Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188289 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Oscar-sama's Sales Thread of Sales Enlightenment for Sales Losers
« Reply #3660 on: March 16, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »
No to mention that Demon Souls sales were considered such a success that they made Dark Souls. And Dark Souls is such a success that they are making Dark Souls 2.

This means they earned quite a penny.

Meanwhile Bayonetta was axed after the first and only revived by Ninty desperate for a hardcore game.

This tells you enough about cost/sales/success ratio of both titles.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3661 on: March 16, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
The reason why certain games receive marketing pushes and certain ones don't (assuming the publisher is big enough to pick and choose what it wants to spend real marketing dollars on) is based on a publishers already formed speculation and projection on the titles.

You put money behind titles that have a real chance to be broad mainstream hits. Certain titles fit that and certain ones don't. (Publishers are also sometimes wrong about this stuff but whatever, you get the point) With limited resources you don't spend tons of marketing on things where the marketing isn't going to overly push the needle. The titles that tend to get marketed are the ones that publishers feel are mainstream enough or the potential to be mainstream enough to crossover. Of course its not a perfect system but I don't like the idea of somebody saying if only X game was marketed, it would be a huge hit. Its a bit axiomatic but the reason certain titles are marketed in the first place is because the company views that title as capable of benefiting from the marketing. If they don't believe it, then they don't spend the dollars. It's not just a case of wanton neglect in most cases. It's picking and choosing and projecting.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:29:19 PM by Stoney Mason »

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3662 on: March 16, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
Huh. Point conceded.on the sales data but I still disagree with Rah's overall point that gamers just want mature games. I think that is over simplifying the problem. Maybe I'm just naive in that I think gamers couldn't be that superficial.

Jeez.

Rah is right. :fbm

archnemesis

« Reply #3663 on: March 16, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
I don't mind games being silly, but one of the problems with Platinum's games is that the story, plot, and characters are all awful. Even in comparison to other quirky Japanese games.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3664 on: March 16, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
How well was MGR marketed? Are we talking a commercial the week of release or plenty of media fellatio (Tomb Raider, Far cry 3, Skyrim) for the better part of a year?
It was marketed about as well as a game like that can be. "High Profile" announcement, Constant media updates, commercials, web stuff, and at least some media attention based on the fact that it's a metal gear game. I'm not sure what more any reasonable company could do for it. It's not going to get the Rockstar games or CoD treatment, it dosen't deserve it. You say Far Cry 3, it probably got more if not the same level of marketing that game did. I don't even remember seeing that much crap for Far Cry 3. It did get a lot of word of mouth though. The game's existence was made well aware, Konami did as much as any other company would for Rising. Maybe it just didn't catch the public's eye. You mention Skyrim and Tomb Raider, but it's not like the marketing for those games were so above Rising, but they did have kind of more word of mouth. I get this strange feeling people did not care about Rising until well the reviews starting coming out and well why was that?I know Tomb Raider was getting attention, because it was this more gritty reboot of a famed franchisee. Likewise Skyrim was riding off Bethesda's momentum and looked to be an even more "get lost in this extremely detailed world". A world that would probably be more appealing right now then the world of a equally good jrpg. Hell whats also extremely popular with perhaps the same crowd that's bying video games? Game of Thrones. How would you describer GoTs? Well I would describe it as this very serious and realistic take on fantasy, and maybe thats why it's caught on. Good storytelling now doubt, but is that all it needed to make it a hit? But that's my point, right now this kind of realistic and seriously toned stuff is what's popular. Nolan's Batman makes tons of money and yes while there is stuff like The Avengers, it doesn't change my point. I'm not saying everything needs to be "realistic", but I think people right now are more receptive to things that don't seem wacky.

In the age of the AAA game, simply having a commercial on TV does not mean "marketed well". Look at the new Gears of War
I have no clue when that game comes out but I'm seeing it all over the place ALREADY. that is good marketing. I didn't even know MGR was coming out last month until the demo by comparison.
You sure the problem isn't just you? I mean you we're both just saying anecdotal evidence really, but I mean I'm not sure anyone who would have been interested in Rising would have not known. That type of gamer is online, watches channels where commercials of the game would be, some of them read forums, and so on. What more did you want? It had about the same level of crap as most AAA games that aren't CoD or Rockstar's stuff. It also has a name that's quite well known.

I mean if I had to guess what went wrong with MGR is that it came out way to late. It needed to come out two years tops after MGS4. It needed a main game to ride the momentum off of. Plus MGS4 came out in 08, I don't think the actual identity of this gen had settled in. Shit changed.

You mention popular games that are popular based on how they look,
I mention popular games that are the complete oppisate in style, tone, and storytelling then what Plat does. But I don't mean they are popular because of that. I mean if they weren't good games, it wouldn't matter. But I think their subject material is more inviting to people then that of Plats games.

using Dark souls as an example when - and I'd love to be proven wrong by factual sales data - I'm sure Bayonetta sold about as well if not better than Dark Souls.
In the US? I have no idea. I'm sure Dark Souls has sold almost as well if not better, but it's a series that will continue to grow, unlike Bayo. And it's not because of its looks, its mostly about gameplay. But would the game had caught on with a more typical anime art design? With a story like Tales of? Same gameplay, but more like your everyday jrpg? I doubt it.

You say all these games need is better marketing, but what does that mean and why would that make them sell significantly better? What games like them have sold better? I'm sure their are quite a few games that have received worse or the same level of marketing that have sold better then Bayo or Rising.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:59:25 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3665 on: March 16, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »
Another reason I'm not convinced gamers only want mature games is the Mega bombas like Max Payne 3. Despite being a former heavy hitter and a multi million ad campaign it under delivered. Whether that's due to a bloated budget I'm not sure. It could also be argued that Bayonetta, if released on PC could have some damn good sales. The same goes for Vanquish.

If you look at Rah's list of mature games, you will see a pattern: all of them either emphasize a fantastic multi component or the games are choice heavy open world games, the two genres that generated the biggest boom this gen. It sounds premature to attribute all of these games success to pure aesthetic. That's illogical.

Rah, do you remember Sega's marketing for Vanquish? I don't. You think the masses would find a game where the guy lights a cig with his body is weird and would drive them away? I don't see it. Especially considering games like saints row, dead rising 1 and 2, and even devil may cry 4 contain quirk and what the fuck. More than likely, had the game contained a co op mode, one that is fleshed out, it would have sold better. I can't attribute Vanquish bombing to the fact it stars a dude in a robot suit.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:04:01 PM by Kim Kardashians Butt »

mjemirzian

« Reply #3666 on: March 16, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »
I bet Platinum Games could get a killer kickstarter going if they had to. :P

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3667 on: March 16, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »
I much prefer wacky and silly games... anything super realistic or Lord of the Rings-esque I tend to tune out...

Also, why does everyone think (insert niche Japanese game here) will sell better on PC? Does PC have a history of people who are into Japanese games? As far as I can tell, no. On GAF, the average PC "master race" kid tends to mock anything even remotely Japanese or "console-ish", as they wipe off cheeto-dust on their too-tight Metallica t-shirt. Maybe they'll get some sales in a Steam sale when they are marked down to $5. Besides, the majority of Japanese games nowadays don't really push the technical envelope, so it's not like they'd have an advantage being on a PC as opposed to a console/handheld.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:09:44 PM by tiesto »
^_^

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3668 on: March 16, 2013, 05:06:37 PM »
I don't think it's about the Mature theme.

PG+ games have this unappealing look to them. Bayonetta? More like Japanese femdom fetish. Vanquish? Is this the sequel to Bomberman X360? Anarchy Reigns? This isn't Dynasty Warriors who cares.

Rising was the only normal one but MG fans never asked for it so only action fans bought it.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3669 on: March 16, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »
I much prefer wacky and silly games... anything super realistic or Lord of the Rings-esque I tend to tune out...

Also, why does everyone think (insert niche Japanese game here) will sell better on PC? Does PC have a history of people who are into Japanese games? As far as I can tell, no. On GAF, the average PC "master race" kid tends to mock anything even remotely Japanese or "console-ish", as they wipe off cheeto-dust on their too-tight Metallica t-shirt. Maybe they'll get some sales in a Steam sale when they are marked down to $5.
It's the usual crazy PC/Steam fegs who are in every thread port begging, just ignore them.

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3670 on: March 16, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »

Also, why does everyone think (insert niche Japanese game here) will sell better on PC? Does PC have a history of people who are into Japanese games? As far as I can tell, no. On GAF, the average PC "master race" kid tends to mock anything even remotely Japanese or "console-ish", as they wipe off cheeto-dust on their too-tight Metallica t-shirt. Maybe they'll get some sales in a Steam sale when they are marked down to $5. Besides, the majority of Japanese games nowadays don't really push the technical envelope, so it's not like they'd have an advantage being on a PC as opposed to a console/handheld.

Because it is an untapped market and they're dumb for not putting up their games on steam cuz easy money and I don't want to buy next Gen consoles. :p

archnemesis

« Reply #3671 on: March 16, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »
Also, why does everyone think (insert niche Japanese game here) will sell better on PC? Does PC have a history of people who are into Japanese games?
Right now there is a high demand and low supply of Japanese games on Steam which means that even crap like Recettear, Chantelise, and Fortune Summoners sell pretty well. Getting quality titles like Ys out before there is any competition is a sure way to make a decent amount of sales. Final Fantasy 7/8 will also sell like crazy on brand name alone if they price it right.

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3672 on: March 16, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
If s-e don't put ff10 HD on steam they're fucking idiots.

They won't. :(

Beezy

« Reply #3673 on: March 16, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
Do we know for a fact that the Ys games have sold well on Steam? What about the japanese shoot em ups on there?

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3674 on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
What Japanese shoot em ups?

archnemesis

« Reply #3675 on: March 16, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »
It has sold well enough to motivate XSeed to release more Falcom games on the platform.

Shoot 'em ups:
• eXceed - Gun Bullet Children
• eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
• eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3676 on: March 16, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »

Also, why does everyone think (insert niche Japanese game here) will sell better on PC? Does PC have a history of people who are into Japanese games? As far as I can tell, no. On GAF, the average PC "master race" kid tends to mock anything even remotely Japanese or "console-ish", as they wipe off cheeto-dust on their too-tight Metallica t-shirt. Maybe they'll get some sales in a Steam sale when they are marked down to $5.

Hasn't Derrick01 suffered enough?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
He's an annoying fuckwit that needs to diaf.
[close]

It's the usual crazy PC/Steam fegs who are in every thread port begging, just ignore them.

Console fegs do this all the time PC threads.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:45:47 PM by D3RANG3D »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3677 on: March 16, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
I am not poor so I don't read PC threads, sorry.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3678 on: March 16, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »

You are fegburt, with a gaming pc and peripherals to play shitty hentai games :smug

Beezy

« Reply #3679 on: March 16, 2013, 05:49:36 PM »
It has sold well enough to motivate XSeed to release more Falcom games on the platform.

Shoot 'em ups:
Also Sine Mora. I thought there was more than this. Oh well.

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3680 on: March 16, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »
There was a rumor Dynasty Warriors 7XL was coming to steam via the registry. Game came out on PC definitely....but not in English and never on steam. For niche games it just seems like they don't want even more money. I'm pretty positive Ys games have sold far better on steam than they did on PSP.

Technically Sine Mora isn't a Japanese.shooter, Bees.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3681 on: March 16, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »

You are fegburt, with a gaming pc and peripherals to play shitty hentai games :smug

Don't remind me, the wait for Monster Girl Quest 3 is destroying my penis.

archnemesis

« Reply #3682 on: March 16, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
Sine Mora is great, but it was developed by a Hungarian developer with some Japanese input. Jamestown is also really fun non-Japanese shoot 'em up.

Beezy

« Reply #3683 on: March 16, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »
 :ohhh

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3684 on: March 17, 2013, 01:46:12 AM »

Shoot 'em ups:
I bought all of those last year, people look at me funny when they observe me playing bullet hell games :(

archnemesis

« Reply #3685 on: March 17, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »
Are they any good?

mjemirzian

« Reply #3686 on: March 17, 2013, 05:56:57 AM »
I bought all of those last year, people look at me funny when they observe me playing bullet hell games :(

They're probably looking at you funny because those games are full of pedobait and moe.

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3687 on: March 17, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
:shh don't mention social awareness to momo :shh

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3688 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »
Are they any good?
Yeah if you can get used to the pixel width hit zone of bullet hells and 'get' the whole pattern finding thing you'd like it. It runs like shit on Win7 though, escape throws you back to desktop, alt+ tab doesnt work etc.

They're probably looking at you funny because those games are full of pedobait and moe.
A very likely story

:shh don't mention social awareness to momo :shh
:maf

archnemesis

« Reply #3689 on: March 17, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »
I'm on Windows 8 so I guess I'll avoid them for now.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3690 on: March 17, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »

Hasn't Derrick01 suffered enough?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
He's an annoying fuckwit that needs to diaf.
[close]

ROFL, Derrick01 once called me out for being a broken record... saying "oh you talk about how much you love Japanese games all the time"...

when the best is - I've probably enjoyed more western games this gen than he did!
^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3691 on: March 17, 2013, 03:55:43 PM »
Isnt derrick just a borys wannabe?

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3692 on: March 17, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
Isnt derrick just a borys wannabe?

He's just has the mentality that the every game is shit because it's not the same as the old games,  aka every game has to be like late 90's early 2000's PC gaming or it's shit.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3693 on: March 17, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »
I saw gaffots are obsessed with him though.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3694 on: March 17, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »
I saw gaffots are obsessed with him though.

It's more of they are laughing at him not with him, but then again it's gaf :wtf2

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3695 on: March 17, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »
Nah, some seem to have taken a liking to him. They were humoring him by showing awareness of his notoriety in a thread recently, I forget what it was.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3696 on: March 17, 2013, 10:34:06 PM »
Nah, some seem to have taken a liking to him. They were humoring him by showing awareness of his notoriety in a thread recently, I forget what it was.

The WRPG's are casual thread? Well I don't laugh with him but laugh at him, and the other notorious PC Gaf twatters.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:37:55 PM by D3RANG3D »

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #3697 on: March 17, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
wtf happened to this thread

mjemirzian

« Reply #3698 on: March 17, 2013, 10:54:52 PM »
There are plenty of posters like that on gaming forums that think their opinions are facts and don't understand game design or analysis. Thankfully they seem to be mostly absent from this forum.

What happened to this thread? No new sales data to post I guess.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #3699 on: March 17, 2013, 10:55:05 PM »

How bout dem sales?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3700 on: March 17, 2013, 11:16:55 PM »
The WRPG's are casual thread? Well I don't laugh with him but laugh at him, and the other notorious PC Gaf twatters.
Yeah, that's the one. Salsa Shark proved that he earned his place on my ignore list.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3701 on: March 18, 2013, 02:59:55 AM »
will try to fix

npd numbers(jvm)
Last year's hardware units: 1.7mm
This year's hardware units: 1.1mm

A decrease of 36%. :(

PSV: down almost 190K
Wii: down almost 130K
Xbox 360: down 125K
PS3: down almost 90K
3DS: down over 70K
NDS: down about 35K

cat

archnemesis

« Reply #3702 on: March 18, 2013, 03:15:51 AM »
I guess we should expect the 360/PS3/Wii to be down when they're on their last year, but it's pretty damning that all the new consoles also are down YoY.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3703 on: March 18, 2013, 06:27:49 AM »
UK charts

Square Enix take a second week at the top with ‘Tomb Raider’ (-72%) holding off a host of new debutants to remain at No1.

It means Sony have to settle for second spot with Demi God Kratos returning in ‘God of War Ascension’ at No2. Ascension becomes the 6th title in the series but fails to emulate the success of God of War III which took the No1 spot in Week 11 2010 with more than double the sales. It does however become the second biggest Week 1 in the series surpassing the debut week of God of War II which took the No1 back in Week 17 2007.

Activision Blizzard and developer Blizzard Entertainment round off the No3 spot with ‘StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm’. The PC title shares something in common with current chart topper ‘Tomb Raider’ being another ‘Event’ title with a Tuesday launch. There’s also a debut at No4 as City Interactive return with ‘Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2’. In its first week it doesn’t break the Top 3 however it does top its predecessor which has never climbed higher than No8 in our All Formats chart.

Three new titles in our top 4 means last week’s No2 ‘SimCity’ (-50%) drops to No5 ahead of ‘FIFA 13’ (-14%) at No6. Ubisoft’s ‘Far Cry 3’ (-3%) climbs a spot to No7 above EA’s ‘Crysis 3’ (-42%) which slips to No8. ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops II’ (-14%) drops to No9 while ‘The Sims 3: University Life’ (-57%) which made its debut at No4 last week slides to No10.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

01 (01) 360 TOMB RAIDER SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
02 (NE) PS3 GOD OF WAR: ASCENSION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
03 (02) PS3 TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
04 (NE) PC STARCRAFT II: HEART OF THE SWARM (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
05 (03) PC SIMCITY (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (NE) 360 SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 2 (CITY INTERACTIVE)
07 (NE) PS3 SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR 2 (CITY INTERACTIVE)
08 (04) PC THE SIMS 3: UNIVERSITY LIFE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (09) 360 FIFA 13 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (11) 360 FAR CRY 3 (UBISOFT)

Not sure if UK is the best market to judge GOW but it seems like Oscar will be right(again) about GOW:A US sales.I don't think you can blame UK market downfall for the decline when Tomb Raider on 360 sold better.

Next week is time for one more prequel,Gears of War:Judgement.Should be fun to watch.

Still no WiiU games but next week has few candidates...Monster Hunter, NFS:MW,Walking Dead
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:59:36 AM by maxy »
cat

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3704 on: March 18, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »
Niche genre cough cough

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3705 on: March 18, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »
How can you call your own mom that Oscar  ???

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #3706 on: March 18, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »
 :childplease

« Reply #3707 on: March 18, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »
Still no WiiU games but next week has few candidates...Monster Hunter, NFS:MW,Walking Dead

Is the interest in this genuine or just WiiU owners desperate for games?
野球

« Reply #3708 on: March 18, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »

Is the interest in this genuine or just WiiU owners desperate for games?

I don't really know anything, but my assumption is that at least some of the interest is genuine just from people that want to support the notion that the Wii U isn't underpowered. I think Criterion has fostered some good will by getting the message out that this port is actually improved in some ways. Of course, I don't expect that to translate into massive sales or any noticeable bump in terms of hardware, but I can see it doing better than other late ports, though obviously the bar is very low in that regard.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3709 on: March 18, 2013, 03:01:11 PM »
I doubt this port would sell even if it was on something other than WiiU,racing genre is in serious decline.Who knows,maybe there are like 2000 WiiU owners interested in this game.That should should be enough to get into top 40.

cat

archie4208

« Reply #3710 on: March 18, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
http://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/simcity-sells-more-1-million-launch

Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced that SimCity™ recorded more than 1.1 million units sold through in the first two weeks, making this the biggest SimCity launch of all time. Roughly 54 percent of those sales have been of digital versions of the game, downloaded directly to players’ PCs via Origin™ or other digital download services.

Welp

Kim Kardashians Butt

« Reply #3711 on: March 18, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
Idiotas.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3712 on: March 18, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
I'd be willing to fill a death note if I had those 1.1 million names

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3713 on: March 18, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
Shouldn't be a surprise, it's a much-hyped entry in a long-running, popular series.

But I bet most of the sales came on the first day or two.
dog

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #3714 on: March 18, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »
the internet overestimates its power again

"what do you mean average joe doesn't care about online only DRM, even after it smacks him directly in the face"

« Reply #3715 on: March 18, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »
Personally, I'm part of the contingency that doesn't like always online-DRM, will avoid it (or avoid paying anything close to full price) more often than not, and wish that publishers would stop implementing it. However, in the wake of the Sim City fiasco (and the Diablo 3 one before it), I still find it counterproductive and offputting when gaming enthusiasts ride around on their high horse lamenting that less-informed consumers have screwed them over and are ruining their hobby with their idiocy and laziness.

Yeah, it's not particularly reassuring when something like this happens and you find out that it did gangbusters in terms of sales. But at the same time, I don't think that means that it's time to call people who bought the game dumbasses who are ruining gaming. They spent money in the hopes of being entertained and got burned. The focus of our ire should still be on EA.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3716 on: March 18, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »
There is nothing wrong with bitching when your rights are slowly being eroded away.

That being said, its a separate issue from whether said bitching will actually have an impact in the real world or that it extends beyond a niche segment of people on the internet.

« Reply #3717 on: March 18, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »
There is nothing wrong with bitching when your rights are slowly being eroded away.

That being said, its a separate issue from whether said bitching will actually have an impact in the real world or that it extends beyond a niche segment of people on the internet.

I'm not arguing against bitching. I just think it needs to be directed at the right people. My casual perusal on launch day had a post from you indicating that you almost pulled the trigger on purchasing the game before you thought better of it. If -- in just a moment of quickly weighing your desire to play a new SimCity versus the game's $50 (or $60) entry fee -- you decided "why not?", I wouldn't lop you into the pile of people who deserve a big "fuck you" for being uninformed. That's all I'm getting at. You would just be an impulsive consumer in search of another outlet of escapism.

But that doesn't mean that those who were against the DRM before release should just keep their mouths shut. We should absolutely continue advocating against this, now with more ammo for why it's an egregious practice.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #3718 on: March 18, 2013, 04:08:50 PM »
BOOM

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.—(BUSINESS WIRE)— Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced that John Riccitiello will step down as Chief Executive Officer and as a member of the Board of Directors, effective March 30. The Board has appointed Larry Probst as Executive Chairman to ensure a smooth transition and to lead EA's executive team while the Board conducts a search for a permanent CEO. The Board will consider internal and external candidates with the assistance of a leading executive search firm.

Mr. Probst has played a leadership role at EA since 1991. In addition to serving as Chairman of the Board since 1994, he previously served as the Company's CEO from 1991 to 2007. As CEO, Probst successfully grew the Company's annual revenues from $175 million to approximately $3 billion, led EA into new platforms such as mobile, online and other emerging markets and expanded its international presence to more than 75 countries.

"We thank John for his contributions to EA since he was appointed CEO in 2007, especially the passion, dedication and energy he brought to the Company every single day," said Mr. Probst. "John has worked hard to lead the Company through challenging transitions in our industry, and was instrumental in driving our very significant growth in digital revenues. We appreciate John's leadership and the many important strategic initiatives he has driven for the Company. We have mutually agreed that this is the right time for a leadership transition."

On behalf of the Board, Lead Director Richard A. Simonson stated, "As we begin the CEO search, we are fortunate that Larry, who has a proven track record with our employees, partners and customers, has agreed to assume a day-to-day leadership role as Executive Chairman. He has 16 years of experience as CEO of EA and a deep understanding of the Company's strategy, management team, business potential and industry trends."

Mr. Riccitiello stated, "EA is an outstanding company with creative and talented employees, and it has been an honor to serve as the Company's CEO. I am proud of what we have accomplished together, and after six years I feel it is the right time for me pass the baton and let new leadership take the Company into its next phase of innovation and growth. I remain very optimistic about EA's future - there is a world class team driving the Company's transition to the next generation of game consoles."

I guess somebody could make a new thread
cat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3719 on: March 18, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »
My post wasn't really aimed at your post Steve. Just a general statement. It happens a lot on the internet and forums that people seem shocked that the real world doesn't share their opinion on a lot of issues whether its deserved or not in some cases.

Online DRM doesn't really bother me. The lying from EA bothers me more but that's just a personal peeve thing of mine.

I don't think Online DRM bothers Joe Regular average consumer. He just wants a good game that's fun and worth his time. Which is not to say that EA isn't lying about why they implemented it in SimCity or that they don't practice anti-consumer practices all over the place.

I guess what I'm saying is that I get why people are bitching about Online DRM but for big companies like EA, they don't and won't care. If the bitching has any effect, it has it on smaller devs and publishers that can't necessarily afford to piss of their consumers.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:15:06 PM by Stoney Mason »