Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1867306 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #10740 on: October 21, 2010, 09:10:38 PM »
It's baffling how quickly the right has come to Juan Williams' defense over his comments

No its not.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #10741 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12:57 PM »
It is though. His comments are pretty clear cut out of bounds when transferred to any other race or religion. There's no "sacred" ground to grandstand on either, like with the 911 mosque issue.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10742 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, which are the prominent right every day say something either racist, sexist, or anti-muslim. If you are shocked that they will at any cost defend one of their own on these issues, (even though Williams is supposed to be a fox news "liberal") I'm not sure where you've been the last decade.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10743 on: October 21, 2010, 09:23:16 PM »
True. I guess my point is that this is such a head of hypocrisy I can barely process it. Like I said, at least with the mosque they had a crutch to take advantage of.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10744 on: October 21, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »
Muslims taking away our freedom of speech. Now he's probably going to be tried under Sharia Law and stoned. :usacry
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10745 on: October 21, 2010, 11:35:30 PM »
Probably will go vote tomorrow even though in FL a lot of races are forgone conclusions.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10746 on: October 21, 2010, 11:39:44 PM »
Yeah, I told a democratic campaign volunteer tonight that I was voting sometime in the next week, and that I was going to vote straight Democratic with the possible exception of my shitty congressman, who voted against healthcare and financial regulation and likes to brag about it.  SUCK IT BLUE DOG!
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10747 on: October 21, 2010, 11:57:32 PM »
I'm voting for a republican governor :teehee

I'll have to do some research and find out if any blue dogs will be on my ballot. I always vote, but I'm not attending any campaign shit this year. Definitely not working for a party of pussies.

« Reply #10748 on: October 22, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »
I voted the other day, hopefully Dino Rossi loses again.
野球

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10749 on: October 22, 2010, 01:15:49 AM »
The only position that I could imagine not voting for the Dem in my state is for the senate although its a moot point. Jack ass rubio is going to win no matter what. Meeks and Crist are splittling the anti-rubio vote so neither has a chance of winning so I'm not sure who to vote for although like I said, it doesn't matter. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10750 on: October 22, 2010, 01:24:41 AM »
Can't believe a dude who wants to phase out social security/medicare is going to win in Florida.

this whole country is fucked
:walter

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #10751 on: October 22, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »
Can't believe a dude who wants to phase out social security/medicare is going to win in Florida.

地平線

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10752 on: October 22, 2010, 09:11:17 AM »
:bow
©ZH

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #10753 on: October 22, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
in our defence, we didn't become fundamentalist morons, we always were fundamentalist morons
Tonya

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10754 on: October 22, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
Can anyone link me to events that would cause the right to hate George Soros? Is it just because he donated to the democrats during the 04 election against GWB?
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10755 on: October 22, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
hey now, most of us love science so long as it doesn't disprove God and makes us money at the same time.

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #10756 on: October 22, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »

Well he wouldn't have a shot if Crist and Meek weren't splitting the liberal & moderate vote. Either Meek or Crist needed to have their support collapse. It never happened. If dems wanted to hold on to it they should have endorsed Crist, he would have won and caucused with them. Oh well.

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #10757 on: October 24, 2010, 04:48:55 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
Didn't the founding fathers have the ideals of liberty, enlightenment and a republic? :smug

Hell I'd blame democracy and by inclusion the ignorant masses who watch said Friends for the shit America has gotten itself into.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #10758 on: October 24, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »

Well he wouldn't have a shot if Crist and Meek weren't splitting the liberal & moderate vote. Either Meek or Crist needed to have their support collapse. It never happened. If dems wanted to hold on to it they should have endorsed Crist, he would have won and caucused with them. Oh well.

Yep.  A shame.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10759 on: October 25, 2010, 03:20:20 PM »
Another great article from Ta-Nehisi Coates

"Black Men Are Watching Every Move I Make..."
http://www.theatlantic.com/personal/archive/2010/10/-black-men-are-watching-every-move-i-make/65111/#disqus_thread

Himu

« Reply #10760 on: October 25, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »
Good article. That book changed my life.

I feel bad about it but I'm not going to vote. I'm not feeling any side.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10761 on: October 25, 2010, 05:21:23 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

goddamn
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10762 on: October 25, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »
Kinda ashamed I haven't read it lol. Growing up I read Soul On Ice, Invisible Man, Go Tell It on the Mountain, etc but never Malcolm X. Really love the movie though :teehee

My favorite book on the African American experience - and my favorite book period - is still Black Boy by Richard Wright though. I haven't read anything that resonates with me more personally than that. I read it at a young age, in part because my cousin was reading it for college and told me I couldn't read it because it was "too advanced" for me. And it definitely was for a 14 year old, although even then I identified with many parts of it. I'd read it again every couple years or so, and it would make more sense having experienced more in life.

Himu

« Reply #10763 on: October 25, 2010, 05:25:25 PM »
Get it. Fantastic book.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10764 on: October 25, 2010, 05:33:31 PM »

When Obama is being impeached for not vigorously investigating voter intimidation by the New Black Panther party, I will remind you that this is all your fault.  You fucking schmuck.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10765 on: October 25, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »

When Obama is being impeached for not vigorously investigating voter intimidation by the New Black Panther party, I will remind you that this is all your fault.  You fucking schmuck.

Who knows, maybe Himu will be a republican by then

Himu

« Reply #10766 on: October 25, 2010, 05:39:12 PM »

I will join this black panther party and Obama has a lot of work to do to make me vote for him again.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10767 on: October 25, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »

I will join this black panther party and Obama has a lot of work to do to make me vote for him again.

Enjoy President Palin then, distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.  Binary choice.
yar

Himu

« Reply #10768 on: October 25, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »

Fuck no. Registered democrat, waiting for a fucking moderate candidate that isn't a whack job. Get rid of the two party system, America no longer needs it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10769 on: October 25, 2010, 05:41:31 PM »

Enjoy President Palin then, distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.  Binary choice.

You don't ACTUALLY believe she'll make it that far.

Haha

hahahaha

ha

haaaaaaaaaaaaa

where's my absentee ballot?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10770 on: October 25, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »
Huckabee 2012

Phoenix Dark

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #10772 on: October 25, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »
is this your homework larry?
:lol
AMC

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10773 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
Fuck no. Registered democrat, waiting for a fucking moderate candidate that isn't a whack job. Get rid of the two party system, America no longer needs it.

What does any of that even mean?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10774 on: October 25, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »
Of course, military funding is the worst form of stimulus*.  Shooting wars mean a lot of deaths, injuries, destruction of physical infrastructure, population displacement, and the general disruption of economic activity.

When you buy a missile, that's millions of dollars spent on a product where the most efficient possible use is to let it sit and collect dust until it's obsolete.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*That is, spending past the point that you need to provide a deterrent.  The value of people knowing a country's not getting invaded is pretty high.
[close]

Tristam

« Reply #10775 on: October 25, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »

So, are you suggesting that Obama is either a whack job or immoderate?  :lol

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10777 on: October 26, 2010, 05:31:45 AM »
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/10/male-rand-paul-supporter-stomps-head-of-female-moveon-member-outside-debate.php?ref=fpb
We really need to get rid of the two-party system - we got crazies on one side stomping on peoples heads and crazies on the other side scuffing peoples shoes with their face.

I'm sitting this one out.
___

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10778 on: October 26, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
I only wish that fox news had standards like NPR.  :usacry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't agree with him being fired.
[close]
Maybe they should have just given him an unpaid suspension or something but it did make sense to punish him somehow.  If it's your job to represent your boss, a political radio station, and you're showing a biased political viewpoint not in line with that boss, then it makes sense for you to be punished in some way.  Now NPR is pretty centrist it seems, they for example also banned their employees from attending a Stewart/Colbert rally.

It makes sense, they want employees who don't make their coverage look biased.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10779 on: October 26, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »
wtf it's not that it's biased it's that he's so dumb that he went out and said something blatantly racist on t.v.  how do you not see... oh, it's am nintendo
pcp

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10780 on: October 26, 2010, 06:17:26 PM »
Being racist isn't illegal, I assumed that the reason Zero Hero didn't agree with firing him was because it feels wrong for somebody to be legally required to represent their employer 24/7/365.  I didn't assume that Zero Hero was fine with someone announcing their racism on national TV.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10781 on: October 26, 2010, 06:26:12 PM »
I see this as a bailout for those of us short of wit now that "at l at least Fox wll hire him" is a once again a hot high-five, at the expense of responsible snark makers who wisely invested their quips in longer yield lols
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:35:53 PM by Mamacint »
___

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10782 on: October 26, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »
Being racist isn't illegal, I assumed that the reason Zero Hero didn't agree with firing him was because it feels wrong for somebody to be legally required to represent their employer 24/7/365.  I didn't assume that Zero Hero was fine with someone announcing their racism on national TV.

keeping a racist on staff generally reflects poorly on your organizaton, especially if said organization happens to be a fucking liberal news & opinion outlet
pcp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10783 on: October 26, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »
Whether he knew it or not (he did), when you are talking on a panel or as a guest, you represent your employer, especially if it is part of your job.  He said views that were inconsistent with the employer.  Pretty simple and straight forward.

Considering the huge payday he received from Fox News, I doubt he is shedding any tears over it and neither is NPR I suspect.

Anyway, I voted early.  Straight Democrat ticket, except for various people in local level elections who are non-party.  Democrats have been shit for the past two years but Republicans are a nightmare.  Voted for the lesser evil.  I opted not to donate to the Democrats this time because of what I said two sentences back.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10784 on: October 27, 2010, 01:18:03 AM »
Gonna vote tomorrow probably.  Not sure if I'm gonna vote for my shitty blue dog congresscritter, but other than that I'll vote straight dem.  They may be corrupt and incompetent, but at least they're not demonstrably insane like the GOP.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10785 on: October 27, 2010, 03:33:30 AM »
I'd say it has more to do with his job description than with representing the organization generally.  If someone in accounts payable had spouted off the same way it wouldn't be an issue.  But Williams is a pundit.  His job is to interpret and analyze national and world events for the benefit of the listeners.  If he makes himself look foolish or biased then he's not going to be an asset to NPR.  Why keep him around?

Also, I can see why people don't like the "say one dumb thing and you're fired" dynamic and how it might make media people more bland and overcautious.  But there will always be taboos; it's a matter of where you draw the line.  Besides, Juan Williams sucked.  The real problem isn't the talking heads who get fired for making one dumb comment, but the ones who can't get fired despite making a million of them.

Being racist isn't illegal

Which is why nobody arrested him.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10786 on: October 27, 2010, 11:14:06 AM »
I'm not crying for Juan Williams, he sucks ass, and it's really, really nice to see someone finally called to account over Islamophobic comments, but after all this time it's weird to see his *relatively* sort-of mild comments (in comparison to what's spewed daily) being the ones that someone finally gets called out on.

Of course, NPR isn't cable news, so there's that
___

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10787 on: October 27, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »

Why are you acting like he's some janitor who got reported to HR by someone who thinks they heard something from the other table in the lunchroom.

HIS JOB IS TO BE ON TV FLAPPING HIS GUMS, IF HE FUCKS UP WHILE DOING THAT HE IS FAIR GAME
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10788 on: October 27, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
What better way to mark your return to EB than defending Juan Williams

Tristam

« Reply #10789 on: October 27, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »
2012: How Sarah Barracuda Becomes President http://nymag.com/print/?/news/politics/69130/

Clive Crook called the article an "excellent piece," so you already know it's going to suck. Of course she has virtually no chance to ever win the presidency.

Still, our electorate isn't getting any smarter, and it is fantastic to marvel at the incalculable damage Palin could and would do to both the country and the world as POTUS.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10790 on: October 27, 2010, 12:31:39 PM »
She could win depending on the economy. It's not like Obama has endeared himself to voters in Florida, Ohio, PA, etc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10791 on: October 27, 2010, 12:55:01 PM »
It's really amazing how many middle aged women and men believe in Palin.  Fucking idiots.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10792 on: October 27, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
That's an FoC level troll

Brehvolution

« Reply #10793 on: October 27, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »
http://politicalcorrection.org/blog/201010260025
My reaction can be summed up in a several year old videogame meme:
[img]http://www.rpgland.com/heath/forum/bailout.jpg[img]

What Coons would have our schools teach is not science at all, but superstition.

:teehee
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10794 on: October 27, 2010, 02:49:08 PM »
They have to be shitting themselves laughing at how absurd that all is.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10795 on: October 27, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
They have to be shitting themselves laughing at how absurd that all is.

nope
"It's really funny the way that the media reports things," O'Donnell said, in an interview with ABC's Jonathan Karl. "After the debate, my team and I, we were literally high-fiving each other... thinking that we had exposed [that Coons] doesn't know the First Amendment. And then when we read the reports that said the opposite we were all like
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20020296-503544.html

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10796 on: October 27, 2010, 02:58:41 PM »
I'm at a loss for words.  It has to be a joke. 

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10797 on: October 27, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »
They're pretty shifty in getting the dumb out hard and early. At this point reading this I'm not even angry anymore, but just resigned to seeing what I'd hoped America wasn't now get what it deserves. Any solace the O'Donnell won't win is pretty meaningless if we can point to a half-dozen others that might be elected into office in a week.

Will still vote (if you don't you've earned the right to STFU), but goddamn, I can't even work up a smirk over some of this shit.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10798 on: October 27, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »
In the grand scheme of things, failing to take the house would be the best outcome for republicans. It would validate the few moderates left like my new bff Mitch Daniels, send a message to the RNC and ensure 2012 isn't another 1964 for them. Winning the house would boost Obama's 2012's chances (assuming the economy improves) and ensure we get another wave election as a larger turnout of voters boots the crazies back to their holes.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10799 on: October 27, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
I don't think I hate any voter more than the liberal college dbag that doesn't vote because the Dems haven't turn this country upside down and handed out ounces of hydro to everyone.  I'm going to punch them in the dick when they're bitching about the Rep. controlled House next year.