Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188305 times)

Tasty

Re: Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #1200 on: August 10, 2012, 03:51:27 AM »
GameTrailers' use the 7-10 scale though and they spend half of the review saying it felt uninspired and unoriginal. It's most likely a good game, but I'm not sure the average customer needs four New Super Mario Bros. games.

I agree with that, I was actually expecting a 6-7 based on what they were saying (although it got more positive towards the end.) I'm happy full co-op is included, even if it is only  two player and does require two carts. I think that's an important part of the NSMB series going forward and a key differentiator to other old-school-ish platformers and old Mario games, for that matter.

I don't think the issue is the total sum, on the contrary I think it's pretty cool we're getting a handful of modernized 2D Mario platformers.

But the timing is seriously off. SM3DL for 3DS came out last year, NSMB U later this year. NSMB2 should be next year at the absolute earliest, if not 2014, if they want to avoid brand fatigue. But to Nintendo right now, I can see why they'd choose to pump the 3DS up with all they got over concerns of brand fatigue. They'll have to deal with the consequences both ways (boosted 3DS sales at the cost of people getting a bit tired of Mario.)

It also weakens the Wii U launch by diluting the "specialness" of 2D Mario, especially since they're probably three months apart from eachother.

I think a new 3DS Zelda title would have been a much better option, maybe not for sales but if they timed it with the XL launch I think it would have done really well regardless.

Not much use complaining now, it is what it is. We're getting three Mario platformers in the span of a single year. The market will decide if that's too much, but I wouldn't really complain if Nintendo let the old guy rest a bit (and this coming from a self-confessed Ninthing, so that should say something.) I don't mind a new game in a Nintendo series every two years, one year is a bit close to Activision's milking but still tolerable. Once a gen like Kart and Brawl are what I personally prefer. Three in a year is just too much, but again, I understand why they're doing it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:53:26 AM by Andrex »

archie4208

« Reply #1201 on: August 10, 2012, 08:37:08 AM »
Man, console and dedicated handheld gaming are legitimately dying.  I don't remember EOL sales for last gen being that dire. 

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1202 on: August 10, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
I don't think console hardware sales are bad(360 at least).200k in a slow 4 week NPD month is pretty decent.

Software sales,yeah but on the other hand we don't have Xbox Live data and NPD data is not available to public anymore.

The real question is,why are those (software)sales going down?
Gen fatigue, recession or maybe something else?

I guess we will get an answer after PS4/720 release.

As for handhelds,they are on its way out.
Sooner or later somebody will produce cheap (x86)win tablet(good for work,steam,every emulator under the sun,piracy,iso,tons of legacy software...).Not sure how any dedicated handheld can compete with something like that,maybe in kids space but parents will choose "it can be used for school,learning...and games" device,assuming it's cheap enough.

Mobile is like the most shittiest place to compete in.
cat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1203 on: August 10, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »
Sorry, but those console hardware sales *are* bad.  You can think salt is sweet and rhinos fly, but it ain't so.

Last year 360 sales were 277k, Wii was 190k, and PS3 was 148k.  And *those* sales were bad already.  2010, 360 was 444k, Wii was 255k, PS3 215k.  2009, the 360 was 200k, the Wii was 250k, and the PS3 was 115k.

Console hardware sales are way down.  You don't even want to *look* at last gen.  They're taking it just as hard in the ass as the handhelds are, except with the console hardware we can at least make believe the reason is that the generation is long in the tooth.  We can make believe that.  It's not true, though. 

The truth is that for the masses, their gaming needs are being met by social PC games and smartphone games that give them dozens of hours of entertainment for pennies on the dollar compared to console games.  Handhelds are smarting the most from this, but it's absolutely affecting consoles too, and not in a small way.  People have a choice between free/99 cents and $40-60, and there's little surprise in the outcome.

Yep.

Hell, I got the DS and PSP on day one but I have yet to even own a 3DS or Vita.  As much as I hate iOS gaming, the few bursts of game time I have with some of the Cave iOS games for instance satisfies my handheld gaming needs.
🍆🍆

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1204 on: August 11, 2012, 02:34:18 AM »
Handhelds :violin

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1205 on: August 11, 2012, 03:05:18 AM »
bunch of pessimists,blah
cat

Damian79

« Reply #1206 on: August 11, 2012, 04:59:25 AM »
Anyone wanna guess how much playstation all stars will sell in its first week in North America?  I will give them 20 dollars AUS via paypal.  Just to make things interesting.
From wiki:
SSBM sold 250k in 9 days(i assume that is the month)

SSBB sold 2.9Million in its first month

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/who-loves-sales-figures.452493262/
As for totals according to gamecharts.fr:
SSBM sold 7.4 million
SSBB sold 10.8 million

Seriously leaves a bad taste in my mouth that SSBB outsold SSBM.

Tasty

« Reply #1207 on: August 11, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
Well Brawl is vastly superior to Melee, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Takao

« Reply #1208 on: August 11, 2012, 06:46:57 AM »
Well Brawl is vastly superior to Melee, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

True story, I played Melee and the original SSB with friends for years. I played Brawl for a week, even with its powerpoint online mode.

Tasty

« Reply #1209 on: August 11, 2012, 06:51:11 AM »

True story, I played Melee and the original SSB with friends for years. I played Brawl for a week, even with its powerpoint online mode.

Takao when SSB was released: 7 years old
Takao when SSBM was released: 9 years old

Could it be you were just more receptive of Mario and pals at those ages?

Takao

« Reply #1210 on: August 11, 2012, 07:03:32 AM »
Man, I never knew I went through the Pokemon aging cycle. I aged 2 years while everyone else aged 7...

Tasty

« Reply #1211 on: August 11, 2012, 07:10:27 AM »
Man, I never knew I went through the Pokemon aging cycle. I aged 2 years while everyone else aged 7...

That is weird, since there were only two years between SSB and SSBM.

Takao

« Reply #1212 on: August 11, 2012, 07:12:19 AM »
Oh, I thought you wrote out Melee and Brawl. Whoops.

Tasty

« Reply #1213 on: August 11, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »
Brawl sold better than Melee on the Sins of the Father principle.  Often with games (movies too), at least in the short term, the success of a product rests on the reputation of its predecessor.  MGS1 was off da hook, MGS2 sold like crazy.  MGS2 made people's heads hurt, MGS3 sold like poop.  Melee was following the rather low-key SSB, so its first month was slow.  Brawl was following the extremely beloved Melee, so its first month was nuts.  The next SSB is probably going to open worse than Brawl.

I like to think of that as the Sonic principle. Adventure got a free pass cause of the 2D games, Unleashed got raked to hell on the back of 2006's abominable sins, Colors was only lukewarm received when it should have gotten much more enthusiasm from gamers, and Generations won the hearts of the gaming press for furrydom once more.

(Although for Colors and Generations there might be a console bias.)

It won't help the next Smash that the Wii U will sell a lot less than the Wii, I'm sure.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1214 on: August 11, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »

WTF is this garbage?

And yea Brawl sold due to hype coming off melee
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:00:15 AM by Purple Filth »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1215 on: August 11, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
i dunno about anyone else, but personally i'm excited for the possibilities of streaming affordable gameplay from integrated devices as opposed to paying a fuckin fortune for a mostly-dedicated device that runs stupid-overpriced games
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1216 on: August 11, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
I just want a physical copy of a game that will work 30 years from now, without worry about servers going down.
^_^

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1217 on: August 11, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
The tech in current gen consoles is kind of old as fuck at this point and the entry level pricing begins at $200 still and the economicaly sucks right now and lots of use of the word and so those numbers aren't all that shocking to me.
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #1218 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:42 PM »
So why haven't any of the consoles switched to ARM?

Not going Intel I can get (except for MS, I think it was a minor mistake ditching it in the 360 but whatevs), but ARM is like... Open, isn't it? And it's in the headlines a lot these days. Isn't PowerPC abandoned at this point?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1219 on: August 11, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »
I like to think of that as the Sonic principle. Adventure got a free pass cause of the 2D games, Unleashed got raked to hell on the back of 2006's abominable sins, Colors was only lukewarm received when it should have gotten much more enthusiasm from gamers, and Generations won the hearts of the gaming press for furrydom once more.

(Although for Colors and Generations there might be a console bias.)

It won't help the next Smash that the Wii U will sell a lot less than the Wii, I'm sure.

That doesn't make sense, though.  First of all, you're skipping installments to fit your curve.  Unleashed was not the Sonic game that immediately followed 2006, the rather successful Secret Rings (million seller) was.  After that was Unleashed, which sold about the same number of copies as Secret Rings, then Black Knight, which sold quite poorly, then Colors, which sold poorly but better than Black Knight.  Then, the real killer here, is Sonic Generations, which series-wise followed the well-liked Colors, and console-wise followed the fairly well-liked Unleashed, but proceeded to sell the lowest numbers for the series to date.

Sonic as a series actually contradicts my Sins of the Father theory.

Yet it works perfectly with my Sins of the Furry theory
🍆🍆

Takao

« Reply #1220 on: August 11, 2012, 10:06:44 PM »
I just want a physical copy of a game that will work 30 years from now, without worry about servers going down.

I think there will be physical games for people like you who want the shelf full of crap they can go and pick out 20+ years from now, but it's going to be a tiny niche. Like print on demand only niche.

Cascade

« Reply #1221 on: August 14, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »
From GAF:
I know the sales figures of the Vita in a large UK retailer so far this year.

Without stating any specific details, more copies of Sin and Punishment 2 were sold nationwide since March than the Vita. Also, more PS2s and PSPs.

Its pretty fucking dire.
Dat Sony brand power. Vita is completely dead, anyone with any sense would sell theirs now whilst it still has some value. It's a shame it wasn't the 3DS in its place though.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1222 on: August 14, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
From GAF:
I know the sales figures of the Vita in a large UK retailer so far this year.

Without stating any specific details, more copies of Sin and Punishment 2 were sold nationwide since March than the Vita. Also, more PS2s and PSPs.

Its pretty fucking dire.
Dat Sony brand power. Vita is completely dead, anyone with any sense would sell theirs now whilst it still has some value. It's a shame it wasn't the 3DS in its place though.

Nice, Sin and Punishment 2 deserves some more sales. What an amazing and highly underappreciated game.
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #1223 on: August 14, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
S&P2 is like, bomba personified, I know there are like some no-name/Xseed games that probably sold worse but S&P2 is the most "cult classic"-y massive bomba in my mind.

That it's selling more than the Vita, over two years since its release, is about as bad as any big boy system can sell.

Tasty

« Reply #1224 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
Bububu Killzone: On-Rails.

Is it really on rails or are you tugging me under the table while my parents sit across from us?

Takao

« Reply #1225 on: August 14, 2012, 06:05:16 PM »

Is it really on rails or are you tugging me under the table while my parents sit across from us?

You know that in the time it took you to type that post you could've used your beloved Google to find the answer, right? The answer is no, its not on-rails.

Tasty

« Reply #1226 on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »
But then Google would know I searched for Killzone and I wouldn't get any more ads for Pokemon body pillows.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1227 on: August 14, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
The Vita is deader than dead at this point.  I could see the scant shelf space dedicated to the Vita get cleared out for the Wii U this fall by retailers, narrowing down the places you could get Vita hardware, software, and accessories to places like Gamestop.
🍆🍆

Takao

« Reply #1228 on: August 14, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »

Dat family dinner footjob :drool

Takao: but it looks kinda like on-rails. This is a full fledged FPS? Not some gallery shooter or something like that?

There is no indication it isn't anything other than a full FPS. In the trailer you saw the player move around a bit.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1229 on: August 14, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
The Vita is deader than dead at this point.  I could see the scant shelf space dedicated to the Vita get cleared out for the Wii U this fall by retailers, narrowing down the places you could get Vita hardware, software, and accessories to places like Gamestop.

so which did worse: the vita or the virtual boy?  also is it worse than the game gear, lynx, etc?
pcp

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1230 on: August 14, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »
I think it's ahead of the N-Gage too
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #1231 on: August 14, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »
Depends, Nokia was known for using shipped not sold numbers initially.
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #1232 on: August 14, 2012, 11:35:25 PM »
The life of a mobile handset is much shorter so that's not surprising. I think I still have both my N-Gages somewhere.
itm

Tasty

« Reply #1233 on: August 15, 2012, 04:52:14 AM »
The Vita has outsold the Virtual Boy and the Neo Geo Pocket now.  It should soon pass the Turbo Express but it's not quite there yet.  Down the road it might pass the Wonderswan.  It has a chance (albeit not guaranteed by any means) of passing the Atari Lynx provided Sony doesn't just write the whole thing off within a year.  It will never pass the Game Gear, though.

So in the pantheon of handheld game system sales:

Nintendo DS/i > GameBoy/Color > GameBoy Advance > PlayStation Portable/Go > Game Gear > Atari Lynx > Wonderswan/Color > N-Gage/QD > TurboGrafx Express > PlayStation Vita > Neo Geo Pocket/Color > Virtual Boy

Is that accurate?

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #1234 on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:02 AM »
Yep, but I've no doubt they managed to distribute all of those shipped phones eventually, even if they went out the door as $0 with contract, or as Paygo phones.  The Vita will eventually sell everything Sony shipped, too.  Maybe.

Bulldozed into a Finnish desert
地平線

archnemesis

« Reply #1235 on: August 15, 2012, 05:04:54 AM »
The list on Wikipedia is usually accurate enough for listing best-selling systems.

• Nintendo DS
  • Game Boy and Game Boy Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • PlayStation Portable
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Game Gear
  • N-Gage
  • Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • PlayStation Vita
  • TurboExpress
  • Nomad

Edit: If you want to look at the sales of some of the lesser known systems, take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_handheld_game_consoles
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:08:55 AM by archnemesis »

archnemesis

« Reply #1236 on: August 15, 2012, 05:14:50 AM »
The source for that number is an old GamePro article that use unchecked and unsourced well-rounded numbers. I think you're right.

Tasty

« Reply #1237 on: August 15, 2012, 05:15:28 AM »
Huh I forgot the 3DS on my list. :lol

archnemesis

« Reply #1238 on: August 15, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »
I'm probably wrong, but I think the Vita will end up in 6th place after the PSP and all the successful Nintendo handhelds.

Takao

« Reply #1239 on: August 15, 2012, 06:47:26 AM »
I always felt lumping GB and GBC together didn't feel right. Colour is a pretty big leap forward, and it launched well after the brickboy. Do we have any individual sales for them?

archnemesis

« Reply #1240 on: August 15, 2012, 06:56:55 AM »
There is no source for Game Boy Color sales on Wikipedia, but an old NeoGAF post mentioned it sold about 49 million worldwide.

Tasty

« Reply #1241 on: August 15, 2012, 07:31:26 AM »
Yep, but I've no doubt they managed to distribute all of those shipped phones eventually, even if they went out the door as $0 with contract, or as Paygo phones.  The Vita will eventually sell everything Sony shipped, too.  Maybe.

What's the discrepancy between shipped/sold? Did they really ship 16 million (+PSP) or whatever lucicrous number they projected before revising them?

Fifstar

« Reply #1242 on: August 20, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
Vita sold 2.2 million units to date according to playstation germany chief Bassendowski.
Gulp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1243 on: August 20, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
That's bad.
dog

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1244 on: August 20, 2012, 04:48:58 PM »
Really bad. The BEST they can hope for is 10% of those 2.2 million buying a particular game at any given time, and the reality is probably closer to half that if it isn't one of their biggest franchises.
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1245 on: August 20, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
To put that into a little perspective, the 3DS already has sold 7 million in Japan [less than 1.5 million behind the PS3] and 19 million worldwide.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1246 on: August 20, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
Im happy im getting out of the gaming biz!

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1247 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »
they'd have to do something drastic to even partially recover, and they're apparently unable to

other than outright abandoning it, another scenario is that they might just ride out the bad sales until the PS4 releases, then start bundling Vitas in with that bargain bin PS3 redesign, selling it as a Wii U type package - they're already beginning to push the "Vita as PS3 Controller" feature

but really, it's kinda over for it as any kind of standalone product, you know your shit is bad when you can't even get Gameloft to churn out their clones
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:07:36 PM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1248 on: August 20, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »
Even Gameloft needs 50/100k sales, and they pull that on Android with every game even at 5 bucks. They wouldnt do that on Vita though.

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #1250 on: August 30, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
Holy CRAP NSMB2 has sold almost 1 mil (in Japan) already (not counting eShop sales.) Jeeze.

I was wondering how it would do, guess it's safe to say that although Mario fatigue is settling in slightly it ain't enough to stop the NSMB train.

Tasty

« Reply #1251 on: August 30, 2012, 12:58:06 AM »
eShop sales are 5% of retail (according to Iwata), and yeah, a million is great, but it's selling considerably worse (and showing much weaker legs) than the other two NSMB games.  Selling basically half as well half as quickly.

I never thought it could reach 20 mil like the other two, but I expected it to end up worse than it seems like it's going to.

For a game made by interns, I think it'll do just fine. Despite the numbering, NSMBU is going to be the real 2D Mario showpiece this year.

You could make the argument NSMB2 has eaten into U's eventual sales, but to paraphrase old Jobs-y: "If we don't cannibalize ourselves, someone else will."

Tasty

« Reply #1252 on: August 30, 2012, 12:45:04 PM »
Sony: "Vita is pretty much along where we would expect it to be, maybe trending behind in certain territories." :derp

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1253 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
Darksiders 2 :bow2

chances of there being a Darksiders 3 increasing :bow2
nat

Tasty

« Reply #1254 on: September 06, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
Wow, NSMB2 resurgent. Need to see hardware sales to tell if it had an effect.

FoneBone

« Reply #1255 on: September 06, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
Apparently Darksiders II did only 247K, sooo.... not pretty all around.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1256 on: September 06, 2012, 07:26:45 PM »
Apparently Darksiders II did only 247K, sooo.... not pretty all around.

Ouch.
dog

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #1257 on: September 06, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
yeah, thq is always going on about how they needed to sell x millions of copies on their marquee titles to break even, so darksiders 2 numbers are bad in that light.  Although I think kingdom hearts did ok all things considered, I expected much better from mario.  I'll restrain myself from remarking on its performance until someone (oscar?) can put this into perspective of when nsmb1 launched.

All in all, a sad time for the hobby and I must just have to bail out if things don't turn around.  Fuck freemium business models.
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1258 on: September 06, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »
Looks like it sold roughly the same as the first did in its opening month [Xbox360 version was 10th overall with 170k and the PS3 was 14th, but the sales weren't listed].
dog

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #1259 on: September 06, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
Madden is next reporting period I believe.  It's already done like a million units.
sad