to his legacy will end up being a bigger footnote in time for being such an example of the audacious gestures of knowitall oft supplied by the temporal gusto of critics. Why fuck yourself in the end like that?

etiolate

I think he referenced video games in a negative way somewhere in the past and people kept bugging at him because 'omg this game is so art, ur 50year old ass should play it and learn to appreciate the medium'. I'd come out far harder if I had a bunch of model train enthusiasts spamming my email and twitter months on end for throwing out a barely thought-out diss.

He commented on the lack of authorship in videogames before, and that was a valid criticism of the medium. There is multiple people involved in making a game, and further dividing those people are the groups of work they are assigned. On large scale game production, game designers have less control than a film director would.

The response to this is indie development, which works with smaller, tighter productions that offer a sense of authority nearing what Ebert is use to reviewing.

His second writing is in response to a presentation which explores the issue and his response is merely lazy dismissal.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
So he actually engaged this debate? I was under the impression that it started by him slighting 300 in a review saying it was too much like a video game or something along those lines.

Games aren't an art form. They bring nothing new to the table, but rather combine elements from various other art forms (yes, even the "immersion" aspect is not beholden to video games). All other art forms created new forms of expression; games do not.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
take that shit to gaf shake....  ::)

Cheebs

Shake is dead on about games not being art, it's not even worth saying so because there is nothing more to add to what he said. He is dead on.

Second, the older I get the more I realize how much a waste of time video games are, I haven't played a real video game in over a year I'd say and I couldn't be happier. I can't believe how much time and money I wasted on that hobby in retrospect. I use my PS3 for blu-rays but I haven't put a game into that machine since probably 2008 or so.

Though that has nothing to do with the video games as art thing, I remember agreeing video games weren't art back at gaf when I still was into them.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
I go back and forth on the 'issue'.  The problem I have with most who game is they like to say certain games are and aren't art.  They'll point to a game with heavy exposition and loads of fmv and say that this more artistic than tetris.  If I had to decide if a game had any artistic merit, I would have to exclude the narrative, cinematography in fmvs, static images, graphic design, etc from my consideration.  THOSE ARE OTHER THINGS WITHIN A GAME.  A game boils down to its interaction with the player and how the mechanics express those inputs into the framework of the game.  Which brings me to a simple question.  Is the game of chess art?  Is a 100 meter dash art?  I don't think so.  So at this moment, games are simply games that may house pieces of art such as music/graphic design/narrative.  The game itself is not art.

This is a dumb thing to discuss  :-\
sad

Eh? I'm sure GAF would laugh it off and say "bu bu bu games are just interactive movies and Roger Ebert is a too old to know anything about anything."

drew

• sy
[youtube=560,345]o36ZkpwpmqU[/youtube]

art?

Cheebs

Eh? I'm sure GAF would laugh it off and say "bu bu bu games are just interactive movies and Roger Ebert is a too old to know anything about anything."
Also admit it, life became better after you stopped spending your money on video games.  8)

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
I always try to squeeze in a game of pacman whenever I'm high. It's art as fuck.

I'd rather spend my money on DVDs and weed than games :spin

I still play them occasionally but only when I'm at a friend's house or something. I haven't owned a console in years and honestly don't miss it. Now I have more free time to do productive shit.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Like post on forums :shh
[close]

drew

• sy
[youtube=560,345]nvFDjDLxwGg[/youtube]

art?!

Cheebs

I still play them occasionally but only when I'm at a friend's house or something. I haven't owned a console in years and honestly don't miss it. Now I have more free time to do productive shit.

[close]

:bow

drew

• sy

[close]

:bow2
[close]

Cheebs

[close]

:bow2
[close]

Himu

Like anything else in the world, games can be art. It's funny how my ideal choice example of games having the capabilities of being artistic - Silent Hill 2 - is always overlooked in lists full of pap like Braid or fucking Flower.

Also, it's hilarious how Shake was vouching for Britney Spears and Ke$ha being "art" the other day and giving me guff when they flat out say that "games aren't art".

You and your double standards. Or should we say, extremely low standards.

Then again, I don't like getting into the "games are art" discussions because they're mostly just full of losers who aren't arguing for arts sake, but for the own ridiculous validation of their hobby so that their relatives don't make fun of them.

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Vib Ribbon is art.

Prove me wrong.
dog

Video games are not an art form. There is no debating this. They are not accepted in the cultural consensus as art because they have not validated their existence by inventing any new forms of expression. Add to that what EmCeeGrammar described and it's pretty clear to see why people don't think games are art. Just because you happen to enjoy playing them does not make them art.

And yes, Ke$ha's songs are art while whatever Japanese MORPG you are currently playing is not.

Cheebs

It's not about the artist, its about the form. That was your problem last time as well. Trying to say individual things were art but others are not.

Music is a art form and thus every piece of music is art. Same with poetry and so forth.

Games can certainly be influenced by an authorial voice and even include art within them, but the games themselves are not art.