Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1188348 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Next-Gen Sales Thread |OT| We already sold all the sales. Sorry.
« Reply #7260 on: August 09, 2015, 02:09:22 PM »
And based on D3ranged post it looked like VC did 220,000 on PC. Which is good for a 5+ year old port of a PS3 game, yeah, but 1/2 of what you said it did. I couldn't find any sales numbers from the console versions aside from VGchartz which as we all know makes shit up.

(Take with a grain of salt, free weekends skew numbers and the numbers aren't 100% accurate but Steam developers have said they're "close to bang on the mark." Private Profiles [like mine] will not be counted, so you can throw +1 in on that if you want)

http://steamspy.com/app/294860

At this moment: Players total: 336,686

NOTE that's for... a six(?) or so year old title. Nearly 200,000 south of half a million for a late port isn't a bad thing. This is what Rah is not understanding, if there was no "serious consideration" from Japan, why is the demand for Japanese titles in the ballpark of 20,000-500,000 a pop for each title put on Steam?

Because there's a demand for it and that's why Japan is starting to "take PC seriously."

"B-B-BUT BAD PORTS AND--"

No1currs as to the quality of the ports. Dark Souls had a horrible port as far as PC features go and it sold over a million.

All you have to point at is the amount of owners (489,071). I doubt free weekends counts them as owners because they disappear once the weekend is over if you haven't bought it.

Steam Spy will count Free Weekenders as owners because Steam gives EVERYONE (literally all accounts) the title on the free weekend and people don't restart the client/etc so when the free weekend stops, the numbers don't drastically drop to the accurate numbers. It's why Steam Spy now (rightly) has a "this had a free weekend, take the numbers with a grain of salt" for it. It's not an accurate sales number like NPD or other retail charts, but it is "accurate" as far as non-free weekend games go.

Himu

« Reply #7261 on: August 09, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »
Ah, thanks.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7262 on: August 09, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »
List wars aren't really my thing but:

-Ys 8 (this may get on Steam but 7 and Celceta were never released on the platform)
-Omega Quintet
-Natural Doctrine
-J-Stars Victory vs
-Bloodborne
-Last Guardian

DQ Builders, DQ Heroes, Atelier Sophie, and Persona 5 are getting PS3 releases as well but no PC release.

I'm sure FF15 and KH3 will eventually come to the PC but it's weird how they haven't been announced yet for the platform. Which makes me think the ports will come late, a la Type-0.

- Ys 8 - likely
- Omega Quintet - compile heart? We're considering them now? OK. :yeshrug
- Natural Doctrine - :yeshrug
- J-Stars Victory vs :yeshrug
- Bloodborne - SCE published, not surprising
- Last Guardian - SCE published, not surprising
- DQ Builders -  zero reason to get excited for this yet
- DQ Heroes - is on ps3 in JP, not too much skin off my nose, will import
- Atelier Sophie - Gust can't ignore Steam sales for too long, and I am betting they will start porting soon
- Persona 5 - Same for Atlus

You really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for the most part.

This leaves PS4 worth owning for the following:

- DQ11
- DQ11
- DQ11
- DQ11
- Any DQ spin off
- That rare SCE game that's worth playing
- The rare JP console only game that's worth playing
- Want a simplified gaming environment with one system for all things, and who can hate that? But be honest about it.

As for waiting for FF15 and KH3 :yeshrug We can wait, they will come.

I was never not honest about the fact I wanted a simplified gaming environment that will get the majority of the games I'm interested on (the other bit being WiiU/3DS exclusives). Nor was I chastising JP devs for making PC ports, it doesn't seem like it's financially a lot of skin off their backs and the numbers are pure profit. It's smart for them to do it.

And hey, I will admit I'm in the wrong and looking at the sales numbers, there's a bigger market than I expected for JP games on PC. I guess I just still latch on to that old stereotype that the majority of PC gamers are interested in complex strategy games, weird euro simulation games, WRPGs and dungeon crawlers... and they aren't so much into more 'arcadey' experiences.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #7263 on: August 09, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
That comment wasn't for you, but Rah. :smug
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7264 on: August 09, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
And hey, I will admit I'm in the wrong and looking at the sales numbers, there's a bigger market than I expected for JP games on PC. I guess I just still latch on to that old stereotype that the majority of PC gamers are interested in complex strategy games, weird euro simulation games, WRPGs and dungeon crawlers... and they aren't so much into more 'arcadey' experiences.

Pretty much all of us started doing it gradually. Most pc players I know these days are former console players and didn't grow up playing on pc. Most of us have dropped the console market last generation, because it was such a bad generation. Games people wanted weren't offered, so people went to get their fix elsewhere.  The barrier for entry is easier than ever. Last generation, because the generation went on so long, eventually, even low-level gpus and cpus were above console level. So you could buy a basic HP laptop like an Envy, and have better performance than your friends 360 or ps3.

Dark Souls and Ys are what jump started this. Dark Souls sold a million on Steam, Ys 3 port was the first attempt I saw at prodding the market and it paid off. Eventually, we got old releases like KOF98 and stuff and now we have stuff like MGSV coming out.

It's been a slow burn, and it took a lot to get our voices heard, but we finally got what we wanted: JP games on Steam.

That's a large reason why you're seeing these sales. Not only are there more players purely interested in these games, like Dark Souls, but A LOT of weeaboos moved to PC when it was considered an option to do so.

And no, pretty much every genre is well represented and sold well on Steam. it's a diverse platform that accommodates to diverse amount of people.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #7265 on: August 09, 2015, 03:25:10 PM »
List wars aren't really my thing but:

-Ys 8 (this may get on Steam but 7 and Celceta were never released on the platform)
-Omega Quintet
-Natural Doctrine
-J-Stars Victory vs
-Bloodborne
-Last Guardian

DQ Builders, DQ Heroes, Atelier Sophie, and Persona 5 are getting PS3 releases as well but no PC release.

I'm sure FF15 and KH3 will eventually come to the PC but it's weird how they haven't been announced yet for the platform. Which makes me think the ports will come late, a la Type-0.

- Ys 8 - likely
- Omega Quintet - compile heart? We're considering them now? OK. :yeshrug
- Natural Doctrine - :yeshrug
- J-Stars Victory vs :yeshrug
- Bloodborne - SCE published, not surprising
- Last Guardian - SCE published, not surprising
- DQ Builders -  zero reason to get excited for this yet
- DQ Heroes - is on ps3 in JP, not too much skin off my nose, will import
- Atelier Sophie - Gust can't ignore Steam sales for too long, and I am betting they will start porting soon
- Persona 5 - Same for Atlus

You really had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for the most part.

This leaves PS4 worth owning for the following:

- DQ11
- DQ11
- DQ11
- DQ11
- Any DQ spin off
- That rare SCE game that's worth playing
- The rare JP console only game that's worth playing
- Want a simplified gaming environment with one system for all things, and who can hate that? But be honest about it.

As for waiting for FF15 and KH3 :yeshrug We can wait, they will come.

I was never not honest about the fact I wanted a simplified gaming environment that will get the majority of the games I'm interested on (the other bit being WiiU/3DS exclusives). Nor was I chastising JP devs for making PC ports, it doesn't seem like it's financially a lot of skin off their backs and the numbers are pure profit. It's smart for them to do it.

Can it be both? Now I can get both my Eurojank, and weeabuguu~ on. :rejoice

thisismyusername

« Reply #7266 on: August 09, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »

This. You can get your Nihongo Kusoge and Polski gówno together now. :rejoice

Himu

« Reply #7267 on: August 09, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
I'm looking to be upgrading soon and I'm not sure what to do: get a gaming laptop (1500) or buy a cheap computer (like an hp or something) and then put in a 970 and an i7 or just order a gaming pc from maingear. Thoughts?
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #7268 on: August 09, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Western Dog Shit :expert
[close]

archie4208

« Reply #7269 on: August 09, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »
I'm looking to be upgrading soon and I'm not sure what to do: get a gaming laptop (1500) or buy a cheap computer (like an hp or something) and then put in a 970 and an i7 or just order a gaming pc from maingear. Thoughts?

Build it.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7270 on: August 09, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »

:dead

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7271 on: August 09, 2015, 06:11:45 PM »
Omega Quintet will probably get a PC version before long, considering the numbers that the Neptunia games have been getting. Even Fairy Fencer F is pulling in decent numbers [18k after less than a week].
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7272 on: August 09, 2015, 08:43:01 PM »
Talking to rah like his opinion matters

:heh
I really hope you die so very much and you can take that smug douche himuro with you.

Himu

« Reply #7273 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:56 PM »
How the fuck am I smug?! :rofl

I gave you facts. All I said was that Japanese developers are making it so that they can port their games to other systems more easily. Somehow you took this as a means of relaying a pro-MASTER RACE ELITE PC GAMING position, rather than the reality of what is happening currently in gaming. Then you took that, and started to insult and prod and DENY every single bit of evidence.

I have not been smug about shit! :lol Point me to where I'm being smug. If I am being smug about anything, it is towards your absolute foolishness and willingness to deny, deny, deny evidence and FACTS in favor of PS4, PS4, PS4 this entire discussion!
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7274 on: August 10, 2015, 01:16:46 AM »
Srsly, himu. The only correct way to deal with Fuckwad McDipshit here is to just ridicule him until he explodes and then runs away with his tail between his legs.

But for real, though, rah.

yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7275 on: August 10, 2015, 01:30:33 AM »
That's all you fucktards do to me. Even before I supposedly "explode" you already come at me with complete assholishness. I don't devserve to be treated like an idiot because I don't fall in line with all your people's bullshit. username can't even fucking read what I'm saying and continues to be an asshole to me for no reason. And then you who's always been a gigantic asshole to me for no reason almost on que comes in and decides to belittle me even though I have nothing to do with you.

I said nothing about the PC being viable. Why that become part of the argument I don't know. I never implied the PS4 was anything other then a viable platforum to motivate development and I get blasted for being a Ps4 fanboy even though none of you fucks can argue against that. Again would any of these console games be in development if not for it's success outside of Japan?  Even with Steam? I fucking doubt it and none of you have been able to argue against that? Yet, I'm supposedly the dumb dulsuinal one even though none of you fucks seem to actually listen to what I'm saying. It's all actually the PC is great PC THIS, PS THAT! STEAM STEAM STEAM! Even though fucking username already basically admitted that if anything they've only begun to actually see PC is viable. I give reasons as to why Steam has yet to be become an actual focus. You tell me I'm wrong with the most flimsy logic. Oh a few recent games are actually treating the PC just like the console, I guess that counters any of the other points. Whatever I don't care, I hope you all fucking die. Every time I try to argue anything I get fucking attacked and then shit by douches like Snorenado. This is the worst place to talk about anything. And every Himuro post reads like "oh look at me, I'm such a unique and smart snowflake'. Fuck you.

Also, you keep bringing up "there won't be any JP exclusives..." like it means anything. As if there will be many JP console exclusives as well. Do it, name the JP console exclusives, and you'll have a point. But you'll have to dig. You could start with Blloodborne and DQ11, but SO5 and Exist Archive have a high probability of being released on Steam.
And this is the prime example of such bullshit here. You can assume everything is going to turn PC, but oh no you can't assume they won't because mustnt take away from the pro PC argument. Even though shit like Ys and future Falcom titles don't have a 100% chance of coming to PC, you know if you actually pay attention and see that nothing really after Ys 7 that was new from them has come to steam. Oh yeah mustnt assume that things like SO5 and Last Arcive won't even though it's not like Tri Ace has an actual history of putting games on PC and both of them aren't Unreal. How about something like Nier? Nope ignore that one to. DQ Builders? Nope ignore that one because we supposedly don't know the quality of it. Yeah that dosen't sound like bullshit in order to hurt a point. Don't even bring up Kingdom Hearts because of course it will be on PC because Unreal despite Disney having an uneasy history on Steam. Yakuza games aren't on PC. Cyberslueth probably won't be on PC. Persona 5 probably won't be on PC,  Odin Sphere and future Vaniliaware titles probably won't be on PC, Dragon Quest Heroes and other Special Musuo titles aren't coming to PC seemingly,  and there more then 5 things that don't seem to be on PC.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:44:58 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7276 on: August 10, 2015, 01:32:23 AM »
:umad
:umad :umad :umad
yar

Himu

« Reply #7277 on: August 10, 2015, 01:37:27 AM »
This argument started from me thinking you giving too much credit to ps4. That's all. :yeshrug You're right that ps4 is influential, but you took a pretty non-serious argument, shooting the breeze with friends and made it feel personal. It isn't PC this or PS that or anything. The original premise of this discussion was that there's a new recent boost in Japanese console games. You deemed it was SOLELY because of ps4. I unanimously disagreed, expressing as to why. That's not to say PS4 isn't an element, but you act like a Sony fanthing in regards to the system and this entire argument as if you're defending its honor despite the fact I said I'm going to buy a ps4 multiple times!

I think that quoting specific sections of peoples posts turns people off immensely. At least it does with me. I don't like that. I prefer people responding to the bulk of the posts content. I think that quoting sentence by sentence tends to rid posts of their general message and makes it into...word bites, mere quotations, without a cohesive whole, and it creates a lot of miscommunication. Which I think happens a lot in arguments with you. I love arguing and shooting the shit. It's just that you sometimes take things personal, or PERCEIVE to take things personal by way of quoting mass portions of posts instead of replying to their entire whole.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7278 on: August 10, 2015, 01:42:54 AM »
Here is the post that kick started this entire discussion. I still stand by it. Notice that I NEVER SAID A THING ABOUT PC.

The recent boom of console RPGs literally has nothing to do with Sony. Ps4 has sold less than 360 lifetime in Japan.

The recent boom of console JRPGs is wholly due to tech. Namely, an engine called Unreal 4. You'll notice every new Japanese game is using it. It is up to you as to guess why.

Also, this is the post that kick started you somehow thinking I'm all, PC, PC, PC.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=37709.msg2071330#msg2071330

All I really said was:

2. There are far more market options now, you can easily make a game for ps4 and port it to PC AND turn a profit

Sure sounds like PC PC PC PC PC PC PC MASTER RACE to me! :what
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:48:16 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #7279 on: August 10, 2015, 01:58:21 AM »
username can't even fucking read what I'm saying and continues to be an asshole to me for no reason.

I'm being an asshole to you because you have the wrong misconception.

You: "PC gaming isn't even a factor for Japan."

Rest of Us: "LOL 2+ years of PC exploding and Dark Souls helping usher in Japan sales here."

You: "Yeah, but those PC ports are shit thereby Console first and--"

Rest of Us: "And, no one cares. Japan 'taking PC seriously' means they're actually starting to port shit. Baby steps, dude."

You: "Yeah but those PC ports are still shit."

You keep bringing up that "consoles first" is somehow "Japan doesn't take PC seriously!" when it's more "Japan doesn't know what PC gamers want when it comes to a port thus those shit ports are shit because they have no idea." Then you have the misconception that UE4 isn't a factor for the JRPG "boom" coming back to consoles.

Here's the thing: Japan got buttfucked hard by HD last generation. This is the reason they moved to mobile, they had no clue how to do HD engine development and didn't learn to use middleware like Western devs did since the PS2 era (go see: Renderware and it powering GTA3/VC/SA for Rockstar). They were "top dog" that era so they didn't learn the "path of least resistance" programming and development for faster/cheaper turn around.

Unreal Engine finally getting proper documentation is why UE4 is being used by Japanese developers in droves (and partly why the Fox Engine is probably being shitbinned by Konami since Kojima's goal was to license that). It's why Square is finally starting to realize that instead of building shit for one title like FF13 and then having to repurpose the engine/assets to make back their money, they can simply create the assets while modifying a middleware engine to suit their purpose.

Also, BONUS BONUS BONUS: They can then port the source-code to whatever platforms that Middleware supports. This even includes... *gasp* PC which has demand for Japanese titles for them to "take seriously." This means after their first port they get feedback (read: Durante's post to them in regards to PC customization features and the like) on what PC people want in regards to the ports and then can work on them. This mostly isn't a problem when they develop on PC and are using a PC-based engine/middleware to do it. It's a matter of toggling those custom options on a la their "debug/dev kit" for the engine.

Quote from: You
Even though shit like Ys and future Falcom titles don't have a 100% chance of coming to PC, you know if you actually pay attention and see that nothing really after Ys 7 that was new from them has come to steam.

See above. Rinse and repeat of the cycle from you.

"But there's no new titles coming to PC from them, thereby console first and--"

"--Late ports, etc. Nobody really cares so long as the port happens eventually. They can not announce it and then release it later. See: Grand Theft Auto 5."

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7280 on: August 10, 2015, 02:09:18 AM »
So in summary, Japan taking PC seriously means treating PC gamers as 2nd class citizens. Fine, I don't care. I don't care about PC gaming. Yes fine, PC gaming is the reason Japan is making console games again.

Then you have the misconception that UE4 isn't a factor for the JRPG "boom" coming back to consoles.
But I don't. I never brought up Unreal and other engines because they did'nt cross my mind but then I proceeded to not downplay them. So no, I don't have the misconception, but please tell me things I already know.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:17:36 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7281 on: August 10, 2015, 08:58:41 AM »
So in summary, Japan taking PC seriously means treating PC gamers as 2nd class citizens.

That was maybe true about two years ago, it's significantly less true now.
dog

Beezy

« Reply #7282 on: August 10, 2015, 08:59:22 AM »
why did I come in here

thisismyusername

« Reply #7283 on: August 10, 2015, 09:10:50 AM »
So in summary, Japan taking PC seriously means treating PC gamers as 2nd class citizens.

You keep bringing that up as if that's true. :lol

a person who is not accorded a fair share of respect, recognition, or consideration:

This would be true ten fucking years ago when PC ports of Japanese titles weren't happening. If you asked anyone if Street Fighter/et. al. were coming to PC? You'd have been laughed out of the mansion you were in (#PCMASTERRACEYALL). Now a days? It's completely possible.

"Yeah but the ports are shit."

Again, baby steps dude. It's Japan finally realizing there's a fucking market for their shit on the platform. How is this hard for you to get? There is no "second class citizenship" in anything. It's Japan cluelessly trying to get on the platform since it's hot, similar to them grasping at straws on mobile. The thing is, mobile was new and not an "established platform" for longer than it took them to get onto PC. Thereby they were as clueless as the western devs.

That was maybe true about two years ago, it's significantly less true now.

Also this.

I don't even know why I'm bothering with you because Himuro is right: You have some sort of chip on your shoulder to where you have to make this a PC vs consoles debate when there is none. PC is being taken "seriously" in Japan because the west is going that direction. Why do you think console sales are shrinking while PC hardware/sales is starting to rise? Because shit that wasn't on PC before is starting to come because the demand is there.

1+1 = ??? bro.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7284 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
Yeah, I guess PC gamers aren't treated as 2nd class citizens. They just have to deal with crappy ports that someone else has to fix, random versions of games that are gimped, late ports which I guess for some reason doesn't matter even though I see people complaining that they have to wait (but I guess all those threads where PC gamers were mad that GTAV wasn't announced on the PC were fake), and still not being 100% sure games are coming to the point of having to have petitions. Yeah, that's the definition of being treated with respect(because versions that aren't optimized shows this), recognition(because coming late shows it), and consideration(because I guess they eventually listen to petitions).

I did'nt try to make this a PC vs console debate, because I don't really care what goes on on the PC. I just did'nt think it was a huge part of Japanese gaming or really the main focus/place for them. But I guess they are because no one cares about crappy ports that come late and obviously Japan is focusing on PC because games simply come whenever and however. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7285 on: August 10, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »
Yeah, I guess PC gamers aren't treated as 2nd class citizens. They just have to deal with crappy ports that someone else has to fix, random versions of games that are gimped, late ports

Dark Souls 1 PC [3 years ago] was a bad port, that's true, and came out nearly a year after the console versions. Dark Souls 2 PC came out just 6 weeks after the console versions and was a far, far better port than the original. I'll be very surprised if the PC version of Dark Souls 3 doesn't come out on the same day as the console versions.

I did'nt try to make this a PC vs console debate, because I don't really care what goes on on the PC.

Uh...yeah, we've gleaned that from your previous posts. But maybe you should care a little bit if you're going to be making a dozen lengthy posts about the current PC market for Japanese games.
dog

Himu

« Reply #7286 on: August 10, 2015, 10:24:30 AM »
The ports are shit argument is even asinine. Ultra SFIV has the best net code, the least input lag, the best graphics. It is the best version. ??? Baby steps what? ??? The trend will likely be true for SFV.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7287 on: August 10, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »
Asinine?

So Square's terrible ports of the XIII games didn't happen.

That terribly un optimized port of Killer is Dead never happen.

The Akiba's Strip port that simply won't work on some hardware didn't happen.

The Deadly Premonition port lacking any actual signs of being a quality port didn't happen.

The delay between Blaz Blue games does not happen.

Hell that fiasco with Dead or Alive 5's port must have not happen either. Has Koei made an actual good pc port?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7288 on: August 10, 2015, 10:45:37 AM »

The Deadly Premonition port lacking any actual signs of being a quality port didn't happen.

Are you actually speaking from experience here or are you just repeating something you read on GAF?
dog

Himu

« Reply #7289 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »
Dynasty Warriors 8 XL is fantastic. Koei have made multiple PC versions of their games over the years and are not new at this.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7290 on: August 10, 2015, 10:54:52 AM »

Are you actually speaking from experience here or are you just repeating something you read on GAF?
I can of course speak from experience on the XIII games. Also Deadly. The rest are just from reading about them.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7291 on: August 10, 2015, 10:56:48 AM »
But really, though, the fact that all those games you listed got PC ports within the past year or two is pretty telling in itself.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7292 on: August 10, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »
Again, baby steps dude. It's Japan finally realizing there's a fucking market for their shit on the platform. How is this hard for you to get? There is no "second class citizenship" in anything. It's Japan cluelessly trying to get on the platform since it's hot, similar to them grasping at straws on mobile. The thing is, mobile was new and not an "established platform" for longer than it took them to get onto PC. Thereby they were as clueless as the western devs.

Just to correct you, Japan was huge on mobile back since the pre-smartphone/flipphone days. Tons of ports of classic games (I wish that the Seiken Densetsu 1 port got a US release), all those gatchapon card games, etc. back when the west was still playing Snake and sluggish Java-based Tetris.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7293 on: August 10, 2015, 12:14:14 PM »
Dynasty Warriors 8 XL is fantastic. Koei have made multiple PC versions of their games over the years and are not new at this.

It has had technical issues, has no online play, and uses PS3 assets.  I haven't been very impressed with Koei's PC offerings.  They claim that Samurai Warriors 4-II will be the same as the PS4 version (not sure about One Piece Pirate Warriors 3), so maybe things will get better.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7294 on: August 10, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »

Just to correct you, Japan was huge on mobile back since the pre-smartphone/flipphone days. Tons of ports of classic games (I wish that the Seiken Densetsu 1 port got a US release), all those gatchapon card games, etc. back when the west was still playing Snake and sluggish Java-based Tetris.

That's correct.  The only thing that took Japan longer to jump onto were smartphones.  Nobody cared about the first iPhone launch over there in 2008.  Most phones already did a lot of the stuff smartphones did at the time  and had features that smartphones didn't get until recently, like eWallets and the like.

I remember seeing billboards advertising a Final Fantasy VII-related phone game back in 2004.  Billboards!

Had some pretty cool games on my phone.  Used to enjoy this Valis 1 remake that had redone visuals and music.  It's too bad stuff like that is pretty much lost forever.
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7295 on: August 10, 2015, 12:26:09 PM »
Guys, I just want to say that the past 3 pages have never made me feel better about being a pc only gamer if that's the sort of sperglinger that plays only consoles.
yar

Himu

« Reply #7296 on: August 10, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »

It has had technical issues, has no online play, and uses PS3 assets.  I haven't been very impressed with Koei's PC offerings.  They claim that Samurai Warriors 4-II will be the same as the PS4 version (not sure about One Piece Pirate Warriors 3), so maybe things will get better.

What technical issues? Only real issue is no online. 60 fps is a fine trade off. I can never connect and play online with anyone on any Musou game anyways. People barely play online as it is, even on ps3. Even then, nothing you really said negates my point that they're still great ports. Who cares if they're PS3 assets? I sure don't.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7297 on: August 10, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I expect PS4-level visuals and a superior framerate on PC.  There's no excuse not to get both.  The same goes for Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round, which I don't even understand why they bothered releasing since they seemed down on a PC version right from the start.

Go check the Steam forums for technical issue stuff...note that I said "had."  I think stuff finally got fixed.  It used to have a lot of crashing issues, for one thing.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #7298 on: August 10, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
You didn't get superior frame rate on PC? Mine is all that and I got really good speed. Much better than on PS3.
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #7299 on: August 10, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
AAA games from Japan seem to be better than ever though. If we look at non AAA Western games exclusively made for PC and all the bugs and technical shit that may follow, we could make a list of that stuff as well. Deadly Premonition runs like complete ass on 360 and PS3. Killer is Dead is in the same boat. Two mid tier budget games that probably got outsourced quick as fuck.

Shit, Warner Brothers shit the bed twice with their AAA offerings on PC this year. Luckily The Witcher 3 devs know how to make PC games and shit wasn't outsourced. 
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7300 on: August 10, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
Anyway, I have to agree that a lot of PC versions of console games still get crappy ports -look at Batman Arkham Knight and Mortal Kombat X if you want more than what Rahx named-  and it's pretty much inexcusable.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7301 on: August 10, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »
You didn't get superior frame rate on PC? Mine is all that and I got really good speed. Much better than on PS3.

I probably should have worded that differently.  I meant that I expect both superior visuals and a superior framerate on PS3.  While I appreciate that it runs significantly better on PC, it doesn't look all that hot and those PS3-level visuals look even worse in 1080P.  There is no perfect version of DW8XL out there, sadly.  PS4 looks the best, but has some major framerate issues.  PC runs the best but looks like PS3, meaning all the enemy pop-in is still there.

That reminds me, I really should get rid of DW8XL on PS4 and get DW8 Empires instead.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7302 on: August 10, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
Guys, I just want to say that the past 3 pages have never made me feel better about being a pc only gamer if that's the sort of sperglinger that plays only consoles.
I actually play things like Civilization, Battlefield, and ironically FF14 on PC. So it really has nothing to do with fanboyism on my part. I simply don't think at least yet that Japanese PC support is anything fantastic beyond that it is actually a thing now. Why you have to be a douche to me no matter what I don't understand. yes, maybe I do fly off the handle but it's only because thanks to people like you I already feel like I'm posting in a hostile environment. Whatever, I know you're just a bitter dude anyway so I shouldn't even give a shit.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7303 on: August 10, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
I actually play things like Civilization, Battlefield, and ironically FF14 on PC. So it really has nothing to do with fanboyism on my part. I simply don't think at least yet that Japanese PC support is anything fantastic beyond that it is actually a thing now. Why you have to be a douche to me no matter what I don't understand. yes, maybe I do fly off the handle but it's only because thanks to people like you I already feel like I'm posting in a hostile environment. Whatever, I know you're just a bitter dude anyway so I shouldn't even give a shit.

The only things that I keep seeing that come off as "hostile" here are your posts.  Stop taking this place so seriously.  It's fucking VIDEO GAMES. 
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7304 on: August 10, 2015, 04:44:49 PM »
Sorry, I can't help it. I try to not be hostile, but I can't I guess.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #7305 on: August 10, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
Yeah, Creepy Old Guy may have a bit of an abrasive personality (still love ya tho  :-* ) but I have never heard him tell someone to kill themselves...

Rahx, while I do agree with you that some people overblow JP PC support, and while I also generally prefer console to PC, it's still just video games and it's not really something worth caring too much about..

..well, arguing can be fun and therapeutic (I've traded blows with Himu and Segata among others), there comes a point where it's unhealthy though.
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7306 on: August 10, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »
I have told JayDubya to kill himself multiple times, but he's just a libertarian, so.
yar

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #7307 on: August 10, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »
I have told JayDubya to kill himself multiple times, but he's just a libertarian, so.
So...the market will decide whether he lives or dies ???
vin

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7308 on: August 10, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »
I think it's more accurate to say that the market has spoken, and it quite frankly doesn't give a shit if he lives or dies.
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #7309 on: August 10, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »
Anyway, I have to agree that a lot of PC versions of console games still get crappy ports -look at Batman Arkham Knight and Mortal Kombat X if you want more than what Rahx named-  and it's pretty much inexcusable.

Actually, on the drive today I was thinking that. Both sides have shitty PC ports now and then, it's not just Japanese exclusive. But Japan is the "new kid" in town to where some of these ports are at least excusable up to a point. If Tecmo's next PC title is still as bad as DoA5 or that Dynasty Warriors title, they can promptly fuck off. There's only so much rope people will give them while they find their footing but if they continue to stumble I don't blame people for dropping their support. Same with the west. Arkham Knight's outsourced port is inexcusable.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:49:12 PM by thisismyusername »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7310 on: August 10, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
My life can't be all that shitty; one of us could afford Witcher 3 at launch, and it wasn't you.

:neogaf
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7311 on: August 10, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
I'm sorry you're not dedicated enough to pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps to buy nice things for yourself.
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7312 on: August 10, 2015, 07:24:12 PM »
Well, I thought this thread couldn't possibly get any worse. I was wrong.
dog

archie4208

« Reply #7313 on: August 10, 2015, 09:02:56 PM »
I hate to interrupt all the shitposting but how about some actual sales news.

In the last four months there were at least 107 million copies of games sold on Steam.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7314 on: August 10, 2015, 09:08:25 PM »
Well, I thought this thread couldn't possibly get any worse. I was wrong.

Despite being so much smaller a site, posters really put in that extra effort to be as melodramatic as any other forum.

thisismyusername

« Reply #7315 on: August 11, 2015, 01:21:54 AM »
I hate to interrupt all the shitposting but how about some actual sales news.

In the last four months there were at least 107 million copies of games sold on Steam.

B-B-BUT PS4 IS BRINGING JAPAN BACK TO CONSOLES!

Nahhhh it can't be the former PC engine turned multiplatform engine that is doing that. Can't be.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7316 on: August 11, 2015, 03:05:26 AM »
Again, I never said anything thing discrediting the use of multi engines.  But sure all the anoucments of Japanese games for PS4 mean nothing. Companies making Vita ports or day 1 pS4 versions means nothing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:11:15 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7318 on: August 11, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »
Take 2 earnings are 81% from consoles.

Imagine how little pc means for jap devs. Single digit.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #7319 on: August 11, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
Take 2 earnings are 81% from consoles.

Imagine how little pc means for jap devs. Single digit.

I hope this is sarcasm
 :ufup
OH!