Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1867045 times)

Green Shinobi

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #7560 on: February 07, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »
The Comcast/NBC merger was approved?

M3wThr33

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #7561 on: February 07, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »
Oh. I guess maybe not. I saw the Al Franken piece yesterday and just assumed it was on its way.

Bebpo

« Reply #7562 on: February 07, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
The livenation/ticketmaster merger makes me sick.  I already pay 2x the ticket price with "service charges" ($15 ticket + $15 charges) and it's only going to get worse now.

total bullshit; stop this country I want to get off.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7563 on: February 07, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »
Well, it IS under investigation, but like fuck they'll do anything. Hell, the Comcast/NBC merger and Ticketmaster/Livenation merger were approved and those contradict SOOO fucking much.

Also, check this:
(Image removed from quote.)

Palin is so dumb that she makes George W. Bush look like Green Shinobi.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #7564 on: February 07, 2010, 02:47:39 PM »
I've been out of the loop. is there seriously a movement to make the tea party an actual party?  :lol

someone was talking about this last night...

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #7565 on: February 07, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »
Quote from: Sarah Palin's left hand
"Energy"
"Budget (cut?)"
"Tax"
"Lift American spirits"

:rofl :rofl :rofl

the team responsible for Sarah Palin should land a sitcom for this.

Oblivion

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #7566 on: February 07, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
Quote from: Sarah Palin's left hand
"Energy"
"Budget (cut?)"
"Tax"
"Lift American spirits"

:rofl :rofl :rofl

the team responsible for Sarah Palin should land a sitcom for this.

On her other hand she wrote:

- Definite nucular weapons: IraN
-Possible nucular weapons: Iraq
-Obama: Black, O'Biden: White
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:01:10 PM by Oblivion »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #7567 on: February 07, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
Another day, another puzzling remark from Harold Ford:

“I’m not comparing myself to Bobby Kennedy by any stretch, but he was opposed by the liberal establishment, too,” Ford said. “Eleanor Roosevelt was the biggest opponent to him running.”

That’s via Ben Smith who observes that Roosevelt died in 1962. Kennedy didn’t run for Senate until 1964. Is Ford going to use a time machine and go back to 2008 to take out Chuck Schumer and other key Gillibrand supporters?
http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2010/02/harold-ford-goes-negative-on-eleanor-roosevelt.php

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #7568 on: February 09, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/washington/stories/DN-ronpaul_07tex.ART.State.Edition1.4bf50f3.html

Ron Paul isn't Tea Party enough for the Tea Partyers

Even GOP conservative Ron Paul draws Tea Party opposition

12:00 AM CST on Sunday, February 7, 2010

By TOM BENNING / The Dallas Morning News
tbenning@dallasnews.com

WASHINGTON – Even anti-government icon Ron Paul can't escape the conservative "Tea Party" fervor stretching across the county.

Paul, the Gulf Coast congressman whose 2008 presidential run excited libertarians nationwide, even though he didn't get much traction overall, is considered by many to be the "father of the Tea Parties." But he has three opponents in the March Republican primary – more than he has faced in his past six primary campaigns combined.

All three have ties to the anti-tax Tea Party movement. And while Paul remains the odds-on favorite to win re-election in his district, the crowded primary highlights the potential conflict between Tea Party activists and a GOP hoping to ride their wave to electoral success this fall.

"The Tea Parties have awakened a lot of everyday people here and across America," said Tim Graney, one of Paul's opponents. "And Ron Paul is worried about getting swept up in the anti-incumbent wave as if he is some exception."

Not in lockstep

It is hard to know where Paul fits into the Tea Party landscape. Paul supporters say he launched the movement in 2007 when he raised $6 million in a one-day, Web-based fundraiser on the 234th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party. His call for limited government and ending the Federal Reserve also resonates loudly in the Tea Party movement.

"Dr. Paul is proud to play a small role in getting this phenomenon going," said his campaign spokesman, Jesse Benton.

That phenomenon has also propelled Paul's protégés – including his son Rand, who is running for a U.S. Senate seat in Kentucky, and former Paul campaign volunteer Debra Medina, who is surging in the Texas GOP primary race for governor.

But the movement has clearly moved beyond Paul's dedicated core of supporters, a fact the congressman has seemingly acknowledged. He plans to attend a Tea Party-sponsored candidate forum in Katy this month, but he has distanced himself from the Tea Parties in recent interviews because of the antagonistic tone of some rallies.

"He has a very good relationship with the Tea Parties," Benton said. "But it is very important that these rallies maintain a certain level of decorum and respect."

Paul's opponents don't dispute that last point. But both Graney and Gerald Wall said they were inspired to run by their Tea Party involvement, and all three challengers are trying to tap into the movement's passion and enthusiasm.

"The Republican Party left its principles," Wall said. "And these Tea Parties are filled with people who want to take back our party."

John Gay, Paul's third opponent, said he has attended several Tea Parties and related meetings. Both Wall, a machine supervisor, and Graney, a former small-business owner, have helped organize local rallies.

Tea Party associations aside, many of the challengers' criticisms echo concerns of Paul's past opponents: that he is too focused on his national ambitions; that his views are too extreme; that he doesn't support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; that he votes "no" on everything, including federal aid for his district after Hurricane Ike.

"The word I keep hearing is 'ineffective,' " said Gay, a school business administrator. "This district is not really being represented as it could be."

'Attack dogs'

Paul's campaign aides scoffed at those charges. Benton, Paul's spokesman, acknowledged that the vote against hurricane aid was difficult, but he said Paul couldn't set aside his belief in fiscal conservatism.

But Paul is buoyed by the advantages of longtime incumbency and an ability to raise significant campaign cash, and Benton said the campaign wasn't worried about the competition. Paul has more than $1.9 million in the bank, while none of his opponents has more than a few thousand dollars, according to their most recent campaign finance disclosures. Three Democrats are vying to take on the Republican winner in the fall, but the district is overwhelmingly Republican.

"We are not taking these challengers very seriously," Benton said. "But we would never take any votes of the 14th District for granted."

And Paul – who understands a thing or two about grass-roots politics – took a more defensive stance last month in a letter to his supporters. Paul wrote that his opponents had "turned their attack dogs loose on me" and cautioned that the anti-Washington sentiment could take him out as well.

"While I think this development is a good thing," he wrote, "I am going to have to work hard to ensure I am not caught up in the same wave and swept out of office before our job is done."
Tonya

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7569 on: February 09, 2010, 09:57:12 AM »
Did you know that grassroots is code for corporate backed entity these days?
©ZH

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7570 on: February 09, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »
So...is there name going to be the tea party party?

And of course they don't like Ron Paul.  The guy is not very popular on a national level and his constituents basically only like him because he goes against the stream.  My guess is that they're hoping to implode the Republican party completely and take every politician they can out of it and into a more polarized, backwards direction.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7571 on: February 09, 2010, 11:59:33 AM »
The tea party is really nothing more than an attempt by the GOP to re-brand itself
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/02/07/palin/index.html

...and after only a few months it seems like it's imploding.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #7572 on: February 09, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/139452/original.jpg

(Image removed from quote.)

It's in Wyoming, heh.

If ever I see one of these signs, I will not sleep until it is destroyed.
UK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #7573 on: February 09, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/washington/stories/DN-ronpaul_07tex.ART.State.Edition1.4bf50f3.html

It's the Reign of Terror all over again!  To the guillotine dictateur Paul!

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #7574 on: February 09, 2010, 02:21:59 PM »
aging alternative icon henry rollins weighs in on the tea party

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/politics/2010/02/were-gonna-have-a-tea-party-tonight.html

The head spins. This will take days to filter. Days? Weeks, months even. There’s Tom Tancredo’s recent baby’s-up-past-bedtime blather at a Tea Party event about the “cult of multiculturalism”—wow! Mr. T, do you really want to have a literacy test for voters? Think if they had one when you ran for office that you would have been elected? Oliver North’s melding of homosexuality and pedophilia on Fox News when he flexed his mini-mind and ranted paranoid on the topic of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell—righteous! Ollie, you need better makeup to hide the gills on your neck! Don’t Ask Oliver North where he can get one solid fact to back up his bizarre assertions. Don’t Tell the shamed ex-Marine that the military already has thousands of brave homosexual men and women serving their country and defending the Constitution, who would never think of behaving as he did back in the Iran-Contra days. Then again, why bother with Lieutenant Colonel North? He’s an irrelevant relic of the failed Reagan administration.

Then there’s Sarah Palin, who, egged on by other intellectually malnourished “real Americans,” has said so many startlingly stupid things in the last few days, the comedic furnaces won’t be cooling down any time soon! She’s a dynamo of dumbassity! An inferno of idiocy! Yes, Ms. Palin, 2012 is almost in your grasp! Reach for the stars, get a map, find Iran, start another pointless war we can’t afford! Score!

Just when America really needs to get to work and move forward, some of the dimmest bulbs in the country decide it’s time to turn on and lead the race to the bottom. Christian groups freaked out by the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act and its threat to their religious freedom to hate homosexuals—don’t worry, homophobes! The First Amendment protects your right to tell the world that gays are hell-bound! No one’s trying to impose a “homosexual agenda” on you! The rest of us are just trying to impose some much-needed decency and cultural evolution. I know, I know, fear the change, fear the equality, progress, blahblahblah …

You silly grown-ups! The future is hilarious and very problematic, thanks to you. Cheer up! I’ll do my best to track your epic, very public nosedive.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7575 on: February 09, 2010, 02:23:11 PM »
Ron Paul is still the tea party Big Boss  :o

According to a new poll from PPP, right-wing tea party candidate Debra Medina, making her first bid for public office, is nipping at the heels of incumbent Gov. Rick Perry and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison in the Texas Republican gubernatorial primary.

Medina, who wasn't even on the radar before the recent gubernatorial debates, is now within 4 points of Hutchison and 15 points of Perry. Perry clocks in at 39% support, Hutchison at 28%, and Medina at 24%.

If no candidate wins 50% of the vote -- a prospect that seems increasingly likely -- there will be a run-off between the top two finishers. This poll is the first indication that Medina has a decent shot of ending up in the top two positions.

Dave Weigel explains Medina's surge:

Medina owes at least some of her support to Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), who has employed her on his electoral bids and with his Campaign for Liberty, and who tipped off his supporters to her candidacy in September. While the challenge Paul is facing from three Tea Party candidates reveals that the movement is much more hawkish and traditionally Republican in federal elections, the 10th Amendment argument is clearly a winner with state voters.

And how much further to the right is Medina than the other candidates? While Perry edged away from his apparent endorsement of secession at an April 15 Tea Party, Medina spoke in August at a "sovereignty or secession" rally.

You know the GOP is losing its grip on reality when Rick Perry's pro-secession antics might not be right-wing enough for them.
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/2/9/835428/-TX-GOV:-Tea-Party-candidate-surges-with-Ron-Pauls-support

Oblivion

« Reply #7576 on: February 09, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »

Of course he's not. As PD said, the tea bagger movement was just an attempt by the GOP to re-brand itself. It was made painfully clear, each time one of these mouthbreathers were interviewed.

"This isn't about democrats or republicans. We're sick and tired of both. We just want to go back to the commonsense principles laid by our founding fathers, like lowering taxes, making government smaller, outlawing abortions, putting prayer back in public schools and repealing the thirteenth amendment. :usacry :usacry :usacry"

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7577 on: February 09, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »
And getting rid of social security and medicare
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/02/blackburn-advocates-individual-social-security-accounts.php?ref=fpblg

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i'd hit it
[close]

Oblivion

« Reply #7578 on: February 09, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
Let em go crazy with that. It's better for Obama if they don't realize it.

Also, Cohen, check your PMs. :punch

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7579 on: February 09, 2010, 04:09:18 PM »
They're so convinced they're going to take over in November that they aren't afraid to reveal the plan on medicare/social security. Never mind the public rejected their social security ideas last time. Dems should be hammering the fuck out of them on this. And if they were smart, put a medicare buy-in into the reconciliation bill so that the message has an impact on more people. Like say, 55 year olds.

too bad dems r dumb

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #7580 on: February 09, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »
privatizing social security was a dumb idea in 2005 when there was at least a sorta-healthy stock and investment market.  To even bring up the idea now is about as smart as tazering a rhinoceros in the balls and then calling it a pussy.

M3wThr33

« Reply #7581 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
The GOP taking over easily in November is exactly as smug as the left was assuming that they wouldn't lose Ted's seat.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7582 on: February 09, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »
Yea, the Pubs are just as much in danger of losing "safe" seats as the Dems this election. Either from within their own party or from Democrats that are not connected to Washington.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7583 on: February 10, 2010, 01:21:01 AM »
especially now that they think campainging on cutting social security/medicare is a good idea

M3wThr33

« Reply #7584 on: February 10, 2010, 02:33:44 AM »
especially now that they think campainging on cutting social security/medicare is a good idea

LET THEM get cocky. Right now they got 1 SEAT and are so fucking full of themselves. That's a good thing.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7585 on: February 10, 2010, 02:43:43 AM »
Republicans -- Not Obama -- More Often on Wrong Side of Public Opinion

One of the more commonplace assertions among pundits on the center-right -- made rather carelessly by Victor Davis Hanson and more thoughtfully by Jay Cost, is that agenda put forward by Obama and the Democrats is overwhelmingly unpopular and that Democrats are simply getting their comeuppance for having pushed such a liberal set of reforms forward. These claims, however, rely on selective evidence, invariably citing policies like health care and the GM bailouts which are indeed unpopular (strongly so, in some cases), while ignoring many other issues on which Obama has been on the right side of public opinion.

In fact, a more objective and equivocal evaluation of public opinion on more than two dozen specific issues finds that the Republican Congress has far more often been on the wrong side of it. Attempting to be as comprehensive as possible, I've identified 25 issues that Obama and the Democrats have made an affirmative effort to push forward since taking office a year ago, and summarized public opinion on each of them. Most of the numbers that I've cited come from PollingReport.com.
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/02/republicans-not-obama-more-often-on.html

Long list at link. More evidence Obama's unpopularity is due to the struggling economy, not because he's some liberal fiend. Too bad democrats are too scared to act, and republicans can block everything. smh

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7586 on: February 10, 2010, 11:43:41 AM »
I'm not concerned about lowering the deficit, and neither is the average American when the economy is good or decent. And the majority of Americans support raising taxes on people making $250,000+ a year

I saw a headline where Boehner was complaining that Obama didn't cut military spending, but if he had cut it the republicans would be throwing a fit. I'd love to see big cuts there but it's just not going to happen.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7587 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
We actually don't need to make major cuts in military spending, as much as we need to properly manage it. The military is a bureaucratic mess that has bungled defense contract spending and is too expansive. It needs to be consolidated, streamlined and held accountable for defense spending.

Nobody has any interest in doing so, because the wildly out-of-control military spending lines the pockets of too many important individuals - despite the fact that failing to do so will have negative, lasting consequences.

But that is the story of our country. Put it off until later.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:51:52 AM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

Green Shinobi

« Reply #7588 on: February 10, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »
I don't think I've ever been so angry in all my time on the internet as I was recently when reading over the comments on union-related stories on politico.

Basically the argument is "If you support a worker's right to make a living wage, you're a goddamn socialist!"

I've never felt such a strong desire to do bodily harm to people on the internet.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7589 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »
I think streamlining and transparency is the key to fiscal responsibility.  If people are seeing that taxpayers are paying $50 per bottle of water you can get for 79 cents at a local convenience store, then contractors would be less likely to get away with it.  IMO.
🍆🍆

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7590 on: February 10, 2010, 11:24:49 PM »
Now that corporations are people too, I want Google to run for president. They would be infinitely better than the shitheads that have run the country for the past 20 years.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7591 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:01 PM »
Now that corporations are people too, I want Google to run for president. They would be infinitely better than the shitheads that have run the country for the past 20 years.

What would be the website equivalent of Sarah Palin?
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7592 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:03 PM »
Quote from: ToxicAdam

You just made Prole's shitlist.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7593 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »

What would be the website equivalent of Sarah Palin?

WND.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7594 on: February 10, 2010, 11:51:19 PM »
ToxicAdam's solution to corporate interference with democracy: cut out the middle man :lol
PSP

Phoenix Dark

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7596 on: February 11, 2010, 12:28:18 AM »
God, I wish David Broder would just hurry up and die already.  He's so fucking useless.
yar

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7597 on: February 11, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »
ToxicAdam's solution to corporate interference with democracy: cut out the middle man :lol

Hey, I see many from the left yearn for a benevolent dictator, I yearn for a benevolent corporation.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7598 on: February 11, 2010, 12:34:50 AM »
Quote from: ToxicAdam

You just made Prole's shitlist.

nah, i don't hate google. besides, americans would elect goldman-sachs, not a bunch of ratbag information hippies.
duc

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7599 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:02 AM »
That's not true... first we'd show how outraged by Goldman Sachs' business practices by passing a Constitutional Amendment repealing the capital gains tax completely.  THEN we'd elect them.

AMURIKA AM STOOPIT
yar

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #7600 on: February 11, 2010, 01:17:11 AM »
I don't think I've ever been so angry in all my time on the internet as I was recently when reading over the comments on union-related stories on politico.

Basically the argument is "If you support a worker's right to make a living wage, you're a goddamn socialist!"

I've never felt such a strong desire to do bodily harm to people on the internet.
There was some rampantly stupid shit going about the airwaves, on frikin national TV, not the mention the net, back when GM was closing all those union-plants.  Being in a auto union doesn't mean you glide to work on golden ice skates, but you wouldn't know that from the glee those free market types took in people losing their jobs.

seriously, fuck the GOP/Fox News/all those corporate worshiping entities that look to get (and are getting) the country they so very much want and deserve.

Tristam

« Reply #7601 on: February 11, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/10/AR2010021002451.html

Broder suggests that we take Sarah Palin seriously and I damn well agree with him! Lately I've been coming around to her nuanced policy for handling terrorist organizations and rogue states: WE WIN; THEY LOSE. I mulled over it for a while and I decided that there's really no better solution, save perhaps admitting that we don't actually have all the answers and waiting for divine intervention.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:27:02 AM by Tristam »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #7603 on: February 11, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »
Time for Obama to go 'gangsta' on GOP
By Roland S. Martin, CNN Political Analyst

(CNN) -- Civil rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer made famous the phrase, "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."

For me, I'm sick and tired of Democrats having power and being unwilling to use it. I've always respected Republicans when they had power because they were willing to use it and maybe apologize later.

Today, President Obama walked into the White House briefing room and took some questions, and one of them revolved around recess appointments.

He has watched Republicans block many of his appointments, and now he says he made it clear to them that he will "consider" making some when the U.S. Senate goes into recess.

"One senator, as you all are aware, had put a hold on every single nominee that we had put forward due to a dispute over a couple of earmarks in his state," President Obama said.

"In our meeting, I asked the congressional leadership to put a stop to these holds in which nominees for critical jobs are denied a vote for months. Surely we can set aside partisanship and do what's traditionally been done to confirm these nominations.

If the Senate does not act -- and I made this very clear -- if the Senate does not act to confirm these nominees, I will consider making several recess appointments during the upcoming recess, because we can't afford to allow politics to stand in the way of a well-functioning government."

This is where the president needs to show his toughness and just do it. Forget the threats. The actions of Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Alabama, and other Republican obstructionists will continue if President Obama allows them to run roughshod over him. When you're the top dog, you do what you have to do to govern. Allowing Republican senators to continue to deny your appointments is nonsense.

If all of them choose to support a filibuster, then you take it to the American people and show the obstructionists for what they are. You get your grass-roots movement fired up to stand up and do something. The political right used its base to go after Democrats who blocked appointments to the federal bench and other positions. So why not be just as aggressive?

If there are members of your own party who stand in the way, such as Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Nebraska, then you also blast them and make them pay for acting so foolishly.

This president got rolled by the Senate over health care. His team made some boneheaded mistakes, and now they are paying for them. Continuing to play footsie with opponents will only get him into more trouble. He should set a deadline to have his folks confirmed. If not, appoint them all during the recess and go on about your business.

Obama's critics keep blasting him for Chicago-style politics. So, fine. Channel your inner Al Capone and go gangsta against your foes. Let 'em know that if they aren't with you, they are against you, and will pay the price.

PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7604 on: February 11, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »
[youtube=560,345]Q_DrLRJ_5dc[/youtube]
PSP

Oblivion

« Reply #7605 on: February 11, 2010, 07:18:26 PM »
I can't believe it's actually been over 9 months, and 70 of Obama's appointments are still being held up. I know being the president might cause you to be busy, but don't you kinda, you know, NEED these key people asap? Why has he barely mentioned anything about this at all?

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #7606 on: February 11, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »
Because he's a pussy.
PS4

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7607 on: February 12, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »
Sounds like Obama went all gangsta on McConnell, demanding they stop holding up his appointments or else.
According to Politico, Obama was "forceful" with McConnell, saying in the meeting: "If you don't move any, I'm going to do some [recess] appointments."
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/02/obama-to-mcconnell-stop-the-obstruction.php?ref=fpblg

McConnell gave up, the votes are going to happen.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7608 on: February 12, 2010, 12:08:30 AM »
I wonder if a right-wing pundit accused Obama of "going gangsta" how that would be perceived by the left.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7609 on: February 12, 2010, 12:11:16 AM »
Also, how come white people can't say the n word?  So unfair.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7610 on: February 12, 2010, 12:14:25 AM »
Nice, Reid showing some balls too

Bipartisan agreement on jobs lasted all of a few hours. This afternoon, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus announced he'd reached accord with ranking member Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA). They unveiled what was supposed to be a final jobs package. But the agreement didn't sit well with many Democrats, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has pulled it out of their hands, and announced he'd move ahead with a smaller bill.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/02/so-much-for-that-bipartisan-jobs-agreement-falls-apart-almost-instantly.php?ref=fpa

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7611 on: February 12, 2010, 12:35:48 AM »

Why would we need to? We have held many meetings and developed a sophisticated array of "code words" to facilitate our inherently racist nature. Remember that party line that helps keep the blacks in line so they keep voting for the Dems?

--- /// ---

Financial institutions could face $300bn in losses related to commercial real estate in 2011 and beyond, putting smaller banks at the most risk, according to a report from the Congressional Oversight Panel (COP).

Congress established COP in October 2008 to oversee the spending of the $700bn from the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). Between 2010 and 2014, the Panel found that $1.4trn in commercial real estate will mature, and almost half are currently underwater.

I see another storm coming ...

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:53:00 AM by ToxicAdam »

Oblivion

« Reply #7612 on: February 12, 2010, 04:16:35 AM »

Quote from: Chris Rock
Last I checked, being able to say the word 'nigger' was the only advantage I had to being black. How about we trade: You guys get to say "nigger", and I get to raise interest rates.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7613 on: February 12, 2010, 07:42:41 AM »
I don't wanna sound racist, but I think Republicans might be genetically incapable of satire.

pollo

« Reply #7614 on: February 12, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
Because he's a pussy.

All that needs to be said

Brehvolution

« Reply #7615 on: February 12, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
I don't wanna sound racist, but I think Republicans might be genetically incapable of satire.
Which is pretty weird considering the fantasy world they live in.
©ZH

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7616 on: February 12, 2010, 10:52:09 PM »
Pew Research: http://people-press.org/report/589/midterm-electionchallenges-for-both-parties

Anti-incumbent sentiment at historic records.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7617 on: February 12, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »
Looks like we know who PD is supporting for Gov in TX.

yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7618 on: February 12, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »
I still think the disapproval numbers are due to the economy.  If there was a strong turnaround, I bet we see a strong turnaround of Democratic disapproval.  Especially since Obama won mostly because of the economy.
🍆🍆

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7619 on: February 12, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »
Obama won because he was perceived as the "outsider".

http://www.barackobama.com/media/2007/09/03/obama_touts_his_outsider_theme.php

It's been the running theme for two (and possibly three) election cycles now.