Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1867226 times)

Himu

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19620 on: October 13, 2012, 03:50:38 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Someone on fb said he looked like Joffrey. I said he looked more like a Renly.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19621 on: October 13, 2012, 08:37:14 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19623 on: October 13, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »
PPP is tweeting some of the first reassuring polling news for Obama in about a week, Ohio 51-46, matching where Obama was before the first debate.  Also 20% of registered voters in Ohio have voted, and the vast majority went to Obama.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19624 on: October 13, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »
Yeah, over the last tumultuous week, Ohio - and especially Ohio early voting - has been the firewall that lets me sleep at night
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19625 on: October 13, 2012, 08:19:05 PM »
Sounds like OFA is blowing Romney out the water in Ohio. I see them on campus all the time, they basically don't stop until they have someone registered/fill out ballot/etc

I don't like voting early. My polling place is within walking distance of my place so it's no hassle, yet the OFA folks are trying to convince me I might break my leg or be sick on November 6th so why not vote early blah blah blah. Chill bros, I'm good :smug

MIMIC

« Reply #19626 on: October 13, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
PPP is tweeting some of the first reassuring polling news for Obama in about a week, Ohio 51-46, matching where Obama was before the first debate.  Also 20% of registered voters in Ohio have voted, and the vast majority went to Obama.

I live in Ohio and I haven't voted yet.

In 2008, it was so exciting; EVERYONE wanted to cast their vote the day the polls opened. The early voting line went out the building and down the block. This year....meh. I'll get to it when I get to it  :P But since it's on my mind, I'll probably do it later this week.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19627 on: October 13, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »
I think I'm just going to vote for Sherrod Brown. Won't bother voting for President. There's no real juicy races/issues in Ohio this year.

Issue 1   Constitutional convention    Would create a convention to revise, alter or amend the state constitution.
Issue 2   Redistricting    Would create a citizen commission to draw legislative and congressional district maps.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:51:22 PM by ToxicAdam »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19628 on: October 13, 2012, 08:48:52 PM »
I voted early.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother to wait in line to go and vote on voting day.
🍆🍆

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #19629 on: October 13, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
WDW

Himu

« Reply #19630 on: October 13, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
Watching VP debate.

Amazing.
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19631 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:36 PM »
I think I'm just going to vote for Sherrod Brown. Won't bother voting for President. There's no real juicy races/issues in Ohio this year.

Issue 1   Constitutional convention    Would create a convention to revise, alter or amend the state constitution.
Issue 2   Redistricting    Would create a citizen commission to draw legislative and congressional district maps.

Vote for what you think is right and live with the consequences like the rest of us. It's all we're asked to do.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19632 on: October 13, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »

Brown is quite a liberal, probably the idealogical opposite of you on most issues. Any reason for voting for him, besides his manly voice?

What a hilarious race that has been though. The most expensive non-presidential race in the country, and the best candidate the GOP could muster was a 12 year old boy

benjipwns

« Reply #19633 on: October 13, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
Vote for what you think is right and live with the consequences like the rest of us. It's all we're asked to do.
Can't. GOP gonna GOP and decided they know better about what choices I should be allowed to have.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19634 on: October 14, 2012, 05:07:55 AM »
Quote from: Phoenix Dark

Brown is quite a liberal, probably the idealogical opposite of you on most issues. Any reason for voting for him, besides his manly voice?

I don't have a problem voting for a liberal if they are good at what they do and the other candidate is inferior. I have voted for Marcy Kaptur and John Glenn in the past.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19635 on: October 14, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
Yeah, from what I remember TA is one of that dying breed of self-identifying conservatives that still believes the govt. shouldn't be drowned in a bathtub.
yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19636 on: October 14, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
hey guys arlen specter died
pcp

benjipwns

« Reply #19637 on: October 14, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
A friend of mine didn't even know he had switched parties when he read the PR I got and I started wondering and looking at some of the "famous" party switchers like Jim Jeffords and Zell Miller, etc.

Are there any party switchers you guys can think of recently who have mattered beyond whatever election season they went "OUR GUY SUCKS VOTE THE OTHER!"?

Just to disqualify, any of those congressman who went "oh shit, my district is trending the wrong way, hey did you hear about those gay black illegal immigrants?"

And there's guys like Lieberman and Chafee who went I...but...switching parties?

I'm drawing a real blank. I have to be missing someone?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19638 on: October 14, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
I remember someone switching parties early in Bush's term, which gave republicans control of the house.

benjipwns

« Reply #19639 on: October 14, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
Might you be thinking of Jeffords? He swapped from R to I but caucused with the Dems to break the tie and take the majority away from Cheney.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:05:29 PM by benjipwns »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19640 on: October 14, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »
Was just gonna say, probably thinking of Jeffords.  Thurmond's probably the most famous/longest serving party-switcher.

And as craven and temporary as Specter's switch was, it might be the most important, since it gave Democrats a 60th vote and the ACA.

benjipwns

« Reply #19641 on: October 14, 2012, 02:10:18 PM »
One thing I always wonder about Specter is if he actually expected Democrats to trust him with that switch. The GOP hadn't trusted him for years.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19642 on: October 14, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »
I imagine they were fairly explicit about their expectations for him and what he would be getting in return.  You support this list of major agenda items, and in return you get some seniority and the national party's support in the general election/noninterference in the event of a primary challenge.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19643 on: October 14, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »
Ralph Hall from Texas switched to Republican back in 2004. He was basically a Republican anyway, though.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #19644 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
I imagine they were fairly explicit about their expectations for him and what he would be getting in return.  You support this list of major agenda items, and in return you get some seniority and the national party's support in the general election/noninterference in the event of a primary challenge.
He probably did think the party's support mattered after beating Toomey. Just didn't realize it had been six years. (Although IIRC, big chunks of the GOP were backing Toomey to get another shot and defeat him in the primary. At least the Tea Party types and such.)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19645 on: October 14, 2012, 05:58:55 PM »
There was a bit of party changing that happened after '94.  Ben Nighthorse Campbell (CO senator) switched, that sort of fucked the dems a bit.  A funny image is that at his press conference, you had a bunch of GOP idiots wearing bolo ties in solidarity with him or whatever.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19647 on: October 14, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
WWJB?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
fegs, that's who.
[close]
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19648 on: October 14, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »
Well, I've always said that there's no better way to spread the love of Christ than with some good old-fashioned gay-bashing.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19649 on: October 15, 2012, 05:43:52 AM »
Well, I've always said that there's no better way to spread the love of Christ than with some good old-fashioned gay-bashing.

Mitt Romney likes this post.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19650 on: October 15, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »
The frequently referred to six studies that back up Romney's tax plan:

Of the six studies, two are blog posts by the conservative American Enterprise Institute; one is a report by the Republican-friendly Heritage Foundation; one is a paper by Princeton professor and former George W. Bush adviser Harvey Rosen; the fifth and sixth are a paper and Wall Street Journal op-ed by Harvard economist Martin Feldstein, an adviser to the Romney campaign.

©@©™

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19651 on: October 15, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »
whoops

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/world/middleeast/jihadists-receiving-most-arms-sent-to-syrian-rebels.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Most of the arms shipped at the behest of Saudi Arabia and Qatar to supply Syrian rebel groups fighting the government of Bashar al-Assad are going to hard-line Islamic jihadists, and not the more secular opposition groups that the West wants to bolster, according to American officials and Middle Eastern diplomats.
Tonya

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19652 on: October 15, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
Why is the Heritage foundation still credible? Didn't they also say that the Bush tax cuts would have eliminated the deficit by 2010?
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #19653 on: October 15, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »
http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/10/live-chart?fsrc=scn/tw/te/dc/gopsmacked

America's stockmarket has gained more under Democratic than Republican presidents, The Economist argues. Can't argue with the data.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19654 on: October 15, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
amazing stat of the day

Sarah Palin's leadership political action committee "spent more than $774,000 during the year's third quarter after taking in more than $843,500 -- the bulk of it from donors who contributed $200 or less," Politico reports.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19655 on: October 15, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »
If Missouri is the "show me state" and they elect Todd Akin, what exactly are they showing the rest of us?  That they shouldn't get to vote anymore?
yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19656 on: October 15, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »
as a missouri resident, im ok with disenfranchising us
pcp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19657 on: October 16, 2012, 12:38:29 AM »
This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but does Hillary falling on the sword over Libya end any 2016 talk? I thought it was unlikely to begin with because of her age, but this seems like a final nail in her political career.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19658 on: October 16, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
That's what it seems like to me. On one hand I doubt Libya will be some major issue in 2016 but if she had national ambitions I'd imagine this would be handled differently. Not that the administration has handled this amazingly, but overall the fallout has largely been a partisan hit job to inflate something bigger than it should be - or would be under previous presidents.

The embassy asked for more security and was rebuffed by higher ups at the state department; and as a state department issue it never landed in the White House. To make matters worse, the place wasn't even an embassy - it was a CIA front, meaning we'll likely never have a true understanding of what went down/why.

The worse thing about all this shit is that Glenn Back was pretty much right about something. Shortly after the attack I heard him suggest Stevens was actually a CIA agent, based on stories of how he was smuggled into countries on cargo ships and other things. I can't find the clip on youtube though  :-\

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19659 on: October 16, 2012, 12:57:43 AM »
Haven't been following this too closely, but if she ran she'd do at least as well as last time.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19660 on: October 16, 2012, 01:04:12 AM »
Well yea, she'd almost certainly get the nomination. But I just don't get the impression that she wants it; her husband seems to be pushing it according to a few reports, hence him going all-out for Obama this year. She seems burnt out. Who knows, maybe she writes a book in two years, does some interviews, etc...

I hope she runs of course. It would certainly save us from having to settle for Andrew Cuomo

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19661 on: October 16, 2012, 01:34:27 AM »
Joe Biden in 2016
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19662 on: October 16, 2012, 01:42:47 AM »
I'm starting to get increasingly nervous.  Obama needs to smoke Romney tomorrow or this thing could be fucked.
yar

MIMIC

« Reply #19663 on: October 16, 2012, 03:47:33 AM »
Not exactly political, but I thought this was hilarious.

I was subbing at a school today and the class I was in for had a student teacher...and in this class was a very fervent Obama supporter. He's in the 7h or 8th grade. He had an Obama sticker on in class. He's black, BTW.

Anyway, they class was going over a lesson and was giving example sentences for the word "monotonous". Obama-guy went, "Mitt Romney gives monotonous speeches". This irritated the student teacher (who is white, BTW). She then gave some rant about how what he said is just an opinion....and how Obama could be thought of an a monotonous speaker (giving an almost dead-on impression of the way he speaks: the quick string of 4 or 5 words and then the long pause in between). "Some people could view THAT as monotonous."

REALLY? :lol

So then we move on and the kids are asked to give examples of characters/people they thought were monotonous. Obama-guy raises his hand, she calls on him, and I thought, "Oh shit, here we go again.  :lol"

-"MITT ROMNEY."

I started cracking up. But this time, the teacher went OFF on him. "We all know you like Obama and it's really starting to get annoying" and blah blah blah. She even pulled him out of class for a few minutes (to further reprimand him, I assumed).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:49:40 AM by MIMIC »

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19664 on: October 16, 2012, 05:42:04 AM »
I'm starting to get increasingly nervous.  Obama needs to smoke Romney tomorrow or this thing could be fucked.

Really?  Polls have been pretty good for Obama the past few days. 

benjipwns

« Reply #19665 on: October 16, 2012, 06:44:53 AM »
All this "OBAMA IS GOING AGGRO" stuff is dumb in the next two debates. The town halls aren't made for going after each other, is he going to blunder into a Kerry's out of nowhere rambling about lumber futures by trying to go after Romney personally? Then you get foreign policy when we know the administration doesn't want to talk about Libya and Romney wants any chance to chip away at any Osama grandstanding.

Obama screwed up the first debate, you just move on. He's going to win unless he overcompensates and comes off as the Marxist Kenyan usurper he is.

Biden was mostly irrelevant other than firing up the party nutjobs, the real thing about the VP debates was that Ryan kept to the campaign message, loved that Medicare and wasn't out there talking about the anarchist hellscape he's envisioned where spending only goes up by $1 trillion less than Obama and we have the Patriot Act forever, no medical marijuana and TARP as many times as any big business wants. People despised Paul Ryan so getting a near-draw was good enough. (And the GOP got on a circle jerk over Biden being the most human debater in ages...which he was also during 2008 primaries but nobody cared.)

The Obama team did the same thing as the Bush team in 2004. They put their strongest debate first and bombed on it. They've stopped the bleeding by not getting rolled twice with the VP debate, but they have to compete in two weaker debates. Which is fine if you can hold the map against the challenger, but doesn't let you just end things with the town-hall + strongest. (IIRC, Clinton had this setup in 1992 and it let him keep the Perot abandonders.)

Not that Obama can't dominate and close things out, just from a tactical perspective.

If Missouri is the "show me state" and they elect Todd Akin, what exactly are they showing the rest of us?  That they shouldn't get to vote anymore?
They did elect a dead guy. Although that's a positive in my opinion.

Why is the Heritage foundation still credible? Didn't they also say that the Bush tax cuts would have eliminated the deficit by 2010?
Why is anyone who makes ten year budget/economic predictions credible? :teehee

Joe Biden in 2016
Wasn't there an article in the wake of his debate performance where some dope was arguing he was now the frontrunner?  :lol

I hope she runs of course. It would certainly save us from having to settle for Andrew Cuomo
What, you don't like Deval Patrick?!? Or Kristen Gillibrand? Joe Manchin?

I do wonder what Feingold is up to...

Feingold v. Rand Paul v. Gary.

Make it happen.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:48:08 AM by benjipwns »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19666 on: October 16, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »

Really?  Polls have been pretty good for Obama the past few days.

The bleeding has stopped, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're pretty good.
🍆🍆

benjipwns

« Reply #19667 on: October 16, 2012, 07:15:15 AM »
Even with the bleed out over the last week, Romney still has to work to flip Ohio and Virginia plus some Iowa/Nevada situation. Unless Obama loses his mind in the town hall, everything is going to drift back to him. He won't get the landslide some people were hoping but he should only have up to go from here.

This was never a Bush-Kerry situation.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19668 on: October 16, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »
A town hall-style debate on foreign policy is probably a bad time to come out all 'badass' and cocky. It's probably more important to look like you are empathetic to the people's concerns while stressing all the successes you have had over the past 4 years. 

If anything, Obama should be passive-aggressive and attempt to convince people that Romney is going to significantly worsen our relations with China and Iran. Moderates are weary of unneeded further escalations.

benjipwns

« Reply #19669 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
I think the town-hall tonight is "any topic" and it's the debate next week that's just foreign policy. Maybe I should check.

EDIT: Yeah, it is.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:45:46 AM by benjipwns »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19670 on: October 16, 2012, 08:48:52 AM »
I think you are right. I may be confusing the two. It doesn't make sense to have 'regular folk'  ask foreign policy questions.

Pretend my cutting analysis is from the future.

benjipwns

« Reply #19671 on: October 16, 2012, 08:51:38 AM »
We basically agree though (see above for ramblings), the town-hall and foreign policy debates are harder to get on aggressive on.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19672 on: October 16, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »
A town hall-style debate on foreign policy is probably a bad time to come out all 'badass' and cocky. It's probably more important to look like you are empathetic to the people's concerns while stressing all the successes you have had over the past 4 years. 

If anything, Obama should be passive-aggressive and attempt to convince people that Romney is going to significantly worsen our relations with China and Iran. Moderates are weary of unneeded further escalations.

Preview of tonight's debate:

©@©™

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #19673 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
If Obama wanted to aggressively shoot down bullshit his time to do it was two weeks ago in the man vs man format. He can't take questions from an audience and be a dick about it.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19674 on: October 16, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
I can't really bring myself to read political blogs anymore, I'm so fucked in the head right now. The idea of a President Romney basically has me fearing Mandatory Homo Re-education Camps, Roe vs. Wade overturned, Obamacare repealed, war with Iran, and deficits spiraling out of control (because for all their tough talk, as soon as their boy's back in the office, the deficit suddenly ceases to be an issue). Plus everyone's taxes go up (oops sorry math is hard), except for people making $250,000 a year or more somehow. SAVE ME FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19675 on: October 16, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »
If Obama gets his ass kicked tonight..game over

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19676 on: October 16, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »
Things were looking so good two weeks ago, too.  SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRY TO GO ON VACATION, TREESONG???
yar

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19677 on: October 16, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »

the return of the magenta yenta
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19678 on: October 16, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
The Supreme Court just declined to hear Ohio's challenge of the early voting ruling that will open voting to all citizens for three days before Election Day. No way Romney wins Ohio now, and its hard to see him winnig the election without it

OFA just might blow the doors off conventional wisdom/likely voter models. Can't wait to see some exit polls on Latino and black voting

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19679 on: October 16, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »

the return of the magenta yenta

"I'm for jobs and stuff."

Good Lord :lol
dog